PDA

View Full Version : Could Rodney Landers be one of the top 5 running backs taken in the draft

WOCO
December 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
He has increadible power, speed and quickness for someone his size. I can think of a few starting running backs in the leage that don't have his athletic skill set. Discuss

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM
He has increadible power, speed and quickness for someone his size. I can think of a few starting running backs in the leage that don't have his athletic skill set. Discuss

I think if he's got any NFL future it's as a RB, but he probably won't be drafted. If I had to guess, he'll go to the CFL.

Eight Legger
December 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
He's not fast enough to be drafted as a RB in the NFL, certainly not among the top 5 RBs. His future is as a FB, and FBs don't get drafted very high. I think he will make an NFL squad though.

WOCO
December 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I think if he's got any NFL future it's as a RB, but he probably won't be drafted. If I had to guess, he'll go to the CFL.

I think it will come down to his 40 time at the combine. If he can get a high 4.4 I honestly believe he will be taken in the top 2 rounds.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
He might get drafted on day 2. He might be a 4.5 handheld, but I believe his electronic 40 time is 4.64, not as fast as a lot of people think. After training for the combine he'll probably run somewhere in the 4.5s. I see him maybe getting drafted on day 2.

So to answer your question, no he won't be drafted in the top 5 RBs. If he is drafted as a RB, it won't be in the top 10, or maybe top 15. As someone said though, he is more likely a FB. Or could maybe be converted to LB. Right now he's listed at 6'2", 220. Will probably fill out to around 230, so who knows.

blitz4
December 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM
He doesn't have the lateral vision and speed to play in the nfl. He bulldozes college defenders. NFL would eat him up.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
"Project". That seems to point to CFL, or free-agent pick. Having said that, I think an NFL team will absolutely take a chance on him. Probably a smart NFL team, like the Patriots.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
He doesn't have the lateral vision and speed to play in the nfl. He bulldozes college defenders. NFL would eat him up.

What makes you think he doesn't have the lateral vision or the speed to play fullback in the NFL? How much "lateral vision does a straight ahead running and blocking fullback need? I can see your point on RB speed, but he has the speed to play FB or LB.

JMU Newbill
December 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
He's not fast enough to be drafted as a RB in the NFL, certainly not among the top 5 RBs. His future is as a FB, and FBs don't get drafted very high. I think he will make an NFL squad though.

FB's have to block. I don't think Rodney has a very good scout tape related to his blocking... check that... there probably isn't one at all.

I love him to death.... but we won't be seeing him in the NFL right away.... if at all.

ur2k
December 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
To answer the question - No.

But I think he'll get drafted in the late rounds or picked up as a free agent. He's a good enough football player to get picked up by a team as a project and be developed into something other than a QB.

ur2k
December 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
FB's have to block. I don't think Rodney has a very good scout tape related to his blocking... check that... there probably isn't one at all.

I love him to death.... but we won't be seeing him in the NFL right away.... if at all.

There wasn't for Stacy Tutt either but he was picked up by the Jets as a FB and to play on special teams. I see them as similar players.

SeattleGriz
December 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I think Montana's Justin Greene got drafted as a FB in either the 5th or 6th rounds. While not super high, I would be pretty thrilled to go in either of those rounds. I think it depends on how many decent FB's are available.

19Duke97
December 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah as much as I love Rodney, I don't see him as a TB in the NFL. He's a great athelete, so maybe as some suggested a FB, or even a split end if he's got great hands - an over the middle type receiver. I think CFL is most likely though.

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 10:31 AM
It depends on what he wants to do, too.

If he wants to stay at QB, the NFL is not where it's at for him, maybe the CFL.

If he just wants a shot in the NFL, he's looking at RB, or as some have said, FB.

WOCO
December 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
For those of you that saw tim hightower and rodney landers play. Who was better. From what i can find, tim ran a low 4.5 40 and we know what he is doing in the leage. who had the better skill set in the CAA. plus remember, emmitt ran a 4.6

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hightower was a different type of player. You knew Hightower was coming (when he was 100% healthy - his senior year he had various dings during the season) and you couldn't stop him. I'm not saying Landers is a bum - he's a fantastic FCS player - but since he's a QB and you have to respect his passing ability, he's just a different player. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
For those of you that saw tim hightower and rodney landers play. Who was better. From what i can find, tim ran a low 4.5 40 and we know what he is doing in the leage. who had the better skill set in the CAA. plus remember, emmitt ran a 4.6

I think Hightower was better from an NFL RB standard. Rodney is great in the open field and can take a hit and get a few more yards, but Hightower was more ready for the NFL because of the system he played.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hightower was and is a better RB because he had tons of years playing as a RB. Landers has zero years playing as a RB. Sure he runs a lot, but the NFL doesn't run the spread option offense and Landers will have to get use to a whole different look of what the holes and blocking will look like in front of him. He's never really run anything between the tackles that would look anywhere similar to what those runs look like in the NFL. I know people like to say that running the ball is fairly easy, but it takes a lot more nuance, especially at the NFL level, for someone to succeed doing that.

