PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Quarterbacks

CSN-info
December 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
College Sporting News

The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We hope you enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

--------------------------

The last list will be released later today, ranking the 30 championship games. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
December 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Gannon. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Erik Meyer! xthumbsupx

I actually met John Friesz at a Spokane Shock game during their inaugural season... he was introduced before the game and did the coinflop.

Hoyadestroya85
December 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Phil Simms.. haha yes. I still hate these lists.. They should be based on collegiate achievement not NFL achievement.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Phil Simms.. haha yes. I still hate these lists.. They should be based on collegiate achievement not NFL achievement.

They are. Otherwise Joe Flacco would be way ahead of Erik Meyer. xrulesx

Go...gate
December 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Agreed. Hard to believe Scott Brunner and Jeff Komlo (Delaware), Frank Baur (Lafayette), Jeff Wiley (Holy Cross), Doug Butler, Jason Garrett (Princeton), Jay Fielder (Dartmouth), Steve Calabria, Ryan Vena (Colgate), John Witkowski (Columbia) and Phil Stambaugh and Marty Horn (Lehigh) not given even a whiff of recognition.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Agreed. Hard to believe Scott Brunner and Jeff Komlo (Delaware)...

Delaware was D II when Brunner and Komlo played.

Go...gate
December 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Delaware was D II when Brunner and Komlo played.

Right you are; another one of my senior moments. Komlo and Brunner were both damned good - and Brunner had a season for the ages in '79.

introvertedGSUfan
December 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Great to see both Tracy Ham and Jayson "Smoke" Foster on that list.

Oh, it's also awesome to see Adrian Peterson listed as the #1 FCS Running back from '78-'08. :)

Mountain Panther
December 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Way to go Warner!

You're probably asking yourself - what the heck are the two guys doing who started AHEAD of Warner before he was a senior???

Well they're not in the NFL, I know that.

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well of course Kurt Warner tops the list!!

Well the starter the entire time was Jay Johnson and he never made it in the NFL that is for sure. I have no idea who the second stringer was.

I do notice they made no mention of Warner's days leading the Iowa Barnstormers to the Arena Bowl multiple times.

And it says Last College 1996, but I am pretty sure his last season at UNI was 1993.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I've said it before and this lends more credence to it - The 2005 playoff bracket may have (from top-to-bottom) been the best one ever. The QB's in that bracket were Jayson Foster, Richie Williams, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin (NFL draftee), Eric Sanders ('07 payton finalist), Eric Meyer, and Barrick Nealy.

813Jag
December 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I support the SWAC but Tavares Jackson at 18, I know there have been QBs in the SWAC that have put up equal or better numbers.

Mountain Panther
December 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I've said it before and this lends more credence to it - The 2005 playoff bracket may have (from top-to-bottom) been the best one ever. The QB's in that bracket were Jayson Foster, Richie Williams, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin (NFL draftee), Eric Sanders ('07 payton finalist), Eric Meyer, and Barrick Nealy.

Did not think about that - it's certainly impressive.

UNI faced FOUR of the QBs you mentioned that year. Meyer was unreal. So was Santos in the 2007 playoff game.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I've said it before and this lends more credence to it - The 2005 playoff bracket may have (from top-to-bottom) been the best one ever. The QB's in that bracket were Jayson Foster, Richie Williams, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin (NFL draftee), Eric Sanders ('07 payton finalist), Erik Meyer (2005 Payton Winner), and Barrick Nealy.

xthumbsupx

UNHFan99
December 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
i am alittle suprised Frank Baur (Lafayette) and Bruce Eugene (Grambling) didnt make it. I do think the list is pretty good and im glad Ricky was included where he was.

813Jag
December 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
i am alittle suprised Frank Baur (Lafayette) and Bruce Eugene (Grambling) didnt make it. I do think the list is pretty good and im glad Ricky was included where he was.
Eugene should have made it over T. Jackson. Eugene had 13,532 yards and 140 TDs. He threw almost as many TDs in one year as Jackson did in his career.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
How did Gordie Lockbaum fail to make a list? I know he played multiple positions which makes it tough but he was an unbelievable talent.

