PDA

View Full Version : Espn.com idiots

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Espn.com has a thing where you can rank the top rivalries in college football. They have Lehigh-Lafayette as one of the choices and for the picture they use a photo of a Lousiana-Lafayette player?

linl:Here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=386)

LeopardFan04
November 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
That's a good first step I guess...the other day they didn't even have LC/LU on that list... :eek:

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
:lmao:

As a Lehigh fan you have to think that is funny. :p

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Stupid-azzed, I-A biased poll. Lehigh-Lafayette #21 of 21? Harvard-Yale #12 of 21? A total joke.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM
stupid professional sports reporters. what about Clemson/Carolina? They've been playing since 1901(I think).

blur2005
November 18th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I voted in the poll, and I was sad to see that Lehigh-Lafayette was last overall. If people knew this was the oldest D-I rivalry, I'm sure it would've been higher.

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 01:30 PM
ESPN is a joke, period. During their '50 state in 50 days', they didn't even decide to include Washington, D.C. until after the Mayor personally protested around day 25-30, and thousand of write-ins from DC and DC-area residents. YOu all know DC...the home of the Washington Redskins, the Washington Bullets (I don't say that other 'W' word they are now known by), the DC United, the Washington Capitals, and the Washington Nationals. One of the few markets in the whole country with all 5 major sports (argue over Soccer and Hockey on another thread!!). Not to mention the University of Maryland, Georgetown, American University, George Washington University. Total used douches, those people at ESPN. :mad:

NoCoDanny
November 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
DC isn't a state so why would they be included in a 50 states promotion?

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM
DC isn't a state so why would they be included in a 50 states promotion?

Neither is Virginia...it's a commonwealth.

And DC and it's glory is the greatest IN ALL THE LAND!!!!

bulldog10jw
I voted in the poll, and I was sad to see that Lehigh-Lafayette was last overall. If people knew this was the oldest D-I rivalry, I'm sure it would've been higher.

not oldest, most played.

MarkCCU
DC is a district. and you forgot Catholic University :D

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
DC is a district. and you forgot Catholic University :D

You, sir, are correct!

Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky & Massachusetts are all commonwealths.

So the correct title for ESPN should have been "46 states, 4 commonwealths and 1 District in 51 days!!"

Smelly douches.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
You, sir, are correct!

Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky & Massachusetts are all commonwealths.

So the correct title for ESPN should have been "46 states, 4 commonwealths and 1 District in 51 days!!"

Smelly douches.

You sire are correct as well,
But Texas is really a Republic and still have the legal right to leave the Union(just like every state has the constitutional right to secede)
So it should be "45 states, 4 commonwealths, 1 republic and 1 district in 51 days"

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 01:49 PM
YOu all know DC...the home of... University of Maryland
Did the District annex College Park? :confused: :p

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Did the District annex College Park? :confused: :p
Bah. So I got a little carried away by including Maryland!! I have no idea why I included them...I should know better! Maybe it's because I go to see them at the MCI Center in the BB&T Classic men's basketball tourney every year??? Whatever...I need to drink more. Or less.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
And for the "honor students" I went to high school with, we better include Puerto Rico, Mexico and Canada b/c apparently those are states as well. Yeah, college park isn't in DC. Maryland gave land to become DC but not that much..lol

headdressguy
November 18th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Bah. So I got a little carried away by including Maryland!! I have no idea why I included them...I should know better! Maybe it's because I go to see them at the MCI Center in the BB&T Classic men's basketball tourney every year??? Whatever...I need to drink more. Or less.

I vote for more :D :beerchug:

ASU Kep
November 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
ESPN sucks, though I watch it all the time because there's not much in terms of an alternative...it really pissed me off last week when they talked about LSU's "blow-out" win over us and gave the impression JaMarcus never even entered the game when in reality he was in the whole time...suck it, ESPN.

Cheevy
November 18th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Neither is Virginia...it's a commonwealth.

Why do the cruisers all have "State Trooper" on the them.

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM

You should have just stopped at 'cruisers'. They aren't the brains of the operations, thank god :cool:

Cheevy
November 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM
But Texas is really a Republic and still have the legal right to leave the Union

Horry County is an "independent republic". How can a county be a republic? Does that really mean anything (kind of like the Conch Republic)?

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Horry County is an "independent republic". How can a county be a republic? Does that really mean anything (kind of like the Conch Republic)?

Where in the F&CK is Horry County?? :confused: Or Conch? Sounds like the czech republic to me. :D

And pardon my language. That's the alc-y talking.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM
That, is a great question. :confused: :nod:

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 02:29 PM
It is the Republic of Texas, not the state. and Horry County is where Coastal Carolina Uni. is in. Conway, SC.

Cheevy
November 18th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Where in the F&CK is Horry County?? :confused: Or Conch? Sounds like the czech republic to me. :D

And pardon my language. That's the alc-y talking.

CCU is in Horry County. Conch Republic is a group of Key West residents who seceded (not really) from the US because of excessive border patrol road blocks & searches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_republic

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM
TU, I added an action itm on my blog for this. If you're reading this, vote early, vote often. And don't forget to tell the dopes at ESPN.com to actually do a bit of f***ing research when putting something on their website!

