PDA

View Full Version : So how did they (Montana) do it?

GreatAppSt
December 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
We had a thread about how to stop Landers. Montana apparently did it.

I thought the best way to control Landers is to go after him.

So what's the story?

Otherwise, outside of the Landers question it's clear that Montana took away JMU's game.

GreatAppSt
December 12th, 2008, 11:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cue the 'Montana didn't beat us, we beat ourselves' responses...xreadx

blur2005
December 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
We had a thread about how to stop Landers. Montana apparently did it.

I thought the best way to control Landers is to go after him.

So what's the story?

Otherwise, outside of the Landers question it's clear that Montana took away JMU's game.
I wouldn't say Montana stopped Landers, unless you mean he was knocked out of the game for good in the second quarter. In which case, you would be correct as that's probably the only way to truly stop him. The Griz may not have been stopping him while he was in but they were containing him some - he didn't really manage a run over ten yards.

Grizaholic17
You take out Landers by injuring him I guess. ???????

Forced fumbles was the story of this defense all year. We did it with him too.

As for montana taking this game from JMU...not so much.

Hard fought game. Great players on both sides. One team had to win.

Saint3333
It's amazing how the game changes when your QB goes down and you turn the ball over 4 or more times.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM
It's amazing how the game changes when your QB goes down and you turn the ball over 4 or more times.

Plain and simple.

GreatAppSt
December 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Really?

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
We made mistakes. They didn't. Mistake free football. Couldn't ask more from a team.

gbhmt
December 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Defensive coordinator Paulson clearly decided that instead of trying to force no-gain plays and tackles for loss by blitzing, he was going to contain and prevent big plays. JMU is as good as they come with big plays. This strategy is why the total yardage is so lopsided. The Griz said "okay, you can get your three, four, five yard gains, but your drives are gonna take a long time and we can take the ball away from you." Every turnover in the game came as a result of a great play by a defender. The last fumble on the kickoff return, the returner should have switched hands with the ball, but regardless it was a great strip. Swink's pick was picture-perfect. Stadnyk showed that even Landers may not be able to survive a tough strip, and the first fumble was just a tough lick from the defender.

Finally, JMU figured Griz had a one-dimensional running offense, so they stacked the box. Cole Bergquist simply made them pay for that.

SeattleGriz
December 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Exactly. But I sure didn't see strong ball protection from JMU when those balls got stripped.

gbhmt
December 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't say Montana stopped Landers, unless you mean he was knocked out of the game for good in the second quarter. In which case, you would be correct as that's probably the only way to truly stop him. The Griz may not have been stopping him while he was in but they were containing him some - he didn't really manage a run over ten yards.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winnerxthumbsupx

T-Dog
December 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Dave Coulson xrulesx

Proud Griz Man
December 12th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Defensive coordinator Paulson clearly decided that instead of trying to force no-gain plays and tackles for loss by blitzing, he was going to contain and prevent big plays. JMU is as good as they come with big plays. This strategy is why the total yardage is so lopsided. The Griz said "okay, you can get your three, four, five yard gains, but your drives are gonna take a long time and we can take the ball away from you." Every turnover in the game came as a result of a great play by a defender. The last fumble on the kickoff return, the returner should have switched hands with the ball, but regardless it was a great strip. Swink's pick was picture-perfect. Stadnyk showed that even Landers may not be able to survive a tough strip, and the first fumble was just a tough lick from the defender.

Finally, JMU figured Griz had a one-dimensional running offense, so they stacked the box. Cole Bergquist simply made them pay for that.

Yes, you and I watched the same game. Bend but don't break.

I might add, the JMU defense did very little to stop the Griz offense.

Eight Legger
December 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Turnovers usually determine games in the playoffs, at any level. Especially when there is such a wide margin as in this game or the UR-App game last week. Take two teams that are more or less even and give one the ball 4 or 5 more times than the other one, and you have your winner.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Time of possession- Montana 27:22 JMU 32:38

Total Offense- Montana 298 JMU 419

Turnovers: Montana 0 JMU 4

Rocket science, eh?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Griz forced turnovers. Period. That's it. Two battle tested tough teams duked it out, and the team with less turnovers won.

gbhmt
December 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Rocket science, eh?

Bend not break....bend not break.....bend not break...

where's that beating the dead horse gif...

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Rocket science, eh?

I hold you special on so many levels right now :D

gbhmt
December 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Oh and for the first time in who knows how long I can say that Rob Phenicie outcoached the living daylights out of the other team.

uofmman1122
December 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Oh and for the first time in who knows how long I can say that Rob Phenicie outcoached the living daylights out of the other team.QFT

Let's hope he saved his best performance of the year for next week. xnodx

gbhmt
December 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
QFT

Let's hope he saved his best performance of the year for next week. xnodx

Boy do I hope so too.

GrizBowl
December 12th, 2008, 11:35 PM
During the first possession of the game, JMU was at one point in a fourth down situation, and even though they were in field goal position, they decided to go for it. My personal theory is that this decision was seen as an arrogant insult by the Griz players and pushed them to play at a higher level. Please correct me if my I'm mistaken, but it seemed that after that play the Griz became more physical and focused and hit harder than they have all season.

RE/MAXGriz
December 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM
The Griz played their game. This whole post-season they've been about forcing turnovers, and that killed JMU. On offense, it was the steady production, mixed in with some plays JMU hadn't seen before (TD passes to TEs and RBs) and there you have it.

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 12:48 AM
During the first possession of the game, JMU was at one point in a fourth down situation, and even though they were in field goal position, they decided to go for it. My personal theory is that this decision was seen as an arrogant insult by the Griz players and pushed them to play at a higher level. Please correct me if my I'm mistaken, but it seemed that after that play the Griz became more physical and focused and hit harder than they have all season.

We always go for it on 4th down at that point of the field. Nothing new there. And the Montana players would know that if they had watched film, which I'm sure they did, therefor wouldn't take that as an insult...

Peems
December 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM

We always go for it on 4th down at that point of the field. Nothing new there. And the Montana players would know that if they had watched film, which I'm sure they did, therefor wouldn't take that as an insult...

I agree with skins here. First off it was a pretty far FG attempt, and second it wasn't too far to go. Third they had Rodney Landers as their QB.

putter
December 13th, 2008, 01:10 AM
you make a running team have to pass the ball. That is what the Griz did and they were able to move the ball. JMU did not have to punt but the Griz held another team to well below their season average (25 vs. 39). Pound the ball, pound the ball.

GreatAppSt
December 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Mickey goes for it many times when he probably shouldn't, he does take a riverboat gamblers approach to his teams fate often.