PDA

View Full Version : Jax State needs teams to help boost the '09 SOS

JaxSinfonian
December 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
JSU's coaching staff has said it wants to step up the schedule strength (http://gamecockcorner.blogspot.com/2008/12/theres-something-happening-here.html) a notch in 2009. (If nothing else, they want losses as impressive as Maine's.) It helps that the next date in our contract with Chattanooga appears to have been delayed and that we'll be skipping a date with Tennessee State.

That leaves two available dates to play some respectable FCS competition. Who could use a game? I think we should be looking for teams in the Southeast or just beyond. I'm thinking:

Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Central Arkansas
Appalachian State
Southern Illinois
McNeese State
William & Mary
Elon (though a win there didn't help Liberty)
James Madison
Richmond

What do you think? Anybody game for a home-and-away?

utcfan
December 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
What happened with the UTC game?

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
You could always come to Missoula. xsmiley_wix

JaxSinfonian
December 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM
You could always come to Missoula. xsmiley_wix

I'd be happy to, if you'll visit Jacksonville in return.

Not sure precisely what happened, utc fan. The following is an excerpt from the newspaper blog post I linked to above.

There will be no Chattanooga game next year because of a scheduling conflict, but there will be games in 2010, 2011 and 2012, Jaynes said. So the Gamecocks are looking for a game for 2009 and they're not immediately prepared to say who's under consideration.

"We tried every way we could to work with Chattanooga (for 2009)," [AD Oval] Jaynes said, but noted an unnamed OVC team didn't want to change to accommodate the move.

Any idea who else is on your non-conference slate for the early season who might be insisting on specific dates? Are the Mocs doing two FBS games again?

Moving the game also helps the goal of stiffening up the schedule for '09. I've enjoyed the series, but the Gamecocks got no credit with the selection committee for the win this year. I'm sure that'll change under whoever Allison's successor is, but think we're looking for a top-25 squad to fill this hole.

Looks like I'll have to wait until 2011 for a return trip to Finley stadium, unless we can somehow manage an end-of-season visit.

utcfan
December 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I know UTC already has Alabama on the 2009 schedule (Auburn 2010). This give us (I believe) 8 SoCon games and Alabama. I do not know for sure what UTC does with the two opening---My guess, an NAIA team, and a $$$$$ game. NAIA team gives us an extra home game--maybe a new coach will generate some interest and butts in seats. 2nd $$$ game helps with expected $600,000 budget cut from state.

On a positive $$$ note, UTC booster donations was up 25-30% for 08-09, and UTC has partnered with a sports marketing group to help in this area (as well as others).

JaxSinfonian
December 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear support is still there and coming back for the Mocs after all RA has "done for" them. Please forward the contact info for the sports marketing group to our AD. We will soon have 5,000 more seats in our stadium that I am unsure we'll figure out how to fill.

Here's JSU's schedule so far, according info already out there on the Web: There is also a game against Alabama A&M in Huntsville that will probably be played the second or third week in the season. I'm ready to entertain anyone's proposals for the open dates.

Sept. 3 or 5 - at Georgia Tech (Date not announced, but they typically play their FCS foes on the opening week)
Sept. 12 - Open (or AAMU?)
Sept. 19 - Open (or AAMU?)
Sept. 26 - Open
Oct. 3 - UT-Martin
Oct. 10 - at Murray State
Oct. 17 - Open
Oct. 24 - Eastern Illinois
Oct. 31 - at Austin Peay
Nov. 7 - at Southeast Missouri
Nov. 14 - Tennessee Tech
Nov. 21 - Eastern Kentucky

B&G
December 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
You can probably count out ASU. They already released their schedule.

WileECoyote06
December 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
I know UTC already has Alabama on the 2009 schedule (Auburn 2010). This give us (I believe) 8 SoCon games and Alabama. I do not know for sure what UTC does with the two opening---My guess, an NAIA team, and a $$$$$ game. NAIA team gives us an extra home game--maybe a new coach will generate some interest and butts in seats. 2nd $$$ game helps with expected $600,000 budget cut from state.

On a positive $$$ note, UTC booster donations was up 25-30% for 08-09, and UTC has partnered with a sports marketing group to help in this area (as well as others).

Yall are lucky. The government doesn't support athletics in this state; except a teaching and learning facility like a multi-use gymnasium or arena. Football, you pretty much gotta do on your own.

rcny46
December 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
JSU's coaching staff has said it wants to step up the schedule strength (http://gamecockcorner.blogspot.com/2008/12/theres-something-happening-here.html) a notch in 2009. (If nothing else, they want losses as impressive as Maine's.) It helps that the next date in our contract with Chattanooga appears to have been delayed and that we'll be skipping a date with Tennessee State.

That leaves two available dates to play some respectable FCS competition. Who could use a game? I think we should be looking for teams in the Southeast or just beyond. I'm thinking:

Furman
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Central Arkansas
Appalachian State
Southern Illinois
McNeese State
William & Mary
Elon (though a win there didn't help Liberty)
James Madison
Richmond

What do you think? Anybody game for a home-and-away?

I'd love to see UNH schedule a home and away series with JSU.I'm always interested in inter-sectional match ups with other FCS opponents.Unfortunately,there is the question of travel expenses which would most likely put a damper on that scenario.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
I'd love to see UNH schedule a home and away series with JSU.I'm always interested in inter-sectional match ups with other FCS opponents.Unfortunately,there is the question of travel expenses which would most likely put a damper on that scenario.

I too thought of us since it appears we have two openings on the 2009 schedule! And yes there are far too few inter-sectional match-ups outside the playoffs. Over the past couple of decades, UNH has had home and home series with Steven F. Austin and Hampton so I guess it's not impossible. If UNH doesn't get a FBS game for 2009, this would be a quality OOC game in its place. If it wasn't the usual FCS expense issue, this match-up would probably happen. Who knows????????

apaladin
December 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Go to www.cfbpalace.net and you can view next years FBS and FCS schedules and see who has available games. Furman's schedule is full.

JaxSinfonian
December 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Go to www.cfbpalace.net (http://www.cfbpalace.net) and you can view next years FBS and FCS schedules and see who has available games. Furman's schedule is full.

Interesting. I'm curious to know where the info comes from. It shows the JSU-UTC series resuming in 2011 in Jacksonville, while I'm hearing we've only pushed it off one year. Meanwhile, it shows a JSU-Georgia Southern date for 2011. I'd read elsewhere that we are to start a series with Georgia State at Atlanta in 2010, but that's not reflected here, nor is our game with Ole Miss for that year. Also no AAMU on the '09 sked. Otherwise, nice site.

So, Furman & App. St. are out, as is Elon, according to that site. Georgia Southern & Wofford both appear to have some availability, and that about does it for the SoCon (I'm not going to advocate we play the Citadel as long as Jack Crowe is our coach). Wofford would be my pick - they'll be about the closest team we could schedule, are pretty well respected, and will likely will be looking for a good FCS game with Wisconsin and South Florida already on the schedule.

Whaddya say, Terriers fans? Sept. 12 or 26 sound good for a trip to Jacksonville?

As for UNH, just like with Montana, I'm all for the long-distance matchup. But I think we're more likely to be looking for team closer by. Still, it's not outside the realm of possibility as long as you don't mind us getting the first home game in the deal. Have your people call my people.

WestCoastAggie
December 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
They could look at teams such as Liberty, FAMU, Maine, William & Mary, Youngstown St. perhaps.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Here's the current SLC schedules (as far as we know them), since that could be a possibility...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5753