PDA

View Full Version : Suggested improvements for FCS

GSU Eagle
December 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Others can add things but here are a few improvements I could suggest:

1. Seed 8 teams in playoffs instead of 4. I don't see how doing that would be that hard to do and I don't see it costing that much more in travel. The NCAA could still pair any team in the bottom 8 with any of the top 8 teams, so regionalization could still be done to a degree. I just don't think a top 8 team should play another top 8 team in the first round.

2. Move the championship game to Saturday afternoon. It would be a bit easier for fans to get there, and a better time for viewership. It also would be fairer to the team having to travel the fartherest.

3. The selection committee should start putting out their rankings starting maybe the second week in October. This sound like the BSC, but anything that makes the selections more transparent would be good.

Other suggestions?

SactoHornetFan
December 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Moving the game away from Chattanooga for one....how about out West for a change.

GATA
December 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Moving the game away from Chattanooga for one....how about out West for a change.

The game should rotate like a Bowl game. Pick 3 or 4 different venues and rotate the game every year.

catamount man
December 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The folks in 'nooga will fight like hell to keep it there.

ur2k
December 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Nooga was a great time, after being there for the first time I don't see the need to move the game anywhere else.

blackcaesar3k5
December 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM
1. FCS playoffs should begin week after thanksgiving.

2. The Championship game should be held in city like Memphis, Houston, Tampa and Jacksonville, Fl..

AppMan
December 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM

Why? Since 1990 only 8 of the 36 finalists have come from the West.

nothingbutjsu
December 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM
Chattanooga seemed to be ready this year for the game. There was much less chaos and more crowd control. It was a good night

nmatsen
December 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
I love Chattanooga, what a great city that lets us (FCS fans) own it for three days. None of the above mentioned cities would let us do that.

Keep the field and the seeds the way they are. If you don't like it, win. It is that simple. If you are not happy with who you play on the first round. Don't lose in week 8 to a conference school. Win.

4th and What?
December 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I will go with #1, though I am probably biased as JMU was the team that had to play Wofford in the first round.

As far as #2 goes, it doesn't matter very much to me. Has there ever been any reasons they have said they went with a Friday evening time slot? Saturday afternoon would be a more standard time, but there must be some decent reasons for Friday.

And #3.....I have only been to nooga once, and never been anywhere else for a NC, but had a great time there. I have heard an overwhelming amount of praise for nooga, and not very many compaints. They do a great job with it, why change? FCS has enough things they can fix without trying to fix things that are working great right now.

utcfan
December 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
I hope the game stays in Chattanooga. At this point Chattanooga wants the game. I doubt that any of the cities mentioned above want the game--if they did, why haven't they bid on the game?

Pantherpower
December 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Why not keep it in Chattanooga? The town embraces the championship and I know that many of the Panther faithful had a blast down there in '05.

813Jag
December 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM

2. The Championship game should be held in city like Memphis, Houston, Tampa and Jacksonville, Fl..
Tampa would not support the game if two teams without good support played. See the ACC game as an example.

JayJ79
December 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
I would be surprised if there wasn't some kind of change in the seeding process once the playoff field expands to 20 in 2010. Though it might just be top 4 and bottom 8 (the bottom 8 would be the ones who have to play the first week, while the other 12 would have a bye). But who knows.

As for the NC game being played on Friday night, I'm sure it all has to do with TV contracts.

utcfan
December 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
See the ACC game as an example.

Yeah--they had a BOGO free going for the ACC game. And seats in the SEC game going for $900.

MplsBison
December 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
The obvious reason for not having the game in Chatty is the fact that the stadium is a home stadium to a FCS/SoCon team.

The game should at least be in a stadium that is not the home stadium of an FCS team.

JayJ79
December 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
The obvious reason for not having the game in Chatty is the fact that the stadium is a home stadium to a FCS/SoCon team.

The game should at least be in a stadium that is not the home stadium of an FCS team.

While it might be somewhat of an unfair advantage for a team to play on it's home field for the Championship game, it's not usually an issue in this case.

Frankly, I'd rather see the resources devoted to the FCS championship game go to an FCS institution/community rather than an FBS or pro institution/community.

utcfan
December 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Again, just want to point out--how many cities are beating down the door to host the FCS NC game?

yosef1969
December 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Again, just want to point out--how many cities are beating down the door to host the FCS NC game?

No real challenge from another FCS city in the near future. Charleston may eventually throw it's hat in the ring but they have to address that pesky NCAA ban on postseason events due to the confederate flag issue.

Improvements for FCS....minimums and playoff seeding. I think they will/should seed beyond the top 4 when they go to 20, otherwise how do you determine which teams are the bottom 8 that have to play round one?

Retro
December 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Remember, In 2010 the chamopionship game will be the night before the BCS title game, so the issue of Friday night vs Saturday is a mute one. Besides, you want it on at Night no matter what day for maximum viewership..

As far as improvements for the FCS itself, better production quality on TV broadcasts througout the year.. With Digital TV and HDTV that should be something to look forward too.. I feel the lack of quality production makes the subdivision look inferior at times..

Better OOC games for all conferences.. Too many teams would rather play a weak nearby Div II team that play tough OOC teams from strong FCS conferences and if we want to improve the quality, we need this.. No excuses from teams saying they don't want to do a home/home with an OOC team because they need 6 home games.. There is more than enough opportunity for both to happen.

Drop the playoff expansion.. 20 teams is going to dilute the playoffs with more 7-4 and 7-5 teams with inferior quality wins.. Does a team with that kind of record really deserve a chance to be considered the best for that year.. There are exceptions, but not many.

The NCAA needs to redefine really what the FCS is and take a look at the whole college football landscape.. Too many teams moving to FBS and too many Div II moving up and too many teams adding football that have no business doing so.. We need more stability and teams working to raise attendance so the norm is 15,000+ home attendance We need all teams in the FCS to be regular playoff participates and at least 8 team conferences across the board...

This won't make the Swac or Ivy happy or a few others, but we don't need any part time teams, because in the end they are not helping build a stronger more recognizable subdivision by not sending their conference champ to the playoffs or rarely playing OOC from strong conferences.

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Improvements for FCS....minimums and playoff seeding. I think they will/should seed beyond the top 4 when they go to 20, otherwise how do you determine which teams are the bottom 8 that have to play round one?

Well the 4 seeds would play the winner of the 4 round one games. Technically, they could split it into 3 tiers: The 4 seeds, the 8 middle teams (that will play each other in the sweet 16), and the 8 "play-in" teams. They could still regionalize the two lower tiers just like they have been........

Just playing devil's advocate.....I'd much prefer they seed top to bottom.

Biff
December 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
The game should rotate like a Bowl game. Pick 3 or 4 different venues and rotate the game every year.

I agree with this. Maybe a West site with three east coast sites, but certainly should rotate. I would also agree it need to be a venue that aids FCS institutions and Towns and doesn't support Pro/FBS communities.

Saint3333
December 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Other suggestions?

Easy, implement a scholarship minimum.

Biff
December 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Remember, In 2010 the chamopionship game will be the night before the BCS title game, so the issue of Friday night vs Saturday is a mute one. Besides, you want it on at Night no matter what day for maximum viewership..

As far as improvements for the FCS itself, better production quality on TV broadcasts througout the year.. With Digital TV and HDTV that should be something to look forward too.. I feel the lack of quality production makes the subdivision look inferior at times..

Better OOC games for all conferences.. Too many teams would rather play a weak nearby Div II team that play tough OOC teams from strong FCS conferences and if we want to improve the quality, we need this.. No excuses from teams saying they don't want to do a home/home with an OOC team because they need 6 home games.. There is more than enough opportunity for both to happen.

Drop the playoff expansion.. 20 teams is going to dilute the playoffs with more 7-4 and 7-5 teams with inferior quality wins.. Does a team with that kind of record really deserve a chance to be considered the best for that year.. There are exceptions, but not many.

The NCAA needs to redefine really what the FCS is and take a look at the whole college football landscape.. Too many teams moving to FBS and too many Div II moving up and too many teams adding football that have no business doing so.. We need more stability and teams working to raise attendance so the norm is 15,000+ home attendance We need all teams in the FCS to be regular playoff participates and at least 8 team conferences across the board...

This won't make the Swac or Ivy happy or a few others, but we don't need any part time teams, because in the end they are not helping build a stronger more recognizable subdivision by not sending their conference champ to the playoffs or rarely playing OOC from strong conferences.

I think playing the weak Div. II teams needs to be allowed, but shouldn't be the norm. For teams trying to building from a losing program, I can understand the need to get a whipping boy team. The Citadel has done just that with Webber International, and our program has been down for quite a few years. But, like most The Citadel fans I come across, they don't want The Citadel to play teams in NAIA, D3, or D2 every year.

I disagree with your conference size comment. While having a 5 team conference is a bit stupid and yes an 8 team conference is ideal to me ... But a 12 team conference isn't helping either. The way the CAA is set up, it is no different than having two 6 team conferences. They just get a few more quality FCS opponents that they are required to play. Also, I don't think any conference should get more that 2 or 3 in the playoffs, no matter how big the conference. If the conference schedule does its job, then those that deserve a second try will be noticed. But, the conference schedule should narrow the top teams in the conference down to the top 2 or 3. The SoCon this year had two candidates deserving a chance at the title. Had a third team mixed in causing a tie (Elon beat App St. basically), I would say three get in. But the CAA basically is sending 2 to 3 teams per the two "conferences" they support. Under BCS football, my 12 team conference thoughts reverse. The 12 conferences play a championship game basically acting as a first round playoff game. They just never finish the playoffs with a majical pick of the final game.

darell1976
December 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
The only improvement i can think of is to get rid of this damn 5 year transition period. Only 4 years to go.:(

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Really didnt read all the posts but to me its simple... top seed gets the game! lets look at the past 30 FCS 1 seeds Stadiums are good to go!

TCisMYhero
December 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM

F'n A man. Agreed to a "T".

TCisMYhero
December 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Really didnt read all the posts but to me its simple... top seed gets the game! lets look at the past 30 FCS 1 seeds Stadiums are good to go!

xthumbsupx xrulesx

blukeys
December 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM

I agree with your analysis on the TV technical side.

That being said Colgate will never get an average home attendance of 15,000. Yet, Colgate deserved to be in the 2003 championship game based on their on field performance.

There is a difference regarding the private and public schools in FCS that shoud be addressed. Any policy that disregards the limitations of the private colleges in the end limits the whole FCS subdivision.

Let's not cut off the neck of the goose that lays the golden egg. Let's find a way that the private schools (such as Richmond) can still be competitive at our level.

This helps us all.

mikebigg
December 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Start the playoffs the week AFTER Thanksgiving...

SideLine Shooter
December 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
It ain't broke. Don't fix it!

Maverick
December 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
The whole issue surrounding the location of the game comes down to a simple fact. It is based on who wants the game, not where we want the game to be played. The NCAA puts the game out to bid and cities then have the chance to bid. If you want it somewhere else, then get somebody or group in that city to submit a bid when the NCAA advertises for them.

