PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Santos/David Ball update

UNHFan
December 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well its been so hard to get the facts...I even joined the Allouettes Forum and know one had a clue. Well here ya go!

http://www.bellinghambulletin.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=278&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=&wpage=&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1554&hn=bellinghambulletin&he=.com

If the above extension is clickable can everyone click it please? This way they see lots of traffic and will maybe keep us updated more.. Thanks!

Santos Aiming for “Active” Role with Alouettes Next Year

Ricky Santos made a favorable first impression with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. The former Bellingham High School quarterback and All-American at the University of New Hampshire, who was signed as a free agent by Montreal after he was released by the Kansas City Chiefs, played in only one exhibition game. But that pre-season debut against the Toronto Argonauts spoke volumes about the 6-foot-2 signal-caller’s potential.

Santos completed 14 of 16 passes for 140 yards and one touchdown, enabling the Alouettes to rally for a tie. After the Toronto game, Montreal placed Santos on the disabled list, then elevated him to the active roster for one week before sending him to the practice squad. Now, he’s signed for next year and is hopeful he’ll get a longer look that could earn him some extended playing time.

“This was only the second time in 17 years of organized football that I haven’t played much,” Santos said. “But I’m not worried. I got a good grasp of what the Canadian pro league is like, and the coaches had a chance to see me work. It was a bit frustrating not to play in the regular season, but I’m just biding my time and waiting for my chance.’’

Santos’ future will depend largely on Anthony Calvillo, Montreal’s starting quarterback, who, at age 37, could be retiring. If Calvillo steps aside, Marcus Brady likely would inherit the starter’s role, putting Santos in position to battle for the backup slot. Calvillo led the Alouettes to a berth in the playoffs.

Santos handled his one appearance during the exhibition season calmly and confidently.

“I had some jitters at the start of the game, but once we got going, I settled down and got comfortable,” Santos said. “The style of play in Canada is very different than American football. There are 12 players eligible, only three downs and constant motion. I got a big assist from our quarterback coach, Scott Malonavich. He worked with me on reading defenses and helping me adjust to the motion plays.’’

When Santos returns to Montreal in May for pre-season camp, he’ll see a familiar face. David Ball, who was Santos’ favorite receiver at UNH, signed with Montreal after he was released by the New York Jets. Ball broke all of Jerry Rice’s reception records in 1-AA.

“David was with me on the practice squad towards the end of the season,” Santos said. “It was nice to team up again. There’s a good chance David and I will be working out in the off-season at UNH with the strength and conditioning coach.”

Santos, who won the Walter Payton Award as the top player in 1-AA his junior year at UNH, holds virtually every Wildcat passing record. After leading Bellingham High to a pair of Super Bowl triumphs, the 215-pound Santos finished his career at UNH with 123 touchdown passes for 13,212 yards. He led New Hampshire to four consecutive berths in the 1-AA playoffs. After his senior year, Santos was selected to play in the Hula Bowl, one of the elite post-season college all-star games. Santos, whose uniform, No. 2, is retired at UNH, played 1 ˝ quarters, completed 10 of 15 passes for 165 yards, and directed his East squad to a touchdown and a field goal that led to a 38-7 victory over the West stars.

“The Hula Bowl was terrific preparation for the pro game,” Santos said, reflecting on his weeklong stay in Honolulu. “The coaches were helpful and we played in front of scouts from all the NFL teams.’’

Santos, who was in Bellingham briefly during the CFL season, took time to see his high school alma mater practice. A bit surprised by the Blackhawks’ winless record, he hopes the town’s fans will be patient. Santos knows the ups and downs that football cycles create.

“In past years, we had some great seasons,” Santos said. “There was a stretch of 7-8 years that were really good. Teams go through highs and lows. The team I saw looked young and a little undersized. It’s just one of those times and it will change.’’

And Santos is hoping there’ll be a change in his status— to a role on the active roster.

“All I can do is continue to work hard, stay positive and take advantage of opportunities when they arise,” Santos said. “That’s what happened at UNH.’’

A repeat of the successes he had in high school and college for his pro team, the Alouettes, would suit Ricky Santos just fine.

Big Cats
December 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
This UNI fan has always been impressed by Ricky Santos-both as a FB player and a person. I wish him nothing but the best in his career, whether it be in football or some other endeavor.

UNIFanSince1983
December 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Of course people on the Allouettes forum had no clue they are in Montreal they speak french up there :)

But seriously good luck to both players as I was very impressed with both of them as football players. David Ball was just one heck of a receiver.

UNHFan
December 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah great players just in case know one has seen these clips they are pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ikey0GSEYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww5lQa5s4Gs&feature=related

HLNgriz
December 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I wish David was not hurt when they played the Griz. You could tell he was really bumbed to not be playing. I had seats right behind the UNH bench, first row. Man was it loud, first night game at WaGriz.

smcwildcat
December 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I remember that woulda been awesome to have him that game