PDA

View Full Version : UNHFan

UNHFan
December 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
any updates for 2009 Would love to know our FBS Team

UNHFan99
December 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM
i know that we dont have anyone scheduled and I also know that noone wants to play us. Alot of the east coast FBS wont play us. We do have Pitt and BC coming up in the next few years though.

R3TRO
December 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hopefully we can land a FBS game for 2009.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
It would be interesting to schedule a regular season game with UNI to see if we play any differently in a non-playoff environment. I would want to play them in Durham.

unhfan1
December 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Washington State?

art vandelay
December 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
they should play Oregon.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
they should play Oregon.

In Durhamxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

93henfan
December 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Who are the closest FBS teams to you guys? BC, 'Cuse, who else? Heck, these days you might be able to even host the 'Cuse.xlolx

MightyMightyGriz
December 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Tell whoever you know you want to play the GRIZ!

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Griz paying $300,000?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Who are the closest FBS teams to you guys? BC, 'Cuse, who else? Heck, these days you might be able to even host the 'Cuse.xlolx

Off the top of my head and in relative order:

1. Chestnut Hill Beagles (2014)
2. UConVict Sled Dogs (Have they scheduled a top tier CAA/A10 school since they left? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex not holding my breath)
3. Army (see 2008 results)
4. Syracuse (Rumored to have bailed on us)
5. Rutgers (see 2004 results)
------------------------ end of bus games --------------------
6. Temple (non-stop SW from Manchester to Philly) Do they even pay guarantees?
7. Buffalo (Do they even pay guarantees?)
8. Maryland/Navy (Listed ahead of PA schools due to SW non-stop into BWI) Probably too many CAA South schools in line ahead of us for these games.
9. Penn State We have played a couple of $$$ games in hoop in Happy Valley, don't know if they've offered a football game? xconfusedx
10. Pittsburgh (2010)

After that you're out into ACC, MAC, C-USA and Big Ten teams.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Griz paying $300,000?

Unfortunately, that's probably the only way UNH could schedule a game or series with Montana. We just can't afford to travel that far West. The ugly ramifications of cost containment FCS football when you don't have the gate revenue of Montana, Delaware, App, GaSoU, etc.

And before you say we traveled to UC Davis in 2005, we were in a bind that year when Army dropped us. And I believe UC Davis picked up the tab for a significant portion of the travel costs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
It would be interesting to schedule a regular season game with UNI to see if we play any differently in a non-playoff environment. I would want to play them in Durham.

Only if you sign on for the the road trip out there for the return game!! I'm not doing that drive alone again!!!! ;) :p :p Well, not in December anyway!! :p :p :p :p :p

MightyMightyGriz
December 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Griz paying $300,000?

your not that good but nice try! Take 5 zero's off that then we might talk!xcoffeex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM

From everything that I heard, all the people who went to the playoff game in 2004 had a terrific time. I wish we could somehow bundle football, basketball (Men's/Women's), Volleyball, Soccer, etc. games on the same weekend to somehow gain some fiscal feasibility to schedule this type of game. Too bad you guys don't play ice hockey, that might make a bundle of games even more feasible. The snow belt schools need to help each other out.

MightyMightyGriz
December 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Griz paying $300,000?

only kidding about the not good part. I would love to see the griz play UNH. New blood is great for all programs. GO UNH! Maybe next year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM
your not that good but nice try! Take 5 zero's off that then we might talk!xcoffeex

I don't think either of us were alluding to "how good" UNH is. Rather, it is just stating that it is doubtful we would travel that far without a FBS type payout.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM
In Durhamxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

OMG, could you imagine the look on the Oregon player's faces when they saw the visitor's locker room at Cowell!!! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

nwFL Griz
December 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM

2. UConVict Sled Dogs (Have they scheduled a top tier CAA/A10 school since they left? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex not holding my breath)
8. Maryland/Navy (Listed ahead of PA schools due to SW non-stop into BWI) Probably too many CAA South schools in line ahead of us for these games.
9. Penn State We have played a couple of $$$ games in hoop in Happy Valley, don't know if they've offered a football game? xconfusedx
10. Pittsburgh (2010)

