PDA

View Full Version : UNI next year

achrist70
December 13th, 2008, 11:11 PM
This really isn't too start the discussion for next year but more to raise the spirits of panther nation. This is what we have coming back next year.

QB- Pat Grace (and Zach Davis) Grace hate him or love him he makes plays
RB- D Law I think that he has showed great ability to carry the ball, and I am excited to see what some of the freshman redshirting can do
WR- Mo Turner, DJ Hord, Josh Collins, Jarred Herring, DP Eyman- Everyone thought the season was done after we lost Johnny and Vic but this group stepped up big time
TE- Mahaffey, Oordt, Eilert, Gilson. Looks like a nice returning bunch to me.
Oline- Howard, Herrig, Stiechen, Fiacco, Teeply. We loose Swift who was the heart of the line but have a lot of talent coming back, and I would rather have a great line and an average back than a great back and an average line (not calling Law average)

D-line, Ruffin Kinney, and Lane. I think that you might see Boothby move back to the D-line, and want to see if the Bennett kid can step in to the other DE spot, we also have a few freshman that were supposed to be good recruits.

LB- Mahoney, Thompson, Smith, Foyt. Looks like we have a lot of kids with experience coming back. Hopefully Mahoney plays, but still a lot of young talent.

DB's area of concern for me. Loose all four starters. I think that James Connely, Craig James, and Tray-Day Canaday will fit in there somewhere, and hopefully some younger athletes can contribute.

P- Brooke is back and has performed well this year in my opinion.

K- Billy needs to step it up, or we might see a new kicker next year

All in all I think we have a lot to look forward to next year, if we can put a secondary together we have a chance to be right back here next year, hopefully a little bit farther though.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You guys bring a ton back. DB's in FCS are a dime a dozen for the most part. I've yet to see a FCS team with a truly great secondary.

strike00
December 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
UNI does have alot back. 9 of 11 on the offensive side and plenty of talent both returning and upcoming on the defensive side. graduating the secondary hurts, but that has always been the weakest part of the team anyway and we should find four guys to step in and be serviceable. If that happens than UNI should be better next year.

GrizzlyBill
December 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Great game today, guys. Not the result you wanted, but . . .

I really liked how you came out 2nd half and really took it to them. You let the emotional fire slip away late when UR drove the field in the final 90 seconds. I thought we were gonna have us a "western" final in Nooga. Damn!

Congrats on a great season. Final 4 ain't too shabby. Nice work disposing of two CAA teams. See you in 09.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM

With the exception of not booting the last punt into the McLeod, I agree about Brook (no 'e').

And God help us if we don't have a new kicker, or a much improved version of Billy. He was a liability. Sure makes you miss Brian Wingert, huh?

Houndawg
December 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM
This really isn't too start the discussion for next year but more to raise the spirits of panther nation. This is what we have coming back next year.

QB- Pat Grace (and Zach Davis) Grace hate him or love him he makes plays
RB- D Law I think that he has showed great ability to carry the ball, and I am excited to see what some of the freshman redshirting can do
WR- Mo Turner, DJ Hord, Josh Collins, Jarred Herring, DP Eyman- Everyone thought the season was done after we lost Johnny and Vic but this group stepped up big time
TE- Mahaffey, Oordt, Eilert, Gilson. Looks like a nice returning bunch to me.
Oline- Howard, Herrig, Stiechen, Fiacco, Teeply. We loose Swift who was the heart of the line but have a lot of talent coming back, and I would rather have a great line and an average back than a great back and an average line (not calling Law average)

D-line, Ruffin Kinney, and Lane. I think that you might see Boothby move back to the D-line, and want to see if the Bennett kid can step in to the other DE spot, we also have a few freshman that were supposed to be good recruits.

LB- Mahoney, Thompson, Smith, Foyt. Looks like we have a lot of kids with experience coming back. Hopefully Mahoney plays, but still a lot of young talent.

DB's area of concern for me. Loose all four starters. I think that James Connely, Craig James, and Tray-Day Canaday will fit in there somewhere, and hopefully some younger athletes can contribute.

All in all I think we have a lot to look forward to next year, if we can put a secondary together we have a chance to be right back here next year, hopefully a little bit farther though.

Hard luck for UNI, for sure. It isn't often that the playoff stars align the way they did for you this year.

If nothing else this playoff season has reinforced the importance of special teams. I believe there were at least three games where special teams were the difference.

The good news is you'll be loaded, the bad news is that you won't be the only ones. I think the MVC will be better next year and won't be rolling over for you. We all got a break when YSU took a powder this season; they're bound to be tougher next year. Both Dakotas now know what it takes to win the MVC and will be very tough. SIU returns 10 starters on defense and 7 on offense from the only other FCS team to win against UNI.
If we're lucky the committee may see fit to let two teams in again.

TribeNomad
December 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Great game----UNI---I had not seen your team this year----very solid, physical play. Good mix of run and pass on the "O", your OL did a great job with the UR defense----for the most part you kept their two DE's off the QB. "D" hard hitting and sure tackling, great effort, just came up a bit short in the end.....I understand, we had the same outcome in the lat game of the season against UR. Good luck next season!!!

ngineer
December 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hard luck for UNI, for sure. It isn't often that the playoff stars align the way they did for you this year.

If nothing else this playoff season has reinforced the importance of special teams. I believe there were at least three games where special teams were the difference.
The good news is you'll be loaded, the bad news is that you won't be the only ones. I think the MVC will be better next year and won't be rolling over for you. We all got a break when YSU took a powder this season; they're bound to be tougher next year. Both Dakotas now know what it takes to win the MVC and will be very tough. SIU returns 10 starters on defense and 7 on offense from the only other FCS team to win against UNI.
If we're lucky the committee may see fit to let two teams in again.