I'm not sure I see Landers get drafted at all, but he should find a camp somewhere to at least get a look. Did Tutt even get drafted? And remember, Tutt also played WR in college as well so he already had exposure to non-QB positions. Landers has been a QB only and he has no shot of being a QB even in the CFL let alone the NFL.

WOCO
December 9th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hightower was and is a better RB because he had tons of years playing as a RB. Landers has zero years playing as a RB. Sure he runs a lot, but the NFL doesn't run the spread option offense and Landers will have to get use to a whole different look of what the holes and blocking will look like in front of him. He's never really run anything between the tackles that would look anywhere similar to what those runs look like in the NFL. I know people like to say that running the ball is fairly easy, but it takes a lot more nuance, especially at the NFL level, for someone to succeed doing that.

I'm not sure I see Landers get drafted at all, but he should find a camp somewhere to at least get a look. Did Tutt even get drafted? And remember, Tutt also played WR in college as well so he already had exposure to non-QB positions. Landers has been a QB only and he has no shot of being a QB even in the CFL let alone the NFL.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree but the QB position as it was this year at JMU is a running back position. Wofford, running game is not based on the QB. App passes a ton in their offense. In JMU's offense, the qb is almost like an I-back.

jmufan999
December 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
no, he would not be in the top 5 RB's (we're putting him up there with Adrian Peterson now? come on). he will not be drafted. he will probably not make an NFL squad (and whoever mentioned the combine... he's not getting invited, so that's a moot point). and i'm obviously a HUGE Landers fan. it's just not going to happen, guys. that's the reality.

Chi Panther
December 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Not top 5....but NFL potential...

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Under normal circumstances, I would agree but the QB position as it was this year at JMU is a running back position. Wofford, running game is not based on the QB. App passes a ton in their offense. In JMU's offense, the qb is almost like an I-back.

Come on, you can't honestly believe that he's running the offense like an I-back would, do you? I've seen at least 4-5 JMU games this year and saw just as many last year. He's in the shotgun, rarely steps towards the line on the first step, and often is managing a belly-option read offense. And when he does run between the tackles again, he's not running with the kind of blocking scheme you'd see in the NFL, he's basically running a QB draw. There's no way that he's getting the same looks that a traditional I-back would get, and the line's not blocking like you do in a traditional I-formation offense.

UNIFanSince1983
December 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I could see him getting on at an NFL squad. He could be kind of like Michael Robinson in my mind, but then again Robinson played receiver one year at Penn State. While that may not be running back, like he is playing in the NFL, it is college level experience not at QB.

unipanthers8907
December 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Could Rodney landers be one of the top 5 running backs taken in the draft?

Umm... No!

ur2k
December 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Tutt was not drafted, he was a free agent signee.

blitz4
December 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
What makes you think he doesn't have the lateral vision or the speed to play fullback in the NFL? How much "lateral vision does a straight ahead running and blocking fullback need? I can see your point on RB speed, but he has the speed to play FB or LB.

Do you really think he is big enough to play fullback in the nfl? He is maybe 220 and that is with rocks in his pockets. NFL fullbacks are 250+ because they take on similar sized linebackers head to head every play. A 220lb blocking back in the nfl would not hold up.

I think Landers is the best player in the fcs and I would take him on my team at QB over anyone, but an nfl back he is not.

blitz4
December 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Being an nfl back is not about straight line 40 speed. It is about lateral speed and change of direction.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Do you really think he is big enough to play fullback in the nfl? He is maybe 220 and that is with rocks in his pockets. NFL fullbacks are 250+ because they take on similar sized linebackers head to head every play. A 220lb blocking back in the nfl would not hold up.

I think Landers is the best player in the fcs and I would take him on my team at QB over anyone, but an nfl back he is not.

He obviously has the speed. His frame he could easily bulk up to 230, maybe 240. He would probably be a free agent to get a look at fullback/H-back. True" fullbacks are a dying breed anyway in the NFL. A lot of them teams use the H back rather than a true fullback.

