PDA

View Full Version : Payton Award

JMinU
December 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Most everyone can agree that AE is prolly gonna win. I do think Landers should win though. Ae is prolly better not by much though. But I thik the comittee needs to look at the head to head match up. Landers won the award on the field. Give it to him this year then you can give AE one
the same day for next year

achrist70
December 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
When are the ballots turned in, because Landers could help himself this week where AE can't

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I think it's great that the FCS is blessed with two QB's with this much talent. AE will win, and he is a deserving winner.

However, I think you can make some pretty compelling arguments for Landers as well (head to head, % of offense, THIS season's record, etc.).

Again, having seen both of them play, I think we are all lucky to have two great talents like that in the league at the same time.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
When are the ballots turned in, because Landers could help himself this week where AE can't

Ballots were turned in prior to this week's games. I made the mistake of hoping that the playoffs would factor in to the voting, but they do not.

JMinU
December 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I think they where done after the last game of the season. All the scores where released except the final 3

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Ought to just give it to Foster again

Wow. Nothing else to say, just wow.

JMU DJ
December 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I think they where done after the last game of the season. All the scores where released except the final 3

Don't know if anyone posted this on another thread, but it's a breakdown of the final three and all that good stuff (Hopefully not in the order of how they will finish in voting).

http://www.oddsandnews.com/football/ncfaa/news/2008-12-01/donaldson,-edwards,-landers-named-as-payton-finalists-48996

Rob Iola
December 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
They'll both win - AE in a suit and Flanders in a uniform...

GannonFan
December 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Most everyone can agree that AE is prolly gonna win. I do think Landers should win though. Ae is prolly better not by much though. But I thik the comittee needs to look at the head to head match up. Landers won the award on the field. Give it to him this year then you can give AE one

I don't understand this "head to head" matchup thing. Landers and Edwards were never on the field at the same time - it's not like either was playing defense while the other was on offense. And neither was going up against the same defense in that game. Do we blame Edwards for letting JMU return the kickoff after halftime for a TD? Do we knock Landers for any of Appy St's TD's in the first half? Head to head, whatever that really means when comparing two QB's, means nothing as it relates to this award.

GannonFan
December 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Ballots are in before the playoffs - what happens in the playoffs does not matter.

The Moody1
December 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
They'll both win - AE in a suit and FLANDERS in a uniform...

Ned Flanders? :D

Rob Iola
December 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Ned Flanders? :D
Ooops - silly me... :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I don't understand this "head to head" matchup thing. Landers and Edwards were never on the field at the same time - it's not like either was playing defense while the other was on offense. And neither was going up against the same defense in that game. Do we blame Edwards for letting JMU return the kickoff after halftime for a TD? Do we knock Landers for any of Appy St's TD's in the first half? Head to head, whatever that really means when comparing two QB's, means nothing as it relates to this award.

It's simply one more measuring tool for the two players. You have stats of course, but non-statistical categories like leadership, tenacity and propensity to will your team to victory and snatch it out of the jaws of defeat are qualities of great offensive players as well. xpeacex

GannonFan
December 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
It's simply one more measuring tool for the two players. You have stats of course, but non-statistical categories like leadership, tenacity and propensity to will your team to victory and snatch it out of the jaws of defeat are qualities of great offensive players as well. xpeacex

I agree, but that also tends to overlook the impact of the other 42 players who were on the field who weren't named Landers or Edwards.

Dukes82
December 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Too bad they voted so early. I understand AE showed poor sportsmanship after their loss to Richmond. That alone should disqualify him.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Sounds like things Armanti has been doing the past three years. Both are qualified and whichever one wins it, deserves it.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Too bad they voted so early. I understand AE showed poor sportsmanship after their loss to Richmond. That alone should disqualify him.

Please, newbie, explain. I was there, were you? All I saw was the team gathered together at half field praying.

bandl
December 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Why? xeyebrowx

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Big talk coming from a school Foster used and abused....what's yorn?

xlolx Stupid talk coming from a school that hasn't won anything since I was in college...what's yorn? xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
He!1, it took a BVG just to let you guys catch up and you'ns still only 1/2 way there. We beat your best team ever at Paulson North.

xlolx Yeah, yeah, yeah...did you come out of your stooper now that App has lost in the playoffs (you've tripled your post count over the past two years just today). Don't worry though we'll be ok. Your win in Boone last year really hurt the team and program didn't it? xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Still waiting...

