PDA

View Full Version : Richmond @ #3 Northern Iowa

Pages : [1] 2 3

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
So...who wins?

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I know I am a bit of a homer, but this defense playing in the Dome is very challenging.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Has Richmond ever played indoors?

UNIFanSince1983
December 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Well any team that takes App to the woodshed deserves a lot of respect!

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Well any team that takes App to the woodshed deserves a lot of respect!

Agreed

unigriff
December 6th, 2008, 09:59 PM
THe good news is Richmond is more of a running team..UNIs strength. Richmond better get their passing game going :) SHould be a doozie!

Eight Legger
December 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think I can safely say that UNI will not be scoring 30 on us. So, I like our odds. Our offense left a lot of points on the field today (2 missed FG, 1 missed XP and a few other opportunities) and we still scored 33 and forced 7 turnovers (the second game in the last three that we've done so).

NovaHater
December 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Has Richmond ever played indoors?

What does that have to do with anything ?

Had UD ever played indoors ?

Chi Panther
December 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Had UNI ever played a 1st round QB....????

ValleyChamp
December 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Bitter?

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Playing at 75 degrees with about 15 feet between the sideline and the concrete decapitator (and the fans) does get to some teams. Plus, I have a feeling we will be playing on Friday, which means you travel on Thursday. That's why we are over 80% at home.

And, yes DE used to play indoors regularly in Atlantic City, correct?

pantheralum16
December 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
All I know is we better have gotten all of our turnovers out of our system tonite or we will be in trouble...

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Playing at 75 degrees with about 15 feet between the sideline and the concrete decapitator (and the fans) does get to some teams. Plus, I have a feeling we will be playing on Friday, which means you travel on Thursday. That's why we are over 80% at home.

They have likely never played in a facility this loud, or with this kind of surface.

wkuhillhound
December 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Go UNI beat Richmond! xthumbsupx

Come on Panthers for the Cap'n sake. :D

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Richmond's defense is much faster and far better than what UNI saw vs UNH and they will get heat on the UNI QB.. something UNH could not accomplish. As for the offense.. UR's running game is better than UNH's and their QB (Ward) is very competent with both his arm and feet and he's not prone to turnovers.

UNI will have to play much better next week in order to beat the Spiders.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
My head says Richmond crushes them in their own crib. Hopefully Crone is back. But we've been saying that for 3 weeks.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Richmond's defense is much faster and far better than what UNI saw vs UNH and they will get heat on the UNI QB.. something UNH could not accomplish. As for the offense.. UR's running game is better than UNH's and their QB (Ward) is very competent with both his arm and feet and he's not prone to turnovers.

UNI will have to play much better next week in order to beat the Spiders.This may have been one of the, if not the, worst performance overall for the Panthers.

I don't think the speed will shock this team next week like it appeared to this week

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
My head says Richmond crushes them in their own crib. Hopefully Crone is back. But we've been saying that for 3 weeks.

I'm sure it's your head talking - and I hope your team agrees. xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
December 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
They have likely never played in a facility this loud, or with this kind of surface.

They've played in Wa-Griz in December and if its louder at N. Iowa I'd be surprised. xnodx

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
They've played in Wa-Griz in December and if its louder at N. Iowa I'd be surprised. xnodx
Prepare to be surprised.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
This defense will not be what you are accustomed to.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
This defense will not be what you are accustomed to.That's good. Neither will be the dome or our defense for you. Or the 230lb FB we line up at QB

ValleyChamp
December 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
This defense will not be what you are accustomed to.

It wont be tough?

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
That's perfect for the two pro-prospect DE's we feature.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
That's perfect for the two pro-prospect DE's we feature.So each team has two NFL prospects on their DLine?

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Gimme a break on the dome, too. This team has emerged from The Rock.

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Prepare to be surprised.

UNI will need a lot more than a loud crowd to beat Richmond and trust me.. you haven't seen any defense this year like UR's.. just ask ASU... :p

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
What is ASU's winning % at The Rock. I know UNI is around 81% in The Dome

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Richmond can run or pass, but likes to run first, correct?

Bettina90
So each team has two NFL prospects on their DLine?

You are tempting me to fly out there to drink a beer with you before the game. Without an ironclad prediction...

Mountain Panther
I picked UNI. :o

Surprised at the results so far, figured Richmond would be killing us in the voting.

ChickenMan

They said the same thing last year.. before Delaware won in the 'Dome'...

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Unless I'm reading past schedules wrong, the players on this Richmond team hasn't, so unless they have a super secret room where such knowledge is handed down, they haven't played in a facility like this, on a surface like this.

The UNI-Dome has an unnatural advantage. There are few venues anywhere that are as loud as that place can get.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
You are tempting me to fly out there to drink a beer with you before the game. Without an ironclad prediction...
I'll be outside willing to drink a beer with anyone. You fly up send me a PM and I will buy you beer for the tailgate.

ValleyChamp
December 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Stop with the Delaware crap. Teams that are only watching at this point, cannot talk crap.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I picked UNI. :o

Surprised at the results so far, figured Richmond would be killing us in the voting.
This poll doens't matter. UR will kill us on the scoreboard.........................xcoffeex

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I'll be outside willing to drink a beer with anyone. You fly up send me a PM and I will buy you beer for the tailgate.

I am seriously tempted but will likely pass. I am sure UNI is a great spot but you gotta pick your spots for road trips and in this economy. $800 or so bucks saved is $800 bucks earned. Especially if I actually want to give my kids a shot at an education at my alma mater down the road.

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM

One of 3 playoff teams ever to do that. I guess you could try and use that to show it's not a large task, but you're going to have to invent some new numbering system. xsmiley_wix

We're proud of our facility and home field advantage. We should be. Anybody with better than an .800 home winning percentage would feel the same way. You can scoff at that kind of pride, but it's not UNI fans who are going to come out looking foolish.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I am seriously tempted but will likely pass. I am sure UNI is a great spot but you gotta pick your spots for road trips and in this economy. $800 or so bucks saved is $800 bucks earned. Especially if I actually want to give my kids a shot at an education at my alma mater down the road.
Good call on the education part.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I am not sure where the "Stonewall Defense" tag came from, but I like it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
$800 or so bucks saved is $800 bucks earned. Especially if I actually want to give my kids a shot at an education at my alma mater down the road.

Glad i don't have or want kids. xrotatehx But $800 is a decent chunk of change to blowing on a non championship football game, especially around the holidays.

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Stop with the Delaware crap. Teams that are only watching at this point, cannot talk crap.

Since when is pointing out a 'fact'.. crap.. many UNI fans said the same thing last year.. oh UD had never played in the Dome and could never be prepared for the noise. Well UD won.. 39-27 and that ain't 'crap' and as I said.. UNI will need a lot more than a DOME and loud crowd in order to beat Richmond... ;)

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Since when is pointing out a 'fact'.. crap.. many UNI fans said the same thing last year.. oh UD had never played in the Dome and could never be prepared for the noise. Well UD won.. 39-27 and that ain't 'crap' and as I said.. UNI will need a lot more than a DOME and loud crowd in order to beat Richmond... ;)

Obviously. Nobody has or is saying otherwise. The facility and home field is meaningful (hence all the screamin' and hollarin' on a board like this over seeds). It doesn't win a game on it's own, but it can have a significant impact.

The record shows what you folks did a year ago was a significant accomplishment.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Since when is pointing out a 'fact'.. crap.. many UNI fans said the same thing last year.. oh UD had never played in the Dome and could never be prepared for the noise. Well UD won.. 39-27 and that ain't 'crap' and as I said.. UNI will need a lot more than a DOME and loud crowd in order to beat Richmond... ;)To say the noise didn't affect UD is crap though.

Big Al
December 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
UNI will need a lot more than a DOME and loud crowd in order to beat Richmond... ;)

Good thing those players on the field have the goods to make it happen.

Richmond is by all means a great team and I, for one, don't see a W as a given.

