PDA

View Full Version : Pat Devlin Transferring

JmuSkinsfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
So, it was posted on the CAA zone that Pat Devlin, 4 star and 4th rated QB in the class of 2006, has decided to transfer from Penn State. His schools of interest include JMU, Villanova, and Delaware....

DISCUSS

UNI Pike
December 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Delaware doesn't have a need, they groom their own QBs- oops, where's the "unpost button"?

WrenFGun
December 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
There is no doubt he's going to go to UD, if he goes the FCS level.

achrist70
December 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Is he the one that came into the end of the Ohio State game?

ngineer
December 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Yes. He's got talent. Just more in the classic 'drop back mode' as opposed to being able to run. Can't really blame him. He can start for alot of other BCS schools.

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Yup. Game winning drive.

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2008, 06:34 AM
UD has gotta be the favorite. Downingtown is an hour or less from UD's campus, there's no QB competition, the job would be his, the successful transfer record (think it hurts you can't go a day without hearing the name Joe Flacco?), and UD has an assistant on staff, Aaron Harris who's a hometown legend from Devlin's high school.

Instantly would turn UD from a projected 5th place team in the CAA South next year to a title contender.

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
So I'm thinking if he transfers to UD, KC Keeler will have a four-way competition at QB in the preseason. xsmiley_wix

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM
So I'm thinking if he transfers to UD, KC Keeler will have a four-way competition at QB in the preseason. xsmiley_wix

I doubt he goes to JMU. Duzdik and Thorpe seem pretty engraved into the system at this point.

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Yea, I know KC comes out & says that every year, but he'd really have a difficult time saying that with a straight face this spring. Reading more & more about it, looks like it's pretty close to a sure thing Newark is the end destination.

Longhorn
December 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
There is no doubt he's going to go to UD, if he goes the FCS level.

That makes the most sense.

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Instantly would turn UD from a projected 5th place team in the CAA South next year to a title contender.
Uhhh, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We knew Flacco was going to be hard to replace, but we did think Schoenhoft was going to be good when he first announced he was coming to UD. It wasn't until he was through spring practice that we had our first doubts. xpeacex

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Just theory...

Morning Report: Pat Devlin a Blue Hen? (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sports_breaking/20081211_Morning_Report__Pat_Devlin_a_Blue_Hen_.ht ml)

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 07:49 AM
The Altoona Mirror said that he's considering Villanova, JMU, and UD
Villanova doesn't need him.. but you don't say no to a good kid who's that talented. A plus on him is that he doesn't have a unibrow :p

Longhorn
December 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Uhhh, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We knew Flacco was going to be hard to replace, but we did think Schoenhoft was going to be good when he first announced he was coming to UD. It wasn't until he was through spring practice that we had our first doubts. xpeacex

UD would be better no doubt about that. Title contender? Not so fast my friend. ;) UD still needs a couple new OL and a RB or two. Perhaps if Robbie can block at TE?

WildPard
December 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Any chance for Lehigh or Lafayette? Both could use him and both are closer to his home.

henfan
December 11th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Any chance for Lehigh or Lafayette? Both could use him and both are closer to his home.

Pard, Newark is considerably closer to Downingtown (Devlin's home) than either Bethlehem or Easton.

From what I'm hearing, Devlin is leaning towards UD.

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
UD still needs a couple new OL and a RB or two.
I honestly didn't realize Jabbie and Smith were both seniors, but Thaxton, Butler, Bradley plus a slew of youngers guys will be back. I'm sure there will be at least one OL transfer, but you are correct that the OL needs to improve.

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah, we already got Ryan O'Neil :)

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Pard, Newark is considerably closer to Downingtown (Devlin's home) than either Bethlehem or Easton.

And I'd have to believe the PL being a one bid league lately has to hurt as well. National TV is limited to playoffs so a CAA would be a better choice IMO.

ngineer
December 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Actually, not much different. Bethlehem is only about an hour away up the NE Extension. Easton another 20 minutes to the East. However, Lehigh is pretty set at QB with Soph. Clark finishing very strong this year, and Freshman Lum receiving ooohs and aaahs from a lot of observers. Spring practice is going to be something to watch at South Mountain, keeping in mind Cisneros is not bad either.
Lafayette, OTOH, may be more in the market.

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Sounding like the question is not if but when?

SunCoastBlueHen
December 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM

I'm not sure that adding Devlin would make UD an automatic contender, but he is certainly more of a proven commodity than Schoenhoft was before he transferred.

We are comparing a kid that has already shown ability on the field at the FBS level vs. a kid that had recently been moved from QB to TE.

xpeacex

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure that adding Devlin would make UD an automatic contender, but he is certainly more of a proven commodity than Schoenhoft was before he transferred.

We are comparing a kid that has already shown ability on the field at the FBS level vs. a kid that had recently been moved from QB to TE.
I'm just saying we were all pretty excited about Schoenhoft when first announced. It may have been the 6'6" - 240lbs that were identical to Flacco. xeyebrowx

Rob Iola
December 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
And I'd have to believe the PL being a one bid league lately has to hurt as well. National TV is limited to playoffs so a CAA would be a better choice IMO.
Maybe if Dayton transferred in they'd have a better reputation...

SunCoastBlueHen
December 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm just saying we were all pretty excited about Schoenhoft when first announced. It may have been the 6'6" - 240lbs that were identical to Flacco. xeyebrowx

Unfortunately, I think the coaches may have been overly excited about RS for the exact same reason.

ChickenMan
December 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM
There were rumors last year that Pat Devlin was headed to UD.. but he decided to stay at PSU and compete with Cark. I certainly could understand that decision.. but if Devlin has the NFL ability that people suggest.. he probably should have transfered last year.. as he certainly would have a better shot at the NFL by playing at UD than he would sitting on the bench at PSU. Hopefully he will end up at UD as it would seem to be a great fit for both the player and the school.

As they say... better late than never...

LacesOut
December 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM
UD has to get this kid. Has to!

ChickenMan
December 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Pat Devlin may not be Joe Flacco.. but he sure as heck NOT Rob Schoenhoft.. ;)

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I feel so dirty.. I want Pat Devlin.. is there a problem with me?

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I feel so dirty.. I want Pat Devlin.. is there a problem with me?

C'mon. PD transferring to Delaware would validate your UD hate and make you whole again. It'll make us (UD fans) whole too. We don't want sympathy from you snobs on the Main Line.xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM
We want to still be snobby.. but doesn't Pat Devlin sound like a perfect Villanova name?

LacesOut
December 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
We want to still be snobby.. but doesn't Pat Devlin sound like a perfect Villanova name?

LOL

You should root for UD to get him, as maybe then UD will give 'Nova a game! And JMU, and Richmond and Maine and Bill and Mary......... Hell, maybe even win!

If UD gets him, and an OL man or two, and maybe a RB, and maybe a TE, then they are back in Chatty baby! WOooooooooo hooooooooooooooo

KC Keeler for President! Or Senate Minority Leader!

ChickenMan
December 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM

You guys have your QB (Whitney) for the next two years.. remember the grass isn't always greener... :p

813Jag
December 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
If y'all know of any defensive players that want to come south for the fall let me know. xlolx

Bettina90
December 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Today's Inquirer says he's considering UD and UR. UR seems odd though, unless he's envisioning not being released from Scholarship by PSU and has to sit a year. I think I have that right.

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Today's Inquirer says he's considering UD and UR. UR seems odd though, unless he's envisioning not being released from Scholarship by PSU and has to sit a year. I think I have that right.

The various news reports have stated that Devlin and his parents met with JoePa on Monday to discuss his future and the result of the meeting was that Devlin stated he would be transferring and JoePa stated he would release him from his scholly (unlike the Wannstedt/Flacco burned year).

Regarding schools, one source said it was Delaware, JMU, or Nova and the other said it was Delaware or Richmond. Only one school was listed in both reports.xthumbsupx FYI, I did not provide links but they have all been posted on GoHens if you want to read them. The sources, IIRC, are the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Penn State newspaper, and one in Allentown.

