PDA

View Full Version : NEC becomes a scholarship football league!!!

Dane96
November 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
The NEC announced that limited full scholarship football will be in play by next fall. Up to 30 full rides will be given out. From what I understand, the goal is 45 rides by 2008.

This is a definate step in the right direction.

On a side note, America East football (no matter what my CAA friends will say) is on the table. Commissioner Nero has had serious talks with all AE member schools and certain schools in other conferences to form this league. To coincide with this, America East Hockey is also on the horizon (my Northern friends will deny this). Nero has gotten a firm commitment from Boston College to join the league.

Personally, I didnt believe any of this until I confirmed it with a very high placed source at both Albany and Boston College (for the hockey aspect).

Here is the scholarship article:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051119/SPORTS02/51119003/1010

November 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM
The NEC announced ...Nothing officially said yet...

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
The NEC announced that limited full scholarship football will be in play by next fall. Up to 30 full rides will be given out. From what I understand, the goal is 45 rides by 2008.

On a side note, America East football (no matter what my CAA friends will say) is on the table. Commissioner Nero has had serious talks with all AE member schools and certain schools in other conferences to form this league. To coincide with this, America East Hockey is also on the horizon (my Northern friends will deny this). Nero has gotten a firm commitment from Boston College to join the league.

Personally, I didnt believe any of this until I confirmed it with a very high placed source at both Albany and Boston College (for the hockey aspect).

Boston College would be stupid to leave Hockey East without most if not all the schools agreeing to follow. Hockey East is the premier college hockey league.

Dane96
November 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Boston College would be stupid to leave Hockey East without most if not all the schools agreeing to follow. Hockey East is the premier college hockey league.

You are right...they would be stupid. Thing is.....they wont be leaving just assuming a different name. I just spoke (yesterday) with a very, very high source at BC who confirmed the whole thing. It's on the table.......but nothing is short of simple negotiation yet.

Ralph....the vote has occured (I have it on first hand information) and if you read the article, the NEC commissioner was quoted that need based aid "will no longer be part of the equation," when referring to the NEC scholarships.

IT IS A DONE DEAL!

November 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
... I have it on first hand information...Like I said, nothing officially said yet...

Dane96
November 19th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Like I said, nothing officially said yet...
Ralph

You dont always have the first scoop. A conference commissioner giving quotes to a paper is as good as an official announcement. Jesus.

November 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM
...You dont always have the first scoop. A conference commissioner giving quotes to a paper is as good as an official announcement. Jesus.Ahhhhhh, have an axe to grind/chip on shoulder? :rolleyes: I don't like scoops, I like official announcements and all I said was that one hasn't been made yet. Chill.

rcny46
November 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Boston College will never leave Hockey East.I would bet the farm on that.

mainejeff
November 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM
To non-college hockey fans that don't understand what Albany was saying about BC:

America East wants to assume control of Hockey East, and re-name it America East Hockey. Obviously, BC has the biggest say in what happens to the hockey league, so in effect, they are giving their blessing and saying that they are "in". Only thing I see possibly happening is no invites for a couple of the lesser programs in the league (Merrimack, UMass-Lowell?) and possible future invites to schools like URI and UConn.

Do we all understand now? And this IS on the table (among other things).....stay tuned. ;)

footballman65
November 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM
NEC Scholarships are definately happening, will be starting at 30 next year.

aceinthehole
November 20th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Yes, the NEC move to scholarships is official.

----
From the New Britain Herald:

11/20/2005
CCSU to change scholarship rules
By MATT STRAUB , Assistant Sports Editor

NEW BRITAIN -- For the last couple of years, Central Connecticut has been looking to improve its football program. That mission has been accomplished, with the Blue Devils winning shares of the last two Northeast Conference championships.
Coach Tom Masella has often said, however, that he’d like to do more. He wants the program’s reputation to grow even stronger.

Thanks to a ruling this week, that mission now has a better chance of being accomplished.

The Northeast Conference has agreed to remove the financial-need component to athletic scholarships awarded to football players. The change, which takes affect next season should allow teams like Central Connecticut to better recruit players who in the past have gone to full-scholarship I-AA schools like those in the A-10.

"I think the goal is to increase the stature of our league," CCSU athletic director C.J. Jones said. "This has been talked about for a long time, especially in terms of trying to get an automatic bid into the (I-AA) NCAA playoffs. We’re hoping this eventually helps us down the line in that regard, but it helps certainly to raise the level of the Northeast Conference."

In the past the league has permitted member schools to provide 30 need-based scholarships for football, or the equivalent thereof. Under the new setup, the Blue Devils and the other NEC football conference member institutions would have the same number of scholarships, but would be free to give them to a player regardless of the potential student-athlete’s financial situation. The move could go a long way toward opening new doors on the recruiting trail.

The 30 scholarships would be a maximum number, but schools would not be required to reach that number. There were no minimums put in place by the NEC, and the league’s institutions have been told to move toward the maximum number at whatever pace they feel appropriate.

One of the main decisions schools would have to make would be deciding whether to offer full scholarships to fewer players or to offer partial scholarships to more players to try and better the depth of the program.

