PDA

View Full Version : UTSA approved for Football

chrisattsu
December 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
http://www.utsa.edu/today/images/helmet.jpg

The University of Texas System Board of Regents approved a plan for UT-San Antonio.

The plan calls for UTSA to develop an $84 million competitive athletic complex over the next several years and add an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS / formerly Division I-AA) football program with the intent to advance the athletics department’s existing 16 intercollegiate sports programs plus football to an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS / formerly Division I-A) conference.

http://utsa.edu/today/2008/12/football.cfm

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Congratulations.

(OK, UTA, you're on the clock...)

Tod
December 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Is it just me, or are football helmets slowly evolving into Darth Vader masks?

But, congrats to UTSA!

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Congratulations.

(OK, UTA, you're on the clock...)

UT-Arlington, you mean? They don't like being referred to as UTA. xsmhx

This will be interesting. If UTSA comes out and makes it pretty clear that they will go FBS pretty quickly out of the shoot, the SLC has no reason to let them even join the conference for two years or what not for football. We should not be a 'stepping stone' for someone who will not have a somewhat extended stay.

El Gato
December 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM

This will be interesting. If UTSA comes out and makes it pretty clear that they will go FBS pretty quickly out of the shoot, the SLC has no reason to let them even join the conference for two years or what not for football. We should not be a 'stepping stone' for someone who will not have a somewhat extended stay.

Thought about that. Why would the SLC even consider them if they'll be gone just as quickly as they appeared? Along these lines, they have mentioned in their press releases that they plan on playing a full SLC slate by 2012. However, has the SLC approved of this move yet, considering they will start recruiting next year?

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Thought about that. Why would the SLC even consider them if they'll be gone just as quickly as they appeared? Along these lines, they have mentioned in their press releases that they plan on playing a full SLC slate by 2012. However, has the SLC approved of this move yet, considering they will start recruiting next year?

Very true-- I highly doubt the SLC would let a team in when their intentions are clearly to move to FBS in 2-3 years.

MplsBison
December 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Does this do anything to Texas State plans?

Both schools have huge enrollments (TxSt being the flagship of it's university system).

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM

"They" don't?

Since when?

I am a graduate of UTA and all it is ever referred to by the students and community is UTA. And before you say they don't like it because it creates confusion with UT Austin, how many people have you heard call UT-Austin, UTA?

For that matter how often do you hear it called UT Austin unless you are referring to it and another UT campus in the same system? It is UT, and then the rest of the UT(insert your letter or city here) campuses.

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Does this do anything to Texas State plans?

Both schools have huge enrollments (TxSt being the flagship of it's university system).

Are you just baiting TT with that statement?

He will be livid and have about a two page discourse on why it is not the flagship, and how much better the other schools in the system are. He will also make sure that the term "San Marcos" is attached to the reference, because that is the way it was named.

You really shouldn't pull his chain on this one; this is his windmill that he is eternally damned to joust.

McTailGator
December 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Indeed,

It is NOT in the best interest of the conference to let them in in football.

I do not have a problem with them being included in the scheduling rotation, which will solve our last game of the year dilemma for a couple of years.

But IMO, the game should not be counted as a conference game if they admit they want to move OVER to FBS.

McTailGator
December 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM

The SLC has not approved it and in fact the Commish has expressed his personal reservations about including them as a conference win or loss.

I personnaly have no problem with letting them be a part of the scheduling rotation. But why should we reward them and make them feel apart of something they clearly do not respect?

McTailGator
December 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM
(TxSt being the flagship of it's university system).

Oh boy, you just had to open up that can of worms didn't you. xsmhx

UCABEARS75
December 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Oh boy, you just had to open up that can of worms didn't you. xsmhx

LOL

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
"They" don't? Since when? I am a graduate of UTA and all it is ever referred to by the students and community is UTA. And before you say they don't like it because it creates confusion with UT Austin, how many people have you heard call UT-Austin, UTA?

For that matter how often do you hear it called UT Austin unless you are referring to it and another UT campus in the same system? It is UT, and then the rest of the UT(insert your letter or city here) campuses.

This was a big push from them awhile back, part of their marketing campaign and rebranding, if I am not mistaken. They asked to be referred to as UT-Arlington. Heck, go to their main web site, you'll note that "Arlington" is pretty bold and strong (http://www.uta.edu/). On the left side, it's "About UT-Arlington" and "Support UT-Arlington". They've gone crazy with it (http://www.uta.edu/uta/overview). Guess you did not get the memo. xnonono2x

Does this do anything to Texas State plans? Both schools have huge enrollments (TxSt being the flagship of it's university system).

