PDA

View Full Version : UD Trustees Approve Purchase of 270-Acre Chrysler Newark Site

Ud1Hens
December 9th, 2008, 09:17 PM
UD finally released what supporters have been wanting, a new stadium.

Here are some highlights of the article then the conceptual plan for the entire complex.

-"It includes a makeover of the David M. Nelson Athletic Complex on the south end of campus featuring a new football stadium, with possibly as many as 30,000 seats

-The complex would be redesigned in a layout mirroring the Green, central campus’ signature area, and include a tree-lined walkway to campus with a bridge over the railroad tracks.

-An Athletic performance center would be constructed at the southwest corner of the Nelson complex. It would house a weight-training and conditioning center, athletic training and sports medicine offices and academic support services available to all of UD’s 600-plus varsity athletes, plus offices, locker rooms and the UD Athletics Hall of Fame.

-Said President Harker: “It’s the biggest thing we can do to attract great student-athletes.”The building will be the first university structure those entering campus from I-95 and South College Avenue, heading north, will see. Therefore, it will be visually appealing and serve as a “front door” or “gateway” to the university, Harker said.A new stadium, Harker said, would have, or possesses the potential to easily expand to, a seating capacity of 30,000, which is the minimum for Division I-A.

-“The two most important things we do are recruit and develop,” said football coach K.C. Keeler, who has long championed such a structure. “When you recruit, student-athletes look primarily at your weight-training and your academic services facilities. They feel you’re going to bring them in at one level and take them to another level because of this great weight-lifting facility. And having the strong academic support system in place, they can conceptually see how they’ll be monitored academically.”

-A new stadium, Harker said, would have, or possesses the potential to easily expand to, a seating capacity of 30,000, which is the minimum for Division I-A. “This will be a stadium that would allow us, at some future date, and I’m not saying we would ever do this, if somebody ever wanted to go [NCAA Division] I-A, we wouldn’t be precluded from doing that because our stadium’s too small,” Harker said.

Here is the layout:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/images/South_Campus_Conceptual_Plan.pdf

GrizDen
December 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Once you have some pics of what the updated stadium will look like, please share. Up to 30K....setting up for a move to FBS when the moratorium is up?

Ud1Hens
December 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Once you have some pics of what the updated stadium will look like, please share. Up to 30K....setting up for a move to FBS when the moratorium is up?

Will do Griz. This is going to be a pretty long process but people are happy to see something finally down on paper. They are basically revamping and/or moving every athletic facility. In regards to the FBS move...It wouldn't be in the extreme foreseeable future, honestly. Let's just start with the stadium and move from there.

ValleyChamp
December 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
The Sun Belt championship is only a few years away.

Ud1Hens
December 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM

That is exactly why UD isn't going to go FBS. UConn did it because it made sense, same for Boise St., etc. Playing in a conference with zero big game tie ins doesn't improve the program...plus I'd venture to say that every team currently in the playoffs could win the MAC, haha.

ValleyChamp
December 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Unless you are one of about 10 teams in the FBS, you have no shot to win a championship.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Or, maybe the MAC or Conf USA, ....

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Link: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081210/NEWS03/812100345

The University of Delaware is now the lone bidder on the Chrysler Newark assembly plant site, which is shutting down for good in three weeks, and the Board of Trustees has authorized the purchase. UD was originally outbid by a DE developer and a NY real estate firm, but those two backed out. The University will likely lay low for a few weeks to see what happens with Chrysler and the auto bailout, because that could determine if Delaware gets an even cheaper deal, as the two parties are still in negotiations. The site is across the street from the current UD athletic complex. University officials maintain that there are no current plans to move the football team, but time will tell. Here is the portion of the article discussing football:

Several possible uses for the site -- including new athletic facilities and a technology park -- have been circulating since word got out that UD was interested in the land. Cosgrove and UD President Patrick Harker said Tuesday there are no plans to move the university's football stadium to the site.

I know from reading opinions here and on gohens.net that our fanbase is pretty evenly divided on what to do as far as rebuild or relocate for the football team and whether to stick around FCS or pull a Connecticut. My personal opinion now is that with this property literally falling into our lap, it's time to make the logical step up. Build it and they will come. xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
December 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Great conceptual plan!!!!!!!

With the current economic situation, how realistic is it? Do you have the cash on hand, or do you need fundraising/state funds?

Good luck!

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Great conceptual plan!!!!!!!

With the current economic situation, how realistic is it? Do you have the cash on hand, or do you need fundraising/state funds?

Good luck!

The University's endowment is in the $1.3 Billion range. The school has no problem borrowing any funds necessary for construction.

BlueHen86
December 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I'm glad to see that UD is sticking with the two endzone concept. I was worried that UD might replace one of the endzones with additional seating since the team seldom utilized it.:p

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Looks like a lot in a little amount of space. Hope they get a good deal with some contractors with the current situation. At least they should!