"I think a lot of the details in terms of implementing the plan are still being worked on," Jones said.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Very interesting.

Congratz NEC.

henfan
November 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Congrats. 30 schollies for the NEC would be great but it's still below the D-II max. Hopefully, the NEC will double that figure at some point and become serious I-AA football members.

As for the AEC starting its own football league, I think that would be terrific, especially for the CAA in the long term. All that though would take a major investment for Albany and Stony Brook to get up to UNH & UMaine levels of committment. UNH & UMaine would also have to forego the opportunity at claiming an auto-bid to the FB playoffs until the AEC football league became established. For those reasons, it just seems highly unlikely at this point.

Getting Hockey East would be a far greater coup for the AEC.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2005, 09:10 PM
They have often been rumored to be de-emphasizing. What about URI in an AE football conference?

mainejeff
November 20th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I've heard some things that I would rather not discuss publicly.....but let's just say.......don't assume anything ;) (especially you, henfan)

Dane96
November 20th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Congrats. 30 schollies for the NEC would be great but it's still below the D-II max. Hopefully, the NEC will double that figure at some point and become serious I-AA football members.

As for the AEC starting its own football league, I think that would be terrific, especially for the CAA in the long term. All that though would take a major investment for Albany and Stony Brook to get up to UNH & UMaine levels of committment. UNH & UMaine would also have to forego the opportunity at claiming an auto-bid to the FB playoffs until the AEC football league became established. For those reasons, it just seems highly unlikely at this point.

Getting Hockey East would be a far greater coup for the AEC.

Actually, Albany has a greater investment (per se) than UNH and Maine right now. First off, we have been sitting on the 30 schollys (I am guessing endowed, but I am not sure on that) for some time. We were waiting the go-ahead (hence why Albany re-upped w/ the NEC). The 30 more scholly's needed and the 3 year commitment in the NEC give's us time to move up properly.

More importantly, from an investment perspective, is the fact that 30mm has been pledged by the state and the university for a stadium....we are just waiting for the rest to come from alums. Look for the announcement by 2006. 40mm for a stadium is hands down more of an investment than Maine and UNH at this point. Not a knock on either school, just saying the money is sitting there...waiting for the move. I trust President Hall (who got Utah State to IA) and McElroy (rebuilt Sac State) have got this under control.

As for the autobid...I will go on record, as an attorney, stating this. If and when AE football is realized, bet your asses that the NCAA will think rather strongly regarding autobids and expanding the playoffs. If the GWC (if it is around), Big South and the AE league decide to band together and sue the NCAA....the DOUBLE A doesnt have a prayer in court...it wouldnt take a judge more than five minutes to spit these words out (something of this ilk): "NCAA, equal opportunties, eh. Didn't we about cover that with Title 9 and a variety of other law suits that aren't as well known. Now, you know the law, so let these boys in." The six teams for X amount of year rule would be the only thing the NCAA could point too. Restricting playoffs will not work on its own.

The only reason the NEC hasnt sued yet? Acrimony. They would rather negotiate there way in.

Before posters jump on me regarding the autobid situation let me say that I have worked on this specific issue with sports lawyers. THEY ALL AGREE!

BTW....this announcement of schollys has come a bit earlier than expected, we thought early 2006. Seems like NERO has some other tricks up his sleave.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 07:25 AM
I don't see that autobid issue being that big of a deal. If there really are 3 more conferences that qualify, playoffs will expand.

The real litigation that should take place: Ivy players for playoffs. Sue the presidents for equal opportunity.

henfan
November 21st, 2005, 08:43 AM
Actually, Albany has a greater investment (per se) than UNH and Maine right now.

In the broadest sense of the term "investment" that may or may not be true, when you consider the money for facilities. However, when considering money used for equivalancies, which is what I was referring to and the element that most impacts competitiveness, it's not even close. UMaine & UNH's football expenses double and almost triple what SBU and UA currently spend on football. Rhetoric aside, UA and SBU have a looooong way to go before they get up to UMaine and UNH levels.

As for the autobid...I will go on record, as an attorney, stating this. If and when AE football is realized, bet your asses that the NCAA will think rather strongly regarding autobids and expanding the playoffs.

I don't think that is even an issue, especially at this very early date. If the AEC is ever able to cobble together a football league with 6 members and maintain that membership for 2 years, they will undoubtedly be eligible for an autobid in an expanded playoff. Problem is there's a huge disincentive built in for UMaine, UNH and any other school currently in an autobid league. Why would they want to surrender the opportunity for an auto-bid to play in a league that might get an autobid 2 years down the road? That's a problem for the Big South and Great West as well.

The first challenge to AEC football is for SBU and AU to double its current investment in football equivalancies. That's not even on the table, as I understand it. Assuming they are able to achieve that, the next step is to convince UNH & UMaine to leave their current league. They'd then have to find at least 2 other members offering near 63 equivalances and maintain the membership for 2 years. They could apply for an auto-bid but there's absolutely no guarantees it will be granted.

Now, I'm not suggesting the AEC won't eventually have football. It's just going to take a monumental effort and may require some fairly significant compromises- academic, financial and otherwise. While I hope it gets done eventually for the sake of the AEC (and, selfishly, for the CAA), I can't help but wonder if the turmoil will be worth it for football- a sport that's a distant second on many New England campuses and one in which a majority of AEC members don't even compete.

