PDA

View Full Version : FCS coaches jumping to FBS

blitz4
December 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
What coaches do you feel will eventually make the jump to 1-a.

Starting with Wofford, after the success that Paul Johnson has had at Ga Tech. I can't imagine that noone else will come after Mike Ayers. However I do not think he will take another job. He will retire a Wofford Terrier.

Mickey Matthews- will jump at his first chance.

Jerry Moore-Too Old.

Chris Hatcher-will jump at his first chance.

Lembo-will jump at his first chance.

JMU2004
December 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Mickey already has had a chance, and he passed on starting up South Alabama (going I-A)

If he stays at JMU another 2 years, he will retire here. He is making plenty of money, and he is treated like royalty in Harrisonburg.

ncbears
December 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Maybe the guy at Montana.

grizband
December 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Maybe the guy at Montana.
While I think Hauck has a fair chance, the guy literally bleeds Grizzly maroon. I wouldn't blame him for taking another job that would easily triple his current salary though.

smcwildcat
December 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
mcdonnell?.... im not sure

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM

I think Sean McDonell is the best coach in America.. he'd make a great hire

PantherRob82
December 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I think if we win Saturday Farley will get offers. 2 championship games and a quarterfinal in 4 years.

achrist70
December 11th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I think if we win Saturday Farley will get offers. 2 championship games and a quarterfinal in 4 years.

Farley won't leave this year for sure his son is going to be a senior next year, and I really don't see him leaving, I think he saw what happened to Terry Allen and is perfectly happy in Cedar Falls.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Elon's Pete Lembo is young enough - and good enough - to get an FBS job someday. I think McDonnell of UNH is also an interesting thought. His former assistant coach is now head coach at Oregon.

An X-factor pick? Fordham's Tom Masella. His problem is that under him they've only had success for one year, and the Rams regressed this year. But I think he's a terrific coach.

Tribe4SF
December 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Mike London will be a candidate. Showing his ability to run a program, and already has FBS coordinator experience.

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Mike London will be a candidate. Showing his ability to run a program, and already has FBS coordinator experience.

could he replace groh? eventually

MacThor
December 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Yeah I think that's where it's headed.....

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Starting with Wofford, after the success that Paul Johnson has had at Ga Tech. I can't imagine that noone else will come after Mike Ayers. However I do not think he will take another job. He will retire a Wofford Terrier.

Jerry Moore-Too Old.

Sorry to disappoint but Matthews is not going anywhere anytime soon. It would have to be one heck of an offer to uproot him and his family from Harrisonburg.

MacThor
December 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Clawson will be announced as new head coach at Bowling Green today.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Jerry Moore-Too Old.

Jerry may be too old today but he wasnt a few years ago when we won our first and there were plenty of suitors... he is one happy man and truly has no reason to leave...

ur2k
December 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Let's not even talk about this yet xoopsx

He's also got experience as an NFL coach (I think D-line with the Texans).

After what I've seen this year, we are very lucky to have him. And I hope we keep him for a long time.

hippy@GSU
December 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I heard that Hatcher was flat out offered the job at Southern Miss. (last year?) and he didnt take it. RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR. Maybe more knowledgable GSU fans can pitch in

89Eagle
December 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I heard that Hatcher was flat out offered the job at Southern Miss. (last year?) and he didnt take it. RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR. Maybe more knowledgable GSU fans can pitch in
I'm pretty sure he turned down the interview. I think they would have made an offer.

UNHFootballAlum
December 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I don't think that McDonnell is going anywhere anytime soon.

eaglewithabus
December 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure he turned down the interview. I think they would have made an offer.

He admitted that he had been contacted about GaTech and that he thought it was great publicity for GSU. I remember all the tech fans were on our message board and several of them had changed their avatars to chris hatcher. They wanted him more than they wanted PJ at the time. Bet they are glad that someone high up didnt listen to all the fans complaining about how the option wasnt going to work.

Benne
December 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM
So... Who's going to Army?

I'm looking at you, Wofford and Cal-Poly fans.

WOCO
December 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Don't look at Coach Ayers. He's not going anywhere!

smcwildcat
December 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
how bout mcdonnell we handled a pretty bad army team this year...haha

Reign of Terrier
December 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Not gonna happen. He actually has a chance to win a title here and he's not going to give that up to go to Army. I also think he was offered the OC job at GT this past season but he turned it down(that's a rumor BTW)

GATA
December 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM

If Army actually wants to starting competing they need to look at any coach who runs a contrarian offense. I would start with Mike Sewak at Georgia Tech. They should also take a look at Gus Malzahn or somebody who still knows how to run the old Huskers multiple option game. They either need to commit to the wishbone or the spread...but they can't line up and run that pro style offense they tried before this year...it ain't gonna work.

UNHFootballAlum
December 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM

He'll defiantely be a candidate given his success as a coordinator and head coach and the fac there are only 4 African American Head coaches in FBS. he will get a shot very soon IMHO

Redwyn
December 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Chuck Priore at Stony Brook seems to be making his way up. Had that massive win streak for DIII Trinity College, then turned around a horrible program at Stony Brook rather quickly. He's young enough that if SBU doesn't keep locking him into long contracts he could move quickly.

EKU05
December 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM
EKU's Danny Hope is now head coach at Purdue after one year as coach in wating there.

Current EKU coach Dean Hood has only one year under his belt, but if he continues to build on the success that earned him OVC Coach of the Year honors he will be on the radar...particularly at Wake Forest should Jim Grobe ever move on. Ohio is another possible destination for Hood given that he spent some time there as DC as well.

I Bleed Purple
December 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Weber has already lost their coordinators to Utah State.