PDA

View Full Version : Travelling FCS Fans

DCdukes
December 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
For those of you who have been traveling to away games for a few years, who in your opinion has a great stadium / fans to tailgate with? Plus with Christmas coming whats on the wishlist for the tailgate for next year.

I for one am looking for a second cooler. Must keep the beer and meets separate. Plus one cooler just isn't big enough. Seemed like their was a lot of portable flag poles showing up this year... Anyone got any details on those...

No offseason when it comes to tailgate planning....

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
There are so many good tailgate items out there these days. A portable propane burner comes in very handy for making spiked apple cider. The redneck horseshoe game is also a good tailgate item. Saw them at Dicks last time I was there.

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I've enjoyed UNH fans.

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
If JMU has UNH on the schedule next season I would love to make it up to New England for a game...I can't remember if we played them home or away last year?

Touchdown Yosef
December 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I feel like my tailgate is incomplete without flagpoles and flags so that is at the very top of my wish list. The girls are all lobbying for a tent and a propane heater to be added next season. I really want some big speakers as well so I can continue my dominance with my tunes and drown out anyone who feels the need to play anything that I consider either vomit rock or rap.

I like tailgating at Furman, been down several times and always have a good time.

Appinator
December 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I feel like my tailgate is incomplete without flagpoles and flags so that is at the very top of my wish list. The girls are all lobbying for a tent and a propane heater to be added next season. I really want some big speakers as well so I can continue my dominance with my tunes and drown out anyone who feels the need to play anything that I consider either vomit rock or rap.

I like tailgating at Furman, been down several times and always have a good time.

TDY hates all other forms of music other than blaring, thumping, techno music that he can wave glow sticks to.

Touchdown Yosef
December 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
TDY hates all other forms of music other than blaring, thumping, techno music that he can wave glow sticks to.

I hate you with all of my being Appinator!

did you pack away all the glow sticks already?

CatMom07
December 14th, 2008, 09:44 PM
We have a big ol tent. The guys have TV's with several other games going on. Usually we have one or more wood burning smoker grills . Varies from gumbo to chili to brisket being whipped up right there. And when it gets cold (yes it really does at times) there is always a wood fire going in a pit.

Never a want for the brew either. I think everyone brings a cooler full.

(well, that was till this year when the UPD messed the tailgating all up)

I am told McNeese has great tailgating. I've never been able to make it there.

Syntax Error
December 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
For those of you who have been traveling to away games for a few years, who in your opinion has a great stadium / fans to tailgate with? Plus with Christmas coming whats on the wishlist for the tailgate for next year.

I for one am looking for a second cooler. Must keep the beer and meets separate. Plus one cooler just isn't big enough. Seemed like their was a lot of portable flag poles showing up this year... Anyone got any details on those...

No offseason when it comes to tailgate planning....I have been to about 70 stadiums and tailgates in FCS so I won't name them all but...

Mecca stadium/tailgate fans:
Division I National Championship Game
Georgia Southern
Montana
Delaware
McNeese State
HBCU Classic Games

(please don't feel left out because there are so many more notable ones, okay I'll name a few more...
West to East:
Cal Poly
Montana State
North Dakota State
Northwestern State
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Illinois State
Eastern Kentucky
Youngstown State
Appalachian State
James Madison
Harvard)

Wishlist for tailgating:
LOW GAS PRICES

Appinator
December 14th, 2008, 09:55 PM
did you pack away all the glow sticks already?

Sadly yes, they have been packed for over a week now...

DCdukes
December 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'll tell you what the Spiders better hope the fans travel to TN better than they do to their off campus stadium... I realize its a small school but pack the stands once in your life come on....

Who's going to have the "home" crowd?
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-08-0048.html?DB_OEM_ID=8500

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have been to about 70 stadiums and tailgates in FCS so I won't name them all but...

Georgia Southern
Montana
Delaware
McNeese State
HBCU Classic Games

How can Southern University not be on the list. SU has over 200 plus RV's at every game plus thousands of folks tailgating. During SU's homecoming it was reported over 100,000 folks were on campus. Tailgating @ HBCU homecomings are way bigger than tailgating @ Classic games. Most Classics don't have tailgating.

PhoenixPhan06
December 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I traveled to App State recently and their tailgate (although very cold, wet, and snowy on 11/15/08) was great as long as you got there early enough. Parking was tough to come by a few hours before the game, but the turnout was great and comradery among home and opposing fans was tough to match. The lot across from the Mellow Mushroom was key and I'll plan to go back there again if I make the trip up to Boone in the future.

My key ingredient this year in tailgating was a good ol fashioned home made cornhole set. You can buy them now just about anywhere, but I recommend you build and paint it yourself if you're any kind of handyman.

