PDA

View Full Version : Is the spread..... Dead???

appstate38
December 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Two of the best spread option teams got beaten buy teams who use a more tradition offensive style. Injuries to the QB's ultimately did them in. Is the spread dead or did power offense make a come back???

Just for clarity Spread -JMU, ASU
Power - Montana, Richmond

Touchdown Yosef
December 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Yes, bring back Joe Burchette and the power I.

Of course if this is the case (which its not see Alabama v. Florida) then Michigan would once again be behind the curve after just changing.

BlueHen86
December 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I don't know if it's dead, but it was covered this weekend.:p

mrfeem
December 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
no the spread is not dead. it has been called a lot of things over the years
i am getting ready to tell my age but in my era it was called the single wing later in the 80's it was called the run and shoot and now it is called the spread. they all are based on same principles. any offense has the potential to be lethal if it is executed to its full potential.

neersnbeers
December 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
bo. It just requires the signal caller to be 100%. They make the calls.

93henfan
December 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The beauty of the spread is that you can still score points quickly late in games. The Delaware Wing-T under Tubby Raymond was a wonderful offense and baffled a lot of opponents, but whenever you got down by more than a score you had no quick strike ability to get back in the game.

The spread is here to stay.

madisonfan87
December 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The spread will be back I guarantee it. App and JMU lost their games for other reasons than because they used the spread offense.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's dead. Football tends to be cyclical. The offense will get the advantage for a while and the defense will adjust to it. Then the offense will adjust to the defense, and on it goes. I think teams are getting better at defending it right now maybe, but it will still be around with a few tweaks here and there.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Uh, I don't think Florida and Oklahoma are going to revamp their offenses before the BCS title game just because they saw Appy St and JMU lose these past weekends. If JMU had a better defense they'd still be playing.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Uh, I don't think Florida and Oklahoma are going to revamp their offenses before the BCS title game just because they saw Appy St and JMU lose these past weekends. If JMU had a better defense they'd still be playing.

Trade you one of our QB's for your defense xnodx

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM

I agree. If anything our game showed how effective a back-up could be in the system. I'm not saying that Landers was a product of the system, he was a special player that vastly improved the system. Only saying that Dudzik's performance showed that with the right personnel in other places, it's a system that athletic skill players can thrive in right away.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Trade you one of our QB's for your defense xnodx

Nah, we'll keep our defense, add in Devlin at QB, and see you guys in Newark next year!! xthumbsupx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Nah, we'll keep our defense, add in Devlin at QB, and see you guys in Newark next year!! xthumbsupx

No offense, but I hope he tanks when you guys play us next year. Save that I hope he turns out good for you guys. Before the hen faithful hang somebody...

JMU Newbill
December 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to who stopped JMU's spread offense? Last time I checked, JMU racked up 400+ yards of offense and 27 points against Montana. Granted, we needed 36 points to win, but I would hardly call giving up 400 yards of offense a poor offensive performance.

UD77
December 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
At Delaware the spread is not dead but this year is smelled that way.xoopsx

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM
At Delaware the spread is not dead but this year is smelled that way.xoopsx

This year it was a light hummus...

Add some Devlin'ed Eggs and it'll be alright...

(I am so sorry. That was a really poor attempt at pun humor...twice)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to who stopped JMU's spread offense? Last time I checked, JMU racked up 400+ yards of offense and 27 points against Montana. Granted, we needed 36 points to win, but I would hardly call giving up 400 yards of offense a poor offensive performance.

I'll put it in PC terms since the mods are on the war path ;) You guys stopped yourselves by fumbling 4 times and there were some dropped passes and goal line stands that did stop you enough. (Not gonna go into all the reason for the last sentence happening or who caused what :D ) The only stats that count are points. I dont' think anyone was calling your offensive performance poor, quite the opposite. More like stopped enough to get beat. xpeacex

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'll put it in PC terms since the mods are on the war path ;) You guys stopped yourselves by fumbling 4 times and there we some dropped passes and goal line stands that did stop you enough. (Not gonna go into all the reason for the last sentence happening or who caused what :D ) The only stats that count are points. I dont' think anyone was calling your offensive performance poor, quite the opposite. More like stopped enough to get beat. xpeacex

I think he was relating it to the Spread and the fact that since JMU racked up those type of yards you couldn't blame the offensive "system" for failing. Thus, the spread not being dead.

