PDA

View Full Version : UNI.. what could have been

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM
It's not over.. and I don't count the Griz out yet.. but what must the UNI fans be thinking right about now???

igo4uni
December 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
It's not over.. and I don't count the Griz out yet.. but what must the UNI fans be thinking right about now???

I'm thinking I'll have another beer.:D :D

proasu89
December 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I'm thinking I'll have another beer.:D :D

Good call, I'm with you.

igo4uni
December 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ok......serious reply now..........I'm assuming you're suggesting that UNI played Richmond much closer than the Griz are (to this point). I'm over the Richmond game...........they won it fair and square......unfair to compare UNI to Montana and what may have been.

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Ok......serious reply now..........I'm assuming you're suggesting that UNI played Richmond much closer than the Griz are (to this point). I'm over the Richmond game...........they won it fair and square......unfair to compare UNI to Montana and what may have been.

Completely agree. It is all about matchups and UNI matched up well against Richmond. Who knows what would have happened in Nooga had we been there and not Richmond. I certainly would have liked to find out though...

GreatAppSt
December 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Was thinking the same thing!xoutofrepx

Mountain Panther
December 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM

With all the talk of UM's offensive line....safe to say ours is just as good (if not better :o ).

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
No ours is better. I don't really think there is an if about it.

EmeryZach
December 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
UNI, that could have been yours. So close yet so far.

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry, But this thread is a hoax. Put UNI or Richmond in the bracket Montana had and see how they did then xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

SO FAR, and still so FAR away

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Wait beating a 3 time defending National Champion and you say they didn't go through the toughest part of the bracket? You are crazy. You came out on the top side of your bracket and lost to Richmond. I think they would have done fine no matter what side they were on.

Pantherpower
December 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking if it can't be us, I'm happy it's Richmond after learning more about Coach London. Puts things in perspective for me to learn that he had to give his daughter bone marrow.

As mentioned, they beat us fair and square and no amount of what ifs can change it. They're a damn fine team, and now they're National Champions. Congratulations, Richmond. You've EARNED it!!

Chi Panther
December 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
one day....maybe the pain will finally end....:o

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Wait beating a 3 time defending National Champion and you say they didn't go through the toughest part of the bracket? You are crazy. You came out on the top side of your bracket and lost to Richmond. I think they would have done fine no matter what side they were on.

Well let's see...Take Richmond's losses and see how many of those teams were in the top bracket. Elementary. You cannot diss on the Griz thinking that if Northern Iowa won they would beat the Griz. Transition property doesn't work in football. Take for instance us beating JMU, we should have beat Richmond. But didn't. Transition property fails.

Take this thread to the grave, because once UNI has some hardware to show for it's effort, they are still far away from being dominant.

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
no smack intended in above post. just a stupid stupid thread. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

UNH Fanboi
December 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking if it can't be us, I'm happy it's Richmond after learning more about Coach London. Puts things in perspective for me to learn that he had to give his daughter bone marrow.

As mentioned, they beat us fair and square and no amount of what ifs can change it. They're a damn fine team, and now they're National Champions. Congratulations, Richmond. You've EARNED it!!

London seems like a good guy, but the bone marrow thing is irrelevant. What father wouldn't give his daughter bone marrow? I know people who have donated bone marrow for strangers.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
All about matchups - Montana ended up having a good matchup against JMU (JMU lacked a defense) and that's how that game ended up. UNI matched up pretty well with Richmond (better able to neutralize Richmond's defensive line) and that's why that game was close. Not sure UNI had the defense they would need to keep Montana under wraps like Richmond did so no guarantee that UNI would've beaten the Griz. That's why they play the games on field and not on paper.

Chi Panther
December 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
no smack intended in above post. just a stupid stupid thread. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

c'mon buddy...the thread was started because UNI is the poster child choker....

Don't know if you watched the UNI vs. Richmond game....but we dominated those guys for all but 2 drives. Prevent defense is a b!^c#

Grizaholic17
December 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Don't know if you watched the UNI vs. Richmond game....but we dominated those guys for all but 2 drives. Prevent defense is a b!^c#

Watched the game right on, and after watching the griz game, was feeling pretty good about our chances.

I have no problem with Richmond winning, they kicked our butts out there today. Just a thread like this is not needed because it's all "what if" scenarios that cause smack and unnecessary discussion. Let Richmond live their time.

I would have much rather played UNI anyway.

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Completely agree. It is all about matchups and UNI matched up well against Richmond. Who knows what would have happened in Nooga had we been there and not Richmond. I certainly would have liked to find out though...

