PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win the Patriot League?

TheValleyRaider
April 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I know some of you have posted elsewhere, but the A-10, OVC and Gateway have started threads so I figured, "Hey, why not the Patriot League?"

Lehigh
Colgate
Lafayette
Fordham
Bucknell
Holy Cross
Georgetown

igo4uni
April 28th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I vote for Colgate.

Why, you ask?

Cuz u guys got more posters here on AGS than those other guys. :) :)

peace

igo4uni

DFW HOYA
April 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
One point on Georgetown a lot of people miss: Georgetown has gone through four OC's in its four years in the PL, and it often can't afford to retain the coaches.

It's very difficult for players to adjust to a new philosophy each year--one year, it was a pass-dominant offense, the next year it swung to the option. This year both the OC and DC return, and the Hoyas will be improved.

JoltinJoe
April 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Fordham. And since everyone is answering by saying why or why not, I'll only add:

You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, “Why not?"

-- George Bernard Shaw.

colgate13
April 29th, 2005, 08:06 AM
The team that will win the PL this year will be the team that can win a big game on the road.

Lehigh's got to win at Colgate.
Colgate's got to win at Lafayette.
Lafayette's got to win at Lehigh.
Bucknell's got to win at Lafayette and/or Colgate.
Fordham's got to win at Lafayette and/or Colgate.

I don't see Holy Cross or G'Town in the mix. Could be wrong, but if either team wins more than 2 league games I will be shocked.

Of course every game will be a battle but IMO the team that gets the auto-bid will be the one who wins the games from above.

JaxSinfonian
April 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Fordham

... because my company just hired a Fordham grad who's an alright guy. I'm hoping for a Fordham-JSU match in the playoffs ... hopefully in the second round.

89Hen
April 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell
Fordham
Lafayette
Georgetown
Holy Cross

colgate13
April 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell
Fordham
Lafayette
Georgetown
Holy Cross
:doh:

Don't let the Pard fans see that! We want them to feel like they're getting respect now!

:)

LBPop
April 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
One point on Georgetown a lot of people miss: Georgetown has gone through four OC's in its four years in the PL, and it often can't afford to retain the coaches.

It's very difficult for players to adjust to a new philosophy each year--one year, it was a pass-dominant offense, the next year it swung to the option. This year both the OC and DC return, and the Hoyas will be improved.

Shhhhhhh... The Hoyas start out with two league road games this fall. Don't want to alert too many folks that there may be some good things happening in DC. By the time they open at home vs. Brown, we'll all have a pretty good idea of what 2005 will look like. Of course, I am regularly accused of being ignorant and blindly optimistic. I freely admit to one of those. :rolleyes:

Fordham
April 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
The team that will win the PL this year will be the team that can win a big game on the road.

Lehigh's got to win at Colgate.
Colgate's got to win at Lafayette.
Lafayette's got to win at Lehigh.
Bucknell's got to win at Lafayette and/or Colgate.
Fordham's got to win at Lafayette and/or Colgate.

I don't see Holy Cross or G'Town in the mix. Could be wrong, but if either team wins more than 2 league games I will be shocked.

Of course every game will be a battle but IMO the team that gets the auto-bid will be the one who wins the games from above.

I agree with this.

And if include how important it is for these teams to also win at home, I agree even more ;).

Fordham
April 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I vote for Colgate.

Why, you ask?

Cuz u guys got more posters here on AGS than those other guys. :) :)

peace

igo4uni

Hey, we got 3 votes for Fordham (obviously including me) which gives us the most at this point. Since you're playing to the majority here, can we now get a switch out of you to join us on the dark side?

ISUMatt
April 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
OK Ill try...

1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette
3. Colgate
4. Bucknell
5. Fordham
6. Holy Cross
7. Georgetown

Fordham
April 29th, 2005, 11:29 AM
wtf?