ASUMountaineer
December 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Yes, bring back Joe Burchette and the power I.

Of course if this is the case (which its not see Alabama v. Florida) then Michigan would once again be behind the curve after just changing.

NO. I can run a faster 40 than he can. xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I think he was relating it to the Spread and the fact that since JMU racked up those type of yards you couldn't blame the offensive "system" for failing. Thus, the spread not being dead.

My bad then xpeacex

I don't think the spread is dead by any means, it will remain and can work when the matchups are favorable. Some teams will do better than others stopping it and running it. That's why we play the game and enjoy it. I do think towards the end of that game, the spread did hurt you a bit. You guys don't pass as much as a traditional team and when you are behind and have to get a lot of points in a short time, you have to throw the ball more. xtwocentsx

JMU Newbill
December 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Correct.

KiddBrewer
December 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.

let me think...............NO!xrolleyesx

MountainMan
December 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
It seems like ASU and JMU both averaged right at 40 points a game this year. I don't see any reason to think it is dead.

bluehenbillk
December 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The spread isn't dead, look at Florida. If JMU could hold onto the ball they'd still be playing, turnovers knocked them out 2 yrs in a row.

MacThor
December 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I'd like to see a college team break out the A-11.

OL FU
December 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
god I hope not, we just converted to the spread. I assumed in 2009 we would figure out how to call more than five plays out of it. xrolleyesx

MplsBison
December 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've been toying with the idea of a spread triple option play. I think it might work:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9336/stozh7.jpg

West Virginia sorta ran something like this. Except they don't pitch it. They have a true full back and a true half back as the split backs and the QB either handed it off or ran with it.

fencer24
December 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM

The way that Dudzik ran the spread would probably have been more effective over the course of the year than the way Landers did. The spread opens up and allows passing that your replacement seemed to be better at, even if his receivers weren't.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
JMU runs a really weird Spread.. Unbalanced lines and what not out of the shot gun.. i't's pretty cool to watch (not when they're driving down the field though)

UNH SUPERFAN
December 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Two of the best spread option teams got beaten buy teams who use a more tradition offensive style. Injuries to the QB's ultimately did them in. Is the spread dead or did power offense make a come back???

??? When I watched Richmond they looked like a spread team to me.

Reign of Terrier
December 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Why can't we all just be like Wofford and blend both together?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
My bad then xpeacex

I don't think the spread is dead by any means, it will remain and can work when the matchups are favorable. Some teams will do better than others stopping it and running it. That's why we play the game and enjoy it. I do think towards the end of that game, the spread did hurt you a bit. You guys don't pass as much as a traditional team and when you are behind and have to get a lot of points in a short time, you have to throw the ball more. xtwocentsx

I don't think JMU throws the ball as much as the average spread team. Or maybe I have a different viewpoint from watching the UNH version of the spread. :p

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I don't think JMU throws the ball as much as the average spread team. Or maybe I have a different viewpoint from watching the UNH version of the spread. :p

JMU doesn't throw the ball much at all.........let alone against other spread teams. So you would be correct. Just our style of play. Although expect to see more passing with Duzdik.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Considering true spread is something like Texas Tech or SMU runs I think maybe it never really took off.

This hybrid is considered "spread option" which is definitely not dead. Teams are going to keep running it, and teams will continue to win with it. I think this year in FCS just proved you have to have a very capable quarterback to successfully run this hybrid offense. Just ask Rich Rod he had no success because he had no quarterback.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
JMU runs a really weird Spread.. Unbalanced lines and what not out of the shot gun.. i't's pretty cool to watch (not when they're driving down the field though)

Well wouldn't that technically be considered the single wing then?

