dwtime
November 17th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
UNH sheds some light on gun incident
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dl...60117/-1/NEWS11
By AL PIKE
Staff Sports Writer
[email protected]

DURHAM — In the aftermath of an altercation that occurred Sunday morning involving at least two of his players, University of New Hampshire football coach Sean McDonnell said Wednesday morning he is conducting an internal investigation.

Because no football players have been charged or arrested, McDonnell also said that no disciplinary action has been taken so far with regard to the players, who he identified as senior cornerback Etienne Boulay of Montreal and junior safety Muji Karim of Burlington, Vt.

The incident, which Foster's reported Tuesday, involved a man pulling a gun in an off-campus house several players are renting on 23 Main St. near the Madbury Road intersection.

Durham police say they are looking for a white man or light-skinned black man in his 20s with a black coat.

The university is cooperating with the Durham Police Department as they conduct the investigation, spokesperson Kim Billings said. She noted the alleged assailant is not believed to be a UNH student.

Although McDonnell imposes a curfew on Thursday night (10:30 p.m.) and Friday (10 p.m.), there is no specific curfew on Saturday night after games.

"I'm still trying to make sense of what happened," McDonnell said. "I don't totally know the whole story. It's our understanding that the police were called but none of guys were arrested and nothing they did caused them to be in trouble. It's a very scary incident and we're just trying to figure out how everything went down."

"There's nothing we're hiding on this," UNH athletic director Marty Scarano said. "Sean got a call Sunday and he spoke to one of the kids who was there. Apparently the football guys had a party. It was a closed football gathering. For lack of a better term these interlopers showed up at the house party. They weren't invited. The folks were males and they were not UNH students. From what I understand two of them were from Rochester. I heard there were four or five (altogether). One of them came into the kitchen and gave one of the players a hard time and insulted his girlfriend. These guys were stoned or drunk. They were out of control.

"The football players asked them to leave and when they didn't they were essentially pushed out of the house," Scarano continued. "I think there was some scuffling involved. That's when one of them brought out a gun and waved it in the street, and said something to the effect that 'this is how people get shot.' The football players then called the police. No one was arrested. I was told the football players did the right thing. It was not a situation where they were going to take matters into their own hands and beat the hell out of those guys and leave them in the street."...

Eaglegus2
November 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
This incident could have turned into something ugly had the person with the gun had started shooting. I am glad that no one got hurt.

The football players sounded like they handled the situation maturely.

Fordham
November 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
if i didn't read the whole article I would have thought that UNH players had done something wrong or questionable simply from the thread title.

ChickenMan
November 17th, 2005, 09:07 AM
if i didn't read the whole article I would have thought that UNH players had done something wrong or questionable simply from the thread title.

agreed... a very misleading title.

dwtime
November 17th, 2005, 09:14 AM
agreed... a very misleading title.

What title would you give it?

here is the article link: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051116/NEWS1102/111160117/-1/NEWS11

ChickenMan
November 17th, 2005, 09:23 AM
What title would you give it?

here is the article link: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051116/NEWS1102/111160117/-1/NEWS11

How about... "Intruders threaten UNH players"

dwtime
November 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
How about... "Intruders threaten UNH players"

I like it, good choice.

TigerFan17
November 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
30 bucks says it was umassfan.

colgate13
November 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM
UNH? Guns? That's the side story. The real story in this one is that the football players were from Vermont! AND MONTREAL! And this is the #1 team in the land??!?!??!?:eek::p

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM
When they say "one of them pulled out a gun", was it the interlopers, or a player? It's not clear from the piece.

"The football players asked them to leave and when they didn't they were essentially pushed out of the house," Scarano continued. "I think there was some scuffling involved. That's when one of them brought out a gun and waved it in the street, and said something to the effect that 'this is how people get shot.' The football players then called the police.

Whatever the situation, the gun-holder may have broken the law by possessing an unregistered gun - of course, I don't know the state laws for guns up in Durham.

If the gun-holder was the interlopers, then yeah, the players all did the right thing.

rcny46
November 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM
UNH? Guns? That's the side story. The real story in this one is that the football players were from Vermont! AND MONTREAL! And this is the #1 team in the land??!?!??!?:eek::p

UNH always seems to have a player or two from Canada.There are at least a couple of players from Vermont,including David Ball,and the best defensive lineman on last year's team(graduated).They currently have a DE from Sweden,who played club football in Europe before being recruited.