Pard94
April 29th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Wow, 89Hen as us as low as fifth. That's great. You are all getting sleepy...Lafayette still sucks...sleepy...look past the Leopards..you are in my power...forget about little old Lafayette...last year was a fluke...sleepy. :)

ChickenMan
April 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Lafayette impressed me last year... if they have most of their talent back they should be able to make another run at a Pat League title in '05.

Fordham
April 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Lafayette impressed me last year... if they have most of their talent back they should be able to make another run at a Pat League title in '05.
I'd have to agree with that. Here's my take:

Lehigh
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate
Bucknell
G-town
Holy Cross

ISUMatt
April 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM
wtf?

I do not claim to know much about the PL!!! They did televise games on Empire Sports but now that channel is gone and unless some other channel on DirecTV picks up the PL, I wont see any!!!

Pard94
April 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I do not claim to know much about the PL!!! They did televise games on Empire Sports but now that channel is gone and unless some other channel on DirecTV picks up the PL, I wont see any!!!

All you need to know is Lafayette surprised everyone last year to split the title with Lehigh (even though we beat Lehigh head to head), and more importantly, we have an excellent chance to win it all again this year. Despite what the "nay sayers" might say (which I suspect would be...nay). Now you have all of the information you need to know about the PL. Oh, also Colgate is reloading NOT rebuilding. Don't get the two confused lest you raise the ire of one Colgate13. ;)

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 01:21 PM
So what's the deal with Bucknell this year? Didn't they make some noise last season?

colgate13
April 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Oh, also Colgate is reloading NOT rebuilding. Don't get the two confused lest you raise the ire of one Colgate13. ;)
:lmao:

You really want that T-shirt, don't you???? :p

I for one am pretty psyched for the league. When was the last time that 5 of the teams could make a run at the title - and hopefully hold their own outside of the league? Answer: NEVER!

Bucknell has to find someone to replace their one man show QB. They do that, and they're in the thick of it.

Pard94
April 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
:lmao:

You really want that T-shirt, don't you???? :p

I for one am pretty psyched for the league. When was the last time that 5 of the teams could make a run at the title - and hopefully hold their own outside of the league? Answer: NEVER!

Bucknell has to find someone to replace their one man show QB. They do that, and they're in the thick of it.

I would like that shirt. I was planning on constructing a Colgate fan to burn in effigy at the game this year. That would be the perfect attire for my Colgate dummy. :D

Seriously, it should be a great season for the PL. If, for whatever reason, the Leopards choke...I will be pissed! Especially after all of the smack talking I have been doing. Don't think it will happen though.

colgate13
April 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
It's going to take more than a little voodoo for the pards to break the Colgate losing streak... no one on that team has beaten, nor played with anyone that has beaten, a Colgate team.

Streaks like that just have to stay alive! :D

JoltinJoe
April 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM
So what's the deal with Bucknell this year? Didn't they make some noise last season?

Bucknell's strength was its offense, and it's losing some key players on that side of the ball.

And if you go by the maxim that a team that loses close games has the best chance of turning things around, watch out for Fordham. The Rams put an inexperienced but talented offense out on the field last year. They made many great plays, but they also made too many mistakes that cost games.

If Fordham gets its turnovers under control, that offense could be something this year.

RichH
April 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Hard to imagine LU not winning this coming year but I do see it as at least a 4 team race with LU, Gate, LC and FU. Bucknell will be a spoiler need a new QB

HensRock
April 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM

They do. The Pards were very young last year. I like their chances to repeat for the crown.

