PDA

View Full Version : #4 Montana @ #1 James Madison

Pages : [1] 2

Peems
December 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Meet next week in what I hope will be a great game, and a Griz win.

th0m
December 6th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I hope we can be the underdogs in this one too xpeacex

Peems
December 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I hope we can be the underdogs in this one too xpeacex

Unlikely, James Madison is the #1 team in the country for a reason, plus being at home, the Griz are the underdog

DuckDuckGriz
December 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Young Griz team. If they lose it was a great season. If they win it will be extra sweet to beat the Dukes at home.

At this point I am all smiles. xnodx

GO GRIZ!

Shellin
December 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Definitely a some homerism reflected in my vote for Montana on the road against the #1 seed, but I really like the way the Griz have been playing since the first Weber game. Chase has been incredible for us and our defense has been playing lights out. My biggest concern is that our offense won't show up for stretches of time (ala Texas State and PSU) and we will get behind early and not be able to make it back up. Either way, it should be an exciting game next week.

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM
xsmhx unfortunetly, i had to pick JMU.

and it eats me up, after 3 years here, i finally know what its like being a poster and not having a team in the running.xnonono2x

Peems
December 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Young Griz team. If they lose it was a great season. If they win it will be extra sweet to beat the Dukes at home.

At this point I am all smiles. xnodx

GO GRIZ!

agreed. But losing still hurts, my hopes have slowly started to rise with the team, and I want nothing more than for this sweet ride to continue. By far the biggest test will be Landers, the Griz have not seen a QB like him at all, the closet would probably be Dalley and even he isn't that close.

GaSouthern
December 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
GGGGGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIII IIIZZZZZZZZZZZZ

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
if the griz make it to the championship, i want to go. any griz fans out there that will welcome me to their tailgate? i want to compare and see whos fanbase is the best.

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2008, 07:15 PM
No offense to the Griz fans, but JMU by 10 or more....

93henfan
December 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Had to go with the streamer fanooks from Harrisonburg.

Cleets
December 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM
No offense to the Griz fans, but JMU by 10 or more....

You want to put money on that..? (More than 10) Really...

xeyebrowx

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
As much as it sucks to not have any home games left, I'm glad we get a chance to go on the road to JMU.

Here's to another trip to Chatty! xthumbsupx

Griz win by 7. xnodx

SeattleGriz
December 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
JMU's fairy tale season ends with the one team that started the karma wagon.

4th and What?
December 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM

xeyebrowx

Well....if Vegas put JMU by 9 over 'nova...... xoopsx

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM

xeyebrowx

I win, you fly to Minneapolis and buy me a Coke xthumbsupx
You win, you fly to Minneapolis and I buy you a drink xeyebrowx
We can have Cap'n Cat witness the settling of the wager. xeekx

RationalGriz
December 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think JMU wins. This is the week that Montana's inconsistant offense does them in.

Cleets
December 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I win, you fly to Minneapolis and buy me a Coke xthumbsupx
You win, you fly to Minneapolis and I buy you a drink xeyebrowx
We can have Cap'n Cat witness the settling of the wager. xeekx

Nice... so I see you really stand by your wager

How about this:
I take Montana and 10 points
You take JMU minus 10

You win I donate $100.00 to AGS
I win you donate $100.00 to AGS

xnodx
Now that's a bet...!!!
are you in (I'll assume you are and notify AGS of our wager) unless otherwise noted (by you)

~

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Nice... so I see you really stand by your wager

How about this:
I take Montana and 10 points
You take JMU minus 10

You win I donate $100.00 to AGS
I win you donate $100.00 to AGS

xnodx
Now that's a bet...!!!
are you in (I'll assume you are and notify AGS of our wager) unless otherwise noted (by you)

~

If I had $100 to lose, I'd make the bet.

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I think JMU will eke out another one.:)

JMU DUUUKES
December 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
JMU's fairy tale season ends with the one team that started the karma wagon.

Haha i like that, never thought about it that way, but true. Good luck to both teams

Dukes by 5

FCS Go!
December 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think the Griz can win but Bergquist will have to throw much, much better than he has the last 3 or 4 weeks. Today I'd have to say JMU by 7. I might feel better about it later this week so I'll vote then.;)

DRDukes
December 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
question for griz fans. I honestly dont know the answer, but outside Chatty, when was the last time ya'll won a road playoff game? It seems like ya'll are always at home and are rarley on the road until the NC.

placidlakegriz
December 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
if the griz make it to the championship, i want to go. any griz fans out there that will welcome me to their tailgate? i want to compare and see whos fanbase is the best.

You would be welcome at any GRIZ tailgate. Just ask anyone who has had the opportunity to party with a GRIZ.

Hellgate60
December 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
question for griz fans. I honestly dont know the answer, but outside Chatty, when was the last time ya'll won a road playoff game? It seems like ya'll are always at home and are rarley on the road until the NC.

Besides the National Championship games we have not won a road playoff game

Longhorn
December 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Besides the National Championship games we have not won a road playoff game

Which is as good as any reason to pick JMU by at least two scores. ;)

madisonfan87
December 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Go Dukes, undefeated at home and I doubt that changes next weekend.

Cleets
December 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Again... I'm taking bets
Put your money where your SMACK is xnodx

if the #1 JMU at home is favored (obviously) then by how much and if we all agree on a number 7 or 10 or whatever..

I'll bet anybody $100.00 all proceeds donated to AGS xnodx

So speak up JMU fans...!!!

catamount man
December 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Go JMU. Gotta pull for purple and gold. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

grizbeer
December 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I voted JMU - I know traitor. But I must say, I really don't know much about JMU other than they are a very good team. Can someone post a scouting report on JMU, strengths, weaknesses, etc?

I know the CAA is extremely good this year, and JMU is the class of the conference. Griz are pretty good for all the young players they have, just hoping they can get that 1st playoff road win.

gbhmt
December 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I think what's been said already is true. If Bergquist settles down and plays like he did about 2/3 of the way through the season, the Griz D should be able to slow JMU down enough. They've held the #8 and #5 offenses in the nation to 13 points each. Just a matter of consistency.

Cranium716
December 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well....if Vegas put JMU by 9 over 'nova...... xoopsx

JMU will be a 7-point favorite or more on the Vegas boards, when it should be about 3. I was amazed when I saw JMU favored by 9 when they should have been favored by no more than 4.

That said, JMU will win by three on a last second kickoff return with 15 laterals. That should officially make my heart stop after this crazy season. xthumbsupx

madisonfan87
December 6th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I voted JMU - I know traitor. But I must say, I really don't know much about JMU other than they are a very good team. Can someone post a scouting report on JMU, strengths, weaknesses, etc?

Good against the run and with the run on offense, iffy on pass offense and bad on passing defense. McGee makes our special teams a huge plus. How bout Montana?

