PDA

View Full Version : Impact of 3 NC Championships

Rekdiver
December 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
A great article in the Charlotte Observer last week (which jinxed us and caused 7 turnovers...had nothing to do with a very good Richmond team)
laid out the benefits we've reaped from our victories.

Attendance rose from 05 to '08 from 14k to 28k
Booster giving rose from $600k to $2.3 million
corporate sponsorships-- basically non existant to $500k
License fee apparel from $100k to 350k (probably Ohio State fans)

Ave SAT incoming Frosh 1128 to 1163
Avg GPA 3.5 to 3.8

Applications: I can't remember but out of state has increased to 15%.

Sorry I don't have the link but Google Charlotte Observer.

(I'm off a little on just about all the numbers so you anal people don't make a big deal about it okay? This is about "ghist"

If your school has experienced benefits from a title game or being in the p;layoffs how about sharing?

nmatsen
December 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
All I ever read about was your "29,000 fans" and when I watched the quarter final game I saw thousands of empty seats, what gives? We went from sold out playoffs last year to roughly 2/3rds capacity this year. It is terrible.

Appguy
December 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
All I ever read about was your "29,000 fans" and when I watched the quarter final game I saw thousands of empty seats, what gives? We went from sold out playoffs last year to roughly 2/3rds capacity this year. It is terrible

playoff attendance was week both games, definitely worse than all 3 previous years. prob has to do with the economy.

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
All I ever read about was your "29,000 fans" and when I watched the quarter final game I saw thousands of empty seats, what gives? We went from sold out playoffs last year to roughly 2/3rds capacity this year. It is terrible.

playoff attendance was week both games, definitely worse than all 3 previous years. prob has to do with the economy.

I tend to disagree on the economy side of it. I think our fans assumed this would be a win. Seems the success gave rise to some assumptions that weren't proven on the field.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I tend to disagree on the economy side of it. I think our fans assumed this would be a win. Seems the success gave rise to some assumptions that weren't proven on the field.

When I was watching the game, that's kind of what I thought, but the economy doesn't help the situation either.

If the economy's strong, people will go watch a sure win, if it's not, they'll only go to what they think will be a big one.

Little of both, IMO.

And when did you guys win three North Carolina Championships...impressive. :p

AshevilleApp2
December 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I think you're right on this one. I noticed a complacency at all the games I attended this year. The buzz wasn't in the stadium to match past years.

joecooll6
December 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
A great article in the Charlotte Observer last week (which jinxed us and caused 7 turnovers...had nothing to do with a very good Richmond team)
laid out the benefits we've reaped from our victories.

Attendance rose from 05 to '08 from 14k to 28k
Booster giving rose from $600k to $2.3 million
corporate sponsorships-- basically non existant to $500k
License fee apparel from $100k to 350k (probably Ohio State fans)

Ave SAT incoming Frosh 1128 to 1163
Avg GPA 3.5 to 3.8

Applications: I can't remember but out of state has increased to 15%.

Sorry I don't have the link but Google Charlotte Observer.

(I'm off a little on just about all the numbers so you anal people don't make a big deal about it okay? This is about "ghist"

If your school has experienced benefits from a title game or being in the p;layoffs how about sharing?

Wowsa

th0m
December 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Not to mention a pretty sweet pressbox/suite complex opening, what before next season? Or was that in the works before your run? Either way, probably didn't hurt in the giving department.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Not to mention a pretty sweet pressbox/suite complex opening, what before next season? Or was that in the works before your run? Either way, probably didn't hurt in the giving department.

There were changes in place, but not to that scale.

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
The question becomes now, can these giving levels be maintained? And as we draw closer to 2011, will the focus of a move to I-A become more prevalent? That's still the 800-pound gorilla waiting to be addressed when the door is re-opened.

As for the playoff attendance, I won't exactly call it the Braves Syndrome, but it sure could be. Nobody gets good attendance in the first round outside of Montana, and the weather was iffy last Saturday, definitely scaring off the fairweather fans to some extent.

Also at issue I think are some of the students, many of whom who couldn't be asked to save a measly $10 for a ticket from their weekly party money. Not an uncommon occurence all over I am guessing, but it's a tired whine I've heard in the past from the ASU students. I remember clearly in my last year at ASU sitting in Makotos (Japanese steakhouse in Boone) and hearing students saying they couldn't afford the cost of the playoff game ticket - while sitting there eating a $15+ meal...

TCisMYhero
December 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
The question becomes now, can these giving levels be maintained? And as we draw closer to 2011, will the focus of a move to I-A become more prevalent? That's still the 800-pound gorilla waiting to be addressed when the door is re-opened.

As for the playoff attendance, I won't exactly call it the Braves Syndrome, but it sure could be. Nobody gets good attendance in the first round outside of Montana, and the weather was iffy last Saturday, definitely scaring off the fairweather fans to some extent.

Also at issue I think are some of the students, many of whom who couldn't be asked to save a measly $10 for a ticket from their weekly party money. Not an uncommon occurence all over I am guessing, but it's a tired whine I've heard in the past from the ASU students. I remember clearly in my last year at ASU sitting in Makotos (Japanese steakhouse in Boone) and hearing students saying they couldn't afford the cost of the playoff game ticket - while sitting there eating a $15+ meal...

