PDA

View Full Version : In fairness to Hampton

Black and Gold Express
November 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Looking at the guestimated field options, upon an initial unresearched guess I have to say the only team I would pick Hampton over is Coastal.

But then I did some research, and used my favorite tool, Sagarin. Here are the potential playoff teams Sagarin has Hampton as a home favorite against, IF THE GAMES WERE PLAYED THIS WEEK. In order of closest games to biggest margin of favorite. Some at the top are eye-openers.

* - teams higher rated without homefield calc'ed in.

* Georgia Southern (even)
* Southern Illinois (-1)
* YSU (-1)
* Northern Iowa (-1)
* Montana State (-2)
Furman (-4)
Richmond (-4.5)
McNeese State (-6.5)
SC State (-7)
Coastal Carolina (-7)
Lehigh (-9)
Eastern Illinois (-10.5)
Jax State (-14)

GannonFan
November 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM
People keep underestimating Hampton - hey, I don't think they're good enough to win the national title, but they are going to be a seed and that means, assuming they win the first round, they are going to get two home games. In addition, they are a pretty decent team and, with the homefield advantage, will be a tough out regardless of who comes to play them. They also have recent playoff experience losing a game they should have won last year at W&M - I wouldn't be shocked seeing Hampton in the semis playing at UNH or Montana.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
People keep underestimating Hampton - hey, I don't think they're good enough to win the national title, but they are going to be a seed and that means, assuming they win the first round, they are going to get two home games. In addition, they are a pretty decent team and, with the homefield advantage, will be a tough out regardless of who comes to play them. They also have recent playoff experience losing a game they should have won last year at W&M - I wouldn't be shocked seeing Hampton in the semis playing at UNH or Montana.

Please stop referring to that as a game they should have won. They had their chances, and Mathis was pretty much unstoppable, but they were never in control of the game and got outgained by a substantial margin.

GannonFan
November 17th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Please stop referring to that as a game they should have won. They had their chances, and Mathis was pretty much unstoppable, but they were never in control of the game and got outgained by a substantial margin.

I call 'em like I see them - W&M came out flat (like they did in every playoff game last year), Hampton led at the half, they led the game in the 4th quarter, and the game was tied well into the 4th quarter. Both teams gained a lot of yards in that game, and Hampton had the advantage in turnovers, but couldn't make good on them, including an INT late in the game deep in W&M territory. I thought, and still think, W&M was fortunate to come out with a win in that game.

November 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I call 'em like I see them - W&M came out flat (like they did in every playoff game last year), Hampton led at the half, they led the game in the 4th quarter, and the game was tied well into the 4th quarter. Both teams gained a lot of yards in that game...Hampton led for about 10 seconds in the fourth before WM reeled off 21 straight points. WM had twice as many first downs and nearly twice as many yards.

putter
November 17th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Wow, Mathis accounted for 61.6% of Hampton's offense against W&M! That is about as close to a one man's show as it gets! He is a great player!! Glad to see him doing well in the NFL!

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM
W&M was fortunate to come out with a win in that game.
Absolutely. W&M was gifted that one. Second round should have been Hampton in Newark. :nod: :p

November 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Absolutely. W&M was gifted that one. Second round should have been Hampton in Newark. :nod: :pMaybe the Hens would have won then? :confused: :p :eek: ;) :spank:

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I call 'em like I see them - W&M came out flat (like they did in every playoff game last year), Hampton led at the half, they led the game in the 4th quarter, and the game was tied well into the 4th quarter. Both teams gained a lot of yards in that game, and Hampton had the advantage in turnovers, but couldn't make good on them, including an INT late in the game deep in W&M territory. I thought, and still think, W&M was fortunate to come out with a win in that game.

I'm not saying they didn't have a chance, but W&M was clearly the better team and it's tough to say Hampton "should have won" the game.

After the early 13-0 deficit, W&M outscored Hampton 42-15 before a TD with 30 seconds left, while putting up nearly 300 yards on the ground and nearly 300 yards in the air in addition to a 97 yard return for a TD. The W&M offense absolutely dominated the game. Mathis was the only reason Hampton even had a shot.

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Maybe the Hens would have won then?
Eggs-actly. Instead, the Hens got hosed by homer refs at W&M. :nod: :p

TigerFan17
November 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM
One more reason why I'm not sold on Sagarins. :nod:

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Maybe we should put San Diego in the playoffs and give them a seed (I wouldn't mind a road trip out there). Makes almost as much sense as putting so much faith in an untested Hampton squad. The Sagerin stuff is a joke.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Maybe we should put San Diego in the playoffs and give them a seed (I wouldn't mind a road trip out there). Makes almost as much sense as putting so much faith in an untested Hampton squad. The Sagerin stuff is a joke.

Where do you have Hampton ranked in your poll? I'm not sold on them either, but I was just curious.

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I'll be watching Hampton in the first round, and will be interested to see if they are a better team than last year. I've said a number of times in other threads that I question whether their air attack can keep them in a playoff game. Without Mathis last year, they had no passing game. I believe they will have trouble controlling a playoff game on the ground.

Their defense will have to be alot better than it was last year for them to get a win. The two games I saw on TV this year were not tests of their D.