As to the day and time issue, that is also another factor that is controlled by TV coverage as are many things about college football. FCS is a great product for those of use who know the game, but there is very little leverage that the NCAA has when it comes to moving the game.

These are realities that come with the territory.

The seeding issue seems to be the easiest one to do since the days of regionalization and cost containment that the NCAA invoked. I would hope that at least the top half of the field be seeded. But the question of hosting that comes with that still needs to considered. Should the NCAA continue to award host sites based on bids? Seeds would have to bid on hosting to be allowed to host which can be a problem when your athletic department can't or won't bid and you have to go on the road to play an unseeded team or a lower seed. I would support the continuation of the bid process for hosting games.

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
Start the playoffs the week AFTER Thanksgiving...

can I ask what this reply/pics are about? Lost via audio/video just dont get it what I see or hear

Mr. Tiger
December 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Fight for the elimination of NCAA financial guarantees and the surrender of 75 percent of the gate to the NCAA. The playoffs should be rewarding to FCS programs both on the field and at the ticket booth.

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Why change anything? Chattanooga has an airport.... just like any other decent size city.... fly there. If you can't afford to fly there.... sucks for you.

We don't need a different set up for the playoffs in terms of seeding. I don't really think the playoffs need to be expanded either, but I guess that is happening regardless.

And in terms of getting the Friday night time slot as opposed to the Saturday time slot for the championship game.... have a talk with ESPN.

JayJ79
December 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Fight for the elimination of NCAA financial guarantees and the surrender of 75 percent of the gate to the NCAA. The playoffs should be rewarding to FCS programs both on the field and at the ticket booth.

Much of that money is used to pay the travel expenses for the road team (or both teams for the championship).

bandl
December 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Can we get rid of the trolls??? xeyebrowx

MountainMan
December 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
How about a minimum of 45 scholarships for starters?

Also find a way for a team that wins the NC to not loose money doing it.

Biff
December 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
It ain't broke. Don't fix it!

As a government employee, I live by a slightly differnet code.

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I agree with this. Maybe a West site with three east coast sites, but certainly should rotate. I would also agree it need to be a venue that aids FCS institutions and Towns and doesn't support Pro/FBS communities.

Rotating it just doesn't make sense at the FCS level. Wherever it is, you need to give the hosting city at least a 5-year contract so they can invest in the game and do it right.

Chattanooga has improved their facilities, events surrounding the game, etc. They also have a great situation where there is plenty of tailgating opportunities around the game and also bar/restaurants within walking distance of the stadium and downtown.

I'm not against another city having the game, it just needs to be a long term agreement and unlike what normally happens in today's world (where $$$ talks), Chattanooga should have first right of refusal, since they have invested into the development of the Championship.

henfan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Others can add things but here are a few improvements I could suggest:

1. Seed 8 teams in playoffs instead of 4. I don't see how doing that would be that hard to do and I don't see it costing that much more in travel. The NCAA could still pair any team in the bottom 8 with any of the top 8 teams, so regionalization could still be done to a degree. I just don't think a top 8 team should play another top 8 team in the first round.

Please explain how taking revenue away from the playoff system would improve its financial viability? That's basically what you've suggested. I'm not picking on you, it just appears you haven't put much thought into this.

Taking the bid process out of the equation entirely for first round games (i.e.- handing out 8 seeds based purely on a committee's subjective decision) provides a major disincentive to schools to make anything more than the minimum bid on first round games. So, instead of schools dumping $100K-$150K bids or more into the kitty to pay for first round playoff expenses, no school would have reason to bid more $30K.

The NCAA has investigated seeding more teams but no one's yet found a way to make it work financially. Seeding 8 rather than 4 does indeed offer the PSC less flexibility in regionalizing brackets and minimizing costs. (Are we not in the cost-containment subdivision?) If there was clear evidence that seeding 8 made the system 'fairer' and financially stronger, it would be a done deal.

henfan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'd suggest not tampering too much with one of the elements that actually works (i.e.- the FCS post-season) but, instead, focus on doing things to make the subdivision work more cohesively.

FCS conferences are so varied and have such different focuses. There really needs to be more of a concerted effort to work together on legislative issues and media & merchandising deals that make the entire subdivision stronger. There's virtually none of that going on at present, with each conference out on there own island. It's counterproductive, IMO.

Biff
December 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Rotating it just doesn't make sense at the FCS level. Wherever it is, you need to give the hosting city at least a 5-year contract so they can invest in the game and do it right.

Chattanooga has improved their facilities, events surrounding the game, etc. They also have a great situation where there is plenty of tailgating opportunities around the game and also bar/restaurants within walking distance of the stadium and downtown.

I'm not against another city having the game, it just needs to be a long term agreement and unlike what normally happens in today's world (where $$$ talks), Chattanooga should have first right of refusal, since they have invested into the development of the Championship.

The only good thing about rotation is you can slip a west coast site in occasionally, but in general I agree with you. I would contract the rotation in for a number of years to ensure teams, like Chattanooga, can use it as a way to get the benefit for hosting the game.

***Not sure what the thumbs down on my post is about. Must of hit a wrong button.***

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Create a middle tier subdivison for all schools drawing in the 40,000 to 15,000 fan range from both the FBS and FCS.

LacesOut
December 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Do not expand the number of teams for the playoff field!

UAalum72
December 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Create a middle tier subdivison for all schools drawing in the 40,000 to 15,000 fan range from both the FBS and FCS.
You do realize only a dozen teams from the current FCS would move to your new middle tier.

GSU Eagle
December 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I would have to see the financial facts to see how viable the playoffs are, but from a competitive point of view doesn't it make sense to seed the top 8?

If money is such an issue the NCAA could raise the minimum bid required. A school seeded in the top 8 would have to meet the minimum bid to get the home game. If they don't they the school from the bottom 8 would host. The minimum bid could be raised from $30,000 or whatever it is to $50,000.

In reality who are the top 8 going to be most years-- most of them will be the schools that draw crowds-- Montana, Appalachian, JMU, GSU (if we can get our program back), Northern Iowa, etc.

I don't see how seeding the top 8 would not still allow the NCAA flexibility in regionalization. You still would have 8 other teams who could be sent to any of the top 8 in the first round.

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
As a government employee, I live by a slightly differnet code.

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

That is part of what is wrong with this country. If government had to operate like a true business and not one held up by shareholders this would be a better place.xnodx xnodx

I-AA Fan
December 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have always favored a more structured play-off to begin with (equal representation based on region & conference. However:

1. Ignoring expense ...seed all teams as it used to be. Top-4 seeds should be equally represented ...one from each region.

2. Allow a city in each region to host the championship once every 4 years. FYI, there are very few cities that want it, so do not expect too much.

3. The move to the eve of the national title game is going to be wonderful for ratings, but very difficult for travel. The BCS title game is usually on a Wednesday.

4. One of the major drawbacks of a play-off is the lack of emphasis an any team but the winner. Award teams at all levels: conference champion, regional (final-4) champion, final (runner-up), and title (national champion).

5. Offer bye-weeks once the 24 team increase is made. Giving the top-8 teams the first week off. This places emphasis on the regular season, and winning the conference where it belongs.

henfan
December 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
I would have to see the financial facts to see how viable the playoffs are, but from a competitive point of view doesn't it make sense to seed the top 8?

If money is such an issue the NCAA could raise the minimum bid required. A school seeded in the top 8 would have to meet the minimum bid to get the home game. If they don't they the school from the bottom 8 would host. The minimum bid could be raised from $30,000 or whatever it is to $50,000. ..

I don't see how seeding the top 8 would not still allow the NCAA flexibility in regionalization. You still would have 8 other teams who could be sent to any of the top 8 in the first round.

More to the point, please explain how a subjective process of seeding 8 teams assures a more competitively balanced, enhanced playoff? Maybe you're somehow suggesting that the process of seeding the top 8 isn't subjective? I don't follow. Try to sell me on this point.

You do realize that the more financially successful FCS programs typically bid in excess of $100K for first round games? If you're lobbying to only raise the minimum bids to $50K, you'll need to justify how the NCAA can make up the shortfall. You'd automatically be creating a disincentive for any school to bid more than $50K. You'll also need to explain what to do with those schools who can't financially justify $50K minimum but who might otherwise be eligible for seeds. Raising it even to $50K is going to price a lot of schools right out of the running, especially if there's no competitive bid process.

As for seeding more teams, the number of schools available for more regionally appropriate matchups would lessen. Four teams who might otherwise be available for a regionalized matchup would have to be automatically slotted and then matched up according to region. Admittedly, not a huge issue but it does lessen the flexibility of the PSC.

GSU Eagle
December 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
If we had a committee generated ranking system that would be made public, starting the 2nd week of October, we would know who the top 8 teams were.

It could either be just the committee rankings or committee rankings combined with some type of computer rankings. The point is more transparency is better. I would like to see this done so when we get to the playoff selections we would know going into the last week who the top teams were.

What we have now is no real commication from the committee until selection day when magically the top 4 seeds are announced and the rest of the field announced.

I guess I don't think everything should come down to money. Bids could still come into play however. Again if a top 8 seed did not bid the required minimum (whatever the NCAA deems that minimum should be) then they could lose their 1st round host. If both top 8 seeds lose in the first round then whoever bids the most from the 2 winners probably would get the home game.

I still would argue that seeding 8 instead of 4 would not greatly reduce the flexibility the NCAA would have in trying to match up teams regionally. You still have 8 non-seeded teams to pair with whoever in the 8 seeded teams.

Yes it is subjective who the top 8 are to some degree, but it just is not competitively fair to have a #5 team play a #1 seed in the first round of a 16 team tournament.

This is an entirely other topic but with the FBS raking in millions upon millions, there should be more sharing of this money with the FCS. It wouldn't take a great amount to make up for whatever difference seeding 8 teams instead of 4 would cost the money-hungry NCAA in expenses.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
If we had a committee generated ranking system that would be made public, starting the 2nd week of October, we would know who the top 8 teams were.

It could either be just the committee rankings or committee rankings combined with some type of computer rankings. The point is more transparency is better. I would like to see this done so when we get to the playoff selections we would know going into the last week who the top teams were.

What we have now is no real commication from the committee until selection day when magically the top 4 seeds are announced and the rest of the field announced.

I guess I don't think everything should come down to money. Bids could still come into play however. Again if a top 8 seed did not bid the required minimum (whatever the NCAA deems that minimum should be) then they could lose their 1st round host. If both top 8 seeds lose in the first round then whoever bids the most from the 2 winners probably would get the home game.

I still would argue that seeding 8 instead of 4 would not greatly reduce the flexibility the NCAA would have in trying to match up teams regionally. You still have 8 non-seeded teams to pair with whoever in the 8 seeded teams.

Yes it is subjective who the top 8 are to some degree, but it just is not competitively fair to have a #5 team play a #1 seed in the first round of a 16 team tournament.

