PDA

View Full Version : 4th Place CAA team wins NC!!!

andy7171
December 19th, 2008, 10:51 PM
...but but but they didn't even play New Hampshire, Northeastern or Rhode Island!!!!

WTG Richmond!

93henfan
December 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM
...but but but they didn't even play New Hampshire, Northeastern or Rhode Island!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
7171, UR was tied for 3rd in the CAA:
JMU 8-0
Nova 7-1
UR 6-2
UNH 6-2

blukeys
December 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CAA rules:
Everyone else:

Drools

93henfan
December 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
BDKJMU started a 3rd place thread after you Andy, so he has a lot riding on this.xlolx

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.caasports.com/standings/Standings.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&SPID=4660

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I know that is where they finished in the regular season, but aren't they currently the #1 team in the CAA? I mean considering they are #1 in the Nation I have to assume they would be #1 in their own conference at this point right?

93henfan
December 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I know that is where they finished in the regular season, but aren't they currently the #1 team in the CAA? I mean considering they are #1 in the Nation I have to assume they would be #1 in their own conference at this point right?

Playoffs don't figure in to CAA final standings.

UNHWildCats
December 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
7171, UR was tied for 3rd in the CAA:
JMU 8-0
Nova 7-1
UR 6-2
UNH 6-2
Ya, but had they gone through the tiebreakers, I think (not sure, obviosuly the last time I looked at this was before the final week of the reg season) UNH would have won the tiebreaker, so Richmond was the 4th place CAA team.

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ya, but had they gone through the tiebreakers, I think (not sure, obviosuly the last time I looked at this was before the final week of the reg season) UNH would have won the tiebreaker, so Richmond was the 4th place CAA team.

But had they, would have, doesn't matter. Tie breakers were not applied. UR OFFICIALLY tied for 3rd place in the CAA.

93henfan
December 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
JMU fans. Can't live with 'em... pass the beer nuts.xsmiley_wix

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM
and people wonder why everyone outside the CAA doesn't like them. xrolleyesx

GATA
December 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
When you put 10 teams from one conference in the playoffs...one of them is bound to win it eventually...

I kid, I kid...but seriously...now that UR has won the title. are they the worst National Championship team ever? Kinda like the Giants last year winning the superbowl. They got hot when it counted...in the playoffs.

blitz4
December 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I think the CAA is better than the Socon from top to bottom. However I think Appstate and Wofford could place in the top 1-3.

13thwarrior
December 19th, 2008, 11:59 PM
The title belongs with Richmond not the CAA IMO.

Old Cat Fan
December 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/jeez.jpg

xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx

URMite
December 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM

Outside the CAA??? xwhistlex JK xpeacex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/jeez.jpg

xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xrotatehx

Agreed. xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 20th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Outside the CAA??? xwhistlex JK xpeacex

I was really just trying to say, it's funny how it wasn't Richmond that beat us, it was the CAA. Most of this is just xdeadhorsex

Old Cat Fan
December 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Here you go UTAH griz fan this is how they do it in big sky country xnodx

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 20th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Here you go UTAH griz fan this is how they do it in big sky country xnodx

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

haha, that had to be stolen from office space or something, poor fax machine. :D

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Moot point, I know.....but technically, no. UR had a better record vs. common opponents (5-1 vs 4-2) by way of their victory over W&M.

uofmman1122
December 20th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Does it really matter which CAA team ended up ahead of any other CAA team?

Richmond won the NC, so wouldn't that make them not only the #1 team in the CAA, but the #1 team in FCS?

At the end of it all, Richmond is the one hoisting the trophy. xnodx

4th and What?
December 20th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Does it really matter which CAA team ended up ahead of any other CAA team?

Richmond won the NC, so wouldn't that make them not only the #1 team in the CAA, but the #1 team in FCS?