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Here is the layout:
Well I sure hope either 4. TBD or 8. TBD are ice rinks and pools because that's where they have the new stadium sitting. xconfusedx xeyebrowx

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM
BTW, my favorite thing about this conceptual plan is converting The Tub to soccer and lax so they can keep those ugly lines off the football field. It would also allow for a natural grass surface for football. xthumbsupx

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
OK, hadn't seen UD1Hens thread with the proposed layout for the updated athletic complex. I'm OK with a new stadium in that layout. Man, the new complex is going to be awesome when finished. I guess the Chrysler facility will be strictly a technology park. I know Delaware is also adding a Law School, so maybe it will be down there too?

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
BTW, my favorite thing about this conceptual plan is converting The Tub to soccer a lax so they can keep those ugly lines off the football field. It would also allow for a natural grass surface for football. xthumbsupx

Amen to that!xbowx

And doesn't it seem a huge waste that they just built new football practice fields that are going to be ripped out to be the "athletic green"?

Can't wait for the new stadium. It's been a long time coming.

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
One other note, Rullo Stadium would become a field hockey stadium in a new location? Considering Mr. Rullo gave $1M for a lacrosse stadium I wonder how he'd feel about be relegated to field hockey (no offense to field hockey players or fans). xeyebrowx

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
And doesn't it seem a huge waste that they just built new football practice fields that are going to be ripped out to be the "athletic green"?
I wonder if they can pull them up and reuse them. xeyebrowx

Odd that they show that they would keep the West Side of The Tub and tear down the East Side. I'm pretty sure the East Side is 20+ years newer than the West. Seems like that would be a mistake. xeyebrowx

th0m
December 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
So you're completely tearing down Delaware Stadium and rebuilding a 30k stadium. That's pretty neat. Any idea on the timeline?

From the article it seems like it'll take a while before the site is even bought, let alone dealt with the environmental issues, demolition, and construction.

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I wonder if they can pull them up and reuse them. xeyebrowx

Odd that they show that they would keep the West Side of The Tub and tear down the East Side. I'm pretty sure the East Side is 20+ years newer than the West. Seems like that would be a mistake. xeyebrowx

The West is the shady side, so I guess that's the reasoning.

It also looks like the new football stadium is asymmetric with the West Side larger than the East. I personally prefer symmetry and would have liked the SEZ enclosed as well. But hey, all I'm going off is a footprint. Seeing the actual stadium plans may sway my opinion.

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
So you're completely tearing down Delaware Stadium and rebuilding a 30k stadium. That's pretty neat. Any idea on the timeline?

From the article it seems like it'll take a while before the site is even bought, let alone dealt with the environmental issues, demolition, and construction.
Go see the other thread. Maybe they should be combined anyway. The Tub may not be torn down. xthumbsupx

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The West is the shady side, so I guess that's the reasoning.
AFAIK, most soccer and lax games are midday, so it really doesn't matter. I guess it's a little better viewing with the sun at your back, but it also casts a shadow on the field. Maybe some people who have one sided stadiums can tell us if the big side faces the sun... YSU, MSU fans??

I think Richmond's big side is an "east side".

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
That new walkway to central campus and the footbridge over the Amtrak line is a great addition. They should really put in a people mover though. It's hard to get hungover college kids to walk a half mile for early games. Don't ask me how I know. And I bet the neighborhood there around Academy St and Kells is just thrilled at the prospect of thousands of said kids coming through their neighborhood on Saturday nights.xlolx

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I am OK with the mods deleting this thread. If we're not building a football stadium on the Chrysler site, then this thread is not really football related.

At least we're getting a new stadium!

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
That new walkway to central campus and the footbridge over the Amtrak line is a great addition.
Nice! Didn't notice that. Would make it a little easier walk from Harrington and the rest of the eastern dorms. I was an Ag student my first year and it was a royal pain in the arse walking to and from Townsend. xoopsx

Rob Iola
December 10th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Nice! Didn't notice that. Would make it a little easier walk from Harrington and the rest of the eastern dorms. I was an Ag student my first year and it was a royal pain in the arse walking to and from Townsend. xoopsx
You? Animal husbandry?

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
You? Animal husbandry?
Nah. Crops.

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Concept pic of the Student Athlete Performance Center:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/images/Student-Athlete_Performance_Ctr_lg.jpg

And here's a great template for a dartboard:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/images/johnson-edgar_lg.jpg

Rob Iola
Nah. Crops.
Dude, it's a long, long way from UD Ag school to Congressional - nice to know that you remember your roots...

Get it? "Roots" HAHAHAHAHAHA

oh OK, sorry...

whitey
Nice to see all these CAA schools constantly improving facilities.

GoBlueHens83
December 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rob Iola
December 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Quick ASU fans - offer to sell him your NC tix!