Where did I say we would have beaten the Griz? I don't recall ever saying that. I said our OL was better. Get off your high horse. You got beat tonight by the same team we did. Richmond wasn't in the top so we don't know what would have happened. I personally think they were playing much better football now than they were when they lost to JMU and Nova. I think any CAA fan would agree with me.

Good season Griz! You deserved to be where you were.

Chi Panther
December 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Watched the game right on, and after watching the griz game, was feeling pretty good about our chances.

I have no problem with Richmond winning, they kicked our butts out there today. Just a thread like this is not needed because it's all "what if" scenarios that cause smack and unnecessary discussion. Let Richmond live their time.

I would have much rather played UNI anyway.

you would have liked to play us cuz we're a choker....:D

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Huh? You guys were losing at the half. And Richmond's TD to make it 20-14 was at the start of the 4th quarter. UNI didn't play more of a prevent until much later in the 4th quarter.

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
We haven't started any of the threads people are giving UNI crap for. We just chime in because they involve our team. Chicken Man wanted responses from us and we gave them to him. I never saw one UNI fan say they thought we would have beat Montana had we been there.

Richmond deserved this championship, and by you saying they had an easy route you are basically saying they didn't deserve it.

Chi Panther
December 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Huh? You guys were losing at the half. And Richmond's TD to make it 20-14 was at the start of the 4th quarter. UNI didn't play more of a prevent until much later in the 4th quarter.

and another trick play to score...xrolleyesx

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
and another trick play to score...xrolleyesx

They should ban those types of plays, shouldn't they? Play straight-up football! :p

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
We haven't started any of the threads people are giving UNI crap for. We just chime in because they involve our team. Chicken Man wanted responses from us and we them to him. I never saw one UNI fan say they thought we would have beat Montana had we been there.

Richmond deserved this championship, and by you saying they had an easy route you are basically saying they didn't deserve it.

After seeing UNI/UR.. I thought that they were very similar teams.. both very good defensively.. with solid running games and decent passing attacks. We will never know.. but I think UNI would have matched pretty well with Montana.

JayJ79
December 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry, But this thread is a hoax. Put UNI or Richmond in the bracket Montana had and see how they did then xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

"we had a tougher bracket. waaaah waaaaah xbawlingx xbawlingx "
To heck with this determining it all on the field. let's let the computers decide it. :p

Unnecessary discussion? There isn't really a single thing discussed on this board that is "necessary". Hell, football itself isn't "necessary". But it's fun. And this is a football discussion board. So people are discussing football. wow, what a concept.

Richmond is the #1 FCS football team this year. That's all that is known for certain. #2 on down is all really just a matter of opinion and hypothesizing. And I, along with other Panther fans, are hypothesizing that UNI is #2, as they played the #1 team closer than any of their other playoff opponents. xcoolx

But of course, you are free to make your own hypothesis.

Pantherpower
December 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
London seems like a good guy, but the bone marrow thing is irrelevant. What father wouldn't give his daughter bone marrow? I know people who have donated bone marrow for strangers.

You misunderstood my post. My point is, the man and his family have been through a lot and if it can't be UNI then I'm happy for them. I'm a father of two wonderful kids and of course I'd give them bone marrow or trade my life for theirs, for that matter.

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM
All about matchups - Montana ended up having a good matchup against JMU (JMU lacked a defense) and that's how that game ended up. UNI matched up pretty well with Richmond (better able to neutralize Richmond's defensive line) and that's why that game was close. Not sure UNI had the defense they would need to keep Montana under wraps like Richmond did so no guarantee that UNI would've beaten the Griz. That's why they play the games on field and not on paper.

You can't say that JMU "lacked a defense". What an ignorant statement. JMU was #2 in the CAA (behind UR) in total defense (conference games only, because when comparing conference teams the best comparison is conference games only since teams play different OOC schedules).
1. UR 263.6
2. JMU 292.8
3. Nova 306.9

But if you want to look at ALL games, JMU was STILL #2:
1. UR 266.3
2. JMU 307.1
3. Nova 316.2

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confstat.htm?DB_OEM_ID=8500

So if JMU "lacked a defense, then so did 10 other teams in the CAA. The Montana loss was far more to do with 4 turnovers than a as you say "lack of defense".

Mountain Panther
December 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Take this thread to the grave, because once UNI has some hardware to show for it's effort, they are still far away from being dominant.

A little upset over the loss tonight?

Geez, sleep it off....tomorrow you will regret that.

And for the record a UD fan started this thread.

blukeys
December 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
We haven't started any of the threads people are giving UNI crap for. We just chime in because they involve our team. Chicken Man wanted responses from us and we gave them to him. I never saw one UNI fan say they thought we would have beat Montana had we been there.