We've batted that around. FYI -- TXST is not the flagship of their university system. There is no flagship in the TSUS and the Board of Regents has clearly stated they have no intentions of doing such. If there was a flagship school in the system, I'd suspect SHSU and Lamar would bail out. Angelo State already did to the Texas Tech system because of the neglect they received.

FYI, NDSU is coming to Huntsville next year. :)

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
This was a big push from them awhile back, part of their marketing campaign and rebranding, if I am not mistaken. They asked to be referred to as UT-Arlington. Heck, go to their main web site, you'll note that "Arlington" is pretty bold and strong (http://www.uta.edu/). On the left side, it's "About UT-Arlington" and "Support UT-Arlington". They've gone crazy with it (http://www.uta.edu/uta/overview). Guess you did not get the memo. xnonono2x

I guess I didn't get the memo, and neither did the other 25,000 students that continue to call it UTA.

Speaking of using websites as proof, how many Texas State's do you find on these two without the mandated "San Marcos" with the reference?

http://www.txstate.edu/

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/

If it's on the internets, and their own websites it must be true, right? xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I guess I didn't get the memo, and neither did the other 25,000 students that continue to call it UTA.

Gawd, make me work for it! This is several years old, 2006 in fact. This was part of the massive re-branding of UT-Arlington. I'm sorry this one slid right past you. You have seen the relatively new logo, right? Sure people call them UTA, but they'd prefer not to be...

Why don’t we want to be called UTA anymore?
Our research tells us that the majority of people outside Arlington do not know what UTA stands for. They think the A is for Austin. In our external communications, we will refer to the University as The University of Texas at Arlington and, in second reference, as UT Arlington. That doesn’t mean we can’t use UTA on campus and in conversation.
(Credit: http://www.uta.edu/publications/utamagazine/spring_2006/stories.php?id=362&section=Feature%20Stories)

Speaking of using websites as proof, how many Texas State's do you find on these two without the mandated "San Marcos" with the reference?

http://www.txstate.edu/

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/

If it's on the internets, and their own websites it must be true, right? xthumbsupx

If you go to the TXSTATE.edu web site, you'll note in the banner it says "TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY SAN MARCOS". That's how it's supposed to be on first reference according to their PR primer with the "-" in between "University" and "San Marcos". ;)

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Gawd, make me work for it! This is several years old, 2006 in fact. This was part of the massive re-branding of UT-Arlington. I'm sorry this one slid right past you. You have seen the relatively new logo, right? Sure people call them UTA, but they'd prefer not to be...

I saw the information back then. I just chose, as the rest of the campus, community and most of the media to ignore it and call it UTA, because that what it has always been called.

I assume who you mean by the "they'd" in the quote above is the PR and administration of the University, and not the students, alumni, or community.

If you go to the TXSTATE.edu web site, you'll note in the banner it says "TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY SAN MARCOS". That's how it's supposed to be on first reference according to their PR primer with the "-" in between "University" and "San Marcos". ;)

I notice that if you go to the SHSU web site you'll note in the banner it says "SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY, A member of the Texas State University System" so I assume that you will be referring to Sam Houston as SHSU-TSUS in the future as well?

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I assume who you mean by the "they'd" in the quote above is the PR and administration of the University, and not the students, alumni, or community.

I was just going along with the rebranding campaign. Got no problem calling you guys, "UTA", but I try to refer to the school as UT-Arlington when I can to help a fellow school out, just like I do Texas State University - San Marcos as I saw them fight to get the "-San Marcos" on the floor of the Texas Senate, so I wouldn't want to ignore that, plus it's the official name of the school on first reference.

I notice that if you go to the SHSU web site you'll note in the banner it says "SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY, A member of the Texas State University System" so I assume that you will be referring to Sam Houston as SHSU-TSUS in the future as well?

All schools in the system have a "member of the Texas State University System" in their banner. The TSUS spends most of their Board of Regent meetings figuring out ways to increase their own signage and awareness on each of their member campuses.

Guess, if you want me to call us SHSU-TSUS, I can call our friends in San Marcos, TSUSM-TSUS. Looks like a lot of TUSH to me!

kwehmeyer
December 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
" i think this will, be great for utsa in the way because...
if{we could get, more schools like, texas a&m cc and ut-arlington
in, the southland conference then, will be time for the league
to) make a 12team football, divison

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I am not sure A&M-CC or UT-Arlington are close to adding football at this point in time, unfortunately. Figure the economy is not helping. UT-Arlington may way to see how things transpire at UTSA before they make any sort of move.

