PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a fan of your team?

GrizzlyBill
December 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Is it because you happened to go to school there? Because you live there in the town? Because you old man works there? Because your old man played there in 1977?

For me, I got a degree at Montana, and I live within range of the games. How lucky is that?--to be located with the Griz, who have been fun to watch for a lot of years. I hope some teams like Northern Colorado and Hofstra build winning teams soon, so their fans can have the pleasure. I could just as easily have landed at the cow college in Bozeman. --Although it says something if Cat fans are disappointed with a 7-5 season. :D

Big Dawg
December 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I grew up in Tallahassee going to EVERY FAMU home game. It's a tradition in my family. Almost everyone in my family has graduated from Florida A&M.

Silenoz
December 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Sat in the grass endzones of Wa-Griz as a kid nearly every game, graduated from UM, lived most of my life in Missoula, etc

UNIFanSince1983
December 10th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Was born in December of 1983 as the name says, and later in December my parents took me to a UNI bball game. Ever since then I have been going to UNI games. My mother works there, my father went there and also used to run the clock for football games, my sister went there, and last May I graduated from UNI. I have always been and will always be a HUGE UNI Panther fan.

Chi Panther
December 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I attended Northern University High School.
My mom worked at UNI.
My 4 sisters and I all graduated from UNI....

ngineer
December 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Went to Lehigh. Was on the team two years, graduated and realized what a great time and degree I had.

wideright82
December 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Bandwagon

nah, just playin, i was on the team.

crunifan
December 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'm a student at UNI

GolfingGriz
December 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
My dad started taking me to games in 1993. I've missed 3 home games in 13 years.

Weems
December 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM
never heard of the team before i went to college at Tennessee-Martin. Now i am one of their biggest fans.

slostang
December 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Went to the games when I was a kid with my parents and later went to school and played football there.

veinup
December 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Grew up in Missoula, went to games as a lad, now a ttend UM.

UMass922
December 11th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Attended and graduated from UMass (class of '01), and was in the band.

T-Dog
December 11th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Going to App because they had a Journalism program, plus I always loved the mountains. Knew little about the football team before coming up here. My dad went to App in the early 80's but that was a dark time for App football.

Sucks to think that last Saturday was my last App football game as a student. :(

ASUdrummer
December 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm extremely proud to say that I attend Appalachian State University and I agree with T-Dog about last Saturday being my last game but there's many more to come as an Alumnus! I also respect Jerry Moore a ton since I've had the opportunity to sit and talk with him a few times about life; insanely wise man and not too bad of a ball coach. xthumbsupx

rjg129
December 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I grew up going to WSSU football and bball games and was always on SU's campus...Most of my family went there and now my little bro goes there...

I wanted to cheer in college, be away from home and be in the mountains...HBCU cheerleading, while its entertaining, it was not what i was looking for...Appalachian State University met all those criteria

cvbison1
December 11th, 2008, 01:28 AM
i became a NoDak State Bison fan when i was about 4. I was brought to a game. i love the great fans, the atmosphere, and the tradition. i basically bleed green and gold.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Both my parents graduated from Montana, I lived in Lolo and Missoula for almost ten years, have a dad who is crazy nuts about Griz football (I'm probably even more crazy nuts about it than him now, though xlolx), and I've been a UM student for 3 years now.

Used to go to Griz games when I was a kid, and this year's Cat Griz game is the first one I've ever missed seeing in person.

smegriz
December 11th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Went to home griz games as a young kid, probably 4, went to almost every home game for 12 years till 04. Still attend as much as I can. Will always remember those Saturdays with my dad and brother in the grass endzone seats.

Dignan
December 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I went to JMU and graduated in '98. Was in the band from '94-'96, so I saw quite a bit of them while I was there. It was cool to also get to visit some other I-AA/FCS stadiums during the regular season and playoffs, like Marshall (94, I think? triple overtime loss), Delaware and App St.

I think when we went to play App St in the playoffs (96?) they must have been in the process of their stadium expansion. If I remember correctly one side of the stadium was unusable/demolished and the place definitely didn't hold the 24,000 or whatever it is now. Pretty sure we lost handily on the field that day, although our band was better!

gophoenix
December 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I went to Elon in 1993 and decided via a coin flip between it and Appalachian State (after ruling out Catawba). I grew up in the area, so was used to seeing Elon highlights on TV. So it wasn't like it was an unknown name (at least to me).

When I was there, fan support sucked. And I mean SUCKED. If people think it was bad 4 years ago, seriously, you should have seen it in the 90s. I was in the band, was the only band member who cheered. And I cheered loud. After 4 years of doing that, and another 2-3 of doing that at other games with my group of friends and alumni, we started to build up a nice little student section that has built itself into the phoenix phanatics of today.

I'm a fan because I went there and because Elon is a classic underdog all the time.

JMU Newbill
December 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Graduated from JMU in 2006. Now I live in Richmond..... kind of bittersweet b/c I have not yet been able to find myself cheer for the UR football team.... although I must say I would like to see them win this weekend.

andy7171
December 11th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I played for Towson between '89-'93, graduated in '94.

jus10asu
December 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I had 2 family members play for ASU back in the 60's and I graduated from App in 07....PROUD TO BE A MOUNTAINEER... I now live right smack in the middle of the Elon area but I enjoy wearing my ASU gear everywhere I can around here.

OhioHen
December 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Started out as a student, continued for lo these many years.

AshevilleApp2
December 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Went to school and spent many $$$ there.