Same thing is happening here. We sold out both playoff games last year, and this year, we haven't broken 10. Students weren't going to show up, so the football coach literally bought all 2000 student tickets to give them away.

eaglewraith
December 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Oh yea, none of this excitement could possibly be from beating Michigan. Not at all.

Would you have had 30k at a game for Lenoir Rhyne or whatever their name is last year for the home opener after winning 2 championships? I think not. That school from the north had more to do with it than you think.

igo4uni
December 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Oh yea, none of this excitement could possibly be from beating Michigan. Not at all.

Would you have had 30k at a game for Lenoir Rhyne or whatever their name is last year for the home opener after winning 2 championships? I think not. That school from the north had more to do with it than you think.

Well, whether it's due to 3 NC's or beating Michigan, those are some impressive numbers.

Hoyadestroya85
December 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
So App St. experienced the Flutie effect.. or as I prefer to call.. the "Foye Effect" it happened at Villanova after two consecutive deep runs in the NCAA tourney

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM
In response to attendance, I think the Thanksgiving weekend game is always tough, but also due to some complacency among the fan base. You are more apt to get to a game if it is your first home playoff game in a couple of years instead of consistently playing home games.

Personally, due to some family committments, I could not attend either home game, but would have been there regardless of the weather had I not had those committments. I would have also attended the semi-final and NC games, had we been fortunate enough to make it again.

As far as the enthusiasm of the fan base, it was interesting to see it evolve from "it's nice to be here" to "we expect to win every game" Even at the Wofford game, there was some complacency in the stadium.

However, I also attended the Thursday night N.C. State-Florida State game in Raleigh earlier this season. The crowd at an ASU home game in much more into the game and supporting it's team then the N.C. State fan base. Could be winning vs. struggling to reach .500, but outside of their student section, the crowd was pretty flat in Raleigh that night despite a close game and the National TV audience.

Hopefully, our fan base realizes how special the last 3 seasons have been and that each Championship should be cherished.

rjg129
December 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I tired of reading bout the attendance issue these last two playoff games...we had 13k for the thanksgiving game and 15k this past weekend...When i was at app, we were lucky to have 15k for homecoming and 8k for a playoff game...This was just in the late 90s-00s

I was happy to see a total 28k at KBS the last two weekends

I just feel very lucky and fortunate to be an App State alum...you cant put a price tag on the publicity and attention the we have brought to the school and FCS football as a whole

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM

sounds awfully familiar to many griz games.

appstate1998
December 9th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Actually considering Lenoir Rhyne is only 45 minutes from Boone, yes I do. The fanbase started growing before the Michigan game. The Michigan game put us on the map throughout the country...and helped sell a bunch of "maized and confused" and "thanks for the 400k" shirts, but the minute Stanford beat USC the country stopped talking about us, and the minute LSU pounded us the Michigan game became a distant memory. I don't even think a high school team would be bragging at this point about beating Michigan.

Now if you want to talk about a game that will bring in new donors..look at the ECU game coming up. This game will be huge. ECU fans think they are the best football team in North Carolina. Appalachian thinks they are. Finally it gets settled.

DLS
December 9th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Actually considering Lenoir Rhyne is only 45 minutes from Boone, yes I do. The fanbase started growing before the Michigan game. The Michigan game put us on the map throughout the country...and helped sell a bunch of "maized and confused" and "thanks for the 400k" shirts, but the minute Stanford beat USC the country stopped talking about us, and the minute LSU pounded us the Michigan game became a distant memory. I don't even think a high school team would be bragging at this point about beating Michigan.

Now if you want to talk about a game that will bring in new donors..look at the ECU game coming up. This game will be huge. ECU fans think they are the best football team in North Carolina. Appalachian thinks they are. Finally it gets settled.

every football team in NC thinks theyre the best in the state. (except duke of course)

MountainMan
December 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I also think the 12 Noon starts and having TV available hurt our numbers for the playoff games. I heard several poeple say they would watch them on TV and then try to make the Semi-Finals if we got there. Our fans base drive from 2+ hours away so the early times hurt no matter what game. Since 2005 all of our games,except TV, have been at 3:30 and the attendance went out the roof. This started before the NC's or Michigan.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I agree that the early start times could be a challenge. Especially if you have kids involved in Saturday morning sports. With the 3:30 start time, you can go to a morning activity, leave the metros around noon, and still be at the Rock for a mini-tailgate before the game.

SideLine Shooter
December 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I agree that the early start times could be a challenge. Especially if you have kids involved in Saturday morning sports. With the 3:30 start time, you can go to a morning activity, leave the metros around noon, and still be at the Rock for a mini-tailgate before the game.

I have said this for a long time. 12:00 Games stink! People want to tailgate and talk to old friends. Early starts do not allow for much of that. If the NCAA wants to make money they should take that into consideration.

Black and Gold Express
December 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Considering that in 2005 regular season - you know, before the Michigan game or any of our titles - we were at 120-140% capacity (well over 20,000) for home games, it's not just the Wolverines.

Beginning with our first home game of 2005 (Coastal), there has been a huge boom in attendance. That also is the first home game under the Peacock/Cobb administration. The changes they made then laid the groundwork for what is in place now. With each national title, and the Michigan win, it kept growing.

Did Michigan cause a bump? Sure. It's not close to being the only thing though.