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Come on newbie, there's already a recent thread on this 10 pages long. Usually when you want to start a discussion on a topic like the Payton, there's usually already a # of threads on it. Just go back a few pages. No reason to start another one.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53533

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Wanna come over for steaks an beer this weekend since your free? I'll let you polish my 6 trophys....or we can hold a mirror up to your three if you want the effect.

xlolx See, that's what I've been missing the past three years with the Stink sucking it up. Glad you guys got some fight back in ya. There is still no team I hate more on this planet than GSU. And I think that is exactly how God intended it. xnodx xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Come on newbie, there's already a recent thread on this 10 pages long. Usually when you want to start a discussion on a topic like the Payton, there's usually already a # of threads on it. Just go back a few pages. No reason to start another one.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53533

BDK, that's Alexale23 under a different name. She hasn't ventured out of the Smack Forum before much, so she is not familiar in these here parts.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
We're just happy a bunch of godless alcoholics like you App fans have become finally got your comeuppance....

For now...all good things must come to an end, like GSU's championships, ASU's run, and Adrian Peterson's/ Jayson Foster's eligibility. xsmileyclapx

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
and Peacock's struttin'

And Paul Johnson's triple option.

HiHiYikas
December 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I hope AE wins...he'll be a deserving first Payton winner for ASU.

And to put another optimistic spin on this season...ASU has been represented in Chattanooga as either a finals team or a Payton finalist five years in a row now.

I just hope Armanti fares a little better than DaVon Fowlkes did in 2004.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
It could be worse....we coulda gone to citadel

True...or West Carolina. xeekx

Sorry Catamount Man. Had to get that one in there. xbowx

Can't wait for next season Yokel, hope you make the trip to Boone.

Eaglegus2
December 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I hope AE wins...he'll be a deserving first Payton winner for ASU.

And to put another optimistic spin on this season...ASU has been represented in Chattanooga as either a finals team or a Payton finalist five years in a row now.

I just hope Armanti fares a little better than DaVon Fowlkes did in 2004.

I would love to see AE win the Payton. He is well deserving of the award.

Besides, if the CAA can take the credit for the best conference. The SoCon can have the best players in FCS. xthumbsupx

Dukes82
December 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Please, newbie, explain. I was there, were you? All I saw was the team gathered together at half field praying.

I said "I understand" that he displayed poor sportsmanship. That does not mean that he did or don't you understand what a qualifier is?

In any event throwing 5 interceptions should have reduced his capital some.

Saint3333
December 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM

AE vs. RL "head-to-head" stats were very comparable in the ASU @ JMU game.

If JMU's defense was better than ASU's wouldn't that give AE the better numbers?

If the playoffs counted AE would have won it last year, so let's not start down that path either.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
would be pretty sweet to see AE get it and have the opportunity for back to back next year!

AppChicago
December 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I said "I understand" that he displayed poor sportsmanship. That does not mean that he did or don't you understand what a qualifier is?

Well, we understand that you have trouble constructing a coherent thought. Qualifiers are fun!

Stuff your rumors.

As for the interceptions, the guy had a bad game. I think everyone should be allowed one. The timing sucked, but we'll survive.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Not that it matters for the topic of this thread, but what is everybody talking about with bad sportsmanship???

I've always thought that AE seemed very gracious and humble. I would be surprised if he exhibited otherwise in defeat (although he doesn't have a whole lot of experience in that departmnt). If he was too mad about losing to participate in a prayer circle, then I completely understand.

What's the word?

Yosef84
December 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I think it's great that the FCS is blessed with two QB's with this much talent. AE will win, and he is a deserving winner.

However, I think you can make some pretty compelling arguments for Landers as well (head to head, % of offense, THIS season's record, etc.).

Again, having seen both of them play, I think we are all lucky to have two great talents like that in the league at the same time.

Well said. Of course, I'm an AE fan. I hope he wins, but Landers is a great one also. Both have led their teams to excellent records. Both have individual stats that are worthy of recognition. I know that the Payton is not a cumulative award, but AE's "body of work" is hard to ignore. Bottom line is that both are deserving and I hope that both have bright futures.

RichWhat?
December 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I think Landers is more deserving simply because he did what he did in a much much better conference and against much tougher competition throughout the season. JMU's schedule was absolutely brutal, making an undefeated CAA record, especially in the south having to play Richmond and Nova on the road, and a big win over App State even more impressive.

Landers is the best QB in the country.

jus10asu
December 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Whats with all these people coming out of the woodworks?

GATA
December 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think Landers is more deserving simply because he did what he did in a much much better conference and against much tougher competition throughout the season. JMU's schedule was absolutely brutal, making an undefeated CAA record, especially in the south having to play Richmond and Nova on the road, and a big win over App State even more impressive.