In any close game, it is the special teams area that makes the difference. It is that aspect of the game that with little 'tweaking' can make a huge difference, as opposed to having to restructure an offense or defense. Any time you lose by 3 or less, you can always see something on the special team's execution, that if something very small changed, the outcome of the game is different.xnodx

nmatsen
December 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
With the exception of not booting the last punt into the McLeod, I agree about Brook (no 'e').

And God help us if we don't have a new kicker, or a much improved version of Billy. He was a liability. Sure makes you miss Brian Wingert, huh?

No, not really. I miss his kickoffs, dude had a leg.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
No, not really. I miss his kickoffs, dude had a leg.

He missed one kick in '05. His 51 yarder in Chatty was a beaut.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I do believe the two FGs Billy missed were 42 and 51 yards. Those are by no means gimmies at this level guys (or at any level for that matter). And there is so much more that goes into FGs than just the kicker. It isn't like Billy goes out there and misses so called chip shots or every extra point. I would like to see some improvement, but he is by no means the worst kicker in the country as many seem to call him.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
3-6 over the past two games is hard to be happy about. This is D-1 football, and those 9 points over the past two games would've iced them both.

achrist70
December 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
51 yarder I doesn't bother me, that was messed up from the snap, but the other one was Billy.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I understand what you are saying, but kickers miss field goals. You deal with it. I think we may have been spoiled having such great ones in our past. Like Brian Mitchell, Mackenzie Hoambrecker, Brain Wingert, and so many more.

I don't like it when it happens, but I know none of us could go do any better. And there must be a reason Billy is still the kicker, and it is because we don't have anyone better. I think Farley has so much confidence in him which is why he sent him out there even after he missed his first two.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think it might be time for a halftime field goal for tuition (ala Mike Leach).

Native
December 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM

God help UNI if their fans don't grow up and learn to count their blessings! xoopsx

Billy Hallgren is the leading kick-scorer in the FCS, leading scorer by a large margin for UNI this season, has made >70% of his field goals in the red zone for two years straight, made 10 touchbacks and averaged more than 60 yards on kickoffs this year. Hallgren provided the point margin for three UNI victories this season and initiated scoring for the Panthers in four games. xthumbsupx

Billy Hallgren set the all-time UNI record last year for kick scoring points by a freshman. (Was Wingert the previous record holder?) xreadx

Billy Hallgren is an elite placekicker. He is not the Panther problem. xnonox

Chi Panther
December 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Championship Game Recordxthumbsupx xbowx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Championship Game Recordxthumbsupx xbowx

xnodx xthumbsupx

proasu89
December 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM

xnodx Yes it was.

proasu89
December 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
You guys bring a ton back. DB's in FCS are a dime a dozen for the most part. I've yet to see a FCS team with a truly great secondary.

I'll leave it up to others to debate great, but the 06 def. backfield of Wozeah, Touchstone, Wiggins, and Lynch was as solid as any I've seen.
Next year's group could be better.

DOME
December 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Aside from all the great players on the field for UNI we'll also have the Dome!
Even with 4000+ empty seats I think UR was still struggling in the first half getting called for five (?) False starts?

Ronin
December 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
QB position should be up for grabs next year. (Davis would be my pick)

O-Line and D-Line is good news with those returning.

RB OK so I like Law he's a bruiser and finishes a run.

K - UNI will be having tryouts this spring.

henfan
December 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
That Law is an impressive player. UNI should be lined up for another run next season.xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Why would QB be up for grabs? In my opinion we are not where we were if it weren't for Grace. Granted we needed Davis in the 3 games when Pat was hurt, but I don't think he would have performed as well in the playoffs as Pat did.

achrist70
December 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Why would QB be up for grabs? In my opinion we are not where we were if it weren't for Grace. Granted we needed Davis in the 3 games when Pat was hurt, but I don't think he would have performed as well in the playoffs as Pat did.

I agree completely. Davis beat Youngstown, Western, and Indiana State. Not nearly the teams Grace faced. Sure Pat makes some questionable decisions, but the things he does for UNI heavily out weighs his mistakes. And I know someone is going to say he missed two key throws against Richmond. Would Davis made those throws, no. And well for his dropped pass, yeah he should have caught that one, I guess that is why he isn't lining up at wideout.

achrist70
December 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Just watching the local news KWWL reported that today in his press conference Mark Farley said that Deveon Harris might be eligible for another year.

UNI Pike
December 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just watching the local news KWWL reported that today in his press conference Mark Farley said that Deveon Harris might be eligible for another year.

Since Cappy is not around to do this

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

What reason?

ValleyChamp
December 16th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Getting Harris back would be GREAT. He is very crucial to our defense.

You people that think Davis will start over Grace next year are crazy. I garantee Pat will be the starter next year again. UNI is sooo much more difficult for defenses to plan for when Grace is the QB. He brings alot to the team. His decisons and accuracy will probably improve by next season as well.

Davis will be a really good QB for UNI, but not next year. I really like what he will bring to us in the future, but our team is built around the plays that Grace can make for us right now.

clenz
December 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Any updates on this Harris situation? I know it would have been posted on panthernation by now, but I'm really curious about this. That would be HUGE

strike00
December 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Harris? Why? What for? that would be huge. talk about out of nowhere.

clenz
December 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
After doing some reading it looks like he should have next year:

05- redshirted at toledo--REDSHIRT
06-played at NIACC--RFROSH
07-UNI--RSOPH
08-UNI--RJR
09-UNI-RSR

Someone tell me if I'm reading this wrong.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harris_deveon00.html

T-Dog
December 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM

And I thought being there live there was no way he'd make that kick being it was 51 yards and about 35 degrees. I thought UNI would go for it or pooch kick it being that it was on the game-opening drive. xoopsx