813Jag
December 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I grew up in Tallahassee going to EVERY FAMU home game. It's a tradition in my family. Almost everyone in my family has graduated from Florida A&M.
Change FAMU to Southern and you have my story. Funny thing is my father played football at Mississippi Valley and my sister went to UL-Laugh. Besides the fact that I grew up about 5 blocks from Southern and went to almost every game (home and away) until I moved in 2004.

OL FU
December 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Graduated from FU in 1979. Became a fan when I realized that sporting events were the best and easiest way for me to keep a part of the university close. Became a stronger devotee as I understood the importance of the student part of student athlete and how important it was to the level of football played by my alma mater.

Cobblestone
December 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM
1. Played.
2. Graduated.

bandl
December 11th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I went to Appy State.

DOH! xdohx

I mean, I went to JMU. xnodx

appstate1998
December 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Attended my first game when my mom was pregnant with me.....my dad took me to every home game growing up. He didn't go there but some of his best friends kid's were players in the 70's and 80's. My godfather also graduated from there in 1973 and always bought me App gear growing up. I knew I wanted to go to App since I was a kid. I got into UNC, Wake Forest, William and Mary and some other schools but the minute the App letter arrived they all went in the trash.

Went there and got a degree in Computer Information Systems....lived there for a total of 7 years counting school. Been on the field during a game...unfortunately not as a player but for homecoming court :(

So basically been a fan since in the womb....

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I went to school there. In NC it seems you have two choices, UNC or Duke. My dad was always for UNC--even had season seats to UNC (he didn't finish college). My brother went to soccer camp at ASU the summer before my freshman year in HS. I went with them to drop him off and we walked around Kidd Brewer and the campus. I told my dad that I was going to go to ASU. Started following them then and have been ever since.

Appalachian State Alum '03. xthumbsupx

--* My parents now have season seats at ASU.

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Born and raised in Delaware. Sister graduated UD in 1972, brother in 1976, me in 1989. Went to many games as a kid, listed to many more on AM radio with my dad. xthumbsupx

Hoseinexile07
December 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Graduated from Presbyterian in '07. I was planning to go to Wofford like my cousins did, but PC made me a deal I couldn't refuse. And I love PC. We've sure sucked it up in football this year, but as C.S. Lewis wrote in The Four Loves, "a man loves his [alma mater] not because it is great, but because it is his." xthumbsupx

Native
December 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
My kid plays there. :)

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Graduated from Presbyterian in '07. I was planning to go to Wofford like my cousins did, but PC made me a deal I couldn't refuse. And I love PC. We've sure sucked it up in football this year, but as C.S. Lewis wrote in The Four Loves, "a man loves his [alma mater] not because it is great, but because it is his." xthumbsupx

That's true, but luckily for most of us, our alma mater's are both. xthumbsupx

Hoseinexile07
December 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I should rephrase. "A man loves his [Blue Hose] not because [they are] great, but because [they are] his." That's what I meant. xrotatehx

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I should rephrase. "A man loves his [Blue Hose] not because [they are] great, but because [they are] his." That's what I meant. xrotatehx

Hey it's cool. I've been to Clinton, back in 2003 for the Alpha Sig Hawaiian Party. Nice place down there, except this hotel we stayed at, but we were all broke. xlolx

CrackerRiley
December 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM
App was the only school I applied to during high school. Got accepted and started in fall '05. Before coming to school here I didn't think once about the football team. Started going to the games, we started winning most of them and the rest is history.

gokats85
December 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Graduated from SHSU in 1985. During that time, I traveled with the football and basketball teams for two years shooting game tapes for my production projects.

JoshUCA
December 11th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Went to school at UCA and became a big fan while I was there...even though none of my friends were, because either they weren't into sports or they liked the razorpiggies. I just grew to love the atmosphere at UCA football games and have been hooked ever since! Graduated in 2005 and try to make as many games as I can!

mountain_man
December 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I am a 2001 graduate of ASU, and I am a High Country local. I grew up about 35 minutes from campus. Growing up, I went to football camp several years in a row. In high school I dated a girl that was a senior when I was a freshman. She would drive me to games on Saturday, and the Blue Ridge Parkway afterwards to celebrate, whether we won or not.xsmiley_wix

I applied to one school, I was accepted at one school, I attended that school.

I am, and always have been, a Mountaineer.xnodx

Aeacos
December 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Graduated from there along with most of my brothers and sisters. UNI Panthers all the way.

813Jag
December 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a lot of us had similar stories. Although Southern wasn't my first choice, the Branch Davidians took care of me going to my first choice.

I always flirted with the idea of playing bball with the Jags but the teams then were horrible.

catamount man
December 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I discovered WCU as a kid when my family used to camp at various campsites, parks, etc in WNC. I had WCU listed as one of the colleges I wanted to attend, but decided to stay in state but had always kept up with the team from afar. Started ordering tickets and going to sporting events in 2002 and have never looked back.

I still have plenty of goals and dreams for my life and one of them is to one day settle down in Jackson County, NC, home of WCU.

I feel at such peace when I am in and around Cullowhee......I can't explain it. I know we are not the greatest in our sporting endeavors, but I love the place, I simply and truly love it. Have met friends that will last me a lifetime there as well.

In closing, GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

utcfan
December 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Graduated from UTC. Attended most, if not all, football games (and basketball games) while going to UTC. Live in Chattanooga area. Continued to attend games as an alumni. Started taking my son to games when he was around 2 or 3. Still going to football and basetball.

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Born in Delaware. Raised in Delaware. Graduated from the University of Delaware. Live in Delaware. Season ticket holder for University of Delaware football.

