PDA

View Full Version : Montana Fans That Traveled to Harrisonburg

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Now that everybody has had a few days to simmer down and the low life band wagon hoppers for both teams have dispersed with the trash talking I just had a few questions to those Montana fans that traveled to the game:

1) How was your stay in Harrisonburg?

2) Did you enjoy the tailgate and JMU atmosphere? Were you treated well?

3) Curious as to how our stadium / game day atmosphere held up to other teams you have played against?

I was able to watch the game on recording after actually being there and it seemed as though the cameras did not do a very good job of showing the intensity or the noise. Slightly disappointed about that.

***The FIRST person to derail this into a flame fest be it JMU, Montana, or any other fan, I promise I will stalk you with negative feedback for a year so help me.xnonox

andy7171
December 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
1- sucked
2- I got food poisoning from the locals food and herpes from sitting in their lawn chairs
3- small

:p

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
1- sucked
2- I got food poisoning from the locals food and herpes from sitting in their lawn chairs
3- small

You would! xsmiley_wix

bandl
December 15th, 2008, 10:46 AM
1- sucked
3- small

No one wants to hear about your sexual rendezvous with the townies... xeyebrowx

Ronbo
December 15th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The following was posted on JMU's local newspaper's website. Just thought I would share.xlolx

Good game guys. Some friendly advice on smack talking from a Montana boy.
1) If you're going to ask condescendingly whether Montana even has the internet, consider doing it somewhere other than in the line for your stadium outhouses.
2) Asking "Where is Montana anyway" isn't actually as much a dig at the rural nature of our state as it is a commentary on your geography skills.
3) If you're going to yell obscenities out the window at least stick around long enough for a response instead of peeling out to get away. You're in a car. I promise, you'll win a race.
4) Shouting "The Grizzlies suck!" is fine and good before a game; even during the game. It does lose something when the game clock has expired and the team you are saying sucks has beaten your team. Best of luck next year! I'm sure we'll see you in the playoffs again - and thanks to the JMU fans that were actually gracious. December 13, 2008 2:21 PM
GrizFanBaby

GrizFamily
December 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
The following was posted on JMU's local newspaper's website. Just thought I would share.xlolx

1) If you're going to ask condescendingly whether Montana even has the internet, consider doing it somewhere other than in the line for your stadium outhouses.

That one still makes me laugh. I almost spit out my beer the first time I read it.

Seriously I read a post by Alpha and Omega (yes, don't even go there) that they had a great time and most of your fans were great hosts.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM

2) Asking "Where is Montana anyway" isn't actually as much a dig at the rural nature of our state as it is a commentary on your geography skills.
3) If you're going to yell obscenities out the window at least stick around long enough for a response instead of peeling out to get away. You're in a car. I promise, you'll win a race.
4) Shouting "The Grizzlies suck!" is fine and good before a game; even during the game. It does lose something when the game clock has expired and the team you are saying sucks has beaten your team. Best of luck next year! I'm sure we'll see you in the playoffs again - and thanks to the JMU fans that were actually gracious. December 13, 2008 2:21 PM
GrizFanBaby

all very valid points...

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM

GrizFanBaby

xlolx I betcha it was bandl yelling the 3rd one. What a coward! :p

DuckDuckGriz
December 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
From what I was reading on eGriz most of the people had a great time, and one in particular was treated very well at the JMU Alumni tailgate. They were pretty impressed with how passionate your fans are - said they got a few negative things said to them but nothing worse than what we've seen in Bozeman or Pocatello.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
From what I was reading on eGriz most of the people had a great time, and one in particular was treated very well at the JMU Alumni tailgate. They were pretty impressed with how passionate your fans are - said they got a few negative things said to them but nothing worse than what we've seen in Bozeman or Pocatello.