At the end of it all, Richmond is the one hoisting the trophy. xnodx

Does JMU have to give up the CAA champion status this year then? Damn.... xbawlingx

Was a great playoffs all around though, Richmond beat some amazing teams on the way to the NC. Congrats to them.

Drblankstare
December 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM
haha, that had to be stolen from office space or something, poor fax machine. :D

Thats riduculous they really needed those chairs
xlolx

JohnStOnge
December 20th, 2008, 06:50 AM
As a historical note: I have a painful memory of the third place team from the Gateway winning the national title in 1997. That's when Youngstown State topped McNeese by one point in the national title game. A very frustrating loss for many reasons, including the fact that McNeese beat the 2nd place team from the Gateway, Northern Iowa, in the regular season and the 1st place team, Western Illinois, in the quarterfinals.

JohnStOnge
December 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM

I don't know if I don't "like" them but I was hoping Northern Iowa was going to win in the semis. Too bad UNI's QB missed that wide open tall guy in the end zone so that the Panthers had to settle for a field goal on their last score. Failing to make that play probably made the difference between the not having any CAA teams in the championship game and the current situation. That guy was pretty tough to overthrow like that too. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he was the tallest wideout in the subdivision.

ChickenMan
December 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM

In sports.. it's always good to be hated... ;)

WVAPPmountaineer
December 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
When they hoist the 2008 National Championship banner no Richmond fan will give a rat's --- where they finished in the CAA ---

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I think the CAA is better than the Socon from top to bottom. However I think Appstate and Wofford could place in the top 1-3.

Huh? Both Appy and Richmond beat ASU. JM beat Woffy.

That means one of them could only finish 4th. And nova could beat both Appy and Woffy. Certainly, UHN would also have a shot at both of them.

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 08:03 AM
There's no "CAA" in "NCAA"........oh, wait xdohx

How about NCAA > CAA ?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 20th, 2008, 08:15 AM
A certain team with a 5-2 SoCon record (smaller win % than UR's CAA record this year) won it all last year, and completely ran over the two best CAA teams from last year. One of those two SoCon losses was played without Edwards,but I'm pretty sure they were still much closer to 100% than they were against Richmond this year.xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
December 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
RICHMOND.......STUNG FOUR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS......ON DUH WAY...TA BLINGVILLE...........xnodx.......BRAWK/OBAMA!!

EASTERN KENTUCKY
APPALACHIAN STATE
NORTHERN IOWA
MONTANA

UNHFan99
December 20th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Richmond is gonna have a bigger ring than the other fourth place team. They win.

JohnStOnge
December 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
A positive is that 7 of the past 10 national champs have been from Southern States. Of course it's all from east coast Southern States (Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia) so that's not optimum.

Kind of sad from my standpoint that the Southern Gulf Coast states, which produce more football talent, only have two I-AA/FCS championships in the history of the tournament and none for over 20 years now (1987). Ridiculous that even a talent-thin state like Kentucky has more I-AA/FCS national championships than Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida combined.

JohnStOnge
December 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
RICHMOND.......STUNG FOUR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS......ON DUH WAY...TA BLINGVILLE...........xnodx.......BRAWK/OBAMA!!

EASTERN KENTUCKY
APPALACHIAN STATE
NORTHERN IOWA
MONTANA

I think Western Kentucky did that in 2002. Additionally, I think the Hilltoppers knocked off the 1 (McNeese), 2 (Western Illinois), and 3 (Georgia Southern) seeds. The other conference champ they beat was Murray State. Maybe WIU was 3 and GSU was 2 but if I remember correctly they were the 2 and 3 seeds in some order.

93henfan
December 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
A positive is that 9 of the past 11 national champs have been from Colonial States.

Fixed it for ya. xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Like when Kareen Abdul-Jabbar was a Freshmen, Freshmen were not eliglible to play varisty in the NCAA back then. UCLA varsity was rated #1, and lost to the Freshmen team, no National Title for Kareen (Lew Alcindor then). Gotta win the playoffs to be the #1 team.