Wrong. 1) Edwards 2) Landers

Nobody else should even be discussed. James Madison is clearly the best team in the country...so Landers has that edge, but he's not a better football player than Armanti Edwards.

Another note...everybody is pretty clear on the fact that the CAA is the best conference in the country (that's what happens when you put together a 12 team conference), but they're not MUCH better than the SOCON...it's not the SEC...Richmond, James Madison, Villanova are all legit. The rest of the conference is nothing to get excited about. There will always be 2 random teams out of the CAA that are pretty good just because of the size of the conference. If you threw 3 more teams into the SOCON you'd see the same thing.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Whats with all these people coming out of the woodworks?

Happens every December...xwhistlex xwhistlex xrulesx

DLS
December 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM

im not arguing that the schedule was harder . . . but MUCH harder? c'mon.

its the caa not the sec.

and no landers is not the best qb in the country.

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I completely understand what a qualifier is. Do you understand you can't just through something out and not even mention why, where, or how you "came to understand" he displayed poor sportsmanship? You like throwing out a rumor and then acting like a smug chump. Go ahead, spill it. What did you "hear" that made you "understand" he displayed poor sportmanship. You weren't there, how did you come across this information. Again, you took time to insult my intelligence, but haven't taken time to say how you came to understand...let's hear it big man.

Really though, that's how you handle your introduction on this board, by acting like that...classy. xthumbsupx

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I completely understand what a qualifier is. Do you understand you can't just through something out and not even mention why, where, or how you "came to understand" he displayed poor sportsmanship? You like throwing out a rumor and then acting like a smug chump. Go ahead, spill it. What did you "hear" that made you "understand" he displayed poor sportmanship. You weren't there, how did you come across this information. Again, you took time to insult my intelligence, but haven't taken time to say how you came to understand...let's hear it big man.

Really though, that's how you handle your introduction on this board, by acting like that...classy. xthumbsupx

I wouldn't sweat him too much.... Seems like a drive by poster anyway. He will be gone in two weeks after the finals and won't appear again till next October/November..... Or so "I hear"!xwhistlex

GannonFan
December 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Wrong. 1) Edwards 2) Landers

Nobody else should even be discussed. James Madison is clearly the best team in the country...so Landers has that edge, but he's not a better football player than Armanti Edwards.

Another note...everybody is pretty clear on the fact that the CAA is the best conference in the country (that's what happens when you put together a 12 team conference), but they're not MUCH better than the SOCON...it's not the SEC...Richmond, James Madison, Villanova are all legit. The rest of the conference is nothing to get excited about. There will always be 2 random teams out of the CAA that are pretty good just because of the size of the conference. If you threw 3 more teams into the SOCON you'd see the same thing.

Huh? It's not like the CAA is monumentally larger than the SoCon - it's only 3 more teams. And this year, 5 CAA teams made it and probably the last team left out was W&M, another CAA team. That would be 6 CAA teams that would've been in the playoffs before a 3rd SoCon team in Elon. And of the CAA's 12 teams, 10 of them have been in the playoffs at one point in time in the past 5 years. Four of the 9 Socon teams have either never been in the playoffs or haven't been in the playoffs in close to 20 years.

And why don't you consider UNH legit? Of the 3 road victories this year in the playoffs (2 of which by CAA teams) UNH was one of them and they certainly gave UNI everything they could handle this past weekend.

Dukes82
December 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM

I heard another poster on this board say he left the field at the end of the game without joining his team mates in the group thing on the field. So it was hearsay and I identified it as such with my qualifier. Sorry if I insulted his majesty. :D

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I heard another poster on this board say he left the field at the end of the game without joining his team mates in the group thing on the field. So it was hearsay and I identified it as such with my qualifier. Sorry if I insulted his majesty. :D

I heard he was Muslim and had to make it to an AlQaeda meeting, so he skipped the midfield prayer.

That's what I heard.

Dukes82
December 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't sweat him too much.... Seems like a drive by poster anyway. He will be gone in two weeks after the finals and won't appear again till next October/November..... Or so "I hear"!xwhistlex

Well what do you all talk about once football is over? If there is some worthwhile discussion here I will hang around, if for no other reason then to keep getting your goat. :D

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well what do you all talk about once football is over? If there is some worthwhile discussion here I will hang around, if for no other reason then to keep getting your goat. :D

I guess you will have to hang around and see, now won't you!!!

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Why didn't you just say that, instead of saying he displayed poor sportsmanship? When I hear that I think of him disrespecting opposing players, yelling at the refs, or showing his ass.