Eight Legger
December 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'd welcome Devlin to Richmond, as long as he doesn't mind playing wideout for Eric Ward's senior season. We already have our QB for next year.

ChickenMan
December 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Richmond and Villanova both have returning starting QBs.. since he's looking for access to immediate playing time.. logically there is no way Devlin goes to either UR or Nova. So it seems.. if he is headed to a CAA school.. it's going to be either JMU or Delaware.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Two words: Rhode Island. xlolx

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
With Coen graduating, UMass could use a QB.

Rob Iola
December 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Richmond and Villanova both have returning starting QBs.. since he's looking for access to immediate playing time.. logically there is no way Devlin goes to either UR or Nova. So it seems.. if he is headed to a CAA school.. it's going to be either JMU or Delaware.
hmm, the valley or the 95 corridor? Harrisonburg or Newark? Mickey or KC? The playoff credentials or the NFL draft credentials? Mend my heart or break my heart?

Wanna see Lou and Sean sportin' the Big Ben look (backwards baseball cap) while doing the play signal dance from the sidelines next year...

Rob Iola
December 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Two words: Rhode Island. xlolx
neither a road nor an island - discuss...

Dignan
December 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM

I agree with many who've already said that it will almost certainly be Delaware, although I guess I could see JMU having an outside chance. Not only does JMU already have two QB's that they feel confident in taking over for Landers, but I would guess that Mickey Matthews is so confident in his offensive system of having running QB's that he probably wouldn't change to a passing oriented offense even to get Devlin to transfer there. On the other hand, JMU does have a pretty good set of WR's (although I don't know how many are graduating this year).

What is Delaware's WR situation like?

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
If you're saying that you'd rather have Eric Ward than Pat Devlin.. You're crazy

LacesOut
December 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
With Coen graduating, UMass could use a QB.

Hmmmmmmm, interesting.

ChickenMan
December 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
If you're saying that you'd rather have Eric Ward than Pat Devlin.. You're crazy

Richmond seems to be doing pretty well with Eric Ward.. maybe well enough to win the National Championship... ;)

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
We also return a good amount on offense.

Every receiver returns including...
Victor Cruz - 1,064yds, 6 TDs
Jerermy Horne - 895yds, 8 TDs

As well as Tony Nelson (1356yds, 12 TDs). He'd at least have some help readily available on offense.

Just pointing it out:)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Interesting... that only CAA South teams are being mentioned as candidates, and only as an afterthought is UMass mentioned. (Or Rhode Island. Or Hofstra. All three need QBs.)

Sounds like the CAA split has already happened. xwhistlex

UNI Pike
December 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
What does Tubby think about the situation? Does he have "ties to Delaware" whatever that is supposed to mean?

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
What does Tubby think about the situation? Does he have "ties to Delaware" whatever that is supposed to mean?

He grew up in the Delaware Valley!xthumbsupx

blur2005
December 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Considering the offensive systems, I don't see Devlin as a JMU quarterback, though his talent would be great to have. Looks like another Delaware transfer quarterback. xrolleyesx

GannonFan
December 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
This kid is an abosulute must have for Delaware. He's a strong arm QB who's also pretty mobile, he's already proven he can play at the FBS level (he engineered that game winning drive against Ohio St in Columbus), he's a Dean's List student, and he's from the area.

And as for people doubting the impact of a QB, UD's defense should be a monster next year and they are stacked at WR. Sure the offensive line could be a little better but I remember Flacco winning 3 playoff games with a patchwork offensive line in front of him too. A great QB can do wonders to helping an offensive line, and frankly, so can an OL transfer (look at the impact Apted has had at JMU for instance). If UD pulls off the probable and gets Devlin, with what UD has returning they are a playoff team next year and, being from the CAA, that means they have a legit shot to win it all.

henfan
December 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Interesting... that only CAA South teams are being mentioned as candidates, and only as an afterthought is UMass mentioned. (Or Rhode Island. Or Hofstra. All three need QBs.)

Sounds like the CAA split has already happened. xwhistlex

That's really a stretch. What's one issue have to do with the other?xnutsx

Rob Iola
December 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
This kid is an abosulute must have for Delaware. He's a strong arm QB who's also pretty mobile, he's already proven he can play at the FBS level (he engineered that game winning drive against Ohio St in Columbus), he's a Dean's List student, and he's from the area.

And as for people doubting the impact of a QB, UD's defense should be a monster next year and they are stacked at WR. Sure the offensive line could be a little better but I remember Flacco winning 3 playoff games with a patchwork offensive line in front of him too. A great QB can do wonders to helping an offensive line, and frankly, so can an OL transfer (look at the impact Apted has had at JMU for instance). If UD pulls off the probable and gets Devlin, with what UD has returning they are a playoff team next year and, being from the CAA, that means they have a legit shot to win it all.
Since Flacco had basically a TE playing LT (Uhll), wouldn't it be fair to have a TE play LT for Devlin? Like maybe say Schoenhoft?

LacesOut
December 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM

As well as Tony Nelson (1356yds, 12 TDs). He'd at least have some help readily available on offense.

That appears to be light years ahead of anything UD has on offense.

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Mr. Devlin,

If you have discovered AGS recently, disregard the above post. Rest assured Delaware is stacked two-deep with All-Americans at every position, which would allow you to reach your full potential AND BE DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE NFL DRAFT, JUST LIKE 2007 DELAWARE GRAD AND CURRENT BALTIMORE RAVENS QB JOE FLACCO.

That's right. JOE FLACCO went to DELAWARE and was an NFL FIRST ROUND PICK. He MAKES A LOT OF MONEY and you could DO THE SAME AT DELAWARE.

Thanks,
93henfan

LehighFan11
December 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Actually, not much different. Bethlehem is only about an hour away up the NE Extension. Easton another 20 minutes to the East. However, Lehigh is pretty set at QB with Soph. Clark finishing very strong this year, and Freshman Lum receiving ooohs and aaahs from a lot of observers. Spring practice is going to be something to watch at South Mountain, keeping in mind Cisneros is not bad either.
Lafayette, OTOH, may be more in the market.
I highly doubt Devlin is even considering Lehigh, but you can't tell me we are set at QB. Clark maybe good and Lum has some hype but this is Pat Devlin. He starts first game even if he practices with the team for 3 weeks. He would easily be the best player ever to come to Lehigh. That being said, this looks like UD's transfer to lose.

Eight Legger
December 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Guess I'm crazy then. I wouldn't trade Ward for anyone, especially not in his senior season.

GannonFan

Well, UMass actually had a QB last year to help those guys put up those numbers. UD didn't have a QB to do that. Duncan's stats are a testament to that (and yes, Duncan is back):

With Flacco - 916 yards, 6 TD's
With Schoenhoft - 352 yards, 0 TD's

UD has plenty on offense to play with - WR position is stacked, TE's welcome back Baker, and there's 3 guys deep at RB. All that's needed is a QB to run the show.

93henfan
How funny would it be if the Devlin family didn't read everything right and accidentally signed Pat up at Delaware State?

LacesOut
December 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Mr. Devlin,

If you have discovered AGS recently, disregard the above post. Rest assured Delaware is stacked two-deep with All-Americans at every position, which would allow you to reach your full potential AND BE DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE NFL DRAFT, JUST LIKE 2007 DELAWARE GRAD AND CURRENT BALTIMORE RAVENS QB JOE FLACCO.

That's right. JOE FLACCO went to DELAWARE and was an NFL FIRST ROUND PICK. He MAKES A LOT OF MONEY and you could DO THE SAME AT DELAWARE.

Thanks,
93henfan

LMFAO!!!!!! Good one.

GF- I don't know man. Yes, UD has depth. But is there talent there at WR and RB? I guess with a decent to good QB they'll find out.

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
LMFAO!!!!!! Good one.

GF- I don't know man. Yes, UD has depth. But is there talent there at WR and RB? I guess with a decent to good QB they'll find out.

