PDA

View Full Version : Does Your State Show You Respect

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Just to further my disgust on how little respect the state of Iowa give Northern Iowa, in the Des Moines Register online photo gallery of the UNH game they list coach Farley as Mike Farley. I could understand once it could be a typo, but it happens multiple time.

I know that Montana is the states team, but what about others.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well, in our case, obviously:p

gbhmt
December 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well, in our case, obviously:p

Nobody cares about the Griz, Carroll hogs all the attention.:p

slycat
December 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Nope. Besides UT and A&M no one gets much respect over the state as a whole.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
The problem is....that's a super-crummy newspaper.

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
UNI is the Rodney Dangerfield of the big 4 in Iowa.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Weber doesn't get the same attention in Utah that BYU or the Utes get for sure. They don't get as much as Utah state, but the fact they do talk about them and have some reporting isn't bad.

brownbear
December 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM
In Rhode Island, the projo gives very little coverage towards college football, Brown or URI. During the fall, almost all coverage is geared toward Red Sox and Patriots, and the upcoming basketball season. During the winter, they do give a lot of coverage towards college basketball, Brown, URI, and PC, but they give no hockey coverage.

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
The Virginia FCS teams do ok, but Va Tech and UVA dominate. I think we benefit from having so many FCS teams in the state.

Eaglesrus
December 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
We get zero respect from the largest paper in GA (Atlanta Journal Constitution) or the other media in Atlanta from what I understand. We are treated better in some of the other cities' dailies, but for the most part it's UGA and, oh yeah, there are those other schools, uh, what are their names? Oh, there's GA Tech and seems like there's another one, something like GA Southern?

Eaglegus2
December 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hell!!! Georgia State gets more attention for football than Georgia Southern.

Of course, UGA & GT always get the news.

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The thing with states like Florida, Georgia, Texas, Virginia etc... you all have legit top 25 or higher BCS teams.

Iowa has Iowa and Iowa State.....yeah....

Rob Iola
December 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
We get zero respect from the largest paper in GA (Atlanta Journal Constitution) or the other media in Atlanta from what I understand. We are treated better in some of the other cities' dailies, but for the most part it's UGA and, oh yeah, there are those other schools, uh, what are their names? Oh, there's GA Tech and seems like there's another one, something like GA Southern?
Wait, I thought it was GA State?

hippy@GSU
December 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Sadly, UGA dominates our state. Every redneck is a Georgia fan and at the same time couldnt tell you anything about the team. UGA hats, jackets, truck tags, terribly made window "G" stickers, car flags, cuzees(however you spell it), you name it. You would think in Statesboro that GSU support would outnumber uga, but sometimes it seems like the old red tyrant still has a grip on our community. Its not like I can say, "Look at those six flags flying high, they stand for a long tradition of domination and simply doing more with less. Can uga say the same? If not, why not jump on the success express and learn how it feels to be a champion. Learn how it feels to root for 'little old GSU' and its never ending possibilities. Come on over and let the past be the reference for the state of our furure." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution rarely gives GSU respect (unless your the other gsu "georgia state") and the Savannah paper isnt too bad. Many students at school wear their uga gear, and I have been in the library writing papers only to hear some fat rednecks phone ringer playing the uga fight song. I felt like I should GATA ('Get After That A$$', for those that dont know.) Then you have the "I like GSU unless their playing uga because uga has always been my team and my daddy roots for uga and GSU is in another didvision so its ok." Its a trend that a lot of them pick up in high school because its "the cool thing to do." I even get jabbed at church by some of the old farts because I like to wear blue/white and drive my old GSU themed truck around town. I can tell that it really bothers them that I not "red." Maybe I overreact, but the red invasion is really getting old.