UNIFanSince1983
December 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I voted Montana, but that is because I want to see them in Chatty if we get by Richmond. Should be a great game though.

Which of the two semifinals do you guys think will be on Friday though? I mean I know we find out tomorrow, but just getting opinions.

Dukie95
December 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I voted Montana, but that is because I want to see them in Chatty if we get by Richmond. Should be a great game though.

Which of the two semifinals do you guys think will be on Friday though? I mean I know we find out tomorrow, but just getting opinions.

Handbook says the top bracket gets it unless there are circumstances at the site that make it a problem. So, it should be JMU/Montana.

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Which of the two semifinals do you guys think will be on Friday though? I mean I know we find out tomorrow, but just getting opinions.My guess would be JMU/Montana.

It'd work out nicely for me, since I could get up at 8:00 in the morning to catch it, instead of 4:00 in the morning. xlolx

grizbeer
December 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Good against the run and with the run on offense, iffy on pass offense and bad on passing defense. McGee makes our special teams a huge plus. How bout Montana?
Lately Montana has been all about the run on O - and lights out on D, against both run and pass. If Montana can get the pass O going (lots of big play makers (some slowed by injury), just have not got it going in the last 6 - 8 games) it could be scary, and the D gives up lots of yards, but usually shuts down in the red zone. special teams have been very good lately. Should be a lot of fun.

Dukie95
December 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I know Montana travels really well, but will they come to the east coast for two straight weekends?

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I know Montana travels really well, but will they come to the east coast for two straight weekends?You'd be surprised. xnodx

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I know Montana travels really well, but will they come to the east coast for two straight weekends?

It's not that Montana travels real well to other non-championship east coast games, it's that Montana fans are all over the nation and I'm pretty sure the alumni association gives them a call xthumbsupx

Dukes_Bando
December 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Can someone post a scouting report on JMU, strengths, weaknesses, etc?

Offense:
Spread offense focusing on the read option. similar to WVU and appy.
Payton Award finalist Rodney Landers at QB, basically a RB who can throw the ball moreso than a QB who can run.
Run first but will open up a big pass several times a game.
Landers has the capability to will his way into the endzone and will make players miss but occasionally forces a bad pass.

Defense:
Very strong D-line, DE Arthur Moats is a beast, gets penetration into the backfield very well.
Between Sam Daniels and Moats expect pressure on the QB most of the game.
Linebackers are young and green, Lost the only veteran mid-season in the Richmond game, they are the weakest spot in the Defense.
JMU's secondary is typical JMU -- Soft bend-but-don't-break on the pass.

Special Teams:
Scotty McGee...
CAA Special Teams player of the year.
CAA 1st team punt returner
2nd team kick return

Espn Play of the week against Richmond.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMl6LaXEqvQ

grizbeer
December 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Offense:
Spread offense focusing on the read option. Payton Award finalist Rodney Landers at QB, basically a RB who can throw the ball moreso than a QB who can run. Run first but will open up a big pass several times a game.
Landers has the capability to will his way into the endzone and will make players miss. But he will occasionally force a bad pass.

Defense:
Very strong D-line, DE Arthur Moats is a beast, gets penetration into the backfield very well. Between Sam Daniels and Moats expect pressure on the QB most of the game. Linebackers are young and green, Lost the only veteran mid-season in the Richmond game, they are the weakest spot in the Defense. JMU's secondary is typical JMU -- Soft bend-but-don't-break on the pass.

Special Teams:
Scotty McGee...
CAA Special Teams player of the year, and CAA 1st team punt returner, 2nd team kick return
Espn Play of teh week against Richmond.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMl6LaXEqvQ
Sounds like a mirror image his week - should be a very good game.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I am foregoing my CAA loyalties and pulling for Montana in this game. xthumbsupx

I have actually never been very fond of JMU anyway. xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
JMU/CAA fans don't get too excited, but I think we might have the best oline you have seen all year. Maybe some griz fans can back me, but they have some great talent and they are finally starting to gel.

B&G
December 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I had to vote JMU. They've handled everything thrown at them. Close games should not phase them at this point. If it were in Montana, then maybe a different story but I think the Dukes win by single digits.

igo4uni
December 6th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I voted JMU cuz they are at home. I did not realize that Montana has never won a road playoff game. Is that really true?? I know they get lots of home games in the playoffs.

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I voted JMU cuz they are at home. I did not realize that Montana has never won a road playoff game. Is that really true?? I know they get lots of home games in the playoffs.I'd count winning against Marshall @ Marshall to be a road win, but for some stupid reason some people still say it was at a neutral site. So, technically speaking we don't have a win on the road outside of the chipper.

Who cares, though. I think we have what it takes to get a win this week. xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I voted JMU cuz they are at home. I did not realize that Montana has never won a road playoff game. Is that really true?? I know they get lots of home games in the playoffs.

That is true. I would personally call the 95 championship game a road game because it was in Huntington, but it technically doesn't count. This will be our first road playoff game since we played at McNeese State in 2002. First time we will travel to the east coast in the playoffs since Georgia Southern in 1989.

Wellington
December 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
The Dukes definitely have the advantage. But, my prediction is Griz:31, Duh dukes: 24.xthumbsupx If that doesn't happen then its probably the dukes +10 over the griz.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
JMU/CAA fans don't get too excited, but I think we might have the best oline you have seen all year. Maybe some griz fans can back me, but they have some great talent and they are finally starting to gel.

75 Dyk, Chris JR OT 6'8" 295
79 Dow, Colin SR OC 6'5" 300
69 Quinn, J.D. SR OG 6'4" 302
66 Russum, Brent SR OT 6'4" 295
72 Horn, Levi JR OT 6'7" 305
55 Carter, Dan SR OG 6'5" 295

Some big guys that have not only that 300 lbs, but pure speed. JD Quinn today took out two weber guys, just flat out pancaked them. These guys are nasty and will certainly give that great D-line a good game.

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 12:05 AM

In 12 team CAA (*conference games only stats):
#1 total offense 419 yds per game
#1 scoring offense 42.5 pts per game
#1 rushing offense 300 yds per game
#12 pass offense 119 yds per game (but #2 in pass efficiency)

#2 total defense 293 yds per game
#2 scoring defense 19.5 pts per game
#3 rushing defense 103 yds per game
#6 pass defense 189 yds per game

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confonly.htm
JMU overall stats:
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamstat.htm?ATCLID=791903&SPSID=71033&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

JMU2004
December 7th, 2008, 12:14 AM
75 Dyk, Chris JR OT 6'8" 295
79 Dow, Colin SR OC 6'5" 300
69 Quinn, J.D. SR OG 6'4" 302
66 Russum, Brent SR OT 6'4" 295
72 Horn, Levi JR OT 6'7" 305
55 Carter, Dan SR OG 6'5" 295

Some big guys that have not only that 300 lbs, but pure speed. JD Quinn today took out two weber guys, just flat out pancaked them. These guys are nasty and will certainly give that great D-line a good game.

looks JUST like your 2004 line. Same size......but I hope they have gotten quicker. Our D ends will eat slow tackles alive.