1. Lafayette
2. Lehigh
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Bucknell
6. Georgetown
7. Holy Cross

Marcus Garvey
April 29th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Frankly, I'd have to flip a coin to chose between Lafayette or Colgate. I believe Lehigh has the most talent in the PL, as they usually have the last 7 or so years. However, their coaching staff continues to be their own worst enemy. I'm amazed at how they can let their team go flat at the drop of hat.

ngineer
April 29th, 2005, 08:38 PM
The PL will be very competitive this year. The top four can almost be blanketed--each with some significant returnees and a few holes to be filled. Whoever fills those holes the best, and win the tough close game on the road as '13' notes will win. Although Lehigh's game at Fordham is virtually as tough as the visit to Hamilton. While I see Lehigh as having the best overall talent, it is not by much, and they have the toughest league schedule with most of their toughest games on the road. Lone exception is Lafayette. Bucknell will have an excellent defense, so if they can modestly replace their QB, they will also be a force to be reckoned with. I will not be surprised to see G'town win a couple--they have alot returning and with some consistency in the staff, that can translate into improvement, rather than relearning. That being said:
1. Lehigh 5-1
2. Lafayette 5-1 (another year for two PL's in the tourney)
3. Colgate 4-2
4. Fordham 3-3
5. Bucknell 2-4
6. G'town 2-4
7. Holy Cross 0-6

colgate13
April 29th, 2005, 09:47 PM
missed the Lehigh on the road vs. Fordham. That will be key too.

I'm not so sure that HC will go 0-6. Have you no faith in Gilmore? G'Town is on my ***** list since they lost to Monmouth. I'm not picking them for anything until they redeem themselves (just don't do it on 11/19 - OK? :D)

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Bucknell's strength was its offense, and it's losing some key players on that side of the ball.

And if you go by the maxim that a team that loses close games has the best chance of turning things around, watch out for Fordham. The Rams put an inexperienced but talented offense out on the field last year. They made many great plays, but they also made too many mistakes that cost games.

If Fordham gets its turnovers under control, that offense could be something this year.

Fordham scored 26 points a game and averaged 300 yds. of offense last year. The defense gave up 24 points a game and is depleted. All that with a not so tough schedule. That offense will have to be alot more productive if they are to challenge in the PL.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2005, 10:40 PM
It's going to take more than a little voodoo for the pards to break the Colgate losing streak... no one on that team has beaten, nor played with anyone that has beaten, a Colgate team.

Streaks like that just have to stay alive! :D

Colgate13, if you have been to as many Lehigh/Lafayette games as I have, you would know to *never* say that!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2005, 10:51 PM
A lot of folks on this thread are pooh-poohing Bucknell, and I think that's a big mistake. They have 2 super backs in Sarnor and Davis, and the triple-option running attack that isn't very QB-specific. Defensively they boast the PL Defensive player of the year Conover returning. Finally, PL return man of the year Dante Ross is coming back too.

I haven't made my picks yet (I'll be doing that on my blog in a couple months probably), but I am sure that Bucknell is going to be a top team.

From top to bottom the PL has been improving. Holy Cross' and Georgetown's programs are improving, and the top 5 schools are incredibly competitive. Gone are the days when you could count on Lehigh beating Fordham, Lafayette, and Bucknell every year. The gap between 1-5 in the PL this year, like last year, is very small.

JoltinJoe
April 30th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Fordham scored 26 points a game and averaged 300 yds. of offense last year. The defense gave up 24 points a game and is depleted. All that with a not so tough schedule. That offense will have to be alot more productive if they are to challenge in the PL.

If you saw or watched the games, you'd know these statistics tell about half the story.

First, the points allowed is deceptive, because our young offense frequently made mistakes and turnovers that put the "D" in very bad position. Ask Gate13, for example, about the 40 points Colgate scored last year.

Second, while the offensive numbers you cite look somewhat good, you don't cite turnovers. Anyone who saw the offense last year knows that, while it looked brilliant at times, particularly late in the season, it was inexperienced and made many mistakes. Those mistakes cost us games against Brown (a very good Ivy team), Rhode Island (an A-10 team), and Bucknell (a very good PL team). Turnovers also probably cost us the Colgate game. We were ahead until late in the game, when our long snapper went down. He was replaced by a freshman who sailed two snaps over the punter's head deep in Fordham territory. The Raiders scored two TDs resulting from those miscues for the margin of difference in the game. Our 5-6 record could have easily been 8-3 or 9-2.