That said, I would like to thank Delaware for winning last year and saving us the embarrassment of getting pantsed like you guys did in the NC.

;D

ValleyChamp
December 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM

Well the dome does not win or lose the game. It makes it very difficult to win the game for opposing teams, but it is not responsible for who wins. I'm sure all the UD players from last year's team will tell you that it was an extremely difficult environment for an opposing team to win.

Now, leave please...

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM

That said, I would like to thank Delaware for winning last year and saving us the embarrassment of getting pantsed like you guys did in the NC.

;D

and Richmond will do the same for you this year... :p

Big Al
December 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
and Richmond will do the same for you this year... :p

How 'bout we just let the teams play the game and see where it all shakes out?

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM

;D

Seriously?

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Seriously?

A sense of humor makes life easier. xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
How 'bout we just let the teams play the game and see where it all shakes out?

if we do only that.. we may as well close down 'AGS'.. xrolleyesx

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM
C'mon. He makes it seem like he's happy you guys lost.

B&G
December 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I picked UNI. I hope it doesn't seem like sour grapes. My reasoning is as simple as this... I don't know if UR was so hyped up for revenge against ASU that it could lead to coming out a little flat against UNI. This should be a real slugfest and I'm not sure who I want to see win. It'd be great for me as an App fan to see the Spiders to go on and win the whole thing. It makes it a little more palatable to lose to the eventual champs. Then again, I developed a respect for UNI during the '05 title game and would like to see them win one. Best of luck to both teams.

Daved
December 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM
What is ASU's winning % at The Rock. I know UNI is around 81% in The DomeBefore the Richmond game ASU was 41-1 at the ROCK.

URMite
December 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Before the Richmond game ASU was 41-1 at the ROCK.

I get 42-1 starting in 2003. But don't know when the Rock was built or if all games in Boone have been there.

TITLEIST
December 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Old chicken boy is getting really defensive tonight. Disipointed he isn't a panther fan yet..............IN TIME SON IN TIME!!!!!!!

Big Al
December 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
C'mon. He makes it seem like he's happy you guys lost.

Not at all. That loss sucked.

However, I do understand some UD fan's motivation for repeatedly bringing it up -- the highlight of the 2008 season was when they beat UNI in December 2007.

It was all downhill from there.

Daved
December 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I get 42-1 starting in 2003. But don't know when the Rock was built or if all games in Boone have been there.
You are probably right--in the last 5 years an opposing team loss was a given if it was played at the ROCK.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Eh, screw it, I'll say it first. Richmond rolls UNI up and smokes them. 38-17, Spiders.

Chi Panther
December 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM

KC Keeler has also said that is the best FCS/I-AA team Delware has ever beat. Congrats on the win. Its still a tough place to play. I hope you attended and really appreciate what you are saying.

DB_Atlantic10
December 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Prepare to be surprised.
This place won't effect UR the least bit.....JMU and UDel have two of the loudest places in the FCS and UR have won at both on a regular.... just hope UNI is ready to play for UR will not be intimidated.....

Chi Panther
December 6th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I really like the fact that Richmond is flying high on a HUGE win.

I'm glad UNI won a squeeker....this will keep them very motivated this week.

Should be a great game.xthumbsupx

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
This place won't effect UR the least bit.....JMU and UDel have two of the loudest places in the FCS and UR have won at both on a regular.... just hope UNI is ready to play for UR will not be intimidated.....UD was affected last year the first half. Flacco had to use a TO or 2 in the first quarter and had to take a couple false start penalties because the line couldn't hear him.

He said so himself after the game. I don' thave the quote in front of me, but it was something to the effect of "This place is damn loud and my lineman couldn't hear me yelling at them when I was right in their ear."

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah i don't buy the Dome factor either. Maybe the first few minutes it takes some getting used to but at the end of the day it's mostly B.S. The top 10-15 teams each year at this level or any level can go into any hostile enviroment and win.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Looking at the team stats, the teams look very evenly matched in almost every category. The only thing that jumps out is the number of sacks allowed by UR is 52 (not counting this game) versus 11 for UNI. Both have running QBs, so not much of a difference in style their.

UR DEF has produced more sacks 44 vs 29, but UNI has more tackles for a loss 43 vs UR's 33, so about a push.

I think it is going to be a crazy repeat of the game tonight.

Any significant injuries to UR's starters?

UNI QB Grace had an yet to be announced shoulder injury on the non passing arm. Could have been a stinger, shoulder separation, or a helmet right on the arm. Uncertain.

UNI RB Lewis looked to have his ankle tweaked again.

Anything I am missing?

Chi Panther
December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
When Lewis and Howard were out of the game....the UNI offense didn't have a senior on the field. Lots of young talent.xthumbsupx

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Swift not playing then?

TITLEIST
December 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Panther Fans just realize that no one is affected by the dome.....everyone comes into here without a problem......east coast FCS arrogance is starting to wear on me.... just can't wait till you all come here and "roll over" us like so many before. ask NH how easy it is!!!!

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I really like the fact that Richmond is flying high on a HUGE win.

I'm glad UNI won a squeeker....this will keep them very motivated this week.

Should be a great game.xthumbsupx

I just hope that this victory didn't take too much out of the Panthers.

Spiders05
December 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Not sure where you saw we gave up 52 sacks...only 24, including ASU.

May be missing our starting FB Crone and backup White.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
NCAA stats (http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=575)

Labeled "sacks allowed"

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Panther Fans just realize that no one is affected by the dome.....everyone comes into here without a problem......east coast FCS arrogance is starting to wear on me.... just can't wait till you all come here and "roll over" us like so many before. ask NH how easy it is!!!!

Arrogance?? What are you talking about? There's a bunch of great homefield advantages in FCS. However teams go into those enviroments and win.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Uugh - just re-read it. Erase, erase erase.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Was reading the ranking, rather than the per game stat - UR 1.77 per game, UNI .92 per game.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Still, otherwise, very close to a statical push.

Chi Panther
December 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Swift not playing then?

oops, howard junior and swift senior....I just mixed them. one senior on the field

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Looking at the team stats, the teams look very evenly matched in almost every category. The only thing that jumps out is the number of sacks allowed by UR is 52 (not counting this game) versus 11 for UNI. Both have running QBs, so not much of a difference in style their.

UR DEF has produced more sacks 44 vs 29, but UNI has more tackles for a loss 43 vs UR's 33, so about a push.

I think it is going to be a crazy repeat of the game tonight.

Any significant injuries to UR's starters?

UNI QB Grace had an yet to be announced shoulder injury on the non passing arm. Could have been a stinger, shoulder separation, or a helmet right on the arm. Uncertain.

UNI RB Lewis looked to have his ankle tweaked again.

Anything I am missing?

Grace got a stinger, I could tell by the way that he was acting and having a few of them myself

appmountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Richmond is going to win this game.

TITLEIST
December 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Arrogance?? What are you talking about? There's a bunch of great homefield advantages in FCS. However teams go into those enviroments and win.

You are exactly right and some of those teams just happen to be from some other part of the FCS counrty. All I am saying is the dome is a great place to watch a football game whichever side you are on. I just find it hard to believe that a certain percentage of people on this board show such a lack of respect for what UNI has done in the past, and how difficult it is to come in here and get a W.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Pipe down, Pro-V1, Richmond Rolls.

Ronin
December 7th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Will be an exciting game -- a win for UNI all depends on the offense showing up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Somewhat torn on this one. Lehigh recruits heavily against Richmond/W&M in NOVA and the D.C area. It would be a big recruiting tool for a school like Richmond if they win Saturday. However it would go to show what a small, private, very good academic school can do with scholarships.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Homer pick for me.

UR's defense is really playing at a high level right now flying around and creating turnovers. If UNI does not have their QB that is a huge loss this time of the year. I know that it's tough to go into the Dome and win, but it's also very tough to go the Rock. London will have the Spiders grounded and ready to play focused football.