Good luck with that.

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM
As for the AEC starting its own football league, I think that would be terrific, especially for the CAA in the long term.
Agreed! But also agreed that it would be a long time off. But then again, so is ODU, GSU, GMU, UNC-W.... long term, this would solve a lot of problems for teams that aren't full members of the CAA if the CAA ever decided to kick them out because other full members start football.

CollegeSportsInfo
November 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Yes, the NEC move to scholarships is official.

----
From the New Britain Herald:

11/20/2005
CCSU to change scholarship rules
By MATT STRAUB , Assistant Sports Editor

NEW BRITAIN -- For the last couple of years, Central Connecticut has been looking to improve its football program. That mission has been accomplished, with the Blue Devils winning shares of the last two Northeast Conference championships.
Coach Tom Masella has often said, however, that he’d like to do more. He wants the program’s reputation to grow even stronger.

Thanks to a ruling this week, that mission now has a better chance of being accomplished.

The Northeast Conference has agreed to remove the financial-need component to athletic scholarships awarded to football players. The change, which takes affect next season should allow teams like Central Connecticut to better recruit players who in the past have gone to full-scholarship I-AA schools like those in the A-10.

"I think the goal is to increase the stature of our league," CCSU athletic director C.J. Jones said. "This has been talked about for a long time, especially in terms of trying to get an automatic bid into the (I-AA) NCAA playoffs. We’re hoping this eventually helps us down the line in that regard, but it helps certainly to raise the level of the Northeast Conference."

In the past the league has permitted member schools to provide 30 need-based scholarships for football, or the equivalent thereof. Under the new setup, the Blue Devils and the other NEC football conference member institutions would have the same number of scholarships, but would be free to give them to a player regardless of the potential student-athlete’s financial situation. The move could go a long way toward opening new doors on the recruiting trail.

The 30 scholarships would be a maximum number, but schools would not be required to reach that number. There were no minimums put in place by the NEC, and the league’s institutions have been told to move toward the maximum number at whatever pace they feel appropriate.

One of the main decisions schools would have to make would be deciding whether to offer full scholarships to fewer players or to offer partial scholarships to more players to try and better the depth of the program.

"I think a lot of the details in terms of implementing the plan are still being worked on," Jones said.

I'd love to see Central Conn St. in the America East.

Curious though; With "Name Changes" becoming in again with SW Texas St becoming Texas St. and SW Missouri St. becoming Missouri St., has there been any talk of Central Connecticut St. becoming Connecticut State?

henfan
November 21st, 2005, 11:37 AM
I'd love to see Central Conn St. in the America East.

Wonder if academic institutions like BU, UNH, UMaine, the SUNYs, etc. would "love" it?

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 12:21 PM
has there been any talk of Central Connecticut St. becoming Connecticut State?
There has to be a joke in that name somewhere... Conn State, State Con, State Pen... :p

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
I don't see that autobid issue being that big of a deal. If there really are 3 more conferences that qualify, playoffs will expand.

The real litigation that should take place: Ivy players for playoffs. Sue the presidents for equal opportunity.

I'm not sure how that arguement would stand-up. Ivy League football already has pre-established rules.. no football playoffs. The players being recruited and who attend give their consent to the fact that there will be no playoffs. They are all private schools, and can set their own standards. The schools are not forcing them to sit out the postseason, and as I said before, the players have consented to no playoffs by attending an Ivy League school.

Frankly I think they are not participating in the playoffs because Harvard, Columbia, Yale etc. are still holding out hope for a Rose Bowl bid someday.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Quinn,
Central Connecticut has no plans to change its name. CCSU is one of 4 institutions in the Connecticut State University System, and is the only DI school. Other are Souther (DII) and Eastern and Western (DII). Each CSU school has its own president and administration, but have just one Board of Trustees. UCONN is the state's land grant research institution and has an entirely different administration.

Yes, I agree CCSU would make a fine fit in America East.

----
Henfan, while I am known to many others to spout the pride of Hard Hittin' New Britain, I won't bore anyone with a complete history or academic profile, but please keep this in mind:

1) CCSU is NOT a Doctoral/Research Institution, so don't compare it to any. Central is classified by as a Master Degree institution (although we now offer a Doctorate in Education). Founded as a normal school, it is the oldest public university in Conn. and its first "president" was the leader in education leadership and was named the first Commissioner of the US Department of Education.

2) CCSU academics are rising and much higher than what is implied by by many posters on these boards. With the emergance of UConn as a leading National University, CCSU is aimed to be the choice residential university of Conn. HS seniors. In short, as UConn has become harder to get into (and accepts more out-of state students) CCSU has begun to get the top HS seniors in the state. Its a simple trickle down therory.

3) CCSU's current academic admmissions standards are nearly identical to AE-member Univ. of Hartford (the only Master Degree Univ in the AE). Furthermore, incoming average SAT scores, fall just sligthly behind Maine among other comparable schools.