Our offense last year was young and very inexperienced. Derric Daniels, our starting QB, didn't play a down of college ball prior to the first game last season, and we were also looking to replace the top back and wideout in school history. Our team definitely improved as the year went on, and with that experience, I don't see us dropping games in the manner we did last year.

As for the strength of schedule, we learned recently at one of our football functions that we have having a hard time scheduling A-10 and Ivy teams, who don't want to schedule us because we are perceived as being too strong an out-of-conference opponent. A-10 teams have tough enough schedules with their traditional OCC opponents and conference opponents. They are not looking to add a strong Fordham team (we had much more success with these teams when we weren't so good).

We, in fact, have sought a home-and-home with William & Mary, but were turned down. If you have any influence on that, please try to do something about it. We'd love a road trip to Williamsburg to spend a day on your amazing campus. And you guys would have a blast in New York and on our campus. The Bronx Zoo and New York Botanical Gardens are right across the street from our campus (so if you have kids, bring them along!), and some of the best Italian restaurants in America are within a five minute walk from our campus in the Belmont section -- one of the safest neighborhoods in America.

ngineer
April 30th, 2005, 01:58 PM
missed the Lehigh on the road vs. Fordham. That will be key too.

I'm not so sure that HC will go 0-6. Have you no faith in Gilmore? G'Town is on my ***** list since they lost to Monmouth. I'm not picking them for anything until they redeem themselves (just don't do it on 11/19 - OK? :D)

Yeah, remember how close they came to you two years ago. As for Gilmore--I think his intensity quotient is having trouble in Worcester. I think they're still going to be having some transition issues.

Tribe4SF
April 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM
JoltinJoe,

Turnovers or not, 300 yds a game is not much. Sounds like the offense did in your D a number of times.

Fordham will have a hard time getting games with W&M. With a I-A and VMI every year, that only leaves one other OOC game. We finish a two year series with Liberty this year, and everybody here wants a new series with Hampton. We also have Norfolk State close by and a long history of playing SoCon teams. The games against in-state opponents draw really well. I would love to come to the City for a Fordham game, but I doubt it will happen.

colgate13
April 30th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Joe's on about the Colgate game last year. I swore we were going to lose and even said that if Fordham scores again, I was turning the radio off. Lo and behold, a turnover here and we win going away and make it look easy.

That said, Chris Brown wasn't even supposed to play in that game and ended up starting. Gutsy! We have to find a way to replace him!

GannonFan
May 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
A lot of folks on this thread are pooh-poohing Bucknell, and I think that's a big mistake. They have 2 super backs in Sarnor and Davis, and the triple-option running attack that isn't very QB-specific.

I've never seen Bucknell play in the last decade, but the triple option, which I have seen, is actually greatly dependent on the quality of the QB. He's really the key to what happens on the play, both from his reads to his overall ability to be a threat. If he can't pivot and get outside the offensive tackles the pitch option to those speedy super backs is pretty much non-existent, and if he can't turn it upfield on his own to be a threat then you're pretty much limited to a full back dive. The QB is really the linchpin in that offense.

Fordham
May 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
A lot of folks on this thread are pooh-poohing Bucknell, and I think that's a big mistake. They have 2 super backs in Sarnor and Davis, and the triple-option running attack that isn't very QB-specific. Defensively they boast the PL Defensive player of the year Conover returning. Finally, PL return man of the year Dante Ross is coming back too.
What impact do you think their lack of representation here has to do with that? I definitely feel like I know Colgate and Lehigh (primarily), and also Lafayette to a lesser extent, much better from the posters here and on the PL and individual school message boards. We each get to put the most positive spin on things for our schools and Bucknell and, really, Holy Cross, don't have that here. At least Cross has their own board. The Bucknell voy board is like watching the tumbleweeds go by in Hamilton, NY. There is just NOONE there!