Native
December 7th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Spiders!xnodx

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Eh, screw it, I'll say it first. Richmond rolls UNI up and smokes them. 38-17, Spiders.

You gotta be f***ing joking. If you pass like you did today, don't expect us to cough up 7 turnovers like App State. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Homer pick for me.

. If UNI does not have their QB that is a huge loss this time of the year. I

Our backup played 3 road games. He'll be ok. Ask UNH fans.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Not suprised to see the typical CAA bulls***. Glad the teams play the game instead of the fans arguing the winner.

We were told Maine would win, we were told UNH would win.

Richmond will not win with a passing performance like today. Dude was throwing into double coverage all day. 4-13 first half.

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Our backup played 3 road games. He'll be ok. Ask UNH fans.Is your main RB going to be back next week? I heard he was out at the end. xconfusedx

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Is your main RB going to be back next week? I heard he was out at the end. xconfusedx

I don't remember him being out at all today. We run a 2 back system with Corey Lewis #1 - speed and Derrick Law #31 - power.

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I don't remember him being out at all today. We run a 2 back system with Corey Lewis #1 - speed and Derrick Law #31 - power.I thought it was Lewis that went out, or at least that's what I gathered from listening to the UNH broadcast.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Face it UNI we stand no chance. We have never had a chance all season. UNH beat SIU who beat us so they were way better.

But saying UR forced 7 turnovers today, somebody must not have watched us force 6?

Either way I have a lot of respect for what Richmond did at the Rock today. Spider fans better not expect to run for 238 yards against us though. Richmond fans are right we haven't seen a defense like theirs, but they haven't seen a defense like ours either if you look at the stats.

But they are ranked 5th in total defense and NDSU was ranked 6th. But we are ranked 18th while the highest they have face prior to us was 23rd (but the #1 team in the nation that beat them on a punt return).

We are about equal in total offense, but Richmond is 45th and we are 48th. Overall, I don't think one team will roll the other. This is the final four and all the teams are good. Obviously I am going to pick UNI, but this should be another great game. It is not like we rely on our offense to score 40 points a game to win. We win in a multitude of ways, but it appears Richmond does too.

Just hope to see some Richmond fans make the trip to CF. As it was nice to see UNH fans and UNI fans together cheering for the Spiders today, but we will definitely not be cheering for you next week! :)

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 03:10 AM

I think the rock (pebble) in Boone North Carolina gets kinda loud. What do you ASU fans think??

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Not suprised to see the typical CAA bulls***. Glad the teams play the game instead of the fans arguing the winner.

We were told Maine would win, we were told UNH would win.

Richmond will not win with a passing performance like today. Dude was throwing into double coverage all day. 4-13 first half.

Calm down guys u beat the 4th and 6th best team in the CAA time to step up to the 3rd. If you happen to get lucky on that. Expect a smack down in CHATTY by the 1st.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Well we cannot compete with the likes of Wa/Griz, The Rock, or even Tubby Raymond because the max we can fit in our stadium is like 17,000. But if you have never been here you don't know what it is like in a hot dry environment in the middle of December. Obviously GSU, YSU, and Delaware know how to win the the Dome in the Playoffs, so it isn't impossible.

Should be a great game between two teams who are very very similar.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM

;D

:D Likewise. If we hadn't a lineman downfield on a TD pass that would have been us getting embarassed. Oh well, everything seems to work out in the end.

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Is there a reason that UNI continues to play on the pavement in the Dome? They should put FieldTurf in there. The only legitimate reason for a school to continue to subject its athletes to the pain of playing on Astrturf should be funding. I can't imagine that UNI couldn't raise the money to put FieldTurf in there.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Richmond is going to win this game.

I expect them to be favored, and I expect them to be flat early after this week's revenge booty whuppin' of Appy.

Mntneer
December 7th, 2008, 07:02 AM
This should be a great game. UNI's strong run D will be a factor I think. From what I saw yesterday, UR's passing game isn't very good. That didn't hurt them very much since they were pretty successful with their rushing game, but there were plenty of passing plays where the only problem was just a poor throw. Richmond's D is very very tough though. I predict low scoring event for both sides.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I am so sick of the freaking CAA, not the teams, their fans.

Most (not all) of you CAA fans are extremely arrogant and think your ***** does not stink. I came on here to talk about how great of a game this was going to be because the two teams MATCH UP SO WELL AGAINST EACHOTHER. I come here to find some Chicken***** from D ware who should have stopped caring about football 10 games ago when his team officially hit rock bottom talking smack about a game that happened over A YEAR AGO!

Wow, CAA fans, I beg of you, show some class this week and come to CF and enjoy a good football game in a very good environment. Richmond will not be favored, nor should they be. They are coming to play at the number 2 team in the country at a place where the host rarely loses. Yes, I understand that they did that successfully yesterday, they could do it again this week, just don't anticipate it, much like I am not "anticipating" a UNI victory.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I think the rock (pebble) in Boone North Carolina gets kinda loud. What do you ASU fans think??

ASU, Montana, Delaware, JMU, etc are very loud.

Just keep in mind that we have a metal roof refocusing the sound towards the field.

The Dome does NOT win games.

I'm just sick of people forgetting that Richmond had a very hard time throwing the ball, was +7 in the turnover margin, and UNI's strength is it's run D.

Richmond can win this game. But don't expect it to be a blowout.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Calm down guys u beat the 4th and 6th best team in the CAA time to step up to the 3rd. If you happen to get lucky on that. Expect a smack down in CHATTY by the 1st.

Bandwagon. You've barely beat your first 2 opponents. I'd keep your mouth shut. ;)

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Is there a reason that UNI continues to play on the pavement in the Dome? They should put FieldTurf in there. The only legitimate reason for a school to continue to subject its athletes to the pain of playing on Astrturf should be funding. I can't imagine that UNI couldn't raise the money to put FieldTurf in there.

It's a storage issue. We have a great indoor track program and the track is under the field.

There is a new field turf that can roll up and has no rubber pellets. I would expect to see it in the Dome soon.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Matchups are the biggest part of the game at this point in the season. We are NOT App State. App State's D is great, but very different than ours. We will stop your running game with more frequency.

What was with Richmond going away from the run so much? I was screaming at the TV. Literally. They'd run it for 10, 5 , 8, 4, 7, then pass 3 straight times and then punt.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Remember Pantherfans - according to the collective brain-trust of AGS, we weren't getting a seed either. ;)

ur2k
December 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
UR doesn't get intimidated. Ask JMU, Delaware, UVA, App State, etc.

To be honest, I know nothing about UNI except you play in a Dome. What's the team's, strenghts, weaknesses?

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
THe key to this game, as with each of our past three games, will be turnovers. We forced 7 against William and Mary, 4 against Eastern Kentucky and 7 against App. Is there a team in the nation that has done that 3 straight against 3 playoff-caliber teams? We will need more of the same this week.

Yes, we left a lot of points on the board yesterday with missed kicks and a few missed passes. We still won by 20 points at the hardest place to play in FCS. If we convert a few more of those open passes next week, it will help overcome the fact that we probably won't create 7 turnovers.

CatfishKhan
December 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm just sick of people forgetting that Richmond had a very hard time throwing the ball

Yeah, but offense and special teams didn't turn the ball over either, which is huge given the strength of Richmond's defense.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM
UR doesn't get intimidated. Ask JMU, Delaware, UVA, App State, etc.

To be honest, I know nothing about UNI except you play in a Dome. What's the team's, strenghts, weaknesses?

We like to run and stop the run. We can pass pretty well. I know that suprised some UNH fans yesterday. You'd have to ask the UNH guys what our weaknesses are. It's hard to say.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, but offense and special teams didn't turn the ball over either, which is huge given the strength of Richmond's defense.