Hamptongal
November 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I'll be watching Hampton in the first round, and will be interested to see if they are a better team than last year. I've said a number of times in other threads that I question whether their air attack can keep them in a playoff game. Without Mathis last year, they had no passing game. I believe they will have trouble controlling a playoff game on the ground.

Their defense will have to be alot better than it was last year for them to get a win. The two games I saw on TV this year were not tests of their D.
Man their D was hurtin for certain last year, especially in that game. I will be listening to Hampton in the first round and will be very disappointed if they don't play a more complete game than they did last year. Thankfully they are all healthy and I personally disagree and think it would better for them to control the game on the ground, to eat up the clock. The team you saw on TV will probably have a bit of a different look as far as the offense, no glaring differences, just some interesting adjustments.

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Maybe we should put San Diego in the playoffs and give them a seed (I wouldn't mind a road trip out there). Makes almost as much sense as putting so much faith in an untested Hampton squad.
Almost. :rolleyes: Too bad Harvard isn't eligible.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hampton wouldn't finish in the first division in the Ivy League.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Where do you have Hampton ranked in your poll? I'm not sold on them either, but I was just curious.
I think I had them 21st this week. And no, I didn't vote for San Diego.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I think I had them 21st this week. And no, I didn't vote for San Diego.

I think you're being a little hard on them, but I respect the strength of your convictions.

Your Hampton/Ivy League comment begs a question. Has an Ivy League team ever played a squad from the MEAC?

GSUISBACK
November 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Come on thats bs.

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Speculation.

blukeys
November 17th, 2005, 05:38 PM

When you actually see MEAC games first hand you see a huge difference between the MEAC and the front line I-AA conferences such as A-10, Southern etc. ...... I have taken in a DelState game at least once a year since the John Taylor days. I saw Hampton last year for a half and yes it was probably their worst game but Mathis last year was the only player on the field that I saw would have played on an A-10 team.

I do appreciate the fact that MEAC teams play hard despite horrible officiating. For all the whining you will hear about A-10 officials I will take them anytime over the MEAC crews. Check the UD - Lafayette 2004 tape for confirmation.

November 17th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Speculation.I thought that was educated opinion. :confused:

tsutiger
November 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM
When you actually see MEAC games first hand you see a huge difference between the MEAC and the front line I-AA conferences such as A-10, Southern etc. ...... I have taken in a DelState game at least once a year since the John Taylor days. I saw Hampton last year for a half and yes it was probably their worst game but Mathis last year was the only player on the field that I saw would have played on an A-10 team.

I do appreciate the fact that MEAC teams play hard despite horrible officiating. For all the whining you will hear about A-10 officials I will take them anytime over the MEAC crews. Check the UD - Lafayette 2004 tape for confirmation.

Man I agree the A-10 has been the best 1-AA conference over the last couple of years, but you guys act like it's the fudging Big 10. Last time I checked Towson was in the A-10. Towson only beat 2-9 Morgan by 3 points. Same Towson that beat Delaware. For you to say only Mathis was a A-10 player is total bullshat. I guess the 3 or 4 1A transfers couldn't have played in the A-10 either. SMH.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Speculation.
Just as much speculation on your part to think Hampton will win a playoff game.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Great post. You are right on the money about MEAC talent. Am I right that you mean Mathis as the only All-A-10-type player on Hampton?

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I think you're being a little hard on them, but I respect the strength of your convictions.

Your Hampton/Ivy League comment begs a question. Has an Ivy League team ever played a squad from the MEAC?
I can't remember there ever being such a matchup, though there could have been one at some point in time. Obviously, it hasn't happened in the I-AA playoffs.

pirateRIQ
November 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I saw Hampton last year for a half and yes it was probably their worst game but Mathis last year was the only player on the field that I saw would have played on an A-10 team.

Not sure about a big talent gap between the A-10 and MEAC schools. I attribute the success of the A-10 to better coaching, strength and conditioning programs and discipline.
The MEAC places a number of players of NFL rosters every year and its players are well represented in the All-Star games.

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Did I say they would? And even if that's so, it's not as wild as saying they wouldn't finish in the top half of the Ivy like it's a fact. :rolleyes: For a journalist you sure seem to confuse the opinion page with the sports page an awful lot. :nod:

Punchykky
November 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Not sure about a big talent gap between the A-10 and MEAC schools. I attribute the success of the A-10 to better coaching, strength and conditioning programs and discipline.
The MEAC places a number of players of NFL rosters every year and its players are well represented in the All-Star games.

And let the congregation say "AMEN!" :nod:

gram4life
November 17th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Great post. You are right on the money about MEAC talent. Am I right that you mean Mathis as the only All-A-10-type player on Hampton?

All this cheerleading, Wow. LOL

Punchykky
November 17th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Just out of curiosity,,,what school do you represent?

blukeys
November 17th, 2005, 09:06 PM

That day I did not see any Del State player who was there and by this I mean they would not start on a A-10, Socon team. Although it was a bad day I thought Hampton had better talent on both sides of the ball but they had mailed the game in and Del State was playing with emotional intensity. (Something I had not always seen in the past .)