MaroonDoom
December 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
A EKU grad. Tradition rich football program with too many records to mention.

proasu89
December 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Choose ASU over Elon and NC State. Just loved the mountains and never regretted the decision. Was able to play golf for 3 years and made great connections that helped me and the family move back to Boone 10 years ago. The wife got her undergrad and grad degrees at ASU and worked on campus for 5 years. My sister followed me up and was a Marching Mountaineer. Living so close has allowed me to be a volunteer asst. coach and attend as many football, basketball, and baseball games as possible. I was speaking to an old friend yesterday and it kills him that he hasn't been able to get back for a game in 10 yearsxsmhx I love my schoolxpeacex

bostonspider
December 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Graduate of the University of Richmond... Also somewhat of a Princeton fan, my dad's alma mater, and UNH, by brother's alma mater.

spider92
December 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Became a Spider fan as a student and stayed a fan as a alum! So excited in their recent success and the new stadium! I also have a soft spot for the Lafayette Leopards as my Dad is an alum.

DX Man
December 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM
The first time I attended a game at Conrad Stadium (Now Kidd Brewer), I was hooked. The atmosphere with a packed stadium became addictive. Sparky Woods was the coach of the Mountaineers and he had some great teams. He helped lay the foundation for the great success we are having now.xpeacex

UCABEARS75
December 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Class of '75

McNeese72
December 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Graduated from McNeese in 1972.

I think with the FCS schools that there are a larger percentage of fans that were alumni of those schools than there are at the FBS schools.

There are a lot more fans for a lot of the FBS schools (especially the BCS types) but a there are a bigger percentage of them (than the FCS schools) that are just the bandwagon type (live in the area or state, like the colors or mascots, or they are the popular team because they are winning the past few years).

It has always been my theory, that more FCS fans are more knowledgable about their programs and are more cordial to opposing fans because they are more tied to their schools (from being alumni) than BCS school fans. They don't like doing anything that might be embarrassing to their schools. Of course, a lot of the student body can be exceptions. :)

This is just my opinion, though.

Doc

Appaholic69
December 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I was born and raised in an area called Grandfather Community outside of Boone. I've played football on ASU's field in middle school and high school. I've always been around Appalachian State and followed their sports programs.

I'm currently a senior now at Appalachian. I could have attended my favorite school in basketball, Chapel Hill, but I chose to be close to my family and get my education here. This is where my sports roots live.

chrisattsu
December 11th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Fandom-

D2-
Tarleton. Went there for my undergrad

FCS-
Texas State. Grad School
Northern Iowa. StepDad's Alma Mater

FBS-
U of Iowa. grew up Iowa City, raised in a Hawkeye family.

chrisattsu
December 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I think with the FCS schools that there are a larger percentage of fans that were alumni of those schools than there are at the FBS schools.

There are a lot more fans for a lot of the FBS schools (especially the BCS types) but a there are a bigger percentage of them (than the FCS schools) that are just the bandwagon type (live in the area or state, like the colors or mascots, or they are the popular team because they are winning the past few years).

It has always been my theory, that more FCS fans are more knowledgable about their programs and are more cordial to opposing fans because they are more tied to their schools (from being alumni) than BCS school fans. They don't like doing anything that might be embarrassing to their schools. Of course, a lot of the student body can be exceptions. :)

Doc

Excellent Point Doc. I think you see the same thing with D2, and D3 as well. It is very much a niche market market.

Biff
December 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Graduated in 2002, but my dad was class of '75. So I was a fan before I was a student of alum.

Not a player. I have had two herniated disks since I was 14. Probably would be handicapped if I did play. I was a member of the Pipe Band.

saccat
December 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Born in bozeman. Have had season tix since I was about 6-7 years old. Uncle played Basketball for the cats. Now live in bozeman again. When I lived out of state I would fly back for every home game, and about half of the home basketball games.

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Sat in the grass endzones of Wa-Griz as a kid nearly every game, graduated from UM, lived most of my life in Missoula, etc

As the nick says, I was born into the Griz Family.

Sitting in the Grass endzones as a kid? I suppose I did that to when I was a "kid", but you have not lived unless you sat in the bleachers at Dornblazer where the wind blew right through you. Good times, good times. At least I had plenty of anti-freeze to keep me warm.

My favorite memory of Dornblazer was the Brian Solonan "Helicopter" catch. Brian went up high for a catch and got slammed by a DB and heli'd down to the turf all the while clutching the football for another TOUCHDOWN MONTANA!!!

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Born in bozeman. Have had season tix since I was about 6-7 years old. Uncle played Basketball for the cats. Now live in bozeman again. When I lived out of state I would fly back for every home game, and about half of the home basketball games.

Bummer, dude. I feel for you. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick you family. ;-)

PS, sorry I couldn't resist. I tried, honest.

bjtheflamesfan
December 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have been a student at Liberty since 2002 (and as of May 9, 2009 I will be a graduate) and I just fell in love with the school as Ive been here and I cant wait to get season tickets and go to the football and basketball games.

blur2005
December 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
My dad teaches at JMU so I was born and raised in Harrisonburg and I started going to JMU games at the age of seven or so.

appirishmen
December 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
i am a fan of Appalachian because both of my parents graduated from there and my grandma lives only 30 mins away so i basically grew up around the mountains. i grew up as a kid going to the football games....and they were bad haha....now i attend App. i knew from when i was a kid that i was going to go to App.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Had 2 sons participate in the great success story that has been UNH Wildcat football since 2004. Love the "Football Family" there.