Agreed. I have a lot of respect for Richmond. If I come across as arrogant, it's not that. I'm just tired of other CAA fans talking sh** about our games with other CAA teams. :D

ChickenMan
December 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Richmond's run defense is 'very' tough.. they hold opponents under 100 yrds per game and allowed just 39 to ASU.. a team was averaging about 240 rds per game on the ground. UNI's QB looked real good running the ball vs UNH.. but that success will be much harder to come by vs the Richmond defense. Another key will be UNI's ability to protect their QB.. as I think they will have to throw a lot more than normal to move the ball vs UR. Richmond has two of the best DE's in the FCS and they will bring pressure on Grace.. something that seldom occurred vs UNH.

As for Richmond's offense.. it's solid but not great. Their QB (Ward) is normally a better than average passer and a good runner who can make a big play with his feet. UR has a very good RB (Vaughan) and an outstanding WR (Grayson). But the strength of Richmond is their defense.. which is much much better than what you saw vs Maine and UNH.

As for playing in the 'Dome'.. I expect UR to play well.. they have played well and won in tough places before.. ASU, Delaware, JMU so I wouldn't count on home field being a big difference maker.

Any idea as to how the UNI QB (Grace) is health wise??? He looked to get banged up pretty good last night.. hopefully he can be at full strength as UNI will need a big game from from him if they expect to beat UR.

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Bandwagon. You've barely beat your first 2 opponents. I'd keep your mouth shut. ;)

The two opponents we beat where the 2nd best team in the socon and caa. I think both are a lot better then the 4th and 6th best in the CAA

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Grace appeard to get a non throwing shoulder stinger. I'm shocked it doesn't happen more since he runs people over as he runs.

Lewis came back in the game, his ankle isn't 100% yet.

cougarpines
December 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Thirty years ago. I doubt if the players and coaches last year played there.

Mountain Panther
December 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The two opponents we beat where the 2nd best team in the socon and caa. I think both are a lot better then the 4th and 6th best in the CAA

IMO, beating the second best team in the Socon THIS year isn't all that impressive. xrulesx

ChickenMan
December 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
IMO, beating the second best team in the Socon THIS year isn't all that impressive. xrulesx

You are wrong there and apparently you haven't seen Wofford.. they were very good.

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM

JMU, Villanova and Richmond were a cut above the next tier in the CAA. Those three, plus W&M were a combined 12-0 against CAA Northern Division teams this year. However good Wofford is, beating Villanova twice was a huge achievement.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
JMU, Villanova and Richmond were a cut above the next tier in the CAA. Those three, plus W&M were a combined 12-0 against CAA Northern Division teams this year. However good Wofford is, beating Villanova twice was a huge achievement.

xconfusedx Why don't they make two conferences out of the CAA? By definition a conference is a group of teams that play each other.
We're always talking about FCS settling things on the field and all, unbalanced schedules weaken that arguement.

unidustin86
December 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Richmond's run defense is 'very' tough.. they hold opponents under 100 yrds per game and allowed just 39 to ASU.. a team was averaging about 240 rds per game on the ground. UNI's QB looked real good running the ball vs UNH.. but that success will be much harder to come by vs the Richmond defense. Another key will be UNI's ability to protect their QB.. as I think they will have to throw a lot more than normal to move the ball vs UR. Richmond has two of the best DE's in the FCS and they will bring pressure on Grace.. something that seldom occurred vs UNH.

As for Richmond's offense.. it's solid but not great. Their QB (Ward) is normally a better than average passer and a good runner who can make a big play with his feet. UR has a very good RB (Vaughan) and an outstanding WR (Grayson). But the strength of Richmond is their defense.. which is much much better than what you saw vs Maine and UNH.

As for playing in the 'Dome'.. I expect UR to play well.. they have played well and won in tough places before.. ASU, Delaware, JMU so I wouldn't count on home field being a big difference maker.

Any idea as to how the UNI QB (Grace) is health wise??? He looked to get banged up pretty good last night.. hopefully he can be at full strength as UNI will need a big game from from him if they expect to beat UR.

Go ahead and let you DE put pressure on Grace that way he can step up and take off running and put the shimmy shimmy shake shake on UR linebackers as he has already broke one linebackers ankle this year on a juke

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM

yes...Atlantic City

ViennaSpider
December 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Playing at home on concrete is definitely a plus for UNI, but I think the Spiders will handle it.

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Carpeted concrete. Ugh. When I played that's what UR had too (way before any of these kids though).

I actually wouldn't be surprised if UR is the favorite, or at most the line will be within the home-field margin. Oddsmakers are going to look at a 20-point road win over ASU and a 2-point home win over UNH and set their lines objectively.

I think UR is better than UNH. While they didn't play head-to-head, they had a higher GPI and a better record against common opponents (5-1 vs 4-2).

A lot has been said about UR's Defense. Richmond's offense, I believe, will be the key. Generally, UR is a very balanced offense -- run against teams that give it to you, pass against those who stack the box to set up the run. Don't put too much stock into Ward's performance yesterday. I don't know if it was the cold/nerves/adrenaline when he missed those open receivers. But just last week he was making perfect passes to very well-covered receivers against EKU. Their DB's were good. And Ward made the throws he needed to yesterday when it counted -- to move the chains in the second half.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Odds makers (are there any for an FCS game?) are going to look at what will move action, not qualitatively evaluate the teams.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Two very stout run defenses:

Richmond 94.2 ypg (12 Nationally)
UNI 105.2 ypg (19 Nationally)

Looks like very similar styles to me. And we had heard going into this weeks game that a quarterback had his worst game of the year and don't expect that to happen again, but he threw 4 picks yesterday.

I expect a very good game!

NovaHater
December 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Then how is it they won ?

That "Dude" is playing again because this isn't a one dimensional team.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM

They won yesterday because their Defense played lights out, they scare me to death. Not because of their great quarterback play.

I have a feeling that if both teams take care of the football that this could be a very, very, very, low scoring football game.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
This definitely has the makings of a 17-14 type of game based on what I've seen from UR all year and what I saw from UNI last night (sorry, but that's my only exposure to UNI).

UDBlueLotFan
December 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Two very stout run defenses:

Richmond 94.2 ypg (12 Nationally)
UNI 105.2 ypg (19 Nationally)

Looks like very similar styles to me. And we had heard going into this weeks game that a quarterback had his worst game of the year and don't expect that to happen again, but he threw 4 picks yesterday.

I expect a very good game!

Agree. How is your QB doing? It looked like a broken colarbone with how he was holding it. When he came back in, it looked like he was instructed to stay in the pocket and just manage the game; he has some wheels for a big guy.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ward can play better than he did yesterday, but if you noticed his misses were all to the place where no App player could make a play on the ball either.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM
You gotta be f***ing joking. If you pass like you did today, don't expect us to cough up 7 turnovers like App State. xrolleyesx

HaHa. My prediction was as knee jerk a drunken post as was your reaction (I suspect).

Longhorn
December 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I am so sick of the freaking CAA, not the teams, their fans.

Most (not all) of you CAA fans are extremely arrogant and think your ***** does not stink. I came on here to talk about how great of a game this was going to be because the two teams MATCH UP SO WELL AGAINST EACHOTHER. I come here to find some Chicken***** from D ware who should have stopped caring about football 10 games ago when his team officially hit rock bottom talking smack about a game that happened over A YEAR AGO!

Wow, CAA fans, I beg of you, show some class this week and come to CF and enjoy a good football game in a very good environment. Richmond will not be favored, nor should they be. They are coming to play at the number 2 team in the country at a place where the host rarely loses. Yes, I understand that they did that successfully yesterday, they could do it again this week, just don't anticipate it, much like I am not "anticipating" a UNI victory.

Tisk Tisk Tisk. My my. xnonox xlolx Let's see now, for starters, this is a public message board and UD fans (as bewildered as they are by this season's results) may post their opinions. Secondly, UNI is not the #2 team in the country. And for thirds, anticipated or not, UR is going to smoke UNI.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Just once again people are doubting UNI. All they have done is strung together 10 straight wins. If a team is in the Final Four they are a great team no ifs ands or buts about that.