Purple For Life
December 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Sadly, UGA dominates our state. Every redneck is a Georgia fan and at the same time couldnt tell you anything about the team. UGA hats, jackets, truck tags, terribly made window "G" stickers, car flags, cuzees(however you spell it), you name it. You would think in Statesboro that GSU support would outnumber uga, but sometimes it seems like the old red tyrant still has a grip on our community. Its not like I can say, "Look at those six flags flying high, they stand for a long tradition of domination and simply doing more with less. Can uga say the same? If not, why not jump on the success express and learn how it feels to be a champion. Learn how it feels to root for 'little old GSU' and its never ending possibilities. Come on over and let the past be the reference for the state of our furure." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution rarely gives GSU respect (unless your the other gsu "georgia state") and the Savannah paper isnt too bad. Many students at school wear their uga gear, and I have been in the library writing papers only to hear some fat rednecks phone ringer playing the uga fight song. I felt like I should GATA ('Get After That A$$', for those that dont know.) Then you have the "I like GSU unless their playing uga because uga has always been my team and my daddy roots for uga and GSU is in another didvision so its ok." Its a trend that a lot of them pick up in high school because its "the cool thing to do." I even get jabbed at church by some of the old farts because I like to wear blue/white and drive my old GSU themed truck around town. I can tell that it really bothers them that I not "red." Maybe I overreact, but the red invasion is really getting old.

Replace "UGA" with Iowa and "GSU" with UNI and you've got an idea what it's like here in Iowa...

danefan
December 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
100% unequivocal NO on our part.

We play in less than a DIII facility and everything done facility wise has been because of the Giants' training camp or by private funding.

All the while Buffalo and Stony Brook gets millions of $$$$$ flowinng their way for stadium expansions....

CID1990
December 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Absolutely not. Every paper in SC has a boner for the Coots and Pickens Agricultural Tech.

What is sad is that at least the Greenville and Columbia papers can argue that USC and clempson are the hometown teams. The Charleston Post and Courier is just an a$$wipe in general. What's worse is that one of the two premier sports editorialists (Gene Sapakoff) at the P&C is openly hostile to anything other than big time money soaked college sports. IN other words, he's one of those guys who only mentions FCS teams in order to denigrate them.

bobbythekidd
December 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'll just say this...

My old season tickets were right behind one of our coach's mother and right next to the head coach's wife. The mother of one of our coach's said to me that she was a huge UGA fan and she would ALWAYS root for them. She said, "It's not like GSU ever plays them!!"xconfusedx

I informed her that we have played them in the past and will be opening the 08 season with UGA. She was speechless.

I requested that my season tickets be changed to section K after that.xthumbsupx

Our own fans don't give us any attention, it's no wonder why the state media doesn't.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Nope. The Spokesman review increased their coverage of Eastern this year (at least during the preseason and early part of the regular season until we started sucking), but as a state... nothing. WSU and UW, who have 2 wins between them this season, get by FAR a more coverage than Eastern. Pathetic, really.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Lehigh has gotten good pub from all the major eastern PA media outlets mostly due to their affiliation with the Philadelphia Eagles. Outside of Villanova, Lehigh would be the most high profile FCS school in the state. Still Lehigh is way overshadowed by Penn State. Bucknell hoops got good pub during their bball run but that has since ended.

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
What gets me is when local reporters whine when people mis-pronounce Ferentz, thats more understandable than Mike instead of Mark.

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
We have been getting good coverage this season locally with football and basketball-but that is just Long Island. You wont see much except a box score in the Times, NY Post or Daily News. The New York City area is pro-sports all the way and now Big East Basketball.

thmst30
December 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
For some odd reason the crappy ACC gets loads more coverage here than Apps run over the last 3 years.xrotatehx The ONLY time we got truly "respected" was of course after the Michigan game, but that was very short lived. Hell UNC-Charlotte's football team, that doesn't even truly exist yet, gets more coverage.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Last year, we couldn't get enough coverage, we were a hot ticket, we had articles, led sports sections of news, this year, nothing.

thmst30
December 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Last year, we couldn't get enough coverage, we were a hot ticket, we had articles, led sports sections of news, this year, nothing.
If you win the Nat'l Title this year you get a snazzy 15 second clip on ESPN.:D

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Just to further my disgust on how little respect the state of Iowa give Northern Iowa, in the Des Moines Register online photo gallery of the UNH game they list coach Farley as Mike Farley. I could understand once it could be a typo, but it happens multiple time.

I know that Montana is the states team, but what about others.

Wrong!!! The griz have the Missoulian and the Cats have the Chronicle, but for the most part the rest of the bigger newspapers in the state are fairly equal in coverage which isn't bad considering that the school of journalism is at UM.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
The most respect, media wise, ASU gets is from the Winston-Salem Journal. When we beat Michigan, the write up in the Charlotte paper was the AP piece. Such is life when you have four ACC schools and and another FBS program in the same state. Especially now that basketball season has started and the media and people across the state have a hard-on for UNC and Puke. xsmhx

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Nope. The Spokesman review increased their coverage of Eastern this year (at least during the preseason and early part of the regular season until we started sucking), but as a state... nothing. WSU and UW, who have 2 wins between them this season, get by FAR a more coverage than Eastern. Pathetic, really.