WrenFGun
December 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I think the spread is essential at the FCS level, particularly the teams who aren't getting the best of the FCS recruits (take New Hampshire, for example). UNH has had one of the most prolific options in FCS over the last five seasons because they catered their spread offense to the quality of recruits they could get. They cannot get 6'2 WR's with speed on the outside, so they've gone to the little speedy great athletes and attempt to get them the ball in space.

If an FCS school can get a bunch of big offensive lineman and a powerful running game, then run the pro-set. If you have three great athletes at QB/RB, run the option. But the spread is still the best option for teams with undersized but skilled WR's who thrive in open space.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Same/similar to WVU.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM

ASU & JMU lost because of 11-0. It had nothing to do with the spread.

GATA
December 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM
It's amazing how App State loses a playoff game and now there is a thread talking about the spread offense being dead...what nonsense.

I think App State fans have really lost touch.

The spread is about as dead as the flexbone.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
JMU doesn't throw the ball much at all.........let alone against other spread teams. So you would be correct. Just our style of play. Although expect to see more passing with Duzdik.

JMU avg about 65 plays a game, about 49 rush, 16 pass, about a 76/24% run/pass ratio. (689 rushing plays, 219 passing in 14 games). I wouldn't call that hardly throwing the ball much at all. That would be the case if JMU ran the flexbone.

I do agree we'll see a little more passing with Dudzick or Thorpe, whichever one is the starter next season, maybe to the tune of 30%+ passing, 20+ passes a game.

I Bleed Purple
December 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Why can't we all just be like Wofford and blend both together?

Weber does that. We'll go from spread, to power I, to single back, two tight end sets in three plays. We'll also split five wide, or go into run and shoot formation with four wide and a single back. Ran some pistol formations as well.

Shellin
December 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Weber does that. We'll go from spread, to power I, to single back, two tight end sets in three plays. We'll also split five wide, or go into run and shoot formation with four wide and a single back. Ran some pistol formations as well.

Yeah, I think we're going to start seeing a lot more of this, very similar to what Montana and Oklahoma do as well.

JMUDuke2002
December 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Um, no. JMU and ASU lost because of turnovers, not because of their offenses. Hell, two of JMU's turnovers were on special teams, so I don't understand why anyone would think the spread offense is somehow dead.

unhfan1
December 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Ask Chip Kelly at Oregon. 6078 total yards of offense running the spread.

Skjellyfetti
December 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Spread's dead, baby. Spread's dead.

ngineer
December 16th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Oh...you're talking football...never mind...:o ;) :D

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Oh...you're talking football...never mind...:o ;) :D

Some people were xsmiley_wix

ur2k
December 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
The spread ain't dead, it just stopped living for a little while. :D

I think you'll see many more teams pick up elements of it that work and implement it into their game plans. Considering the success of App and JMU running the spread option - teams will try and emulate it. Football is a game of copying what works (look at the 'wildcat' in the NFL this year).

GATA
December 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
The spread ain't dead, it just stopped living for a little while. :D

I think you'll see many more teams pick up elements of it that work and implement it into their game plans. Considering the success of App and JMU running the spread option - teams will try and emulate it. Football is a game of copying what works (look at the 'wildcat' in the NFL this year).

I wish people would wake up and realize that the NFL is actually behind College football when it comes to offensive innovations. That's why so many NFL coaches suck when they come to college. They bring that garbage, vanilla NFL style offense with them to college and then they can't recruit the NFL style athletes they need to win using it...

ericsaid
December 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Both of these games were lost because of turnovers.

appfan2008
December 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
stupid question IMO... the spread is not dead...

GannonFan
December 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I wish people would wake up and realize that the NFL is actually behind College football when it comes to offensive innovations. That's why so many NFL coaches suck when they come to college. They bring that garbage, vanilla NFL style offense with them to college and then they can't recruit the NFL style athletes they need to win using it...

