PDA

View Full Version : New Yale Coach

Bull Dog South
December 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hello,

New to board and this might have already been talked about, but does anyone have any info on possible coaches for the Yale job

Pards Rule
December 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Frank Tavani

danefan
December 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the board.

Dave Clawson possibly.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Frank Tavani

LMAO... How quickly the tides have turned! xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Frank Tavani

Are you being serious?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
While we're dreaming.. Bob Heffner? xlolx

Franks Tanks
December 10th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Are you being serious?

I HIGHLY doubt it. Frank wouldnt last two seconds with the Yale high brow crowd. Taviani, Sidelki, and Tim Murphy were all assistant coaches for Bill Russo however.

carney2
December 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hello,

New to board and this might have already been talked about, but does anyone have any info on possible coaches for the Yale job

Check this thread. You will have to sort thru a lot of other stuff to get to comments about the Yale opening, but they're in there.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53063

catamount man
December 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ty Willingham's name has surfaced for the Yale job as well.

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Brian Dowling!:D

LBPop
December 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I hear that a fairly famous Yale Alum will be looking for a new gig on January 20th. He probably can't coach, but I'll bet he'd be pretty good in a recruit's living room...xrolleyesx ;)

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I hear that a fairly famous Yale Alum will be looking for a new gig on January 20th. He probably can't coach, but I'll bet he'd be pretty good in a recruit's living room...xrolleyesx ;)

Aha! DICK CHENEY!!!xnodx :p

YaleFootballFan
December 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hello,

Great to see another Eli fan here. Welcome aboard!

No word yet on the next Yale coach. One possibility is former Fordham Head Coach and current Tennessee assistant coach Dave Clawson.

aceinthehole
December 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Ty Willingham's name has surfaced for the Yale job as well.

Don't know if that was a joke, or not, but I think that a good idea.

ngineer
December 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I HIGHLY doubt it. Frank wouldnt last two seconds with the Yale high brow crowd. Taviani, Sidelki, and Tim Murphy were all assistant coaches for Bill Russo however.

I agree. Frank doesn't seem to fit the Yale 'mold'...Of course, the same thing was said of John Whitehead when he took over for the very polished Fred Dunlap. "The Head" was viewed by many as being too 'rough around the edges'. He had been banished to the press box due to his 'blue' language on the sidelines at Taylor Stadium that were quite close to stands. Needless to say, Whitehead's tenure at Lehigh is now looked upon as one of the 'Golden Eras' of Lehigh Football. When you win, people will tend to look beyond a few personable foibles.
All of that being said, I would be shocked if Tavani left for Yale. More money, likely; but, I would have to think at his age, Frank isn't looking for a lateral move and uproot. He's got a good gig on College Hill and retire in to athletic administration.

ngineer
December 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Doing what???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xeekx

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2008, 05:45 AM

And this obscure minutiae: each of the last four U.S. presidents elected have come from I-AA/FCS schools.

bulldog10jw
December 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
From the NH Register Blog

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

Steve Addazio, current an assistant at Florida. An absolutely top-notch coach who did a sensational job during his days as Cheshire High's head coach. I just don't see him leaving Florida for anything other than a head coaching gig at a Bowl Championship Series school or an assistants job in the NFL. I also don't think dealing with the non-coaching responsibilities that come with being the head man at Yale would be his cup of tea.

Mark Whipple, currently an assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles. If you could come up with the check list of the ideal candidate, it would closely resemble Whipple's resume. A former Ivy League player who had success as a head coach in the league at Brown and was also a winner coaching in the greater New Haven area at the University of New Haven. Also won a Division I-AA national title at UMass. I know things are a little dicey in Philadelphia these days concerning the future of Whipple's current boss Andy Reid but I would be a bit surprised if Whipple headed back to the Ivy League especially with all the BCS openings popping up.

Chuck Priore, currently head coach at Stony Brook. Had a brilliant run at Trinity College, winning his last 30 games and posting three straight perfect seasons so he certainly understands recruiting while dealing with the high academic standards he would face at Yale. Priore just signed a contract extension at Stony Brook in January.

Now for a few other "candidates" with the disclaimer that this is nothing but speculation on my part since it is still very early in the process.

Kevin Morris, currently the offensive coordinator at UMass. Like Siedlecki, Morris was a former head coach at WPI and both also had coaching stints at Albany. It's hard to ignore his results at Northeastern and UMass but a 24-32 record in six seasons as the head coach at WPI might be a tough sell to the alumni who were applying increasing pressure on Siedlecki.

Frank Sheehan, currently the offensive coordinator at Brown. Has spent the last 11 years at Brown, including the last two as the director of the Bears' dynamic offense. Has ties to the state both as a player and an assistant coach at the University of New Haven but would be surprised to see Ivy League co-champions let Sheehan go to one of its biggest rivals.

Mike Pedone, currently the offensive coordinator at Holy Cross. I know some are dreaming about convincing Holy Cross head coach Tom Gilmore to head south. That seems pretty unrealistic. Pedone, who was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2008 after doing yeoman's work with the Crusaders offensive line, would seem to be a more attainable option if both Yale and Pedone are so inclined.

Now for the fun part, big names who may be available with may the operative word.
Ron Prince, former Kansas State head coach. Prince has an Ivy League background with a brief stint as an assistant coach at Cornell. The hire would make waves by making him the first black head football coach at Yale. Prince, a former offensive coordinator at Virginia, he is a well-rounded individual as he served NFL Minority Fellowships with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1996), Washington Redskins (1997), Atlanta Falcons (1999) and New York Giants (2000). Don't be surprised if BCS or NFL teams come calling for Prince but if I were involved in the process, I would certain drop a dime to speak with Prince.

Mike Dembrock, currently the offensive line coach at Washington. With Ty Willingham not returning at Washington, it's uncertain what will happen with his staff. Dembrock had coaching stints at Stanford and Notre Dame so he is no stranger to coaching in setting where academics are a priority.

Dave Clawson, formerly the offensive coordinator at Tennessee. With veteran Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer not returning, Clawson is looking for a job as reports out of Knoxville have Fulmer's entire staff looking for work. During head coaching stints at Fordham and Richmond, Clawson has a 58-49 record. Yale would be crazy not to make a run at the former head coach who began his coaching career at Albany in 1989.