Just glancing at your list, here's what's up with each of those teams:

BC - Already playing Northeastern, so doubt they'd do 2 FCS
UConn - OOC already set
Army - schedule set
Syracuse - possible, still needs 2 games and no FCS yet
Rutgers - already playing Norfolk St, so doubt they'd do 2 FCS
Temple - OOC already set
Buffalo - OOC already set
Maryland - already playing JMU, so doubt they'd do 2 FCS
Navy - schedule set
Penn St - schedule set
Pitt - OOC already set

Out of that list, the Cuse is probably your only choice.

93henfan
December 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM

10. Pittsburgh (2010)

Wow! Excellent response.

Some answers to your questions:

#2. No. UConn has bad memories about the CAA/A-10/Yankee conference.
#6. How can you pay a guarantee when you draw less than 30,000 per game?
#7. See #6 and substitute 15,000.
#8. Delaware and Towson seem to have cornered the Navy market. Playing Delaware is risky for Navy and is usually an L about 30-40% of the time, but guarantees a near sellout. Maryland seems to like a CAA rotation. That may be a school to target.
#9. Penn State doesn't seem to want to play top ten type FCS teams.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Just glancing at your list, here's what's up with each of those teams:

BC - Already playing Northeastern, so doubt they'd do 2 FCS
UConn - OOC already set
Army - schedule set
Syracuse - possible, still needs 2 games and no FCS yet
Rutgers - already playing Norfolk St, so doubt they'd do 2 FCS
Temple - OOC already set
Buffalo - OOC already set
Maryland - already playing JMU, so doubt they'd do 2 FCS
Navy - schedule set
Penn St - schedule set
Pitt - OOC already set

Out of that list, the Cuse is probably your only choice.

Not surprised that Syracuse needs two games one of which is an FCS game. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

unhfan1
December 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Florida in the "swamp" PARTY ON!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Wow! Excellent response.

Some answers to your questions:

#2. No. UConn has bad memories about the CAA/A-10/Yankee conference.
#6. How can you pay a guarantee when you draw less than 30,000 per game?
#7. See #6 and substitute 15,000.
#8. Delaware and Towson seem to have cornered the Navy market. Playing Delaware is risky for Navy and is usually an L about 30-40% of the time, but guarantees a near sellout. Maryland seems to like a CAA rotation. That may be a school to target.
#9. Penn State doesn't seem to want to play top ten type FCS teams.

Thanks! And I didn't know what smilie to use for rhetorical question. ;) (#6 and #7 :D )

#2 -- No kidding! Plus, UConn loves to flaunt what a good idea it was to upgrade their football program by beating up on URI, Northeastern, Hofstra and Maine. Heaven forbid they upset the psyche of their fans after all that money has been spent with the reality that they aren't that much better than the top teams from the league they abandoned. Some years they just have more depth. A couple of years they've been poor enough offensively that I doubt they could keep up with the top CAA/A10 teams. Nothing would crush their ego more than a loss or close win over UMass or UNH and to some extent Delaware, Richmond or JMU (because of the longer standing New England rivalries). Probably why you won't see any of these schools on the Sled Dog's schedule for a long, long time. And you'd think that Big East mate Villanova would be a natural for their FCS game!

#8 -- Not sure how much interaction there is between the ADs of Maryland and UNH? Maybe this one could happen??????

#9 -- that's what I thought to.

Most of us felt we'd be traveling farther (out of the Northeast) in 2009 for an FBS game if one was to occur.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Florida in the "swamp" PARTY ON!

Extremely doubtful.