Well, that and because NFL defenses are so big and so fast that a lot of the innovations that work at the college level wouldn't work at the NFL level. Notice the lack of option football at the NFL level, although GaTech proved it could work on a major college football setting. The Wildcat formation works in the NFL a few times, but you can't run it with your QB like you can in college. If Tebow ran like that in the NFL he wouldn't make it to his bye week without getting hurt.

mtgrizfankb
December 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Spread will never die. However i think the best O is always going to be a power oline with a solid RB that has the ablity to air it out up to 20+ times a game if needed

appfan2008
December 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Spread will never die. However i think the best O is always going to be a power oline with a solid RB that has the ablity to air it out up to 20+ times a game if needed

that is exactly what asu had the last three years with kr and we ran the spread... and i am pretty sure it worked out ok for us...

CID1990
December 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The spread doesn't work unless you have a QB that can both throw as well as run like a halfback. Those are not very pletiful once the FBS schools take their picks.

DX Man
December 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM

I think you answered your own question. The spread isn't dead. It's just that the master of the spread (Armanti Edwards) was injured. IMO

GATA
December 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Well, that and because NFL defenses are so big and so fast that a lot of the innovations that work at the college level wouldn't work at the NFL level. Notice the lack of option football at the NFL level, although GaTech proved it could work on a major college football setting. The Wildcat formation works in the NFL a few times, but you can't run it with your QB like you can in college. If Tebow ran like that in the NFL he wouldn't make it to his bye week without getting hurt.

You think NFL QB's are safe in these "pro style" offenses?

LOL. They take brutal shots all the time! And when they do, they're usually unprotected because they're in the middle of a throwing motion. I think Eli Manning got sacked like 7 or 8 times the other night and each time he didn't really have a chance to brace himself....the idea that you can't run option football in the NFL is myth made up by a bunch of morons...it's never been proven because it's absolutely false. Option QBs don't get hurt any more than other QBs because they KNOW HOW TO RUN.

Your typical NFL QB is really a pretty crappy athlete who just happens to have a cannon for an arm. If you put a REAL ATHLETE at QB like Mike Vick, Brad Smith, Tim Tebow etc... you wouldn't see QBs hurt so much.

The same retards who swore that option football couldn't work in the big bad ACC are the same idiots who think it could NEVER work in the NFL...ridiculous.

The worst part is...you have "experts" say...."Well if option football worked in the NFL, somebody would be running it by now." WRONG. NFL head coaches are afraid of criticism and if they went with an option offense it would put the pressure on them instead of putting it on the athletes. Also, nobody was running the option in the ACC before Paul Johnson showed up...and it's not because ACC coaches were so smart that they knew it wouldn't work so they didn't bother.

pbr1893
December 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I think you answered your own question. The spread isn't dead. It's just that the master of the spread (Armanti Edwards) was injured. IMO
OK, the problem with the spread and ASU was Armanti's injury and his/offensive coordinators play calling.
With Armanti going solo in the backfield, two things will happen...he'll run or throw. But guess what? Other teams knew he was hurt and covered the throw and contained an injured QB. That's why you ALWAYS!!!!!! put a back in the backfield with the QB...you make the defense honest!!!! Also, let the tightends get some passes...that really keeps the d-ends from coming in too fast. It keeps the secondary on their toes as well!!!!
I love AE!!! but he needs to be the QB first and thrower second and running back third. The wofford game utilized every aspect I've mentioned but then once AE got hurt, it limited his range but they tried to keep him as the first option and not the last. And if that's not true, then AE tried to take too much on his shoulders by himself.

JMU DUUUKES
December 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
We don't run the spread, its a "QB Read Option" .... hehe

Franks Tanks
December 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
no the spread is not dead. it has been called a lot of things over the years
i am getting ready to tell my age but in my era it was called the single wing later in the 80's it was called the run and shoot and now it is called the spread. they all are based on same principles. any offense has the potential to be lethal if it is executed to its full potential.

Bill Bellichick was speaking about the spread and said the same thing. The spread as it is run by teams like West Virginia and App is essentially a single wing offense. The single wing was invented by Glenn "pop" Warner about 100 years ago so he could better utilize the talents of some guy named Jim Thorpe at Carlisle Indian School. Old things always seem to come back in style eventually.