I guess the best retort to that is take a look at Love-Duncan-Michaud with Flacco in 2007 and with Schoenhoft in 2008. The QB made all the difference.

zymergy
December 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I guess the best retort to that is take a look at Love-Duncan-Michaud with Flacco in 2007 and with Schoenhoft in 2008. The QB made all the difference.

You took the words right out my mouth...how dare you!!!
xsmiley_wix

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Well, UMass actually had a QB last year to help those guys put up those numbers.

So Cruz and Horne aren't as good as the numbers show them to be? xeyebrowx

Franks Tanks
December 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I highly doubt Devlin is even considering Lehigh, but you can't tell me we are set at QB. Clark maybe good and Lum has some hype but this is Pat Devlin. He starts first game even if he practices with the team for 3 weeks. He would easily be the best player ever to come to Lehigh. That being said, this looks like UD's transfer to lose.

Kim McQuilken may like to argue with you on that one.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Oh please. Has everyone already forgotten Omar Cuff? I sure hope Cuff is on Flacco's Christmas-card list, since there's no way he's a first-round pick without him.

I-AA Fan
December 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Not starting material (at QB), probably not even at the I-AA/FCS level. Maybe as a 5th-year guy at Penn State, but then how many young QB's will arrive at College Station in the next year or 2? Then again I never thought much of Clark; figured he would be back in Youngstown in 1 or 2 years. Now he is expected to make All-American. I guess my judgment is poor.

Franks Tanks
December 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Not starting material (at QB), probably not even at the I-AA/FCS level. Maybe as a 5th-year guy at Penn State, but then how many young QB's will arrive at College Station in the next year or 2? Then again I never thought much of Clark; figured he would be back in Youngstown in 1 or 2 years. Now he is expected to make All-American. I guess my judgment is poor.

Devlin is soild QB and will play at virtually every FCS school. Not sure what QB's going to Texas A &M have to do with anything.

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I don't think you've done your research on Devlin's accomplishments at PSU or in high school or on JoePa's tendency to always go with the more-tenured QB.

Also, College Station is where Texas A&M plays. I'm guessing you meant State College. Maryland is College Park.

I-AA Fan
December 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Devlin is soild QB and will play at virtually every FCS school. Not sure what QB's going to Texas A &M have to do with anything.

Good point. Make that State College. See I told you my judgment is poor xreadx

By the way, I have heard from two people that UD is a done deal. One of those works for pennlive.com

Franks Tanks
December 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Good point. Make that State College. See I told you my judgment is poor xreadx

By the way, I have heard from two people that UD is a done deal. One of those works for pennlive.com

No problem just pokin a little fun-- appreciate the insight

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Devlin is a fool if he wants to transfer... PSU is a great place to play. If its because of playing time... again he's a fool... JoePa has shown his habit of playing a player who's a senior because he "should" be the best one.

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Devlin is a fool if he wants to transfer... PSU is a great place to play. If its because of playing time... again he's a fool... JoePa has shown his habit of playing a player who's a senior because he "should" be the best one.
I don't think it's fair to call him a fool. He wants to play now and that shouldn't be held against him.

GannonFan
December 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Really? I never heard anyone refer to Penn St as QB-U. And there's been a pretty long history of QB's who have had problems with Joe's son Jay, the QB coach.

ChickenMan
December 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM

hopefully he'll be just as foolish as Joe Flacco... ;)

SunCoastBlueHen
December 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
From a Penn State blogger...

Blame Joe Flacco, not Pat Devlin, for the news that Devlin will be transferring from Penn State...

Why would Devlin drop a level? One big reason is Joe Flacco, the Delaware (I-AA) alumnus who is starting and doing well as a rookie this year for the Baltimore Ravens. In other words, you can make it to the NFL from D-I-AA, so why not go that route? And Devlin will get two years as a starter.

I have no idea where Devlin might go -- my guess is Delaware. But he will be a good find for a I-AA school....

http://blogs.mcall.com/nittany_lines/2008/12/blame-joe-flacc.html

UNI Pike
December 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM

We would call that "the Delaware Creek" out in the west.

That said, I guess Tubby would be fine with it then, right?

93henfan
December 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM

How many times are old guys OK with anything really?

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Does KC expect Nihja White.. the big receiver from Conestoga to contribute?

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Yes, Tubby is also fine with Keeler's 2-0 record vs. UNI in the playoffs, not that it matters relative to this discussion.xrolleyesx

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM

So what we call a valley, westerners call a creek?xconfusedx

:p xlolx

Longhorn
December 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
On the other hand, JMU does have a pretty good set of WR's (although I don't know how many are graduating this year).

What is Delaware's WR situation like?

For JMU all the big targets are back; McCarter, Bosco and Turner at WR, Caussin at TE, and then there's a whole host of backs coming out of the backfield Yancey, Long, Sullivan.

For UD...who really knows? Love was wasted this year and now he's graduated...same for the big TE. The rest of the WRs may be excellent, but they sure didn't get a chance to show off or develop their talent this year.

UNI Pike
December 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
So what we call a valley, westerners call a creek?xconfusedx

:p xlolx

Delaware "River" Valley - it's really just an oversized creek

GannonFan
December 11th, 2008, 09:15 PM
For JMU all the big targets are back; McCarter, Bosco and Turner at WR, Caussin at TE, and then there's a whole host of backs coming out of the backfield Yancey, Long, Sullivan.

For UD...who really knows? Love was wasted this year and now he's graduated...same for the big TE. The rest of the WRs may be excellent, but they sure didn't get a chance to show off or develop their talent this year.

Well, UD welcomes Duncan back, who had 70 catches in 2007 and last year, despite no QB or offense, still managed 39 catches, which is almost double that of JMU's leading receiver this year. Jonhston and Crosby also come back, who would've been among the leaders in receptions on JMU's team (among the guys you mention), Mackey's coming back off a redshirt season (played the year before) and Baker comes back at TE (he had 20 catches in '07). And that's before you start talking about the youth coming up (White's a guy who backed off a verbal to Duke when they changed coaches). There's more than enough proven, and unproven, talent at UD for a QB to succeed.

And the reason those numbers for many of these guys exceed numbers for JMU guys is that, like Rascati before him, JMU doesn't pass the ball - this year the ratio was more than 3-1 in favor of rush, and when a better passer, Rascati, was there, it wasn't much different.

ngineer
December 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM

I was not saying he was or even that we were 'sniffable'...I was responding to the prior post about Delaware being so much 'closer' geographically than Lehigh. Time-wise, driving to UD from Downingtown is negligible when compared to drive time to Goodman. I'm 90% certain he's going to 'chicken out' and go to New Ark!

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM

I'm crazy also then.

What kind of message would it send to the team to open a Quarterback Competition between a 3-year starter (winningest quarterback in school history) ... and a transfer?

foghorn
December 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Personally saw Schoenhoft throw last March and knew immediately he'd flop, and many other observers did also.
Saw Devlin bring back PSU to a win this past year, and he's the real deal. UD, with a defense that could be the best in years, will definitely be contenders should Devlin transfer to UD.

GannonFan
December 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Seriously, this from a guy who lives near the Cedar River Valley? xlolx

LeopardFan04
December 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM

But it's a line of defense against Jersey! xlolx

Bettina90
December 11th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'm crazy also then.

What kind of message would it send to the team to open a Quarterback Competition between a 3-year starter (winningest quarterback in school history) ... and a transfer?

Agreed, Richmond is not a player in this I don't think. Devlin may be better than Ward but there is very little to go on to think that and Ward is built into the offense.

For those that only saw him last week, you really have little to go on except you should note that every "bad" pass he threw was thrown so that Appy State (I think I will call them that for the offseason) would have no shot at grabbing it, that DOES count for something.

Tribe4SF
December 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Saw Devlin bring back PSU to a win this past year, and he's the real deal. UD, with a defense that could be the best in years, will definitely be contenders should Devlin transfer to UD.

Are you talking about the Ohio State game? Devlin didn't throw a single pass in that game. The drive for the go ahead TD, and for the field goal were all Evan Royster. Devlin ran two QB sneaks, and a QB draw for no gain. 3 carries for 3 yards.