Aside from all of these candidates, you have the current group of Yale assistant coaches. It is certainly hard to ignore the job defensive coordinator Rick Flanders has done especially in the last couple of years but my gut feeling is that Yale will be looking to shake things up and will not hire somebody closely affiliated with Siedlecki which would take the current staff out of the equation.

Whatever direction Yale goes, it would be wise to act quickly. The Bulldogs lose 34 players including 15 players who started games this season. The more time that goes by, the tougher it will be recruiting a class to fill the void left by an outstanding outgoing group of seniors

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Are you being serious?

No, but IF I were Yale, oh, definitely he would be on the list. I wouldn't want to lose him.

catamount man
December 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Don't know if that was a joke, or not, but I think that a good idea.

I read it at football scoop. Not the most reliable of sites, but still found in interesting.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Whatever direction Yale goes, it would be wise to act quickly. The Bulldogs lose 34 players including 15 players who started games this season. The more time that goes by, the tougher it will be recruiting a class to fill the void left by an outstanding outgoing group of seniors

The list here - with a ton of "dream candidates" (Mark Whipple, purposefully leaving an NFL job to coach Yale? Are you serious?) - display the interesting thing about this search: Nobody really jumps out and seems to be a shoo-in candidate. There are a bunch of possibilities - if they want the job.

That points to a possible "promotion from within" - that would be my guess. Either that, or Holy Cross' Mike Pedone. And don't count out the possibility of Tom Gilmore jumping, either.

aceinthehole
December 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Steve Addazio, current an assistant at Florida. An absolutely top-notch coach who did a sensational job during his days as Cheshire High's head coach. I just don't see him leaving Florida for anything other than a head coaching gig at a Bowl Championship Series school or an assistants job in the NFL. I also don't think dealing with the non-coaching responsibilities that come with being the head man at Yale would be his cup of tea.

A CCSU alum!!!!

I agree, I think he's looking for a BCS job.

Read this commentary from the New Britain Herald: http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2008/11/03/sports/doc490fc74ece330871926555.txt

Bull Dog South
December 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info. The hire from within will not be happening. Rick Flanders (DC) does not want it and no word from DB Coach Tony Reno or RB Coach Cinelli. Any of these would be great HC's. Keep the info coming

Husky Alum
December 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Here's a name of a current HC, who's been successful, has coached at Yale and elsewhere in the Ivy, and I think would be a pretty good hire.

I'm not sure he's interested, but what about Don Brown from UMass?

Don recruited me when I was in high school - he's coached at Yale, and is a defensive oriented guy like no other.

Now, he's had success at NU and UMass by taking chances on kids whose academics aren't what we'd call all that strong, but givein his past history at Yale and Brown, I've got to think someone should at least inquire.

My experience with Don is that he was never a big fan of schmoozing with alumni or the "other stuff" that goes along with the job, so that may rule him out at Yale...

bulldog10jw
December 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Here's a name of a current HC, who's been successful, has coached at Yale and elsewhere in the Ivy, and I think would be a pretty good hire.

I'm not sure he's interested, but what about Don Brown from UMass?

Don recruited me when I was in high school - he's coached at Yale, and is a defensive oriented guy like no other.

Now, he's had success at NU and UMass by taking chances on kids whose academics aren't what we'd call all that strong, but givein his past history at Yale and Brown, I've got to think someone should at least inquire.

My experience with Don is that he was never a big fan of schmoozing with alumni or the "other stuff" that goes along with the job, so that may rule him out at Yale...

My guess is that beating Murphy has risen WAY above schmoozing in importance to alumni.

ngineer
December 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The list here - with a ton of "dream candidates" (Mark Whipple, purposefully leaving an NFL job to coach Yale? Are you serious?) - display the interesting thing about this search: Nobody really jumps out and seems to be a shoo-in candidate. There are a bunch of possibilities - if they want the job.

That points to a possible "promotion from within" - that would be my guess. Either that, or Holy Cross' Mike Pedone. And don't count out the possibility of Tom Gilmore jumping, either.

Interesting thought. Gilmore is an Ivy grad (Penn, I believe) and was also an assistant at Dartmouth before becoming DC at Lehigh in the 1990's. Might depend on whether he can see scholarships comng down the road in the PL, which would make leaving more difficult. If not, being HC as one of the most prestigious schools seeped in football tradition aint' bad.

YaleFootballFan
December 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cross Dave Clawson off the list. He's heading to Bowling Green.

Dave Clawson Named BGSU Head Football Coach (http://bgsufalcons.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121208aac.html)

ngineer
December 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Dave Clawson Named BGSU Head Football Coach (http://bgsufalcons.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121208aac.html)

Good move for 'moving up the ladder'. That's a school that can improve and has had some good teams in the past. Three to five good years at BGSU will result in a 'center ring' opportunity.

Bull Dog South
December 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
anybody hear anything about the former Army coach who was let go? Possible candidate?

carney2
December 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Personally, I never had him on my "list" for Yale - or UTC or any of the other FCS jobs mentioned here and elsewhere. Clawson is now, and has always been, about movin' up. IMO, if he had taken ANY FCS job it would have been out of desperation. In other words, only because he saw no FBS opportunities available and needed to "feed his family."

ngineer
December 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Personally, I never had him on my "list" for Yale - or UTC or any of the other FCS jobs mentioned here and elsewhere. Clawson is now, and has always been, about movin' up. IMO, if he had taken ANY FCS job it would have been out of desperation. In other words, only because he saw no FBS opportunities available and needed to "feed his family."

Hey Carney--is that a new helmet and logo Frank is designing for the Leotards on your avatar??? ;) Just happened to focus on it and couldn't resist!:D Merry Christmas!

bulldog10jw
December 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Rumor only

I heard from some friends back in CT that the decision has been made and will be announced next week. They do not know anything in particular, that is just the word going around New Haven. Take it with a grain of salt.

bulldog10jw
December 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Rumor update

U Conn assistant and former Cornell head coach Tim Pendergast is the name being mentioned.

He certainly didn't do much at Cornell. xconfusedx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Rumor update

U Conn assistant and former Cornell head coach Tim Pendergast is the name being mentioned.

He certainly didn't do much at Cornell. xconfusedx

Not surprised Yale would consider someone from the UCONN program but one would think it wouldn't be a former Ivy coach. However, i don't see Yale being a very coveted job because of the lack of playoffs and national recognition gained from that.

bulldog10jw
December 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Not surprised Yale would consider someone from the UCONN program but one would think it wouldn't be a former Ivy coach. However, i don't see Yale being a very coveted job because of the lack of playoffs and national recognition gained from that.