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

SpiritCymbal
November 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Stupid-azzed, I-A biased poll. Lehigh-Lafayette #21 of 21? Harvard-Yale #12 of 21? A total joke.
I had Lehigh-Lafayette at #20 in my poll. To be honest, I had no idea that there was a rivalry between the two schools....and I'm a supposed I-AA fan. Think about the millions that don't even pay attention to I-AA. The poll was about the "best" rivalry, not the oldest, most played, etc....I had the Yale-Harvard at #10 I think.

I was suprised that the largest Out-Door Cocktail Party was so low at #8.

November 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM
... the largest Out-Door Cocktail Party...Whatever that is... :confused: Must be an NAIA thing.

ASU Kep
November 18th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Whatever that is... :confused: Must be an NAIA thing.

I love I-AA football, but thats a DAMN good time, ralph.

windwalker
November 18th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Because they couldn't spell Commonwealth???? ROFL

November 18th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I love I-AA football, but thats a DAMN good time, ralph.I seriously don't know what it is.

Cheevy
November 18th, 2005, 07:15 PM
The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is the annual Florida/Georgia game played in Jacksonville, FL

Cheevy
November 18th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Because they couldn't spell Commonwealth???? ROFL

Yeah or because it would probably stretch all the way around the back of the frickin cruiser.

lugo02
November 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM
on the same page ESPN has ND leading the ND-USC game
42-0-5

Didn't USC beat ND this year and last year?

ngineer
November 18th, 2005, 07:53 PM
not oldest, most played.

A correct point,, which begs the question as to which is now the oldest, continuallycontinually played rivalry? Rutgers/Princeton was the oldest until that disappeared a number of years ago (began in 1869). Lehigh/Lafayette began in 1884. Would it be Yale & Harvard?

Tod
November 18th, 2005, 07:54 PM
It is the Republic of Texas, not the state. and Horry County is where Coastal Carolina Uni. is in. Conway, SC.

Is it Texas Commonwealth University, or Texas State University? There are 50 states, period. Otherwise, they are not a part of the United STATES of America. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM
A correct point,, which begs the question as to which is now the oldest, continuallycontinually played rivalry? Rutgers/Princeton was the oldest until that disappeared a number of years ago (began in 1869). Lehigh/Lafayette began in 1884. Would it be Yale & Harvard?

Lehigh/Lafayette *may* also hold that title. They have played every year since 1897, and tomorrow will make it 108 straight years.

Tod
November 18th, 2005, 08:06 PM
bandl, who's the fine looking young lady in your new avatar?

November 18th, 2005, 08:42 PM
The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is the annual Florida/Georgia game played in Jacksonville, FLAre those football playing institutions? Is that a football event? They aren't in the highest NCAA football championship category, that's for sure. :p

Cheevy
November 18th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Are those football playing institutions? Is that a football event? They aren't in the highest NCAA football championship category, that's for sure. :p

If not football then what do you call it? BCSball?

LeopardFan04
November 18th, 2005, 10:38 PM
On top of the Louisiana-Lafayette picture shown...they all state that the first game was played in 1897, not 1884...

LeopardFan04
November 18th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Oh and as for the oldest/continually played,...Harvard-Yale, 1875 or so?? did they have a break in between?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Oh and as for the oldest/continually played,...Harvard-Yale, 1875 or so?? did they have a break in between?

Harvard/Yale was not played in 1943 and 1944. It must be because of WW II.

Cheevy
November 19th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Is it Texas Commonwealth University, or Texas State University? There are 50 states, period. Otherwise, they are not a part of the United STATES of America. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but Texas isn't a commonwealth. Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, & Massachusetts are commonwealths. Texas is a republic. Or are they all states? I am so confused.

Tod
November 19th, 2005, 01:22 AM
but Texas isn't a commonwealth. Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, & Massachusetts are commonwealths. Texas is a republic. Or are they all states? I am so confused.

You're right. I misspoke. But I think my point is made. States may have other ways of referring to themselves, and commonwealth or republic may have some legal or political meanings, but they are still states.

Edit - Still have Penn State to make my point, right?

rokamortis
November 19th, 2005, 01:23 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=commonwealth

The people of a nation or state; the body politic.
A nation or state governed by the people; a republic.
Used to refer to some U.S. states, namely, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

Tod
November 19th, 2005, 01:28 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=commonwealth

Still states. Do I really need to list how many ways these, uh, areas of the country are referred to as states? Are they treated as states, equally with the others? I think so. They are states.

Cheevy
November 19th, 2005, 01:33 AM
You're right. I misspoke. But I think my point is made. States may have other ways of referring to themselves, and commonwealth or republic may have some legal or political meanings, but they are still states.

Edit - Still have Penn State to make my point, right?

Hey I wasn't trying to make a point. I am genuinely interested in the meanings of all these titles (states & counties) ... & what about such "territories" as Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands? Where do they fit into all of this?

But this is probably a topic for another thread on the "AGS Lounge" board.

ASU Kep
November 19th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Yah, does Puerto Rico have State Police?

rokamortis
November 19th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Still states. Do I really need to list how many ways these, uh, areas of the country are referred to as states? Are they treated as states, equally with the others? I think so. They are states.

I was supporting you buddy - I agree.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Yah, does Puerto Rico have State Police?

Good question. I know they are a protectorate. They are like a Diet State. All of the benefits, none of the taxes.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2005, 06:48 AM

actually, Harvard is not Yale's most played opponent. That would be Princeton who Yale has played 126 times. Today is the 121st Yale Harvard game. Yale and Princeton though had a couple of breaks during both the 1st and 2nd world wars.