This is an entirely other topic but with the FBS raking in millions upon millions, there should be more sharing of this money with the FCS. It wouldn't take a great amount to make up for whatever difference seeding 8 teams instead of 4 would cost the money-hungry NCAA in expenses.

Any ranking system would be arbitrary - considering the extreme lack of inter-conference games, there isn't enough actual evidence on which to judge how a Montana, for example, matches up with Richmond, for example, considering that they didn't play each other, didn't play a single common opponent, and I'd wager they didn't have a single common opponent of an opponent. There is no ranking system that does anything other than pick data out of the air on which to rank teams at the FCS level. What's so much better about replacing an arbitrary selection done by a playoff selection committee and replacing it with a similar arbitrary selection done then by some agglommerated computer/person system? In either case, it's arbitrary and it's a guess.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
You do realize only a dozen teams from the current FCS would move to your new middle tier.

Sure do, that was the idea. xsmiley_wix

JMU DJ
December 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM

I like the idea of a consistent ranking system besides the coaches poll that would give us an idea how teams are going to be ranked going into the playoffs. If you have a problem with the way the BCS uses computers for rankings then the same would apply to the FCS. You'd probably have 10 CAA teams ranked in the top 16 based on strength of schedule while the Big sky and other weaker conferences would only have one or two teams (I KID I KID!!!). But something like that could happen with computer ranking depending on how the program views the conference/teams that are played. If one year the SoCon is viewed to have the toughest competition, perhaps a 3 or 4 loss SoCon team would make the playoffs over a 2 loss SWAC team. Then we would end up with the same bickering that we see in the FBS.

I also like the idea of extending the seeding of playoff teams, but why not all the way to 16 teams? This way you would have #1 play #16 as opposed to some of the opening games this year (i.e. JMU v Wofford... I don't think any Wofford fan would agree that they were the 16th seed this playoff season). As some on this board believe a couple of NC games were played in the opener... at least included teams that should not have faced each other until later rounds.

NashMoc
December 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I can guarantee you that some of the cities that have bid on the Championship game in the past would not bid on it based on a rotating schedule. Chattanooga would not be interested in bidding for the game if it were played only every 4 years. The investments made into the stadium and the game were not made for a single year. Chattanooga wants the game, and has done a good job of improving the experience for fans and teams every year. This is not the Super Bowl folks. Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas and the like are not clamoring to host FCS Championship. Would you rather spend two or three days in Chattanooga or Cedar Falls, IA?

ElonPride
December 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM

If it rotated cities, it would be nice to keep it in the heart of the majority of FCS schools......Tenn, NC, GA.......

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
If it rotated cities, it would be nice to keep it in the heart of the majority of FCS schools......Tenn, NC, GA.......

Geez, with that footprint do you mean the heart of the majority of FCS schools or the heart of SoCon schools?? xlolx

ur2k
December 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Just a question (not meant to offend) - have any of the people asking for a change from Nooga been to the game there?

Attending my first this past Friday (edited). I thought the city and stadium were great for this game.

And for those who ask for it to be pushed out west - take a look at this map, I think it explains the reasons to keep it East or in the middle of the country.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGallery/images/2k_night.jpg

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I can guarantee you that some of the cities that have bid on the Championship game in the past would not bid on it based on a rotating schedule. Chattanooga would not be interested in bidding for the game if it were played only every 4 years. The investments made into the stadium and the game were not made for a single year. Chattanooga wants the game, and has done a good job of improving the experience for fans and teams every year. This is not the Super Bowl folks. Orlando, Los Angeles, Dallas and the like are not clamoring to host FCS Championship. Would you rather spend two or three days in Chattanooga or Cedar Falls, IA?

Neither. Both are home to FCS teams.

I want to go someplace that doesn't have an FCS team.

My ideal pick is still Las Vegas. They have a great stadium there and it would be an excellent vacation destination as well.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Neither. Both are home to FCS teams.

I want to go someplace that doesn't have an FCS team.

My ideal pick is still Las Vegas. They have a great stadium there and it would be an excellent vacation destination as well.

Wow, actually agreeing with Mpls - if Vegas wanted us, I'd pick that too. Nothing against Chatty, it's a nice place to play, but Vegas would rock and could actually be cheaper to get to. xthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
December 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM

I thought about the same thing, but it is the only way to handle it. I favor a permanent venue myself. Or at least a semi-permanent venue where a city can bid for a guaranteed specific number of years. I do think that the venue should change if the one of the two teams in the final is the home site. That is why I favor non-affiliated permanent host.

griz8791
December 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
A couple of observations:

1. Now that I've been there, it's clear to me that the Chattanooga business community really wants to have this game. To me it was a really big deal to finally go to Chattanooga to see my team play in the NC, and every local I met the day of the game was talking it up and reinforcing my (admittedly naive) belief that making it to the FCS national championship is a big deal. I doubt Vegas would be that enthusiastic. They are just too jaded.

2. Looking at my own pics and tanagriz's pics, I think the NCAA should be reluctant to try to put the game in a bigger venue than Finley.

Maverick
December 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Gannonfan and MplsBison,
I have no problem with Las Vegas, but as noted by GannonFan, there is a big "if" when it comes to them wanting us. Apparently, they (Las Vegas) have not shown any indication in the past that they consider this game something worth pursuing. That may change if the game grows larger with the changes coming next year in terms of the date for the championship. But to say where we "ought" to be going sounds about as smart as saying that football should only be played on one kind of surface!! Which is what happens when you only want to look at a small part of the whole issue. So until you can show me a city that is actually interested in hosting the game then you really don't have anything to add other than personal desires which ain't worth much more than what the bull left in the barnyard.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
You don't wait for a city to come to you.

That's how you end up with your championship game in Chattanooga TN, for crying out loud.

If you want Vegas you have to go out and get Vegas. You have to market your product and show them what we can do for them.

GSUISBACK
December 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Get a sponsor(s) for playoffs so games are more financially rewarding. 2.5 million would be ~150k per game and give the champion and runner up ~625k.

henfan
December 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I do agree that the NCAA needs to do a better job of marketing the FCS and aggressively marketing its playoff tournament. Highly unlikely though that a large non-FCS city is going to care one iota about our title game. The FCS has little to offer Vegas, IMO.

Biff
December 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
That is part of what is wrong with this country. If government had to operate like a true business and not one held up by shareholders this would be a better place.xnodx xnodx

Tell me about it. The problem is that the loser nerds that the government should have never hired are the problem. In my line of work socialism is alive and well. I see people that have no business being managers and initiating policy that does exactly that. But we have to give the same oppurtunities to all. There have been improvements however.

But, seriously back to fixing or not fixing the FCS.

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Other suggestions?

Yes. Move the NC game to Texas.

Maverick
December 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
"If you want Vegas you have to go out and get Vegas. You have to market your product and show them what we can do for them."

Well MplsBison,
Since you want Vegas, what are you doing to show Vegas what the FCS championship can do for them? Maybe it will be as well received as your campaign for the correct field surface was earlier! xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx

utcfan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
So, as I understand it, instead of playing the FCS in Chattanooga--a city that values the game--promotes the game--and by most folks who attend the game have a good few days---the NCAA should go beg a city to take the game? This makes sense to you guys?

I vote they make the game permanent in Chattanooga, and market the game until such time as the game outgrows the city and a large city and venue wants the game.

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
So, as I understand it, instead of playing the FCS in Chattanooga--a city that values the game--promotes the game--and by most folks who attend the game have a good few days---the NCAA should go beg a city to take the game? This makes sense to you guys?

I vote they make the game permanent in Chattanooga, and market the game until such time as the game outgrows the city and a large city and venue wants the game.

Cfan, I'm with you. Chatty is a great place for this game. If they want to move it, Chatty should hire ASU and make it the Mountaineer Bowl and just bring in another team with ASU and we will all have some fun.

Seriously, the NCAA would be making a mistake (not their first) if they ever move this game from Chattanooga. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The city and the people of Chattanooga bo a GREAT job!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xnodx

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Chattanooga seemed to be ready this year for the game. There was much less chaos and more crowd control. It was a good night

That's because there was much less of a crowd! :>)

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Easy, implement a scholarship minimum.

Amen! I've been preaching this for years, but for some reason nobody wants to listen. It isn't east to figure out why FCS football doesn't receive much respect from the college football world. The division has become watered down with far too many pretenders and not enough contenders. FCS football has it's maximums, but no minimums and those minimums are what forces a school to decide at what level it actually wants to compete. IMO, when the NCAA mandated schools had to play all sports at the same level things took a dramatic turn for the worse. I find it interesting how basketball had a bigger impact on the FCS than football.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
Sure do, that was the idea. xsmiley_wix

Is this Nathan?

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Wow, actually agreeing with Mpls - if Vegas wanted us, I'd pick that too. Nothing against Chatty, it's a nice place to play, but Vegas would rock and could actually be cheaper to get to. xthumbsupx

It's actually far less expensive for App Fans to drive to Chattanooga than fly to Vegas. :>)

placidlakegriz
December 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Why? Since 1990 only 8 of the 36 finalists have come from the West.

Lets see thats about 25%, so one out of four games should be played out west.

Cobblestone
December 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned but ALL conference champions should get an automatic playoff berth.

appfan2008
December 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Get a sponsor(s) for playoffs so games are more financially rewarding. 2.5 million would be ~150k per game and give the champion and runner up ~625k.

I like that idea... how about the Allstate FCS Playoffs... or the FCS Playoffs sponsored by GM...

seems like if you said that line at every timeout you could make some good money...

MplsBison
December 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM

OF course you do, you're a UTC fan. Your opinion should not count since you're so obviously biased.

So long as the game stays in Chatty, a small time town with a small time stadium, the FCS will be perceived as small time.

NashMoc
December 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
OF course you do, you're a UTC fan. Your opinion should not count since you're so obviously biased.

So long as the game stays in Chatty, a small time town with a small time stadium, the FCS will be perceived as small time.

FCS is what it is. It is never going to compete with FBS football, nor should it. The FCS is a place for smaller colleges to compete and have their place to crown a real National Champion. The location of the Championship game is not the reason that FCS is perceived as small time. The FCS is small time and we as FCS fans need to embrace the fact that schools like Wofford, Richmond, Villanova, UNH and W&M can be competitive and play for National Championships. You can't say the same thing about the FBS. There are only two dozen programs in that league that can compete year in and year out.

P.S. I don't think you have to worry about my Mocs having home field advantage in the Championship game anytime soon.

Proud Griz Man
December 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
16 games is too many for 18-23 year-old student athletes. Money whores need to realize that. xnonox

I can't believe that the NCAA is expanding the FCS playoffs to 20 teams and extending it to January. It is getting as bad as the NHL or WS of Poker. xreadx

MplsBison
December 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
FCS is what it is. It is never going to compete with FBS football, nor should it. The FCS is a place for smaller colleges to compete and have their place to crown a real National Champion. The location of the Championship game is not the reason that FCS is perceived as small time. The FCS is small time and we as FCS fans need to embrace the fact that schools like Wofford, Richmond, Villanova, UNH and W&M can be competitive and play for National Championships. You can't say the same thing about the FBS. There are only two dozen programs in that league that can compete year in and year out.