UNI Pike
December 11th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Seriously, this from a guy who lives near the Cedar River Valley? xlolx

<----- Notice the location. I actually live in a county that has 4 more Congressmen than the "state" of Delaware. Yes, a total of 5 f***ups in the US House.

foghorn
December 12th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Are you talking about the Ohio State game? Devlin didn't throw a single pass in that game. The drive for the go ahead TD, and for the field goal were all Evan Royster. Devlin ran two QB sneaks, and a QB draw for no gain. 3 carries for 3 yards.

I believe Devlin scored the winning TD in that game on a sneak.
PSU highlights are shown on TV in my area every Sunday. I know Devlin threw for 4 TD's and had 0 int's, 53% completion for the year.

Dignan
December 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Well, UD welcomes Duncan back, who had 70 catches in 2007 and last year, despite no QB or offense, still managed 39 catches, which is almost double that of JMU's leading receiver this year. Jonhston and Crosby also come back, who would've been among the leaders in receptions on JMU's team (among the guys you mention), Mackey's coming back off a redshirt season (played the year before) and Baker comes back at TE (he had 20 catches in '07). And that's before you start talking about the youth coming up (White's a guy who backed off a verbal to Duke when they changed coaches). There's more than enough proven, and unproven, talent at UD for a QB to succeed.

And the reason those numbers for many of these guys exceed numbers for JMU guys is that, like Rascati before him, JMU doesn't pass the ball - this year the ratio was more than 3-1 in favor of rush, and when a better passer, Rascati, was there, it wasn't much different.

That's the big reason I think he'll end up at Delaware as opposed to JMU. I think that JMU has a great set of WR and TE, but their offensive system works too well as currently constructed to make a wholesale switch to a passing-oriented offense. Just look at what happened to the Steelers a few years ago when they deluded themselves into switching to a passing-oriented offense with Tommy Maddox... they ended up regretting it (although Maddox wasn't exactly the second coming).

So for Devlin, if he wants to showcase his skills Delaware is the better system.

Oldhen
December 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Notice the location. I actually live in a county that has 4 more Congressmen than the "state" of Delaware.

You make it sound as though living in a place that crowded is a good thing. Go figure. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of places in California I just adore, several places on my short list for retirement locales.... There are other places we should just give back to Mexico, or worse.

But back to the topic at hand... Just in the entirely FWIW vein... back at the start of the season, a sometimes-poster on the Gohens board assured everyone that Devlin was leaving PSU and coming to UD, pretty much as though it was a done deal at the end of the season.... this was months before any hints had surfaced anywhere that he would leave PSU. This kind of left me scratching my head, because it sure sounded like insider info.

I think academics will play a role in it, too. Kid's no mean student, in a finance major. If her were CHEG or MEEG, I'd say UD was a slam dunk. Lerner's not a bad business school, but it ain't all that and a bag of chips, and might not give UD any advantage over VU or UR.

Bottom line is, UD's been able to run a very pass-oriented offense pretty well when the've got a QB with a live arm... like last year with Flacco. KC always has a large stable of receivers because of that. I personally think they need a separate coordinator for the passing game, and that's just a reflection of the emphasis placed on passing in the offense. VU, UR, and JMU are historically run-first teams, and all three of them have incumbent QB's who are very experienced in the systems or quality backups prepped to step in.

If Devlin really wants to give himself a shot at the next level after college, he wants to go to a place that showcases his throwing, like Dignan says. VU UR and JMU might actually give him a better chance at a NC, but I'm not sure that's what he has in mind.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I believe Devlin scored the winning TD in that game on a sneak.
PSU highlights are shown on TV in my area every Sunday. I know Devlin threw for 4 TD's and had 0 int's, 53% completion for the year.

He's certainly a good prospect to salvage the UD offense, but his time at PSU hasn't established what kind of player he'll be if he comes to Delaware. His only non-mop-up time was against OSU, and even Schoenhoft could have done what he did in that game.

If he does come, I'd expect he'll play well. The cupboard will still be bare, though, and HS QBs will still see a program that has started a transfer for eight consecutive years. Keeler's task of finding and developing good HS QBs won't have gotten any easier.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM
From Devlin's hometown paper...

Sources: Devlin bound for Delaware

...According to multiple sources, the former Downingtown East standout and erstwhile Penn State backup quarterback has verbally committed to the University of Delaware.

Penn State’s office of sports information released a statement Wednesday night confirming that Devlin had announced his intention to transfer to another school. Speculation as to where he would land immediately zeroed in on two local schools — Delaware and Villanova. Thursday night, the Daily Local News learned that the state’s all-time high school passing yardage leader will take his talents to Delaware...

http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2008/12/12/sports/doc4941d9ead8992640275514.txt

I like the first reader comment after the article. :D

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2008, 08:26 AM

http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2008/12/12/sports/doc4941d9ead8992640275514.txt

That first poster is an idiot. Clark is better---too bad. Pat will do fine at Delware and it will be interesting to see if he devlops into a pro-QB

SunCoastBlueHen
December 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
That first poster is an idiot. Clark is better---too bad. Pat will do fine at Delware and it will be interesting to see if he devlops into a pro-QB

I didn't say he was right, I just said I liked it. :p

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I didn't say he was right, I just said I liked it. :p

xlolx like they say, the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team

93henfan
December 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
<----- Notice the location. I actually live in a county that has 4 more Congressmen than the "state" of Delaware. Yes, a total of 5 f***ups in the US House.

Which means I have far more representation in Congress than you. We have three guys fighting for less than a million people's interest. You have one Rep fighting for a district that probably has more people than DE and two Sens trying to go with the populist opinions of 40 million people and have probably never been to your town (unless you live in downtown LA, SF, SD, or Sacramento). We don't have that problem here. Many people get personal responses when they contact their Senator in this state.

GannonFan
December 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM
You make it sound as though living in a place that crowded is a good thing. Go figure. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of places in California I just adore, several places on my short list for retirement locales.... There are other places we should just give back to Mexico, or worse.

But back to the topic at hand... Just in the entirely FWIW vein... back at the start of the season, a sometimes-poster on the Gohens board assured everyone that Devlin was leaving PSU and coming to UD, pretty much as though it was a done deal at the end of the season.... this was months before any hints had surfaced anywhere that he would leave PSU. This kind of left me scratching my head, because it sure sounded like insider info.

I think academics will play a role in it, too. Kid's no mean student, in a finance major. If her were CHEG or MEEG, I'd say UD was a slam dunk. Lerner's not a bad business school, but it ain't all that and a bag of chips, and might not give UD any advantage over VU or UR.

Bottom line is, UD's been able to run a very pass-oriented offense pretty well when the've got a QB with a live arm... like last year with Flacco. KC always has a large stable of receivers because of that. I personally think they need a separate coordinator for the passing game, and that's just a reflection of the emphasis placed on passing in the offense. VU, UR, and JMU are historically run-first teams, and all three of them have incumbent QB's who are very experienced in the systems or quality backups prepped to step in.

If Devlin really wants to give himself a shot at the next level after college, he wants to go to a place that showcases his throwing, like Dignan says. VU UR and JMU might actually give him a better chance at a NC, but I'm not sure that's what he has in mind.

Actually, before the current incarnation of nova, they were a passing-oriented team, with guys like Boden and Gordon pulling the stings. Even when they had Westbrook, he was used much like he's used now by the Eagles, doing a lot of damage coming out of the backfield on screens and swing passes. It was only with their current stable of QB's that they've leaned more towards running the ball.

As for your last statement, that vU, UR, or JMU would give him a better chance at a national title, how do you figure? vU and UR have never won a national title (and that will still be the case for vU after this year - UR might be different) and even with Keeler's roller coaster of a program, he's won more playoff games this decade than any of the programs you mention. In the current state of FCS football, if you're a CAA team and you can make the playoffs, a NC isn't unrealistic. With UD's defense next year and the talent at WR coming back, UD could very well, and should, be a playoff team next year.