I hope UR thinks they will come in here and smoke us. By no means do I think a UNI win is a given, but to say we are going to get blown out at home is a stretch in my mind. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and yours is that UNI doesn't deserve to be on the same field as Richmond.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
How is UNI not number 2 right now? In every poll, including the playoff selection committee's rankings of 1-4, UNI was ranked 3rd or 4th. Every team in front of them is done, if there was a poll out tomorrow from ever human poll, UNI would be number 2 in everyone of them. Bank it, not saying they are the second best team, but they would be ranked number two.

Only way Richmond smokes UNI is if Pat Grace feels it neccessary to cough the ball up three times again. We will not survive another episode like that.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Well Grace only turned it over twice as one was a fumble by Mahaffey.

ericsaid
December 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I picked UR to win because i've actually seen them play and know what they are capable of. But if UNI can hang on to the ball and don't leave points on the field then they should win. Richmonds offense is nothing special, Eric Ward was 10-24 for 124 yards against App. So if your strength is run defense I believe UNI could win in a close game, but my gut feeling is Richmond will walk out of the Dome and straight to Finley.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
If there is one thing we can do it is stop the run. Are they more north and south or do they try to turn corners with speed?

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
North-South. The Erstwhile John Crone's health (very good blocking Fullback) will once again be a factor.

unidustin86
December 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
UR running back is a big ole boy. From what i saw saturday

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Say we play Saturday.

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
The reason we are expecting to win is nothing against UNI. It just has to do with the fact that we've played 3 top 10 teams, snoked the defending champs on their own field and caused 18 turnovers in our past three games. The competition that we played vs. the competition UNI has played is really not close. We've been tested 4-5 times against championship caliber competition. I'm not sure that Southern Utah, Missouri State and the others on UNI's schedule come close to comparing.

That said, I realize UNI has a strong team, and just like any week we are going to have to execute in every facet of the game to win. But if we do that, we will win.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
UNI has forced 10 turnovers in the playoffs alone. Along with two safties.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Regardless of which CAA team we play, everyone of their fan bases are arrogant, disrespectful pricks. I cannot believe the lack of respect given to your "non CAA" opponents. Seriously, do you realize you just said that if you play your best game you "can't be beat."

What if UNI plays their best game? Huh? What about that? Do you know so much about SUU, and Missouri State that you KNOW you guys are better than us?

UNI hasn't lost to a CAA team all year, someone beat us, then talk smack. Give a little respect for crying out loud.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
UR isn't going to simply win this game if they play well. UNI is a great team. The Panthers could just as easily give UR a beatdown as they could lose this game. Should be a heavyweight battle.

CatfishKhan
December 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Richmond has forced 11, and given up 2 -- turnover margin +9
UNI has forced 10, and given up 4 -- turnover margin +6

Khan4Cats
December 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM

And those were against teams from the INVINCIBLE CAA!!

ur2k
December 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Regardless of which CAA team we play, everyone of their fan bases are arrogant, disrespectful pricks. I cannot believe the lack of respect given to your "non CAA" opponents. Seriously, do you realize you just said that if you play your best game you "can't be beat."

What if UNI plays their best game? Huh? What about that? Do you know so much about SUU, and Missouri State that you KNOW you guys are better than us?

UNI hasn't lost to a CAA team all year, someone beat us, then talk smack. Give a little respect for crying out loud.

Angry message board post, huh? You probably shouldn't take this so seriously.

We are confident in our ability to play good football and feel if we play well we can beat UNI. Nothing disrespectful there, should we just bow down to the almighty UNI and not even show up for the game? It's the final four, anyone can win it at this point. There are 4 very good teams left.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Richmond has forced 11, and given up 2 -- turnover margin +9
UNI has forced 10, and given up 4 -- turnover margin +6

Damn, you're right. We quit.

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure why you are so angry. I said that if we play our game, we will win. Our game is creating turnovers, running the ball and stopping the other team on defense. If we are able to do that, it sort of proves that the other team was not able to play its game. So we would win. The reverse is also true. I don't think both teams can play their game at the same time. Do you?

I am not demeaning your talent. You could easily beat us, and maybe you will. But I looked at your schedule. You played no playoff teams until the playoffs. I'm not trying to be condescending, but are you going to argue that your schedule was more challenging than ours? I'm simply saying that our team has seen the best teams in the nation. We lost to the #1 team on the last play of the game. We beat the #2 team by 20 points on the road. We lost to the #4 team by 6. We beat Maine by more than you did. UNH was the 4th best team in our league and almost won the game last night.

It should be a great game Saturday.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I'm really growing tired of agreeing with you this week.

UNI is undefeated in CAA play. We are the 3rd seed nationally. Acting like an unseeded team that happened to win on "any given saturday" is suddenly the unstoppable force is homerism at it's best.

I hope, I PRAY the Richmond coaches and players think like this board (which still probably has us unseeded). UNI on its best day is good enough to beat any team left in the field on their best day, and the first team to forget that will do so at their own peril.

petethepenguin15
December 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have to make a hard choice in this game. If uni wins I get respect for the
MVC. But I love richmond and I rlly think they could win. Huh I think I'll
take Richmond because I hate Uni.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Another factor is that last year a team went into that dome and won. That same team lost to Richmond at home and then got destroyed in the Champ. game by App. The team that Richmond just beat. On the road. Yes, the names and faces are a bit different but in Richmond's case they are better than last year, at least on D. O is probably about the same.

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I would much, much, much rather face UNI in the championship game, if we get there, than UR again. I think we could beat both, but I'd be much more comfortable playing against UNI. I think UR stomps on UNI...similar score as ASU. Maybe bigger. I'd say UR 45, UNI 20

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Another factor is that last year a team went into that dome and won. That same team lost to Richmond at home and then got destroyed in the Champ. game by App. The team that Richmond just beat. On the road. Yes, the names and faces are a bit different but in Richmond's case they are better than last year, at least on D. O is probably about the same.

That is an incredibly meaningless string of facts. Using this, I can make a DIII team from last year this years FBS National Champion, if I'm willing to do some research.

Purple For Life
December 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
This place won't effect UR the least bit.....JMU and UDel have two of the loudest places in the FCS and UR have won at both on a regular.... just hope UNI is ready to play for UR will not be intimidated.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...no. It will AFFECT Richmond, you just wait...you've heard about The Dome but you have not PLAYED in THE DOME.

BRING IT ON, BEEYOTCHES!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

PS--I think I heard rumor that a certain set of brothers would be back for this playoff game too.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
That is an incredibly meaningless string of facts. Using this, I can make a DIII team from last year this years FBS National Champion, if I'm willing to do some research.

I completely agree with your assessment! xpeacex

Purple For Life
December 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM

The Dome is a mulitpurpose facility--concerts, wrestling meets, track meets and graduation is all held in there. I walked across about midfield at the 50 (hard to tell without the turf) to get my BA last May. :D

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
No need to worry about the UR players or coaches being over-confident. These guys have been underdogs all year (@Elon,@UVA, @Nova, JMU, @UMass, @ASU, etc.) and really play with a chip on their shoulders. Any time that you have a starter who was told that he wouldn't be given pads at Georgetown or Davidson, you just have that desire to prove everyone wrong. Ask ASU if our guys can play in hostile environments.

It's the semi-finals and there should be no heavy favorites and each game is a toss-up. Should be a great game.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Not meant as smack, but how many does the Dome hold? There looked to be a lot of empty seats last night.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...no. It will AFFECT Richmond, you just wait...you've heard about The Dome but you have not PLAYED in THE DOME.

BRING IT ON, BEEYOTCHES!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

PS--I think I heard rumor that a certain set of brothers would be back for this playoff game too.