Also, I agree with Gannon about the QB needing to be the man when it comes to that kind of "O". He needs to be the best athlete on the field for them. Remember that kid from Air Force named Bo something? That guy ran it as well as I've seen it run in the past decade or so.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
What impact do you think their lack of representation here has to do with that? I definitely feel like I know Colgate and Lehigh (primarily), and also Lafayette to a lesser extent, much better from the posters here and on the PL and individual school message boards. We each get to put the most positive spin on things for our schools and Bucknell and, really, Holy Cross, don't have that here. At least Cross has their own board. The Bucknell voy board is like watching the tumbleweeds go by in Hamilton, NY. There is just NOONE there!

Also, I agree with Gannon about the QB needing to be the man when it comes to that kind of "O". He needs to be the best athlete on the field for them. Remember that kid from Air Force named Bo something? That guy ran it as well as I've seen it run in the past decade or so.

Army's QB in the mid-to-late 90's also ran it pretty darn well too (the last time Army was any good).

Point well taken on the QB's ability to run the triple-option offense - it does take a good QB. My main point is that: it's not like Bucknell is devoid of talent. Conover and Ross are going to give coaches fits next year. And Landis has brought in some very good athletes. RB Kenny Davis was rescued from St. Mary's program, and I *know* he's good.

HC's voy board, if I remember, mostly moans about the lack of football scholarships, and "gee-if-only-we-could-play-in-the-A10" and then they'd be back in the era of Lockbaum and Fennerty! Poor HC has really suffered football-wise the past 10 years, but especially the last 5, so who can blame them for lack of enthusiasm. I'm actually rooting for Gilmore to build HC into a contender once again.

I do think that lack of representation is a factor in under/overrating teams, especially on this board. You'd think that Bucknell would have more football fans, though, in general.

Fordham
May 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Agreed on Bucknell having some great talent coming back. It should once again be a very interesting year in the PL.

And HC has a non-voy board that is more similar in format to this one, where football has it's own section as well as b-ball and Olympic sports, etc. It's not incredibly active in f-ball, but at least there's activity ... and a hot-button topic gets hit pretty well with posts. I can't find any type of representation for B-nell anywhere or on any board, but given that I only found this a few months back it's very likely that their supporters are out there and just unaware of this place or others. It's really the details that an insider provides as to spring/training camp battles and the quality of last year's backups who are expected to start this year that we're all missing from our Bucknell analysis.

colgate13
May 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Bucknell is MIA on pretty much any board. I think there is one supporter who posts on the voy PL board KenZ, but that's it.

I think Bucknell needs a good QB to step to compete for the title. Their defense brings back some stars, but it also loses 6 starters. They should have some decent backups coming back, but they've got a little bit here, a little bit there... only time will tell if it is enough.

I really think there are some HC lurkers on this board but they don't post out of embarrassment. They talk pigskin now and again on their board (during the season it's more active) but it is true: the lament about days gone by and how the PL killed their football program. Sad really.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Bucknell is MIA on pretty much any board. I think there is one supporter who posts on the voy PL board KenZ, but that's it.

I think Bucknell needs a good QB to step to compete for the title. Their defense brings back some stars, but it also loses 6 starters. They should have some decent backups coming back, but they've got a little bit here, a little bit there... only time will tell if it is enough.

I really think there are some HC lurkers on this board but they don't post out of embarrassment. They talk pigskin now and again on their board (during the season it's more active) but it is true: the lament about days gone by and how the PL killed their football program. Sad really.

*shameless plug* Of course, you'll want to read my exclusive Patriot League "spring wrapup" later this month, and "PL predictions" before PL Media Day in August... :D

I think the gap between 1-5, like last year, is very small. Lafayette came very close to winning the PL title outright last year. Bucknell could have easily won the title had they stayed healthy and gotten a bit of luck versus Lafayette. And a young Fordham team last year strides last year and nearly took out Colgate and Lehigh.