Biggest difference in 2004 was team speed. Montana was SLOW in the trenches and LBs.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM
looks JUST like your 2004 line. Same size......but I hope they have gotten quicker. Our D ends will eat slow tackles alive.

Biggest difference in 2004 was team speed. Montana was SLOW in the trenches and LBs.

The LB's are without a doubt MUCH faster. Our entire defense is faster. And our O-line was not this big in 2004. These boys have speed and that is for sure. They kill on trap plays.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Should be a great game. JMU 24, UM 21. Jmu vs Richmond, Round 2 in Chattanooga.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Something that is always an issue with Montana is the option. JMU runs that trick option and it will kill us. Luckily our LB's and Corners love to lay some hits. Colt Anderson will really need to show up this week. ALOT of film tomorrow for the griz.

DB_Atlantic10
December 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
The LB's are without a doubt MUCH faster. Our entire defense is faster. And our O-line was not this big in 2004. These boys have speed and that is for sure. They kill on trap plays. Villanova, Wofford, UDel and Richmond have bigger lines....

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Villanova, Wofford, UDel and Richmond have bigger lines....

well isn't that just dandy. it's not the size that matters, it's the motion of the ocean. :D

JMU2004
December 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Something that is always an issue with Montana is the option. JMU runs that trick option and it will kill us. Luckily our LB's and Corners love to lay some hits. Colt Anderson will really need to show up this week. ALOT of film tomorrow for the griz.

Ya'll promise not to throw Haymakers this time around?

One of the WORST displays I have ever seen, and NOT indicative of the Griz nation.

See ya'll In Harrisonburg. Beers are on me.

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Ya'll promise not to throw Haymakers this time around?

One of the WORST displays I have ever seen, and NOT indicative of the Griz nation.

See ya'll In Harrisonburg. Beers are on me.Wasn't that Corey Proctor?

But I agree. Horrible display which is nothing like what Griz Nation represents.

Let's make it a good, clean game. xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
December 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Wasn't that Corey Proctor?

But I agree. Horrible display which is nothing like what Griz Nation represents.

I think he's talking about Kerry Mullan's roughing the passer penalty that kept a JMU drive alive.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Wasn't that Corey Proctor?

Kerry Mullan. Really sucked for us because it was on third down of one of the few third down stops we had in the second half. Pretty sure it was when we were down 24 21. Automatic first down, JMU goes up 31 21, end of story. Damn that game sucked. You guys have a playable surface right?

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I think he's talking about Kerry Mullan's roughing the passer penalty that kept a JMU drive alive.

Damn, beat me to it. Good memory mve...

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM

U sure wofford's is bigger? From what I remember last year, they were undersized but made up for it in quickness and smarts.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 01:19 AM

Dude...did you go through and compare the size of each lineman on all of those teams? xrolleyesx

mvemjsunpx
December 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Damn, beat me to it. Good memory mve...

Actually, I looked it up… xrotatehx

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Actually, I looked it up… xrotatehx

Okay, but still the point is how much it really hurt our chances to win that game. Something that both of our posts included.

mlbowl
December 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM
We are the underdogs, fa sho, as we should be...but don't expect this Griz team to just lay down...We got HEART with a splash of skill!!!

JMU2004
December 7th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Our X factor is pretty good alone......on top of a strong team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7o0t_dHI4&feature=related

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I looked up Woffords and Richmonds because i didn't believe what earlier poster said. They certaintly aren't as big as Montana although i don't know teams are. That's huge for FCS linemen. It's harder for the smaller schools even with scholarships to attract monster olinemen for some reason. Furman, Richmond and the PL schools all had had traditionally smaller offensive linemen.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Our X factor is pretty good alone......on top of a strong team

This guy is maybe the most effective on the team. Great skills, quick, clever, really can get a crowd going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8g1JzwpX0

Native
December 7th, 2008, 01:47 AM
The Grizz are sound in all aspects of the game! Grizz will prevail!

JMU2004
December 7th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I looked up Woffords and Richmonds because i didn't believe what earlier poster said. They certaintly aren't as big as Montana although i don't know teams are. That's huge for FCS linemen. It's harder for the smaller schools even with scholarships to attract monster olinemen for some reason. Furman, Richmond and the PL schools all had had traditionally smaller offensive linemen.

really? Richmond has some HUGE fellas on the line, and didn't Furman have a 6'8" guy win Olineman of the year?

Montana is not the only big line out there. And as I said, they had a huge(and slow) line in 2004.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 01:50 AM
really? Richmond has some HUGE fellas on the line, and didn't Furman have a 6'8" guy win Olineman of the year?

Montana is not the only big line out there. And as I said, they had a huge(and slow) line in 2004.

And as i've said, these guys are nasty. They are the focal point of this offense. They are experienced and quick. Why do you think we've gotten so many rushing yards the past two games? It's because hauck and phenice have figured out what works best.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 01:54 AM
The Grizz are sound in all aspects of the game! Grizz will prevail!

Nice to see you native. great game!

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM
This guy is maybe the most effective on the team. Great skills, quick, clever, really can get a crowd going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8g1JzwpX0Oh god....

I was going to watch that video until they started playing that horrible "Walk This Way" parody.

:pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke:

JMU2004
December 7th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Oh god....

I was going to watch that video until they started playing that horrible "Walk This Way" parody.

:pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke:

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

yep, its just THAT bad!

Proud Griz Man
December 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM

I guess beating Marshall at Marshall in 1995 does not count as a road win ?

???????

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I guess beating Marshall at Marshall in 1995 does not count as a road win ?

???????

We decided in the thread that we can't really count that. We're winless on the road. But then again, we haven't had TOO many chances. Last chance at road playoff was 2002 and McNeese.

Proud Griz Man
December 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM

JMU was good in 2004. UM will have to play a flawless game to win next weekend. Jmu was a good team in 2004 but ultimate beneficiary of a crappy field and lenient refs in 2004, and don't expect any better conditions this time. xreadx

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 02:09 AM
JMU was good in 2004. UM will have to play a flawless game to win next weekend. Jmu was a good team in 2004 but ultimate beneficiary of a crappy field and lenient refs in 2004, and don't expect any better conditions this time. xreadxJMU's field is artificial turf, much like Montana's, so I don't think the field will be an issue this time.

Proud Griz Man
December 7th, 2008, 02:09 AM

? not according to A10 man ??????