P.S. I don't think you have to worry about my Mocs having home field advantage in the Championship game anytime soon.

Not that I disagree with your overall message, but there are really only a handful of FCS programs that compete for the national championship every year too. No different.

griz8791
December 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM

Granted, Finley isn't the country's biggest stadium but if your point is how FCS is "perceived", then consider how Finley or any other stadium looks on TV. If the producers choose camera angles that focus on the action on the field Finley looks pretty much like any other college stadium with a football game going on. I know this because in previous years I have watched television coverage of the NC game being played there. Because I was there this year, I didn't see it on TV but it's hard to imagine there were a lot of wide-angle shots that made the stadium look "small time."

Now consider what happens if you put the game into a "big time" venue like, say, the Metrodome. xwhistlex

The more people the venue seats, the bigger the risk the NCAA takes of having a lot of them empty. This is especially true in a playoff system where the two programs with the biggest fanbases might not get to the championship, or maybe one of them does have a big fanbase but distance and economic conditions hold attendance down. And the more empty seats you have, the harder it is for the producers to avoid camera angles that show empty seats.

This year I have seen a few Ball State games on late-night TV. I don't know what their capacity is but I do know I kept seeing empty seats and the empty seats in turn made it look "small time."

My point is that most years, FCS is going to have a better chance of filling Finley than a bigger venue, and if they run out of real seats it looks like they could put temporary stands on the plaza behind the west end zone and let people sit on the grassy hill in the east end zone.

UAalum72
December 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Amen! I've been preaching this for years, but for some reason nobody wants to listen. It isn't east to figure out why FCS football doesn't receive much respect from the college football world. The division has become watered down with far too many pretenders and not enough contenders.
Yeah right, because I-AA got soooooooo much respect before 1993. I can almost remember all the ESPN coverage and the special newspaper preview sections for that Southern Illinois - Western Carolina championship matchup back in '83.

henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
The focus of D-I cost containment FB is not playing to the masses, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be.

Like or not, whether right or wrong, all D-I FB not associated with a major conference is perceived by the masses as being 'small time'. So what? As my friend Gannonfan has so adeptly pointed out, the opinions and perceptions of others shouldn't impact the appreciation or support of those who value FCS football and its post-season one iota. If other's perceptions impact your enjoyment, it's probably time to pick a BCS team and start rooting of them instead.

IMO, Chattanooga's done a great job hosting the FCS championship game. (Among those who would like to see the game moved, I wonder how many have actually experienced the championship event firsthand?) From my perspective, the championship game setting is the least of the FCS's worries. The subdivision has much bigger fish to fry.

MplsBison
December 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Granted, Finley isn't the country's biggest stadium but if your point is how FCS is "perceived", then consider how Finley or any other stadium looks on TV. If the producers choose camera angles that focus on the action on the field Finley looks pretty much like any other college stadium with a football game going on. I know this because in previous years I have watched television coverage of the NC game being played there. Because I was there this year, I didn't see it on TV but it's hard to imagine there were a lot of wide-angle shots that made the stadium look "small time."

Now consider what happens if you put the game into a "big time" venue like, say, the Metrodome. xwhistlex

The more people the venue seats, the bigger the risk the NCAA takes of having a lot of them empty. This is especially true in a playoff system where the two programs with the biggest fanbases might not get to the championship, or maybe one of them does have a big fanbase but distance and economic conditions hold attendance down. And the more empty seats you have, the harder it is for the producers to avoid camera angles that show empty seats.

This year I have seen a few Ball State games on late-night TV. I don't know what their capacity is but I do know I kept seeing empty seats and the empty seats in turn made it look "small time."

My point is that most years, FCS is going to have a better chance of filling Finley than a bigger venue, and if they run out of real seats it looks like they could put temporary stands on the plaza behind the west end zone and let people sit on the grassy hill in the east end zone.

You never know unless you try.

A town like Las Vegas might come out and support the FCS title game if we make it an "event".

Lets sign a 3-5 year deal, give it our best shot to make the title game in Vegas THE place to be and if it doesn't work, then fine.

We can always go back to Chatty, they have nothing else, they can't turn us down.

But blindly staying in Chatty? It's like living in your parent's basement.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah right, because I-AA got soooooooo much respect before 1993. I can almost remember all the ESPN coverage and the special newspaper preview sections for that Southern Illinois - Western Carolina championship matchup back in '83.

ESPN filling up noon Saturday and 8PM Friday time slots they can barely sell is not being shown respect.

UAalum72
December 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
ESPN filling up noon Saturday and 8PM Friday time slots they can barely sell is not being shown respect.
If your top FCS teams are treated that way, you're stuck. Go move up to FBS if you want. Then you can listen to them whine about Division I being watered down by teams from the sticks who can't draw 40,000.

I love how you think the subdivision is disrespected because of teams that the national media nevers hears about. Or the OVC's proposals stating that some leagues 'detract from the championship experience' even though they've never been to the championships. As long as there are subdivisions, FCS will be seen as lesser quality. And it will take (a lot) more than one upset of a BCS team a year to change that.

griz8791
December 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Having the game in January would be a big improvement. I didn't get all my shopping done before I left, am jamming to get it done now, and consequently am now enduring the Silent Treatment. A January NC would prevent this. I might still get the Silent Treatment in January, but it would then necessarily be in retaliation for something other than not getting the Christmas shopping done before gallivanting off to Chattanooga.

eaglesrthe1
December 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM

A town like Las Vegas might come out and support the FCS title game if we make it an "event".

Lets sign a 3-5 year deal, give it our best shot to make the title game in Vegas THE place to be and if it doesn't work, then fine.

We can always go back to Chatty, they have nothing else, they can't turn us down.

If there is one thing that Vegas is capable of doing, it's putting on a show. IOW, if Vegas wanted it, then they would do the one simple thing that was required to get it... put up a bid. It isn't necessary for the NCAA to make it an event, that's Vegas's bread and butter. If they thought it would make them a dime, they'd be all over it. They aren't interested.

In the mean time, Chatty is interested, making the effort, and putting up the money.

Nuff' said.

Proud Griz Man
December 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Having the game in January would be a big improvement. I didn't get all my shopping done before I left, am jamming to get it done now, and consequently am now enduring the Silent Treatment. A January NC would prevent this. I might still get the Silent Treatment in January, but it would then necessarily be in retaliation for something other than not getting the Christmas shopping done before gallivanting off to Chattanooga.

They are not moving the game to January because of your shopping or spousal unhappiness. xconfusedx

Imagine the extra cost to UM if the chipper was in January 2009 instead of last weekend.

Think about the extra cost for 2-3 more weeks to keep the football program running at 100% with all the equipment managers, athletic trainers, medical doctor, athletic department personnel, WaGriz stadium maintenance staff, video filmers, plus coaches, secretaries, grad assistants, and 70+ players. Its a stupid idea. xsmhx

crunifan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
How about we have it in Cedar Falls, Iowa? I hear there is this great facility called the UNI-Dome. It hosts big events like the National Wrestling Duels, so they are capable of hosting a big event like this. Plus, it will be nice and warm (inside).

Plus, this will be the only way UNI will finally win a title. We need it handed to us apparently. xsmhx

bobbythekidd
December 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM

I think Vegas has too many other things to do. The locals won't even know a game is being played. I was there one year durring the Arena League Super bowl. No one was aware of the game or where it was.

In Chattanooga the game is the thing to do.

griz8791
December 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Easy, PGM. I thought I read here that it has already been decided the game is moving to January or that they are at least discussing it. I intended the rest of my post to be sort of funny.

Proud Griz Man
December 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Easy, PGM. I thought I read here that it has already been decided the game is moving to January or that they are at least discussing it. I intended the rest of my post to be sort of funny.

No harm intended Mr. 8791. I just used your post to illustrate how this stupid idea is going to add tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars to an already tight athletic budget.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I think it should stay in 'nooga. They've had it for a number of years and therefore have the organization in place for a smooth operation. The weather is generally acceptable for that time of year. It is also not too distant from major airport (Atlanta) and near major interstate highways.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
If there is one thing that Vegas is capable of doing, it's putting on a show. IOW, if Vegas wanted it, then they would do the one simple thing that was required to get it... put up a bid. It isn't necessary for the NCAA to make it an event, that's Vegas's bread and butter. If they thought it would make them a dime, they'd be all over it. They aren't interested.

In the mean time, Chatty is interested, making the effort, and putting up the money.

Nuff' said.

As I stated, my opinion is to leave it in Chatty. However, if you are going to move it, New Orleans would fit the bill better than Vegas. Vegas has too many conventions, UFC, PBR, and other events. The game would be small potatoes and would not be embraced or promoted.
New Orleans could certainly offer more than Vegas and every 5th year, you'd have the FCS and FBS championships on back to back nights.

The are a few good things about moving it to January (although I prefer playing it straight through). 1st-Recovery Time for your nicked up players, 2nd--Attendance should rise because more fans can make travel plans, plus it does not conflict with a heavy holiday schedule.

JayJ79
December 24th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Think about the extra cost for 2-3 more weeks to keep the football program running at 100% with all the equipment managers, athletic trainers, medical doctor, athletic department personnel, WaGriz stadium maintenance staff, video filmers, plus coaches, secretaries, grad assistants, and 70+ players. Its a stupid idea. xsmhx

Aren't athletic dept. personnel and coaches/grad assistants and stuff on salary anyway? So I don't think the extra 2-3 weeks is going to cost that much more for those people. (though it DOES further cut into the "recruiting season"). Besides, it is only two teams/programs that have to worry about the extra "burden".

Plus, it gives the student athletes a little more opportunity for their final exams and whatnot, since I know with many schools, final exam week is right around the week that the NC game currently goes.

Sir William
December 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
You don't wait for a city to come to you.

That's how you end up with your championship game in Chattanooga TN, for crying out loud.

If you want Vegas you have to go out and get Vegas. You have to market your product and show them what we can do for them.

Hey MplsBison...seeing that Thundar and your boys have yet to even be in the FCS playoffs, isn't it a bit premature for you to assume Chatty is a bad choice for the championship? Quite frankly, the vast majority of FCS fans whose teams have participated in the championship at Chatty (and especially those whose teams have also participated in the championship in other cities) agree that Chattanooga is a great place for the game. The hospitality of the city is great, and the city itself wants the game! Additionally, it is far more centrally located to the geographic center of the FCS world.

Truth is, most of us don't want the game in a town like Vegas for a variety of the reasons already mentioned on this thread. As one good man has already said...IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

It ain't broke, my friend. Forget Vegas.

MplsBison
December 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Nuff' said.

You're wrong because the fact is that if we want the title game in Vegas we are going to have to go out and market ourselves to Vegas. We have to convince them that we can provide a big time product to them that will make them a lot of money.