ChickenMan
December 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
xlolx like they say, the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team

Apparently the staff at Pitt thought Tyler Palko was better than Joe Flacco.. but you never know the reality until the player gets a chance to compete on the playing field...

Oldhen
December 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Actually, before the current incarnation of nova, they were a passing-oriented team, with guys like Boden and Gordon pulling the stings. Even when they had Westbrook, he was used much like he's used now by the Eagles, doing a lot of damage coming out of the backfield on screens and swing passes. It was only with their current stable of QB's that they've leaned more towards running the ball.

As for your last statement, that vU, UR, or JMU would give him a better chance at a national title, how do you figure? vU and UR have never won a national title (and that will still be the case for vU after this year - UR might be different) and even with Keeler's roller coaster of a program, he's won more playoff games this decade than any of the programs you mention. In the current state of FCS football, if you're a CAA team and you can make the playoffs, a NC isn't unrealistic. With UD's defense next year and the talent at WR coming back, UD could very well, and should, be a playoff team next year.

'Nova has been more run-oriented since Gordon left ('02?) though I remember the fits he gave us, too. They've tended to have more balance than JMU or UR, but have been less pass-heavy than UD.

Frankly, I think UR, JMU, and VU are more talented top-to-bottom than we are, both sides of the ball. We might be able to hide that behind an NFL-caliber arm, like we did with Joe Cool, we might not. We've got OL and RB issues that would have to be sucessfully addressed before we'd make much noise in the playoffs.

I don't know if JMU, UR, or VU is going to drop off much, if at all, for next year. The way VU's been recruiting, they might even get better.

Take it FWIW. You want to disagree, fine with me.

foghorn
December 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
He's certainly a good prospect to salvage the UD offense, but his time at PSU hasn't established what kind of player he'll be if he comes to Delaware. His only non-mop-up time was against OSU, and even Schoenhoft could have done what he did in that game.

If he does come, I'd expect he'll play well. The cupboard will still be bare, though, and HS QBs will still see a program that has started a transfer for eight consecutive years. Keeler's task of finding and developing good HS QBs won't have gotten any easier.

Tribe4SF, no need to constantly re-iterate your position on transfers. I /we understand your point, BUT I find those championship games extremely exciting and worth my loyal following. Hope you someday find the same enjoyment by following the Tribe.
And oh yeah, Sundays are much more enjoyable having a fellow Hen to root for, especially when he's the QB of a playoff contender. Wacko for Flacco!xsmiley_wix

Blue Hen 53
December 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS...Devlin is a Blue Hen!

GannonFan
December 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
'Nova has been more run-oriented since Gordon left ('02?) though I remember the fits he gave us, too. They've tended to have more balance than JMU or UR, but have been less pass-heavy than UD.

Frankly, I think UR, JMU, and VU are more talented top-to-bottom than we are, both sides of the ball. We might be able to hide that behind an NFL-caliber arm, like we did with Joe Cool, we might not. We've got OL and RB issues that would have to be sucessfully addressed before we'd make much noise in the playoffs.

I don't know if JMU, UR, or VU is going to drop off much, if at all, for next year. The way VU's been recruiting, they might even get better.

Take it FWIW. You want to disagree, fine with me.

Well, I will disagree (not that there's anything wrong with that). First of all, why do you think we're all that pass oriented? In '07 and '08 we ran more than we threw, and that was even with Flacco. KC has his faults, but he's always been up front that he wants balance and wants it to tip slightly towards running the ball, which they have done.

As for overall talent, there's no doubt that nova will be and should be the prohibitive favorite coming out of the CAA next year, but the picture gets cloudier with the other two teams. Richmond loses both stud defensive ends and they lose Vaughn at RB, among others, and JMU loses a host of players, including Landers. UD will be better defensively next year than they were this year (and they were probably already a better defense that JMU and weren't far behind UR or nova on that side of the ball), and as for the OL, it's not like Flacco was playing behind a strong OL either. A good QB can certainly help take some of the heat off the offensive line - heck, we didn't have OL issues this year until the vacuum at QB became apparent.

89Hen
December 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
And oh yeah, Sundays are much more enjoyable having a fellow Hen to root for, especially when he's the QB of a playoff contender. Wacko for Flacco!xsmiley_wix
Got the sign hanging in my office. xnodx :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2882875412_d53ca48a40.jpg?v=0

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS...Devlin is a Blue Hen!

Surprise, surprise.........

No but seriously congrats to the Blue Hens. Maybe now your QB woes will be solved......hopefully (as in no more flops). However, I am interested to see how this impacts your chances of picking up kids out of HS to mold when recruiting against schools like JMU, VU, and RU.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Well, I will disagree (not that there's anything wrong with that). First of all, why do you think we're all that pass oriented? In '07 and '08 we ran more than we threw, and that was even with Flacco. KC has his faults, but he's always been up front that he wants balance and wants it to tip slightly towards running the ball, which they have done.

As for overall talent, there's no doubt that nova will be and should be the prohibitive favorite coming out of the CAA next year, but the picture gets cloudier with the other two teams. Richmond loses both stud defensive ends and they lose Vaughn at RB, among others, and JMU loses a host of players, including Landers. UD will be better defensively next year than they were this year (and they were probably already a better defense that JMU and weren't far behind UR or nova on that side of the ball), and as for the OL, it's not like Flacco was playing behind a strong OL either. A good QB can certainly help take some of the heat off the offensive line - heck, we didn't have OL issues this year until the vacuum at QB became apparent.

I still think you guys struggle next year offensively even with Devlin at QB. However, I reserve the right to insert foot in mouth if you guys blow it up offensively next year.

89Hen
December 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Was nice of the article to put the Hens at 4-7 and not mention that the 8 losses were the most EVER by a Blue Hen team. Intersting that both UD and Michigan lost 8 this year for the first time ever. xeyebrowx

GannonFan
December 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I still think you guys struggle next year offensively even with Devlin at QB. However, I reserve the right to insert foot in mouth if you guys blow it up offensively next year.

With an actual QB on this team this year we probably win the Furman game, the Maine game, and the UMass game. That would've had us at 7-5 and on the outside of the playoffs looking in. The cupboard isn't anywhere near as bare as some like to make it out to be, we were just missing a very critical centerpiece, that being a functional QB. Just an average offense with the defense we have coming back will be enough to get into the playoffs.

89Hen
December 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
The cupboard isn't anywhere near as bare as some like to make it out to be
Read 'some' as all the fine people at gohens.net. I would LOVE to see the Hens do well next year so I can throw it in the face of all the crumudgeons there. xrulesx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
With an actual QB on this team this year we probably win the Furman game, the Maine game, and the UMass game. That would've had us at 7-5 and on the outside of the playoffs looking in. The cupboard isn't anywhere near as bare as some like to make it out to be, we were just missing a very critical centerpiece, that being a functional QB. Just an average offense with the defense we have coming back will be enough to get into the playoffs.

I agree with that statement. My point was I still see the Del O not being as productive as some of you Hens are used to in the past. I believe it starts in the trenches and against teams like VU, JMU, and RU it seemed as the Hens really struggled there (along with the running game).

GannonFan
December 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
xpeacex
Read 'some' as all the fine people at gohens.net. I would LOVE to see the Hens do well next year so I can throw it in the face of all the crumudgeons there. xrulesx

Eh, fanbases are always fickle. There are some people that want no criticism of their favorite program at all, and there are some people that all they do is criticize. And then there's the vast majority of us in the middle that see good and bad but still want the program to succeed. But yes, I think there are a few people on that board today that are gnashing their teeth that UD probably has a QB and we aren't destined for the 3-4 losing years they were almost hoping we would have while the program is rebuilt the way they want. Oh well, bummer for them.

Blue Hen 53
December 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Sources: Devlin bound for Delaware

LacesOut
December 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Due to UD's horrific QB's currently on the roster.........................Devlin better frickin' stay healthy!

And can he pick up the highly complicated offense that KC runs???