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Based on few random teams game notes 2 deep noone comes close to Montana. Wofford was bigger than i thought but still nowhere near as big as Montana. Lafayette also has a big oline by CAA/PL standards. They get giants in Easton. Most years the better PL teams can go toe-toe with CAA teams in the trenches. Where they often get killed is in speed.
Montana also has these monsters on their two deep
6'8 295
6'7 280
6'9 320 xeekx
6'9 320 xeekx xeekx

JMU
LT 6'4 300
LG 6'3 325
C 6'3 285
RG 6'3 285
RT 6'4 325

Villanova
OT 6'4 325
OG 6'3 295
C 6'3 285
OG 6'5 285
OT 6'4 300

Wofford
LT 6'3 300
LG 6'5 325
C 6'4 270
RG 6'3 322
RT 6'6 303

Lafayette
LT 6'3 295
LG 6'5 305
C 6'5 295
RG 6'2 295
RT 6'6 330

Lehigh
RT 6'3 300
RG 6'3 285
C 6'4 290
LG 6'4 290
LT 6'4 295

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Based on few random teams game notes 2 deep noone comes close to Montana. Wofford was bigger than i thought but still nowhere near as big as Montana. Lafayette also has a big oline by CAA/PL standards. They get giants in Easton. Most years the better PL teams can go toe-toe with CAA teams in the trenches. Where they often get killed is in speed.
Montana also has these monsters on their two deep
6'8 295
6'7 280
6'9 320 xeekx
6'9 320 xeekx xeekx

Most shocking about these numbers are height. These guys are tall. Which means that weight is not fat. I see them all over campus and am friends with Colin Dow, amazing strength and speed

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Most shocking about these numbers are height. These guys are tall. Which means that weight is not fat. I see them all over campus and am friends with Colin Dow, amazing strength and speedOh that's right...

Aren't you a Senior High grad? xrolleyesxxlolx

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Oh that's right...

Aren't you a Senior High grad? xrolleyesxxlolx

No sir. My cousin is. I'm a Helena High grad. My cousin is a few years older than me. Knows him, and we've hung out before.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Go Griz. Need some better offense, Cole.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Go Griz. Need some better offense, Cole.

427 yards for the griz against weber. That's not too shabby.
314 of those came on the ground, which means we didn't have to resort to passing so much. Only 113 yards passing.

And our defense held the prolific offense of Weber to 387, which is good considering their average.

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM
No sir. My cousin is. I'm a Helena High grad. My cousin is a few years older than me. Knows him, and we've hung out before.Ahh, that must be Grizband or someone I'm thinking of.

I'm going to boooo! your cousin, anyways. Go West! xlolx

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Ahh, that must be Grizband or someone I'm thinking of.

I'm going to boooo! your cousin, anyways. Go West! xlolx

Well in that case, you'll be happy to know that I despise Capital...but at least we could beat them :p

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Well in that case, you'll be happy to know that I despise Capital...but at least we could beat them :pOh that's just cold....xnonono2x

xlolx

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Dukessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssss

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Dukessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssss
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/voldemort.jpg

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 03:03 AM
427 yards for the griz against weber. That's not too shabby.
314 of those came on the ground, which means we didn't have to resort to passing so much. Only 113 yards passing.

And our defense held the prolific offense of Weber to 387, which is good considering their average.

The points weren't there though. that 4 down situation with no points inside the 10 was a bummer.

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/voldemort.jpg

http://www.jmu.edu/montpelier/2005Winter/wm_library/NationalChampions01002.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAYkQg3zC4&feature=related

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 03:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAYkQg3zC4&feature=relatedI was just making a joke.

<<<<< Smack board is that way. xcoffeex

JMUPHAN
December 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM
JMU's field is artificial turf, much like Montana's, so I don't think the field will be an issue this time.

I heard the NCAA was going to lay sod in Harrisonburg starting Monday morning just for this game.

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I heard the NCAA was going to lay sod in Harrisonburg starting Monday morning just for this game.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Mich Griz
December 7th, 2008, 07:11 AM
If size is that important. I'll take JMU's band by 20. The Griz line is big maybe bigger then most but the difference is they have an attitude. None of the up front guys (and there's about 8 they rotate in all about the same size) have talked to the press all year they refuse to give interviews. They let their play do all the talking. Keep your head on a swivel if your near a pile because DJ Quinn #69 plays thru the whistle and then some. He carries a big chip on his wide shoulders.Tough winning on the road. Had a good time in Tenn with the Duke fans. It will be a good rematch. Toss up.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAYkQg3zC4&feature=related

Bet you weren't even around in 2004.

Dukie95
December 7th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure how to say this without it sounding like smack, but here goes...

I think the difference in this game is each team's strength of schedule. Week after week, JMU has faced the biggest, toughest fastest teams in the country and beaten the top teams from the top two conferences. Montana hasn't really seen anyone outside the Big Sky.

I take nothing away from Montana, I know they have a lot of talent, but it's all relative to the other teams in the Big Sky. JMU has size and speed relative to the CAA and SoCon.

We saw this last year with Wofford, the year before with UMass and with JMU in '04. I wouldn't be surprised if JMU wins by double-digits, and I have been VERY conservative in my picks to date.

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I know Montana won two national championship games but, other than that, have the Griz yet won a road playoff game? I know that as of fairly recently they hadn't. I'd look it up but I can't find the historical playoff results including who was home that I used to be able to find on I-aa.org then later on collegesportingnews.com.

T-Dogg
December 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM
GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOO GGGGRRRRIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure how to say this without it sounding like smack, but here goes...

I think the difference in this game is each team's strength of schedule. Week after week, JMU has faced the biggest, toughest fastest teams in the country and beaten the top teams from the top two conferences. Montana hasn't really seen anyone outside the Big Sky..

I've watched A-10/CAA quite a few times over the years. I agree that it is the strongest league top to bottom. But it has not been, in my opinion, a particularly "fast" league. I'm not saying they've looked slow. I'm just saying that I never looked at them and thought, "wow, they look fast." In my opinion, the better Big Sky teams typically have more overall team speed than the better A-10/CAA teams do. I guess somebody would have to get a stopwatch out and time every player under the same conditions to be sure of whether the impression I've developed in the past is accurate or not. Also, I haven't seen any CAA teams play yet this year so it could be different. I did notice that a UNI fan thought UNH was very fast (in fact, the comment kind of surprised me based on my having watched A-10/CAA teams over the years).

I'm sure someone must've already pointed out that Montana did play and beat Cal Poly...which did take Wisconsin to the wire and lost that game only because the Mustangs had placekicking problems.

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Bet you weren't even around in 2004.

Actually that was my senior year and Yes I went to CHATTY

JMU DJ
December 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
JMU was good in 2004. UM will have to play a flawless game to win next weekend. Jmu was a good team in 2004 but ultimate beneficiary of a crappy field and lenient refs in 2004, and don't expect any better conditions this time. xreadx

I don't see how the field conditions gave us the benefit in that game. Anyone would have had trouble playing on a surface that was constantly moving beneath your feet. It literally looked like someone had taken a tractor and plowed the center of the the field. I was there, didn't seem like either team had trouble getting their offense or defense going as total yards and defensive stats for both teams are very similar.