I thought that Hampton had skill players who could start on some A-10 teams. When it comes to talent on the offensive and defensive front 7's the '04 Hampton team was nowhere near a top level A-10 team and from my past exposure not near a top level SoCon team.

Mathis was a Westbrook type player in that he could take it the distance any time he touched the ball. Mathis would have been All A-10, All So Con, all Gateway, .....etc.

I am going to shut up now as I have a grad class at DelState and my honest analysis has already gotten me in trouble on a MEAC campus. ;) ;)

blukeys
November 17th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Man I agree the A-10 has been the best 1-AA conference over the last couple of years, but you guys act like it's the fudging Big 10. Last time I checked Towson was in the A-10. Towson only beat 2-9 Morgan by 3 points. Same Towson that beat Delaware. For you to say only Mathis was a A-10 player is total bullshat. I guess the 3 or 4 1A transfers couldn't have played in the A-10 either. SMH.

Towson gave up 8 turnovers and still beat Morgan State. When was the last time your team gave up 8 turnovers and won? You have to be playing a very weak team to do that and that is what Morgan State is. Investigate and check out your facts besides just looking at comparative scores and you might learn something. I know I have seen Morgan State more in the last 21 years than you have. As I know I have seen more MEAC games and A-10 games in person than you have. I saw the '04 Hampton team in person. Where were YOU?

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Man their D was hurtin for certain last year, especially in that game. I will be listening to Hampton in the first round and will be very disappointed if they don't play a more complete game than they did last year. Thankfully they are all healthy and I personally disagree and think it would better for them to control the game on the ground, to eat up the clock. The team you saw on TV will probably have a bit of a different look as far as the offense, no glaring differences, just some interesting adjustments.

I wasn't saying they shouldn't try to control the game on the ground. I think they will have difficulty controlling a playoff game on the ground. Against the Tribe last year, that was part of their undoing. When they got a lead, they couldn't run the ball effectively.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Just out of curiosity,,,what school do you represent?
My alma mater has a big game with USC this Saturday. Better not say anything more about BCS stuff.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Did I say they would? And even if that's so, it's not as wild as saying they wouldn't finish in the top half of the Ivy like it's a fact. :rolleyes: For a journalist you sure seem to confuse the opinion page with the sports page an awful lot. :nod:
Last time I checked this was an area where opinions were allowed. Am I not allowed to have an opinion? Is your name Joseph McCarthy?

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Last time I checked this was an area where opinions were allowed. Am I not allowed to have an opinion? Is your name Joseph McCarthy?
Opine on MrC. I just think you often present your opinion in a way to try to belittle other opinions... ie. "Have you seen them play in person this year?", but maybe its just me. Your isht stinks just as much as anybody else's here, including mine. :nod: It will be fun to see how it all pans out. :beerchug:

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Opine on MrC. I just think you often present your opinion in a way to try to belittle other opinions... ie. "Have you seen them play in person this year?", but maybe its just me. Your isht stinks just as much as anybody else's here, including mine. :nod: It will be fun to see how it all pans out. :beerchug:
You have a lot of room to talk about that. You have been taking shots at me all year long. I am not trying to belittle anyone.

Tod
November 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM

I have to disagree. I think Hampton would win the Ivy League this year. They would not be undefeated, but I think they have the talent to win it.

By the way (and this is a serious question), what does first division mean? I'm not familiar with the term. If you just mean in the top half, I apologize, I'm not being disrespectful here, Mr. C. I'm wondering if it's either a term I'm not familiar with or an Ivy League thing.

blukeys
November 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I have to disagree. I think Hampton would win the Ivy League this year. They would not be undefeated, but I think they have the talent to win it.

By the way (and this is a serious question), what does first division mean? I'm not familiar with the term. If you just mean in the top half, I apologize, I'm not being disrespectful here, Mr. C. I'm wondering if it's either a term I'm not familiar with or an Ivy League thing.

I think it means the top 4 teams. There is a big difference in the Ivy League from top to bottom.

In the last 5 years the traditional powers have been Penn, Harvard, and Princeton/Brown/Yale. The bottom feeders in the Ivy especially Colombia are terrible and not worthy of a d-2 schedule.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 10:03 PM

It means finishing in the top half of your league. It's not an Ivy League term. Probably originally was a soccer term. Guess your just not familiar with it. No disrespect taken.

The Ivy is just a very deep league this season (though most people on this board won't realize that). Brown is very good and should win the Ivy title outright on Saturday. Harvard (getting back from injuries that ruined its season) is good, as are Princeton, Penn, Yale and Cornell.

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
You have a lot of room to talk about that. You have been taking shots at me all year long. I am not trying to belittle anyone.
I have been, but IMO they've been warrented. You've slammed Hampton since the day they entered the polls. Even went as far to show your blatant dislike of Hampton when you said Liberty should have gotten a bid over Hampton in 1997 because they were the better team. Even presented with the fact that Hampton had beaten Liberty straight up that very year. You seem to like the speculation business, like saying that Harvard would have most likely been a quarter or semifinalist last year or that Hampton would finish in the bottom half of the Ivy this year.