UNHFootballAlum
December 19th, 2008, 02:23 AM
This is an article from the Manchester Union Leader discussing UNH trying to get an FBS game in 2009. Many teams do not want to play us. There is a top tier FBS school that is calling to play usw, but UNH won't play a top FBS school

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Allen+Lessels%27+UNH+Noteboo k%3a+Team+wanted+to+play+Wildcats&articleId=e5c429b4-7ab0-4583-8a0f-63495925e94a

R3TRO
December 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I wonder who this FBS team is that keeps calling us??? I agree to a certain extent of not wanting to "put our athletes in harms way" but at some point we need to make the jump. Our facilities are abysmal and we could use the extra money. Plus, if it is top teir FBS squad it would possibly be a televised game and the exposure would be good.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Texas Tech is already playing North Dakota and has a full slate otherwise. Always seems teams are rumored to play Tech when in fact, they probably book FCS teams earlier than most other schools.

URMite
December 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
OMG, could you imagine the look on the Oregon player's faces when they saw the visitor's locker room at Cowell!!! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Who and when was the last FCS to host BCS (not just FBS)? We had some interesting schedules in transition check out 1983 & 1984
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/richmond/yearly_results.php?year=1980

UNHFootballAlum
December 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I wonder who this FBS team is that keeps calling us??? I agree to a certain extent of not wanting to "put our athletes in harms way" but at some point we need to make the jump. Our facilities are abysmal and we could use the extra money. Plus, if it is top teir FBS squad it would possibly be a televised game and the exposure would be good.

I have heard that Oklahoma was calling UNH about a game in 2009 and that UNH turned them down. I agree that it is time to make the jump and get a big payday and great exposure. It would go a long way to upgrade our facilities

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have heard that Oklahoma was calling UNH about a game in 2009 and that UNH turned them down. I agree that it is time to make the jump and get a big payday and great exposure. It would go a long way to upgrade our facilities

Except that the money goes into the general athletic fund, after expenses, that money would buy alot of field hockey balls.

UNHWildCats
December 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I disagree, the goal isnt to make money and get great exposure, it is to win the FCS National Championship, and playing a game you have maybe .01% chance of winning, and thats if you're lucky, doesnt help get you to that goal.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I disagree, the goal isnt to make money and get great exposure, it is to win the FCS National Championship, and playing a game you have maybe .01% chance of winning, and thats if you're lucky, doesnt help get you to that goal.

WRONG!!!

Why play a game that you have a good chance of getting your a$$ handed to you. Oh, buy the way the money doesn't go all to the football program.

UNHWildCats
December 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM

WRONG!!!

Why play a game that you have a good chance of getting your a$$ handed to you. Oh, buy the way the money doesn't go all to the football program.
I think we agree here.

igo4uni
December 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM

UNI has either the Iowa Squawkeyes or the hapless Iowa State Cyclowns on the schedule every year for the next several years. Don't remember how long off the top of my head. Plus, UNI and UNH are just too far away...........travel costs are too much to make it realistic.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think we agree here.

I've been drinking

UNHWildCats
December 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I've been drinking
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx better share some with igo4.

R3TRO
December 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Except that the money goes into the general athletic fund, after expenses, that money would buy alot of field hockey balls.

I know this doesn't have to do with football but is related to the topic.. so when UNH hockey hosts the NCAA Northeast Regional tournament this year, do all the proceeds from that go to the general athletic fund?

UNHFootballAlum
December 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I disagree, the goal isnt to make money and get great exposure, it is to win the FCS National Championship, and playing a game you have maybe .01% chance of winning, and thats if you're lucky, doesnt help get you to that goal..

The money will help with facilities and the possibility of getting a new stadium. Some of that money goes into the football program. As great of a job as Sean and his staff do recruiting, how many great recruits do we leave on the table because of our facilities. The national TV exposure will help us get an opportunity to land a few more recruits outside of the northeast. These types of games have not hurt the Richmond, App St, UMass, and Delaware programs.