HenZoneNation
December 12th, 2008, 12:15 PM
89Hen,

When you say interesting that both Michigan and UD both lost 8 games the same year do you mean interesting as in:

the exploration of new galaxies and solar systems are interesting?

or

the way watching a massaive car accident on the side of the road as you rubber-neck by is interesting?

For me watching both those teams last year was just painful and a big waste of time.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Tribe4SF, no need to constantly re-iterate your position on transfers.

I haven't stated that opinion in quite awhile, as Blue Hen fans have been doing so themselves. When I first raised the issue about five years ago on the UD CAAZone board, I was derided for it by just about everyone. The general response was..."UD can get a top HS QB anytime they want!".

HenZoneNation
December 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Tribe4SF,

In that time how many NC titles games have we played in vs. how many NC games you've played in? I get what you're saying about High School recruits but what has it brought you? I don't think it's UD that has the problem bringing recruits. I think with our fan base, our current stadium, and the new layout for what is to come, I think we could get a ton of good qb's. The problem is our coach and OC can't seem to find, evaluate, or nurture these players once they are in our system. That is our problem and one you have accurately argued...without a NC to your name.

Hopefully that trend will end but it doesn't change the fact that Devlin is better than any recruit you're bringing in.

93henfan
December 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Two new Hens posters in the thread! Does Devlin have groupies? xsmiley_wix

Welcome aboard fellow Hens fans!xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Tribe4SF,

In that time how many NC titles games have we played in vs. how many NC games you've played in? I get what you're saying about High School recruits but what has it brought you? I don't think it's UD that has the problem bringing recruits. I think with our fan base, our current stadium, and the new layout for what is to come, I think we could get a ton of good qb's. The problem is our coach and OC can't seem to find, evaluate, or nurture these players once they are in our system. That is our problem and one you have accurately argued...without a NC to your name.

Hopefully that trend will end but it doesn't change the fact that Devlin is better than any recruit you're bringing in.

Not sure what the Tribe's lack of a national championship has to do with the discussion here, other than ego promotion. Devlin may, in fact, turn out to be a great player for Delaware. My point here has simply been that there is not yet evidence of how good he will be. The Delaware fan base has been no more accurate recently in evaluating potential QBs than has the coaching staff. Last winter it was Schoenhoft who was the second coming, and by October it was Hakes. The only thing we know for sure at this point is that Devlin couldn't win the job at PSU. I doubt the UD staff has done any more due diligence on Devlin than they did on Schoenhoft. What they are getting is a second string FBS QB who will arrive expecting to be #1, and will have about 35 practices to get ready to take the reins of the Delaware offense. My guess is he will be a big improvement over this years QB play, but I think everyone else in the conference will decide to still show up for their games against Delaware.

Blue Hen 53
December 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Thx 93henfan. What's with the UR helmet??

89Hen
December 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
or

the way watching a massaive car accident on the side of the road as you rubber-neck by is interesting?
That one. xoopsx

93henfan
December 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Last winter it was Schoenhoft who was the second coming, and by October it was Hakes.

Nice exaggeration. I was excited about Schoenhoft, as were others, mainly because of his size and the fact he was recruited by a school the caliber of Ohio State. Fact of the matter turned out to be he just wasn't very good. I definitely pin that miscalculation on Keeler and crew.

People were calling for Hakes because anybody appeared better than Schoenhoft and Ritacco at that point. Heck, some of us were pretty excited to see our starting TE and WR team up as a QB combo to beat Hofstra. Even a William and Mary QB would have excited us.

Longhorn
December 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, UD welcomes Duncan back, who had 70 catches in 2007 ... and Baker comes back at TE (he had 20 catches in '07). And that's before you start talking about the youth coming up (White's a guy who backed off a verbal to Duke when they changed coaches). There's more than enough proven, and unproven, talent at UD for a QB to succeed.

2007....yeah, that seems like a long time ago for UD fans doesn't it? xlolx Tell me, how many TD's passing did UD's QBs throw for this year? How many of those were caught by a WR or TE? Yeah...well, we both know the answer to that question. The answer for JMU is 22 receiving TDs (so far) in 2008, and all that production returns in '09.

Whether the "proven and unproven" receiving talent at UD is truly present and simply a transfer QB away from shining is a matter open to debate. I'll believe it when I see it. And wherever Devlin lands up he'll have to prove it on the field too. Personally I'd like to see UD land Devlin because it might actually make the blue chicks competitive again. We should know soon enough where he lands up. xpeacex

93henfan
December 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thx 93henfan. What's with the UR helmet??

CAA solidarity.

Oh, and I can't stand JMU.

Oldhen
December 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well, I will disagree (not that there's anything wrong with that). First of all, why do you think we're all that pass oriented? In '07 and '08 we ran more than we threw, and that was even with Flacco.

My point was that UD was more pass-oriented than VU, UR, or JMU. In '07 (when UD's balance was more representative of Little KC's scheme than this year's fiasco) UD threw 46% of the time. OTOH, UR threw 38%, JMU 26%, and VU 34%. Maybe not saying 'relative run/pass balance' among the programs was a mistake. UD is much more pass-heavy than the others.

LehighFan11
December 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Delaware in the playoffs next year?

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM

One things for sure, if they get there through the CAA South, they will have earned it.

henfan
December 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM

You didn't mention the 14-7 loss to UMd that wouldn't have happened had the Hens had a quality QB. In fact, a QB with better than average talent would have transformed the offense, if not the season.

(That's not to lay the failures entirely on the shoulders of the QB. Other issues developed as a result of the QB problems.)

HenZoneNation
December 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
As bad as the QB play was...a lot of our problems came from injuries. I have never seen a team lose so many people in so many key roles. If that doesn't change then we again won't make the playoffs.

I will agree Tribe that KC didn't do his homework with Robbie S. There were rumblings about him in April at the spring practices not living up to the hype. That is why Hakes was brought in, again, KC's homework was eaten by the dog. Devlin seems to be regarded by all parties as "the real deal". People on the PSU boards seem pissed that he's gone. I think this is a no-brainer.

Our O-LINE though is the real issue. Our Tackles were bad, really bad. We get that under control and fewer injuries...look out. Our D is awesome and we could make a run again. If they stink...well I don't want to think about that.

LehighFan11
December 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Does Devlin have the chance to be better than Flacco? Ignoring the supporting cast of course, like LFN pointed out Cuff had alot to do with Flacco's success.

Devlin was 6'3" 200 out of high school, 4 star recruit, 5th best QB in class

Flacco was 6'5" 200 out of high school, 3 star recruit, 39th best QB in class

Devlin was obviously the more sought after QB coming out of high school (hence why he went to PSU). Both had limited if any time while at their FBS schools.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
As bad as the QB play was...a lot of our problems came from injuries. I have never seen a team lose so many people in so many key roles. If that doesn't change then we again won't make the playoffs.

I will agree Tribe that KC didn't do his homework with Robbie S. There were rumblings about him in April at the spring practices not living up to the hype. That is why Hakes was brought in, again, KC's homework was eaten by the dog. Devlin seems to be regarded by all parties as "the real deal". People on the PSU boards seem pissed that he's gone. I think this is a no-brainer.

Our O-LINE though is the real issue. Our Tackles were bad, really bad. We get that under control and fewer injuries...look out. Our D is awesome and we could make a run again. If they stink...well I don't want to think about that.

Based on high school video, Devlin was a pretty sound QB mechanically. Ran some read option, so his background in an offense similar to UD's seems to be there. The fact that he got a chance to compete for the job at PSU is also a plus.

I agree about the o-line being a central issue. In addition to questionable play at the tackles, Hendricks and Hermann must now be replaced. The lack of options was highlighted by the fact that McDowell was starting as a true freshman. Anyone expected back from injury along the o-line?

SunCoastBlueHen
December 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Does Devlin have the chance to be better than Flacco? Ignoring the supporting cast of course, like LFN pointed out Cuff had alot to do with Flacco's success.