In reality, if any of the top 5 schools won the PL title this year, it wouldn't be a shock. Now if HC or Georgetown won the title, that would be news. And I'll bet that HC and Georgetown pull off an upset or two in the league this year too.

colgate13
May 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
In reality, if any of the top 5 schools won the PL title this year, it wouldn't be a shock. Now if HC or Georgetown won the title, that would be news. And I'll bet that HC and Georgetown pull off an upset or two in the league this year too.

We're seeing eye to eye on this one...

Which, of course, you know means... "experts", even self proclaimed experts, are wrong most of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in reality, either HC or G'Town is winning the whole thing or one of the 5 teams that can win it will blow everyone else away.

:eek:

Fordham
May 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
small request - see if you can get a lewisburg-based reporter to handle b-nell updates on your blog when you get the chance, 13.

Fordham
May 2nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
unless LFN beats you to it.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm not a fan of the Crusaders, far from it, but their old time fans do have memories of being a major player in NCAA Sports and their annual season ending pigskin battle with Boston College. But that really was a LONG time ago! Might be 50 years since the glory days of Cousy, Heinhson, Palazzi and Perry the Elder! And it must be close to 25 years since HC was remotely competitive with BC in football.

And to blame it on the PL is not accepting the truth that their administration made fundamental changes in their athletic philosophy. They could have joined the Big East back in its inception, but they opted for a different definition of student-athlete.

ngineer
May 2nd, 2005, 07:44 PM

Hey, don't forget our Hoya friends on the board! ;)

ngineer
May 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
I do think that lack of representation is a factor in under/overrating teams, especially on this board. You'd think that Bucknell would have more football fans, though, in general.

Not surprising when you attend games at their campus. Beautiful place and a nice stadium (about 10-12,000 horseshoe), but the last time Lehigh played there on a gorgeous sunny October day, about 7,000 showed and at least half were Lehigh fans. Bucknell excels on the athletic fields, courts, etc, but they just don't always get a vociferous following, although their b-ball team does get some excitement going in the gym.

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
Lehigh travels well but, to their credit, they are the most centrally located school, too. All but one PL school is within 4 hours of the campus.

In fact, Lehigh fans are really the only ones that travel to Washington, where the lack of road crowds never helps attendance numbers. Tough to get many Red Raider fans to drive 370 miles for a 1 pm start, or 400 miles from Worcester.

Fordham
May 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hey, don't forget our Hoya friends on the board! ;)
funny - I thought of that and it wasn't a slight at all as I enjoy the hoya contributions here. one thing I'd throw out, though, is that we don't tend to get the detailed reviews of the hoya program that we tend to get from gate, lehigh and (I would say that you guys get) from Fordham here. I'm looking forward to getting more info on the program, how things went in the spring as well as some info on the new starters, etc down in DC.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
The public will read them in the I-AA.org Magazine 2005 Preview won't they? That comes out in June/July.

That's right - the preview will cover it. :cool:

Before that, though, I will have a spring updateon my blog... Now if only I can get a mole who lives in Lewisburg, PA... unless colgate13 beats me to the punch. :eek:

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
On the recruiting front, Georgetown did well given the recruiting gap it faces with other PL schools. As many PL fans are aware, Georgetown's budget is about one-third that of most PL schools, which translates into less grant packages. It also has a higher academic index to contend with, but overall the imbalance in schoalrship money is big a drawback. With the rocky financial condition of the school, that's not about to change, but the recruits show some promise, including a top QB out of New Jersey and a lineman from Kansas that opted for Georgetown over Kansas and K-State.

Spring practice was diminished by lots of rain and the general lack of available field space for practices. There is only one 100 yard wide field left on the entire campus, which also had to host men's and women's lacrosse. The Hoyas' current field is being dug up this spring, while its old location, Kehoe Field, is no longer available in playing condition. The spring game was moved to a downtown high school because of the lack of space available.
Other sports have it worse--baseball must play 40 minutes from campus and there is no track for the track team at all.