All n all this is only to help us get over the hump to a national title

UNHWildCats
December 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM

The money will help with facilities and the possibility of getting a new stadium. Some of that money goes into the football program. As great of a job as Sean and his staff do recruiting, how many great recruits do we leave on the table because of our facilities. The national TV exposure will help us get an opportunity to land a few more recruits outside of the northeast. These types of games have not hurt the Richmond, App St, UMass, and Delaware programs.

All n all this is only to help us get over the hump to a national title
Veyr well could have hurt UMass this year. Had they played a game they had a chance of winning and won the game, they could have snuck in the playoffs ahead of Maine.

You cant schedule games you have virtually no chance of winning. It would take 50 years of two FBS games a season to get to the point of having enough money to build a new stadium from the money made off these games, besides, the difference in money from say going to Pittsburgh or going to Oklahoma is minimal.

Also, UNH would get about the same exposure going to Northwestern or Rutgers and winning as they would going to Oklahoma and losing by 50, in fact they probably get more exposure winning the Rutgers and Northwestern and Army games.

UNHFootballAlum
December 20th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Veyr well could have hurt UMass this year. Had they played a game they had a chance of winning and won the game, they could have snuck in the playoffs ahead of Maine.

You cant schedule games you have virtually no chance of winning. It would take 50 years of two FBS games a season to get to the point of having enough money to build a new stadium from the money made off these games, besides, the difference in money from say going to Pittsburgh or going to Oklahoma is minimal.

Also, UNH would get about the same exposure going to Northwestern or Rutgers and winning as they would going to Oklahoma and losing by 50, in fact they probably get more exposure winning the Rutgers and Northwestern and Army games.

I work in media and you cannot actually believe that you will get more exposure playing Northwestern (win or lose) than an Oklanhoma. It is not even close. As far as UMASS is concerned, they have been playing these types of schools for the past 3-4 years and I only recall them missing the playoffs only this year. Also this type of exposure could also bring in unexpected corporate sponsors to help fund new facilities. Right now all of our major FCS competition to a national title has raised their level of FBS competition that they play. We have not followed suit. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we have beaten the last 4 FBS we have played. We also have to continue to do so.

When I played for UNH, we were playing DII teams like AIC. The program no longer plays that level of competition and the programs has advance to unsurpassed heights. I beleive it is now time to do it again.

UNHFan99
December 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
The teams I think we could get for big paydays are teams that play Oregon and Chip Kelly. I bet USC or Oregon State would give us a big payday to run our spread against them.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
The teams I think we could get for big paydays are teams that play Oregon and Chip Kelly. I bet USC or Oregon State would give us a big payday to run our spread against them.

Pretty sure Southern Cal would fall into that "harm's way" list.

I'd love a game in California as a homecoming game for current players as well as to increase exposure out there for future recruiting. San Diego State, Stanford and San Jose State were schools I was thinking about though, not USC or UCLA.

BTW, did you see Lessel's blog in the Union Leader this morning? He theorized that Tulane was a very possible FCS game until we beat Army. A road trip to New Orleans would have been sweet. Based on that I guess we can forget about Rice, SMU, Memphis, etc. as well.

After Christmas I'm going to find that link with schedule openings for 2009 and research who is a realistic candidate for this game. But for right now, there is snow that needs to be shoveled and presents to be bought. :p

UNHCATSFAN
December 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
At the same time i think its about the bigtime college football experience. You think the kids at The Citadel are sitting there right now wishing they played Florida Atlantica rather than the Gators? You always want be to competitive in the game you play for sure but now those guys are sitting at home telling their families at christmas time what it was like to play at The Swamp and they are gonna sit back and watch the NC game and know they went toe to toe with the best team in FCS football.

I agree its great to have a chance to win those games like we have the last few years and it was great doing it but you cant replace the experience that will be had playing in a place like Florida or Penn State or Oklahoma.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I work in media and you cannot actually believe that you will get more exposure playing Northwestern (win or lose) than an Oklanhoma. It is not even close. As far as UMASS is concerned, they have been playing these types of schools for the past 3-4 years and I only recall them missing the playoffs only this year. Also this type of exposure could also bring in unexpected corporate sponsors to help fund new facilities. Right now all of our major FCS competition to a national title has raised their level of FBS competition that they play. We have not followed suit. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we have beaten the last 4 FBS we have played. We also have to continue to do so.