We can't afford to sit back and let cities come to us. That's how we got Chatty.

MplsBison
December 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think Vegas has too many other things to do. The locals won't even know a game is being played. I was there one year durring the Arena League Super bowl. No one was aware of the game or where it was.

In Chattanooga the game is the thing to do.

I won't disagree with you.

But we'll never know unless we try.

MplsBison
December 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hey MplsBison...seeing that Thundar and your boys have yet to even be in the FCS playoffs, isn't it a bit premature for you to assume Chatty is a bad choice for the championship? Quite frankly, the vast majority of FCS fans whose teams have participated in the championship at Chatty (and especially those whose teams have also participated in the championship in other cities) agree that Chattanooga is a great place for the game. The hospitality of the city is great, and the city itself wants the game! Additionally, it is far more centrally located to the geographic center of the FCS world.

Truth is, most of us don't want the game in a town like Vegas for a variety of the reasons already mentioned on this thread. As one good man has already said...IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

It ain't broke, my friend. Forget Vegas.

It done dang is broke.

It dang ole needs fixin'.

Proud Griz Man
December 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Aren't athletic dept. personnel and coaches/grad assistants and stuff on salary anyway? So I don't think the extra 2-3 weeks is going to cost that much more for those people. (though it DOES further cut into the "recruiting season"). Besides, it is only two teams/programs that have to worry about the extra "burden".

Plus, it gives the student athletes a little more opportunity for their final exams and whatnot, since I know with many schools, final exam week is right around the week that the NC game currently goes.

You're kidding me J, aren't you? You honestly don't believe that that additional costs would be substantial? I understand variable costs versus fixed costs, and took several accounting and economic courses. xnonono2x

eaglesrthe1
December 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
You're wrong because the fact is that if we want the title game in Vegas we are going to have to go out and market ourselves to Vegas. We have to convince them that we can provide a big time product to them that will make them a lot of money.

We can't afford to sit back and let cities come to us. That's how we got Chatty.

Who is this "we" you speak of?

The NCAA is happy with Chatty... Chatty is happy with the game. Chatty it is, unless some other city wants to step up.

MplsBison
December 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM

The NCAA is happy with Chatty... Chatty is happy with the game. Chatty it is, unless some other city wants to step up.

You don't speak for the NCAA.

BlueHen86
December 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM

You throw the word "we" around as if you think you are the NCAA.

At least that is our humble opinion.xlolx

eaglesrthe1
December 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM

I sure don't, but this dude does.

“We love having the game in Chattanooga, and we want the game to stay in Chattanooga.”

NCAA director of football and baseball Damani Leech

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=chattanooga-fcs-final-will-move-to-janua&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry, but putting the championship game in Las Vegas is a silly idea. If you want a tourist destination, then why not put it in DC, Memphis, Atlanta, or heck even Miami or New York City? Why does it have to be in Las Vegas away from the general concentration of FCS schools? I generally notice it's people near the west coast who generally want it in Las Vegas. Stop acting like the west if the center of the FCS world. It isn't.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I sure don't, but this dude does.

“We love having the game in Chattanooga, and we want the game to stay in Chattanooga.”

NCAA director of football and baseball Damani Leech

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=chattanooga-fcs-final-will-move-to-janua&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Thanks for the link, it has validated the fact that Chattanooga will likely not be the long term home of the FCS title game:

“I think this opens up some pretty interesting possibilities,” said Tom Yeager, commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association. “At the end of the day, there’s questions about what is good for the regular season and what can help the championship grow. There could some be some neat tie-ins (by putting the title games back to back).”

UTC athletic director Rick Hart is also against the switch.

“I don’t personally think this decision is in the best interests of the game,” he said Tuesday. “I think it could significantly impact a lot of the equity that has built up in the game.

Because of the flexibility with the dates, Hart said, “it’s going to be challenging, year to year, to commit to a game, not only as a host institution, when you don’t know when it’s going to occur.”

Chatty is waffling on its continued support for hosting the game and others are eager to see it continue to grow.

Hard to grow it much more when capacity is maxed out in Chatty.

Vegas or elsewhere is probably the right place to start looking!

MplsBison
December 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Sorry, but putting the championship game in Las Vegas is a silly idea. If you want a tourist destination, then why not put it in DC, Memphis, Atlanta, or heck even Miami or New York City? Why does it have to be in Las Vegas away from the general concentration of FCS schools? I generally notice it's people near the west coast who generally want it in Las Vegas. Stop acting like the west if the center of the FCS world. It isn't.

It doesn't have to be in Vegas. That was just a suggestion as a fun destination for the game.

I just want it in a city that has a large national airport and in a stadium that is not a home stadium for a FCS team.

813Jag
December 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
As I stated, my opinion is to leave it in Chatty. However, if you are going to move it, New Orleans would fit the bill better than Vegas. Vegas has too many conventions, UFC, PBR, and other events. The game would be small potatoes and would not be embraced or promoted.
New Orleans could certainly offer more than Vegas and every 5th year, you'd have the FCS and FBS championships on back to back nights.

The are a few good things about moving it to January (although I prefer playing it straight through). 1st-Recovery Time for your nicked up players, 2nd--Attendance should rise because more fans can make travel plans, plus it does not conflict with a heavy holiday schedule.

You have to add in the Sugar Bowl before that. There aren't enough rooms in New Orleans for all that action. With all that activity New Orleans would be madness, especially post Katrina. New Orleans (Louisiana) could care less about FCS football, outside of Lake Charles, Natchitoches, Hammond, North Baton Rouge, Grambling and Thibaboux. You'll run into the same problems in other large cities.

I think Chatty is good for the game.

JetsLuvver
December 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
It's probably been covered before, and there's probably nothing that can be done about it, but I wish the Ivy, SWAC and Pioneer would quit holding out of the playoff system.

There may be some exceptions here and there (I think there is a Div III conf or two that subscribe to the whole Ivy philosophy when it comes to football playoffs), but generally at all other levels of NCAA competition, the main goal of all members is to reach postseason play and get as far as you can.

These schools should stop cheating their players and fans of the full FCS experience.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM
The Ivy, PFL and SWAC schools wouldn't have to do a single thing in order to be considered for the playoffs except to schedule more scholarship FCS teams and win those games.

813Jag
December 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The Ivy, PFL and SWAC schools wouldn't have to do a single thing in order to be considered for the playoffs except to schedule more scholarship FCS teams and win those games.
I'm sure you know about the little event called the SWAC Championship game, which prevents the champion and runner up from going to the playoffs.

UAalum72
December 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM
The Ivy wouldn't even have to do that, they just have to decide they want in and their history, name recognition, and prestige would get the NCAA to call a special meeting to make a spot for them ASAP.

DFW HOYA
December 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM

This assumes the Ivy (and to a lesser extent, the SWAC) want to be in the playoffs. And, of course, everyone knows the NCAA committee does not want the Pioneer in the conversation.

AppMan
December 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
If your top FCS teams are treated that way, you're stuck. Go move up to FBS if you want. Then you can listen to them whine about Division I being watered down by teams from the sticks who can't draw 40,000.

I love how you think the subdivision is disrespected because of teams that the national media nevers hears about. Or the OVC's proposals stating that some leagues 'detract from the championship experience' even though they've never been to the championships. As long as there are subdivisions, FCS will be seen as lesser quality. And it will take (a lot) more than one upset of a BCS team a year to change that.

Reasons for the lack of respect being shown to FCS football go far deeper than simply not being known by the media. Programs that offer 1/3 the scholarships allowed by the division, play in high school sized stadiums and draw 3,000 per game do far more damage to the image and perception to those who are attempting to play at a high level. Please understand, my beef is with the NCAA and not with any individual school. I completely understand schools playing football at a comfort level compatible with their mission statement. But to indiscriminately lump everyone into the same division just because there is nowhere else to put them is doing a disservice to all these schools. FCS schools boast stadium sizes from 70,000 down to 3,000 and average attendance figures from nearly 30,000 to less than 1,500 per game. In 2007, ’08 figures are not in yet, over 1/3 of FCS teams averaged less than 5,000 per game. Yes I know there is some disparity among FBS schools as well, but to not nearly the degree as is in the FCS. There needs to be some accountability as far as the commitment level a particular school has to the division. Stadium size, attendance and minimum scholarships awarded are the only ways to measure real commitment. Until those issues are resolved there will always be some resentment among the top schools in the division.

MplsBison
December 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
This assumes the Ivy (and to a lesser extent, the SWAC) want to be in the playoffs. And, of course, everyone knows the NCAA committee does not want the Pioneer in the conversation.

If Detroit or San Diego would schedule 4 good scholarship FCS teams and beat them, they would force themselves to be considered.

But we know they won't do that. They want something for nothing.

UAalum72
December 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
If Detroit or San Diego would schedule 4 good scholarship FCS teams and beat them, they would force themselves to be considered.

Detroit has football?

Programs that offer 1/3 the scholarships allowed by the division, play in high school sized stadiums and draw 3,000 per game do far more damage to the image and perception to those who are attempting to play at a high level.
Those schools almost never play FBS schools and therefore are not on the national radar at all, it's the ones that do follow your requirements, play FBS schools, and are still lousy that damage the image a lot more. for example the last night's announcer saying Miami 'wasn't playing Charleston Southern any more'. CSU is full scholly, aren't they?

uofmman1122
December 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Detroit has football?Despite Detroit Flyer's name, I'm pretty sure he's referring to Dayton.

MplsBison
December 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Despite Detroit Flyer's name, I'm pretty sure he's referring to Dayton.

LOL! You got it.

AppMan
December 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Detroit has football?

Those schools almost never play FBS schools and therefore are not on the national radar at all, it's the ones that do follow your requirements, play FBS schools, and are still lousy that damage the image a lot more. for example the last night's announcer saying Miami 'wasn't playing Charleston Southern any more'. CSU is full scholly, aren't they?

I seriously doubt it.

DFW HOYA
December 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
FCS schools boast stadium sizes from 70,000 down to 3,000 and average attendance figures from nearly 30,000 to less than 1,500 per game. In 2007, ’08 figures are not in yet, over 1/3 of FCS teams averaged less than 5,000 per game. Yes I know there is some disparity among FBS schools as well, but to not nearly the degree as is in the FCS. There needs to be some accountability as far as the commitment level a particular school has to the division. Stadium size, attendance and minimum scholarships awarded are the only ways to measure real commitment. Until those issues are resolved there will always be some resentment among the top schools in the division.

There were 118 I-A schools in 2008, 78 had over 5,000 attending per game, 29 below 5000. (Twelve of the 29 had stadiums less than 5,000.)

Syntax Error
December 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hard to grow it much more when capacity is maxed out in Chatty.Maxxed out? How's that? Name the sellouts.
It doesn't have to be in Vegas. That was just a suggestion as a fun destination for the game.The fun in Vegas is gambling and other vices, I guess. I don't find gambling fun so I disagree that Vegas is a fun destination. Isolating the champ game in a far away locale that the vast majority has to fly to would kill attendance.