I agree that it will be the loudest place we've played. Remember, though, the place has roof, so noise doesn't escape like it does in an open air stadium. Right? xchinscratchx

What's a beeyotch? Does it have something to do with corn?

beauvighn
December 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Good luck Richmond. Bring it for all us Little Private School guys

Houndawg
December 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure why you are so angry. I said that if we play our game, we will win. Our game is creating turnovers, running the ball and stopping the other team on defense. If we are able to do that, it sort of proves that the other team was not able to play its game. So we would win. The reverse is also true. I don't think both teams can play their game at the same time. Do you?

I am not demeaning your talent. You could easily beat us, and maybe you will. But I looked at your schedule. You played no playoff teams until the playoffs. I'm not trying to be condescending, but are you going to argue that your schedule was more challenging than ours? I'm simply saying that our team has seen the best teams in the nation. We lost to the #1 team on the last play of the game. We beat the #2 team by 20 points on the road. We lost to the #4 team by 6. We beat Maine by more than you did. UNH was the 4th best team in our league and almost won the game last night.

It should be a great game Saturday.

xnonox Not true.

CDT_Wilson
December 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The UNI-Dome was only 3/4 full on Saturday and UNH couldn't hear themselves think. Imagine next week when it's packed. Two of the CAA's finest have came and two have fallen. Richmond finished third in the CAA south. Who did they play out of confrence? Unranked Virgina.. they lost 16-0. Georgetown... who knew they had a football team? I thought all their funding went to basketball.

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
xnonox Not true.

Sorry, I overlooked your loss to Southern Illinois.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Not meant as smack, but how many does the Dome hold? There looked to be a lot of empty seats last night.

17,000, SRO. There was around 10-12,000 last night.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM
The UNI-Dome was only 3/4 full on Saturday and UNH couldn't hear themselves think. Imagine next week when it's packed. Two of the CAA's finest have came and two have fallen. Richmond finished third in the CAA south. Who did they play out of confrence? Unranked Virgina.. they lost 16-0. Georgetown... who knew they had a football team? I thought all their funding went to basketball.

What does thinking sound like? xoopsx

You have beaten a couple CAA teams in a row. We just beat the 3 time defending champs at their place.

I think both teams are pretty good.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
How is UNI not number 2 right now? In every poll, including the playoff selection committee's rankings of 1-4, UNI was ranked 3rd or 4th. Every team in front of them is done, if there was a poll out tomorrow from ever human poll, UNI would be number 2 in everyone of them. Bank it, not saying they are the second best team, but they would be ranked number two.

Only way Richmond smokes UNI is if Pat Grace feels it neccessary to cough the ball up three times again. We will not survive another episode like that.

I'm pulling for UNI and I think in a low-scoring slug-fest they have an even chance, however there are a couple of non-measureables that, imo, favor UR:

UR has played a tougher schedule, and

UNI has turned the ball over against good teams this season.

I think the winner will be the team that scores first and that special teams will be very large, if not huge. Wouldn't be surprised to see UNI's other QB play some, even if Grace is healthy.

2xspyder
December 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Just announced on Richmond website (richmondspiders.com) that the game is Saturday at 4:00 p.m. on ESPN

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I'm pulling for UNI and I think in a low-scoring slug-fest they have an even chance, however there are a couple of non-measureables that, imo, favor UR:

UR has played a tougher schedule, and

UNI has turned the ball over against good teams this season.

I think the winner will be the team that scores first and that special teams will be very large, if not huge. Wouldn't be surprised to see UNI's other QB play some, even if Grace is healthy.

Davis won't play if Grace is able to go. People bad mouth Grace, sure he does make mistakes (int at the 2 yard line) but the fact is he is a playmaker, where as Davis looked overwelmed the two series he was in there.

Big Al
December 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM
It's the semi-finals and there should be no heavy favorites and each game is a toss-up. Should be a great game.

Agreed. Richmond looks like they have the tools for a W but then so does UNI.

Edit: I know some people question the fact that UNI was given a #3 seed. I guess the only thing I can point to is the fact that there are only 4 teams left and UNI is hosting on Saturday. ;D

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
And those were against teams from the INVINCIBLE CAA!!

Understand that you've played what I considered to be the 5th and 6th best teams in the CAA. W&M beat UNH at their place, and I believe was the 4th best team in the league. JMU, Nova and Richmond were on another level from W&M, UNH and Maine. UNH and Maine were winless against the top four from the CAA South.

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Just announced on Richmond website (richmondspiders.com) that the game is Saturday at 4:00 p.m. on ESPN

So JMU is Friday night. Bring on the auxiliary lights!

TribeNomad
December 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I noted a UNI poster saying UNH was the fastest team they have seen this year-------UR & JMU are much, much faster. UR takes this game and
takes on JMU in the CAA South National Championship game!!!!

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I noted a UNI poster saying UNH was the fastest team they have seen this year-------UR & JMU are much, much faster. UR takes this game and
takes on JMU in the CAA South National Championship game!!!!Fastest doesn't mean best. Their speed did nothing for them after the first 3 minutes of the game.

unidustin86
December 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
If UR plans on wearing down the defensive front of UNI then they are going with the wrong game plan. UNI rotates 7 players in and out of the defensive front and they do not miss a beat at all. So there is no wearing down the front

unigriff
December 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
The Dome was only half full last night. Paid attendance 9.055...the dome seats just over 16,200 for a true Sell Out. However, can pack in another 1,250ish on the catwalks and such.

I hope those same 9,000 come back this week. It was so loud just with half the dome full.

bostonspider
December 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
It did not come off as loud on TV, but I know that is not a real indicator. The Rock "sounded" louder. I am more worried about how UR will adapt to the old school astroturf than the noise in the Dome..

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I pick Richmond in this one. Battle tested against some of the best opponents on the field this year and one of the best defenses JMU has played all year. For all you UNI fans that think the Dome is going to help you out see Richmond vs. App and Richmond vs JMU at JMU for the past 4 years or so. They have no problem going into a hostile environment and coming away with a win. Not to mention they play Delaware at Delaware every other year. The wrecking ball (Vaughan) has a good running day as Eric Ward causes UNI to respect the pass leaving them more vulnerable in the middle than they are used to.

crunifan
December 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
It didn't come off as loud?

Ask the UNH, Delaware, NDSU, SIU, etc. fans that have been apart of games in the Dome. At our level of play, it doesn't get much louder.

Whether that has a large impact is another point, but there is no mistaking that the Dome is one of the three loudest venues in FCS football.

unigriff
December 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Well the away team gets that run through on the field so much before gametime or the day before that they will at least get a good feel for it already.

The noise is prob. the most underrated factor at UNI. It may or may not be louder or even comparable to others i.e. the Rock, but opponents average prob. around five-six false starts, typically due to the noise. All four of UNH penalties last night were due to false starts when the crowd was into it and loud. But yes, on TV it is hard to say how loud it was. You really have to be there to understand it. But it prob. also didn't sound too loud threatening on TV because in fact there was only 9,000 there. If you are watching the game this week instead of coming, compare 9,000 to this weeks 16-17k... :)

Hopefully a lot of Richmond fans make the trek, we have a lot of great fans here and the hospitality of the midwest is typically pretty superb.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Not if you realize that I am trying to explain why there is a PERCEPTION that Richmond would win the game, as opposed to claiming they will with that "meaningless string of facts".

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM

To go along with that UNI would have been the FBS champion last year. You don't win games just because you beat a team that beat the team you are playing

ur2k
December 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Do you guys have any worthwhile intel about your team? Or is the fact that you think the CAA sucks and the Dome is tough to play in the best we'll get this week?

Do you have a message board? You can find us on spidernation.com.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Again, for those with a reading comprehension problem. A few pages ago I believe that a question was posed as to why people thought Richmond would win. I was answering that with the comparison of teams played and results.

bcrawf
December 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Do you guys have any worthwhile intel about your team? Or is the fact that you think the CAA sucks and the Dome is tough to play in the best we'll get this week?