4) Finally, CCSU is nearly identical, though slightly smaller, than the CAA's very own Towson (formerly Towson State). In fact, Towson is the closest peers school to Central in DI. Check this out:

CCSU
Founded: 1849 as the New Britain Normal School
Oldest and second largest public university in Connecticut
UG Enrollment: 9,604
% accepted: 61
Middle 50 % SAT: Verbal 470-560 / Math 470-570
FT Faculty: 400+
Annual Tution/fees: $6,164 resident/$14,102 non-resident
Annual operating budget: $131 million

Towson
Established: 1866 as the Maryland State Normal School
Second largest public univesity in Maryland
Enrollment: 17,000 +
% accepted: 67
Middle 50 % SAT: Verbal 490-580 / Math 500-590
FT Faculty: 521
Annual Tuition/fees: $7,096 resident/ $16,030 non-resident
Annual operating budget: $246 million

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM
though slightly smaller, than the CAA's very own Towson (formerly Towson State). In fact, Towson is the closest peers school to Central in DI. Check this out:

CCSU
UG Enrollment: 9,604
Annual operating budget: $131 million

Towson
Enrollment: 17,000 +
Annual operating budget: $246 million

Quite a difference though.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Actually CCSU has about 12,000 total enrollment vs. Towson's 17,000. The CCSU # I cited is UG only (I didn't have that for Towson).

As I said, Towson is larger, but it is a very close peer to CCSU, more so than Towson is to Delaware. Bottom line, the school profile and academics between TU and CCSU are very similar. Plus Conn. and MD are similar states.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure how that arguement would stand-up. Ivy League football already has pre-established rules.. no football playoffs. The players being recruited and who attend give their consent to the fact that there will be no playoffs. They are all private schools, and can set their own standards. The schools are not forcing them to sit out the postseason, and as I said before, the players have consented to no playoffs by attending an Ivy League school.

Private schools receive Title IV aid (Pell, Stafford, etc.) and they need to be compliant under Title IX. Male football players are being discriminated against. A women's lacrosse team or a men's hockey team can play in the postseason. Football cannot.

The Ivy arguement for keeping out is paper thin. Forget about pre-established rules or consent. The trouble is getting a group of current players to file suit.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure that CCSU will be a part of this scenario in the end, but they are certainly on the radar screen. If America East can absorb Hockey East AND establish a football conference, they could become quite a player down the road.

I wonder how secure the CAA feels with its membership stretching from Georgia to Massachusetts?

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
I wonder how secure that the CAA feels with its membership stretching from Georgia to Massachusetts?

I bet the CAA would be just fine jettisoning affiliate football members and allowing other CAA teams to develop I-AA teams.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Agreed. How close is Old Dominion, UNCW, George Mason and Georgia State to having I-AA football programs up and running?

ccd494
November 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Does Quinnipiac have football? What conference and what scholarship level are they at?

If they are willing to put the scholarship's out there, they may be a better fit than CCSU, especially because of the hockey commitment they just made.

America East Hockey + Quinnipiac - Merrimack = improvement.

UNH, Maine, SBU, Albany, CCSU, Quinnipiac, ??? could get an autobid in football after a couple years. If Maine and UNH really ramped up their non-conference schedules for 2 years and gave themselves a real chance at an at large, they'd be okay.

That would leave Maine, UNH, Vermont, Hartford, Albany, Stony Brook, CCSU, Quinnipiac, Binghamton as the basketball league. BU probably wouldn't stick around (CAA? A-10?), and if someone can remind me UMBC's purpose, I'd be willing to be enlightened. A detriment is a lack of a Boston presence in everything but hockey.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
No football at the Q.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM
I think that there is some stuff going on behind the scenes, and some of you are way off.

ccd494
November 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM
I think that there is some stuff going on behind the scenes, and some of you are way off.

I know, I'm just daydreaming. Beats doing work.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Agreed. How close is Old Dominion, UNCW, George Mason and Georgia State to having I-AA football programs up and running?

Come on, you know the answer to this - only ODU is in any position to have football in the short term, and they won't field their first team until 2009 (no indication on a timtable to be in the CAA once they start playing so they could be a few years as a provisional team until they are fully established). George Mason and Georgia State have club teams with no real indication of scholarship football anytime soon. UNCW will probably never have football and could always leave the conference to a less-football intense conference.

TheValleyRaider
November 21st, 2005, 01:22 PM
Does Quinnipiac have football? What conference and what scholarship level are they at?

If they are willing to put the scholarship's out there, they may be a better fit than CCSU, especially because of the hockey commitment they just made.

UNH, Maine, SBU, Albany, CCSU, Quinnipiac, ??? could get an autobid in football after a couple years. If Maine and UNH really ramped up their non-conference schedules for 2 years and gave themselves a real chance at an at large, they'd be okay.

That would leave Maine, UNH, Vermont, Hartford, Albany, Stony Brook, CCSU, Quinnipiac, Binghamton as the basketball league. BU probably wouldn't stick around (CAA? A-10?), and if someone can remind me UMBC's purpose, I'd be willing to be enlightened. A detriment is a lack of a Boston presence in everything but hockey.

#1-Quinnipiac does not have a football team, nor would I guess they are starting one in the near future. They are in the NEC for all sports.