#1 improvement would be seeding the entire playoff field.
#2 is ending playoff regionalization scheduling.

Past that it is all about advertising and hype every week, locally and nationally. I liked the billboards in Chatty for the champ game. I know other teams have them in their college town. TV and radio coverage has been increasing every year. I was able to watch every single playoff game this year and all the major ones during the regular season, online for free!

JDC325
December 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Make teams take their football teams as seriously as there basketball teams and require scholarships minimums. It destroys this divisions credibility having schools who have "DIV I" football teams in name only. Get serious or get out.

MplsBison
December 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Maxxed out? How's that? Name the sellouts.The fun in Vegas is gambling and other vices, I guess. I don't find gambling fun so I disagree that Vegas is a fun destination. Isolating the champ game in a far away locale that the vast majority has to fly to would kill attendance.

#1 improvement would be seeding the entire playoff field.
#2 is ending playoff regionalization scheduling.

Past that it is all about advertising and hype every week, locally and nationally. I liked the billboards in Chatty for the champ game. I know other teams have them in their college town. TV and radio coverage has been increasing every year. I was able to watch every single playoff game this year and all the major ones during the regular season, online for free!

Put it in Atlanta then. Or Memphis. I don't care, just get it out of small-town Chatty.

andy7171
December 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Put it in Atlanta then. Or Memphis. I don't care, just get it out of small-town Chatty.

You don't get it. The most supported FCS schools are the small towns. Big Cities couldn't care less about the FCS Championship game, when the NFL and BCS show is in town.

3,000 empty seats looks a lot better compared to 63,000. Especially when you know the story behind all the Montana fans stranded back home due to winter storms.

DFW HOYA
December 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Make teams take their football teams as seriously as there basketball teams and require scholarships minimums. It destroys this divisions credibility having schools who have "DIV I" football teams in name only. Get serious or get out.

And where do these schools go? And what about those schools who don't take their basketball very seriously, those that average less than 1,500 a game and that don't play at a "Div I" level? Where do you want to go?

I-AA was not created not for 63 grants, but 0 to 63. The I-AAA vote failed 20 years ago, and it's not coming back.

813Jag
December 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM
You don't get it. The most supported FCS schools are the small towns. Big Cities couldn't care less about the FCS Championship game, when the NFL and BCS show is in town.

3,000 empty seats looks a lot better compared to 63,000. Especially when you know the story behind all the Montana fans stranded back home due to winter storms.
I agree with this post. Most big cities don't care about FCS football.

coover
December 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Fight, Hornet, fight!

You only have one player?

MplsBison
December 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM

I don't care, the game should not be played at the home stadium of an FCS team period.

andy7171
December 30th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I don't care, the game should not be played at the home stadium of an FCS team period.

I don't care. Nice response. Your original point was moving it out of a small town, now its because of another FCS teams field. Which is it?

Maybe a city like Fargo could host, you know, it's more cosmopolitian and all. xrolleyesx

UAalum72
December 30th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Credibility with who? When the writers of 'The Longest Yard' needed to name a cupcake for an example of a tuneup, they didn't say Iona or Valparaiso, they said Appalachian State.

If you want 'credibility' with the general public or the media, the schools at the top of the subdivision will have to earn it. The schools at the bottom have no effect because they're not on the public's radar. You'll just have to get used to feeling dirty because low-equivalent schools are lumped into the same subdivision.

henfan
December 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM

You do realize that the lowest attended games in I-AA/FCS Championship history have been played at stadiums and in cities without I-AA/FCS teams?

jmufan999
December 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
sorry if i repeat anything, too many replies to read.

2. Move the championship game to Saturday afternoon. It would be a bit easier for fans to get there, and a better time for viewership. It also would be fairer to the team having to travel the fartherest.

probably not the best idea because that's when the bowls start, saturday afternoon. i don't want to have to compete with bowls, i don't care what bowl it is. we already get pretty sparse coverage, having our game at the same time as ANY other college football game is a bad idea. friday is working just fine.

GSU Eagle
December 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If some of the posters are to be believed next year will be the last year of the championship game on Friday after the semis the weekend before.

If the championship game is to be moved in 2010 to the day before the FBS championship game it will be on different days in different years.

What I would like to see is something that says conclusively that the NCAA has decided to move the FCS championship game to January starting in 2010. Is this a done deal or just some posters idea?

yosef1969
December 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
If some of the posters are to be believed next year will be the last year of the championship game on Friday after the semis the weekend before.

If the championship game is to be moved in 2010 to the day before the FBS championship game it will be on different days in different years.

What I would like to see is something that says conclusively that the NCAA has decided to move the FCS championship game to January starting in 2010. Is this a done deal or just some posters idea?

Yes, definitely moving to January on the eve of the BCS championship game in 2010.

GSU Eagle
December 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
So that means somewhere between 10-14 days from the semis to the championship game. That makes some sense to me. Maybe this can increase interest and maybe ticket sales for the game. It certainly allows more time to plan travel for the 2 teams going.

JohnStOnge
December 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but if nobody's said this yet...

Get rid of the committee deliberation process. Establish and/or choose a power rating system prior to the season that is to select at large participants. That way everybody agrees ahead of time that a certain system's going to be used and whoever the top 8 teams in the system are who aren't auto bids are in.

That's the way it's done in the Louisiana High School football playoffs and it works great. I personally think they could use a better power rating system but it's something everybody understands and agrees upon before the season starts. There is no need for a selection committee and there's no whining about missing out because everybody knows it was done according to a previously agreed upon objective approach.

I also think it'd be better if all of the teams in the tournament were seeded with 1 playing 16, 2 playing 15, and so on in the first round with the higher seed playing at home throughout. The same power rating system could be used to seed the teams.

I realize the full seeding process might not be practical because of finances. But there's no practical reason for not ditching the selection committee in favor of an agreed upon power rating approach.

appmaj
December 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM
So that means somewhere between 10-14 days from the semis to the championship game. That makes some sense to me. Maybe this can increase interest and maybe ticket sales for the game. It certainly allows more time to plan travel for the 2 teams going.

I agree, at first I was opposed to it but I think you will have more time to plan and maybe increase ticket sales.

MplsBison
December 31st, 2008, 10:44 AM
I don't care. Nice response. Your original point was moving it out of a small town, now its because of another FCS teams field. Which is it?

Maybe a city like Fargo could host, you know, it's more cosmopolitian and all. xrolleyesx

Fargo should not host because the Fargodome is home to NDSU, a FCS team.

What is so hard about putting the game in a stadium that isn't host to a FCS team?

andy7171
December 31st, 2008, 10:54 AM
Fargo should not host because the Fargodome is home to NDSU, a FCS team.

What is so hard about putting the game in a stadium that isn't host to a FCS team?

I sort of get the idea of not having an FCS host. But interest of a FCS Championship game would be harder to drum up in a nonFCS town. And FBS stadiums would be on the large side of an expected crowd.

Richmond is moving out, but that place is a dump.

Maybe a medium FBS like Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis. And BWI is right up the road. Army Navy plays that weekend so a home game wouldn't screw up plans. That stadium is beautiful, but 34K would be tough to fill with non condending school fans.

I would be a definate show. xnodx

griz8791
December 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
If the game was in Missoula, I would buy a ticket and drive over to watch even if it was two CAA teams playing.

I suspect NDSU fans would feel the same if it was in Fargo, and SDSU fans would be the same if it was in Brookings.

Not saying the game should actually move to any of these places, just that you have a marketing head start if you hold it at a place that already has a connection with FCS. On the other hand, I think it would be a really hard sell in Vegas or Minneapolis.

MplsBison
December 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
It doesn't have to be in a big stadium or in a place with no FCS team.

Just not a stadium with a FCS team.

How about Legion Stadium in Charlotte? I could get a direct flight from Mpls to Char no problem.

AppMan
January 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM
Credibility with who? When the writers of 'The Longest Yard' needed to name a cupcake for an example of a tuneup, they didn't say Iona or Valparaiso, they said Appalachian State.

If you want 'credibility' with the general public or the media, the schools at the top of the subdivision will have to earn it. The schools at the bottom have no effect because they're not on the public's radar. You'll just have to get used to feeling dirty because low-equivalent schools are lumped into the same subdivision.

As an FYI, a former ASU football player was on the crew of the Longest Yard and as a pick at him ASU's name was chosen.

AppMan
January 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM
It doesn't have to be in a big stadium or in a place with no FCS team.

Just not a stadium with a FCS team.

How about Legion Stadium in Charlotte? I could get a direct flight from Mpls to Char no problem.

I think you are mean Memorial Stadium in Charlotte. It is a cool old stadium, but is in bad need of renovation. Plus, the media here in Charlotte only cares about the ACC and to a lesser extent the SEC.

yosef1969
January 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I think you are mean Memorial Stadium in Charlotte. It is a cool old stadium, but is in bad need of renovation. Plus, the media here in Charlotte only cares about the ACC and to a lesser extent the SEC.

You know, I never thought about Charlotte and Memorial Stadium. The stadium does badly need rennovating but it has a 24K capacity and its a cool old venue for a football game, very intriguing.

I agree that Charlotte is primarily concerned with ACC, then SEC and far more interested in basketball than football. however with UNCC starting an FCS program, ASU's recent success, at least 7 or 8 FCS programs within a 3 hour drive, maybe Charlotte could actually be a good fit for the game.

Ronbo
January 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM
The more it's talked about the more it seems Chattanooga is a good spot. The weather isn't too bad. It is however expensive to fly in there though, the average spent by Griz fans for the trip this year was $1600 to $1800 if they flew. A few hardy souls drove the 2200 miles. Geeze, you can go to Europe for what it costs to make a trip from Montana to Chattanooga.xlolx

AppMan
January 2nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
You know, I never thought about Charlotte and Memorial Stadium. The stadium does badly need rennovating but it has a 24K capacity and its a cool old venue for a football game, very intriguing.

I agree that Charlotte is primarily concerned with ACC, then SEC and far more interested in basketball than football. however with UNCC starting an FCS program, ASU's recent success, at least 7 or 8 FCS programs within a 3 hour drive, maybe Charlotte could actually be a good fit for the game.

The administration has made it clear FCS is just a brief step in the process. They are building a FBS program and using USF as their model. They have sold a good number of PSL's for an on campus stadium.

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM

It's called "American Legion Stadium" at worldstadiums.com:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg

I would take this any day over Chatty.

uofmman1122
January 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg

I would take this any day over Chatty.Despite never being to the Championship game in Chatty, myself, I'm going to have to side with those who have been there, and all say it should stay, and is a wonderful place.

Most of the flack comes from people who have never been.

The gripe from Montana fans seems a little more valid, since it's difficult and expensive for our fans to get there, and since our team has actually made it there, but again, it's the most convenient place for most FCS teams.

I think it should stay in Chatty.

henfan
January 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
It's called "American Legion Stadium" at worldstadiums.com...

