PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: What the Rise of Southern Football Says About America

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Although mainly focuses on the SEC, talks about the southern culture in general as it relates to football:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122843720586081461.html

hippy@GSU
December 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM
"Half the people in that stadium can't spell LSU," says political consultant James Carville, an LSU alumnus.

HA HA HA

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Sooo... what does this have to do with a playoff that features Montana, Northern Iowa, Richmond and JMU? A playoff, I hasten to add, that has no Deep South members in it at this moment from the SoCon, MEAC, or Southland Conferences. (Throw in the OVC for good measure.)

Virginia is NOT the deep south. Hell, they don't even mention the ACC in the article! (Not south enough for them!)

Appinator
December 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Sooo... what does this have to do with a playoff that features Montana, Northern Iowa, Richmond and JMU? A playoff, I hasten to add, that has no Deep South members in it at this moment from the SoCon, MEAC, or Southland Conferences. (Throw in the OVC for good measure.)

Virginia is NOT the deep south. Hell, they don't even mention the ACC in the article! (Not south enough for them!)

Well, I thought it was a great football article and I am glad it was passed on. I think the overall impact of sports in general on modern society can be easily forgotten when you have guys "making it rain" every time they are in public off the field.

I would even stretch this to be about the emergence of southern universities, which have grown incredibly over the last three decades. Not to make this about ASU, but to think that Appalachian Normal School could grow into Time Magazines College of the Year is astounding. Places like USF, FAU, etc. have grown even further. Football is a rallying point to support these emerging institutions, which has resulted in learning opportunities for numerous individuals who would not have been so privileged previously.

GATA
December 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Did you read the title of the thread? ...it's not about I-AA playoff football...xeyebrowx

If you want to read comments on a thread about the I-AA playoffs...you might want to try clicking on another thread with a title on that subject.

OL FU
December 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Proof that one year aberrations exist. xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Did you read the title of the thread? ...it's not about I-AA playoff football...xeyebrowx

If you want to read comments on a thread about the I-AA playoffs...you might want to try clicking on another thread with a title on that subject.

If it's not about FCS football, then it shouldn't be in the group FCS Discussion".

Moderators?

GATA
December 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
If it's not about FCS football, then it shouldn't be in the group FCS Discussion".

Moderators?

What are you the message board police?

The article is about southern football in general. They just use the SEC as an example...

OL FU
December 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
This loyalty extends to the political establishment. Within the nine SEC states, two-thirds of the governors and U.S. senators are SEC alumni. In the eight Midwestern states that make up the Big Ten, just over a third of governors and senators went to one of their states' major football schools.

South Carolina governor Mark Sanford xsmiley_wix Furman Alumxthumbsupx

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
What are you the message board police?

The article is about southern football in general. They just use the SEC as an example...

I was thinking along those lines when I read it last Fri. If you look at the Southern Conferfence in I-AA, its a similar situation as the SEC in I-A (even though the So-Con isn't the best conference right now its in the top 4, maybe top 2, and the So-Con probably has the greatest level of support, at least in terms of student body size). I don't think you'll see privates as small as Elon, Wofford, and Furman have the kind of support they do in other regions of the country. And look at how rabid ASU's fan base is, and GSU's was when they were really good (and still is to a certain extent).

You can say the same thing about HS ball too (esp if you consider Texas the south). The fan support in the north (my brother is a HS ref in CT and I briefly lived in RI) is like nothing compared to the south (I've lived in VA, GA and TX). I mean in TX and other parts of the south, the 4 biggest HS sports are Spring football, pre season football, regular season football, and post season football.

Sure there are some exceptions like W PA and Ohio.

Tealblood
December 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
South Carolina governor Mark Sanford xsmiley_wix Furman Alumxthumbsupx

I wouldn't claim him and I am a repub

Tealblood
December 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
and I tried to rep you on the aberations line but alas to no avail

OL FU
December 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't claim him and I am a repub

I would. The only problem with Sanford is that all the republicans in the state legislature aren't really republicans. If they had listened to him the last 6 years, we would have to slice our budget 20% now. The budget would have been where it should be.xthumbsupx