PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Richmond fans?

mtgrizfan4life
December 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
IF there are any, EGRIZ would love to hear from you folks. This week has been silent in terms of opposing fans. The last 3 weeks have been this way.

Texas State fans- As for class they rank amongst the best. Their fans alone will give me reason to wish them success. They are a fan base that deserve the best.

Weber State- Most Weber State fans we deal with every year anyway. The majority are GREAT, the minority make the majority look bad, especially after a hard fought loss. Pretty accurate to say if both teams stay on top of the BSC this rivalry could get UGLY amongst the teams and fans.

JMU- up until this year, I was impressed with their fan base. I guess prior to this year, I only dealt with their classy fans. This year though, it seemed an unusually higher % of classless fans made appearances. There is not much in between for their fan base. Either very very classy or very very (you insert your words here). A few really pissed me off and showed no respect toward not only the GRIZ, but the BSC, and the WEST period.

Richmond- It is your turn to have some fun with GRIZ fans. I am praying a few of you can make classy impressions to make up for a few JMU ers. I hope to see a few of you visit and post on EGRIZ before the big game.

Good luck Richmond. I am hoping for a great game, no injuries, and the GRIZ come out on top of course. xthumbsupx

PS, my thanks go out to all the classy fans for all programs. All you help make FCS football the best it can be. Note to the classless fans, I hope in time your classy fans teach you guys a few things about class. (Yes I know, GRIZNATION is guilty of the good and bad fans too. )

Silenoz
December 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM
JMU- up until this year, I was impressed with their fan base. I guess prior to this year, I only dealt with their classy fans. This year though, it seemed an unusually higher % of classless fans made appearances. There is not much in between for their fan base. Either very very classy or very very (you insert your words here). A few really pissed me off and showed no respect toward not only the GRIZ, but the BSC, and the WEST period.

You see this with any team that rises to the top, including us. Success increases the size of the bandwagon, the amount of chest-puffing, the arrogance, etc.

mtgrizfan4life
December 17th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Seriously, how can the fanbases from Texas State, McNeese and Wofford make such great impressions, with very little doubt of how good of people they are? Yet the likes of JMU and UMASS tend to have more fans that really leave a bad impression on fanbases not familar with them.

I know most fans of any program are class, and I do appreciate every classy fan. Just do not understand the difference from fanbase to fanbase .

Bettina90
December 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Busy week for me this week at work, so don't look for much.

Go Spiders, under 48 hours. Not sure why you care so much about the "class" of peeps on an internet message board. All's fair in love and war and close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

CatMom07
December 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
A fan, any fan, (good or bad) of any school, in a bar, at tailgating, at a game and yes, even on an internet message board - their deportment reflects back on the team and the university. Whether we like it or not, it does.

spdram
December 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
There are plenty of Richmond fans, most are over on Spidernation.com. We are looking forward to a great game against a storied Montana program. We are small in number but proud and focused. Of course we believe we can and will win. How else would we be known as the "Giantkiller". Check out your hoops history, I know this is football, but it crosses to all sports at UR. We have a great deal of respect for both Montana and their fans, when we came to your house in 2000 you treated our fans and team with respect and dignity but sent us home with a loss. Tomorrow we hope to return the favor. We were not ready then but we believe we are now.

Good luck, but hope we win.

WEBelieve!!!! Go Spiders!!

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'll be a Richmond fan this Saturday. I'm always supporting my CAA brethren in the playoffs.

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
You see this with any team that rises to the top, including us. Success increases the size of the bandwagon, the amount of chest-puffing, the arrogance, etc.

Agreed.

Seriously, how can the fanbases from Texas State, McNeese and Wofford make such great impressions, with very little doubt of how good of people they are? Yet the likes of JMU and UMASS tend to have more fans that really leave a bad impression on fanbases not familar with them.

I know most fans of any program are class, and I do appreciate every classy fan. Just do not understand the difference from fanbase to fanbase .

A lot has to do with the number of fans. JMU had modest success for a few years, then everything blew up in '04. People came out of the woodwork, more students were fans, which meant more recent alumni were fans, etc...The more fans you have, the greater likelihood the (insert word here) are going to show up on the internet. It also stands to reason that you're probably going to get the extreme sides of the spectrum if they've dedicated any time at all to signing up for a site and posting.

This is the only FCS site I go to anymore. I went over to CAA Zone at first, but I really can't stand it. It's homerish and unrealistic. Not for me.