When I played for UNH, we were playing DII teams like AIC. The program no longer plays that level of competition and the programs has advance to unsurpassed heights. I beleive it is now time to do it again.
What exposure would we get if say we lost 70-10 to Oklahoma? Sure the local papers in Oklahoma would write about it, but no one else would care. When we beat teams like Army, Marshall, Rutgers and Northwestern, people notice and even seen articles linked on the front page of the national sports websites College sections, as for the Northwestern game, I remember a link being on the main page of I thinkl it was ESPN, but it could have been CNNSI, you think the same kind of attention would be paid to UNH if they lose by 60 at Oklahoma?

art vandelay
December 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Pretty sure Southern Cal would fall into that "harm's way" list.

I'd love a game in California as a homecoming game for current players as well as to increase exposure out there for future recruiting. San Diego State, Stanford and San Jose State were schools I was thinking about though, not USC or UCLA.

BTW, did you see Lessel's blog in the Union Leader this morning? He theorized that Tulane was a very possible FCS game until we beat Army. A road trip to New Orleans would have been sweet. Based on that I guess we can forget about Rice, SMU, Memphis, etc. as well.

After Christmas I'm going to find that link with schedule openings for 2009 and research who is a realistic candidate for this game. But for right now, there is snow that needs to be shoveled and presents to be bought. :p

UNH will not get hurt playing against the big time teams if thats what you guys mean by harms way. its a difference of athletic ability. the next part is playing teams like UCLA, washington, washington st, stanford or most anyone in the pac-10 is not that huge of a missmatch believe me I watched every home game for Oregon this year. UNH throws the ball much better than Oregon and several other teams in the Pac-10. the lower level team; ie UCLA, washington st and washington; are very beatable. there is no reason we cant play these teams they are no better than North western or Rutgers.

Jackman
December 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
#2 -- No kidding! Plus, UConn loves to flaunt what a good idea it was to upgrade their football program by beating up on URI, Northeastern, Hofstra and Maine. Heaven forbid they upset the psyche of their fans after all that money has been spent with the reality that they aren't that much better than the top teams from the league they abandoned. Some years they just have more depth. A couple of years they've been poor enough offensively that I doubt they could keep up with the top CAA/A10 teams. Nothing would crush their ego more than a loss or close win over UMass or UNH and to some extent Delaware, Richmond or JMU (because of the longer standing New England rivalries). Probably why you won't see any of these schools on the Sled Dog's schedule for a long, long time. And you'd think that Big East mate Villanova would be a natural for their FCS game!
According to cfbpalace.net (http://cfbpalace.net/connecticut.html), UMass is playing UConn in 2012. I'd read somewhere over a year ago that UConn had backed out of that game, but maybe it's back on. That site's generally been pretty reliable, as far as I know.

UMass also has Kansas State in 2009 and Boston College in 2011. Nothing yet for 2010, but there were rumors we might get Michigan.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd much rather that UMass was playing Syracuse, Army or Rutgers instead of Kansas State. KSU is an example of the type of FBS opponent I least want to play, because they're not very good yet not a good matchup for us, they're not nearby and they're not in a place I ever want to visit. And if you asked someone from the northeast to name all the BCS schools, they'd probably be the most frequently missed after Iowa State and Baylor. Playing the forgotten corners of the Big 12 is really getting the least amount of value from your near certain FBS losses, unless you're a MVC school.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
According to cfbpalace.net (http://cfbpalace.net/connecticut.html), UMass is playing UConn in 2012. I'd read somewhere over a year ago that UConn had backed out of that game, but maybe it's back on. That site's generally been pretty reliable, as far as I know.