A 10-team SLC sounds good for me, but would not like nine conference games and only two OOC.

Speaking of San Antonio, anyone ever hear any more about Texas A&M-San Antonio? Wasn't that in the works at one point?

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
If the SLC was a 10-team league...

Pod A -SHSU, LU, SFA, TXST, UTSA
Pod B - SLU, Nich, McN, NWST, UCA

Annual Schedule -
4 games vs Pod
1 Rivalry Game vs Other Pod (LU-McN, SFA-NWST, TXST-Nich are must haves, the others could be SHSU-SLU and UTSA-UCA)
3 games vs Pod B (one team rotates off annually, always maintains home-and-home, so you would not play two games in a row on road against same foe)

For instance (SHSU) -- this gives teams four home, four away yearly:
Year One: 2 home vs Pod A, 2 road vs Pod A, home vs Rival, at Nicholls, vs McNeese, at Northwestern State
Year Two: 2 home vs Pod A, 2 road vs Pod A, road vs Rival, at McNeese, vs Northwestern State, vs Central Arkansas
Year Three: 2 home vs Pod A, 2 road vs Pod A, home vs Rival, at Northwestern State, at Central Arkansas, vs Nicholls
Year Four: 2 home vs Pod A, 2 road vs Pod A, road vs Rival, vs Central Arkansas, at Nicholls, vs McNeese
Year Five: 2 home vs Pod A, 2 road vs Pod A, home vs Rival, vs Nicholls, at McNeese, vs Northwestern State

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Speaking of San Antonio, anyone ever hear any more about Texas A&M-San Antonio? Wasn't that in the works at one point?

It is not only in the works it is up and going, sort of.

TAMU Kingsville currently has a San Antonio center that offers upper level courses on a local community college (Palo Alto College) campus in south San Antonio. These are upper level only classes. Supposedly when there are 4,000 students they will split away from TAMU Kingsville and become a stand alone TAMU campus. (I could be wrong on the number 4,000).

I have heard that they alrady have some land near the new Toyota plant, but I have heard from someone inside that the enrollment is very sparse right now and he doubts how viable the plan is at current demand.

Here is the website: http://www.tamuk.edu/SanAntonio/

Here is the website for their future plans: http://www.tamuk.edu/sanantonio/future.asp

They make it sound like it is a done deal. I think I will withhold reservation to see what happens in the economy before being as rosey.

This was an interesting rendering: I know it is just an archetectural rendering, but I thought others might find this interesting. I personally doubt they will see this in my lifetime, but who knows.

http://www.tamuk.edu/sanantonio/images/renderings/stadiumlogo.gif

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Texcap -- thanks for the information.

Can you imagine two Div I football programs in 15-20 years in San Antonio? If TAMU-San Antonio came to reality really quickly (which it won't), it'd cripple the efforts in San Marcos even more. Even when it does come about, I do not see it doing any favors for the school that would be scrunched even more...

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Texcap -- thanks for the information.

Can you imagine two Div I football programs in 15-20 years in San Antonio? If TAMU-San Antonio came to reality really quickly (which it won't), it'd cripple the efforts in San Marcos even more. Even when it does come about, I do not see it doing any favors for the school that would be scrunched even more...

I have questions about how EITHER Texas State and UTSA could move to FBS succesfully, much less both of them. A third just boggles the mind.

chrisattsu
December 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I saw the information back then. I just chose, as the rest of the campus, community and most of the media to ignore it and call it UTA, because that what it has always been called.

pssshh...... I still call it NTAC

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I have questions about how EITHER Texas State and UTSA could move to FBS succesfully, much less both of them. A third just boggles the mind.

And need us forget UIW? Incarnate Word says if they do not get into a Div II conference, they are going to have no option, but go Div I.

Feel free to give this post a bump, if you'd like. ;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48454

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
And need us forget UIW? Incarnate Word says if they do not get into a Div II conference, they are going to have no option, but go Div I.

Feel free to give this post a bump, if you'd like. ;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48454

Very interesting. I think the Lone Star Conference would be agood fit for them. Personally I am a little shocked that they are not DIII.

My son is being recruited by UIW's swimming team. It is one of only 2 DII men's swimming teams in the state (UT Permian Basin is the other). Of course there are only 3 DI swimming teams here. Title IX did a number on men's swimmimg at the college level. It's not that expensive of a program to run, you just have to have enough women's sports to balacne it out and most schools do not.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I saw UIW's swim team earlier this year here in New Orleans. Didn't go so well for the Cardinal.