Happy Holidays

ur2k
December 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'll tell you what the Spiders better hope the fans travel to TN better than they do to their off campus stadium... I realize its a small school but pack the stands once in your life come on....

Who's going to have the "home" crowd?
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-08-0048.html?DB_OEM_ID=8500

xflaggedx

xdeadhorsex

Really? Come on. Our game against each other this year was very well attended on both sides. Good job pulling out an article that happened before that game.

I have a feeling that a lot of Spiders are coming out of the woodwork for this one.

appfan2008
December 15th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have been to about 70 stadiums and tailgates in FCS so I won't name them all but...

Georgia Southern
Montana
Delaware
McNeese State
HBCU Classic Games

(please don't feel left out because there are so many more notable ones, okay I'll name a few more...
West to East:
Cal Poly
Montana State
North Dakota State
Northwestern State
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa
Illinois State
Eastern Kentucky
Youngstown State
Appalachian State
James Madison
Harvard)

Wishlist for tailgating:
LOW GAS PRICES

2 questions for you SE...

1) What would you say is keeping app off the top level in your eyes? What is it that we lack???

2)When was the last time you came to boone for a game bc a lot has changed in the past few years?

not hating just curious...

appfan2008
December 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM
my favorite non app tailgate before a game that i have been to is of course the title game but other than that I would say
In this order for places Ive been...
Western Carolina
Gardner Webb
Elon
Furman

Touchdown Yosef
December 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I traveled to App State recently and their tailgate (although very cold, wet, and snowy on 11/15/08) was great as long as you got there early enough. Parking was tough to come by a few hours before the game, but the turnout was great and comradery among home and opposing fans was tough to match. The lot across from the Mellow Mushroom was key and I'll plan to go back there again if I make the trip up to Boone in the future.

My key ingredient this year in tailgating was a good ol fashioned home made cornhole set. You can buy them now just about anywhere, but I recommend you build and paint it yourself if you're any kind of handyman.

Happy Holidays

Yea making your own Cornhole is much more fun. We did it 2 years ago and this past off season we added a ladder golf set (much easier to make). I have to say while we enjoy cornhole more we played much more ladder golf just b/c it is easier to transport.

PhoenixPhan06
December 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Yea making your own Cornhole is much more fun. We did it 2 years ago and this past off season we added a ladder golf set (much easier to make). I have to say while we enjoy cornhole more we played much more ladder golf just b/c it is easier to transport.

While packing for the trip, we had a make a few adjustments to compensate for the Cornhole but I'm glad we brought it because it always does a good job of bringing people together.

What is ladder golf? I've seen a game that sounds like it that has two stands with three rungs each and you try to hang some type of lasso on the rungs for points. If this is the one you're talking about, I can see how it would be much easier to transport than the Cornhole.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM

My friend and I tried that before. Made our own bean bags with beans and cloth sewn together. Sadly to say our Bachelor skills were soon prevalent and beans pretty much splattered everywhere when one of the bags landed. :o

DCdukes
December 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Really? Come on. Our game against each other this year was very well attended on both sides. Good job pulling out an article that happened before that game.

Right. I'm wondering if that article didn't have something to do with the attendance. Don't get me wrong I am glad you guys have started to pack that stadium, which will only get better when they build one on campus... I have been to the last couple JMU v UR games and that was definitely the best I have seen... But you can't act like its been like that in previous years... I hope you guys end up winning the NC too... makes it even better for the in-state rivalries between JMU W&M and UR...

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
If JMU has UNH on the schedule next season I would love to make it up to New England for a game...I can't remember if we played them home or away last year?

If I remember right you don't play until 2010. Not sure where.

SpiderFan
December 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Right. I'm wondering if that article didn't have something to do with the attendance. Don't get me wrong I am glad you guys have started to pack that stadium, which will only get better when they build one on campus... I have been to the last couple JMU v UR games and that was definitely the best I have seen... But you can't act like its been like that in previous years... I hope you guys end up winning the NC too... makes it even better for the in-state rivalries between JMU W&M and UR...

Newsflash man our entire alumni base is about 40,000 people--with probably at least 1/2 living outside Richmond area. If every one of the remaining went along with student body then we'd fill up a 25K stadium. That's why we're building a smaller stadium on campus.

DCdukes
December 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think if you read the post you would see I am excited about you building a smaller stadium on campus... Never a good thing for drunk college kids trying to get to an off campus stadium...

spiderdru
December 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have been to alot of FCS Tailgates and I would rank the top three as follows:

#1 Montana - look forward to revenging our loss in 2000 and look forward to tailgating with you again you were great hosts...
#2 App. St - I went to the last two games one loss and one win- both times we enojyed ourselves and everyone there treated us great...maybe because we had a fire pit to keep everyone warm..
#3 William & Mary - Great because it is local and alot of history....

Go Spiders.....