BTW, this is not meant as a dig on Spider fans. They have a smaller school and their big success has just happened in the last couple of years. If they win this year, you can probably expect a fairly sizeable increase in the fan base (and it's not just because they won the national championship, but a lot of casual fans realize how fun and entertaining our level of football is).

2xspyder
December 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Richmond is a small (3,500 students....maybe), private liberal arts school that was founded in 1830. It's alumni base is scattered all over the country. It has to fight for sports page space every day in all of the state's newspapers. The two "big" programs (UVA and VT) dominate sports stories all over. In the football season, every state paper also gives quite a bit of coverage to the Redskins. It is all we can do to generate some kind of fan following beyond the alumni. JMU, William and Mary, VMI, George Mason and ODU have the same problem. We are lucky to have 7 or 8,000 at a home game, with our average probably around 5,000. Our biggest annual football rival is William and Mary, the series going back over 100 years and being know as the oldest rivalry in the South. The game is always the same day as the UVA-Va. Tech game, so you know who dominates the press coverage.
Our fan base, however, is extremely loyal, and I believe we will be well represented in Chattanooga. I know we'll be loud!
The reason you may not hear much from us on this message board is that most of us are on spidernation.com, and probably more likely, we don't know much about the Grizzlies. We respect UM's program, but because we don't play you on a regular basis, we are kind of neutral about your team.
We look forward to Friday night, however, and hope that all of us will have a spectacular party!

bostonspider
December 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Well we actually average about 7500 a game, and had our best crowd of about 15,000 this year (JMU Game). We have 2,800 undergraduates, with a grand total of about 4,000 if you include both graduate and continuing education students.

ur2k
December 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
We usually tend to stay away from the message boards of other schools - there's some of us on here and most on Spidernation.com.

I think it will get pretty quiet starting today as most UR fans will be on the road to NOOGA! Our group is leaving tonight after work. We'll see you Griz fans in the parking lot on Friday - you'll find most of us are decent people. Come on by and have a beer.

appfan2008
December 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
i have been surprised with how few richmond fans there are on this site... of course the typical jump has occured leading up to the big game but no the same as other teams...i am sure size of school accounts for a lot of that...

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
i have been surprised with how few richmond fans there are on this site... of course the typical jump has occured leading up to the big game but no the same as other teams...i am sure size of school accounts for a lot of that...

Yea, I think that a lot of the newer fans that jump onto a site when their team is in the last stages of the playoffs are students that have time to be on the internet and find this place. Their pool of students is just smaller to draw from.

HIU 93
December 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Well, I root for ALL the teams from the Commonwealth, and I am an arrogant mother*****r.

So "Go Spiders" and "Whoop that trick"!xlolx

Your move- do something.xlolx

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Here in Richmond, there is one UR fan in my office that I know of, he went to grad school there - but first an foremost he's a Va Tech (What the heck is a..) Hokie fan.

fencer24
December 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Busy week for me this week at work, so don't look for much.

You can work? I won't be able to do anything productive until Monday!! :D

Eight Legger
December 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've been posting here for a year ... but lately I've spent more time on our board and the eGriz board.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM

WORK is a 4 letter word! xlolx

SpiderFan
December 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Just started posting on this board this season, mostly on the other board as well. I hope we get at least 3-4,000 fans for Richmond there. I know a good number of people are going--disappointed I can't being so close in Atlanta due to traveling on Sat morning. Enjoy the board but hard sifting through all the App posters and such. :)

I expect the game to come down to who runs the ball better in the wet conditions. I hope its us, the injuries to our WRs may be more of an issue than our coach and fans are letting on. I like our chances though. Looking forward to a good game and hope we pull it out. Good luck to both teams.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm here. So I guess there are at least 4 or 5 Richmond fans. We all make a LOT of noise too. You have never seen 4 or 5 people that can get as loud as we can.

MasonJar
December 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Competition can bring out the best and worst in all of us...

xhurrayx xsplatx

Go SpiderGrizzlies! Here's to a very entertaining game tomorrow night!

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Competition can bring out the best and worst in all of us...

xhurrayx xsplatx

Go SpiderGrizzlies! Here's to a very entertaining game tomorrow night!

I think you mean Spizzlies.

HLNgriz
December 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Agreed, Woffard players,staff, and fans were impressive. Texas State fans on egriz are real nice also. Gotta love FCS spiritxthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM

and thats the basic differecne between a Griz fan and a Richmond fan, Griz fans are obsessed and Richmond fans will start thinking about the game after they get off work today