Did Central get any coverage as the season went on?

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
If you win the Nat'l Title this year you get a snazzy 15 second clip on ESPN.:D

If you beat Michigan it is talked about for hours!

93henfan
December 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
The Blue Hens are obviously the most respected football team in Delaware. But still, the only two TV markets that cover the Hens, with the exception of one Delaware PBS station, are Philadelphia and Salisbury, MD, so we rarely get any top billing on TV as those two markets embrace Penn State and Maryland respectively. The (Wilmington DE) News Journal usually gives the Hens top billing and the (Dover DE) Delaware State News usually gives the Hens and Hornets about equal newspaper coverage.

It makes for a hearty fanbase when you have to make your own rah-rah at the games. xthumbsupx

joecooll6
December 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Wow. Insert Iowa for Georgia and UNI for GSU and that pretty much describes the state of Iowa.

Iowa = Georgia
Iowa St = Georgia Tech
UNI = GSU

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
JMU gets fairly good media coverage in the papers. TV is another story though we definitely had a lot of air time between CSN and CN8. Sadly those will not continue :(

MountaineerGuy
December 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
We're not in the ACC so as far as most of North Carolina is concerned, we're not even a real college.

Although it's funny how Wake Forest, UNC, and NC State back out of deals to play us........

footballdude
December 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
In Utah there are only two main teams that get recognition BYU and Utah. Other than them those are the teams even though there are three other teams Weber State, Utah State, and Southern Utah. But those first two are definately at the top.

Appstate29
December 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
its been a lot better than it used to be in North Carolina. We get good coverage in W-S and Asheville, and more and mroe in Charlotte.

already123
December 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I have met SEVERAL people who didnt know where NAU was, muchless had a football team

Get this, people on campus dont even know what the Dome is for...

footballdude
December 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I have met SEVERAL people who didnt know where NAU was, muchless had a football team

Those are the kind of things that piss you off as a program.

catamount man
December 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
WCU has a beat writer from the Asheville paper and he is good at covering the major sports at WCU. His sidekick, Keith Jarrett, is a Tarheel loving, ASU bandwagon riding, anti-WCU buffoon and lives for the chance to slag WCU.

The local rag (Sylva Herald) just basically reprints the stories from the WCU website once a week. THEY ARE A JOKE!!! Seems ever since Bleil got canned after the 2001 season, we have become less important to them. Then again, during the Briggs years, there wasn't much to report.

The Waynesville, NC paper, the Mountaineer-what irony?!-, actually does a decent job from time to time covering WCU, but the Smoky Mountains Times out of Bryson City covers NOTHING.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Wrong!!! The griz have the Missoulian and the Cats have the Chronicle, but for the most part the rest of the bigger newspapers in the state are fairly equal in coverage which isn't bad considering that the school of journalism is at UM.

I wasn't trying to hate on Montana State, its just that Montana=Iowa and Montana State=Iowa State

tandemlax
December 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Grew up in Charlottesville where, understandably, UVA coverage dominates. Each of the state FCS teams get their AP paragraph on Sunday mornings but, excepting the W&M-JMU semifinal in '04, not much else. Hope that the press is a little better in other parts of the state.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I wasn't trying to hate on Montana State, its just that Montana=Iowa and Montana State=Iowa State

You are going to get some pissed cats...xthumbsupx

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
You are going to get some pissed cats...xthumbsupx

Nah, I considered the source, passed it off due to ignorance, and said to hell with it.xsmiley_wix

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Nah, I considered the source, passed it off due to ignorance, and said to hell with it.xsmiley_wix

I guess the reason he thought UM gets more coverage is cause our team is usually still being covered this time of year.

ngineer
December 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
PA is all regionalized. Lehigh's "hometown paper" is viewed as the Morning Call based in Allentown; whereas Lafayette's 'hometown' paper is viewed as the Express-Times based in Easton, though both papers do a credible job covering both schools. No 'state-wide' newspapers in PA.

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 11:49 PM

That is pretty sad. I like Flagstaff and the Walkup Dome (but I have to admit with the way it's situated I thought it was aptly named only to find out it's named after a former NAU presidentxoopsx ).