When questioned, you usually have a response ready that tries to belittle the other person. Something like... "I think I do know something about analyzing talent after nearly 30 years working professionally around college athletics"

What would be so awful if Hampton were in my top 5 in my ballot or if I thought they actually deserved a seed? Would I be proven wrong if they lost? Sure, but most people have had some crazy teams in their top 5... even top 1 this year. Hampton is in the playoffs. We will be able to judge them based on what they do there. Lots of people had SIU as their #1 team last year and McNeese the year before, neither made it out of the first round. Once the playoffs start, none of the polls, rankings, seedings matter... it's win or go home. Lose and be judged. We can keep going on with this, but I'm ready for a truce and for the playoffs. :nod: xprost2x

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Get your facts straight. Yes I did say Liberty deserved to be in the 1997 playoff field (did you happen to see Liberty play that year?). No I DID NOT say the Flames should have been put in ahead of Hampton. I did note that, with a MEAC rep as the committee chairman, that teams from the MEAC and SWAC were over-represented in the playoffs that year. My simple statement on Hampton all year long is that they haven't played the type of schedule to evaluate if they are a top team, or one deserving a seed and you have castigated me for that opinion constantly both in numerous threads and in private messages. Yes we have a difference in opinion on Hampton. Keep it at that and quit the personal attacks.

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 01:22 AM
I wasn't saying they shouldn't try to control the game on the ground. I think they will have difficulty controlling a playoff game on the ground. Against the Tribe last year, that was part of their undoing. When they got a lead, they couldn't run the ball effectively.
Oh, I agree that their running game last year during the playoffs was not up to par. If their running game during the W&M game is the same as it is against whomever they play in the first round this year than they will lose. There is no way the can run a combined less than 100 yards and win unless the defense scores.

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 01:27 AM
I am not saying the way he is handing this is right Mr C. But, you do have subtle way of making people feel that their opinion is not up to par if it doesn't mesh with yours. The quotes that he uses are just a sampling of the things I have seen you say, but you seem to get just as irritated when anybody makes fun of an opinion that you have (harvard #1). Everybody takes their shots and gives them. Maybe if you didn't take them to heart he wouldn't keep at it. I think most posters have somebody who has another poster that argues with pretty much everything they say, constantly.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2005, 02:17 AM
With everyone hanging on the jockstrap of Mathis, you'd think that Hampton was 0-10 right now. Go Harvard.

Menudo
November 18th, 2005, 03:38 AM
I can't remember there ever being such a matchup, though there could have been one at some point in time. Obviously, it hasn't happened in the I-AA playoffs.

I guess we will have to wait til 2007

Football Announces Upcoming Series With Hampton, The Citadel
Tigers will begin home-and-home meetings with new opponents during 2007 season.

Feb. 8, 2005

PRINCETON - The Princeton University football team, which played its first game on the West Coast in 2004, has added two more non-traditional opponents to its upcoming schedules. Director of Athletics Gary Walters announced Tuesday, Feb. 8, that the Tigers will play a home-and-home series with both the Citadel and Hampton in the near future.

The first of these games will be played on Oct. 6, 2007, when the Hampton Pirates will travel to Princeton Stadium for a contest against the Tigers. Princeton will make the trip down to Hampton, Va., in 2011 on a date to be determined later.

Hampton, a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, reached the 2004 NCAA tournament on the strength of a 10-1 overall record and a 6-1 record in the MEAC. The Pirates lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament when they fell 42-35 to No. 3 William & Mary.

"It gives me great pleasure to announce that we have reached an agreement to play Hampton in football," Walters said. "This will be the first time that Princeton has ever met a member of the MEAC on the gridiron."

Only one other Ivy League team has ever faced a member of the MEAC in football. Yale defeated Morgan State 41-0 in 1984 at the Yale Bowl.

Prior to making the trip south to Hampton, the Tigers will make an even further trip to Charleston, S.C., to play the Citadel.

"We are absolutely delighted we've been able to reach an agreement to play each other in football," Walters said. "As everyone knows, the Citadel is a great academic and military institution with a storied history. Our competition represents a great opportunity for alumni in the southeastern part of the U.S. to see Princeton up close and personal."

Princeton will travel to the Citadel in 2008, and will welcome the Bulldogs to Princeton Stadium for a contest in 2009.

"We are excited about playing football against one of the premier academic institutions in America," Citadel Director of Athletics Les Robinson said. "Princeton and its athletic programs epitomize what the NCAA is all about, competition with the highest academic standards. The ability to play such a great school in a home and away series gives our alumni in the mid-Atlantic and the Northeast a wonderful opportunity to come out and support our football program."

Princeton is one of several non-traditional opponents for the Citadel in upcoming years. Beginning in 2005, the Bulldogs will face such national powerhouses as Florida State (2005), Ole Miss (2005), Texas A&M (2006) and North Carolina State (2007).

Both Hampton and the Citadel will replace Lafayette on the future schedules. The Tigers replaced the Lehigh game in 2004 with a road contest at San Diego. A pair of back-to-back defensive touchdowns by defensive lineman James Williams and cornerback Jay McCareins highlighted a 24-17 victory over the University of San Diego Toreros in Princeton's first game ever in California.

The University of San Diego will return the game in 2005, as head coach Jim Harbaugh will bring the Toreros to Princeton Stadium for the Tigers' home opener on 24. The game time has not been determined.