Maybe they just need a caretaker coach until Dick Jauron gets tired of always being on the hotseat as an NFL Head Coach.

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Yale is still a good job. The head coach at Yale would get paid better then just about any other FCS coach. Also Yale still gets a lot of pub, every game is on YES and they still matter. Ir is an excellent job.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Yale is still a good job. The head coach at Yale would get paid better then just about any other FCS coach. Also Yale still gets a lot of pub, every game is on YES and they still matter. Ir is an excellent job.

It's good from a money aspect but who was the last Ivy League coach to go on to a high level FCS HC job or BCS conference coordinator job? I can't think of anyone. Maybe Dartmouth's coach from the 90's?

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM
It's good from a money aspect but who was the last Ivy League coach to go on to a high level FCS HC job or BCS conference coordinator job? I can't think of anyone. Maybe Dartmouth's coach from the 90's?

Because they dont want to leave many times. I'd rather be the HC at Harvard or Yale then some directional state school. Everybody knows the name.

Oh MArk Whipple used to coach at Brown. assume you are talking about Teevens from Dartmouth who is back. Murphy or Estes could have moved on by now if they wanted I am sure.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Because they dont want to leave many times. I'd rather be the HC at Harvard or Yale then some directional state school. Everybody knows the name.

Which is why i said BCS or high level FCS school. Outside of Bags and Murphy Ivy League coaching is poor for a reason. They just don't attract great coaches.

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Which is why i said BCS or high level FCS school. Outside of Bags and Murphy Ivy League coaching is poor for a reason. They just don't attract great coaches.

Coaching at Harvard is better then coaching at a "high level" FCS school. Whipple was Brown's HC he is now in the NFL. Teevens was the head man at Stanford. Estes, Murphy, and Bagnoli could have taken over at a low level FBS most likley--but why would they??? Make less money at an inferior university.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Coaching at Harvard is better then coaching at a "high level" FCS school. Whipple was Brown's HC he is now in the NFL. Teevens was the head man at Stanford. Estes, Murphy, and Bagnoli could have taken over at a low level FBS most likley--but why would they??? Make less money at an inferior university.

You keep making my point for me FT. I keep saying that in today's coaching climate the Ivy League is not an attractive position because coaches these days are looking for jobs that let them climb the ladder. If your goal is to coach at the highest level a HC job in the Ivy League is not an attractive option. If you're looking for job security and good pay than it is.

BTW Teevens coaching record is terrible. Basically shows Dartmouth's commitment to football.

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
You keep making my point for me FT. I keep saying that in today's coaching climate the Ivy League is not an attractive position because coaches these days are looking for jobs that let them climb the ladder. If your goal is to coach at the highest level a HC job in the Ivy League is not an attractive option. If you're looking for job security and good pay than it is.

BTW Teevens coaching record is terrible. Basically shows Dartmouth's commitment to football.

Dartmouth has ruined there program on purpose--no questions about that. I have showed you at least two people who have moved on in the last 10 years or so. Not great but it can be done just as easy in the Ivies as anywhere else in FCS. However, few want to leave because they have it so good--thats the point.

Bull Dog South
December 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Wow, the guy at UConn is a Director of FB Operations, not even a coach and he got fired from Cornell for not winning. What is the deal on that. They can't find anybody better than this or am I reading this wrong.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Wow, the guy at UConn is a Director of FB Operations, not even a coach and he got fired from Cornell for not winning. What is the deal on that. They can't find anybody better than this or am I reading this wrong.

So this is the best Yale could do?

ngineer
December 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
We're playing the Eli next year at Goodman. Will be interesting to see how 'different' the Bulldogs will be. Much coming back to work with??

Franks Tanks
December 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
We're playing the Eli next year at Goodman. Will be interesting to see how 'different' the Bulldogs will be. Much coming back to work with??

We are playing Yale next year as well. If Pendergast is the HC they will suck, what is Yale thinking?

ngineer
December 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
We are playing Yale next year as well. If Pendergast is the HC they will suck, what is Yale thinking?

Maybe they thought it was Teddy....:D

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I hate to say it in this way, but to me this is a good sign for the Patriot League. It's not Yale's idea that their HC job is a "step up" from the PL - a PL coach wasn't even leaked as a possibility.

Could this mean scholarships are... coming?

Brad82
December 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Carl Rizzi.

bulldog10jw
December 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Just a rumor. Take it with a grain of salt. They could be just floating names out there to get reactions.

Brad82
December 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
sorry-I meant Carl Ricci.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Dick Jauron should be available after just a horrible collapse against the Jets today. Why was Buffalo passing the ball with a 1:45 left in the game up by 3 points? They were running the ball at will against the Jets. DJ is a horrible football coach.

bulldog10jw
December 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Dick Jauron should be available after just a horrible collapse against the Jets today. Why was Buffalo passing the ball with a 1:45 left in the game up by 3 points? They were running the ball at will against the Jets. DJ is a horrible football coach.

I'll take him.

LEHIGH61
December 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
If Jauron isn't gone after that I'll be shocked. How much was he paid in that job. It's hard to believe the money incompetents can make.

ngineer
December 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I hate to say it in this way, but to me this is a good sign for the Patriot League. It's not Yale's idea that their HC job is a "step up" from the PL - a PL coach wasn't even leaked as a possibility.

Could this mean scholarships are... coming?

Wishful thinking, I think. Although, I agree with the premise. One would think the Yale job would be 'step up' for a PL coach IF the PL was not going to change scholarship philosophy. Certainly pays more. Of the PL coaches, I already noted Gilmore as a likely due to his rejuvenation of Holy Cross, energy and kick-ass personality. Biddle and Tavani are set and comfortable in their gigs. Coen has not shown, yet, he can do the job. And the Fordham, Bucknell and Georgetown HC's have all had their problems with don't make them immediately marketable.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Donnie Brown. Once the DC, now the future HC -- especially after his ZooMass team quit on him this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Wishful thinking, I think. Although, I agree with the premise. One would think the Yale job would be 'step up' for a PL coach IF the PL was not going to change scholarship philosophy. Certainly pays more. Of the PL coaches, I already noted Gilmore as a likely due to his rejuvenation of Holy Cross, energy and kick-ass personality. Biddle and Tavani are set and comfortable in their gigs. Coen has not shown, yet, he can do the job. And the Fordham, Bucknell and Georgetown HC's have all had their problems with don't make them immediately marketable.