DFW HOYA
December 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Georgetown's not even in a state and coverage is nonexistent. The Washington Post is located just 2.3 miles from campus and the paper sent a reporter for one game this season.

813Jag
December 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM
after years of fussing and complaining, we began to get recognition. But of course on the grand scale it's LSU then everybody else.

andy7171
December 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Towson and Morgan State get some play in the Baltimore Sun when we are winning, but if we aren't it's hard times to find an article about college football that's not about Maryland or Navy.

NSUDemon98
December 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM
In Louisiana...unless your school initials start with L and end with U...hell no.

already123
December 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
That is pretty sad. I like Flagstaff and the Walkup Dome (but I have to admit with the way it's situated I thought it was aptly named only to find out it's named after a former NAU presidentxoopsx ).

Yes, but still...what else would you have a dome for?!xconfusedx

woffordgrad94
December 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Wofford gets good coverage in the local paper and great writeups during football season from beat writer Todd Shanesy, and I really have no complaints with the coverage of the Terriers in the local Spartanburg Herald-Journal. I believe that WC coverage is slim to none in every other SC paper, however, which I guess is kind of understanding considering how small a school we are. So if you are a Terrier fan, it's best to live in Spartanburg (or access goupstate.com. the SHJ's website).

ASUG8
December 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Wofford gets good coverage in the local paper and great writeups during football season from beat writer Todd Shanesy, and I really have no complaints with the coverage of the Terriers in the local Spartanburg Herald-Journal. I believe that WC coverage is slim to none in every other SC paper, however, which I guess is kind of understanding considering how small a school we are. So if you are a Terrier fan, it's best to live in Spartanburg (or access goupstate.com. the SHJ's website).

I've only lived in SC for 6 months, but from what I can tell outside of Spartanburg Clemson and USC could combine for 0-24 on the season and still get all the coverage. Not much different in NC with Carolina/Duke - Wake, ECU, and NCSU get left by the wayside, and ASU gets nearly nothing.

UNHFootballAlum
December 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
New Hampshire High school sports gets way more coverage than UNH Football. It is shameful that until UNH reaches the playoffs that it is not covered as much as it should be

MaroonDoom
December 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
EKU gets better coverage from the Louisville paper. The Lexington KY. Herald Leader is horrible.

Mountain Panther
December 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Nope. Besides UT and A&M no one gets much respect over the state as a whole.

We think we have it bad in Iowa....can't imagine how tough it must be in Texas to gain any respect. Texas, Texas Tech, A & M, etc, etc, etc.

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
The Charlotte and Winston Salem papers cover the Apps more than the Raleigh paper without question. It is an after thought to get coverage in Raleigh. Most of those articles are usually 2-3 paragraphs splashed in with the rest of "lesser known non-ACC schools"!

Native
December 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Weber doesn't get the same attention in Utah that BYU or the Utes get for sure. They don't get as much as Utah state, but the fact they do talk about them and have some reporting isn't bad.

Yup! Weber actually had pretty good press this year, including a series of favorable articles from the local Ogden paper, the Standard, and even some good stories from the the SLC Tribune. xnodx

UCAMonkey
December 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
In Louisiana...unless your school initials start with L and end with U...hell no.

Louisiana Tech University? xlolx

Big Dawg
December 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
It's hard to get respect in Florida when EVERYBODY(FSU, UF, UM, USF, UCF, FIU, and FAU) is an FBS school and there are only 3 FCS schools.

bostonspider
December 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM
In reality UR gets pretty ok coverage from the Richmond Times Dispatch. Not great, as they still like to focus on UVA and VaTech, but not too bad, normally one or two articles a week plus game coverage. As another poster mentioned, having JMU, W&M, VMI, Liberty, Hampton, NSU and now ODU all in the FCS with UR allows for a better understanding, and a larger demand for coverage of the subdivision.

aceinthehole
December 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
100% unequivocal NO on our part.

We play in less than a DIII facility and everything done facility wise has been because of the Giants' training camp or by private funding.

All the while Buffalo and Stony Brook gets millions of $$$$$ flowinng their way for stadium expansions....

Ditto here!!!!

UCONN ... enough said.

SonuvaHenx2
December 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Wait, there are FCS teams in Ohio?