Well, as long as it's just words and not shoes being thrown around, people should be able to handle it :D xrotatehx

Ronbo
December 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Well, as long as it's just words and not shoes being thrown around, people should be able to handle it :D xrotatehx

Ha! It did look like Bush had played a little dodge ball or he's had the problem at home with the first lady. He didn't have a problem and seemed amused.xlolx xlolx xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Ha! It did look like Bush had played a little dodge ball or he's had the problem at home with the first lady. He didn't have a problem and seemed amused.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yea, the reaction skills he had definitely came from some form of practice before. I'm guessing from lamps by the first lady.:D

NYJMUSupporter
December 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
All I can say is that my group invited some Grizz fans over for some chili and a few brews. They told me that they were having a great time and that everyone had been very nice to them. I also know that I saw many people wishing the GRIZZ good luck in Chattanooga and safe travels. All this talk about JMU fans being classless is a bunch of bull! Are there a few bad apples? Yes! However, the vast majority of JMU fans are very respectful and demonstrate class before, during and after the game.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
All I can say is that my group invited some Grizz fans over for some chili and a few brews. They told me that they were having a great time and that everyone had been very nice to them. I also know that I saw many people wishing the GRIZZ good luck in Chattanooga and safe travels. All this talk about JMU fans being classless is a bunch of bull! Are there a few bad apples? Yes! However, the vast majority of JMU fans are very respectful and demonstrate class before, during and after the game.

I think after the game with all the build up you seen the worst out of both JMU fans and Montana fans on the message boards. The people that generally never post and are blind to anything except their own opinion of what transpired.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM

I liked his quote about it wasn't as bad as people going around waving at him without all five fingers. :D He has a good sense of humor about it, not sure many of us would take it in stride as well as he has. xpeacex

Green26
December 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Our group's stay in Harrisonburg was very nice. Every person we encountered before, during and after the game (except for some students) was very nice and helpful. This part of Virginia is very pretty. The JMU campus is pretty (except for I-81 going thru the middle of it).

We didn't tailgate, as we went to Tutti ?, the pizza/beer place where UM had a pre-game event. Mr. Mahoney, the owner I believe, was very nice and helpful, as was his staff. Before we left for the game, he got everyone's attention, in both rooms, and thanked us. Said Griz fans "knocked the socks off" the fans from the prior two playoff teams. We went back there after the game too.

The stadium/area atmosphere was very good, as good as any I-AA atmosphere I've been (other than Griz stadium).

P.S. I was surprised that a number of JMU fans started leaving the stadium when the Griz held JMU on 4th down with almost 11 minutes to go in the game.

The crowd was loud, but the large distance between the stands and the field causes the noise to not be nearly as loud on the field. Players/coaches compared the field noise to Montana State's. Griz stadium is much louder on the field. When JMU's new stadium is done, the JMU crowd will be a much bigger factor (as the stands will apparently be much closer to the field).

I liked the First Down JMU Dukes thing that the crowd does.

I assume the game wasn't a sellout, as people were buying tickets when we picked up our tickets.

The JMU band is huge in number, and very good. The largest band I've ever seen. I noticed they had 3 band directors directing the traffic.

Lots of taunting and foul-mouthed trash-talking by some students in the stadium before the game and early in the game. It was coming from the student section and students who came over to the walkway in front of the stands. Some of the Griz fans gave a bit of this back, especially when UM scored TD's. This level of unprovoked trash-talking by students seem a bit unnecessary to me, but whatever. I'm sure my son has a few new phrases to try out on his buddies now at middle school. The security people, who were pretty good and friendly, didn't particularly like UM's twinkie throwers.

JMU and Harrisonburg fans were nice after the game at Tutti and later at IHOP. People came over to say congrats. My son and I got some JMU Beat Montana buttons at IHOP. The wait staff and others enjoyed talking to some families of UM players.

I didn't particularly like the number of JMU fans, mainly posters, who seemed to think football existed only in the CAA. I think your coach had a bit of that in him too. I'm glad our players set the record straight on that misconception.

I'm glad I got to see JMU. I've liked JMU since learning more about them in '04. I will root for them, along with Delaware and Maine, in the CAA. Clearly, one of the top I-AA programs, any way you want to measure that.