It may be wishful thinking, I admit. However - it's saying something that it's so hard to think of another coach that belongs there.

Looking at all the coaches of the Ivy League for a second:

Brown's Phil Estes started in 1998
Columbia's Norries Wilson started in 2006
Cornell's Jim Knowles started in 2004
Dartmouth's Buddy Teevens started in 2005 (but was head coach there previously)
Harvard's Tim Murphy started in 1994
Penn's Al Bagnoli started in 1992
Princeton's Roger Hughes started in 2000

And Sidlecki was there for 11 years. Four of the eight current coaches were at their institutions for 9 or more years! And most (someone can verify this) were Ivy Leaguers I think before they started. Wilson was not, I believe, and maybe Hughes wasn't. But most are Ivy League "lifers".

I guess it just strikes me that there's not more movement into the Ivy League from the PL in terms of head coaches, assistant coaches, etc. The Ivy League is seen as an insular league, and it even goes to the level of coaches, too.

ngineer
December 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
It may be wishful thinking, I admit. However - it's saying something that it's so hard to think of another coach that belongs there.

Looking at all the coaches of the Ivy League for a second:

Brown's Phil Estes started in 1998
Columbia's Norries Wilson started in 2006
Cornell's Jim Knowles started in 2004
Dartmouth's Buddy Teevens started in 2005 (but was head coach there previously)
Harvard's Tim Murphy started in 1994
Penn's Al Bagnoli started in 1992
Princeton's Roger Hughes started in 2000

And Sidlecki was there for 11 years. Four of the eight current coaches were at their institutions for 9 or more years! And most (someone can verify this) were Ivy Leaguers I think before they started. Wilson was not, I believe, and maybe Hughes wasn't. But most are Ivy League "lifers".

I guess it just strikes me that there's not more movement into the Ivy League from the PL in terms of head coaches, assistant coaches, etc. The Ivy League is seen as an insular league, and it even goes to the level of coaches, too.

Actually, there has been a fair amount of movement from the Ivy to the PL in terms of assistant coaches. Lehigh, alone, has had a number of assistants in the past ten years who came from Dartmouth (Gilmore and Lembo), Princeton (Scheier), Cornell (Wilcher), and Coen and Brown came from Penn. In the other direction, we did lose OC Dave Cecchini to Harvard, and Coen to Penn back in the late '90's.

I do agree, though, that one would expect more of a movement toward the Ivy League if that were viewed as a 'step upward' in the never-ending job movement carousel that is college coaching.

bulldog10jw
December 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Let's see if their rumor is better than mine.

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

Yale: We hear the finalists for the head coaching job at Yale are Don Brown (UMASS head coach) and Tom Gilmore (Holy Cross head coach).

Libertine
December 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Is Yale considered a step up from UMass? I'm asking b/c I don't know.

dennisdent
December 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Must be about the money (he's making about 200k). I bet Yale can pay him a lot more than that.

Jackman
December 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Whipple went from Brown HC to UMass HC to NFL assistant.
Don Brown going from UMass HC to an Ivy HC would be counter to Whipple's career path.

Franks Tanks
December 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Whipple went from Brown HC to UMass HC to NFL assistant.
Don Brown going from UMass HC to an Ivy HC would be counter to Whipple's career path.

True. Its hard to say which job is better to get you to the next level (I believe both can) More of a situation where are you the happiest.

Bull Dog South
December 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Who would be a better fit and it is ashame that they are both defense guys. I was hoping they would look for a great offense mind and keep Flanders & Reno

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Who would be a better fit and it is ashame that they are both defense guys. I was hoping they would look for a great offense mind and keep Flanders & Reno

Gilmore is a former DC but since he took of as HC at Holy Cross their defense has been pretty bad the last few years. If the Crusaders had played even marginally better D the last couple years Randolph would have a few PL titles under his belt.

YaleFootballFan
December 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM

Flanders says he wants to stay on. Hopefully Yale will keep him.

I remember Don Brown when he was the defensive coordinator at Yale back in the late 80s/early 90s. If given the choice of the two (him and Gilmore) and I'd pick Don Brown.

crusader11
December 16th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'd hate to see Gilmore go, but he would be the better fit at Yale. He has been in the PL and Ivy League coaching circles his entire life, knows how to recruit these types of kids, and knows what it takes to win in these leagues.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'd hate to see Gilmore go, but he would be the better fit at Yale. He has been in the PL and Ivy League coaching circles his entire life, knows how to recruit these types of kids, and knows what it takes to win in these leagues.

I think so too, which is why I semi-floated his name. He's been around the Patriot League and Ivy League his whole coaching career.

Another thing to think about here is one of resources for Gilmore, should he go to Yale. I'm not sure Holy Cross has given him all the tools he's needed to win football championships in Worcester. With the resources of Yale behind him... he could, I think, do better than he did at Holy Cross.

You know what also helps Gilmore's pitch (assuming he's applying)? He beat Harvard two years ago, and almost beat him again this year. He knows Murphy like the back of his hand.

Bull Dog South
December 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I just wish they would announce something before the guys left for Christmas Break instead of wondering what Santa might bring

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Don Brown is a serious candidate for the Yale HC position? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

UMass74, what the heck is going on in Amherst? xeekx

Ivytalk
December 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I think so too, which is why I semi-floated his name. He's been around the Patriot League and Ivy League his whole coaching career.

Another thing to think about here is one of resources for Gilmore, should he go to Yale. I'm not sure Holy Cross has given him all the tools he's needed to win football championships in Worcester. With the resources of Yale behind him... he could, I think, do better than he did at Holy Cross.

You know what also helps Gilmore's pitch (assuming he's applying)? He beat Harvard two years ago, and almost beat him again this year. He knows Murphy like the back of his hand.

But he hasn't beaten Murphy very often.xcoolx Look at the record.

Husky Alum
December 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Don Brown's not the most honest person in the profession - but then again, who is. Other than that, he's a solid coach.

He wins, he won at Northeastern for crissakes. If you can win at NU, you can win anywhere.

He's also an excellent recruiter. He's been at Yale so he probably knows the ins/outs of admissions.

That being said, unless Yale has some "special education" program that no one's aware of, he's not going to be able to take the transfers he got at UMass.