UMass also has Kansas State in 2009 and Boston College in 2011. Nothing yet for 2010, but there were rumors we might get Michigan.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd much rather that UMass was playing Syracuse, Army or Rutgers instead of Kansas State. KSU is an example of the type of FBS opponent I least want to play, because they're not very good yet not a good matchup for us, they're not nearby and they're not in a place I ever want to visit. And if you asked someone from the northeast to name all the BCS schools, they'd probably be the most frequently missed after Iowa State and Baylor. Playing the forgotten corners of the Big 12 is really getting the least amount of value from your near certain FBS losses, unless you're a MVC school.

I'll pay more attention to the local press here too, but you know what, I don't think I recall it ever being mentioned that UMass was on the Sled Dog's OOC schedule. I'll relent when and if it happens. Maybe they think they'll have enough years at 85 scholarships to stockpile enough talent and depth to beat top level FCS teams or think they're enough years beyond the A-10 or think they'll have a QB by then. xwhistlex xwhistlex

Tim James
December 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Play the Oklahomas and get the exposure to bring in corporate sponsors to help fund new facilities. I mean a new stadium for UNH should be the #1goal and that should trumph playing "easier" FBS teams to get easy wins. I mean do UNH supporters really enjoy having one of the worst stadiums in FCS ? Thats a source of embarassment right there. Money is more important than wins if you need the money and UNH do because their stadium is a laughing stock.

UNHFootballAlum
December 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
What exposure would we get if say we lost 70-10 to Oklahoma? Sure the local papers in Oklahoma would write about it, but no one else would care. When we beat teams like Army, Marshall, Rutgers and Northwestern, people notice and even seen articles linked on the front page of the national sports websites College sections, as for the Northwestern game, I remember a link being on the main page of I thinkl it was ESPN, but it could have been CNNSI, you think the same kind of attention would be paid to UNH if they lose by 60 at Oklahoma?

Exposure like our game being covered all week on ESPN and on Saturday during ESPN's Gameday as well as the other networks and sports stations. That is exposure for the UNH program that you could never buy or attain by beating Rutgers, Northwestern or Army.

Why did Cal Poly believe that they could play with Wisconsin, App St against Michigan, UNI against Iowa, but UNH doesn't beleive that it can compete with that level.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Exposure like our game being covered all week on ESPN and on Saturday during ESPN's Gameday as well as the other networks and sports stations. That is exposure for the UNH program that you could never buy or attain by beating Rutgers, Northwestern or Army.

Why did Cal Poly believe that they could play with Wisconsin, App St against Michigan, UNI against Iowa, but UNH doesn't beleive that it can compete with that level.

I tried to send you a Private Message (PM), but you must have them disabled.

Do you participate on the UNH Proboards Forum?

I'd like to continue this discussion, but alas today the Christmas season and another snowstorm have my attention. xoopsx See you in a week for further discussion. xnodx

UNHWildCats
December 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM

Do you really think ESPN will give more then a passing mention to a Oklahoma vs New Hampshire game? We wouldnt be hearing about it all week on ESPN.

Wisconsin and Iowa are not in the class of Oklahoma, and while Michigan generally is, they certainly havent been the past couple seasons.

UNHFootballAlum
December 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=UNH_Alum_In_CT;1268329]I tried to send you a Private Message (PM), but you must have them disabled.

I will enable the private message on AGS. I often view the proboards, but I have not posted anythng there. Lets continue to discuss

UNHFootballAlum
December 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Do you really think ESPN will give more then a passing mention to a Oklahoma vs New Hampshire game? We wouldnt be hearing about it all week on ESPN.

Wisconsin and Iowa are not in the class of Oklahoma, and while Michigan generally is, they certainly havent been the past couple seasons.

Wisconsin is top 10 every year and Michigan is one of the top programs, but you are missing the point. The schools that we compete against yearly in the playoffs are playing these teams and UNH is employing a different philosophy. Is it time for us to begin to play a higher caliber of FBS like an Oklahoma or another top tier program.