If you want anyone to take the Charlotte suggestion seriously on this board (let alone at the NCAA level), you'll probably need to do a better job of explaining how this would be any kind of improvement over Finley Stadium. From almost every angle, I'm just not seeing it.

Beyond all else, does the City of Charlotte have one iota of interest in hosting and submitting a bid? (I don't recall them every having placed a bid, so that's a likely indication and the real nonstarter.)

Assuming the city has any interest, would the Meinke Car Care Bowl and its sponsors in Charlotte support or, at least, not stand in the way of the FCS championship being played within a few days of its feature game?

Would ESPN support a move like this?

What investments would the city be willing to make to bring a very old, antiquated Memorial Stadium up to snuff, such as modern press facilities, an onsite fanfest location, etc.?

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
If you want anyone to take the Charlotte suggestion seriously on this board (let alone at the NCAA level), you'll probably need to do a better job of explaining how this would be any kind of improvement over Finley Stadium. From almost every angle, I'm just not seeing it.

Beyond all else, does the City of Charlotte have one iota of interest in hosting and submitting a bid? (I don't recall them every having placed a bid, so that's a likely indication and the real nonstarter.)

Assuming the city has any interest, would the Meinke Car Care Bowl and its sponsors in Charlotte support or, at least, not stand in the way of the FCS championship being played within a few days of its feature game?

Would ESPN support a move like this?

What investments would the city be willing to make to bring a very old, antiquated Memorial Stadium up to snuff, such as modern press facilities, an onsite fanfest location, etc.?

There are two main reasons for moving the game to Charlotte from Chatty:

1) ethical: no FCS team uses that stadium as their home stadium

2) travel: vastly easier to get cheaper, direct flights to Charlotte and many more hotel rooms, restaurants, bars, etc.

The bowls could care less what FCS does and would be powerless to stop us anyway. The city wouldn't care so long as they get their fee for using the stadium (assuming it's owned by the city, otherwise why would you even bring that up?).

Support from Charlotte residents? Irrelevent, FCS fans will be filling every seat.

ESPN? What do they care so long as it's on TV? Makes no difference to them. They'd probably support it though for cheaper travel.

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM

2) travel: vastly easier to get cheaper, direct flights to Charlotte and many more hotel rooms, restaurants, bars, etc.

The bowls could care less what FCS does and would be powerless to stop us anyway. The city wouldn't care so long as they get their fee for using the stadium (assuming it's owned by the city, otherwise why would you even bring that up?).

Support from Charlotte residents? Irrelevent, FCS fans will be filling every seat.

ESPN? What do they care so long as it's on TV? Makes no difference to them. They'd probably support it though for cheaper travel.

These are all relevant points. However, I think that using these points, you could make a blanket argument for any city with a decent sized airport that doesn't host an FCS team. But, you won't hear any qualms from me if they move to NC game... unless they move it to Montana (kidding).

henfan
January 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM

Ethical? It's a huge stretch to imply that ethics are part of the decision to play a game at a certain facility. The NCAA has no issue with this matter whatsoever and there's no indication that it would be on the table for future site considerations (especially given that the game has been in at a I-AA/FCS stadium most of the years it's been in existence.)

Air travel to the Chattanooga area is not necessarily difficult or expensive at all. In general, direct flights aren't as cheap compared with those to Charlotte; however, more and cheaper options exist to Atlanta and Nashville. Chattanooga's location and the ease of travel into the city have been cited as reasons for its allure.

You're clearly speculating that those responsible for hosting Charlotte's bowl and game sponsors wouldn't take issue with another FB event being hosted in the city within a week of their event. The City of Charlotte or a branch of its government would indeed be responsible for submitting a bid to the NCAA to host the FCS Championship. (BTW, the City does own Memorial Stadium.) The city has a financial stake in the existing bowl game and would also have to put money on the line for a potential FCS game... and, as I suggested, actually submit a financial bid to host the FCS Championship.

The quality of the facility matters greatly to the NCAA and, ultimiately, to ESPN. Part of the NCAA's evaluation for any championship facility includes consideration for press facilities. The press facilities at Charlotte's Memorial Stadium are absolutely horrible compared with Chattanooga. It's not even a question.

Hotels? Restaurants? Which and how many are in walking distance to Memorial Stadium? Have you been to the area around Finley Stadium to be able to make an intelligent comparison?

As for local support, that's proven to be extremely important to the financial success of the FCS game. Generally, the two competiting schools can't be relied upon to fill stadiums. Unless ASU or GSU is in the game, you will not come close to filling a 27K-seat stadium without tremendous local support; you just won't.

I understand that it's fun to speculate, to throw wet noodles at the wall, but let's at least try to do it with a modicum of common sense. Charlotte, in all likelihood, is not going to be an option. In fact, as of right now, the only cities who have shown any interest in hosting are Cedar Falls and Chattanooga. If the NCAA can somehow find other cities to bid then, great, we can start talking about them intelligently.

DFW HOYA
January 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Could Franklin Field in Philadelphia host it? Yes, it would be cold, but it's a great venue.

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Could Franklin Field in Philadelphia host it? Yes, it would be cold, but it's a great venue.

I would not support that option due to the fact that its the home stadium of an FCS team.

Lincoln would be a great venue though.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I would not support that option due to the fact that its the home stadium of an FCS team.

Duh, it's the home of an FCS team who belongs to a league that chooses not to participate in the playoffs! How is that a problem? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Lincoln would be a great venue though.

Umm, just a little too big for our needs right now. xrolleyesx

You have nothing to worry about though because Philly nor UPenn will be making a bid to host any time soon. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

MplsBison
January 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
The culture of waiting for a city to bid has got to change or we'll be stuck with Chatty.

We have to go out and get other cities/venues rather than waiting for them to come to us.

ur2k
January 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
The culture of waiting for a city to bid has got to change or we'll be stuck with Chatty.

We have to go out and get other cities/venues rather than waiting for them to come to us.

You seem to be one of the only ones who feel we are 'stuck' with Chatty. I was just there and thought it worked just fine and actually really enjoyed it. I felt like the locals embraced the event. Our hotel had post game pizza and refreshments - where the heck in a bigger city are you going to feel welcome like that?

You mention Charlotte b/c of its airport. I was under the impression that Charlotte is one of the most expensive airports in the country to fly into. At least with Chatty you have the option of flying into Chatty or Nashville or Atlanta and driving.

SideLine Shooter
January 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
You seem to be one of the only ones who feel we are 'stuck' with Chatty. I was just there and thought it worked just fine and actually really enjoyed it. I felt like the locals embraced the event. Our hotel had post game pizza and refreshments - where the heck in a bigger city are you going to feel welcome like that?

You mention Charlotte b/c of its airport. I was under the impression that Charlotte is one of the most expensive airports in the country to fly into. At least with Chatty you have the option of flying into Chatty or Nashville or Atlanta and driving.

People keep mentioning Charlotte. They don't want it. They complain when 40 to 50 thousand turn out for the Car Care Bowl. You don't think they would be happy if 15,000 (a stretch) turned out like this year.
If it were a GSU - ASU Championship Game it would still be empty in comparison. The folks in Chatty do a great job, but they were not real happy with the attendance this year.

WUTNDITWAA
January 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

Looks good from the air, but it is in need of much improvement if it were to host the FCS title game.

MplsBison
January 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM

If you're won over because the motel you stayed at had some pizza in the lobby, then I don't think I'm going to convince you.

For me the biggest thing is the pure ethics violation of not having the championship game at a neutral site.

MplsBison
January 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
People also seem to be ignoring the fact that the athletic director of UTC has come out and said that they aren't sure if they can keep supporting the game due to the date change.

ur2k
January 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
If you're won over because the motel you stayed at had some pizza in the lobby, then I don't think I'm going to convince you.

For me the biggest thing is the pure ethics violation of not having the championship game at a neutral site.

Yup - the pizza changed my entire outlook on the game. I wasn't pleased with the national championship or the game experience - I was just there for the free dominos xthumbsupx

That was an example of the welcome mat that is thrown out by the city for this game that seems to be the general consensus by most who have gone to the game.

We'll revisit the ethics of it being in a FCS stadium when UTC makes the game.

spdram
January 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Having only been to one game in Chatty I can only speak to that experience. The locals were happy to see us, they generally put out the welcome mat and tried to make the experience a good one.

I so agree having the game in a City that understands the quality played in FCS helps acceptance. Putting the game in a city like Atlanta/DC/Philly/ etc would mean the locals would not even know why you were there. I take that from going to Atlanta for NCAA Hoops.

If you're looking for a warmer venue you will have to go west or far south. Of course I don't know how much the move to early January is going to make weatherwise. Can anyone shed light on that question?

seattlespider
January 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
If you're looking for a warmer venue you will have to go west or far south. Of course I don't know how much the move to early January is going to make weatherwise. Can anyone shed light on that question?

Well, it certainly won't be any warmer than mid December. I'd favor a move out west, for reasons completely unrelated to my current location. :D

BEAR
January 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have just one suggestion...add about 20 more scholarships for each team that is scholarship based so the FCS has a shot at winning against the FBS more than 10% of the time. xthumbsupx

mizzoufan1
January 3rd, 2009, 11:03 PM

I disagree entirely...you should have a representative field and stadium for your championship.

After watching the Missouri HS Championships in the Edward Jones Dome I think that the event needs to be moved to a more High School type of stadium...

mizzoufan1
January 3rd, 2009, 11:08 PM

That will only lead to the rich getting richer...

MplsBison
January 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I disagree entirely...you should have a representative field and stadium for your championship.

After watching the Missouri HS Championships in the Edward Jones Dome I think that the event needs to be moved to a more High School type of stadium...

In other words, the stadium was too big.

That won't be a problem. Plenty of 30k sized stadiums without FCS teams in them.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a stadium that was a bit too big than have to live with the obvious ethical violation of having the game at a SoCon home stadium.

Saint3333
January 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ethical violation? It's not like UTC is playing in the game.

That's like saying the Panthers playing the SuperBowl in the Superdome in unethical because they've played there before during the season.

The national title game is going to be closer to one conference (the OVC in this case really) than another no matter where you put it.

blackcaesar3k5
January 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The FCS championship should be move to Los Angeles, CA..

henfan
January 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Agreed. To suggest ethics has anything to do with the placement of the game in Chattanooga or any other FCS town or at any FCS facility is to lower the level of discussion to the absurd.

To suggest the location of the championship game is the most significant issue facing FCS is to suggest the subdivision is in pretty good shape.

MplsBison
January 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM

That's like saying the Panthers playing the SuperBowl in the Superdome in unethical because they've played there before during the season.

The national title game is going to be closer to one conference (the OVC in this case really) than another no matter where you put it.

Not UTC, the SoCon.

The NCG is played in a SoCon stadium, which benefits SoCon teams unfairly.

Move it to a neutral site.

813Jag
January 5th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Not UTC, the SoCon.