Princeton went 5-5 in 2004 and will return 17 starters, including eight 2004 All-Ivy selections. The spring session for Princeton will begin Monday, April 4, and will conclude with the Spring Game on Saturday, April 23, at 3 p.m.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Get your facts straight. Yes I did say Liberty deserved to be in the 1997 playoff field (did you happen to see Liberty play that year?). No I DID NOT say the Flames should have been put in ahead of Hampton.
"Teams I would have left out: How about Hampton and Jackson State? Everyone was shocked that year that the committee (which was chaired by a MEAC guy, I believe Dennis Thomas) picked TWO MEAC teams newby to I-AA Hampton and another school from the SWAC (Jackson State is 0-12 in its playoff history, if I remeber right). Liberty was better than either of those teams."

BTW, like how you stuck "did you happen to see Liberty play that year?" in there. Was that for my benefit? :p

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 08:21 AM
I am not saying the way he is handing this is right Mr C. But, you do have subtle way of making people feel that their opinion is not up to par if it doesn't mesh with yours. The quotes that he uses are just a sampling of the things I have seen you say, but you seem to get just as irritated when anybody makes fun of an opinion that you have (harvard #1). Everybody takes their shots and gives them. Maybe if you didn't take them to heart he wouldn't keep at it. I think most posters have somebody who has another poster that argues with pretty much everything they say, constantly.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ain't that the truth...I talk some smack to some people (all in good fun ;) )...then my team loses....then I shut up and give my kudos. It's when people continue to talk smack AFTER their team loses that bugs the poo out of me.

I like that the Hampton talk has taken a bit mellower approach over the past week or so...GO HAMPTON! I hope you win your first round game next weekend...

Pantherpower
November 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM
"Maybe we should put San Diego in the playoffs and give them a seed (I wouldn't mind a road trip out there). Makes almost as much sense as putting so much faith in an untested Hampton squad. The Sagerin stuff is a joke."

Agreed, C-Man. Oh well, looks like Hampton will be the sacrificial lamb offering from the MEAC this year. Just laughable that they will have a seed. Really hoping that whoever their matched up against buries them. I'm serious. I'm normally not a proponent of running up the score, but in this case, no mercy. Hopefully, although doubtful, then the selection committee would never make the mistake of awarding a seed to an undeserving team from a conference who hasn't posted a playoff win since........ :rolleyes:

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 08:47 AM
then the selection committee would never make the mistake of awarding a seed to an undeserving team from a conference who hasn't posted a playoff win since........
Yeah, better they give the #1 seed to a proven team like SIU or McNeese, that way we know they'll go far in the playoffs. :p

Pantherpower
November 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Have teams from the Gateway won playoff games? How about the Southland? Help me out, b/c I'm struggling with this, didn't WKU win the title in '02? Aw hell, forget all that. Tell me the LAST FREAKING TIME THAT A MEAC TEAM WON A SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME!!!!!!!! Georgia Southern was seeded last year as well and bowed out in the first round. Did they deserve a seed?? Hell yes they did and there's 6 flags flying over Paulson to prove it!! To me the MEAC hasn't deserved the right to even be mentioned for consideration for a seed. I need to breathe now :D

NYSigma
November 18th, 2005, 09:09 AM
You guys keep referring to previous records in the playoffs....well if thats the case just go ahead and award JMU the title (since they won last year). I mean what the hell does a previous season have to do with this one?? Yes maybe a teams strength of schedule is stronger but how in the Hell are you not going to give a team (that's climbed up in the polls week after week) that is UNDEFEATED a seed?? Come on now stop hating....Maybe not a #1 seed but at least a #2, or #3 seed.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I need to breathe now :D
Please do, I got winded reading that! :p My point was that NO team can be awarded a seed with a guarantee that they will perform with that seed. It wasn't to say that the Gateway or Southland were weak conferences, quite the contrary. SIU and McNeese were just about unanimous #1's at the end of those seasons, including in my book. Castigating a team by how it's conference has performed in the playoffs really isn't fair. Hampton performed pretty well last year and had a better regular season this year. SIU performed like absolute dog **** in the 2003 opening round (in my best Mr.C impression... 'I was there, did you see them?'), had another solid regular season in 2004 and were awarded the #1 seed, and lost again in the first round. Colgate received a seed in '03 with four Ivy's and Buffalo OOC and I'm sure lots of people were questioning that one, but we all know how that turned out.

Punchykky
November 18th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Have teams from the Gateway won playoff games? How about the Southland? Help me out, b/c I'm struggling with this, didn't WKU win the title in '02? Aw hell, forget all that. Tell me the LAST FREAKING TIME THAT A MEAC TEAM WON A SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME!!!!!!!! Georgia Southern was seeded last year as well and bowed out in the first round. Did they deserve a seed?? Hell yes they did and there's 6 flags flying over Paulson to prove it!! To me the MEAC hasn't deserved the right to even be mentioned for consideration for a seed. I need to breathe now :D

1999 NCA&T 24 TSU 10
Youngstown St 41 NCA&T 3

1999 FAMU 44 App. State 29
FAMU 17 Troy 10
Youngstown St. 27 FAMU 24

1998 FAMU 27 Troy 17
WIU 24 FAMU 21

I hope you can breathe better! :nod:

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 11:44 AM
"Maybe we should put San Diego in the playoffs and give them a seed (I wouldn't mind a road trip out there). Makes almost as much sense as putting so much faith in an untested Hampton squad. The Sagerin stuff is a joke."