In the 08' draft the 1st fullback chosen, Jacob Hester of LSU, 69th pick/3rd round was listed pre draft at 5'11", 226, 4.61 40.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/19/SPJM106J13.DTL&feed=rss.raiders

In the 07' draft, the top fullback on the board pre draft was Brian Leonard of Rutgers, listed 6'1, 226, 4.54 40. Ended up being taken in the 2nd round, 52 pick.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Player+Rankings/2007/Fullbacks.htm

I doubt either one of these guys are being used as a "true" fullback.

As far as tailback, yeah, he might be a step or half step not fast enough, and he hasn't played the position before. But I doubt it will be because he doesn't have adequate "lateral vision".

He might not be drafted, but he will likely at least get a shot as a free agent somewhere. The question is, at what position?

Longhorn
December 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM

xcoffeex Wrong.

Longhorn
December 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
There wasn't for Stacy Tutt either but he was picked up by the Jets as a FB and to play on special teams. I see them as similar players.

Agreed. Very similar players.

Longhorn
December 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Disagree about opportunity to play QB in the CFL, not that it matters because I think RL will find a spot on an NFL roster.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Regarding the prompt and title of the thread.... not a chance in H-E Double Hockey Sticks.

He'll make the NFL, but he might not even be drafted. 6th or 7th round, or signed as an undrafted free agent.

WOCO
December 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Being an nfl back is not about straight line 40 speed. It is about lateral speed and change of direction.

Excatly my point. Look him up on youtube and watch how he runs. He has serious RB skills. He doesn't just "bulldoze" people like many in this thread are saying.

WOCO
December 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Regarding the prompt and title of the thread.... not a chance in H-E Double Hockey Sticks.

He'll make the NFL, but he might not even be drafted. 6th or 7th round, or signed as an undrafted free agent.

I know the griz don't really see him play and I only saw the wofford game. I checked his video on the web and saw a remarkable talent. Maybe after saturday, you will have another opinion of him. We will see.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
If we're talking top 5 backs, that would mean he would need to be picked ahead of:

Wells (OSU)
McCoy (Pittsburgh)
Moreno (Georgia)
Murray (Oklahoma)
Ringer (Mich St)

at least those guys. And those guys are all Rd 1 and Rd 2 picks. So no, I don't see Landers going as a RB in the first or second round.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
If we're talking top 5 backs, that would mean he would need to be picked ahead of:

Wells (OSU)
McCoy (Pittsburgh)
Moreno (Georgia)
Murray (Oklahoma)
Ringer (Mich St)

at least those guys. And those guys are all Rd 1 and Rd 2 picks. So no, I don't see Landers going as a RB in the first or second round.

Coffee isn't going into the draft? Or does he still have another year?

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Coffee isn't going into the draft? Or does he still have another year?

Just a list off the top of my head - plus, rumors are that this could be a very, very deep draft as this could be the last one that isn't governed by a rookie wage scale. Look for a bunch of underclassmen to enter and make it pretty crowded.

Tubby Raymond
December 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
JMU guys overeaching, that's new

Screamin_Eagle174
December 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM

xlolx xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
December 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
He has incredible power, speed and quickness for someone his size. I can think of a few starting running backs in the league that don't have his athletic skill set. Discuss

He is not as fast as you think. We will know for sure if he has a combine invite within the next 2-3 weeks. It will be interesting to see if he gets a combine invite.

smallcollegefbfan
December 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
He might get drafted on day 2. He might be a 4.5 handheld, but I believe his electronic 40 time is 4.64, not as fast as a lot of people think. After training for the combine he'll probably run somewhere in the 4.5s. I see him maybe getting drafted on day 2.

So to answer your question, no he won't be drafted in the top 5 RBs. If he is drafted as a RB, it won't be in the top 10, or maybe top 15. As someone said though, he is more likely a FB. Or could maybe be converted to LB. Right now he's listed at 6'2", 220. Will probably fill out to around 230, so who knows.

He ran 4.72 hand-held and I doubt he runs 4.5s. From seeing him play he is more like a 4.65 type guy, which if you watch the NFL that is borderline. If he gets a combine invite and runs in the 4.5s then I could see him going late but if he does not get a combine or runs 4.6s I see him as an undrafted free agent.

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Yeah as much as I love Rodney, I don't see him as a TB in the NFL. He's a great athelete, so maybe as some suggested a FB, or even a split end if he's got great hands - an over the middle type receiver. I think CFL is most likely though.

It depends on what he wants to do, too.

