PDA

View Full Version : I Hate The Media...

Rekdiver
December 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Specifically, I watched both playoff games and thoroughly enjoyed them. Announced well and excellent camera work. The idiots still can't pronounce "Appalachian" correctly but that's not why I was aggravated.

I picked up our local rag, The Charlotte Observer and there was not a mention of either game. The've covered ASU well but to not give respect to our Division really pissed me off. It's not like it was a busy sports weekend around here (except for our Carolina Panthers)....

At least ESPN seems to get it now.....

mountaineer_dax
December 16th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Don't worry. Appalachian isn't the only sports team that gets screwed on coverage in the Charlotte Disturber. There local collegiate team Charlotte gets screwed on coverage almost daily. They'd rather run a article on something no name than cover something with substance.

Get in touch with Mike Persinger.

[email protected]

Complain to him. He'll Definitely here you out. Just be civilized when contacting him. He loves playing the "Devil's Advocate".

Appinator
December 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM
You are right that the Observer lacks a lot of FCS coverage, and it could be an easy fix for them if they just took the time to post major AP stories about FCS teams. Another thing that would be great: a writer that is totally dedicated to FCS programs in the region. Let the guy know that practically nowhere else in the country is there a more concentrated group of FCS teams than in our area. Tons of alumni from all these schools are in Charlotte.

The Observer actually gives great ASU coverage for football. Even before our national championship run, they had a full front page special naming us "The Carolinas' Best" football program. Huge picture of KBS and everything. What is funny to read are the "comments" on the articles in the sports section. Watching NCSU fans trying to complain that App is getting too much coverage and that people should be paying more attention to a team who barely won 6 games and is going to the papajohns.com bowl.

Russell Wilson sucks.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
there was squat on ESPN's site. The bracket that does have a sort of link on the front page of the college football page, didn't even have the score of the UNI/Richmond game on it Sunday morning. xsmhx

andy7171
December 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I know you are supposed to pronounce things the way the native population does, but I would bet that the majority of the American public pronounces it Appalayshun not Appalatchun.

Just sayin'.

And for the record I pronounce it the way you guys do now and get weird looks.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I know you are supposed to pronounce things the way the native population does, but I would bet that the majority of the American public pronounces it Appalayshun not Appalatchun.

Just sayin'.

Just change it to Appy, everyone can pronounce that. xsmiley_wix

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Specifically, I watched both playoff games and thoroughly enjoyed them. Announced well and excellent camera work. The idiots still can't pronounce "Appalachian" correctly but that's not why I was aggravated.

People get touchy about being called NIU around here. It was hilarious seeing some of the reactions when they actually rolled (along the bottom line) that Northern Illinois University would be playing Maine in the first round.
Add to it that they have been known to refer to us as out of Cedar Rapids (which is a city about an hour south of Cedar Falls, where UNI is). We feel your frustration.

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I forgot to mention Doug Gottlieb's reference to one of our basketball players (Grant Stout), who had a pretty standard haircut, as a "good old Iowa boy haircut," along with some reference to the farm. That mid-major hating prick.

eaglewithabus
December 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I think catching the shaft from local media outlets is pretty much the case nationwide for fcs schools, Montana may be an exception, Im not sure.

bobbythekidd
December 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think catching the shaft from local media outlets is pretty much the case nationwide for fcs schools, Montana may be an exception, Im not sure.
Using the same logic, I assume Delaware, Rhode Island, and Maine are not excluded.

IaaScribe
December 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
You are right that the Observer lacks a lot of FCS coverage, and it could be an easy fix for them if they just took the time to post major AP stories about FCS teams. Another thing that would be great: a writer that is totally dedicated to FCS programs in the region. Let the guy know that practically nowhere else in the country is there a more concentrated group of FCS teams than in our area. Tons of alumni from all these schools are in Charlotte.