Canyoncat
December 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
My whole family (brothers, sister, mother, father, cousins and grandparents) graduated from Montana State. Well, all except me because I went to an NAIA school in Montana. Just plain born and raised a Bobcat fan!

LacesOut
December 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
It's close to where I live/grew up.

appstate38
December 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I attended App and played for Coach Moore in the early years (1989-1992) when he first arrived. Met and married my wife there and our first child was born in Boone. No brainer on who I pull for.

Eaglesrus
December 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Graduated from GA Southern College in '73; yes, even before the program was restarted in the early '80s. Even in the early '70s there was a lot of talk about a need to have a football team. At that time there was even a good bit of comment to the effect that we should be able to have a decent small college team just using guys that were playing intramurals. I think having missed the college football experience while I was in school made me all that more enthused when the announcement was made that we were going to re-start the program, and then when it was announced that Erk Russell was going to seal the deal that pretty much insured that I would/will be a life-long fan. Doesn't hurt that I only live 50 miles away, either.

gokats85
December 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Doc

Spot on. Down here, we call those people "T-Shirt Fans".

Silenoz
December 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
As the nick says, I was born into the Griz Family.

Sitting in the Grass endzones as a kid? I suppose I did that to when I was a "kid", but you have not lived unless you sat in the bleachers at Dornblazer where the wind blew right through you. Good times, good times. At least I had plenty of anti-freeze to keep me warm.

My favorite memory of Dornblazer was the Brian Solonan "Helicopter" catch. Brian went up high for a catch and got slammed by a DB and heli'd down to the turf all the while clutching the football for another TOUCHDOWN MONTANA!!!

Well I'm only 24 xlolx

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I grew up in Cedar Falls and went to UNI.
Grandmother, father, mother & brother all went to UNI.
Brother was a walk-on for football and (tried) to play for two years. Was never big enough or fast enough.

I worked at the UNI-Dome for two years in college during games.

soccerguy315
December 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
graduated from W&M in May 08... lots of time in the pep band over 4 years.

I now really enjoy FCS football, which I didn't know much about before I came to school! =)

Purple For Life
December 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Did my undergrad there, doing my masters there. Ran board for UNI football radio broadcasts and volleyball for two seasons, men's and women's basketball for a season and a half.

mtgrizzly
December 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Born into a mixed marriage my dad graduated from UM and my mom from MSU. Went to games with my father as a kid and became a diehard griz fan. Haven't missed a home game in 10 years.

Thank God my dad had the better influence on me as I don't know how I could survive as a kitty fan.

BEAR
December 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Because of one day that day is burned into my memory forever. When I was an elementary student, a UCA Bear football player came to my school (several actually), became my friend, and waived at me during one of the UCA home games he invited us to. UCA athletes still go do public service projects all the time and that time it just happened to be at my school (way back then xlolx ). I remember they were physically huge with giant white numbers on their football jerseys and my teacher said they were going to read with us. I later attended UCA and now am working toward my master's degree there. When a school cares enough to do things like that, it's hard not to be a fan. Plus the winning tradition helps..xwhistlex xlolx

mtnman
December 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
i am from boone and have been going to games as long as i can remember.in high school we played our home games at asu and we got in free back in the day.i have not missed but 6-7 games since the 80s

SunCoastBlueHen
December 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Because 89Hen is.

terrierbob
December 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
My brother, uncle and I graduated from Wofford. Attended games as a child in NAIA glory days in 69-70. Followed them ever since, with much more enthusiasm since they've been in the SoCon. Love the (waning) underterrier role.

Besides-- we're good, fun to watch, and have a great program that emphasizes character as much, if not more than, athleticism.

Ayers.

GSU supporters can't stand it when we beat them.

That we're respectful.

Etc.

WWII
December 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Played there, now an alum.

ASUG8
December 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
First in my family to attend ASU, met my wife there, and my brother transferred there so between the three of us we keep each other pretty motivated during the fall.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
<-------- 4 awesome years and I only saw 6 loosing games in that time :)

Mountain Panther
December 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Played there, now an alum.

Where is "there?" xconfusedx

EKU05
December 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Graduated from EKU in 2005...first in my family to go there other than an uncle by marriage who attended EKU for two years and has a degree from there.

appfan2008
December 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
met my beautiful bride there... neither of us had any connection to the school both only applied to one place and we met freshman year before classes started in the summer... id say it is a special place... that is why i love the school... but as for football I LOVE FOOTBALL and I LOVE ASU put them together and we are all good!!!

Shellin
December 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I moved to Missoula when I was two years old and had season tickets to Griz games with my parents from when I was 5 years old in 1993 until I graduated High School and moved away for college. I still make it back to Missoula for a game or two each year and usually catch the game at Eastern when we play there since it is close by.

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Well I'm only 24 xlolx

I remember when I was 24........well.....most of it anyway.

Double it and then you're in the ballpark.

DuckDuckGriz
December 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
When people ask me where I grew up I like to say East Side - Section 127 Row 21 Seat 5.

Went to my first Griz game during the playoffs of 1989. Sure I don't remember but musta stuck with me then. Didn't miss a home game from October of 1994 to September of 2005.

Was a Little Grizzly. Was at the Press Box every week to "meet" Don Read till he knew me on a first name basis.

Have no family ties to UM other than my aunt being a cheerleader there in the 70s. Did snow angels in the grass endzones after Andy's kick against McNeese in 94, listened to President Clinton call Dave Dickenson when they retired his number in 95, rode on Raul Pacheco's shoulders after the miracle win in Bozeman in 97, and walked with Drew Miller on crutches in the rain after losing in Chatty in 2000.