GeauxLions94
December 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Why don’t we want to be called UTA anymore?
Our research tells us that the majority of people outside Arlington do not know what UTA stands for. They think the A is for Austin. In our external communications, we will refer to the University as The University of Texas at Arlington and, in second reference, as UT Arlington. That doesn’t mean we can’t use UTA on campus and in conversation.
(Credit: http://www.uta.edu/publications/utamagazine/spring_2006/stories.php?id=362&section=Feature%20Stories)

"And Away We Go ....."

http://www.shockya.com/interviews/billy_west/jackie_gleason_honeymooner.jpg

texcap
December 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I saw UIW's swim team earlier this year here in New Orleans. Didn't go so well for the Cardinal.

They have been ranked as high as #6 in DII this year. You also have to remember that this is only their second year with a swim team.

You also have to remember that UNO is a DI team.

However, while it is nice to have a good team, swimming is still pretty much an individual sport where you compete against yourself more than against a competitor. That's why you see swimmers get excited at a 6th place finish if it is a personal best.

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
You also have to remember that UNO is a DI team.

First year one at that.

However, while it is nice to have a good team, swimming is still pretty much an individual sport where you compete against yourself more than against a competitor. That's why you see swimmers get excited at a 6th place finish if it is a personal best.

That's right -- plenty of individual finishes are personal (or season best), much further down the line. Always trying to improve the personal marks. It's an interesting sport, that's for sure. Exhibition swimmers...ugh!

Okay -- let's get back to the football!

UTSA. A&M-San Antonio. Lamar. UTA?

McTailGator
December 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
" i think this will, be great for utsa in the way because...
if{we could get, more schools like, texas a&m cc and ut-arlington
in, the southland conference then, will be time for the league
to) make a 12team football, divison

Will never happen.

The Louisiana (and Arkansas) schools will leave before they let all the Texas schools get all the votes in the conference.

Plus, UTSA will not be allowed to play SLC football.

They might be encouraged to rotate them into the scheduling, but there is not good reason to reward them as a football member when they don't respect us enough to want to remain a member.

Not in the best interest of the current SLC football teams now.

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Two things...

1) Has UTSA even asked the SLC to be a part of the scheduling?
2) Did the SLC even publicize the addition of football at USA?

No on both accounts.

http://www.southland.org/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&KEY=&SPID=10812&SPSID=90019

Lamar pushed the issue and is on the SLC slate in 2011 instead of 2012. Guessing we won't see UTSA ever play a down of SLC football.

TexasTerror
December 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
UT-Arlington students continue to not be too happy...

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15812&Itemid=122

chrisattsu
December 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Very interesting. I think the Lone Star Conference would be agood fit for them. Personally I am a little shocked that they are not DIII.

My son is being recruited by UIW's swimming team. It is one of only 2 DII men's swimming teams in the state (UT Permian Basin is the other). Of course there are only 3 DI swimming teams here. Title IX did a number on men's swimmimg at the college level. It's not that expensive of a program to run, you just have to have enough women's sports to balacne it out and most schools do not.

The LSC would be a good fit for them, but as of right now, Commissioner Wagnon has stated that we are not looking at expansion. Our Conference already has 15 members for all sports (13 who play football).

While they are currently a member of the Heartland Conference, it does not sponsor football. There is no other regional conference with football for them to join in D2.

Chatter amongst the LSC crowd is -

1. LSC dumps the Oklahoma schools, and makes it a Texas league (plus Eastern NM). This would give them 9 schools and they could add UIW or UTPB.

2. UIW starts play as an independent for a couple of years, and then add them when current team(s) move to the Southland.

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
UT-San Antonio: Sources tell FootballScoop that Kentucky assistant Chris Thurmond has emerged as a leading candidate to become the first head football coach at UT-San Antonio

TexasTerror
January 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Article on the coaching search...

If you're trying to reach UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey by phone and get her voicemail, it could be a while before she gets back with you.

Hickey has been busier than usual since last month, when the University of Texas board of regents approved UTSA's plan to start playing football in 2011.

Things in the office only got crazier after UTSA, which has competed in intercollegiate athletics since 1981, started advertising for the head-coaching job Jan. 16.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/david_flores/38259944.html

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Larry Coker interview...

http://thegame.podbean.com/2009/06/16/larry-coker-with-sean-and-john-6-16-09/