PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't this expected?

Reign of Terrier
December 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
In the preseason a lot of people had Richmond in the top 5. They lost a couple games and some people wrote them off. Now they win the NC and it still seems a little shocking. Should we be surprised?

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Not a surprise they made it, But I am surprised they won and by the margin of victory. I'll kill spiders with a passion this winter season so I can be civil on this board :D :D :D

Tribe4SF
December 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
No, we shouldn't be surprised. Many believed (myself included) that there were three teams in the CAA South that might win the title. Richmond rose up and became the best of those three when it counted in the playoffs. Beating ASU, UNI and Montana showed what kind of team the Spiders are.

ezgriz51
December 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM
That's a GOOD football team, and one classy coach.

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Defense, defense, defense is what wins championships and Richmond has plenty of defense. Congrats to the Spiders... xthumbsupx

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I posted in the game thread, that when I watched them go toe to toe with Virginia that they would be tough to beat in the FCS. Good solid football team that didn't turn the ball over multple times like other teams I know of xrolleyesx

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I had Richmond as my #1 team in the preseason and early week polls. They stumbled a bit in a few losses but they put it together when they had to. So no, this wasn't a shock that Richmond could win the national title.

93henfan
December 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I expected it. Richmond was a great team last year and this year.

Hoyadestroya85
December 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Well i guess Villanova's fans rushed the field at the end of the right game this year.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Well i guess Villanova's fans rushed the field at the end of the right game this year.

Brings up the obvious question of what does a crowd of 6 or 7 guys look like when they rush the field? :p (just teasing!!)

DTSpider
December 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
As much as I'm enjoying this...and I'm also excited about the future. Only 6 seniors on the team this year...we'll be back!

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
As much as I'm enjoying this...and I'm also excited about the future. Only 6 seniors on the team this year...we'll be back!

Take Montana's 2007 team. I used to say the same thing. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM

But a lot of key guys - Vaughn's gone, both defensive ends are gone, fullback's gone. The whole offense went through Vaughn and the defense is centered around Logan and Sidbury. Big shoes for the Spiders to fill next year.

Poly Pigskin
December 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I posted in the game thread, that when I watched them go toe to toe with Virginia that they would be tough to beat in the FCS. Good solid football team that didn't turn the ball over multple times like other teams I know of xrolleyesx

Whoa whoa whoa...what part of getting shut out by a 5 win team constitutes "going toe to toe"?!? There were plenty of reasons to think UR had a shot at the title, and that's probably the last game I would point to.

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...what part of getting shut out by a 5 win team constitutes "going toe to toe"?!? There were plenty of reasons to think UR had a shot at the title, and that's probably the last game I would point to.

It was 3-0 Cavs till a late game interception half way in the 4th qtr. At the time it was only the second game of the year and the Richmond Defense played thier heart out, Losing to a 5 or 7 win FBS team in a close game, shutout or not in a year when there was only two FCS wins over FBS teams is nothing to be ashamed of. I was on here defending your Cal Poly team in the same manner when someone posted that you guys giving Wisconsin all they wanted was no big deal cause at the time they only had 6 wins and was a weak big 10 team.

GrizRchattybound
December 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You guys are tough- very well likely deserving of the #1 spot to open the season in 2009!

GrizRchattybound
December 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Just an FYI- I went and checked.

I voted the Spiders #2 in my poll to start the 2008 season...I watched last years team, and knew your coaches history, this is no surprise.

The surprise was my team...voted #10 in my ags poll.

congrats!

Poly Pigskin
December 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
It was 3-0 Cavs till a late game interception half way in the 4th qtr. At the time it was only the second game of the year and the Richmond Defense played thier heart out, Losing to a 5 or 7 win FBS team in a close game, shutout or not in a year when there was only two FCS wins over FBS teams is nothing to be ashamed of. I was on here defending your Cal Poly team in the same manner when someone posted that you guys giving Wisconsin all they wanted was no big deal cause at the time they only had 6 wins and was a weak big 10 team.

You're right, I shouldn't have made a big deal about the number of wins UVA had since I was tooting our horn for beating 1 win SDSU. Still, getting shutout against a poor FBS team who was anything but a defensive juggernaut is unimpressive, and I think the losses against Villanova and JMU were much more telling of their talent level.

And checking my week 1 rankings (missed the preseason), I had UR #3 and UM #8, so no surprise here! ( just don't check my poll at the end of the regular season :o )

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM

That UVA team got blanked 31-0 by Duke (worse than JMU lost to Duke). Losing 16-0 to a 5-7 UVA team was/is nothing to write home about.

chattanoogamocs
December 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM

I just hope on Monday that Richmond is looking to replace their defensive coordinator. :)

ngineer
December 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM
In my preseason Poll I had Richmond #1 and Montana #12....That's the way they looked tonight. I totally discounted the loss to UVA. Close loss to an FBS school, though mediocre, is still not to be knocked. IMO you could have thrown a blanket over UR, JMU and VU.

D1scout
December 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=ngineer; IMO you could have thrown a blanket over UR, JMU and VU.[/QUOTE]

My exact feeling although I thought JMU and Nova had a slightly better chance of taking it all! Nevertheless, I am pleased that the Spiders are truly Division I National Champions.xcoolx

URMite
December 19th, 2008, 11:55 PM
But a lot of key guys - Vaughn's gone, both defensive ends are gone, fullback's gone. The whole offense went through Vaughn and the defense is centered around Logan and Sidbury. Big shoes for the Spiders to fill next year.

True but...The backups for Logan & Sidbury haven't appeared to be much of a drop off when they were in. The biggest question mark on defense will be the 2 deep at DE next year. On offense we lose Vaughn, Crone and both big TEs. We have 2 great RBs returning but both are about 5'10" 170, and the TEs in the system are smaller but good receivers. The OC will have his hands full adjusting the offense, but it won't be for a lack of talent.

My personal hope is we find a way to start both those RBs and they look like Westbrook & Cuff xthumbsupx xeekx Now that would be a backfield.

URMite
December 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
That UVA team got blanked 31-0 by Duke (worse than JMU lost to Duke). Losing 16-0 to a 5-7 UVA team was/is nothing to write home about.

True but UVA seemed like at least 3 different teams throughout the season. They still had the original QB against us, then later looked lost without him, until finding a running game for awhile.

Like someone mentioned it was 3-0 with 7 mins left because of our D. The new OC was still having a lot of trouble adjusting and the OLine looked out of sorts (probably Silvers injury that we thought was healed).

FWIW I still think the OC can do better. You can't argue with success, but his time management and often conservative and predictable playcalling may come back to bite us sometime next season. London seems to work more with the players and defensive strategy and is a little more hands off on the O.