The Observer actually gives great ASU coverage for football. Even before our national championship run, they had a full front page special naming us "The Carolinas' Best" football program. Huge picture of KBS and everything. What is funny to read are the "comments" on the articles in the sports section. Watching NCSU fans trying to complain that App is getting too much coverage and that people should be paying more attention to a team who barely won 6 games and is going to the papajohns.com bowl.

Russell Wilson sucks.

Hi. Newspaper writer here. As great as that would be to see, it's just completely unrealistic in a time where newspapers everywhere are laying people off and are staffed at a bare bones level. We cover one FCS program and two FBS schools. The writer who covered one of the FBS schools left to take another job, and he wasn't replaced. So I've picked up coverage of said school's MBB team, along with my regular duties of covering all sports at the FCS schools. Not ideal, but we're not getting a replacement on staff.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. The newspaper industry is in a state of transformation, and nothing will be the same as it was five years ago. I understand your frustrations, but unfortunately, there's not much that can be done. Like every other business, newspapers are run by soulless beancounters who don't give two *****s about good coverage. Bottom line, baby. And it's shrinking.

bandl
December 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Just change it to Appy, everyone can pronounce that. xsmiley_wix

That's what I do. xnodx 'Course, I know how to pronounce it all 3 ways.

Anyone remember how really, really, really pissy some of the Appy folk were about 3 years ago when everyone started calling them that?? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AshevilleApp2
December 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I picked up our local rag, The Charlotte Observer and there was not a mention of either game. The've covered ASU well but to not give respect to our Division really pissed me off. It's not like it was a busy sports weekend around here (except for our Carolina Panthers)....

The Observer did carry a short article about the UNI-Richmond game in the Sunday edition that made it to the mountains. Not much, but at least a mention.

SideLine Shooter
December 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM

I thought all they printed was the carolina TARHOLES!

argh!
December 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
speaking of espn, the commentary during the montana/jmu game was great. the announcers had done some homework, and did not ramble on endlessly about the fbs.

conversely, the uni-richmond announcers (rod gilmore) did not do such a hot job. indeed, i cannot for the life of me understand why gilmore calls i-aa games, as he clearly doesn't think much of the division, and would rather talk heisman, etc etc...

appfan2008
December 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
it is sad the coverage we all get but it is what it is and we should be happy with what we can get

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
speaking of espn, the commentary during the montana/jmu game was great. the announcers had done some homework, and did not ramble on endlessly about the fbs.

conversely, the uni-richmond announcers (rod gilmore) did not do such a hot job. indeed, i cannot for the life of me understand why gilmore calls i-aa games, as he clearly doesn't think much of the division, and would rather talk heisman, etc etc...

Agreed on the JMU/Montana game. The piece on MM's son was pretty cool. Couldn't tell you about the UNI broadcast, as I will never ever see it. Sitting on the 50 watching that TE make the catch in the endzone was bad enough the first time.

Appinator
December 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hi. Newspaper writer here. As great as that would be to see, it's just completely unrealistic in a time where newspapers everywhere are laying people off and are staffed at a bare bones level. We cover one FCS program and two FBS schools. The writer who covered one of the FBS schools left to take another job, and he wasn't replaced. So I've picked up coverage of said school's MBB team, along with my regular duties of covering all sports at the FCS schools. Not ideal, but we're not getting a replacement on staff.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. The newspaper industry is in a state of transformation, and nothing will be the same as it was five years ago. I understand your frustrations, but unfortunately, there's not much that can be done. Like every other business, newspapers are run by soulless beancounters who don't give two *****s about good coverage. Bottom line, baby. And it's shrinking.

I know that newspapers across the land are all probably hurting right now financially, but I just figured that the Observer might have a few more notches in its belt left than other regional or local papers. Their website is pretty good and it has to be a substantial revenue source, and they don't normally have the cries for help with their checkbook in their editorial sections that other big papers have.

I would think the additional coverage would bring additional revenue, but I guess I'm being an idealist.