Georgetown has suffered the past few years with a lack of in-game experience by players and a lack of consistency on the coaching staff--four different OC's in four years, for example. This year's team returns 9 or 10 defensive starters and a good number on offense, including its first ever 1000 yard rusher. The option offense struggled all last season but the team will be better prepared this time---it is not easy to go from a spread passing game to option in one year.

Georgetown gets three of its first four on the road and opens at home with Brown on 9/17. If it can get through the first four weeks, it gets four of its last five PL opponents at home, which won't hurt. It also gets Fordham at home for the first time in three years on 10/22. Let's just say we're due in that series.

Fordham
May 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
thanks for the write-up, hoya!

oh, and lfn, too funny with the "whiny UMASS" line from the Lehigh-Colgate write-up. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
oh, and lfn, too funny with the "whiny UMASS" line from the Lehigh-Colgate write-up. :D

Thanks! If you'll remember, the minute it was announced that UMass drew at Colgate in round 1, their coach (who was out the door at that point anyway, going to N'Eastern) railed at length against how unfair it was that they had to travel on the road in the first round! What a complete whiner!

Compare to JMU the following year, who got a raw deal but instead used it as motivation to win the NCAA Championship.

Thanks for the props! :cool:

Tribe4SF
May 3rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks! If you'll remember, the minute it was announced that UMass drew at Colgate in round 1, their coach (who was out the door at that point anyway, going to N'Eastern) railed at length against how unfair it was that they had to travel on the road in the first round! What a complete whiner!

Compare to JMU the following year, who got a raw deal but instead used it as motivation to win the NCAA Championship.

JMU didn't whine? You coulda fooled me. Mickey Mathews cried like crazy about having to travel to Lehigh. And I don't blame him.

LBPop
May 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
funny - I thought of that and it wasn't a slight at all as I enjoy the hoya contributions here. one thing I'd throw out, though, is that we don't tend to get the detailed reviews of the hoya program that we tend to get from gate, lehigh and (I would say that you guys get) from Fordham here. I'm looking forward to getting more info on the program, how things went in the spring as well as some info on the new starters, etc down in DC.
Speaking for myself, I will avoid putting out a bunch of pre-season fluff until the Hoyas actually do something on the field. Like a lot of fans, I can cite four or five games that they "shoulda, or coulda won if only..." Well, if they "shoulda" or "coulda" won those games, they were LOSSES!

I think there is legitimate reason for some optimism in DC, but the best thing about football is that talent alone doesn't win games. If these kids simply decide to just win some games, they have the talent to do it. If they fall into their recent patterns, we fans will be left with some more "shouldas and couldas". As our triskaidekaphobic friend once said, "...they have to learn how to win." I can tell you that a lot of them already know how to play.

JoltinJoe
May 4th, 2005, 06:04 AM

?

I think you mean to say Whipple was on his way to the NFL. He took a job as an assistant with Pittsburgh.

The N'Eastern coach, Dan Brown, was hired to replace him. But that's another story in itself.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 4th, 2005, 07:42 AM
?

I think you mean to say Whipple was on his way to the NFL. He took a job as an assistant with Pittsburgh.

The N'Eastern coach, Dan Brown, was hired to replace him. But that's another story in itself.

You're right. It was a convoluted saga. In any case he was out the door at that point - you knew they were going to be his last games. He didn't just whine about the selection committee - he also publicly blasted the A-10's representative on the committee specifically. Absolutely no class.

The Dan Brown thing is indeed another story.

Fordham
May 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM
ugh! one thing I will throw out there that is going to be a challenge for us this year is the lopsided away - home schedule we have due to the reconstruction of Coffee field. This one could leave a mark:

Fordham 2005 Schedule (http://www.fordhamsports.com/QuickInfoFiles/Football/FBSched05.pdf)

(all away)
9/3 - @ URI
9/10 - @ Duquesne
9/17 - Columbia (listed as home but will likely be at their field)
9/24 - @ Lafayette
10/8 - @ Brown
10/15 - @ Colgate
10/22 - @ G-town

(all home)
10/29 - Holy Cross
11/5 - Bucknell
11/12 - Lehigh
11/19 - SUNY - Albany

we actually did something similar in the 90 season when the new stands were being installed at Coffey.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM
When will you know about the locale for Fordham/Columbia? I am planning to be at that game (and will probably write a I-AA diary on it).