GATA
December 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM

That's a hell of a list. I don't think I ever realized that.

Minuteman87
December 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
How did Gordie Lockbaum fail to make a list? I know he played multiple positions which makes it tough but he was an unbelievable talent.

I agree. The guy was 5th in the Heisman voting in 1986 for criminy sakes! I think he played mostly WR and DB.

Only 1 UMass guy, but lots of former/current Patriots.

A great list and fun read.

Dallas Demon
December 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
A major miss, no Bobby Hebert from Northwestern State. USFL MVP, long-time Saints and Falcons QB, not to mention the records he set while playing for the Demons.

Shellin
December 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I've said it before and this lends more credence to it - The 2005 playoff bracket may have (from top-to-bottom) been the best one ever. The QB's in that bracket were Jayson Foster, Richie Williams, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin (NFL draftee), Eric Sanders ('07 payton finalist), Erik Meyer, and Barrick Nealy.

Also Bergquist was our QB in 2005 as well (although comparing 2005 Bergquist to those guys in 2005 is like apples to oranges he is still a QB that eventually led his team to the championship game.)

Brad82
December 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Tom Erhardt-Rhody,check his stats out in 2 years.

UNH 40
December 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I agree. No way should there be 11 players in front of Santos. His numbers are far better than everyones with the exception of McNair.

psc2445
December 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Those list are awful. It like a name recognition list, with truly great college QB's sprinkled in

CID1990
December 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM

I agree 100%. This list is ridiculous.

90% of the guys on this list were based on their performance after going to the NFL. Nobody knew who Tony Romo was until he went to the pros.

Brad82
December 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Liam Coen-UMASS
Marty Horn -Lehigh
Bobby Lamb-Furman
Kelly Bradley-MSU

Played against Gannon,Horn,Bauer,Lamb,Bradley,Bleir-Richmond,Jean-UNH,Muldoon-HC
played with Ehrhardt

All had exceptional college careers.
Schedule tough as now.

Appstate29
December 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
agreed about the lists, how can Kurt Warner be #1 when he only played one season? Chap Pennington and Daunte Culpepper did the majority of their work in FBS. Just wish they did actual collegiate achievement in these lists and not add in professional.

Chi Panther
December 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM

90% of the guys on this list were based on their performance after going to the NFL. Nobody knew who Tony Romo was until he went to the pros.

IF you would have played EIU or watched them play....you would know Romo would make it.

GATA
December 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
IF you would have played EIU or watched them play....you would know Romo would make it.

Not to mention the fact that Tony Romo won a Walter Payton award...he could have made the top 30 list just based off of that...

McNeese75
December 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM

OH you mean Payton Award winner Romo?

Big Dawg
December 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
How did Casey Printers from FAMU make it over Pat Bonner, Jajuan Seider, and Oteman Sampson of FAMU...that's is some BULL

Pat Bonner led FAMU to our first playoffs win since 1978 and an 11-2 record and threw for 4,000 yards and almost 40 TD's...In ONE season

Jajuan Seider led FAMU to the Semifinals in 1999 and led us to a 10-4 season

Oteman Sampson was a beast in 1996 and 1997. He almost led FAMU to a 1st round upset over Troy State in 1996(29-25) Georgia Southern in 1997 (52-38)

Casey Printers got hurt halfway through the season and did nothing noteworthy the rest of the way...he was good when he was healthy though.

DetroitFlyer
December 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Josh Johnson baby! Good to see a top 30 QB all time in FCS come from that so called "glorified Division III" conference known as the PFL.... Take that all you FCS snobs!

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Ya seriously the guy finished 3rd in the Heisman trophy balloting and didnt even make one of the lists. Suprising that Phil Stanbaugh or Frank Baur werent on this list either. xnonono2x

TCisMYhero
December 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hey Kurt.