The only coverage any Ohio schools other than OSU and UC get is when they are playing against one of those two schools.

Basketball? Throw in Xavier, (and Dayton and Wright State to a lesser extent) and its the same story.

YaleFootballFan
December 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Ditto here!!!!

UCONN ... enough said.

Yup, in Connecticut its UConn 24/7. Bad enough it was basketball, now we have to deal with football.

Before UConn made the jump to I-A, both Yale and UConn got equal coverage in the state. The New Haven and Bridgeport newspapers leaned more towards Yale (mainly due to proximity) and the Hartford Courant leaned more towards UConn (but still gave Yale decent coverage).

Today the Bridgeport newspaper ignores Yale and has totally jumped on the UConn football bandwagon. The New Haven Register seems to give more emphasis on UConn. Only the Hartford Courant has stayed the same by continuing to give Yale decent coverage during the football season.

Go Buffalo! xwhistlex

JALMOND
December 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
In Oregon everything is the Ducks. Portland State is the largest state university enrollment-wise and everything concerns the Ducks. At least now with Glanville, our coverage is a little bit less than the Beavers but mostly Ducks. Now the Ducks want to turn the old White Stag "Welcome to Oregon" sign on the Portland waterfront to read "University of Oregon" even though the Ducks are in Eugene and the sign is only a mile from PSU's main campus. I guess it helps having your rich uncle Phil paying for everything and the rest of the state education system goes down the tubes.

Yup, Oregon is mostly Dicks (oops, typo, I mean Ducks). Really.

achrist70
December 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Portland State is the biggest college in Oregon? Something I didn't know, kind of surprises me.

813Jag
December 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM
It's hard to get respect in Florida when EVERYBODY(FSU, UF, UM, USF, UCF, FIU, and FAU) is an FBS school and there are only 3 FCS schools.
outside of the big 3 nobody gets coverage. In the tribune they put everybody on the same page. Anybody complaining about sharing a state with a BCS school should try sharing a city with one. xnonono2x

rudy1648
December 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM
In order of importance to most news outlets in North Carolina,,,,UNC, State, Wake, Duke, ECU. State manages to win 6 games and qualify for a Crap Bowl and their coach announces that they are the best team in the state on NC. He did not mention that they broke even on the season with 6 loses. Winston usually pays some respect to App, but Charlotte usually hides game results on the 3rd page of sports section. Raleigh,,,forget about it! Such is life in a state with 4 ACC schools and legislators passing laws making it mandatory that state schools play ECU. Will be interesting next season,,,we open with ECU. This season they started the season playing VaTech in Panthers stadium.

GSUhooligan
December 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
No.

It's a full sports section for UG, a page for tech and a small box for all the metro teams (KSU, GaSt, MB, Clark, etc).

The Savannah paper is a little better, but not much; not sure about Macon.

TV is even worse than print on coverage.

R3TRO
December 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
New Hampshire High school sports gets way more coverage than UNH Football. It is shameful that until UNH reaches the playoffs that it is not covered as much as it should be

Probably because their facilities are better... xsmhx But on a serious note, the UNH hockey team really gets all the attention and even recently they haven't been getting much.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Probably because their facilities are better... xsmhx But on a serious note, the UNH hockey team really gets all the attention and even recently they haven't been getting much.

Most of the NH newspapers are really hurting financially so we're lucky we get much coverage at all. Be grateful that all the football games are broadcast because that's not the case with UNH basketball. At least we're starting to see articles shared by multiple papers. Mike Zhe writes for the Portsmouth Herald and I've seen his articles in the Concord and Nashua papers. That way at least every NH paper gets a story after a game.

appstate1998
December 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM

does the georgia southern school newspaper even talk about the eagles or is it just UGA as well

unipanthers8907
December 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
UNI may get coverage on an "odd" year like last year, when Iowa and Iowa State both suck it up, and UNI can have an undefeated regular season. Unless those three things all happen, UNI doesnt get near the publicity they deserve.

ysubigred
December 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Wait, there are FCS teams in Ohio?

The only coverage any Ohio schools other than OSU and UC get is when they are playing against one of those two schools.

Basketball? Throw in Xavier, (and Dayton and Wright State to a lesser extent) and its the same story.

Eventhough YSU has more D1 NC's than OSU YSU is still non-existant. Mount Union our D3 power house and High school FB get's way more exposeure in the media xsmhx