PDA

View Full Version : Does the title of this article rile any App fans?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
"Appy State's Edwards Headlines FCS All-Americans"
http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9540625&nav=menu1406_5

? xeyebrowx ;)

AshevilleApp2
December 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
"Appy State's Edwards Headlines FCS All-Americans"
http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9540625&nav=menu1406_5

? xeyebrowx ;)

Nope. Does it rile ya'll that the Chattanooga press continues to talk about Appalachian as opposed to the Griz and Spiders? xsmiley_wix

The Moody1
December 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
It sounds better than, "Dooky U's Landers Headlines FCS All-Americans". :D

Bronco
December 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Doesn't bother me...he should headline.

elcid96
December 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Smack in 5,4,3,2,1

OL FU
December 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Did Bobby Lamb write that articlexconfusedx xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Nope. Does it rile ya'll that the Chattanooga press continues to talk about Appalachian as opposed to the Griz and Spiders? xsmiley_wix

Nope, just glad they cared enough to even write one hehe :D

Silenoz
December 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I clicked on that yesterday expecting the Michigan win to be mentioned in line one xlolx

elcid96
December 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I clicked on that yesterday expecting the Michigan win to be mentioned in line one xlolx

It actually was in the first sentence.

"Armanti Edwards can add All-American to a list of accomplishments that already includes two national championships and one of the greatest upsets in college football history."

rudy1648
December 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Well,,considering this comes from a station in a town that hardly even knows they have a university football team of their own,,,it is not surprising. Mention football in Chattanooga and they immediately think you are talking about UT. The town is just now beginning to realize that they have a championship football game going on this weekend.

By the way,,,know what the UTC mascot is now? Wondered how they were still called the Mocs, when they were no longer called the mocasins. Seems the TN state bird is a mockingbird,,,so the bird mascot is a mockingbird and they can still be called The Mocs.

BarefootApp
December 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Nope....but a fair question. I think of it more as a term of endearment. The sports world kinda adopted us last year, and I don't think it is a sign of disrepect. How could it be after what the school has accomplished the last 3 years, especially. Good luck to all fans tomorrow night.

ASUG8
December 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Doesn't bother me - I do have a UTC grad and a Delaware grad in my office that still refer to it as "App-a-LAY-shun". That kinda irks me. I try to set them straight, but they don't have the mental capacity apparently.

appfan2008
December 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM
i dont like it but pub is pub

AshevilleApp2
December 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Nope, just glad they cared enough to even write one hehe :D

xnodx xnodx

ASU
December 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Doesn't bother me - I do have a UTC grad and a Delaware grad in my office that still refer to it as "App-a-LAY-shun". That kinda irks me. I try to set them straight, but they don't have the mental capacity apparently.

They are hosing you.....tell them it is the reverse of what it is and they will get it right probably.

ASUG8
December 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
They are hosing you.....tell them it is the reverse of what it is and they will get it right probably.

No, I don't think they're capable of hosing me. Neither even follow their alma maters, so they don't know any better.

ASUMountaineer
December 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I wonder where it came from? No one says Furmy or Monty State. I don't like it, but I've never heard how it started, though my whole life in NC I've heard "Happy Appy." I guess it started with that, but does anyone know when that started?

MightyMightyGriz
December 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Since you put out the bait, I have to bite. Who did App State lose to? Oh yea, the spiders. Imagine if you had met a grizzly!!! xeekx

Chattanooga press has to talk about APP STATE, who would have thunk it. A mountaineer beaten by a spider. News is news.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gotta love APPY!

Congrats to the headline there, now let's play a championship!

jonmac
December 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I wonder where it came from? No one says Furmy or Monty State. I don't like it, but I've never heard how it started, though my whole life in NC I've heard "Happy Appy." I guess it started with that, but does anyone know when that started?

It's mainly a Tennessee thing, I think. When I went to Johnson City for ETSU games that's the only way they referred to us. When I went to the booth to buy my ticket the cashier said, "Appy State's on the other side". Have heard a lot of Tennesseans use it. Not sure of the origin though. It has gotten to where it doesn't bother me.

appfan2008
December 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM

it isnt hard to figure out why we are called happy appy... i never pertook in such activities and to this day have never done any drugs in my life... but lets just say it is borderline very very common in boone...

AppMan
December 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Need to remove that tarbaby logo from your list. Don't know 'bout you, but I only support one college team and it isn't one I didn't attend. PS: I'd say the same thing if it were dook, moo-u, or weak forest.

AppMan
December 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
It's mainly a Tennessee thing, I think. When I went to Johnson City for ETSU games that's the only way they referred to us. When I went to the booth to buy my ticket the cashier said, "Appy State's on the other side". Have heard a lot of Tennesseans use it. Not sure of the origin though. It has gotten to where it doesn't bother me.

In the 70's some folks from North Carolina referred to ASU as Happy Appy. In the early 80's a sports writer from Johnson City picked up on it and referred to ASU as Appy. Soon writers covering UTC and Marshall also adopted it. At first I don't think it was intended as a slam, but our SID at the time sent out a press release telling everyone Appy was not a appropriate reference to the school and well, you know the rest of the story.....

Skjellyfetti
December 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
The "Happy Appy" thing may have come from "Hi Hi Yikas".

"Always a-winnin', always a-grinnin', always a-feelin' fine."

I don't really know, but that's my best guess.

BarefootApp
December 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I guess the folks in "Chatty" are really pi$$ed.