Appinator
December 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM

When Gilmore tried to bring up why the bowl system was better, I wanted to throw my remote across the room. "I think the bowls are better because at the end of the day, the playoffs only make 1 team happy. With the bowl system, 32 teams go home happy and have something to grow on." Indeed Gilmore, here is your son's engraved 5th place tee-ball trophy too.

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
When Gilmore tried to bring up why the bowl system was better, I wanted to throw my remote across the room. "I think the bowls are better because at the end of the day, the playoffs only make 1 team happy. With the bowl system, 32 teams go home happy and have something to grow on." Indeed Gilmore, here is your son's engraved 5th place tee-ball trophy too.

Exactly. If you want to win a bowl, enter a raffle at Crate and Barrel. I'd rather be playing for a shot at the national championship.

james_lawfirm
December 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Just sayin'.

Don't get us App fans started on this argument. Just sayin'.

For the record, MANY more folks know how to pronounce it now than before the Michigan game. Given a few more years, I remain hopeful that everyone else will know too.

And, you probably would have gotten the weird look anyway. (I had to add that.)

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM
And, you probably would have gotten the weird look anyway. (I had to add that.)

You Appy fans are such kidders.

Appinator
December 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
You Appy fans are such kidders.

You NIU fans are rib ticklers

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
You NIU fans are rib ticklers

You should expect nothing less out of Cedar Rapids.

Appinator
December 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
You should expect nothing less out of Cedar Rapids.

At least they have the right state! I remember some guy from Michigan getting interviewed who thought we were from Kentucky.

phoenixphanatic21
December 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM

I've noticed both as well. I'm shocked no one still knows how to pronounce Appalachian yet. xnonono2x One day maybe.

I'm also disappointed with The Charlottte Observer's lack of FCS coverage. They will give App and big 500 word recap of their game but for Elon, they will get a 100 word recap of the game and 2 or 3 separate times they didn't even get Elon's record right. I interned with the Observer last January and I still don't understand why we (the FCS and the rest of the SoCon minus Davidson in basketball) don't get more love.

This is why I love AGS. I don't need ESPN. I get all the commentary I need right here. xnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Agreed on the JMU/Montana game. The piece on MM's son was pretty cool. Couldn't tell you about the UNI broadcast, as I will never ever see it. Sitting on the 50 watching that TE make the catch in the endzone was bad enough the first time.

Come on! I sat in those same stands last year and watched a certain "catch" yet I still watched a tape of the game after the holidays!! xnodx xnodx It will only make you stronger!! :p :p :p :p

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Come on! I sat in those same stands last year and watched a certain "catch" yet I still watched a tape of the game after the holidays!! xnodx xnodx It will only make you stronger!! :p :p :p :p

Difference is that we had a Peyton finalist. Their QB wasn't expected to make those kind of drives happen. Either way, I should study for my final at 5.

ASUTed
December 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Russell Wilson sucks.

In this economy we are lucky App has a beat writer, a FCS writer is really just not in the budget i imagine.

Peems
December 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM

During the JMU game, I had the TV muted and the radio on and our local color guy Scott Gurnsey, shouts out in the middle of the broadcast "There's a guy in a wheelchair out in the field, what is going on?!?!?!?" Of course neither of the guys knew that it was MM's son and they were totally confused and thought the stoppage of play was due to some "crazy" fan riding on to the field. I think someone in the booth told him what was up afterwards.

JohnStOnge
December 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have a prediction...kind of. Call it a conditional prediction. FCS will get all sorts of attention if Richmond wins the national championship because the Spiders have a Black head coach.

I almost hesitate to say that. I've avoided saying it in the past. But the "Black head coaches" thing keeps coming up and they're BOUND to notice if a Black head coach leads his team to the national title in FCS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it mentioned during the national title game broadcast.

The guy has done one heck of a job. That's one reason why I hesitated to bring race into it. But it's always lurking just below the surface and when the media see that angle they're going to jump on it. At least I think so.