As I mentioned before, he's not the best with alumni, but I'm sure he can bullshyt the Yale alumni the same way he fooled the NU alumi and players when he said "I'm not taking the UMass job" before taking it the next morning.

According to the New Haven Register, he's the leading candidate.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/12/17/sports/17-yale_football.txt

Lehigh Football Nation
December 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Brown would be a great Xs and Os coach for the Eli - but he obviously will not be able to transfer his way to wins over Harvard.

So Gilmore is definitely interviewing for the job, too. Good luck to him. I'd probably say that Brown would be the frontrunner, with Gilmore right behind him. Brown probably gets the nod at this point since he has a history with the Bulldogs. The question is, would Brown take it? And, what would that say about UMass' situation?

bulldog10jw
December 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
According to the New Haven Register, he's the leading candidate.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/12/17/sports/17-yale_football.txt

I like this comment in the article:

"But some alumni expressed their displeasure when Yale lost seven of its last eight games to rival Harvard".

SOME, How about MOST. xlolx

Franks Tanks
December 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Brown would be a great Xs and Os coach for the Eli - but he obviously will not be able to transfer his way to wins over Harvard.

So Gilmore is definitely interviewing for the job, too. Good luck to him. I'd probably say that Brown would be the frontrunner, with Gilmore right behind him. Brown probably gets the nod at this point since he has a history with the Bulldogs. The question is, would Brown take it? And, what would that say about UMass' situation?

Yale is the "last job" kind of place. He can spend 15 years there if he does moderately well and get paid very well for his services.

Husky Alum
December 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM

"But some alumni expressed their displeasure when Yale lost seven of its last eight games to rival Harvard".

Hey, with your endowment down 25% to "only" $17 billion, and several Yale alumni bitten by Mad Dog Madoff, I'm sure there are some alumni who were distracted by that so as to be unanimous as to their dissatisfaction i losing 7 of 8 to Harvard.

Gotta love the Register!

Bull Dog South
December 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
What does a coach in the ivy's make. Anyone know?

DrG
December 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
The question is, would Brown take it? And, what would that say about UMass' situation?

All it would say is Yale can pay him more. I'm sure there would be no shortage of qualified candidates if he did leave.

YaleFootballFan
December 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM

MOST, how about ALL! xeekx

Ivytalk
December 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
MOST, how about ALL! xeekx

Harvard insouciance.xcoolx xcoffeex

:p

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Is Yale considered a step up from UMass? I'm asking b/c I don't know.

In terms of salary and alumni network, donations, it absolutely will be.

dennisdent
December 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well Yale fans looks like Browny's almost your man. Make sure he has a high buyout amount.xthumbsupx

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/12/umass_football_coach_don_brown_1.html

bulldog10jw
December 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Holy Cross coach Tom Gilmore has pulled out of the running for the vacant Yale football job.

Gilmore was in New Haven on Monday interviewing for the job held by his close friend Jack Siedlecki for the last 12 seasons.

Rocks22
December 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Don Brown staying at UMass:

http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/blog/index.cfm/2008/12/18/UMass-Brown-is-staying

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Everyone's first reaction to this was, why would (Don Brown, Tom Gilmore) want to go from the (CAA, Patriot League) to the Ivy League, because once you're at Yale, you have a tendency to not go back?

A week later, that's what eventually happened. Funny how the first impression can sometimes be the right impression, despite press to the contrary.

This sure as hell seems to put Yale in a real pickle:

The Register cited Yale sources in referring to Brown as the front-runner for the job. Other candidates for the position are Holy Cross coach Tom Gilmore, Florida offensive line coach Steve Addazio, Sacred Heart coach Jim Fleming and Stanford offensive coordinator Dave Shaw.

Stanford offensive coordinator Dave Shaw and Akron defensive coordinator Jim Fleming are known to have interviewed with Yale officials although indications are that Shaw and Fleming are not in the running to replace Siedlecki.

That only leaves one name on the "short list" - a guy with no Ivy League recruiting experience. This is blowing up in Yale's face, IMO.

Ivytalk
December 19th, 2008, 07:59 AM
How about George W. Bush?xrotatehx

ngineer
December 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
How about George W. Bush?xrotatehx

Can you imagine that halftime pep talk! Players wouldn't have any idea what to do...xeekx

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
amusing

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-process.html

Here I am, comfy as can be in the Joel Smilow Center. With my computer nestled safely in my lap, my notebook in one hand and trusty tape recorder in the other.

I am ready for the press conference. So who is going to emerge behind door No. 2? Don Brown, Tom Gilmore, Steve Addazio, Tom Williams? Maybe Bill Belichick, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron, Tom Coughlin or George Halas are preparing their final thoughts as they prepare to meet the masses. Wait, can one person be considering "the masses." Actually, outside a couple of representatives from the campus newspaper the turnout is on par for the coverage Yale received during the season in this very same room following the Bulldogs' home games. So I guess I should not be distressed that I am the only person here. Hold on, somebody just informed me that Papa Bear Halas passed away in 1983. "Well, cross him off then." (Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to quote a line from Major League).

YaleFootballFan
December 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
At this point we might as well wait until the NFL Regular Season is done to see if DICK JAURON will be available. xrolleyesx

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
At this point we might as well wait until the NFL Regular Season is done to see if DICK JAURON will be available. xrolleyesx

I was thinking they may as well name Carm Cozza as interim coach for next year. Since he is part of the broadcast team he knows the players and they have probably already blown this years recruiting season anyway. Maybe there will be better candidates for Yale's HC position next year. xcoolx

YaleFootballFan
December 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I was thinking they may as well name Carm Cozza as interim coach for next year. Since he is part of the broadcast team he knows the players and they have probably already blown this years recruiting season anyway. Maybe there will be better candidates for Yale's HC position next year. xcoolx

That, or reinstate Jack Siedlecki at the head coach. At this point, why not?

Aside from Carm, he may be the most qualified person right now.

Bull Dog South
December 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hey Yale Guy's,

Do you think that would happen with either one of them. Also do you know anything about the Williams guy?

YaleFootballFan
December 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Yale Guy's,

Do you think that would happen with either one of them. Also do you know anything about the Williams guy?

Though Steve Addazio appears to be the new frontrunner for the Yale job, I doubt he comes here. He's making way too much money as an Assistant Head Coach in the SEC and Yale can't top that. Even the lure of returning to his home state probably isn't enough. Addazio will likely stay on at Florida or take a job at Mississippi State.