Do you have a message board? You can find us on spidernation.com.

Somewhat like your CAA is great, Dome is not that tough, we beat App State talk??

Anyway we are at www.panthernation.com

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The Spiders frequently practice in an airplane hanger where aspiring chainsaw operators train 200 at a time. When this space is not available, they move to a fireworks testing facility that doubles as an electric guitar jam-session studio.

I'm really not worried about the noise factor.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
What the F is wrong with Panthernation.com? That place has been incredibly slow for a few days. Nobody is even posting there anymore becuase of the horrible slowness. Pretty crappy time for our site to take a crap.

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
What the F is wrong with Panthernation.com? That place has been incredibly slow for a few days. Nobody is even posting there anymore becuase of the horrible slowness. Pretty crappy time for our site to take a crap.
I was thinking the same thing

TribeNomad
December 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Agreed speed isn't everything--actually UR is more of a power, grind it out team. My point was that UR & JMU feature more speed than UNH.

Chi Panther
December 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
For the Richmond guy who wanted to know more about UNI:

We have 2 NFL guys on the D-line...sounds like you do too. We rotate 7 guys up front.

We have VERY fast LBs and a Stud SS. Other DBs are probably Avg athletes.

On offense, our QB weighs 230lbs. Big kid. Hopefully he's healthy.

We run 2 RBs, Lewis has had a bum ankle all year but has gone for 1200 yards. Last year he had 1,500 yards rushing and over 600 receiving. The back up weighs about 225 and has over 700 yards.

Our top 2 WRs were kicked off the team (after week 10), one was pre-season AA, the other was 6-3 and 230. The Receivers you will see are Freshman-Sophs but really fast. I would be shocked if any of the final 4 teams have a kid faster than #83 and he is a true freshman.

Our Punter is a Baylor Transfer and our FG kicker has 50+ yard ability.

All in all, UNI has an elite Dline. The rest is just the product of being a year in year out top 10 FCS program. They expect to win. They come to UNI to be in these type of games. OUr coaches have been here before.

Anyone who says UNI will show up and win is nutz. The same for Richmond fans. Everyone in the playoffs is good. Everyone in the semi's is ELITE.

Good luck and safe travels. I'm glad we don't have to fight weather traveling....

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
The Spiders frequently practice in an airplane hanger where aspiring chainsaw operators train 200 at a time. When this space is not available, they move to a fireworks testing facility that doubles as an electric guitar jam-session studio.

I'm really not worried about the noise factor.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Also we have an outstanding O-line, it was a question at the beginning of the season however they have really "evolved". The average size is about 6'5" 310lbs. We also have a good set of tight ends/h-backs one is a big play receiver and the others are used primarily for blocking but can sneak out and catch the ball. Our defense as has been said is very good up front, and we cause a lot of turnover, we will give up some yards though. I think that Chi Panther and I have given a good over-view, why don't you Richmond fans give us a nice over-view.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Couldn't have said it better.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Here goes...

On defense, we are solid front-to-back. All 4 of our Defensive linemen are excellent. Look out for #2 and #8 specifically.

Our Linebackers aren't speedy, but they are very sound. #39 Weldon has really come on late. He is smallish but is always around the ball.

Our defensive backs are nearly as strong a unit as the D-linemen. One of the CB's got injured in the 1st Round with a concussion. Hopefully he will be back this week.

On offense, Our quarterback is an excellent 'game manager'. None of his numbers will jump out at you, but he can make a big play with his arm or legs when he needs to.

Our Running back, Vaughn is a bull. We don't have a ton of depth at RB.

We have a deep WR corps. #1 Grayson is a big target and makes a lot of 3rd down conversions.

Our O-line has been up and down all year ... but has been UP late. If our fullback returns from injury this week, it will really help with our run blocking.

Our kicking and punting has been pretty strong all year. The kicker had a rough game yesterday. Hopefully that doesn't become a trend.

How was that?

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Is your QB used with some designed run plays and option plays like ours, or is he just able to scramble during broken plays?

ur2k
December 7th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Also we have an outstanding O-line, it was a question at the beginning of the season however they have really "evolved". The average size is about 6'5" 310lbs. We also have a good set of tight ends/h-backs one is a big play receiver and the others are used primarily for blocking but can sneak out and catch the ball. Our defense as has been said is very good up front, and we cause a lot of turnover, we will give up some yards though. I think that Chi Panther and I have given a good over-view, why don't you Richmond fans give us a nice over-view.

Football talk, how refreshing. Thanks guys!

We actually sound like very similar teams.

Quick overview of the Spiders:
-Our strength is our defense. Two D-ends (Logan and Sidbury) are relentless at getting to the QB and causing general Havoc.
-Our LBs are great at finding the ball and getting after it - not blazing speed but very smart players.
-Secondary has been the pleasant surprise of this year with first-year starters at the safety positions and at corner. Justin Rogers #5 is a sophmore that I feel is one of the best corners in the country.
-We don't blitz a whole lot but depend on our pass rush to disrupt the opposing offense.

On offense.
-We have a junior QB (Eric Ward) that doesn't make many mistakes. He's a great game manager and can beat you with his arm or by tucking and running (had over 90 yards on the ground vs. App)
- Josh Vaughan is our RB - bruiser, big kid. 6 foot 235 ish. He's been great the last half of the season. A lot of the success of our run game depends on the blocking of our FB (Crone #3) who's been out the last 2 weeks.
-O-line sounds about the same size as yours.
- TE's are seniors who can block and catch the ball - not a ton but a lot out of play action.
- WR's are a good unit. Kevin Grayson is damn good and can do a lot of diiferent things. We also have a small fast guy Tre Grey who's been getting more balls thrown to him. Jordan Mitchell also has big play ability.

Special Teams has been ok. Our punter is pretty good and accurate. Our FG kicker is normally good (had the yips at App) he's 142-144 on XP's in his career. One area that burned us twice this year was punt coverage - ask W&M and JMU.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Again, for those with a reading comprehension problem. A few pages ago I believe that a question was posed as to why people thought Richmond would win. I was answering that with the comparison of teams played and results.

And for those with a problem with something other than reading comprehension, we're explaining why that's a terrible basis for thinking someone is going to win.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Is your QB used with some designed run plays and option plays like ours, or is he just able to scramble during broken plays?

Half and half. They probably run 4 or 5 designed runs for Ward during the game. He'll probably scramble another half dozen times or so each game.

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I agree I think we really have similar teams, should be fun

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
And for those with a problem with something other than reading comprehension, we're explaining why that's a terrible basis for thinking someone is going to win.

Perhaps. I think Mr. Sagarin might disagree with you though.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Are you trying to prove my point now?

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Which is what? Sheezus.

newsbreaker
December 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
You've responded a number of times, and you still don't know what the point was?

I think whenever you complain about "reading comprehension" you should post a picture of a glass house.

By the way, ;) x's 100

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
You've responded a number of times, and you still don't know what the point was?

I think whenever you complain about "reading comprehension" you should post a picture of a glass house.

By the way, ;) x's 100

Why don't you guys just have a pillow fight and be done with this.

Bettina, this is you every week. It is tiresome. xtwocentsx

Tuesday is usually the day of the week that you break into the US News&World Report rankings comparison, right? I can't wait for that again.

UNI Pike
December 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM

The rub with MR Sagarin's computer is that we beat UNH, and are still ranked below them. We are in fact ranked lower than 8 other teams, including William & Mary. xconfusedx

It looks to be two teams playing the mirror image of one another.

Whats the typical defense scheme for Richmond?

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yes, every week.

Or once.

And it has nothing to do with this attempt at a discussion on why common opponents leads to a general perception that Richmond would win, which means nothing towards what will actually take place.

unigriff
December 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Richmond will win by 23...they are too good.

ur2k
December 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
The rub with MR Sagarin's computer is that we beat UNH, and are still ranked below them. We are in fact ranked lower than 8 other teams, including William & Mary. xconfusedx

It looks to be two teams playing the mirror image of one another.