Should be a good game now that we will be meeting on a solid field. Let's just hope the refs are good, I don't want a win to be tainted by "if the ref hadda made that call" or "if the ref hadn't blew that call."

Go Dukes!

NovaHater
December 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'm sure someone must've already pointed out that Montana did play and beat Cal Poly...which did take Wisconsin to the wire and lost that game only because the Mustangs had placekicking problems.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, Cal Poly almost beat Wisconsin !
Montana has to be the favorite in this one, glad JMU beat NOVA so we don't have to play that Big Sky juggernaut.

If the Dukes aren't motivated enough to make it to the National Championship, this should do it....if they can beat the Griz, who beat Cal Poly, who almost beat Wisconsin, well, it wiil mean.....xoopsx

mlbowl
December 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Montana has to be the favorite in this one, glad JMU beat NOVA so we don't have to play that Big Sky juggernaut.

If the Dukes aren't motivated enough to make it to the National Championship, this should do it....if they can beat the Griz, who beat Cal Poly, who almost beat Wisconsin, well, it wiil mean.....xoopsx

Take your sarcastic azz to the smack board!!!xrulesx

gbhmt
December 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I think that Shann Schillinger at free safety will be enough help for the corners on pass defense, and if there is anyone in the nation who can and will tackle Landers alone in the open field, it's Colt Anderson. That's going to be a big factor for us on defense.

BCS Sucks
December 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know about Trumaine Johnson's Injury he's been out for a month now

Mich Griz
December 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I don't see how the field conditions gave us the benefit in that game. Anyone would have had trouble playing on a surface that was constantly moving beneath your feet. It literally looked like someone had taken a tractor and plowed the center of the the field. I was there, didn't seem like either team had trouble getting their offense or defense going as total yards and defensive stats for both teams are very similar.

Should be a good game now that we will be meeting on a solid field. Let's just hope the refs are good, I don't want a win to be tainted by "if the ref hadda made that call" or "if the ref hadn't blew that call."

Go Dukes!

JMU hadn't been scored upon in the first quarter of any game in 2004. The Griz marched right down the field and put up 6 in less then 4 minutes. It wasn't until the conditions deteriorated that JMU gained an edge. We lost our ability to run timing routes and counters and the bigger JMU OL took over in what had to be one of the most embarrassing moments in Chatannooga's sports history.

Hellgate60
December 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know about Trumaine Johnson's Injury he's been out for a month now

He didn't suit up last week against Texas State but he did suit up yesterday. I also saw him play with the first team defense during warm ups.

BCS Sucks
December 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
K thanks helgate 60 that great news

BCS Sucks
December 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
k thanks helgate 60 thats great newsxthumbsupx

putter
December 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Typical - Big Sky teams don't play anyone, weak conference, bla, bla, bla. JMU is the #1 team in the nation for one reason....they deserve it. They have beat quality teams and put themselves into position to get to Nooga. Montana has played Cal Poly who had one, if not the best, receivers in the nation..have twice played against one of the top rushers in the nation in Weber's Smith. Teams with speed, Texas State and teams that pound the ball have all been thrown at Montana. I think the biggest difference in this game will be the play of Landers. Montana has seen running QB's this year but none the likes of what he brings to the table. Pressure on him will be key.

Montana's defense has done nothing but get better since that Weber loss and in the rematch they went from 45 to 13 points...lets hope this trend continues. Contrary to what you believe, Weber has a very good offense.

Longhorn
December 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I've watched A-10/CAA quite a few times over the years. I agree that it is the strongest league top to bottom. But it has not been, in my opinion, a particularly "fast" league. I'm not saying they've looked slow. I'm just saying that I never looked at them and thought, "wow, they look fast." In my opinion, the better Big Sky teams typically have more overall team speed than the better A-10/CAA teams do. I guess somebody would have to get a stopwatch out and time every player under the same conditions to be sure of whether the impression I've developed in the past is accurate or not. Also, I haven't seen any CAA teams play yet this year so it could be different. I did notice that a UNI fan thought UNH was very fast (in fact, the comment kind of surprised me based on my having watched A-10/CAA teams over the years).

To each their own, but the only meaningful question regarding team speed right now is how do the Griz and JMU compare in 2008?

And while you're entitled to draw your own conclusions about past play, honestly, if fans watching the UNI/UNH game thought UNH was very fast, you've not seen anything yet. JMU is an extraordinarily fast and athletic team, on both sides of the ball. The OL is still big and physical, that much has carried over from the 2004 NC team, but there are 8-9 skill players on JMU's O than can score in a heartbeat from anyplace on the field. In fact, and I've watched decades of JMU FB, never in the program's history has JMU boasted such a diverse, gifted and fast set of skill players. This group will run by you, around you, or over you. They can do it all.

On the other side of the line, JMU's D uses it's speed to swarm to the ball. It's a young defense, particularly at LB, and has been maligned only in as much as its performance (especially in tackling) hasn't matched the production of JMU's O. Still, the corners are much better (read faster more athletic) than those on the '04 NC team, and the DL, especially the DEs, are very, very impressive. Look for Moats and Wahid coming off the edges to wreck havoc in the backfield, and the man in the middle at SS, Marcus Haywood, well, he's a pure hitman. He will flat out smoke receivers and RBs when he tackles.

One last thought...home field advantage. I know Montana fans know something about that! xnodx JMU can be beaten at home...it's happened 4 times in the last 4 years...by 1, 1, 2, and 3 points. So, while it can be done, I wouldn't count on it. ;)

Safe travels to all those from Big Sky country that decide to make the trip East to Virginia.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM
In you want to get a feel for speed, just look at the UR-ASU game yesterday. Everyone says that ASU is the fastest team, but UR certainly was with them step-for-step the whole game. JMU's defense is very similar to UR in terms of undersized guys that can fly.

I think that JMU will win at home. It's a long trip for Montana which never helps and I think that JMU has so much confidence with winning close games all year. Hope for a JMU-UR rematch in Chatty.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The one real big unknown is how good is Montana really, and I don't think anyone has a real great idea about that. Montana, Cal Poly, and Weber all pretty much didn't have a lot of games outside of the West (geography sort of mandates that) and the playoffs kept them together so now Montana is in the semis. JMU is good, and we have plenty of evidence to prove that, but Montana comes in as a big, big unknown.

History shows that quite often homefield advantage means little by the semi-final round - it's easier to find years when at least one semifinal team won on the road than it is to find a year when both home teams won. This could be a much closer game than people would imagine it will be.

BCS Sucks
December 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think the final score is Griz 14 JMU 13 since Texas St scored 13 and weber scored 13 so jmu will score 13 and i know everybody going to say those two teams dont even compare to JMU but i dont care

Longhorn
December 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
This could be a much closer game than people would imagine it will be.