LehighFan11
December 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM
When you put 10 teams from one conference in the playoffs...one of them is bound to win it eventually...

I kid, I kid...but seriously...now that UR has won the title. are they the worst National Championship team ever? Kinda like the Giants last year winning the superbowl. They got hot when it counted...in the playoffs.
You nailed it.

GATA
December 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The CAA is a great football conference, but CAA fans are really taking the strength of their league out of context. The fact that the CAA has 12 teams is the main reason they get so many in the playoffs to begin with.

What's perplexing is when you look at a team like New Hampshire who went 9-2 in the CAA, yet didn't play Richmond OR James Madison. The two best teams that they played were William and Mary and Villanova and they lost both games. This doesn't mean that UNH isn't good, because they are VERY good, but it really changes the playoff perspective and the potential overall record of alot of teams if UNH has to play James Madison and Richmond...

There really is strength in numbers. I feel like if the CAA wants to keep this 12 team format they should play a conference title game to crown a champion.

I wish GSU could get a conference schedule where we didn't have to play App State or Wofford. I would love for the SOCON to eventually expand to 12 teams to I think, but I can see how it screws up the conference scheduling something fierce.

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Richmond is gonna have a bigger ring than the other fourth place team. They win.

Who's the other 4th place team? UR & UNH tield for 3rd....

ASUMountaineer
December 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Who's the other 4th place team? UR & UNH tield for 3rd....

We get it. xeekx

ChickenMan
December 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The CAA is a great football conference, but CAA fans are really taking the strength of their league out of context. The fact that the CAA has 12 teams is the main reason they get so many in the playoffs to begin with.

Once again quantity is confused with quality.

You could have combined the OV, MEAC, Patriot and Southland into one giant 30+ team league and still not had any of those teams advance beyond the first round of the playoffs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM

What's perplexing is when you look at a team like New Hampshire who went 9-2 in the CAA, yet didn't play Richmond OR James Madison. The two best teams that they played were William and Mary and Villanova and they lost both games. This doesn't mean that UNH isn't good, because they are VERY good, but it really changes the playoff perspective and the potential overall record of alot of teams if UNH has to play James Madison and Richmond...

There really is strength in numbers. I feel like if the CAA wants to keep this 12 team format they should play a conference title game to crown a champion.

I wish GSU could get a conference schedule where we didn't have to play App State or Wofford. I would love for the SOCON to eventually expand to 12 teams to I think, but I can see how it screws up the conference scheduling something fierce.

I think the main reason the CAA gets so many teams in the playoffs is because they perform well in OOC games, in their FBS games, in the playoffs, etc. And because there are so many strong teams in the conference that SOS is usually near the top within FCS.

One huge flaw in this argument about not playing everybody is the assumption that if the CAA was boiled down to say nine teams that UMass, UNH, Maine, Delaware, Richmond, JMU, W&M, Villanova would all be in this league. No doubt there wouldn't be five teams coming out of that league. At the same time, it would be stronger than any other FCS league. A 7-4 team might make the playoffs every year. But it isn't realistic to think the league, with the number of teams everybody outside the CAA would prefer, would provide all the match-ups you folks seek.

And you know what, if the twelve team CAA played a true round robin, then everybody would still be complaining. That's because outside a 12 game year, there wouldn't be any OOC game; therefore, you'd all be complaining they we don't play anybody outside to ascertain how good the teams are. Obviously, with guarantee games nobody in the CAA is going to opt for a full round robin schedule anyway.

The CAA North along with the perceived "weak" rotation is still a league schedule that while not at the top of FCS would probably still rank above a few of AQ leagues. Villanova made the playoffs, beat Richmond, only lost to JMU because of a hail Mary. W&M was right there at the end for a playoff bid. There is nothing weak about that rotation of the CAA South.

