PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a fire

URMite
December 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I know most people on here know this story, but I was thinking about it again.

Was it March 05, when the former president at Richmond met with the team to inform them "We are moving to the Patriot League because you guys can't compete in the CAA." ?

In the 4 seasons since, a quarter final, a semi final, and NC appearance. Even the down year started 5-1 with a shutout of a "technical" BCS before being derailed by offensive injuries and inexperience.

That time seems so far away with the amazing progress as a program.

AshevilleApp2
December 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I know most people on here know this story, but I was thinking about it again.

Was it March 05, when the former president at Richmond met with the team to inform them "We are moving to the Patriot League because you guys can't compete in the CAA." ?

In the 4 seasons since, a quarter final, a semi final, and NC appearance. Even the down year started 5-1 with a shutout of a "technical" BCS before being derailed by offensive injuries and inexperience.

That time seems so far away with the amazing progress as a program.

It is impressive. And if you win Friday night you'll have the best program in the country over the past two seasons. xnodx

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Good riddance, Cooper.

The "off year" was critical to where we are now, I believe. We had the undefeated #1 UNH team on their heels at their house, our freshman QB tried to make a play where there wasn't one, fumbles and UNH gets a TD. The wheels came off on the season after that, but watching the development of Ward has been extremely satisfying. I think the Spiders will still be a force next year.

appfan2008
December 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM
very impressive turnaround...

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM
It is impressive. And if you win Friday night you'll have the best program in the country over the past two seasons. xnodx

Well UR is the only team to advance to the semis the past two years.

Check this out:
Best postseason records past two years:
ASU 5-1 (only loss to UR, by 20 points)
UR 5-1 (only loss to ASU, by 20 points) xeekx

eaglewithabus
December 16th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I dont remember hearing much about this instance. I take it this "president" no longer holds his office? Quite a turn around.

ASUMountaineer
December 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Well UR is the only team to advance to the semis the past two years.

Check this out:
Best postseason records past two years:
ASU 5-1 (only loss to UR, by 20 points)
UR 5-1 (only loss to ASU, by 20 points) xeekx

Damn straight. xnodx

SunCoastBlueHen
December 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Dave Clawson certainly deserves a lot of credit for turning the Spider's program around in a realtively short period of time. That guy knows how to build a winning program and will do an outstanding job at Bowling Green.

Mike London certainly looks as if he will continue to build a winning tradition at Richmond. The future looks bright for the Spiders. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
December 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Memo

To: Richmond

You're welcome xcoolx

WVAPPmountaineer
December 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Isn't it amazing how much effect a university leader can have on the football program - I don't think APP has grown in prominence in the last few years just because of Richie Williams and Armanti, etc. - Chancellor Peacock has embraced the program and is its top cheerleader - We see other schools in the SoCon where the school president wouldn't consider leaving his air-conditioned box with all his big spender buddies to come down with the common people ---

bostonspider
December 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Good riddance, Cooper.

The "off year" was critical to where we are now, I believe. We had the undefeated #1 UNH team on their heels at their house, our freshman QB tried to make a play where there wasn't one, fumbles and UNH gets a TD. The wheels came off on the season after that, but watching the development of Ward has been extremely satisfying. I think the Spiders will still be a force next year.

Well I think it was the Delaware game where the wheels came of the season. UR had a nice lead and was going for more, when after a 78 yard run Vaughn coughs up the ball at the two and it hits the pylon when going out of bounds to give UD the touchback. UR seemed completely deflated and in the end UD scored the last 14 points to win 28-24.

hippy@GSU
December 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM
If only I could say great things like this for our higher-ups!! Good job Richmond!!!

Tribe4SF
December 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
xthumbsupx The Spiders rise has been nothing short of remarkable. The tiny school, with high academic standards, limited walk-ons, and virtually no transfers, emerges from the brutal CAA South as a national power.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Dave Clawson certainly deserves a lot of credit for turning the Spider's program around in a realtively short period of time. That guy knows how to build a winning program and will do an outstanding job at Bowling Green.

Mike London certainly looks as if he will continue to build a winning tradition at Richmond. The future looks bright for the Spiders. xnodx

I agree on both Clawson and London. If you guys keep having this success with young coaches...it'll be like a revolving door to the FBS!!

Seriously, I think London is and will continue to be an attractive candidate for a LOT of FBS schools. I hope he likes coaching at his alma mater.

SpiderFan
December 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately I'm worried about Al Groh getting fired after next year (good certainty) and UVA come calling for their previous Def Coord...hopefully Mike really likes coaching at his alma mater.

AshevilleApp2
December 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Isn't it amazing how much effect a university leader can have on the football program - I don't think APP has grown in prominence in the last few years just because of Richie Williams and Armanti, etc. - Chancellor Peacock has embraced the program and is its top cheerleader - We see other schools in the SoCon where the school president wouldn't consider leaving his air-conditioned box with all his big spender buddies to come down with the common people ---

Chancellor Peacock is certainly a good cheerleader but I don't agree that his support has made the difference in our football fortunes. The biggest change, IMO, has been the change to the spread option offense. We had some very talented teams in the past that were held back by a conservative offensive scheme. xpeacex