What are the renovations planned at Coffey field again? Are you adding visiting stands?

colgate13
May 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I thought it was Field Turf for Coffey...

Fordham
May 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
When will you know about the locale for Fordham/Columbia? I am planning to be at that game (and will probably write a I-AA diary on it). The consensus is that it'll be at Columbia's Wein Stadium (http://gocolumbialions.collegesports.com/facilities/colm-wien.html). I think they'll leave the final word on it until the last minute, though, since there's a chance the field will be ready by then and they still want the option of putting the game in the Bronx. Someone else may know more but that's what I've got for now. If I hear anything new on it I'll either post it or PM you. And that's great that you're covering the game. As we get closer to game day, confirm you're still coming and maybe we can grab a beer prior to gametime.

FYI, that one has been covered on TV (Yes network) the past 2 years as well.

What are the renovations planned at Coffey field again? Are you adding visiting stands?
I wish. They're just installing field turf and doing some other renovations on the adjacent baseball field. The drainage on the old field was horrendous, so this'll be great. Plus, we've become more and more of a speed based team, so this should help us out at home v. the slow turf we always had there.

Interestingly, we'll have 2 games under our belt by the 17th, while this'll be Columbia's opener.

JoltinJoe
May 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
The consensus is that it'll be at Columbia's Wein Stadium (http://gocolumbialions.collegesports.com/facilities/colm-wien.html). I think they'll leave the final word on it until the last minute, though, since there's a chance the field will be ready by then and they still want the option of putting the game in the Bronx. Someone else may know more but that's what I've got for now. If I hear anything new on it I'll either post it or PM you. And that's great that you're covering the game. As we get closer to game day, confirm you're still coming and maybe we can grab a beer prior to gametime.

FYI, that one has been covered on TV (Yes network) the past 2 years as well.

I wish. They're just installing field turf and doing some other renovations on the adjacent baseball field. The drainage on the old field was horrendous, so this'll be great. Plus, we've become more and more of a speed based team, so this should help us out at home v. the slow turf we always had there.

Interestingly, we'll have 2 games under our belt by the 17th, while this'll be Columbia's opener.

The Coffey Field renovation/fieldturf installation is weeks ahead of schedule. The Fordham/Columbia game is most likely going to be at Rose Hill.

colgate13
May 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
The Coffey Field renovation/fieldturf installation is weeks ahead of schedule. The Fordham/Columbia game is most likely going to be at Rose Hill.
:hurray: for Fordham!

ngineer
May 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM
ugh! one thing I will throw out there that is going to be a challenge for us this year is the lopsided away - home schedule we have due to the reconstruction of Coffee field. This one could leave a mark:

Fordham 2005 Schedule (http://www.fordhamsports.com/QuickInfoFiles/Football/FBSched05.pdf)

(all away)
9/3 - @ URI
9/10 - @ Duquesne
9/17 - Columbia (listed as home but will likely be at their field)
9/24 - @ Lafayette
10/8 - @ Brown
10/15 - @ Colgate
10/22 - @ G-town

(all home)
10/29 - Holy Cross
11/5 - Bucknell
11/12 - Lehigh
11/19 - SUNY - Albany

we actually did something similar in the 90 season when the new stands were being installed at Coffey.

What?! Is the stadium now on your 'grounds'? :D

Fordham
May 4th, 2005, 07:05 PM
<rim shot>

DFW HOYA
May 6th, 2005, 06:22 AM
What else is being done to Jack Coffey Field other than the turf? Seating?

Fordham
May 6th, 2005, 07:26 AM
yes, seating ...

but unfortunately for the baseball field only.