Tom Williams - the current Jacksonville Jaguars assistant coach - is the realistic choice, but I'm not sure if he's qualified for the job. He's had zero head coaching experience. Granted he was an assistant at Stanford, but does he have what it takes to be a head coach in the Ivy League?

Brown and Gillmore were the guys for the job. I think Yale thought they were going to land one of the two.

Ivytalk
December 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yale must care lots more about football than Harvard does. I can't see the jaded Harvard alums calling for Murphy's scalp if he loses 7 of his next 8 to Yale but posts an overall winning record. I just don't see it.xcoffeex xrolleyesx

YaleFootballFan
December 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yale must care lots more about football than Harvard does. I can't see the jaded Harvard alums calling for Murphy's scalp if he loses 7 of his next 8 to Yale but posts an overall winning record. I just don't see it.xcoffeex xrolleyesx

I never realized how influential and powerful the Yale alums are until I read Carm Cozza's "True Blue" book some 10 years ago. Winning Ivy titles and having winning seasons are great, but you have to beat Harvard to survive. It's the harsh reality for a Yale football coach.

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM

I think if Yale had actually been competitive in most of those losses to H, it MAY have been different. Losing is one thing, but Yale was mostly inept in those losses. Pisses people off.

bulldog10jw
December 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I never realized how influential and powerful the Yale alums are until I read Carm Cozza's "True Blue" book some 10 years ago. Winning Ivy titles and having winning seasons are great, but you have to beat Harvard to survive. It's the harsh reality for a Yale football coach.

Good book by Carm. Took Bart Giamatti to task for Yale losing its recruiting edge in the late '70's.

bulldog10jw
December 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Sources say that Yale's AD offered Brown $300,000/year. When he went to the Yale President for approval he said no way was Yale going to pay more than Jack was getting, obviously less than 300K.

How could the AD and the President not have been on the same page with regards to salary?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM
Sources say that Yale's AD offered Brown $300,000/year. When he went to the Yale President for approval he said no way was Yale going to pay more than Jack was getting, obviously less than 300K.

How could the AD and the President not have been on the same page with regards to salary?

xeekx

How does that relate in terms of FCS coaching salaries? I'd bet it's more than Clawson got at Bowling Green... so it would have made him - I think- the top-paid head coach in all of FCS.

So I think the question is - how on earth did the Yale AD think that he had the authority to offer that much?

bulldog10jw
December 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
xeekx

How does that relate in terms of FCS coaching salaries? I'd bet it's more than Clawson got at Bowling Green... so it would have made him - I think- the top-paid head coach in all of FCS.

So I think the question is - how on earth did the Yale AD think that he had the authority to offer that much?

Yale's AD came to Yale from Stanford. PAC-10 thinking must be that 300K is a bargain. xlolx

bulldog10jw
December 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM

In Wednesday's edition of the Register there will be an update on the attempt to fill the vacant Yale head football coach job.

Sources have indicated to us that former Cheshire High coach Steve Addazio can have the job if he so desires. That is a big "if."

Addazio is in contention for the plum gig as Florida's offensive coordinator with former Gators' OC Dan Mullen taking the head job at Mississippi State. There was some bantering about Mullen even attempting to lure Addazio, currently Florida's offensive line coach, to Starkville to be Mississippi State's offensive coordinator. I'm not sure how likely that scenario is with three of the assistants Mullen has hired to date being former offensive coordinators. The opening at Florida is a different story.

bulldog10jw
December 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/12/24/sports/24-yaleshort.txt

The search for Yale University’s next head football coach, now in Day 28 of the process, is on hold while University of Florida assistant head coach/offensive line coach Steve Addazio decides whether he wants to step out of the fast lane of major college football.

Addazio, according to sources, is trying to determine if Yale fits his — and his family’s —lifestyle as well or better than the higher paying job as offensive coordinator at either Florida or Mississippi State.

Sources say that his decision is not based on money as much as lifestyle.

An offensive coordinator at Florida, for instance, could make upwards of $500,000. The Yale position is believed to be in the vicinity of $250,000.

Addazio, 49, coached Cheshire High to a streak of 34 straight wins (which eventually topped out at 49 victories under Mark Ecke in 1996).

Addazio has since coached at Western Connecticut State University, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Indiana and Florida. An offensive coordinator position at a place like Florida could ultimately lead to Addazio being his own boss at a major football university.

Yale, according to sources, had first hoped to pry Don Brown away from the University of Massachusetts, but UMass administrators quickly moved in to sweeten the terms of Brown’s contract.

If Addazio decides to stay at Florida, Yale will likely re-open the candidate pool and lengthen the process indefinitely.

YaleFootballFan
December 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Dick Jauron's future as coach of the Buffalo Bills will be determined in the next two weeks.

Bills owner Wilson unsure whether Jauron will be returning (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d8fffe&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

bulldog10jw
December 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM
This is getting embarrassing. It may be time to make one of the assistants the "interim" HC and see who is available next year.

Former Cheshire High coach Steve Addazio is the latest candidate to decide to stay where he is rather than remain in contention for the vacant Yale football job.

On Saturday night the University of Florida released a statement with the news that Addazio has been named Florida's offensive coordinator.

Syntax Error
December 28th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Hang in there, coaching Yale is indeed a "lifestyle" position.

Bull Dog South
December 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Let Flanders be the Interim HC and see how it goes. He might be able to put up with all the BS that the position has. He is the best possible person now and hire a good OC.

aceinthehole
December 29th, 2008, 08:06 AM
This is getting embarrassing. It may be time to make one of the assistants the "interim" HC and see who is available next year.

Former Cheshire High coach Steve Addazio is the latest candidate to decide to stay where he is rather than remain in contention for the vacant Yale football job.

On Saturday night the University of Florida released a statement with the news that Addazio has been named Florida's offensive coordinator.

Sorry, I saw that coming. He wasn't going to leave the BCS "lifestyle" for the Ivy League.

Yale is still a great job, you just need the right fit.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I think Jauron is going to get the job. No special intelligence concerning this vacancy, just a hunch that the Bills are going to send him his walking papers and Yale will basically beg Jauron for the job.

This smacks to me as simply overreaching by Yale's AD - thinking that the Yale coaching position is a bit more of a crown jewel than it is perceived around college football. Could it be the same sort of insular thinking that imagines that Yale would be a "top 25" FBS school if they elected to play in that subdivision?