Or, it could be a blow out. ;)

Duke Dawg
December 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Montana has played Cal Poly who had one, if not the best, receivers in the nation..have twice played against one of the top rushers in the nation in Weber's Smith. Teams with speed, Texas State and teams that pound the ball have all been thrown at Montana.

but the only one of those you played on the road was the first against Weber....and you lost that.

Duke Dawg
December 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
oops...I was incorrect...the poly game was on the road.

JMU DJ
December 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I think the final score is Griz 14 JMU 13 since Texas St scored 13 and weber scored 13 so jmu will score 13 and i know everybody going to say those two teams dont even compare to JMU but i dont care

History tends to show that JMU wins 14-13 in tough playoff situations. Just ask Lehigh and Furman of 2004. xrulesx Besides, the only way JMU scores 13 is if we miss an extra point, Mickey goes for it on 4th down. Ask App State 2007 fans... xnonono2x

Duke Dawg
December 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
history also shows that JMU has not scored less than 31 points in any game this year when it's not pouring down rain.

Is there any reason to believe this week will be different?

Not really.

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I know Montana won two national championship games but, other than that, have the Griz yet won a road playoff game? I know that as of fairly recently they hadn't. I'd look it up but I can't find the historical playoff results including who was home that I used to be able to find on I-aa.org then later on collegesportingnews.com.

We beat Marshall at their place in the '95 championship game, and if anyone doesn't consider that a road game, they're a moron.

And yes, I realize that was 13 years ago.

BCS Sucks
December 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM
History tends to show that JMU wins 14-13 in tough playoff situations. Just ask Lehigh and Furman of 2004. xrulesx Besides, the only way JMU scores 13 is if we miss an extra point, Mickey goes for it on 4th down. Ask App State 2007 fans... xnonono2x

Actually sunshine jmu can score a touchdown and then kick two field goals cause you know im know math expert but i think 7+3+3=13 xlolx

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
After watching that video of Landers, it's pretty clear that the only way to stop him is to keep him off the field; and with the ball control offense that we've been playing of late, I think there's a pretty good chance we can do that. If we have a bunch of 3 and outs early, though, it could be a very long day (or night) for the Griz. xtwocentsx

GRZZ
December 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM

He was responding to someone comparing schedules. What the hell did you expect him to say? You're right, we didn't play or beat anyone all year. He didn't mention that Cal Poly was on the road. Most people on this board think CP was a rather good team this year. The prompt was discussing who each team played.

I'm sorry someone whizzed in your cheerios this morning. xsmiley_wix

elkmcc
December 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
but the only one of those you played on the road was the first against Weber....and you lost that.

Wrong. The season opener against Cal Poly was at SLO.

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Villanova and UR probably have the two best defenses in all FCS this year.

JMU put up 38 on UR
JMU put up 23 on VU the first time in driving wind and rain
JMU put up 31 on VU in round II

It seems JMU scores on every posession. Landers is almost unstoppable. CHeck that, he IS unstoppable. Villanova did a great job shutting down our rushing attack, yet Landers still put up 147 on the ground.

Montana will need to score early and often if they want to have a chance in this game. If JMU can stop Montana and keep them from scoring on 1-2 posessions in the first half, JMU should have a lead going into halftime.

JMU DJ
December 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Actually sunshine jmu can score a touchdown and then kick two field goals cause you know im know math expert but i think 7+3+3=13 xlolx

This is true, but my point was that Mickey tends to go for it on 4th down instead of making the safe call. Such as kicking the field goal or punting. I no know how to do maph. xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm gonna go with the Griz. Heavy underdog with lots of doubters. I think it is time to break the road playoff winless streak. I know the Griz are a western team, but we are a solid team and I REALLY hope JMU and their fans continue to make their plans for Chatty xpeacex

blur2005
December 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
After watching Rodney in the 'Nova game in the Bridgeforth stands yesterday, I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens against Montana, he will put JMU in a position to win through pure force of will. Some of the first downs he got just show me how much he wants this. The best one was when he stiff-armed a defensive end to the ground and then turned up field on the run, juked a guy, and then went falling forward for the first on what I think was a 3rd and 11. The guy just has no quit.

DaGriz
December 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
After watching Rodney in the 'Nova game in the Bridgeforth stands yesterday, I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens against Montana, he will put JMU in a position to win through pure force of will. Some of the first downs he got just show me how much he wants this. The best one was when he stiff-armed a defensive end to the ground and then turned up field on the run, juked a guy, and then went falling forward for the first on what I think was a 3rd and 11. The guy just has no quit.

That sounds almost like an identical play from our QB yesterday only he didn't straight arm a DE. Our QB also had a nice 4th and 5 38 yard run up the middle for a TD. Is there any highlight videos from JMU's game yesterday? I wasn't able to watch that game.

On a side note, I love the disrespect card both sides are playing. It's the most playoff appearances team with one loss on the year vs. the number one team in the country at home. I don't think either team is looking down on the other team or thinks it's going to be a cake walk. This should be a well fought game hopefully coming down to the wire.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I think JMU wins this game by 2 scores. Good luck, Dukes.

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Damnit. People, come on, start voting for the grizz in the poll. Jmu is 2-0 when AGS votes against us! ;)

JMU DJ
December 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Damnit. People, come on, start voting for the grizz in the poll. Jmu is 2-0 when AGS votes against us! ;)

Have no fear, Coulson will pick against us. It. is. his. destiny.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Don't be so sure of it. HAHA. HE might actually choose against us because he literally hates the Griz. You might think he hates you until he picks you this week.

jmufan999
December 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
OH FOR GOD'S SAKES, can we STOP with the "oh i hope people keep overlooking the Griz" CRAP??? it is SO INCREDIBLY STUPID. WE ARE JUST POSTERS ON A MESSAGE BOARD. WHAT WE SAY HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON ANY GAME. EVER. EEEEVVVVVVVER. all that matters is what the players think, and they're not on these boards anyway. it's the most asinine, half-witted argument you could possibly make. oh and by the way, all i read last week was how we weren't giving Nova any credit, they were going to get "revenge", blah blah blah... how'd that work out for them? that argument is so ridiculously stupid that it makes me want to vomit.

jmufan999
December 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Don't be so sure of it. HAHA. HE might actually choose against us because he literally hates the Griz. You might think he hates you until he picks you this week.

haha, that's interesting. just wait though... he REALLY hates JMU. as in, lots of our fans write him hate mail ALL the time, and he responds... then they post it on our message boards. plus, JMU beat his team, ASU, so he's pissed about that.

he'll pick Montana. he has picked against us for UMass, Villanova TWICE, App State, Richmond, and Wofford. we won all of them. he is our good luck charm. :) and he's also a douche.