Agreed, C-Man. Oh well, looks like Hampton will be the sacrificial lamb offering from the MEAC this year. Just laughable that they will have a seed. Really hoping that whoever their matched up against buries them. I'm serious. I'm normally not a proponent of running up the score, but in this case, no mercy. Hopefully, although doubtful, then the selection committee would never make the mistake of awarding a seed to an undeserving team from a conference who hasn't posted a playoff win since........ :rolleyes:
Quick question. Why do you hope that whoever they match up against buries them? To prove the dominance of all the other conferences over the MEAC? Why begrudge Hampton their schedule or their record. It has nothing to do with you so for you to wish anything but a great game is laughable and extremely irritating. I hope that if they get a seed, it is proved they deserve a seed and that there is a level playing field in I-AA. I will be the first to admit that the MEAC needs to get better as a whole and that hopefully we can get some good OOC games going at Hampton but that crap about running up the score against Hampton is just so uncalled for it isn't even funny.

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
This team isn't any other team. Get off the history crap. You seem to have a real issue with Hampton, if you are so concerned about them maybe you should bug the crap out of your AD until they put them on your schedule so you can yearly prove your dominance over them. Until then what are you basing your knowledge off of? Please let me know so it doesn't seem like everything you are writing is just hot air.

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ain't that the truth...I talk some smack to some people (all in good fun ;) )...then my team loses....then I shut up and give my kudos. It's when people continue to talk smack AFTER their team loses that bugs the poo out of me.

I like that the Hampton talk has taken a bit mellower approach over the past week or so...GO HAMPTON! I hope you win your first round game next weekend...
Just a woman's gentle touch. I can argue my point but I have a realistic view and as big of a fan as I am I do agree with certain points:
1. Hampton is generally untested
2. Hampton needs to make sure their offense is balanced
3. People may be of the opinion that Hampton doesn't deserve a seed based on the lack of excellence in MEAC
4. No matter what Hampton is undefeated, tough for anybody to do, after all this is any given saturday

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM
This team isn't any other team. Get off the history crap. You seem to have a real issue with Hampton, if you are so concerned about them maybe you should bug the crap out of your AD until they put them on your schedule so you can yearly prove your dominance over them. Until then what are you basing your knowledge off of? Please let me know so it doesn't seem like everything you are writing is just hot air.

Year in and year out, the MEAC sends teams to the playoffs. Some of them with real good W-L records. And what happens to those teams? Since 1999, they've lost every game they played.

Perhaps Hampton really is a good team this time. I have not seen them myself. But your conference's best team has traditionally been one and done for so long, that you must accept that MEAC teams are going to have to prove they are different for a while until people will see them in a different light as more competitve teams.

Think of it this way, at least you get to prove this team is different.

Fact: Hampton will be 11-0 barring a terrible loss this weekend. And that is impressive.
Fact: That 11-0 record will be compiled against one of the weakest schedules in I-AA.

You can't choose to ignore the other half of that story. ANY team that played that schedule, even a team with a lot of recent history and respect, would be questioned on it. I guarantee you that.

Hampton will get a seed it seems. Probably a 3-4 seed. That means 2 home games. Should Hampton perform well and POST SOME WINS, then you'll have done something to change perception.

Go one and done though, on your home field to boot, and rest assured that nobody will ever take the MEAC seriously again for a long while.

It's in your hands.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Fact: That 11-0 record will be compiled against one of the weakest schedules in I-AA.
What other 11-0 team had a tougher schedule? :p

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Year in and year out, the MEAC sends teams to the playoffs. Some of them with real good W-L records. And what happens to those teams? Since 1999, they've lost every game they played.

Perhaps Hampton really is a good team this time. I have not seen them myself. But your conference's best team has traditionally been one and done for so long, that you must accept that MEAC teams are going to have to prove they are different for a while until people will see them in a different light as more competitve teams.

Think of it this way, at least you get to prove this team is different.

Fact: Hampton will be 11-0 barring a terrible loss this weekend. And that is impressive.

You can't choose to ignore the other half of that story. ANY team that played that schedule, even a team with a lot of recent history and respect, would be questioned on it. I guarantee you that.

Hampton will get a seed it seems. Probably a 3-4 seed. That means 2 home games. Should Hampton perform well and POST SOME WINS, then you'll have done something to change perception.

Go one and done though, on your home field to boot, and rest assured that nobody will ever take the MEAC seriously again for a long while.

It's in your hands.
I completely 100% agree with what you said but you chose to look at both sides of the story instead of talking about how you hope hope hope that Hampton gets their arses beaten so badly in the first game, blah blah blah. Hampton will get a tougher OOC schedule, Joe Taylor is the AD now. I pray they win two games so I can come home and watch them win the next game. YAY!!!

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Funny. Southern Illinois has been pretty highly ranked this year after being one and done two years in a row, the second one on their home field to boot... can you say double standard?