Only the most loyal Montanans and members of Griz Nation can understand the feeling. Strangers hug strangers, and on road games everyone is family. It's a feeling that goes far into the depths of your soul that if God and the Griz played a football game you would have a very hard time deciding who to root for.

No matter how far away you get the feeling doesn't fade. When Oregon and Montana played at Autzen in 2005 - the Griz scored a TD on a long bomb and I jumped up and screamed in the UO student section without taking a minute to think. As if it was an instant physical reaction - and that's when I knew it was a feeling I would never shake.

When people joke or say that people in Montana live and die by the Griz they mean it.

Only when you are a member of the Nation you will understand the mystique of number 37, the adrenaline of the Hellgate Winds, the power of the North Endzone, and the satisfaction of hearing the squeal of the pig floating on the air from the tummy of the Grizzly Bear.

RabidRabbit
December 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Father graduated from SDSU, and returned to teach there for 31 years. He and mom established a scholarship in chemistry there.

4 yr letterman (swimming), and a CE degree that sprung me into a fulfilling career.

McCrory Gardens Trellis contributor.

Alumni Director sits in office named for my uncle, at his congressional desk.

Hometown/had the AD as HS student teacher/swim coach still there. LOTS OF CONNECTIONS!

kkkk2008
December 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Fandom-

D2-
Tarleton. Went there for my undergrad

FCS-
Texas State. Grad School
Northern Iowa. StepDad's Alma Mater

FBS-
U of Iowa. grew up Iowa City, raised in a Hawkeye family.

I like this premise.

Junior College-
Vermillion Community College, Ely, MN. Because my daughter graduated from there.

NAIA-
Midland Lutheran College, Fremont, NE. Because I worked there.

NCAA III-
Wartburg College, Waverly, IA. Because I live there and the W rocks.

NCAA II-
Upper Iowa University, Fayette, IA. Because I worked there.

NCAA FCS-
University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA. Because I graduated from there. The Panthers Rule, Baby!!!!!

NCAA FBS-
Noboby. Because Iowa and Iowa State suck compared to the Panthers!

gbhmt
December 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Moved from Texas to Missoula when I was five, heard from the locals that it's a big tradition, got season tickets the first year (went out on a limb with that, but we moved because my mother got a teaching job at the university, so she got a discount), and I've sat in the same seat in the North Endzone for every home game since then. Favorite part of the year.

BirdieJack
December 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Moved back to SD in 2004.

I love to tell people who ask me...why are you such a huge Jackrabbit fan even though you're not an alum???

Simply put..."SDSU had the Ballsack to make the D-I move when so many, small-minded pu$$ies in this state thought they were crazy."

Good piece of info for y'all...South Dakota was the LAST state in the nation to NOT have one single NCAA D-I program...Dumbest thing I'd ever heard.xnonono2x IMO, the move was 20 years overdue.

Now, almost 5 years later...it's not a question of will I buy season tickets, tailgate spot and travel to any FBS/SDSU/UNI game...it's where do I send the check!!xsmiley_wix

Go Jacks!!

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Best University ever....DUH!!!

UNCBears2010
December 11th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Both parents went to UNC.
I haven't missed a home football game since 1994.
I'm a curent student at UNC.

slycat
December 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Went to Texas State

WildcatFan
December 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
My son played there. He made life-long friends on the team and the coaching staff.

WWII
December 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Where is "there?" xconfusedx

Albany

SideLine Shooter
December 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
If you have ever been to Boone on a beautiful Fall Saturday to see the Mountaineers play, you couldn't help but be a Mountaineer Fan.xnodx

Reign of Terrier
December 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Because I hate Furman!!!!

:p My dad went to Wofford

KiddBrewer
December 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
cause my family went to app, basically all of them, and i am a senior at app.

JohnStOnge
December 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I was born and raised in Lake Charles. My Dad took me to McNeese games. When I was ready to graduate from High School a high school counselor convinced me to go to LSU. While I was at LSU, instead of going to LSU games, I went back to Lake Charles on weekends to watch McNeese games. I lasted one semester there and ended up going to McNeese.

appsfan
December 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM
My wife went ASU, my daughter is a junior there, and my alma mater (UNCG) doesn't have football. You could say that I married into the ASU family...xthumbsupx

NoCoDanny
December 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I ask myself that question 10 Saturdays a year... xlolx xbawlingx

DOME
December 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm a UNI alum...
My support really gelled as I realized what quality programs UNI fields, beyond football and such. Nobody really respects them around the state which made me like them even more.
What really tripped my trigger was one night at the bars some guy standing on a barstool yelling about Iowa St beating Iowa, I said 'Hey, ISU is for Farmers and F@ggots, did you happen to notice were in Cedar Falls and UNI won too!' Got in a fight over the deal and have been diehard ever since.

LeopardFan04
December 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Lafayette Alum

madisonfan87
December 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Will be a JMU alum in 5 months. More than enough reason to support the Dukes. I actually applied to Delaware as my first choice and JMU as my second. Now that I look back on it, it worked out pretty well regardless of which school I went to since both have had great success in recent years. My girlfriend goes to UD and bleeds Blue and Gold. Coincidentally, I'm from VA and she's from DE.

grizband
December 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Both parents attended Montana, along with numerous relatives; even those that didn't attend are fans! Cheering on Montana is a family tradition, at least in half of the family.

tandemlax
December 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'm a junior at W&M and haven't missed a game since freshman year. I started tutoring some of the players this fall, and knowing the guys has made me follow the team more closely than ever.