I can't imagine an avowed Delaware fan such as Chickenman making a post to this board for the sole reason as to stir up rancor and discussion on a hypothetical championship matchup on 2 Western Teams. xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Spider
December 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM

nicely put, UNIFan.....

PhantomCAT
December 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM

xbabycryx

JayJ79
December 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
(conference games only, because when comparing conference teams the best comparison is conference games only since teams play different OOC schedules)

yeah well, in the CAA, teams play different conference schedules too.
You're not a REAL conference unless you play a round-robin schedule. :p

crunifan
December 20th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Seeing Richmond take care of Montana so easily makes that loss so much worse to me. We just pissed away a 13 point lead in under 15 minutes...xsmhx

Blue42
December 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
With all the talk of UM's offensive line....safe to say ours is just as good (if not better :o ).

Given Richmond got one sack on UNI and 7 on Montana, and we ran for over 100 yards on Richmond while Montana got 39, I'd say UNI's Oline is a heckuva lot better than Montana's.

Montana's tackles didn't have the mobility to handle those defensive ends. Ruffin and Robertson would have faired pretty well against those tackles as well.

uofmman1122
December 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Given Richmond got one sack on UNI and 7 on Montana, and we ran for over 100 yards on Richmond while Montana got 39, I'd say UNI's Oline is a heckuva lot better than Montana's.

Montana's tackles didn't have the mobility to handle those defensive ends. Ruffin and Robertson would have faired pretty well against those tackles as well.We also didn't really run at all.

Chase had only 12 carries. I think if Montana would have just sucked it up and ran the bal down their throats, it might have been closer, but shoulda, coulda, woudla.

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
UNI was the toughest matchup for the Spiders, and it's impossible to predict what would have happened in a UM/UNI, UR/JMU or UNI/JMU final.

igo4uni
December 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM
UNI was the toughest matchup for the Spiders, and it's impossible to predict what would have happened in a UM/UNI, UR/JMU or UNI/JMU final.

I agree. So hard to compare teams.xreadx xreadx

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Again, where is that whacko that said Weber would have beaten all of the CAA teams?

Whoops!

Damn, I'm going to have to find that on Monday (flying tomorrow) and put it right next to Bruce's article. xnodx xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
We also didn't really run at all.

Oh, you ran alright. Your QB spent a great deal of time running for his life. xlolx

xpeacex

PS - it is about time that I announce that I have had a few beers. It is also about time that I announce that I have not had a lot to eat due to the lack of delivery in this area. Convincing the lady at the front dest to open up the kitchen so that I could get 3 small muffins is simply not enough to counteract the impact of several beers on an empty (virtually emptyxsmiley_wix ) stomach and and head full of CAA pride.

Cleets
December 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

Again, where is that whacko that said Weber would have beaten all of the CAA teams?

Whoops!

Damn, I'm going to have to find that on Monday (flying tomorrow) and put it right next to Bruce's article. xnodx xpeacex

Why are you being like this all over the forum..?
when it's obvious Weber would crush Delaware xlolx

Delaware is just about the worst team in a very good conference - I don't get your glee.. xeyebrowx

(Oops edit) I see you above post (my bad...) no worries - as you were Good sir

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM

Delaware is just about the worst team in a very good conference - I don't get your glee.. xeyebrowx

Man, can't I get some love from a brother* w/o an edit? :D

*Brother in the sense of a fellow poster who posts after drinking. xnodx

Yup, I've been a bit over the top, but most of it has been in fun - yet completely fact based. xlolx

See what happens when I spend time away from my wife? Late nights and beer...while eating a few small muffins. xnonox

:D xlolx

OK, got an early flight tomorrow...uh...today. Time to go.

xpeacex

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM

No, UD wasn't THAT bad. They were still better than Towson, Hofstra & URI. They beat Hofstra & Towson, DNP URI.

Cleets
December 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Man, can't I get some love from a brother* w/o an edit? :D

*Brother in the sense of a fellow poster who posts after drinking. xnodx

Yup, I've been a bit over the top, but most of it has been in fun - yet completely fact based. xlolx

See what happens when I spend time away from my wife? Late nights and beer...while eating a few small muffins. xnonox

:D xlolx

OK, got an early flight tomorrow...uh...today. Time to go.

xpeacex

No problem at all... I got it after I saw your confession xlolx
I would guess I have over 5,000 drunken posts... (that's tough duty man)

xlolx You'll sleep like a baby - sweet dreams Cluck xbowx