Why is it so difficult for so many on this forum to acknowledge that even without playing a full round robin that the CAA teams play formidable schedules? Didn't UNH winning at SIU and only losing by two at UNI prove they deserved to be in the playoffs? xoopsx Why hasn't that substantiated the relative strength of the CAA North and the South rotation of Nova, W&M and Towson?

BTW, why is New Hampshire even in your discussion when we weren't the last CAA team into the playoffs this year? xconfusedx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

henfan
December 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
...I feel like if the CAA wants to keep this 12 team format they should play a conference title game to crown a champion.

The CAA can and will keep the 12 team format and, just to stick a finger in your eye, will even expand it to 14 in coming years.:p

Regarding a conference championship game & round robin competition, the NCAA has this to say:

from D-I Manual
"31.3.4.1 (d) In championship subdivision football, football-playing conferences that subdivide into five or more teams are required to conduct a single round-robin competition within each division and develop a formula for determination of the conference champion, which must be approved by the Division I Football Championship Committee prior to the start of the season. A postseason championship game is not required."

There's strength in numbers when the competition is solid up and down the line.

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 10:32 PM
A certain team with a 5-2 SoCon record (smaller win % than UR's CAA record this year) won it all last year, and completely ran over the two best CAA teams from last year. One of those two SoCon losses was played without Edwards,but I'm pretty sure they were still much closer to 100% than they were against Richmond this year.xpeacex

xconfusedx

Destroyed the two best CAA teams? Wow, you don't know much about the CAA...or football in general. That statement is so off base it is sad. UD was not one of the best CAA teams. We weren't close.

JMU was probably the best CAA team last year and they beat ASU up and down the field but lost the game on a foolish play. JMU was also w/o their best RB. Sometimes the better team loses the game.

RIchmond was probably the next best team. But, they were w/o their two DEs (anyone question their value now?), their RB wasn't healthy, and they lost a starting O-lineman for the game against ASU.

UNH had a good team but lost by a hair aginst a very good UNI team at UNI. Stuff happens.

UD wasn't close to being the best team in the CAA...not in the regular season and certainly not by the time they got to the NC game. xnodx

That would be similar to saying Elon was one of the best SoCon teams this year. xrolleyesx

Often, match ups and staying healthy determine the NC.

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I think Western Kentucky did that in 2002. Additionally, I think the Hilltoppers knocked off the 1 (McNeese), 2 (Western Illinois), and 3 (Georgia Southern) seeds. The other conference champ they beat was Murray State. Maybe WIU was 3 and GSU was 2 but if I remember correctly they were the 2 and 3 seeds in some order.

In 2003, UD beat 4 conference champs. Both co-champs of the old MVAC, the SoCon champ, and the undefeated Patriot champ. xnodx

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Odd that people think Richmond got "hot" for the playoffs. They were very good all year and many who saw them play recognized that they were the best team out there.

RadMann
December 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM

I think you take the size of the conference out of conference. The fact that the CAA has a few more teams is not the important point. The important point is that the CAA has extremely good football and strong teams year in and year out, and a lot of them.

igo4uni
December 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think you take the size of the conference out of conference. The fact that the CAA has a few more teams is not the important point. The important point is that the CAA has extremely good football and strong teams year in and year out, and a lot of them.

yes.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM

You are a fool.

luflame15
December 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Congrats to Richmond!!!!!

ASU
December 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
The CAA is not a conference.....they are a gaggle of teams. Just well to be a bunch of independents.
A conference is not a conference if they do not even play all the teams in the conference.
Therefore, the SoCon is the best conference.

apaladin
December 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM

WTG Richmond!

....but does anyone in Richmond care?

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM
The CAA is not a conference.....they are a gaggle of teams. Just well to be a bunch of independents.
A conference is not a conference if they do not even play all the teams in the conference.
Therefore, the SoCon is the best conference.