Whats the typical defense scheme for Richmond?

Pretty typical 4-3, not too fancy. Just very sound fundamentally.

How would you describe you offense? Pro-style, option, spread, etc?

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Pretty typical 4-3, not too fancy. Just very sound fundamentally.

How would you describe you offense? Pro-style, option, spread, etc?
a pro style zone read spread

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
As for the thing about Sagarin, obviously it would be impossible to have a ranking system where every team is ranked above every team they beat and below every team they lost to.

Anyway, Richmond just spent the entire week being the underdog and very much so so I think we can dispense with any discussions as to the how's and why's of why that occurs and agree that it means zilch.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Our offense is whatever it needs to be. It is very versitile. We have been known to just line it up and run right at teams the whole game, or we can spread it out and throw it all over the place, or we can run option all game. Very difficult to prepare for, especially with our mobile tank QB.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Apparently everyone else disagrees since almost every CAA fan has been telling us we'd lose the last 2. xlolx

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The last two seasons the Panthers are 3-1 against the CAA. Hopefully after this weekend, it will be 4-1.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Because the defense stepped up and got 7 turnovers. xlolx

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
HaHa. My prediction was as knee jerk a drunken post as was your reaction (I suspect).

naw, glad your prediction was alcohol influenced. Should be a great game.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Tisk Tisk Tisk. My my. xnonox xlolx Let's see now, for starters, this is a public message board and UD fans (as bewildered as they are by this season's results) may post their opinions. Secondly, UNI is not the #2 team in the country. And for thirds, anticipated or not, UR is going to smoke UNI.

Neither is Texas. xwhistlex xlolx

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM

In Sagarin's program you won, but failed to cover the spread, so the computer couldn't move you up. UNI ranked behind W&M, but W&M beat UNH on their field. W&M's only FCS losses to teams ranked #1, #2 and #3.

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Neither is Texas. xwhistlex xlolx

Amazing!

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I would much, much, much rather face UNI in the championship game, if we get there, than UR again. I think we could beat both, but I'd be much more comfortable playing against UNI. I think UR stomps on UNI...similar score as ASU. Maybe bigger. I'd say UR 45, UNI 20

Make it your sig. Hope you're willing to eat crow if it comes down to it.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM

The Jonas Brothers?

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
No need to worry about the UR players or coaches being over-confident. These guys have been underdogs all year (@Elon,@UVA, @Nova, JMU, @UMass, @ASU, etc.) and really play with a chip on their shoulders. Any time that you have a starter who was told that he wouldn't be given pads at Georgetown or Davidson, you just have that desire to prove everyone wrong. Ask ASU if our guys can play in hostile environments.

Great post DT. People just need to shut their f***ing mouths and show some respect to the last 4 teams. Anyones game.

NDSUFREAK
GO UNI!!! Represent the MVFC and bring home a Championship!!

PantherRob82

16k, 9500 last night. xnonono2x

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Rob, you are on a posting fury right now! Are you going for some type of record?

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Rob, you are on a posting fury right now! Are you going for some type of record?

no, just got home from hanging out with UNHaluminCT. Tired of people on all sides being stupid. Posting like crazy to cause a distraction. :D

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
no, just got home from hanging out with UNHaluminCT. Tired of people on all sides being stupid. Posting like crazy to cause a distraction. :D

To me it's kinda stupid to get too worked up about perceived slights, computer or otherwise, when everything will get settled on the field. Felt that way last week when we were on the other end of it as well.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
To me it's kinda stupid to get too worked up about perceived slights, computer or otherwise, when everything will get settled on the field. Felt that way last week when we were on the other end of it as well.

I don't really care. It's just fun to fight and use censored swears. :D

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Now you're talking my language.

Purple For Life
December 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This is the end of the road for UNI.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Man, that is funny!

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
LET's GO SPIDERS!!!!

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Batman would CRUSH Spiderman, by the way...

Purple For Life
December 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
The Jonas Brothers?

No, I meant these two trouble makers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rawbery79/IMG_2402.jpg

Where were you??

DX Man
December 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Richmond's defense is awesome!

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
No, I meant these two trouble makers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rawbery79/IMG_2402.jpg

Where were you??

basketball game. where were you when we were at OP after the game?

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
The rub with MR Sagarin's computer is that we beat UNH, and are still ranked below them.

You are ranked less than one "point" below UNH and the home-field advantage in his formula projects you would beat UNH at home by 2.24. Wow, he's really disrespecting UNI. xrolleyesx

Purple For Life
December 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
basketball game. where were you when we were at OP after the game?

Ahhhh...they dropped me off at my car at Mulligans, I ran home, and then went to the Man's house...where I proceeded to rewatch the game until he suggested we do something else. xlolx (He had DVRed it and was like, "you just saw it!")

Engy0
December 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I agree that it will be the loudest place we've played. Remember, though, the place has roof, so noise doesn't escape like it does in an open air stadium. Right? xchinscratchx

What's a beeyotch? Does it have something to do with corn?

This was funny xthumbsupx

I also think that everyone that is getting so angry on this board should just step back and calm the ***** down. We do not decide the game nor do many of us have any sort of impact on the game so CALM IS KEY!

Bettina90
December 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Agreed.

Blue42
December 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Predictions..
1. Panthers win by 14
2. Vaughan is held to < 80 yards (probably < 60)
3. Sunday morning CAA fans continue to rationalize that a MVFC team can't possibly be competitive with the East Coast teams despite UNI winning 3 straight.

Memo to CAA myopics...UNI has some big nasty boys on the OL and DL. They're looking forward to meeting more of the CAA on Saturday.

SpiderFan
December 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I picked UNI. I hope it doesn't seem like sour grapes. My reasoning is as simple as this... I don't know if UR was so hyped up for revenge against ASU that it could lead to coming out a little flat against UNI. This should be a real slugfest and I'm not sure who I want to see win. It'd be great for me as an App fan to see the Spiders to go on and win the whole thing. It makes it a little more palatable to lose to the eventual champs. Then again, I developed a respect for UNI during the '05 title game and would like to see them win one. Best of luck to both teams.

That's exactly what I'm worried about having been so hyped from last year to play App again that we have spent everything and come out flat against the Panthers this week. But I'm not worried about the dome atmosphere too much since we've been at ASU the last 2 years in a row.

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Nasty on the field, yes. Off the field they are as nice as anyone you would ever meet.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Predictions..
1. Panthers win by 14
2. Vaughan is held to < 80 yards (probably < 60)
3. Sunday morning CAA fans continue to rationalize that a MVFC team can't possibly be competitive with the East Coast teams despite UNI winning 3 straight.

Memo to CAA myopics...UNI has some big nasty boys on the OL and DL. They're looking forward to meeting more of the CAA on Saturday.

4. You diappear from AGS for the winter on Sunday and forget to write "I had all 3 wrong" before you go. xasswhipx

TCisMYhero
December 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
4. You diappear from AGS for the winter on Sunday and forget to write "I had all 3 wrong" before you go. xasswhipx

xeyebrowx

He's rooting for UNI, not UR......

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM

That goes for everyone. People need to man up around AGS.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
AGS=Place to get fresh Crow every Sunday...

paward
December 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
LET's GO SPIDERS!!!!

Where does he get those nice toys from?

UNI Pike
December 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Photoshop, et al

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Where does he get those nice toys from?
my signature banner? I made it :)

UNI Pike
December 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM
And you do nice work BTW - but please, PLEASE for the love of God, do not change your avatar back to that creepy dude with the tongue. xthumbsdownx

UNI Pike
December 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
And call Sally Struthers so your current avatar can get a meal.

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
And you do nice work BTW - but please, PLEASE for the love of God, do not change your avatar back to that creepy dude with the tongue. xthumbsdownx
lol

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
And call Sally Struthers so your current avatar can get a meal.
no no no, his body is perfect.