#2-Q-pac also just made a huge committment in joining the ECAC for hockey. I can't see a reason why they'd leave the ECAC, or for that reason why Merrimack is going to be kicked out (longer discussion for a hockey board)

However, I like the idea of America East FB. They really ought to add UMass while they're at it. I have a hard time seeing UMass sticking around in an expanded CAA when they could more easily hang around New England, giving AE some early clout with them, Maine and UNH. I guess it partly depends on if/when the NEC continues to ramp up scholarships to entice Albany/Stony Brook to stay.

ccd494
November 21st, 2005, 01:27 PM
With the risk of getting too much into the hockey aspects of your post:

-Regarding Merrimack, I don't think you'd ever see BC jump for joy like announcing that MC will no longer be in the league. That may be the biggest incentive that the AEC could offer the Eagles: no more trips to North Andover. Just too much bad blood between the teams.

-The ECAC, as I look at it, is a New York league. I know they have Dartmouth, Yale, Brown and Harvard (and Princeton), but I kind of look at Hockey East as New England's league (sorry Atlantic Hockey). I just think that down the road, Quinnipiac would love to be in a league with the other New England non-Ivies. Plus, I'm sure they'd rather be in the AEC than the NEC in all sports, so if to get in they had to move hockey, I bet they'd do it.

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
George Mason and Georgia State have club teams with no real indication of scholarship football anytime soon.
That can change with one announcement. :nod:

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM
-The ECAC, as I look at it, is a New York league. I know they have Dartmouth, Yale, Brown and Harvard (and Princeton), but I kind of look at Hockey East as New England's league (sorry Atlantic Hockey). I just think that down the road, Quinnipiac would love to be in a league with the other New England non-Ivies. Plus, I'm sure they'd rather be in the AEC than the NEC in all sports, so if to get in they had to move hockey, I bet they'd do it.

That's a mighty big if - but I could see that being a good reason to leave the ECAC.

I don't think Q has much loyalty to the ECAC at this point. It is just a way to allow them to step up their program to one of the big four conferences. Playing Yale twice though is awfully nice for their school exposure... playing all the ECAC schools are if they are looking to rub elbows with some new peers.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM
Without rehashing tons of crap prom my many other posts, Quinn is not a good program and does not fit with the AE.

QU is the kid that wants to hang out with the cool kids. Their many conference changes in hockey and lax prove the point. They want to increase their profile by the company they keep. QU has no desire to mix it up with Maine, UNH, Stony Brook, or UA. They much rather play with the Ivys, PL, and yes BC and PC.

QU is a degree mill and if you have the $25K and a HS dipolma, you're in. I'm being sacrcastic, but in reality they are creating the image of an "elite New England private" but don't have the history or alumns. What do they really offer in Hamden? They are trying creating something from scratch. Even their law school is 2nd or 3rd teir in selectivity in the region.

QU plans to be a hockey school, plain and simple. Lax will also be a big focus. Basketball will be a third teir sport at the QU. They know they can't compete with the 330+ schools in hoops, so they are focusing their resources on sports like hockey and lax that has less participating schools.

Football is not an option for them, ever.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM
-Regarding Merrimack, I don't think you'd ever see BC jump for joy like announcing that MC will no longer be in the league. That may be the biggest incentive that the AEC could offer the Eagles: no more trips to North Andover.

Now you're getting somewhere ;) .

America East Football:

Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook

The rest I can't mention because I don't want to start WWIII....... ;)

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
UR and VU!

mainejeff
November 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
You're right on one of them.......but there's more ;) .

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 01:59 PM
You're right on one of them.......but there's more ;) .
Well if all the other teams leave the CAA... we don't want any stragglers. :D

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2005, 02:10 PM
Now you're getting somewhere ;) .

America East Football:

Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook

The rest I can't mention because I don't want to start WWIII....... ;)

The Patriot League will gladly give you Georgetown if we can get Marist or Duquesne. :D

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM
The Patriot League will gladly give you Georgetown
Hey now. G'town finished ahead of Fordham and Bucknell this year. :mad:

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Hey now. G'town finished ahead of Fordham and Bucknell this year. :mad:

That may be so, but in the long run Fordham and Bucknell have brighter futures. I am envious of their new Field in DC though, albeit it is small. Gtown is going to start scheduling more Ivies and less patsies like Davidson (to whom they still lose), so we will see what they can do in the future. Playing a better schedule might help recruiting :confused: From the way the Lehigh fans are talking, Limbo Lembo might end up in DC.

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 02:31 PM
That may be so, but in the long run Fordham and Bucknell have brighter futures.
Curious as to why you think that. G'town is still relatively new to the PL while Fordham and Bucknell have no excuses to be so miserable right now. I think G'town may have the brighter future.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Curious as to why you think that. G'town is still relatively new to the PL while Fordham and Bucknell have no excuses to be so miserable right now. I think G'town may have the brighter future.

I concur.

Plus, I like Georgetown A LOT in our league. They just need to commit to the full I-AA level. And, no offense Fordham fans that I like, they don't have the PL baggage that some Ram fans do.

All in all, I love our football league members. BU and FU were down, but they don't have a history of it. I think they will bounce back.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM
I think G'town may have the brighter future.