OK, then according to your logic if the 12 team CAA isn't a conference the:
1. 12 team ACC isn't a conference
2. 12 team SEC isn't a conference
3. 11 team Big 10 isn't a conference
4. 12 team Big 12 isn't a conference
4. 12 team C-USA isn't a conference
5. 13 team MAC isn't a conference

Which would mean I-A only has 5 conferences, not 10. The Big East, Pac 10, Sun Belt, Mountain West, and WAC

spiderman87
December 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM
After reading the first 6 pages of this thread, it pains me to think that everyone is still doubting Richmond. ARE YOU SERIOUS? They knocked off 4 Conference champions in a row, and there is still questioning as to their legitimacy? ARE YOU KIDDING? ***** the talk about Montana not showing up or Richmond just turning it on during the playoffs- Richmond came to play at EVERY game this postseason, a well as their regular season opponents, and beat all of their post season opponents the HANDILY.
I am sick of everyone not giving Richmond any credit. I DONT GIVE A ***** WEATHER YOU LIKE THE CAAA OR NOT. Richmond played their asses off and everyone thinks that they GOT LUCKY. Thats BS, and the fact that all you posters feel as though that you have reason to continue to cr*p on tjis team is rediculous. Honestly...this team played their hearts out on Friday, as well as the past 4 months, and deserved the NC. It is ridiculous that folks can find some reasoning in them just getting lucky. Why wasn't your team in Chattanooga this weekend? Thats right.... YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. I think you should be concentrating on making ridiculous excuses for your own teams, rather than ****ting on the current National Champions.

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2008, 01:21 AM
After reading the first 6 pages of this thread, it pains me to think that everyone is still doubting Richmond. ARE YOU SERIOUS? They knocked off 4 Conference champions in a row, and there is still questioning as to their legitimacy? ARE YOU KIDDING? ***** the talk about Montana not showing up or Richmond just turning it on during the playoffs- Richmond came to play at EVERY game this postseason, a well as their regular season opponents, and beat all of their post season opponents the HANDILY.
I am sick of everyone not giving Richmond any credit. I DONT GIVE A ***** WEATHER YOU LIKE THE CAAA OR NOT. Richmond played their asses off and everyone thinks that they GOT LUCKY. Thats BS, and the fact that all you posters feel as though that you have reason to continue to cr*p on tjis team is rediculous. Honestly...this team played their hearts out on Friday, as well as the past 4 months, and deserved the NC. It is ridiculous that folks can find some reasoning in them just getting lucky. Why wasn't your team in Chattanooga this weekend? Thats right.... YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. I think you should be concentrating on making ridiculous excuses for your own teams, rather than ****ting on the current National Champions.Woah, buddy.

Settle down.

This is not a thread to rag on Richmond.

The only ragging, and rightfully so, is the ragging on other CAA teams' fans who act like the CAA won the national championship.

ChickenMan
December 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM
The only ragging, and rightfully so, is the ragging on other CAA teams' fans who act like the CAA won the national championship.

that's exectly the way many SoCon fans acted after ASU won their titles... xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
Huh? Both Appy and Richmond beat ASU. JM beat Woffy.

That means one of them could only finish 4th. And nova could beat both Appy and Woffy. Certainly, UHN would also have a shot at both of them.

He said they COULD finish 1-3, not necessarily both of them in the top 3 at once. Say what you want about App, they screwed up any argument they had by being killed by Richmond but Wofford went down to the wire with JMU just like Nova. I just don't see Wofford or App finishing 5 or 6th. When App plays it's best it is the best (we'll see that next year) and when Wofford has a decent defense we're very hard to beat (we'll have one next year:p )

Another thing-Wofford and App lost to the CAA champ by 3, with Wofford playing 60 minutes. I believe that margin is smaller than the teams you mentioned above. Sure a>b>c doesn't work in football, but you can't count them out like you just did.

YoUDeeMan
December 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Woah, buddy.

Settle down.

This is not a thread to rag on Richmond.