Hail-Hail
December 12th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Senior at SC State and born and raised in Orangeburg. Started following the dogs when I played little league and the coaches were all students at State as well as members of Omega Psi Phi. Let's face it....I bleed Garnet and Blue.

elon77
December 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Because I met my beautiful and charming wife there and have chillins there now. But I also do love ODU basketball. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Eaglesrus
December 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM
If you have ever been to Boone on a beautiful Fall Saturday to see the Mountaineers play, you couldn't help but be a Mountaineer Fan.xnodx

Not totally accurate; I've done that but still am not a fan xrotatehx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Because I met my beautiful and charming wife there and have chillins there now. But I also do love ODU basketball. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Haha CAA traitor!

hippy@GSU
December 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I am a fan bc I live 35 miles from Statesboro and grew up hearing about the miracle known as the GSU football program. Growing up I was set on attending GSU, and when the day came I happily applied. I am now in my third year and couldnt be happier (although my class probably has one of the worst football records, starting with the VanGoober year in '06). I have had a heck of a time and can only look forward to the good things to come!!

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I'm sorry. I can't hear you, you're dead to me now.

BTW, Wendy Larry's a man. :p

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
My first college game was my soph or junior year of highschool, it was a GSU home game to watch them beat up on Furman, awesome awesome game!

SideLine Shooter
December 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Graduated from GA Southern College in '73; yes, even before the program was restarted in the early '80s. Even in the early '70s there was a lot of talk about a need to have a football team. At that time there was even a good bit of comment to the effect that we should be able to have a decent small college team just using guys that were playing intramurals. I think having missed the college football experience while I was in school made me all that more enthused when the announcement was made that we were going to re-start the program, and then when it was announced that Erk Russell was going to seal the deal that pretty much insured that I would/will be a life-long fan. Doesn't hurt that I only live 50 miles away, either.

And all this time I thought it was the gnats and odor!xlolx

Just kidding. I know from experience that the GSU fans have a gooood time on game day. Usually at the expense of the visiting fans.xthumbsupx

ncbears
December 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Why am I a fan of UNC? I ask myself that almost every weekend because they lose almost every weekend.

wkuhillhound
December 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Western Kentucky was the only in-state school that actively pursued me to attend. If you want me, I'm a fan for life. Two other college pursued interest and those were Mercer and Truman State.

Thank you WKU and I will never regret my bachelor's degree either.
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

elon77
December 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry. I can't hear you, you're dead to me now.

BTW, Wendy Larry's a man. :p

I have heard that JMU is starting a men's basketball team, is that true?xlolx xlolx xlolx

ToTheLeft
December 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I attend Liberty, which is why I am a fan of the Flames.

As for my FBS team, Colorado State...

I am from Florida originally, and started my life as an FSU fan. I got sick of the rivalry and all the arrests and "Criminole" jokes, so I wanted a new team.

I told myself "The next game I see on TV, I am going to watch it, and whoever wins will be my new team."

And on that Thursday night, I was flipping thru the channels and on ESPN2, there was a Colorado State v. Air Force game.

I thought to myself "Dangit, now I have to pick one of these teams."

I'm pretty sure if Air Force had won, I would have tried again on Saturday.

Regardless, that's how I became a Colorado State fan.

blukeys
December 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I have heard that JMU is starting a men's basketball team, is that true?xlolx xlolx xlolx

This is Only partially true. They are trying to get a group of players to compete in the Men's Basketball Division.

Unfortunately, the best BB players on campus, the women's JMU team, couldn't get around the scheduling conflicts.

Delaware is considering the same option. xsmiley_wix

elon77
December 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
This is Only partially true. They are trying to get a group of players to compete in the Men's Basketball Division.

Unfortunately, the best BB players on campus, the women's JMU team, couldn't get around the scheduling conflicts.

Delaware is considering the same option. xsmiley_wix

I saw your boys play last weekend, they are getting better. But JMU? xconfusedx

saccat
December 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Bummer, dude. I feel for you. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick you family. ;-)

PS, sorry I couldn't resist. I tried, honest.

I couldn't be happier. Win or lose (and there has been to much of the latter) I will always be a bobcat.

GO CATS!!! (and JMU...sorry I couldn't resist);)

blukeys
December 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I saw your boys play last weekend, they are getting better. But JMU? xconfusedx

DUH!!! I already said that they had to find the best B Ball players on the distaff side.

This is no surprise. I have heard some of the best men on the JMU campus are women. xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx ;) ;) ;) xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

I am sorry this comment is off topic and this type of comment should be relegated to the Smack. I guess I just could not restrain myself as it is Friday afternoon and I am enjoying my second Jack on the Rocks.

Heading over to Crapsville later.

ur2k
December 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Graduated from JMU in 2006. Now I live in Richmond..... kind of bittersweet b/c I have not yet been able to find myself cheer for the UR football team.... although I must say I would like to see them win this weekend.

We're not nearly as bad as some of your fellow JMU folks would lead you to believe. xlolx

I'm a fan of UR as an alumnus. Graduated in 2000. Didn't pay much attention to the team as a grad until Clawson came along and turned the ship around.

YaleFootballFan
December 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I was raised in a family that's been attending Yale football games since the mid 1930s. I guess we can credit that to my late uncle who graduated from Yale in 1935.