KNUTS
December 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Lots of taunting and foul-mouthed trash-talking by some students in the stadium before the game and early in the game. It was coming from the student section and students who came over to the walkway in front of the stands. Some of the Griz fans gave a bit of this back, especially when UM scored TD's. This level of unprovoked trash-talking by students seem a bit unnecessary to me, but whatever. I'm sure my son has a few new phrases to try out on his buddies now at middle school. The security people, who were pretty good and friendly, didn't particularly like UM's twinkie throwers.

I think that you have to give the student section a pass. I can't repeat some of the things I've said, seen, and heard in the student section of Wa Griz. Students of every university act like clowns it's part of being young and dumb.

grizbeer
December 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I didn't go, but talking to a cheerleader she said the students were calling them all sorts of rude names, but when they got closer to the fence would ask for their phone numbers. I thought guys outgrew hitting, name calling and pulling hair to get a girls attention in the 3rd grade - guess you boys do things differently in Virgina.

JMU DJ
December 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I liked the First Down JMU Dukes thing that the crowd does.

Lots of taunting and foul-mouthed trash-talking by some students in the stadium before the game and early in the game. It was coming from the student section and students who came over to the walkway in front of the stands.

I think this is why most opposing teams have problems with our fans. The opposing fans are sat right next to the student section in the stadium. Knowing JMU student fans, most have probably been up since the crack of dawn tailgaiting and are ready to talk trash and throw streamers into the opposing teams fan section. I don't know if this is the case with other teams, I've visited other stadiums as an opposing fan I've never been sat next to the student section.

The first down thing is really cool to me. The fans at UGA don't do anything like that except for during kickoffs. I'm trying to get some JMU style chants in the crowd such as the one you mention. The announcer says "Another first down for Georgia." I think it would be cool if 90,000 people chanted back "Bulldogs." I got my friends and the 100 or so people around us at the game to do it, but most everyone else just stares. But, I guess this does not pertain to FCS discussion.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
We can all fix this kind of thing and hold the students responsible for their actions. They are after all, over 18 and should be adult enough not to act as bad as some do. I know I will call a fellow Griz fan out for acting like an a$$ at a game and that is the best way to curb it. If the whole crowd is against the person acting horrible, they will quit it.

GrizFamily
December 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I think this is why most opposing teams have problems with our fans. The opposing fans are sat right next to the student section in the stadium. Knowing JMU student fans, most have probably been up since the crack of dawn tailgaiting and are ready to talk trash and throw streamers into the opposing teams fan section. I don't know if this is the case with other teams, I've visited other stadiums as an opposing fan I've never been sat next to the student section.

That's why the visitor and student sections are in opposite sections at WAGRIZ. The visitor section is right next to the high dollar/long term season ticket section. And our visitors usually rave about the treatment at WA Griz and that probably computes. But if opposing fans want to stir it up we can give as good as we get. xsmiley_wix

JMU Newbill
December 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe they will address this when they do the stadium expansion. Adding that many seats we should have plenty of room to sit the visitors somewhere out of the range of your average streamer thrower.

JMU DJ
December 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
That's why the visitor and student sections are in opposite sections at WAGRIZ. The visitor section is right next to the high dollar/long term season ticket section. And our visitors usually rave about the treatment at WA Griz and that probably computes. But if opposing fans want to stir it up we can give as good as we get. xsmiley_wix

Exactly my point, if your visitor section was next to the student section, perhaps we'd hear about how rude your fans are instead of how classy they are.

Dukie95
December 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
By do I dread reading these kinds of threads, because I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and read a response from the people that I KNOW had a miserable time in the stands.

I sat directly behind the Montana section and there was a couple in front of me with three young boys. They had cold drinks thrown on them twice - once after UM scored their first TD and again after the 4th down stop.

I was deeply embarrased and to this day I don't know if I'm dwelling more on the loss or the dispicable actions of my fellow JMU fans.