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Your all nuts I kid!! But not really.. 153 touch downs?? 25 against 1-A ? First ever game beat #1 Delaware? Then Beat Rutgers scorging 5 TD's after Rut beat #5 Mich State? The rest is history!! Ricky Santos its in a league of Gordie lokbaum,Doug Fultie, and Archie griff.. I said it!! One of the absoluste greats of college football FBS or FCS he has proved it!!

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Someone dis prove this please!!! Sorry I am responding to make this anew thread again.. Please please some show me a college footbal play with over 150 TD's Please!!! Just simply 1 of the greatest collage ball players of al time!! end of story! K going to bed... lol

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Agreed. Hard to believe Scott Brunner and Jeff Komlo (Delaware), Frank Baur (Lafayette), Jeff Wiley (Holy Cross), Doug Butler, Jason Garrett (Princeton), Jay Fielder (Dartmouth), Steve Calabria, Ryan Vena (Colgate), John Witkowski (Columbia) and Phil Stambaugh and Marty Horn (Lehigh) not given even a whiff of recognition.

Wow you know your ball!! Jeff Wiley (Holy Cross),

He if we can all take out our text books remember he finished 7th in the Heismen Trophy Oh wait?? I was talking 85 oh yeah 6th in 86

I was blessed to go to every HC home game from 84 to 92 I remember 25K was the norm on a saturday HC's golden years wow!! Even ESPN knew it.. ESPN in those days had the IVY Game of the week... and if any of you remember.. it was whatever Ivy team was playing HC from 86 to 91 HC made it to National coverage many times. I remember the HC Princeton Game at HC had 26000 when it was on TV. Meaning 26000 people in the Worcester area went to the game when it was on ESPN . dont get me started on why it all changed!!! Not the no scolarships crap as some say!! It was an absolute smack in the face when HC wasnt allowed to play in post season in these power house years!! HC would have walked all over the country with these teams. Duffner figured it out and went to Maryland and I have sady watched a power house g o to ****. Kills me to see7-8K at an HC game... Listening to our Father saying We Are Not A football School....still rings in my ears today. Thus led too attendance that is now -15 to20K less yeas folks!!! in those years 25K on the high end no less then 17K on the low and if anyone ****s about this you slept through those years.

uofmman1122
December 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Your all nuts I kid!! But not really.. 153 touch downs?? 25 against 1-A ? First ever game beat #1 Delaware? Then Beat Rutgers scorging 5 TD's after Rut beat #5 Mich State? The rest is history!! Ricky Santos its in a league of Gordie lokbaum,Doug Fultie, and Archie griff.. I said it!! One of the absoluste greats of college football FBS or FCS he has proved it!!According to the NCAA, Santos had 123 touchdown passes.

Cleets
December 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Where the hell is Ryan Fitzpatrick..!!! xeyebrowx

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I agree. No way should there be 11 players in front of Santos. His numbers are far better than everyones with the exception of McNair.

Saw both Gannon and Santos play - Gannon was in a different world. xnodx

Appguy
December 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
This is all about who's hot lately, if they did it before the pro season when Warner was a backup he would be like 5th.

does this list leave out active players?
if not, are we forgetting someone near the top with 109 TDs and almost 11,000 yards. (I know, I know these lists are all about pro achievements)

Go...gate
December 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Wow you know your ball!! Jeff Wiley (Holy Cross),

He if we can all take out our text books remember he finished 7th in the Heismen Trophy Oh wait?? I was talking 85 oh yeah 6th in 86

I was blessed to go to every HC home game from 84 to 92 I remember 25K was the norm on a saturday HC's golden years wow!! Even ESPN knew it.. ESPN in those days had the IVY Game of the week... and if any of you remember.. it was whatever Ivy team was playing HC from 86 to 91 HC made it to National coverage many times. I remember the HC Princeton Game at HC had 26000 when it was on TV. Meaning 26000 people in the Worcester area went to the game when it was on ESPN . dont get me started on why it all changed!!! Not the no scolarships crap as some say!! It was an absolute smack in the face when HC wasnt allowed to play in post season in these power house years!! HC would have walked all over the country with these teams. Duffner figured it out and went to Maryland and I have sady watched a power house g o to ****. Kills me to see7-8K at an HC game... Listening to our Father saying We Are Not A football School....still rings in my ears today. Thus led too attendance that is now -15 to20K less yeas folks!!! in those years 25K on the high end no less then 17K on the low and if anyone ****s about this you slept through those years.

