PDA

View Full Version : NC Game representatives often aren't their conference champs.

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
04'
-JMU didn't win the CAA AQ (W&M did). Both JMU & W&M were 7-1. W&M won the head to head during the regular season. JMU won the semi final rematch & the NC.

05'
-UNI was in a 3 way tie for the MVC title at 5-2. Not sure if they won the AQ.

07'.
-UD was tied for 4th best conference record in the CAA wth Nova at 5-3, behind UMass (7-1), UR (7-1), and JMU (6-2).
-ASU didn't win the So-Con AQ at 5-2.

08'
-UR was tied with UNH for 3rd best record in the CAA at 6-2, behind JMU (8-0) and Nova (7-1), both who beat UR.
-Montana at 7-1 in the Big Sky didn't win the AQ. I assume that was Weber at 7-1 as they beat Montana in the regular season.

Thats at least 5 of the last 10 NC participants didn't win their league title/AQ.

T-Dog
December 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Technically Montana this year, App last year and UNI in 05 were conference champs, but they didn't get the AQ. But they still got a conference title trophy.

And we were 5-2 in conference last year. Samford joined this year and added another game.

Also, the great Georgia Southern team of 1999, arguably one of the greatest FCS teams of all time, didn't get the AQ from the SoCon. It was a three-way tie between App, Furman and GaSo (Furman beat App, App beat GaSo, GaSo beat Furman, the home team won all three games). For some reason, App got the AQ.

crunifan
December 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Technically Montana this year, App last year and UNI in 05 were conference champs, but they didn't get the AQ. But they still got a conference title trophy.

And we were 5-2 in conference last year. Samford joined this year and added another game.

Also, the great Georgia Southern team of 1999, arguably one of the greatest FCS teams of all time, didn't get the AQ from the SoCon. It was a three-way tie between App, Furman and GaSo (Furman beat App, App beat GaSo, GaSo beat Furman, the home team won all three games). For some reason, App got the AQ.

UNI actually did get the AQ in 2005 since we beat our other two co-champs head to head (SIU and Youngstown St). We lost to Missouri State (QB sanders was out that game) and Illinois State that year.

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM

If 2 teams are tied say at 7-1 in league play, the one who won head to head is conference champ I thought.

As far as trophys, anyone can order trophys, t-shirts, etc that say we were conference champs.

I just thought it interesting that about half the time the NC reps didn't win the respective conferences.

Native
December 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM
If 2 teams are tied say at 7-1 in league play, the one who won head to head is conference champ I thought.

As far as trophys, anyone can order trophys, t-shirts, etc that say we were conference champs.

I just thought it interesting that about half the time the NC reps didn't win the respective conferences.

Every conference has different rules. Weber and Montana shared the conference title despite Weber beating Montana 45-28 in the regular season because Weber lost to EWU. Weber won the auto-bid by virtue of the regular season win over UM.

wkuhillhound
December 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It's also safe to say that national champions often don't win the conference. This year is a good example of that, also 2002 is an even BETTER example. xnodx

Ronbo
December 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Geezeus, the AQ isn't the Conference Championship. The record is.

Both Montana and Weber State were 7-1. THERE IS NO TIE BREAKER!!!!

Montana lost to a 10-3 top 10 team. Weber State lost to a 6-6 unranked team. Who had the better showing?

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Sounds and awful lot like UNI and SIU this year. We are both conference champions even though they beat us because they lost to NDSU.

UNI lost to a 9-3 top 10 team while SIU lost to a 6-5 unranked team.

BDKJMU
December 15th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Geezeus, the AQ isn't the Conference Championship. The record is.

Both Montana and Weber State were 7-1. THERE IS NO TIE BREAKER!!!!

Montana lost to a 10-3 top 10 team. Weber State lost to a 6-6 unranked team. Who had the better showing?

JMU & W&M were both 7-1 in 04'. JMU even got CAA champs t-shirts I think. But W&M won the head to head & the AQ. W&M lost to playoff UD, who JMU had beaten.

Regardless, I was under the assumption that if 2 teams have the same record, the one that won head to head is the league champ, regardless of the conference. Not sure why some conferences would do that and some would not. So maybe I should have said half the NC participants in the last 5 years didn't win their conference and/or AQ.

DuckDuckGriz
December 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Also technically Montana was a Co-Champ in 2004 with Eastern Washington (although the Griz got the auto-bid) b/c UM lost to Portland State.

Great point on that 1999 Georgia Southern team, was that the year they lost to Furman big without AP? Or was that 2000? Totally seemed like a fluke game almost.

T-Dog
December 15th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Great point on that 1999 Georgia Southern team, was that the year they lost to Furman big without AP? Or was that 2000? Totally seemed like a fluke game almost.

We beat GaSo that year (with AP) 17-16 in Boone. GaSo beat Furman in 1999. I guess that was 2000.

Also, the Marshall team of 1992 that won the National Title didn't win the SoCon. The Citadel won one of it's two SoCon football titles ever that year (1992 and 1961).

EDIT: I just found this out, but this going into this year, our all time series with GaSo was tied and we had equal number of SoCon football titles. Not anymore. :D We're still 3 behind Furman though.....in due time.