GrizzlyBill
December 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM
So, from a sample of over 100, it appears we are all a bunch of homers and bandwagon riders, who don't have much more reason for supporting one team or the other than its where we happened to land.

I could as easily have landed in Bozeman!

mountaineertider
December 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Turned down scholarships from major colleges (ones that make people say WHY DID YOU NOT GO THERE??) to come to App.

I loved the atmosphere up here from the start, and wanted to go to a school with a reputable accounting program. I've loved football since birth, so being an App fan was really no choice for me, I came to the GA Southern game in 2005, and knew that (then) I-AA football was no joke.

89rabbit
December 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
My folks met at SDSU, Dad is an Alum so I grew up loving the Rabbits. I also graduated from South Dakota's Land Grant institution!

DirtyWater
December 15th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Had several of my High School team members play at UM in the late 80's early 90's. At the time UM just recruited more players from Butte so it was easy to become a fan and go watch your home grown boys play...as is today with Colt Anderson.

Gil Dobie
December 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Watched North Dakota State University win 3 National Championships as a youth, and 5 more as a student and alum.

wocterrier
December 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Graduated Wofford in 1988. We won fewer football games in all of my four years (84-88) than we won during the '03 season when we made it to the national semi-finals. We were there pre-Mike Ayers unfortunately. My closest college friends and I now attend all Wofford home games with our families. Have been since about 2001. We all combine to tailgate each game (usually 20-25 people). We go to most of the away games as well. Watching Mike Ayers and Co. do more with less by running the confusing wishbone spread has been awesome. Getting together with my frat brothers nearly every Saturday in the fall, now 20 years after we graduated, is something I never thought I'd be doing. Like the commercial goes....priceless. Wofford football has been the catalyst for it all.

neersnbeers
December 15th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm an App fan because Saturdays at the Rock is gives me the same great feeling like after sex. Honestly its that "I am satisfied!" feeling.
The roots go back to 1989. Grew up an hour north of Boone and with my uncle being an Alum fall Saturdays were spent at KBS.

DSUrocks07
December 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Born and raised in the area. Lived in the Dover area for a majority of my life. Was always fond of DSU and really want to see them succeed in not only the athletic aspect but also academically. Hate the fact that were almost considered a third-tier school, behind UD and Wesley, but we are making strides. Would love to see DSU to be held to as high a regard as UD is currently. (I'm sure that would scare some UD fans and alumnus to death xlolx). There's a lot working against us right now. (Alumni afraid of change, incompetent leaders of the MEAC, lack of local fan support, lack of positive exposure to the community.) But I am working as hard as I can to change that xthumbsupx

And maybe one day my dream will come true ;)

wkuhillhound
December 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Western Kentucky was the only in-state school that actively pursued me to attend. If you want me, I'm a fan for life. Two other college pursued interest and those were Mercer and Truman State.

Thank you WKU and I will never regret my bachelor's degree either.
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Just to add. My uncle also attended WKU and several cousins before and after me also attended. A very rich Hilltopper tradition. xthumbsupx xnodx

813Jag
December 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I attend Liberty, which is why I am a fan of the Flames.

As for my FBS team, Colorado State...

I am from Florida originally, and started my life as an FSU fan. I got sick of the rivalry and all the arrests and "Criminole" jokes, so I wanted a new team.
I told myself "The next game I see on TV, I am going to watch it, and whoever wins will be my new team."

And on that Thursday night, I was flipping thru the channels and on ESPN2, there was a Colorado State v. Air Force game.

I thought to myself "Dangit, now I have to pick one of these teams."

I'm pretty sure if Air Force had won, I would have tried again on Saturday.

Regardless, that's how I became a Colorado State fan.
That's the main reason to stay with the team, you gotta fight those battles, I've heard it all Free Shoes University, Semi-hoes, Criminoles, you name it. I've been forced (not literally) to watch the 96 Sugar Bowl. I've gotten "It's Great to be a Florida Gator" texts at ungodly hours. I've heard "Wide Right" "Wide Left" as many times as possible. It's comes with the territory.

wkuhillhound
December 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
That's the main reason to stay with the team, you gotta fight those battles, I've heard it all Free Shoes University, Semi-hoes, Criminoles, you name it. I've been forced (not literally) to watch the 96 Sugar Bowl. I've gotten "It's Great to be a Florida Gator" texts at ungodly hours. I've heard "Wide Right" "Wide Left" as many times as possible. It's comes with the territory.

Must remember reference when WKU plays Florida State later this month. xpeacex

Not as optimistic about this game as I was earlier. It should be a good game. :D

MSU_77
December 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Grew up in SE Texas as a fan of the Lamar Cardinals (yes, Virginia, Lamar had/will have a once and future Div I football team) in the 60s and early 70s. Was recruited by McNeese to be in the band, turned down scholly from Texas A&M to attend McNeese, which though in a neighboring state is only 60 miles east of Lamar. Graduated from McNeese in 1977 and have been a fan since, though sadly I now reside 1500 miles away. Grateful for the rise of the Internet, which has helped me keep close tabs on McNeese sports from a distance.

Silenoz
December 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
So, from a sample of over 100, it appears we are all a bunch of homers and bandwagon riders, who don't have much more reason for supporting one team or the other than its where we happened to land.

I could as easily have landed in Bozeman!

Well yeah, people who don't do this latch onto the USC, tOSU or Michigan bandwagons xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I'm a fan because I'm an alum. I always attended a few games a year, especially those close to CT (UConn, UMass, URI, Northeastern, etc.) or near the residence of alum friends (Delaware, Villanova, Towson, etc.). When message boards for America East and I-AA football surfaced around the turn of the century, I increased my support for my alma mater when I saw the passion and commitment of so many fans from other schools. Becoming involved with our basketball program at that time resulted in attending some home football games in 2001-2003 (other than Homecoming) and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed football games in Durham.