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Any Delaware fans who had reservations about a new stadium,

Rest assured that this one will retain all of your favorite features from the current Delaware Stadium and add many new ones:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/93bluehen/peewall.jpg

Go...gate
December 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
UD finally released what supporters have been wanting, a new stadium.

Here are some highlights of the article then the conceptual plan for the entire complex.

-"It includes a makeover of the David M. Nelson Athletic Complex on the south end of campus featuring a new football stadium, with possibly as many as 30,000 seats
-The complex would be redesigned in a layout mirroring the Green, central campus’ signature area, and include a tree-lined walkway to campus with a bridge over the railroad tracks.

-An Athletic performance center would be constructed at the southwest corner of the Nelson complex. It would house a weight-training and conditioning center, athletic training and sports medicine offices and academic support services available to all of UD’s 600-plus varsity athletes, plus offices, locker rooms and the UD Athletics Hall of Fame.

-Said President Harker: “It’s the biggest thing we can do to attract great student-athletes.”The building will be the first university structure those entering campus from I-95 and South College Avenue, heading north, will see. Therefore, it will be visually appealing and serve as a “front door” or “gateway” to the university, Harker said. A new stadium, Harker said, would have, or possesses the potential to easily expand to, a seating capacity of 30,000, which is the minimum for Division I-A.

-“The two most important things we do are recruit and develop,” said football coach K.C. Keeler, who has long championed such a structure. “When you recruit, student-athletes look primarily at your weight-training and your academic services facilities. They feel you’re going to bring them in at one level and take them to another level because of this great weight-lifting facility. And having the strong academic support system in place, they can conceptually see how they’ll be monitored academically.”

-A new stadium, Harker said, would have, or possesses the potential to easily expand to, a seating capacity of 30,000, which is the minimum for Division I-A. “This will be a stadium that would allow us, at some future date, and I’m not saying we would ever do this, if somebody ever wanted to go [NCAA Division] I-A, we wouldn’t be precluded from doing that because our stadium’s too small,” Harker said.

Here is the layout:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/images/South_Campus_Conceptual_Plan.pdf

Post-football/basketball school break-up ALL-SPORTS Big East, anyone? Rutgers, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Delaware, Louisville, South Florida, Syracuse, Cincinnati, West Virginia? Lots of regional (and football) synergies there. UD already has a fine basketball facility in the Carpenter Center. I think we are seeing the future.

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
The University's endowment is in the $1.3 Billion range. The school has no problem borrowing any funds necessary for construction.

Or you could give Denny Washington a call. I hear he helped build somebody's stadium. :p

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Maybe UD can hire all those laid-off Chrysler workers to build it!xcoolx

UD77
December 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
That new walkway to central campus and the footbridge over the Amtrak line is a great addition. They should really put in a people mover though. It's hard to get hungover college kids to walk a half mile for early games. Don't ask me how I know. And I bet the neighborhood there around Academy St and Kells is just thrilled at the prospect of thousands of said kids coming through their neighborhood on Saturday nights.xlolx

I never had a problem but we were much tougher than the kids today.

813Jag
December 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Concept pic of the Student Athlete Performance Center:

http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/images/Student-Athlete_Performance_Ctr_lg.jpg

That's a nice picture of Southern U. xlolx Seriously it's good to see schools making plans to improve facilities. xthumbsupx

EKU05
December 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
If someone already mentioned this sorry, but they actually don't have a stadium size requirement for FBS anymore...only the 15,000 attendance thing which is virtually meaningless anyway. You would think the administration championing such a project would be in the know on something like that.

(For proof look no further than WKU whose newly expanded stadium holds only 23,000).

93henfan
December 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
If someone already mentioned this sorry, but they actually don't have a stadium size requirement for FBS anymore...only the 15,000 attendance thing which is virtually meaningless anyway. You would think the administration championing such a project would be in the know on something like that.

(For proof look no further than WKU whose newly expanded stadium holds only 23,000).

Harker may be alluding to unofficial attendance required for certain conferences that schools like, oh say, former Yankee conference member Connecticut play in.

LehighFan11
December 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Congrats on the stadium plans. Looks like the facilities would be really great and make Udel athletics even better. Are they serious about a move to FBS? It sounds like they won't say anything official but some hints there raise the question. I would think the transition could work if they were serious and poured alot of money into it. I guess their situation is comparable to Uconn, but Delaware doesn't have a basketball program Uconn has to fund such a move.

henfan
December 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Congrats on the stadium plans. Looks like the facilities would be really great and make Udel athletics even better. Are they serious about a move to FBS? It sounds like they won't say anything official but some hints there raise the question.

No, the UD is not considering a move to a major conference. Not at all.

If they sink tens of millions into a new FB stadium down the line though, they want to have the capacity to build out should they need to. That's just responsible planning and shouldn't be taken as a sign of anything other than that.