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Funny. Southern Illinois has been pretty highly ranked this year after being one and done two years in a row, the second one on their home field to boot... can you say double standard?
Who takes SIU seriously? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM

No, it's not because the issue in question is that Hampton is suffering from the MEAC's lack of success. The Gateway has no such issues.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Everyone takes shots and gets hit, this is just an online discussion community. Don't get to rilled up, it's no worth it. Peace to all HUMANITY!!!!!!

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM
No, it's not because the issue in question is that Hampton is suffering from the MEAC's lack of success. The Gateway has no such issues.
So you're saying that SIU is living off the coattails of the Gateway and have no merit on their own.

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Everyone takes shots and gets hit, this is just an online discussion community. Don't get to rilled up, it's no worth it. Peace to all HUMANITY!!!!!!
Am I confused, was that aimed at me or supporting me cuz I heard an echo. "Everybody takes shots." :D

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM
So you're saying that SIU is living off the coattails of the Gateway and have no merit on their own.

What he's saying is that since Southern Illinois continues to have success in a conference as credible as the Gateway, they continue to get respect as a program.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 01:47 PM
The Citadel and Princeton!!?? Damn I'll go see that game.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 02:19 PM
What he's saying is that since Southern Illinois continues to have success in a conference as credible as the Gateway, they continue to get respect as a program.
I know what he was getting at, but it still has nothing to do with anything. Have all the success you want in a conference, come playoff time it's SIU vs. UD and EWU... not the Gateway.

Hampton has been to the playoffs three times:
- 1997 (10-1) they were sent to the Ice Castle to meet the eventual NC in YSU. Lost 28-13

- 1998 (9-2) they were sent to UConn to face a 9-2 team that beat eventual NC UMass twice during the regular season. Lost 42-34

- 2004 (10-1) they were sent to A10 co-champ W&M. Lost 42-35.

Let me give you another fun one...

In 2001 Eastern Illinois (9-1) was given the #4 seed (which they lost first round), yet they had lost their three previous trips to the playoffs (1995, 96, 2000) and the OVC hadn't won a playoff game since 1996 (a very similar margin that MEAC now has). In addition, their OOC wins were to 3-8 Indiana State, 1-10 SIU and 4-6 FAU who was in their first year of having football. Now comes the real fun... guess where EIU was ranked the following year in the preseason polls (and remember, they beat really nobody of consequence OOC, their conference hadn't won a playoff game in 5 years, they themselves hadn't won in two consectutive trips with the last one being at home to boot)...

Coaches Poll #4 (with a first place vote)
Sports Network #4 (with a first place vote)
Athlon #4
Street & Smith #5
Lindy's #6

DOUBLE STANDARD AGAIN. I rest my case your honor.

bandl
November 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I know what he was getting at, but it still has nothing to do with anything. Have all the success you want in a conference, come playoff time it's SIU vs. UD and EWU... not the Gateway.

- 1997 (10-1) they were sent to the Ice Castle to meet the eventual NC in YSU. Lost 28-13

- 1998 (9-2) they were sent to UConn to face a 9-2 team that beat eventual NC UMass twice during the regular season. Lost 42-34

In 2001 Eastern Illinois (9-1) was given the #4 seed (which they lost first round), yet they had lost their three previous trips to the playoffs (1995, 96, 2000) and the OVC hadn't won a playoff game since 1996 (a very similar margin that MEAC now has). In addition, their OOC wins were to 3-8 Indiana State, 1-10 SIU and 4-6 FAU who was in their first year of having football. Now comes the real fun... guess where EIU was ranked the following year in the preseason polls (and remember, they beat really nobody of consequence OOC, their conference hadn't won a playoff game in 5 years, they themselves hadn't won in two consectutive trips with the last one being at home to boot)...

Athlon #4
Street & Smith #5
Lindy's #6

Damn....dat boy good! I say...he real good!!!

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Athlon #4
Street & Smith #5
Lindy's #6

that was a fun read!!!! :D

putter
November 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Come on '89,

Stop letting facts get in the way of a good argument!! ;)

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Am I confused, was that aimed at me or supporting me cuz I heard an echo. "Everybody takes shots." :D

Neither. Just a statement.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Athlon #4
Street & Smith #5
Lindy's #6

I don't think it's a double-standard at all. Southern Illinois has proven themselves to be a very good team by winning the Gateway in 2003 and 2004. This earned them credibility. You don't completely lose that credibility by getting beat on the road by the national champions in '03 and then losing a heartbreaker at home to an extremely dangerous EWU team last year.

Because of the weakness of the MEAC, Hampton is not able to gain similar credibility by winning its conference, so its quest for respect largely rests on success in the playoffs. That is why they are treated differently. Let's not forget, though, that Hampton was ranked in the Top 20 at the beginning of this season.

With regard to EIU, the OVC still had decent credibility at that point. Compare that to now, when it takes almost until the end of the season for the conference leader to sneak into the Top 25.