How so? Facilities, schedule wise - yes.. players, coaching staff? Not so sure. Their recruiting class didn't seem too impressive. Are you banking on them canning Benson? I like his personality, just don't see it translate to his players.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
How so? Facilities, schedule wise - yes.. players, coaching staff? Not so sure. Their recruiting class didn't seem too impressive. Are you banking on them canning Benson? I like his personality, just don't see it translate to his players.

On the contrary, I see them getting some really good players each year, the team just hasn't lived up to expectations yet.

Facilities, location, national name, etc. G'Town has got a lot going for them. I think they need to overall the coaching staff though. Time to shake it up.

henfan
November 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
America East Football:

Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook

That'll be a real stable league, what with UMass threatening to re-classify as an NFL team every other year. Yeah, yeah. I've heard it all before. America East football is right around the corner. Newsflash, the AEC will never have football so long as UVm, Hartford and BU have votes. Been there, experienced that, watched it rip apart the conference and got the t-shirt. Remember?
http://www.uvm.edu/~tpatters/athletics/confexpand_files/frame.htm

Methinks you AEC guys are extrapolating way too much from the word that a couple of low equity NEC programs are adding limited number of schollies. What we do know for certain is that SBU & Albany are going nowhere for at least the next five years. The rest is just idle wishing at this point.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2869

Say, maybe you AEC guys should watch turning over the keys of your empire to a guy named Nero. He doesn't play the violin, does he? ;)

McUMass
November 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
UMass is committed to the A-10 in ALL sports and there is no way we could just up and leave in hopes of bolstering a conference that we don't need to join. The A-10 is better than the America East at practically everything and would be a step in the wrong direction for our program.

89Hen
November 21st, 2005, 03:31 PM
I don't think Benson will be around too long. But facilities... G'town will be playing in a new stadium next year and it carries some pretty impressive training rooms to go with it. Schedule wise... not sure I'm seeing a big difference...

G'town: Brown, Cornell, Duquesne, Stony, Davidson
Bucknell: Nova, Penn, Cornell, Stony, Marist
Fordham: URI, Brown, Columbia, Duquesne, Albany

Outside of Bucknell and Fordham both having A10's (both losses) there's really no difference there.

JoltinJoe
November 21st, 2005, 05:00 PM

We have an excuse. You stole our coach. ;) :mad:

Edit -- Oh, *****, 89Hen, that avatar fooled me. Thought you were a Spiders' fan. ;)

Dane96
November 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM

This is the one scenerio I can guarantee will not happen. Quinnipiac is a NON STARTER AT ALL THE AE SCHOOLS....not even an option.

Dane96
November 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM
That'll be a real stable league, what with UMass threatening to re-classify as an NFL team every other year. Yeah, yeah. I've heard it all before. America East football is right around the corner. Newsflash, the AEC will never have football so long as UVm, Hartford and BU have votes. Been there, experienced that, watched it rip apart the conference and got the t-shirt. Remember?
http://www.uvm.edu/~tpatters/athletics/confexpand_files/frame.htm

Methinks you AEC guys are extrapolating way too much from the word that a couple of low equity NEC programs are adding limited number of schollies. What we do know for certain is that SBU & Albany are going nowhere for at least the next five years. The rest is just idle wishing at this point.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2869

Say, maybe you AEC guys should watch turning over the keys of your empire to a guy named Nero. He doesn't play the violin, does he? ;)

Let's just say....Hartford, UVM, and BU are all on board for AE football and leave it at that. They are investing alot of money at all three schools for new facilities and want a viable and stable conference. They have pro-athletic presidents now and all realize there mistake, thankfully for the SUNY's, of letting the CAA-4 go.

Alot of changes are going on behind the scenes at the former "NO TO FOOTBALL" schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
Let's just say....Hartford, UVM, and BU are all on board for AE football and leave it at that. They are investing alot of money at all three schools for new facilities and want a viable and stable conference. They have pro-athletic presidents now and all realize there mistake, thankfully for the SUNY's, of letting the CAA-4 go.

Alot of changes are going on behind the scenes at the former "NO TO FOOTBALL" schools.

UVM I could sort of believe, since they played football 20-30 years ago. BU I have a harder time believing since the same cadre of folks who basically's lifetime work was to dismantle the football program (I think) is still in place.

But Hartford is probably one I absolutely can't believe. They've never played football, and never shown any interest in football up to this point. Add to this fact that UConn would be, in effect, playing down the street? I view Hartford as a non-starter. HU seems to have been quite happy with its good reputation for hoops and call it a day.

On a OT note, regarding UMass. Let's say for the sake of argument URI, Maine, and UNH leave to play America East Football. Meanwhile, A-10 football becomes CAA football. What is UMass' choice? Stay in the CAA until the bitter end while ODU and maybe others force UMass out? Or jump to the AEC as an associate for FB only in a league that may not have an autobid? The fact that UMass will become an associate school wherever they play in Division I-AA has to loom large - unless that long-rumored jump to the Big East happens. In this sense, the AEC's future as a conference ties quite closely to UMass' future in Division I football.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2005, 06:37 PM
On the contrary, I see them getting some really good players each year, the team just hasn't lived up to expectations yet.
Facilities, location, national name, etc. G'Town has got a lot going for them. I think they need to overall the coaching staff though. Time to shake it up.