Maverick
December 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Well now that it is being reported that Jauron is staying with the Bills what direction does Yale take to get a head coach?

Libertine
December 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Mike Shanahan is now available. I don't know if you Yalies go for the lipless look, though.

Maverick
December 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM
How about the Mangenius?

Ivytalk
December 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hell, get a Harvard guy in there! Look what Tim Taylor did for Yale's hockey team. Just sayin'!xwhistlex

bulldog10jw
December 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hell, get a Harvard guy in there! Look what Tim Taylor did for Yale's hockey team. Just sayin'!xwhistlex

Tim did improve Yale hockey. They went from terrible to mediocre. xlolx

bulldog10jw
December 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think Jauron is going to get the job. No special intelligence concerning this vacancy, just a hunch that the Bills are going to send him his walking papers and Yale will basically beg Jauron for the job.

Not Jauron, either

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800733

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Bills coach Dick Jauron will return next season after team owner Ralph Wilson decided a shake up wasn't necessary despite a third consecutive 7-9 finish that left unhappy fans demanding change.

YaleFootballFan
December 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Everyday its looking more and more like Jacksonville Jaguars assistant coach Tom Williams will be the next Yale head coach.

The question is, does he even want the job? xconfusedx

YaleFootballFan
December 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Here's a good candidate, though I'm not sure if he's even interested....

Former Holy Cross coach Mark Duffner is the linebackers coach for the Jaguars. Here's someone with head coaching experience (Holy Cross and Maryland) and - as we all know - was very successful in his 10 year stint with the Crusaders.

Does Duffner have any interest in returning to the collegiate level as a head coach? I think he'd make a fine choice for the vacant Yale job.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Former Holy Cross coach Mark Duffner is the linebackers coach for the Jaguars. Here's someone with head coaching experience (Holy Cross and Maryland) and - as we all know - was very successful in his 10 year stint with the Crusaders.

Does Duffner have any interest in returning to the collegiate level as a head coach? I think he'd make a fine choice for the vacant Yale job.

Duff a great job taking over for Rick Carter who left him a powerhouse. However, he quickly proceeded to leverage that very sad, but lucky break into a job at Maryland, leaving the Holy Cross cupboard bare when he left.

He also did a great job for the Terps, getting fired in short order.

He won at HC because of Carter's fine work and when he had scholarships vs the other non-scholly Patriot League teams. When HC took them away, he sunk like a lead anchor, .....

Sounds just like what the Yalies would like on board, ....

WHat happened to Donny Brown?

Tribe4SF
December 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM

xthumbsupx Can't go wrong with a former Tribe player!

ngineer
December 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hey, Mike Shanahan's available!!;) I'm sure Yale has the money...xrolleyesx

Bull Dog South
January 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Any new word on the coaching front? Seems Jerry Rice Jr is still looking at Yale. That would be a good fit if Brady throws the ball next year with (we hope) new coach

bulldog10jw
January 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Last candidate standing?

Excuse me if I don't use the term "front-runner" ever again in reference to candidates to become the new Yale football coach since the last two people deemed to be in the lead to replace Jack Siedlecki as Yale's new coach decided to stay put.

But the word is that Tom Williams, who was impressive in his initial interview at Yale, is still in the running for the job left vacant when Siedlecki stepped down to take a job as an assistant athletic director a few days after a season-ending loss to Harvard.

bulldog10jw
January 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/01/04/sports/4_i_was_thinking.txt

By Dave Solomon, Register Sports Columnist

I was thinking: At what point does the protracted Yale football coaching process become a serious detriment to the freshman recruiting class of 2009 and, in turn, future success?

Yale can spin away the fact that they are the only remaining Division I football school with a vacancy sign in the head coach’s chair by falling on the old cliche' that they won’t settle for a less-than-ideal candidate, no matter how long it takes.

We’re now into that territory, at 39 days and counting — which is basically triple that of other schools where coaches either resigned or were fired at the end of the season.

There are a lot of talented young Ivy recruits on the fence who want to know, first and foremost, that they have a comfort level with the head coach at Yale, and secondly, that the assistant coach who they have built a relationship with will still be there in a week, two weeks, a month.

Yale was shooting pretty high with Steve Addazio and Don Brown, both of whom we firmly believe turned down the job over money. A strong rumor is that Plan C is Tom Williams, the Jacksonville Jaguars first-year defensive assistant who, according to sources, has interviewed twice. Williams, a Stanford grad with no Ivy or even Eastern football ties, is said to be mulling over an offer, even as we speak.

If he were to say no, Yale may be back at square one, with an important recruiting weekend coming up.

As I watch the process from the gallery, I’m wondering if President Rick Levin and his inner sanctum of bean counters realize that the head coach salary at Yale (probably max $250,000) is not competitive enough to attract top candidates. They like to live in the past and think Yale is a fairy tale job, but they won’t pay the head coach a salary sufficient to close the deal with someone like Addazio. To the best of our knowledge, Yale’s head coaching salary is no higher than third among the league’s head coaches — and very well may be lower than that.

Does that sound like a powerful commitment to get the best man?

Yet they expect the coach to win every game.

Jack Siedlecki went 23-7 in his last three years ... and that wasn’t good enough because he lost seven of his last eight games to Harvard. The fact is, five of seven Ivy League schools have lost seven of their last eight games to Harvard. Princeton has won only two of eight and Penn, as dominant as it was, has won only three of the last eight.

carney2
January 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I'm sure that if I reviewed all 125 or so posts to this thread I would find the answer(s) to this question, but I'm lazy, so

Why is this the job nobody wants?

Tribe4SF
January 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Yale is entering negative space by taking this long. If they hire a new coach this week, he will be under pressure to retain assistants, whether he wants them or not because recruiting will be thrown into chaos if he lets people go. Not a very enviable position for a new HC.

I actually hope they take awhile to make a decision. The Tribe is competing with Yale (along with Stanford) for LB Brian Leffler from NJ, and the uncertainty has to be hurting Yale's cause.

Eight Legger
January 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I am not trying to be disrespectful of Yale or the Ivies here, but can someone explain to me why any of the top name coaches that have been discussed in this thread as candidates would have even considered taking this job? If you go to Yale, you can't recruit from the normal crop of athletes, you have no chance to even compete for a national championship, and no one outside of the Ivy League gives a damn about what your team does. There is no coverage of Yale football on TV. Nationally it is an unknown entity. Maybe this was a top job in 1950, but why would ANY established and successful coach go there now?