Like I said, I work in media and yes we have a story to be told with our offense consistenly being a top performer in FCS and our connection to Chip Kelly and his brilliance at Oregon. I think that they spend more than a passing moment talking about the game. Do I thnk that it will be covered like a Oklahoma V Texas game, no, but it will get more air time and discussion that UNH v Army

rcny46
December 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Wisconsin is top 10 every year and Michigan is one of the top programs, but you are missing the point. The schools that we compete against yearly in the playoffs are playing these teams and UNH is employing a different philosophy. Is it time for us to begin to play a higher caliber of FBS like an Oklahoma or another top tier program.

Like I said, I work in media and yes we have a story to be told with our offense consistenly being a top performer in FCS and our connection to Chip Kelly and his brilliance at Oregon. I think that they spend more than a passing moment talking about the game. Do I thnk that it will be covered like a Oklahoma V Texas game, no, but it will get more air time and discussion that UNH v Army

If you lose by 40 or 50 points what good does the air time do? I like seeing them play the FBS schools,but if they got away from that,and were able to schedule top level OOC FCS teams every year,I'd be happy with that.
BTW,were you a WR when you played for the Wildcats?

UNHFootballAlum
December 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM

I was a SS when I played for the Wildcats. I would love to make it to more games, but I live tgoo far to ge to very many games. i'd love to see UNH come to california again to play.

My whole attitude about playing a top level FBS is trying to do something different to spark some interest from people who have the finances to get us a new stadium and facilities. How do we do that before we lose the momentum that has been built over the last 4-5 years.

UNHFootballAlum
December 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=rcny46;1268494]If you lose by 40 or 50 points what good does the air time do?

I go back to my earlier comment about the Cal Polys, App St and UNi's of the FCs who schedule these opponents and more often than not are competitive. Even Northeastern has stepped up their schedule. They have not always gotten blown out when playing tough FBS programs.

rcny46
December 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=rcny46;1268494]If you lose by 40 or 50 points what good does the air time do?

I go back to my earlier comment about the Cal Polys, App St and UNi's of the FCs who schedule these opponents and more often than not are competitive. Even Northeastern has stepped up their schedule. They have not always gotten blown out when playing tough FBS programs.

I think you make a valid point about adding top level FBS teams to the schedule as far as generating more interest in the UNH program is concerned,and I can't deny that other schools at our level have had reasonable success against the big guys.I guess that when I saw that Oklahoma and Florida were mentioned as possible additions to next year's schedule,I cringed,thinking that the top tier of FBS ( Texas,USC,Ohio St. and a few others) would be more than UNH could handle.Anyway,I hope that Marty Scorano can find two opponents for next season to fill out the schedule at 11.Trying to find the right match ups,even at this early date,for only a few open dates at the beginning might be difficult.

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM

Yup!! And beat the FBS Team thats what UNH Does!! So I dont want Penn Stae who I have fist hand knowledge is the call and I dont want the other team who is top SEC... sorry dont want to expose someone. So!!! UNH will do the right thing! Pick a mid level FBS team take the 300 to 400K with a win!

santosballnewhampshire
December 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
I just hope we get a mid level FBS team and A decent FCS home game.....we never get the old ooc home games I was used to as a kid (albany doesnt count)

UNI Pike
December 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Detroit Lions are looking for a winnable game, but you may have too much game for them.

UNHFan
December 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Detroit Lions are looking for a winnable game, but you may have too much game for them.

Thanks for almost making me choke on my Breakfast!!

UNHFan
January 9th, 2009, 08:30 AM
If you lose by 40 or 50 points what good does the air time do? I like seeing them play the FBS schools,but if they got away from that,and were able to schedule top level OOC FCS teams every year,I'd be happy with that.

Your so right!

Why doesnt the FCS appreciate what it has? instead of playing FBS why not Delaware at App UNH at Montana ect..Trust me!! I am sure a deal could be cut to make money. You give me any top 10 teams in the FCS Playing out off conference I'll watch!