You've been consistently critical of Benson in these posts. You may be surprised, therefore, that Benson signed a five year extension last year.

Georgetown's problem is not its head coach. Benson is a formidable recruiter fighting amidst institutional challenges which would scare away most coaches (as noted in another thread). During the game he focuses a lot on the defense (ranked #3 in I-AA against the pass and #25 overall), leaving the play calling to the offensive coordinator. Obviously, offense is a problem. With any offense this year, Georgetown defeats Lafayette and Davidson, probably gives Holy Cross a run, and could have been looking at 7-4 instead of 4-7.

I'm sure the AE folks would rather have us discuss this in another thread. As for AE football, get Boston U back in the mix--now that Silber is out of the big chair, it's time to bring football back to Nickerson Field.

Dane96
November 21st, 2005, 06:39 PM
UVM I could sort of believe, since they played football 20-30 years ago. BU I have a harder time believing since the same cadre of folks who basically's lifetime work was to dismantle the football program (I think) is still in place.

But Hartford is probably one I absolutely can't believe. They've never played football, and never shown any interest in football up to this point. Add to this fact that UConn would be, in effect, playing down the street? I view Hartford as a non-starter. HU seems to have been quite happy with its good reputation for hoops and call it a day.

On a OT note, regarding UMass. Let's say for the sake of argument URI, Maine, and UNH leave to play America East Football. Meanwhile, A-10 football becomes CAA football. What is UMass' choice? Stay in the CAA until the bitter end while ODU and maybe others force UMass out? Or jump to the AEC as an associate for FB only in a league that may not have an autobid? The fact that UMass will become an associate school wherever they play in Division I-AA has to loom large - unless that long-rumored jump to the Big East happens. In this sense, the AEC's future as a conference ties quite closely to UMass' future in Division I football.

Let's just say I have info from Hartford that says they are on board. As for BU, DARTH VADER SILBER IS LONG GONE. They actually purged everyone associated with his staff.

Change is brewing. All three schools have given this the green light.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2005, 07:01 PM
Outstanding. The more the merrier.

I hope the league becomes a factor in the I-AA playoff picture quickly. The quicker the better.

colgate13
November 21st, 2005, 08:30 PM
You've been consistently critical of Benson in these posts. You may be surprised, therefore, that Benson signed a five year extension last year.

Hey, I could care less if he stays or goes. I'm just wondering how long Georgetown will settle for 3 and 4 win seasons. Sounds like at least four more years.

Fingers get pointed everywhere, but ultimately the buck stops with Benson. If it's not him leaving, then your OC has to go. Something. Otherwise you're saying mediocre is OK, and those recruiting battles are going to get even harder.

I look at Fordham and see they couldn't stand for two seasons of losing. I find it hard to imagine G'Town is much different, plus you've got a new AD. Change has got to be on the horizon; if not the OC this year, then Benson and company next year if he doesn't produce. Just my opinion; nothing personal against Benson.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
It's important to note that we're not talking football for Hartford, Vermont and BU (although maybe BU will bring back football), we're talking about them supporting the creation of a football league by the America East Conference. I guess after 5 schools left the league that they finally realized (with new athletic regimes and Presidents) that it is in their best interest to protect themselves from future defections. The America East football timeline probably depends on the Big East and resulting domino effects, although it may not be based solely on the dissolution of the current Big East. I can tell you one thing concerning the A-10 though.......you take away Xavier, Dayton, St, Louis, Temple and Charlotte (all very viable candidates to bolt the A-10), and all of a sudden the A-10 is looking mighty weak as an all-sports league.

As far as Hockey East goes, sources tell me that the league has been in contact with Boston College, and that BC has given their "blessing" for America East to establish a hockey conference (Maine, UNH, Vermont and BU are in Hockey East) and that they will join these schools (I'm assuming that Northeastern, UMass, and Providence are in as well.....Merrimack and UMass-Lowell are another story).

The big difference here is that America East is being pro-active. This has never been the case before (Delaware fans can attest to that). Will things work out exactly the way that the powers-that-be envision it?......Probably not.......but changes will be forthcoming.

Go...gate
November 21st, 2005, 08:52 PM
Definitely want Georgetown and Fordham to stay in PL FB, and I still hold out hope that Villanova or Richmond will also come aboard. Gettysburg also intrigues me as a possible slumbering Division I program.

AEC, in my opinion, would do well to add Monmouth, which is raising its academic and athletic profile.

Agree with the comments on Quinnipiac - they remind me of Hofstra 35 years ago with a lot less money. Hofstra spent a lot on sports, but a lot more on books, bricks and mortar. Quinnipiac would do well to take a page from Hofstra's book.

Husky Alum
November 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't bet the farm on NU being "onboard" for playing AE hockey MJ.

For those who say that the ECACHL is a "New York" league - there are now 5 teams in New England - Dartmouth, Brown, Yale, Quinnipiac and Harvard. HEA gets the bulk of the media attention, yes, but the ECAC isn't as New York based as one would think.