Other JMU fans in the area including me and my wife were apologetic and we tried our best to smooth things over by chatting with them and sharing our streamers with their kids. In addition, many of us waited for the UM team to exit the field where we applauded them for a well-played game and we congratulated their fans. I don't know if anyone noticed those actions or if they were even enough to make up for what must have been hell for them.

Anyway...I'm just waiting for that couple and the people around them to reply here about those experiences and I sincerly hope they don't let the actions of a couple idiots sour their opinion of JMU and its fans.

Dukie95
December 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Ever since JMU built the athletic center in the endzone, the students and the visitors have been on the same side.

JMU used to use what is now the visitor's locker room, so the teams were on opposites sides of the field that they are today. The visitors used to be on the opposite side behind the visitor's bench. When they gave the visitors the old JMU locker room, they put the visitor section near the visting team's gate.

The problem is, they couldn't move the students to the other side because many of those seats are chair backs and are for the higher-level donors.

This hasn't been an issue in the regular season because there's a barrier of season ticket holders between the visitors and the studets. For the playoffs, the NCAA requires that vistors be given seats inside the 30 yard line, so that pushed the visitors directly beside the students.

I have a feeling this will be a problem until the new side is built out and they can put the students behind the home benches on the lower-level.

fencer24
December 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Everything that I know about life, I learned in the Army. Appropos this thread, it only takes one "Aw *****" to wipe out a thousand Attaboys!. I appreciate the graciousness that you showed my fellow fans, and I will also work harder to tell the punks at my place to kindly STFU when they are rude to the people who cared enough to make the trip.
And yes, that includes the MSU fans, although I will not be going to Bozeman to see if they feel the same way. :)

griz8791
December 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM
We can all fix this kind of thing and hold the students responsible for their actions. They are after all, over 18 and should be adult enough not to act as bad as some do. I know I will call a fellow Griz fan out for acting like an a$$ at a game and that is the best way to curb it. If the whole crowd is against the person acting horrible, they will quit it.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately because when anybody calls our own students out on this they say "this is our time" or something lame like that to excuse it. And first, I'm not sure what "this is our time" is supposed to mean. Second, if it's supposed to mean they can do whatever they want at a Griz game simply because of the coincidence of being enrolled there while they are doing it, my answer is "no, neither this nor any other time is your time to undermine the positive goodwill built up over the last 20 years by those who have gone before you."

I guess that means I'm over the hill, which I already knew when everybody started thinking hip-hop was cool.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
By do I dread reading these kinds of threads, because I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and read a response from the people that I KNOW had a miserable time in the stands.

I sat directly behind the Montana section and there was a couple in front of me with three young boys. They had cold drinks thrown on them twice - once after UM scored their first TD and again after the 4th down stop.

I was deeply embarrased and to this day I don't know if I'm dwelling more on the loss or the dispicable actions of my fellow JMU fans.

Other JMU fans in the area including me and my wife were apologetic and we tried our best to smooth things over by chatting with them and sharing our streamers with their kids. In addition, many of us waited for the UM team to exit the field where we applauded them for a well-played game and we congratulated their fans. I don't know if anyone noticed those actions or if they were even enough to make up for what must have been hell for them.

Anyway...I'm just waiting for that couple and the people around them to reply here about those experiences and I sincerly hope they don't let the actions of a couple idiots sour their opinion of JMU and its fans.

We as fans just need to have people like that thrown out of the place. I know I'd be the first one to rat you out if I saw you do it. xnonono2x

Screamin_Eagle174
December 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I liked his quote about it wasn't as bad as people going around waving at him without all five fingers. :D He has a good sense of humor about it, not sure many of us would take it in stride as well as he has. xpeacex

Well with his reputation over there in the middle east, it could have been a lot worse for him. Hell, If it were me, I'd be glad too that it was only a pair of shoes. xthumbsupx

bandl
December 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
xlolx I betcha it was bandl yelling the 3rd one. What a coward! :p

I wish...and I would have thrown at beer can at you to boot! :p

But I wasn't at the game....maybe that's a good thing... xeyebrowx