Grizaholic17
December 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
haha, that's interesting. just wait though... he REALLY hates JMU. as in, lots of our fans write him hate mail ALL the time, and he responds... then they post it on our message boards. plus, JMU beat his team, ASU, so he's pissed about that.

he'll pick Montana. he has picked against us for UMass, Villanova TWICE, App State, Richmond, and Wofford. we won all of them. he is our good luck charm. :) and he's also a douche.

I like how we argue about this. I hope he picks you because that seems to be the curse. :p

GRZZ
December 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM

You could probably switch Montana and JMU in that paragraph and it would still be true. He really gets under some people's skin in Griz Land as well and I have seen the posted email responses as well. xrotatehx

gbhmt
December 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
history also shows that JMU has not scored less than 31 points in any game this year when it's not pouring down rain.

Is there any reason to believe this week will be different?

Not really.

Weber State averages 34 points a game.

Was there any reason to think yesterday was gonna be different?

Look at the score of the game and it'll answer your question.

HensRock
December 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I've said it's going to be an All-CAA final, and even though I thought it would be Villanova, I've got to stick with it and pick JMU.
I think the Dukes will win big.

ericsaid
December 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Montana wins 31-21. JMU's last second magic is running on empty.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
OH FOR GOD'S SAKES, can we STOP with the "oh i hope people keep overlooking the Griz" CRAP??? it is SO INCREDIBLY STUPID. WE ARE JUST POSTERS ON A MESSAGE BOARD. WHAT WE SAY HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON ANY GAME. EVER. EEEEVVVVVVVER. all that matters is what the players think, and they're not on these boards anyway. it's the most asinine, half-witted argument you could possibly make. oh and by the way, all i read last week was how we weren't giving Nova any credit, they were going to get "revenge", blah blah blah... how'd that work out for them? that argument is so ridiculously stupid that it makes me want to vomit.

xcoffeex xwhistlex

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM

$10 says you made this same comment after ASU, UR, 'Nova Pt. I, Wofford, etc.

Sometimes it's just good game management and great play. No?

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
We beat Marshall at their place in the '95 championship game, and if anyone doesn't consider that a road game, they're a moron.

And yes, I realize that was 13 years ago.

Yes, I knew about that one. It was one of the two championship games they won on the road.

I'm pulling for Montana in this one but the fact is that the Griz don't have a real good road record historically in the playoffs. It just makes it tougher to pick them. I know every year is different. But I was able to find the stuff at http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/brackets.html , and as far as I can tell that win in the championship game at Marshall is the only win Montana's ever had in the playoffs on the opponent's home field. Another way to look at it is that Montana's never been able to make it to the championship game unless it played all its games at home to get there.

Believe me, I AM pulling for Montana. I'm as put off as anybody by the stuff Mickey Mathews comes up with to say. I just wouldn't bet on getting my wish for various reasons including Montana's historical lack of success in road playoff games.

th0m
December 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Ironically, the one big game where Coulson picked JMU was against Duke, which we lost of course. Still, I couldn't care less whatever he picks, I'd much rather read Bruce Dowd's article, regardless of who he picks.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ironically, the one big game where Coulson picked JMU was against Duke, which we lost of course. Still, I couldn't care less whatever he picks, I'd much rather read Bruce Dowd's article, regardless of who he picks.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, I knew about that one. It was one of the two championship games they won on the road.

I'm pulling for Montana in this one but the fact is that the Griz don't have a real good road record historically in the playoffs. It just makes it tougher to pick them. I know every year is different. But I was able to find the stuff at http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/brackets.html , and as far as I can tell that win in the championship game at Marshall is the only win Montana's ever had in the playoffs on the opponent's home field. Another way to look at it is that Montana's never been able to make it to the championship game unless it played all its games at home to get there.

Believe me, I AM pulling for Montana. I'm as put off as anybody by the stuff Mickey Mathews comes up with to say. I just wouldn't bet on getting my wish for various reasons including Montana's historical lack of success in road playoff games.

Don't get me wrong, there's no doubt that we have struggled in the few road playoff games we've played in the last 20 years or so, and I think it's probably a result of us having all those home games. Our players get used to extremely loud crowds that are hostile towards the visiting teams, and they're just not used to playing with a playoff-type crowd against them.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, there's no doubt that we have struggled in the few road playoff games we've played in the last 20 years or so, and I think it's probably a result of us having all those home games. Our players get used to extremely loud crowds that are hostile towards the visiting teams, and they're just not used to playing with a playoff-type crowd against them.

During the JMU-Villanova game the fans cheered everytime the Montana vs Weber score came up. At the end of the game there were cheers for we want Montana. I think its pretty obvious the Griz's reputation proceeds them at Bridgeforth. The same thing happened before the App state game. Expect a hostile crowd.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
During the JMU-Villanova game the fans cheered everytime the Montana vs Weber score came up. At the end of the game there were cheers for we want Montana. I think its pretty obvious the Griz's reputation proceeds them at Bridgeforth. The same thing happened before the App state game. Expect a hostile crowd.

It will be cute compared to what our boys have seen.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
One thing I was thinking about in to regards to the playoff road losses was, we used to be primarily an offensive minded team(70 points in the playoffs several times). We used to rely on outscoring the opponent and do just enough on defense to get the win. It seems to me, the Griz have shifted to more of a defensive mindset, rely on good D to get it done. Run the ball on offense and throw it enough to win. So, with that said, I think our team has a good shot with the consistency our D has shown this year. I am happy and proud of where our kids have made it this year and fully expect them to make any team earn a win and a NC if it isn't them that wins it. xnodx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Considering Bridgeforth is one of the top 5 hardest places to play. I kinda doubt it... Who has Montana faced this year that has a more hostile environment than JMU? Now if your talking about Montana's crowd kind of different when they are cheering for you and not booing you.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM

This is going to be a tough game for JMU, but do not act like "your boys" see a whole lot of hostile playoff environments of 14-16K.

I think others on here have already said that the last one was McNeese in '02. We don't bring in the crowds like Wa-Griz, but they won't all be cheering like the Griz are used to.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Considering Bridgeforth is one of the top 5 hardest places to play. I kinda doubt it... Who has Montana faced this year that has a more hostile environment than JMU? Now if your talking about Montana's crowd kind of different when they are cheering for you and not booing you.

Top 5? Have a link for that?

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Top 5? Have a link for that?

Based on attendance and the amount of games we've won at home. You want the stats look them up yourself. (side note: ASU, Montana, Delaware, JMU, UNI are my top 5 followed closesly by GSU)

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
This is going to be a tough game for JMU, but do not act like "your boys" see a whole lot of hostile playoff environments of 14-16K.

I think others on here have already said that the last one was McNeese in '02. We don't bring in the crowds like Wa-Griz, but they won't all be cheering like the Griz are used to.

If you have the same type of crowd from the 04 championship game, I don't see it being as hostile as you state. From what I remember your crowd was lacking some basic crowd knowledge. Your fans made noise when your team was on offense, and would not increase their noise when Montana would change their play at the line.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
If you have the same type of crowd from the 04 championship game, I don't see it being as hostile as you state. From what I remember your crowd was lacking some basic crowd knowledge. Your fans made noise when your team was on offense, and would not increase their noise when Montana would change their play at the line.