I'm guessing if Hockey East as we know it goes bye bye, you'll see NU join the ECACHL.

As for AE football, Nero got the job by promising AE football and AE hockey - the presidents hired him, so they HAVE To be on board with his plan. They're not going to hire the guy and then say "sorry dude, we don't like your ideas".

If the AE were to sponsor hockey, they'd get more money as a conference (they'd get what was going to HEA) and they'd be able to leverage hockey to get more airtime for basketball, so the two make some sense.

Lest we not turn this into an extension of uscho.com, I think AE football is at least a 2008-09 dream at best.

Let's see what happens when the Big East falls in two to see where teams wind up. I do agree that the A-10 without Temple, Charlotte, St. Louis, Dayton, and Xavier isn't THAT much stronger than the AE, but as long as GWU and UMass are in the conference, it will be stronger - then you add BU and some of the non-football CAA teams (let's just hypothesize and say VCU and UNCW), and it's again better than the AE.

Hey, let the AE guys bask in their conference being proactive - it only took 25 years and the defections of URI, Holy Cross, Siena, Canisius, Niagara, Delaware, Drexel, Towson, Hofstra, and Northeastern to get them to realize that the revolving door has to stop.

henfan
November 22nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Let's just say....Hartford, UVM, and BU are all on board for AE football and leave it at that. They are investing alot of money at all three schools for new facilities and want a viable and stable conference.

I'm highly skeptical of anything the AEC promises, based on years of experience, especially where it comes to football. I'll believe it when I see it.

As I said, there are so many obsticles that the AEC will face in trying to cobble together a football league. It all just seems so highly improbable right now. Wanting to do it and actually pulling it off are two different things entirely.

The Hockey East administration seems much more likely.

colgate13
November 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm guessing if Hockey East as we know it goes bye bye, you'll see NU join the ECACHL.

I'd welcome that with open arms! :nod:

TheValleyRaider
November 22nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
I'd welcome that with open arms! :nod:

I wouldn't! Have you seen our record against them the last couple of years? :mad: :( ;)

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Ok, I am the naive one here. What is the motivation for Vermont and Boston U to restart their football programs? And how truly serious is this? And when can we see the teams on the field? I have not heard anything about their programs restarting, although it would be quite intriguing. My dad is a big Catamounts fan (probably because it was a beer they don't make anymore), but it would be cool to make a trip up to Burlington in the fall. As a Lafayette fan, I would like the increased options of teams we could play in the regular season and playoffs. And Gettysburg to D-IAA football? Now there is a whopper I never ever would have thought about. They would have PL written on them though... good school and academics from what I know.

Dane96
November 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Ok, I am the naive one here. What is the motivation for Vermont and Boston U to restart their football programs? And how truly serious is this? And when can we see the teams on the field? I have not heard anything about their programs restarting, although it would be quite intriguing. My dad is a big Catamounts fan (probably because it was a beer they don't make anymore), but it would be cool to make a trip up to Burlington in the fall. As a Lafayette fan, I would like the increased options of teams we could play in the regular season and playoffs. And Gettysburg to D-IAA football? Now there is a whopper I never ever would have thought about. They would have PL written on them though... good school and academics from what I know.

Neither school wants to restart football (though it is possible at BU), however both ok'd the research into forming the AE football conference.

ccd494
November 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
If you'd read the thread, every post says that they wouldn't restart football. They just wouldn't oppose the AE sponsoring it.

henfan
November 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Neither school wants to restart football (though it is possible at BU)...

At this point football at BU is as likely as football at Hartford, Vermont or Binghamton. Aside from wild rumors, nobody knows for sure if BU, HU or UVm would support AEC football or not. BU would continue to be the least likely to support the idea, especially if they have no plans for football and want to continue squelching talk of it on their campus.

The BTUFF gang are fighting a huge uphill battle... Silber or not.
www.btuff.org

Husky Alum
November 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
BU's position on football is irrelevant, they won't be in the AEC when/if a snap is played under that banner.

They're not going to oppose it because they'll never have to deal with it as a member of the conference.

They'll be long gone.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
My deduction is: at least one of HU, BU, and UV has to be considering restarting to make a new I-AA AEC league.

Why?

It's the math. How are you going to convince:

Maine
UNH

to join, and leave a lucrative deal with the CAA? By having a I-AA playoff autobid.

Will adding

Stony Brook
Albany

help? Yes, but not only does that require Albany and SB LEAVING the NEC for AEC in all-sports, and that means you need:

URI
UMass

on board as associates. But do they want to jump assocaitions to a new AEC league that may or may not have playoff affiliation? Or do thwy want to stay in the CAA, with a game versus N'Eastern and Hofstra every year?

Wildcards are:

Villanova
Richmond

But will VU really give up the Delaware rivalry? My thought is: No way on earth. Richmond has to wonder: Do I really want to abandon W&M, JMU, ODU games for games against UNH and Maine? I think that's a tough sell. Especially with no guarantee for playoff bids.

Now if HU, UV, or BU were starting/bringing back football, that expands the options immensely. I'd much rather start will 11 potential teams to start a 6 team league than only 5 or 6 "maybe's".