If he wants to stay at QB, the NFL is not where it's at for him, maybe the CFL.

If he just wants a shot in the NFL, he's looking at RB, or as some have said, FB.

I think Hightower was better from an NFL RB standard. Rodney is great in the open field and can take a hit and get a few more yards, but Hightower was more ready for the NFL because of the system he played.

no, he would not be in the top 5 RB's (we're putting him up there with Adrian Peterson now? come on). he will not be drafted. he will probably not make an NFL squad (and whoever mentioned the combine... he's not getting invited, so that's a moot point). and i'm obviously a HUGE Landers fan. it's just not going to happen, guys. that's the reality.

He obviously has the speed. His frame he could easily bulk up to 230, maybe 240. He would probably be a free agent to get a look at fullback/H-back. True" fullbacks are a dying breed anyway in the NFL. A lot of them teams use the H back rather than a true fullback.

In the 08' draft the 1st fullback chosen, Jacob Hester of LSU, 69th pick/3rd round was listed pre draft at 5'11", 226, 4.61 40.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/19/SPJM106J13.DTL&feed=rss.raiders

In the 07' draft, the top fullback on the board pre draft was Brian Leonard of Rutgers, listed 6'1, 226, 4.54 40. Ended up being taken in the 2nd round, 52 pick.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Player+Rankings/2007/Fullbacks.htm

I doubt either one of these guys are being used as a "true" fullback.

As far as tailback, yeah, he might be a step or half step not fast enough, and he hasn't played the position before. But I doubt it will be because he doesn't have adequate "lateral vision".

He might not be drafted, but he will likely at least get a shot as a free agent somewhere. The question is, at what position?

xconfusedx xconfusedx

Delaware fans that can't read...that is new, I'm a fan of most of the posters on here.

FWIW, the thread was started by a Wofford guy and everybody above disagreed.

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 11:09 PM
xlolx xthumbsupx

See above, but nice try.

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Mcveyrl, I agree he'll most likely end up in the CFL. He reminds me a lot of Richie Williams. Can throw, run, etc. Good game manager.

There is a possibility though he could get drafted late. He's more mobile than Joe Flacco and a better passer than Ingle Martin. He'll get his shot to play, he's just up to him to make the most of it IMO.

BDKJMU
December 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Landers To NFL?
JMU Star May Need A New Position
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=34108&CHID=3

"Pauline said NFL scouts are considering Landers - who graduated from JMU last weekend - as an H-back, and that he could also be a prospect as a wide receiver or safety. To play either of those positions, Pauline said, Landers would have to improve his 40-yard dash time to something in the consistent 4.5- to 4.6-second range."....

""From what I've seen of him, his most natural position would be receiver or possibly safety," said Rob Rang, a draft expert for NFLdraftscout.com. "I've seen him take hits. I haven't seen him give out a lot of hits. As a receiver, just how elusive is he? Just how steady is he catching the ball?"".....

"If he has the mentality to, he has the physical skills," Pauline said. "Taking a hit as opposed to doling out a hit is a different mentality.".....

"But not everyone is ready to move Landers from under center. Chris Steuber, a draft expert for Scout.com, said Landers could get looked at as an NFL quarterback by some teams.

From Tim Tebow to Pat White to Landers, NFL scouts are increasingly looking for ways to use athletic college quarterbacks who might not be perfect fits under center in the pros.

"Those kinds of athletes, sometimes they're great quarterbacks at the college level, but they don't translate to the NFL level," Steuber said.

This year, NFL teams, starting with the Miami Dolphins, have used the so-called Wildcat offense - basically a single-wing attack that puts a running quarterback (essentially a tailback) behind the center in the shotgun. That could open the door to the pros for quarterbacks noted more for their ability to carry the ball than pass it, such as Florida's Tebow, West Virginia's White or JMU's Landers.".....

""If you are not invited to the combine, your chances of being drafted are right around 25 percent," Pauline said. "Especially if you're a small school guy. A guy like Landers, if he's not invited to the combine, and I don't think he's going to be, his chances of being selected are diminished."

Rang agreed that being at the combine would be a big lift, but he also said it wouldn't sound the death knell for Landers if he isn't invited.

"It's helpful, certainly, because then you'll be comparing apples to apples," Rang said. "He'll be able to work out against the so-called elite Division I-A athletes. But every year there are players who are signed or even drafted after not being invited to the combine."

Even if the combine snubs Landers, Scouts will see him at college pro days. JMU, Virginia and Virginia Tech all hold such events, and Landers is expected to attend at least one of those."....