Devlin was 6'3" 200 out of high school, 4 star recruit, 5th best QB in class

Flacco was 6'5" 200 out of high school, 3 star recruit, 39th best QB in class

Devlin was obviously the more sought after QB coming out of high school (hence why he went to PSU). Both had limited if any time while at their FBS schools.

I don't feel a need to speculate whether or not Devlin could be better than Flacco. That, afterall, would be an awful lot to expect from the kid.

I think I speak for most UD fans when I say that we are simply looking for signifcantly better play from the QB position than we had this past season. xpeacex

blukeys
December 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
What they are getting is a second string FBS QB who will arrive expecting to be #1, and will have about 35 practices to get ready to take the reins of the Delaware offense. ........

Sort of what Delaware got with Joe Flacco.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Sort of what Delaware got with Joe Flacco.

Sort of, but Joe had alot more time to get ready having to sit out a year. His transition was helped immensely by the fact that Delaware had a very good offensive line, and a terrific running game.

blukeys
December 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Sort of, but Joe had alot more time to get ready having to sit out a year. His transition was helped immensely by the fact that Delaware had a very good offensive line, and a terrific running game.

Yes the O line will have to improve which if it does IMHO that will solve some of the running game problems.

However, Flacco had to deal with very young receivers who had never caught a ball thrown with the velocity that Flacco had. From the first scrimmage in Southern DE throughout the first year Joe was plagued by dropped passes that hit the receivers in the hands.

Joe also had to deal with a totally deficient defense in his first year which Devlin will not have to deal with.

The defensive difference will be significant. Devlin need only to make the makeable plays and I think there will be a huge improvement.

Bettina90
December 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Delaware: Where our Recruiting Season begins when your spring game ends.

bluehenbillk
December 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
It's amusing to see the length this thread has skyrocketed to on semi-final weekend. You see the excitement of UD fans and the paranoia/envy/fear of some other school's fans. Honestly if I was a JMU or Richmond guy right now I wouldn't care less about this, it says a lot when they pay that much attention to a team in their league that was 4-8 this year.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
It's amusing to see the length this thread has skyrocketed to on semi-final weekend. You see the excitement of UD fans and the paranoia/envy/fear of some other school's fans. Honestly if I was a JMU or Richmond guy right now I wouldn't care less about this, it says a lot when they pay that much attention to a team in their league that was 4-8 this year.

Good point!

"Highly Touted FBS QB to Transfer to W&M" wouldn't be more than a one page thread. xcoolx

Blue Hen 53
December 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Take it to the bank...the Blue Hens will be back in '09! Great defense and a capable QB. My prediction 9-2 regular season.

In addition, major facility improvements on the way to attract more top notch recruits!

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/mens_indoor_track/news09-strategicplan.html

93henfan
December 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM

We'll see how it all works out. Luckily, we have Richmond, Madison, and Furman in the Tub next year instead of on the road. This year's schedule was already a nightmare and then throw in the lack of a QB and we dropped to 4 wins.

Delaware will be back. The program is too good not to.

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Does Devlin have the chance to be better than Flacco?

not a chance

93henfan
December 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Does Devlin have the chance to be better than Flacco?

not a chance

Well, depends on what your criteria is for "better than Flacco". If it's "win a national championship" then there is a chance if everything breaks the Hens' way. If it's "get drafted in the first round of the NFL draft and win NFL offensive rookie of the month for November in your first year in the league", not a snowball's chance in hell.

In summary, no chance to be more NFL-appealing than Flacco. Possible chance of accomplishing more at UD, though that is a very tall order, considering all the team's/staff's question marks after the 2008 debacle.

Hoyadestroya85
December 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Congratulations Hens.. now i can hate you guys again

HenZoneNation
December 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
It's easy now to say that Devlin won't be as good as Joe...of course three years ago if Joe would be as good as Andy Hall most UD posters would have said...wait for it...not a snowball's chance in hell.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I hear it ain't as warm in Hell as it used to be. xcoolx

Bettina90
December 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM

I hope this was not in response to my post, which was in jest. I could care less about Delaware's yearly transfers. They are a good team that may be back next year but I would honestly never want to be sitting on pins and needles each year hoping for a D-1 washout to come down and help us out.

GannonFan
December 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I hope this was not in response to my post, which was in jest. I could care less about Delaware's yearly transfers. They are a good team that may be back next year but I would honestly never want to be sitting on pins and needles each year hoping for a D-1 washout to come down and help us out.

Eh, it ain't so bad. Heck, if Devlin works out for us that'll be 8 out of 9 years with good to great QB play from those transfers. No one would be worried about the QB if we didn't have that Schoenhoft disaster. Just a bump in the road. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Good point!

"Highly Touted FBS QB to Transfer to W&M" wouldn't be more than a one page thread. xcoolx

xlolx Yeah, because everyone would know he probably wouldn't play.xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
December 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM

If you saw UD last year.. you certainly understand that they HAD to get a QB somewhere. There was absolutely no way they could go into '09 with the same QB crew that ruined this year. If it wasn't Devlin.. it was going to have to be someone else. If it's true that Delvin is transferring in.. UD got a lucky break.. as there is no doubt the he would be a HUGE upgrade over their current QBs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Sam McGuffie from Michigan is also transferring. He seemed to be one of the bright spots on the team that was terrible this year.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Sam McGuffie from Michigan is also transferring. He seemed to be one of the bright spots on the team that was terrible this year.

Have to assume he'll head back to Texas.

GannonFan
December 12th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Have to assume he'll head back to Texas.

Agreed - he played as a true freshman this year so he could transfer to an FBS school, sit out a year as a transfer redshirt, and come back in 2010 with 3 years to play. Wasn't UT strongly after him in high school?

GannonFan
December 13th, 2008, 12:00 AM

That's not true - Laycock showed he wants the best player on the field when he recruited and played Phillips even though he had Potts in the fold ahead of him. Don't sell Laycock short, he'll play the best player, even if it was Devlin!! :p

Tribe4SF
December 13th, 2008, 12:58 AM
That's not true - Laycock showed he wants the best player on the field when he recruited and played Phillips even though he had Potts in the fold ahead of him. Don't sell Laycock short, he'll play the best player, even if it was Devlin!! :p

Easy, GF....see the big winky face?

UD77
December 13th, 2008, 05:42 AM

He stopped in the state once for tax free shopping - does that count?

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I guess Joe Flacco is a fool ...fool

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM

if Delvin was watchin last night, JMU is off the list after all those drops

Tubby Raymond
December 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Based on high school video, Devlin was a pretty sound QB mechanically. Ran some read option, so his background in an offense similar to UD's seems to be there. The fact that he got a chance to compete for the job at PSU is also a plus.

I agree about the o-line being a central issue. In addition to questionable play at the tackles, Hendricks and Hermann must now be replaced. The lack of options was highlighted by the fact that McDowell was starting as a true freshman. Anyone expected back from injury along the o-line?

Again, O-Line was THE central issue

Tubby Raymond
December 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
That makes the most sense.

What an embarrassment to the CAA. JMU performance at home, pitiful showing.

93henfan
December 13th, 2008, 07:40 AM
And before anyone scratches their head about why Tubby just posted that: Longhorn, immediately after Delaware lost to App State a year ago, posted that Delaware was totally exposed and was a complete embarrassment to the CAA. Some Delaware folks on GoHens still have it as their signature.

That, and the typical JMU attitude in general, is why we (Delaware fans) love to see JMU lose. xlolx xthumbsupx

Tubby Raymond
December 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
And before anyone scratches their head about why Tubby just posted that: Longhorn, immediately after Delaware lost to App State a year ago, posted that Delaware was totally exposed and was a complete embarrassment to the CAA. Some Delaware folks on GoHens still have it as their signature.

That, and the typical JMU attitude in general, is why we (Delaware fans) love to see JMU lose. xlolx xthumbsupx

Thanks, I knew that most of the UD fans would get the referance but not the rest

proasu89
December 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Yes the O line will have to improve which if it does IMHO that will solve some of the running game problems.