Hamptongal
November 18th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Neither. Just a statement.
I just heard an echo...that's all.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM
With regard to EIU, the OVC still had decent credibility at that point.
:confused: They (the OVC) hadn't won a playoff game in 5 years at that point and hadn't produced a semifinalist in 11.

tsutiger
November 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Towson gave up 8 turnovers and still beat Morgan State. When was the last time your team gave up 8 turnovers and won? You have to be playing a very weak team to do that and that is what Morgan State is. Investigate and check out your facts besides just looking at comparative scores and you might learn something. I know I have seen Morgan State more in the last 21 years than you have. As I know I have seen more MEAC games and A-10 games in person than you have. I saw the '04 Hampton team in person. Where were YOU?

Give a fool enough rope and he'll hang himself.

U don't know me from Adam, but you KNOW you've seen more MEAC games in person then I have. LOL

"I saw the '04 Hampton team in person. Where were YOU?" I guess that's like saying I'm not a racist because I have a black friend. Once again. MEAC teams have pleanty of athletes that not only play but would start on A-10 teams. You act like W&M and Hampton are not competing for the same athletes. As if W&M competes with UVA and Hampton competes with DII's. Please tell me that RB's Coleman or Daniels can't start for most in not all A-10 schools.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM
:confused: They (the OVC) hadn't won a playoff game in 5 years at that point and hadn't produced a semifinalist in 11.

Maybe so, but the conference was still legitimate in the eyes of the committee and many others. In 2002, the OVC got 2 teams into the field of 16.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Maybe so, but the conference was still legitimate in the eyes of the committee and many others. In 2002, the OVC got 2 teams into the field of 16.
And both got absolutely smoked in the first round. Doesn't disprove the double standard around here, only exacerbates it.

November 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Give a fool enough rope and he'll hang himself...Uh, tsutiger your team plays in the OVC.

Pantherpower
November 18th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I had business to attend to and couldn't rejoin this thread until just now. I would have the same issues with an OVC program getting a seed as I would a MEAC program b/c both of your conferences are flat weak and haven't proven anything in the playoffs in recent history. The OVC and MEAC conferences compared to the A-10, SoCon, Big Sky, Southland, or Gateway conferences are what the MAC and Sunbelt conferences would be when comparing them to the Big 10, Big XII, Southeast, ACC, etc.

The cart is way in front of the horse on this issue. Start winning some damn games in the playoffs and prove you belong, then the seeds would be more appropriate. Until then, a seed is most decidedly undeserved. You have your opinions and I have mine and I'm sure we end up agreeing to disagree. I done with this particular thread. I've said my piece.

tsutiger
November 18th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Uh, tsutiger your team plays in the OVC.

And that means what Ralph? His team plays in the A-10? Yet, he told me he KNOWS he's seen more MEAC games than I. He doesn't know if tsu is my undergrad or grad school. He doesn't know what school my parents attended. He doesn't know if I grew up right across the street from a MEAC school, yet he KNOWS these things. I read this board daily but only have 24 post, what does he know about me?

Once again his statement that the only player from Hampton's 04 squad that could play on a A-10 team is Mathis is bullshat. U know it and I know it. If you do agree with him you don't know football. Please tell me Daniels or Coleman couldn't play in the A-10.

I KNOW one thing. If he believes that he doesn't know football, or at least 1AA football. 1A transfers come in and take starting positions from 2,3, and 4 year players in the A-10 just like they do at other 1AA programs. Don't feed me bullshat and call it lobster and expect me to believe it.

R.A.
November 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Please tell me that RB's Coleman or Daniels can't start for most in not all A-10 schools.

-Daniels could start on the I-A level... becasue he started as a freshman for Army. His coming out game was Army's 26-17 nictory over Navy, the last time Army has beaten Navy. He had over 130 yard rushing that game. HamptonGal should be able to better inform you on Ardell Daniels... and it's funny though because even though Daniels was actually a frshman phoneme in the I-A level... Coleman is more of the star running back on the I-AA level.

November 18th, 2005, 08:39 PM
And that means what Ralph?...No no. I wasn't talking about what he said but you defending another conference and team while your conference is being mudraked.

tsutiger
November 18th, 2005, 08:57 PM
No no. I wasn't talking about what he said but you defending another conference and team while your conference is being mudraked.

He made a stupid comment and I called him out on it. If Eastern Ill, JSU, TSU or any other OVC team was 10-0 and somebody said only one player on their team was good enough to play in the A-10 I'd call their ash out too. But if you want to say the OVC sucks. Fine with me. It does and hasn't had a real dominate team since 99. I will forever hate Western Ky. :bang:

November 18th, 2005, 09:02 PM
... if you want to say the OVC sucks. Fine with me. It does and hasn't had a real dominate team since 99...Are you talking about the TSU team that got bounced the first round of the playoffs? Not a lot of difference between that and teams since except EIU had a Payton winner...

tsutiger
November 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Are you talking about the TSU team that got bounced the first round of the playoffs? Not a lot of difference between that and teams since except EIU had a Payton winner...

I disagree with you.

The big difference between that 99 TSU team and 01 & 02 Eastern Ill. teams was the O-Line. They say games are won in the trenches. 4 of 5 Offensive lineman from that team started at least 1 game in the NFL. Just my opinion. I know injuries are part of the game, but...... :bang: Look how we handled FAMU, and look how far FAMU got in the playoffs. And we wouldn't have been sent to North Ohio. We would have had home field through out.