You apparently are not too bright either, I said upfront I understood you were discussing a rumor because you weren't there, and you were trying to bash a young man you've never met and say he doesn't deserve to win the Payton because he didn't huddle at the field?

Keep trying...xlolx You went from saying he displayed poor sportsmanship to he didn't join his teammates in a prayer. So much for "qualifiers." xoopsx

Dukes82
December 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Why didn't you just say that, instead of saying he displayed poor sportsmanship? When I hear that I think of him disrespecting opposing players, yelling at the refs, or showing his ass.

You apparently are not too bright either, I said upfront I understood you were discussing a rumor because you weren't there, and you were trying to bash a young man you've never met and say he doesn't deserve to win the Payton because he didn't huddle at the field?

Keep trying...xlolx You went from saying he displayed poor sportsmanship to he didn't join his teammates in a prayer. So much for "qualifiers." xoopsx

What is it with the insults?

I guess you are just sensitive after your loss. You need to get over it. You are not going to win it every year.

GATA
December 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM

I guess you are just sensitive after your loss. You need to get over it. You are not going to win it every year.

Armanti IS sort of a jerk (just kidding mods...don't sanction me bro!)

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM

I should ask you the same thing. All I said in the post is you weren't too bright either hence, both of us. I think you're a little sensitive that you got called out. The last guy just shooting off rumors on here was blasted, I'd say you should keep that in mind.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you did insult my intelligence ("guess you don't understand qualifiers") and I essentially did the same thing. Guess we're even. I'm actually not upset with the loss, it was rather expected. xthumbsupx

I did notice you called me sensitive instead of really responding to my post.

But, if you want to bury the hatchet, that's cool. xpeacex

Saint3333
December 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Huh? It's not like the CAA is monumentally larger than the SoCon - it's only 3 more teams. And this year, 5 CAA teams made it and probably the last team left out was W&M, another CAA team. That would be 6 CAA teams that would've been in the playoffs before a 3rd SoCon team in Elon. And of the CAA's 12 teams, 10 of them have been in the playoffs at one point in time in the past 5 years. Four of the 9 Socon teams have either never been in the playoffs or haven't been in the playoffs in close to 20 years.

And why don't you consider UNH legit? Of the 3 road victories this year in the playoffs (2 of which by CAA teams) UNH was one of them and they certainly gave UNI everything they could handle this past weekend.

33% is a pretty big percentage. If the SoCon raided the OVC and picked up a Big South member (Liberty), they'd likely have 3-5 teams make the playoffs every year.

West
ASU
WCU
UTC
EKU
JSU
Samford

East
Wofford
Furman
Liberty
Citadel
GSU
Elon

Actually that's a pretty good conference. Look at what joining the SoCon has done to Elon's program and you can already see a difference in the recruits Samford is getting. I would miss playing GSU and Furman every year though.

appstate1998
December 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM

3 more teams is huge...let's not forget that Samford just joined, Elon is still unpacking their bags, and Wofford has been around for just around 10 years. If you start throwing out 20 years, can we bring Marshall back into the discussion? Can we have Richmond and William and Mary back? How bout ECU???

By the way when discussing the CAA teams, what conference were they in when they had these wins?

gophoenix
December 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM
33% is a pretty big percentage. If the SoCon raided the OVC and picked up a Big South member (Liberty), they'd likely have 3-5 teams make the playoffs every year.

West
ASU
WCU
UTC
EKU
JSU
Samford

East
Wofford
Furman
Liberty
Citadel
GSU
Elon

Actually that's a pretty good conference. Look at what joining the SoCon has done to Elon's program and you can already see a difference in the recruits Samford is getting. I would miss playing GSU and Furman every year though.

You know, that would be a pretty darn good conference laid out like that.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM

West
ASU
WCU
UTC
EKU
JSU
Samford

East
Wofford
Furman
Liberty
Citadel
GSU
Elon

Eh, hard to tell yet. In the current conference setting, only ASU, Furman, GSU, and Wofford have been regular playoff participants. I know you guys are all high on Elon but they didn't have a real big win all year and got throttled in a huge must-win game by a Liberty team that, let's be honest, would've just been first round fodder had they made the playoffs anyway. The rest of the conference, the WCU's, the Chattanooga's, etc, haven't made any noise in almost two decades so what's to think they'll start doing so now?

And now you want to cherrypick from the OVC, a conference who despite multiple entries in numerous years, has yet to win a playoff game since 1997 (and the team that won that year for the OVC isn't even in the conference anymore)? How does that make the conference any better?