I was at the game in September 1989. 46-0, Holy Cross beat a very good Princeton whose only other loss was by 14-7 to Yale (PU also tied W&M 31-31) in a year when Princeton and Yale were co-Ivy Champions. Game was ESPN Ivy Game of the Week.

umassfan
December 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
There is only one issue I have... Marcel Shipp. How the hell is he not in the top 30 RB of FCS?

He only ran for 6250 yards 1117 receiving and 63 total TDs in 4 seasons.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
There is only one issue I have... Marcel Shipp. How the hell is he not in the top 30 RB of FCS?

He only ran for 6250 yards 1117 receiving and 63 total TDs in 4 seasons.

The RB list was a mess - Omar was left off it too. At least 10-15 questionable guys on that list.

UNHFan
December 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM
According to the NCAA, Santos had 123 touchdown passes.

And you call me the retard all the time! lol So if a QB runs the ball into the endzone it doesnt count?... Look at his rushing TD's

uofmman1122
December 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
And you call me the retard all the time! lol So if a QB runs the ball into the endzone it doesnt count?... Look at his rushing TD'sOh, I see. That makes more sense.

But when did I ever call you a retard?

I might have said you type like a dyslexic carrot, but I don't remember calling you a retard.

I-AA Fan
December 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
This is all about who's hot lately, if they did it before the pro season when Warner was a backup he would be like 5th.

if not, are we forgetting someone near the top with 109 TDs and almost 11,000 yards. (I know, I know these lists are all about pro achievements)

If Edwards is drafted, it will not be as a QB. Skill and brains are not there to play outside of the system he is in now.

UNHFan
December 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Oh, I see. That makes more sense.

But when did I ever call you a retard?

I might have said you type like a dyslexic carrot, but I don't remember calling you a retard.

Lol yes I stand corrected thats what you called me!

srgrizizen
December 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Any list w/o Dan Carpenter as a kicker is beyond stupid.

Tim Hauck should probably be among the DBs as well

CatMom07
December 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I've said it before and this lends more credence to it - The 2005 playoff bracket may have (from top-to-bottom) been the best one ever. The QB's in that bracket were Jayson Foster, Richie Williams, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin (NFL draftee), Eric Sanders ('07 payton finalist), Eric Meyer, and Barrick Nealy.(Payton Nominee, CFL Stampeders)

We played against Foster (cringing), and Sanders and we had Nealy... not bad.

Syntax Error
December 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
if not, are we forgetting someone near the top with 109 TDs and almost 11,000 yards. (I know, I know these lists are all about pro achievements)The lists were done this past summer, and it is a sample mix of pro and FCS achievements as was stated. I know, I know, people don't read the article first ...

furpal87
December 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I really think that's what makes it a horrible system for ranking. It should be only based on COLLEGE results, because some schools just haven't got a lot of players in, or maybe becuase this is a college website!!! If you want to do something on the bets 30 in the pros, fine, just college, fine, combining th two makes it a terrible mess. There were no FCS QB"S better than Ham and Edwards if you base it on production and winning. I find it hard to believe on all of the list there is a total of ONE Furman player (Louis Ivory, barely at #30 on RB's), I could name about five more who should be on any list (both QB's mentioned (Lamb and Martin), Stanford Jennings (11 yrs in pros, KO return for TD in Super Bowl, Blankenship, GSU knows about him, Clay Hendrix on OL, Chas Fox great wideout just to name a few).