We understand. As a Montana fan, it is hard to have pride in the other teams in Big Fluffy Sky conference...they never can make it to the big game. xbawlingx

In the CAA however, we like our brothers and wish them well when they are playing someone else. We also celebrate their success. xthumbsupx

Well, except some JMU guys who rooted for the Griz. But JMU is the black sheep of the CAA family anyway. :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
We understand. As a Montana fan, it is hard to have pride in the other teams in Big Fluffy Sky conference...they never can make it to the big game. xbawlingx

In the CAA however, we like our brothers and wish them well when they are playing someone else. We also celebrate their success. xthumbsupx

Well, except some JMU guys who rooted for the Griz. But JMU is the black sheep of the CAA family anyway. :D

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM

Well, except some JMU guys who rooted for the Griz. But JMU is the black sheep of the CAA family anyway. :DWhatever makes you feel better. xlolx

Spider
December 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
The title belongs with Richmond not the CAA IMO.

you got that right......

mtgrizfankb
December 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Final Standings. Richmond BEST TEAM in the COUNTRY.
2nd GRIZ
3rd JMU
4th UNI

2 of those four were from west of MISS. i believe...."the west SUCKS"????? stop your CAA bull ****. you have a big full good conf. quit jerking it over your eastern pride.

BigApp
December 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
yes, congrats to Richmond! They've now proved to the rest of the Colonial Athletic Aggregation that you don't have to schedule Iona to squeak into the playoffs!!

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
yes, congrats to Richmond! They've now proved to the rest of the Colonial Athletic Aggregation that you don't have to schedule Iona to squeak into the playoffs!!

or even these SoCon OCC giants..

Faulkner
Mars Hill
West Georgia
Webber International
Shorter
Cumberland

xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM

Faulkner
Mars Hill
West Georgia
Webber International
Shorter
Cummberland

xrolleyesx

Wofford didn't play any of those (but we did play the powerhouses of the Big South)

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
JMU played North Carolina Central... but we hardly squeaked into the playoffs

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM

This comment is a head scratcher.

BigApp
December 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM

Faulkner
Mars Hill
West Georgia
Webber International
Shorter
Cumberland

xrolleyesx

remind me. Which SoCon playoff team played these teams??

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
You know it's a Monday after the season is over when people start debating the merits and strengths of playing games amongst teams like Iona, Charleston Southern, Presbyterian, and Jacksonville. xrolleyesx

UMass922
December 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
OK, then according to your logic if the 12 team CAA isn't a conference the:
1. 12 team ACC isn't a conference
2. 12 team SEC isn't a conference
3. 11 team Big 10 isn't a conference
4. 12 team Big 12 isn't a conference
4. 12 team C-USA isn't a conference
5. 13 team MAC isn't a conference

Which would mean I-A only has 5 conferences, not 10. The Big East, Pac 10, Sun Belt, Mountain West, and WAC

And don't forget about the NFL. According the same logic, the AFC and NFC aren't conferences, either.

ViennaSpider
December 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM

Imbecilic in the extreme.

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
As a historical note: I have a painful memory of the third place team from the Gateway winning the national title in 1997. That's when Youngstown State topped McNeese by one point in the national title game. A very frustrating loss for many reasons, including the fact that McNeese beat the 2nd place team from the Gateway, Northern Iowa, in the regular season and the 1st place team, Western Illinois, in the quarterfinals.

I was at that UNI/McNeese game....they were doing construction on the Dome so the game was played at a local high school stadium. Very odd. It was also very odd because UNI/Iowa/ISU all lost that weekend, which was rare back then.

In regard to YSU....hard to bet against Old Sweater Vest. Except recently.....

Woody Hayes
December 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
UNI beat the 4th place and 5th place team so we won the national championship?

ChickenMan
December 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
UNI beat the 4th place and 5th place team so we won the national championship?

Of course you did.. no one could possibly overcome your 'DOME' field advantage... :p

Mountain Panther
December 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Of course you did.. no one could possibly overcome your 'DOME' field advantage... :p

The Dome giveth....the Dome taketh away. xnonono2x