Like I said, the nice thing about the CAA is that outside of URI and Towson (and Towson's only been in the league 5 years) is that everyone else has had great years where they make the playoffs, and most have won games in the playoffs. It's not just a quartet of teams every year - heck, UNH is the only team that has made the playoffs every single year since '04 while you have the likes of UD, JMU, Richmond, W&M, nova, UMass all struggle in some years to even make the playoffs. Can you honestly say that Appy St and Wofford may not make the playoffs because now Samford and Liberty are in the conference? Seriously?

The CAA also gets the 4-5 teams into the playoffs because they win when they are there. The Gateway got 4 teams into the playoffs in '03, didn't have a single team get past the quarters, and you haven't seen them get close to that number since. I know the committee says they don't look at the past but it's hard to believe they don't have that in the back of their minds.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
3 more teams is huge...let's not forget that Samford just joined, Elon is still unpacking their bags, and Wofford has been around for just around 10 years. If you start throwing out 20 years, can we bring Marshall back into the discussion? Can we have Richmond and William and Mary back? How bout ECU???

By the way when discussing the CAA teams, what conference were they in when they had these wins?

The teams in the CAA, outside of Towson who joined in '03 or '04, and maybe Northeastern (may have joined lated 90's) have all been CAA teams since 1992, or earlier. And outside of Towson and URI, every other CAA team has been in the playoffs in the past 6-7 years, as CAA teams.

gophoenix
December 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM

To our defense, Elon and Samford have only been in a conference eligible for an automatic bid for 5 years. As has been seen numerous times, it is extremely difficult to make the field without real conference membership (see any number of Liberty, Elon, Hofstra, Samford and Cal Poly examples for this from 2002 and before).

So when you say, 4 of the teams haven't been in the playoffs in close to 20 years, that is a bit misleading for 2 of the members. Plus, two members haven't even been D-I for 20 years.

That would be like questioning Towson, who has barely been D-I for 20 years and was pretty much non-scholarship for much of that 20 years.

appstate1998
December 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The teams in the CAA, outside of Towson who joined in '03 or '04, and maybe Northeastern (may have joined lated 90's) have all been CAA teams since 1992, or earlier. And outside of Towson and URI, every other CAA team has been in the playoffs in the past 6-7 years, as CAA teams.

didn't realize the CAA was that old, or that Richmond has been in it for so long. I thought these teams played for other conferences. So does that mean if say Davidson left the Pioneer League and joined the SoCon we can say they've always been a SoCon football team

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
To our defense, Elon and Samford have only been in a conference eligible for an automatic bid for 5 years. As has been seen numerous times, it is extremely difficult to make the field without real conference membership (see any number of Liberty, Elon, Hofstra, Samford and Cal Poly examples for this from 2002 and before).

So when you say, 4 of the teams haven't been in the playoffs in close to 20 years, that is a bit misleading for 2 of the members. Plus, two members haven't even been D-I for 20 years.

That would be like questioning Towson, who has barely been D-I for 20 years and was pretty much non-scholarship for much of that 20 years.

The 4 I was referring to (are 3 actually) are WCU, UT-Chatty, The Citadel. All full scholly teams since I guess their entrance into I-AA/FCS almost 30 years ago. The last time WCU was in the playoffs (only made it once) was 1983, Chatty made their lone appearance in 1984, and The Citadel has been a regular season only team since '92 (one of their 3 appearances). That's like 3 Rhode Island-type teams right there and that's before you go start raiding the OVC which is 0 for the decade plus in the playoffs.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
didn't realize the CAA was that old, or that Richmond has been in it for so long. I thought these teams played for other conferences. So does that mean if say Davidson left the Pioneer League and joined the SoCon we can say they've always been a SoCon football team

Richmond and UD joined the Yankee in 1986, and the other ones were on board by '92. Boston U was in that group too until the late 90's when they dropped football (about the same time ETSU did). Both were fairly equivalent in terms of success.

KiddBrewer
December 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
im not completely as convinced as most are that AE is gonna win. Both Landers and Armanti have a very good case. If AE wins, Landers could have. and visa versa.

KiddBrewer
December 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
on a side note, i just read through this thread and its quite funny. i thought it started out friendly atleast.

Saint3333
December 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I think that JSU and EKU wouldn't mind jumping over to the SoCon. Every team that joins the SoCon gets better and has seen a jump in recruiting (Wofford, Elon, Samford).

That alignment would have likely given either Elon or Furman one less loss this year and the SoCon would have had 3 teams in the field.