How does that work? Do they get extra points on something? So in essence the Super Bowl is unfair because it's played at an NFL stadium. It's unfair to the AFC this year right?

Maverick
January 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
"To suggest ethics has anything to do with the placement of the game in Chattanooga or any other FCS town or at any FCS facility is to lower the level of discussion to the absurd."

How often has any "discussion" with MplsBison risen to anything above the level of the absurd? How about the "discussion" about field surfaces? How about the "discussion" about the HBCUs?

How about this current discussion? The game should be held in a town that has shown no interest in having the game. The NCAA should put resources into marketing the game to these towns that have already not show interest in the game. It is unethical for the game to be held in a SoCon stadium (but only if a SoCon team is playing).

I await the inaugural "MplsBison Bowl" the first NCG which will be an "event" held in a town that does not have an FCS team nor has shown interest in having the game on a date established by the NCAA and TV coverage that will be designed by FCS fans. xnodx xnodx xnodx

813Jag
January 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
"To suggest ethics has anything to do with the placement of the game in Chattanooga or any other FCS town or at any FCS facility is to lower the level of discussion to the absurd."

How often has any "discussion" with MplsBison risen to anything above the level of the absurd? How about the "discussion" about field surfaces? How about the "discussion" about the HBCUs?

How about this current discussion? The game should be held in a town that has shown no interest in having the game. The NCAA should put resources into marketing the game to these towns that have already not show interest in the game. It is unethical for the game to be held in a SoCon stadium (but only if a SoCon team is playing).

I await the inaugural "MplsBison Bowl" the first NCG which will be an "event" held in a town that does not have an FCS team nor has shown interest in having the game on a date established by the NCAA and TV coverage that will be designed by FCS fans. xnodx xnodx xnodx
No way that game will be played unless it's at a trackless stadium with field turf with no crown. Also both teams must wear Nike uniforms with out gray facemasks or no cheerleaders or other useless traditions. Do I have it all covered?xconfusedx xlolx

Maverick
January 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
813jag,
For now that seems to cover it, but I am sure that more "wisdom" on this matter will be forthcoming from the erstwhile BsBison!!xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

MplsBison
January 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
How does that work? Do they get extra points on something? So in essence the Super Bowl is unfair because it's played at an NFL stadium. It's unfair to the AFC this year right?

A SoCon home stadium is not a neutral site.

The NCG should be played at a neutral site.

We're not talking about the NFL, red herring.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
No way that game will be played unless it's at a trackless stadium with field turf with no crown. Also both teams must wear Nike uniforms with out gray facemasks or no cheerleaders or other useless traditions. Do I have it all covered?xconfusedx xlolx

xoutofrepx

henfan
January 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Again, neutral sites haven't proven not to work for I-AA, which is why the NCAA moved to have NC games at non-neutral site locations. On the scale of considerations for the NC game, NCAA & FCS leaders would likely rank neutral site location near the very bottom of their list... mainly because non-neutral sites have worked so well and neutral sites haven't.

If there ever becomes compelling financial and/or competitive reasons to move to the NC game to a neutral site, the NCAA will do it. It's a non-issue in the meantime. Don't know how to put it any more painly than that.

MplsBison
January 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Again, neutral sites haven't proven not to work for I-AA, which is why the NCAA moved to have NC games at non-neutral site locations. On the scale of considerations for the NC game, NCAA & FCS leaders would likely rank neutral site location near the very bottom of their list... mainly because non-neutral sites have worked so well and neutral sites haven't.

If there ever becomes compelling financial and/or competitive reasons to move to the NC game to a neutral site, the NCAA will do it. It's a non-issue in the meantime. Don't know how to put it any more painly than that.

How about not using double negatives, "neutral sites haven't proven not to work" ... what?

When did the FCS make the conscious decision to move away from a neutral site and what was the neutral site they moved away from?

henfan
January 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
How about not using double negatives, "neutral sites haven't proven not to work" ... what?

When did the FCS make the conscious decision to move away from a neutral site and what was the neutral site they moved away from?

My mistake on the typo. I intended to say "neutral sites have proven not to work..." Hope that makes it clearer for you.

The championship game was moved to a non-neutral site permanently in 1987 and has included Pocatello, Huntington (WV), Statesboro & Chattanooga. Before that time, Johnson Hagood Stadium in Charleston hosted two NC games.

Neutral sites over the years have included Memorial Stadium in Wichita Falls, Hughes Stadium in Sacramento, the Tacoma Dome and in Orlando, FL.

Again I ask, have you ever been to Chattanooga during championship game?

boonegoon
January 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM

How can you move the championship game to a non-neutral site? First, FBS stadiums are too big unless you look at Wake Forest size schools. This benefits schools like Wake and not the participating conferences/schools. If you can find a 30000 seat non FBS school stadium in a decent town that isn't cold as heck in January please post it. I have been to Chattanooga to 2 championship games and had fun. The stadium and area isn't very nice but the size is great and I would rather a town with a FCS team get the dough than ATL or any other city.

andy7171
January 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Again I ask, have you ever been to Chattanooga during championship game?

I'm going to have to bet no. But you have to hand it to ole MPLS, he's stuck around. Most of the NSDU nation abandoned the SS AGS mid October.

griz8791
January 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Not UTC, the SoCon.

How did it benefit the SoCon at all this year, much less unfairly?

jonmac
January 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM

We're not talking about the NFL, red herring.

Although I know we FCSers(nor the NCAA for that matter) recognize the BCS championship as a national championship, following your logic, the BCS championship should be moved from Miami since that stadium is home to a BCS team. I don't really think it makes a lot of difference since both teams are given the same number of tickets and the remainder are left to be fought over equally. I could, however, somewhat go along with your argument if the NC was played in an on campus facility of an FCS team. But in the case of Finley, the fact that it is not owned by UTC makes your argument a little flawed and empty.

Biff
January 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM
How did it benefit the SoCon at all this year, much less unfairly?

That's easy, look at the success of Chattanooga.

bostonspider
January 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I do wonder if in a few years, ODU / Norfolk might be a good spot to host the game. Let them get some time under their belt with their FCS team, but maybe 5-10 years in the future that could be a good spot. One could fly into Norfolk, Richmond, Williamsburg, or even the DC airports. There are tons of hotel rooms in nearby Va. Beach. Now the weather might not be so great, but it should be nice enough. Foreman Field looks like it will be pretty cool when it is renovated and seat somewhere over 20,000.

http://media.hamptonroads.com/media/content/pilotonline/2007/08/0816foremanfield500x325.jpg

http://media.hamptonroads.com/media/content/pilotonline/2007/09/0925formana500x250.jpg

Rekdiver
January 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm into warmer weather and no domes.....head to california or Florida

lizrdgizrd
January 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of having the game in Charlotte only because I'd have a short trip and a free place to stay. :D

McNeeserocket
January 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
The only improvement i can think of is to get rid of this damn 5 year transition period. Only 4 years to go.:(

NCAA will not change the rule because it gives an unfair advantage to the Div. II School who is moving to Div. I.

Why do I say this? Because the way the rules are now is that a student athlete has 5 years to play 4 years (hence the redshirt year where he does not play). So players who come in as a true freshman into Div.II have lower eligibility criteria (high school credits, Standardized entrance tests and/or grades). So player John Doe can go to Division II University but is not eligible to play at Division I University for one or more of the criteria explained above. John Doe reshirts his true freshman year and then in year two begins eligibility to play in his second year at Division II University and can play for the next 4 years.

If there was only a 4 year transition period than all the players who reshirted their Freshman year (or some other year in the 5 year period) could play the 5th year of a 4 year transition to Division I (even though their eligibility was based on lower entrance requirements for Division II).

Bottom line ...... All star Athlete from Greatest American High School who set every football record known to man didn't meet Division I requirements and has to sign with Division II or lower in order to play college football. That player could actually play in Division I (though he was not eligible when he enrolled) in his last year of eligibility if there are only 4 years for a Division II school to move to Division I.

The transition period must be at least 5 years to make sure that no player who came in under Division II requirements plays under Division I requirements.

griz8791
January 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I understand this is the rationale, but I don't understand why it couldn't be examined and verified on a case by case basis. If Division II school the University of Anystate can prove that at all relevant times all of its football players met or exceeded both Division II and Division I eligibility standards, why make them wait 5 years? It seems like the NCAA is making the players and fans suffer unnecessarily to avoid a purely speculative harm, and if the U of Anystate can PROVE that everyone on the roster complied with both sets of eligibility standards, the rule starts to look like a matter of bureaucratic and administrative convenience for the NCAA.

I have a hard time believing NDSU ever had a bunch of academic non-qualifiers on the roster. That isn't why people go there.

McNeeserocket
January 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I understand this is the rationale, but I don't understand why it couldn't be examined and verified on a case by case basis. If Division II school the University of Anystate can prove that at all relevant times all of its football players met or exceeded both Division II and Division I eligibility standards, why make them wait 5 years? It seems like the NCAA is making the players and fans suffer unnecessarily to avoid a purely speculative harm, and if the U of Anystate can PROVE that everyone on the roster complied with both sets of eligibility standards, the rule starts to look like a matter of bureaucratic and administrative convenience for the NCAA.

I have a hard time believing NDSU ever had a bunch of academic non-qualifiers on the roster. That isn't why people go there.

I believe they picked the 5 years transition period so they wouldn't have to spend an inordinate amount of time examining the rosters of the Division II teams wishing to make the transition to Division I to see if their players would or wound not meet Division I eligibililty standards. Much better to just be safe and make sure no ineligilible Division I players are playing after the transition.

ASU
January 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I believe they picked the 5 years transition period so they wouldn't have to spend an inordinate amount of time examining the rosters of the Division II teams wishing to make the transition to Division I to see if their players would or wound not meet Division I eligibililty standards. Much better to just be safe and make sure no ineligilible Division I players are playing after the transition.

Paris, France.....then London....Tokyo.....Madrid.....what the heck....the NCAA should fork out some $ for FCS......they made all sorts of promises of equal TV time back when the FCS was started to placate those schools going into FCS.
If not.....we drop out of the NCAA and form our own BCS type authority.

Henny
January 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Any way you slice it Chatty is the place to hold our championship game. The local community welcomes it as "their game" to host. Chatty WANTS the game first of all and the stadium and location is the best overall for the FCS.

I've been to Chatty in '03 and '07 and would go back if UD ever returns.

The only change would be an outside shot that Charleston SC makes a major push but too many hurdles to climb at this time.

Syntax Error
January 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I hope that we can all avoid the highjacking of this thread into another "GET OUT OF CHATTANOOGA" thread. As if one game changing locale would be of any significance to improving FCS as a whole. Fact is, it would not.

Besides:
- ending playoff regionalization
- ending ban on first round playoff conference matchups
- seed the entire playoff field and schedule accordingly
- publicize the playoff seeding standings the last four weeks of the season
- seperate FCS by amount of scholarships/equivs
- eliminate/minimize non-Division I opponent scheduling
- require playoff eligibility to be a part of the FCS

What might other suggestions be?