The best Yale can hope for, in my outsider estimation, is a Yale alum who has achieved some success and is a "name" guy, or an up and coming coach who is looking to have some success and then move on. I can't conceive of why a guy like Dick Jauron or some other NFL guy would want this job in a million years. Please enlighten me!

YaleFootballFan
January 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
If you go to Yale, you can't recruit from the normal crop of athletes, you have no chance to even compete for a national championship, and no one outside of the Ivy League gives a damn about what your team does. There is no coverage of Yale football on TV. Nationally it is an unknown entity.

Actually, more than half of Yale's games from last season were on television, including the Princeton and Harvard games that were televised nationally on VERSUS. The YES Network, the most-watched regional sports network in the country, televised 3 Yale games as part of their Yale On YES (http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080408aaa.html) package. Most FCS schools probably wish they had half the television exposure that Yale gets yearly.

colorless raider
January 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Actually, more than half of Yale's games from last season were on television, including the Princeton and Harvard games that were televised nationally on VERSUS. The YES Network, the most-watched regional sports network in the country, televised 3 Yale games as part of their Yale On YES (http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080408aaa.html) package. Most FCS schools probably wish they had half the television exposure that Yale gets yearly.

Yes, I am envious of the tv exposure. However, after watching it was pretty boring watching that Yale offense.

YaleFootballFan
January 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
However, after watching it was pretty boring watching that Yale offense.

Boring for you, frustrating for us! xmadx

Bull Dog South
January 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
This is true about frustrating, but the history of Yale football is important and even though Richmond won the Championship, they were never on TV. Yale was on TV at least 4 times and that does help with recruiting. Being from the South I never thought much of the Ivies but have a new respect for the football.

Franks Tanks
January 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
This is true about frustrating, but the history of Yale football is important and even though Richmond won the Championship, they were never on TV. Yale was on TV at least 4 times and that does help with recruiting. Being from the South I never thought much of the Ivies but have a new respect for the football.

Every Yale game is on the YES network, which is the NY Yankees station and is broadcast all over the NE. I had every single Yale game this year televised in HD.

Eight Legger
January 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Richmond had 3 or 4 regular season games on regional cable and the final two playoff games on ESPN and ESPN2, in addition to beating App in a game that was on ESPN Gameplan. I'd say we had more exposure than Yale. But I didn't know about the YES Network. That is good exposure.

I guess I just don't think the Yale job (or any Ivy job) makes sense unless the coach is making his final stop or looking to move up after doing well. I don't think a league can sell itself as a destination when there is NO opportunity to win a championship. Sorry, but coaches like to win titles or at least know that it is possible to win one. It sucks for the league, but I think that's the reality. Get your presidents to allow your teams to play in the playoffs and maybe you'll get some better coaches.

JetsLuvver
January 5th, 2009, 01:10 AM
The subject has been beaten to death, but the Ivy League's self-imposed exclusion from the playoffs is ridiculous, especially considering their involvement in postseason tournaments in every other sport.

I'm not sure why the powers that be in this conference seem to think an extra game or two on the schedule will corrupt their players and drag down standards.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Every Yale game is on the YES network, which is the NY Yankees station and is broadcast all over the NE. I had every single Yale game this year televised in HD.

The problem with this is that empty seats only look worse in HD than they do with a conventional broadcast. And the Yale Bowl, let's face it, is decrepit.

TV only means something if 1) the product on the field is worth watching (in Yale's case, the answer is yes since they won football games), and 2) if the game atmosphere is anything to write home about (having seen a bunch of them on TV the past few years, that answer is a resounding NO.)

Franks Tanks
January 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
The problem with this is that empty seats only look worse in HD than they do with a conventional broadcast. And the Yale Bowl, let's face it, is decrepit.

TV only means something if 1) the product on the field is worth watching (in Yale's case, the answer is yes since they won football games), and 2) if the game atmosphere is anything to write home about (having seen a bunch of them on TV the past few years, that answer is a resounding NO.)

The bowl was redone a year or two ago. I believe they fixed up the concrete and put in new bleachers. I do agree the cavernous bowl looks pretty bad with 5k people scattered about.

YaleFootballFan
January 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Not sure when was the last time you were in the Yale Bowl, but the last couple years the Bowl has gone through major restoration. (http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/facilities/bowl_restoration.html) There's new seats, a brand new scoreboard, all 30 tunnels have been redone and the exterior and interior walls have been rebuilt. By next season there will be a new Field Center directly behind the press box with meeting rooms and roof top sky boxes. Plus the existing sky boxes will be redone.

The Yale Bowl is back to being the gem that it once was.

http://www.ct.gov/cct/lib/cct/film/locations/10YaleBowl10.JPG

http://www.ct.gov/cct/lib/cct/film/locations/07YaleBowl07.JPG

http://www.ct.gov/cct/lib/cct/film/locations/01YaleBowl01.jpg

Husky Alum
January 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM
If Yale waited, Jeff Jagodzinski may have been available, and cheap, after the Beagles get rid of him and still have to pay his contract.

I still think Donnie Brown would have been perfect for this job.

YaleFootballFan
January 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM

The job was his if Yale was willing to pay him what he wanted, or at least what Tom Beckett allegedly wanted to pay him.

Either way, I'm happy with the choice they made (Williams). Now we can move forward.

bulldog10jw
January 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
The job was his if Yale was willing to pay him what he wanted, or at least what Tom Beckett allegedly wanted to pay him.

Either way, I'm happy with the choice they made (Williams). Now we can move forward.

Makes you wonder how much Beckett is being paid.

Bull Dog South
January 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
just heard that possibly the DB coach at Yale is heading to Harvard in the same position...Guess it didn't work out with the new coach. That is a shame, they had good D coaches at Yale.

YaleFootballFan
January 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Brown resigns at UMass....

Don Brown leaves UMass to be defensive coordinator at Maryland (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010909aaa.html)

YaleFootballFan
January 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
just heard that possibly the DB coach at Yale is heading to Harvard in the same position...Guess it didn't work out with the new coach. That is a shame, they had good D coaches at Yale.

It's official. Reno is heading to Harvard:

Reno leaves Yale for Harvard coordinator job (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1277352)

According to the article Reno’s move had nothing to do with the hiring of Tom Williams as HC and Reno likely would have made the move even if Siedlecki stayed on.