However, Flacco had to deal with very young receivers who had never caught a ball thrown with the velocity that Flacco had. From the first scrimmage in Southern DE throughout the first year Joe was plagued by dropped passes that hit the receivers in the hands.
Joe also had to deal with a totally deficient defense in his first year which Devlin will not have to deal with.

The defensive difference will be significant. Devlin need only to make the makeable plays and I think there will be a huge improvement.

He was better than his receivers last year. I sat beside UD Fans at Chatty and commented how he threw too hard for his receivers on several routes. The UD guy responded by saying "you can't throw it too hard." I know that technically he was right, but it just confirmed my belief that he was playing at a level way above most of his receivers. If Devlin is 85% as good as Flacco then UD is back in the game.

The Dark Knight
December 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
University of Maine.... wait and see

Tubby Raymond
December 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Why would he want to go to God forsaken ORNO xnonox

The Dark Knight
December 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Why would he want to go to God forsaken ORNO xnonox

There is a connection supposedly, Maines QB Farkes transferred, and Maine beat Delawere...

GannonFan
December 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Easy, GF....see the big winky face?

I see, I see. :p

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
He was better than his receivers last year. I sat beside UD Fans at Chatty and commented how he threw too hard for his receivers on several routes. The UD guy responded by saying "you can't throw it too hard." I know that technically he was right, but it just confirmed my belief that he was playing at a level way above most of his receivers. If Devlin is 85% as good as Flacco then UD is back in the game.

Agreed.

bluehenbillk
December 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM

As of this morning Longhorn still hadn't resurfaced after the semi-final xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

PapaBear
December 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM

I have heard this rumor, as well.

It's true Farkes left the program. But many Black Bear fans question whether he'd have had an inside track to start, after the year Brusko gave them.

Anyone know Devlin's eligibility? Did he redshirt at PSU? If not, wow ... he'd have a year to learn the system at Maine and then two years of eligibility as a very mature player (not that he isn't mature already, but no QB would be hurt ny an extra year).

bluehenbillk
December 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM

It's true Farkes left the program. But many Black Bear fans question whether he'd have had an inside track to start, after the year Brusko gave them.

Anyone know Devlin's eligibility? Did he redshirt at PSU? If not, wow ... he'd have a year to learn the system at Maine and then two years of eligibility as a very mature player (not that he isn't mature already, but no QB would be hurt ny an extra year).

Dude, in all seriousness do you think Devlin is interested in transferring from PSU to sit at a FCS school next year?? Let me sum it up for ya, NO.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Dude, in all seriousness do you think Devlin is interested in transferring from PSU to sit at a FCS school next year?? Let me sum it up for ya, NO.

Yeah, considering that if he stayed he would be the starting QB at PSU in 2010 there's no way he'd drop a level to again wait until 2010 to be a QB. The guy's playing for someone in 2009, there's no doubt about that. Just a question if it's at Delaware or somewhere else.

PapaBear
December 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Thank you for stating the obvious, but you answered the wrong question (yours, instead of mine).

The fact is, if Devlin hasn't burned his redshirt, it would make perfect sense for him to burn it at an FCS. He is a VERY talented player with NFL potential. Another year of maturity would only help him.

The same could be said for your guy. I don't know whether he burned his redshirt before leaving OSU. But if he didn't, and if Keeler & Co still see potential in him, what's the harm in sitting out a year and working the system?

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you for stating the obvious, but you answered the wrong question (yours, instead of mine).

The fact is, if Devlin hasn't burned his redshirt, it would make perfect sense for him to burn it at an FCS. He is a VERY talented player with NFL potential. Another year of maturity would only help him.

The same could be said for your guy. I don't know whether he burned his redshirt before leaving OSU. But if he didn't, and if Keeler & Co still see potential in him, what's the harm in sitting out a year and working the system?

The point is moot, though, as Devlin has already taken a non-medical redshirt year, hence his need to transfer to an FCS school in order to play in 2009.

ChickenMan
December 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Devlin has already used his red-shirt.. he has two years of eligibility left if he transfers to a FCS school.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
With Devlin's departure from PSU and JoePa's contract extension, Penn St reels in dual threat Newsome as their QB apparent for when Clark is done.

Word through the grapevine looks good for Devlin coming to UD. Nothing official yet. UD winter session starts the first week of January with the Spring Semester starting in early February. With no Rose Bowl to go to now always possible Devlin could enroll for the Winter Session. Of course, per NCAA rule, coaches can't comment at all until the transfer in enrolled.

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
With Devlin's departure from PSU and JoePa's contract extension, Penn St reels in dual threat Newsome as their QB apparent for when Clark is done.

Word through the grapevine looks good for Devlin coming to UD. Nothing official yet. UD winter session starts the first week of January with the Spring Semester starting in early February. With no Rose Bowl to go to now always possible Devlin could enroll for the Winter Session. Of course, per NCAA rule, coaches can't comment at all until the transfer in enrolled.

Correct if word comes before that it's from the player, his parents or his HS coach.

The Dark Knight
December 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM
It's pretty much official he is going to Delaware now... supposedly Keeler had Flacco call Devlin during warm ups before their last game and that pretty much sealed the deal....

Longhorn
December 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM

I'm sad to see that you're still smarting about UD's loss in the NC game last year. But be of good cheer. Time heals all wounds. xlolx Oh, and the 4-8 record record of this year's UD team? That was an all-time low for UD wasn't it? Well, the sting of this past season will also ebb. Maybe. Unfortunately for UD fans, there's probably more of Keeler's craptastic FB yet to come, unless he gets real lucky and recruits almost an entirely new offense via transfer. But look on the bright side...at least UD has a new score board, and the lights illuminating scores for UD are almost like-new and practically unused! ;)

And as for feeling embarrassed by JMU's performance against Montana, I'm personally not feeling it. Disappointed with the turnovers and the injury to Landers? You bet. But embarrassed? No. Even with the TOs JMU only lost by 8 with their backup QB. Remind us again, what was UD's losing margin against ASU? Oh yes, it was 20 points wasn't it? Ouch. But UD led in that game didn't they? No? Oh, double ouch. But UD did come within one score with a last possession and opportunity to tie the game, right? xwhistlex Oh, sorry. Hmmm, well then, I guess UD's performance against ASU still qualifies as an embarrassment doesn't it? I suppose UD fans will just have to live with that memory, just like JMU fans will have to live with their team's loss to Montana. xcoffeex

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm sad to see that you're still smarting about UD's loss in the NC game last year. But be of good cheer. Time heals all wounds. xlolx Oh, and the 4-8 record record of this year's UD team? That was an all-time low for UD wasn't it? Well, the sting of this past season will also ebb. Maybe. Unfortunately for UD fans, there's probably more of Keeler's craptastic FB yet to come, unless he gets real lucky and recruits almost an entirely new offense via transfer. But look on the bright side...at least UD has a new score board, and the lights illuminating scores for UD are almost like-new and practically unused! ;)

And as for feeling embarrassed by JMU's performance against Montana, I'm personally not feeling it. Disappointed with the turnovers and the injury to Landers? You bet. But embarrassed? No. Even with the TOs JMU only lost by 8 with their backup QB. Remind us again, what was UD's losing margin against ASU? Oh yes, it was 20 points wasn't it? Ouch. But UD led in that game didn't they? No? Oh, double ouch. But UD did come within one score with a last possession and opportunity to tie the game, right? xwhistlex Oh, sorry. Hmmm, well then, I guess UD's performance against ASU still qualifies as an embarrassment doesn't it? I suppose UD fans will just have to live with that memory, just like JMU fans will have to live with their team's loss to Montana. xcoffeex

more than that

cougarpines
December 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

Didn't know there was a good rectal examxlolx

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM

Longhorn's still smarting from his debunked proclamtion in 2006 that UD, so devoid of talent, wouldn't have a prayer of beating JMU until 2009, at the earliest, only to have UD dump JMU in the very next year (2007). Some of that shock at being proven wrong so quickly into his pronouncement obviously fed his vitriol as UD moved through the playoffs to the national title game last year. Perfectly understandable. xlolx