Then with three of the first five games in 2004 played near the homes of good friends in the Philly metro area, I was lucky enough to witness the UNH victories over Delaware, Rutgers and Villanova. This would also be known as the Ricky Santos-David Ball Breakout Tour. The excellence on the field led me into becoming a season ticket holder and attending as many games as possible. Travel allowed me to see playoff games at GA Southern and Hampton. Along the way I've formed wonderful friendships with many within Wildcat Nation. And doing the road warrior routine has also led to meeting many AGS members from other schools. Tailgating with the likes of Henfan, Husky Alum, Cobblestone, Uncle Buck, Blukeys, Tribe4SF, PantherRob82, etc. and I'm a proud member of the cult called AGS!

Along the way I witnessed first hand what a terrific family atmosphere Sean McDonnell and staff have built at UNH. How the team develops players, graduates their players, how many good kids the team has, how the team achieves despite having inferior facilities and high academic expectations, etc. Add in the great friendship and camaraderie and I've evolved from somewhat casual fan to a pretty solid supporter of the program to hard core road warrior who as much as possible plans his life around UNH Football. Never in my life did I think I would ever fly or drive to Iowa to watch UNH Football and I've now done both! xnodx xeekx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

Ivytalk
December 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM
As an alum, I disagree with a lot of what Harvard has done in recent years, and most of my beefs are political. Supporting Harvard football gives me a chance to be positive about the school in at least one small way.:)

813Jag
December 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Must remember reference when WKU plays Florida State later this month. xpeacex

Not as optimistic about this game as I was earlier. It should be a good game. :D
I've heard it all, bring it on. xlolx Right now the team looks good. Some of the younger players are playing well.

catdaddy2402
December 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'm somewhat different than the majority on here in that I don't really have one specific team. I've been to football games at every school in SC, with the exception of Coastal and North Greenville, so I pull for most of the FCS teams in state. I have a younger cousin who's attending Coastal, so we are planning on making a weekend trip down to Conway next fall for a game.

I say most because the only time I find myself pulling for The Citadel is when they play the shamecocks, and the Lutheran in me simply will not allow me to pull for PC.

I've been to several Furman games going back to high school, they were always fun.

I have not been to Wofford since the move to DI, but went to a game almost every year from '85 - '90. I did go over to watch the game this year against the shamecocks....so very close.

My only trip to Charleston Southern was a trip to see Newberry destroy them in '94. I had a relative on the Newberry coaching staff at that time, so we went to a bunch of Newberry games then.

Probably the best experiences I have had have been in Orangeburg. The Bulldogs know how to throw out the welcome mat, even for a skinny little white boy.xthumbsupx

PC was always a good experience, except for the fact we lost the Derby too many times.xbawlingx

All in all I like good football, and that's something we tend to always have in abundance here in the Palmetto State.

APPStrongNC
December 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Appalachian State for me.
Spent three years (02-04) in BOONE, met my wife and obtain a degree in Social Work. However, I was not a ASU fan growing up. Neither my parents went to college (father spent four years in V-Nam) and only a few of my extended family did. I guess I was raised a ACC fan, but this was only due to friends at school's family who attend ACC schools.
I find great pride in knowing I have a diploma on the wall at work from ASU. That I can help show my unborn son how truly great it is to be a mountaineer.
Power to the FCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-Dawg95
December 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
1. Attended Wofford
2. Played at Wofford
3. Graduated from Wofford

If I seem like a recent addition, there's a reason...

PS: Delaware fans, the minute I heard Schoenhoft was your QB of the future, I felt for you. I played with him in high school. He's got talent out the ass, but just could never get it all together.

bandl
December 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have to admit….I'm a fan of Montana now. The Montana lovefest that has sprouted up here on AGS over the past couple weeks has really endeared me to the team. Their fans are just too damn cute and cuddly recently (Can we get a hugging emoticon on here?? xconfusedx ). Seriously, if I could just bottle up all that love and hugs that Montana fans have for their football team, I’d have enough mojo to start my own 8-man football league in my backyard. xnodx Reminds me of all those motivational and inspirational children’s tales and cheerleading chants that we all secretly love and use to pep ourselves up. You know, the children’s story “The Little Engine That Could”; The cheer “We’ve got spirit, yes we do, we’ve got spirit, yes we do”; and the Aesop fable that can basically be summed up with (although slighty de-motivational) “Only winners have enough heart to win. Losers, it turns out, don’t have a heart.” It’s just so damn adorable! :)

AndrewFU21
December 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
FU class of 2009 here.

Mountain Panther
December 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM
FU class of 2009 here.

Assuming you graduate. xeyebrowx

j/k xsmiley_wix

phoenixphanatic21
December 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I am a proud member of Elon's class of 2010.

SeattleGriz
December 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Graduated from The University of Montana in 1993, so right there you can see I have known nothing but great football from the teams over the years. I like to think I brought the winning ways with me when I started school.

More importantly, are those teams were filled with kids from Montana. I even competed against some of them when I was in high school.

I almost would have given my first born to play for the Griz. I played 6 man football and dreamt big, like many others playing high school ball.

The ones that do make it, play like it. That is why I love this team.

Montana has a fantastic system that teaches great fundamentals, plays a fun game to watch, and gets 100% effort from everyone on the team.