That was 4 years ago. A lot has changed for JMU since them.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Based on attendance and the amount of games we've won at home. You want the stats look them up yourself. (side note: ASU, Montana, Delaware, JMU, UNI are my top 5 followed closesly by GSU)

I would bet that McNeese would be in there too. Umass perhaps?

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Chatty vs. Home Game = Apples vs. Oranges.

Regardless, it will be more hostile than the friendly confines of Wa-Griz which I know you're not used to leaving.

(FWIW, I've never complained that Montana gets home games. They've earned them for the most part.)

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I would bet that McNeese would be in there too. Umass perhaps?

7 and 8 actually xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
One thing I was thinking about in to regards to the playoff road losses was, we used to be primarily an offensive minded team(70 points in the playoffs several times). We used to rely on outscoring the opponent and do just enough on defense to get the win. It seems to me, the Griz have shifted to more of a defensive mindset, rely on good D to get it done. Run the ball on offense and throw it enough to win. So, with that said, I think our team has a good shot with the consistency our D has shown this year. I am happy and proud of where our kids have made it this year and fully expect them to make any team earn a win and a NC if it isn't them that wins it. xnodx

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes finesse teams don't get on the plane and travel, but physical teams always do. Same is true at WaGriz. Thats why UMass was able to beat us, and Southland teams have not been able to.

DuckDuckGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Regardless, it will be more hostile than the friendly confines of Wa-Griz which I know you're not used to leaving.

(FWIW, I've never complained that Montana gets home games. They've earned them for the most part.)

Except for five or six times every regular season ;)

Some of the atmosphere's we have faced in the reg season - I think there are a few that are just as good as JMU if not better.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Very true. I'm glad you guys won yesterday. Its time for us to go on the road and see how good we can play. Win or lose, a road playoff game for the Griz is needed.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Except for five or six times every regular season ;)

Some of the atmosphere's we have faced in the reg season - I think there are a few that are just as good as JMU if not better.

Out of pure curiosity which teams are you talking about? And I reserve the right to revisit this after our game Friday regardless of the outcome. Hopefully we don't disappoint. xpeacex

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
7 and 8 actually xthumbsupx
Fair enoughxthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Out of pure curiosity which teams are you talking about? And I reserve the right to revisit this after our game Friday regardless of the outcome. Hopefully we don't disappoint. xpeacex

For one - I am not saying JMU has an average atmosphere. I have never been there so I can't make that call.

Montana State (packed house rivalry game)
Idaho State (when their dome is full its ear-popping loud)

That and most members of this team have played games at Iowa and Oregon.

One thing to also keep in mind is the amount of miles the Griz and other members of the Big Sky put on the travel roster during the season - traveling to Washington, California, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, and Utah. I would estimate that our odometer eclipses most teams'.

DuckDuckGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
RE: Road games.

I wish people would educate themselves a little more on this.

First off, Montana has obviously played a few road games in the last couple years and only lost once on the road since at Iowa in 2006 (that would be the Weber State game).

As far as road playoff games, one thing to keep in mind is that it's tough to say anyone would have won the games the Griz have played on the road in the playoffs. EVERY TEAM except one that Montana has played on the road in the playoffs has either WON or gone to the national championship. Most of those games were nailbiters. Food for thought.

Road playoff opponents
1989 - Georgia Southern - Champ
1994 - Youngstown State - Champ
1995 - Marshall - I count this as a road playoff win for the Griz since it was at Marshall's home stadium.
1996 - Marshall - Champ
1997 - McNeese State - Runner up
1998 - W. Illinois
2002 - McNeese State - Runner up

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM

First off, Montana has obviously played a few road games in the last couple years and only lost once on the road since at Iowa in 2006 (that would be the Weber State game).

As far as road playoff games, one thing to keep in mind is that it's tough to say anyone would have won the games the Griz have played on the road in the playoffs. EVERY TEAM except one that Montana has played on the road in the playoffs has either WON or gone to the national championship. Most of those games were nailbiters. Food for thought.

Road playoff opponents
1995 - Marshall - I count this as a road playoff win for the Griz since it was at Marshall's home stadium.
1996 - Marshall - Champ

Hopefully history repeats itself for Montana this year. :D

Peems
December 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
since none of the players were on the 2002 team or any of the ones before, which played on the road, it really seems to have no bearing. It's going to be tough, because 1. we are playing the best team in the country 2. we have to travel across the country and possibly play on a short week.

mtgrizfankb
December 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
But they are playing on a short week too. granteed the friday game, leaves us one less day of practice

bpcats
December 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Montana does a good job of not beating themselves. They are probably the most fundamentally strong team still playing. Their defensive line is very stout against the run but lack a pure speed rusher at the defensive end position. They do a good job of getting a push up the middle. JMU may be able to bust a couple of runs on them but nothing is going to come easy.

On offense they are very effective at running the ball. They do struggle a little against with a quicker defensive line when it comes to the running game. If Montana has the lead going into the 4th quarter it will be over for JMU. Bergquist is a very solid quarterback and has a great group of receivers to throw to. Mariani will is a big threat at receiver and returner.

Montana's weakness has usually been their slow starts especially on offense. If JMU can get up big in the first half then they should be able to hold on. Their running back runs hard and has pretty good speed.

Unless turnovers come into play, I would have to stick with Montana to pull out the win. Their offense can beat you both ways.

JMU should also be ready to Montana to go for on 4th down quite a few times and watch out for a fake punt or fg attempt.

Montana 31
JMU 24

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Road playoff opponents
1996 - Marshall - Champ
1998 - W. Illinois

To add to this...
Dickenson was injured in the 94 quarters and didn't play against YSU.
No one would beat that 96 Marshall team. In fact they made a rule that you can't compete in the playoffs the year before you move up because of them.
97: BS pass interference call on Mcneese's last drive that won it.
02: We were up 17 0 until we completely collapsed. Very frustrating.

I realize these excuses suck, but we have come very close in the past and I think this will be the year that we finally pull through.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM
To add to this...
Dickenson was injured in the 94 quarters and didn't play against YSU.
No one would beat that 96 Marshall team. In fact they made a rule that you can't compete in the playoffs the year before you move up because of them.
97: BS pass interference call on Mcneese's last drive that won it.
02: We were up 17 0 until we completely collapsed. Very frustrating.

I realize these excuses suck, but we have come very close in the past and I think this will be the year that we finally pull through.

My reasoning for the JMU win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvVxdj5n-QE

Saint3333
December 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Should be a close game and given the JMU team this year you have to give them the nod.

cats2506
December 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
For one - I am not saying JMU has an average atmosphere. I have never been there so I can't make that call.

Montana State (packed house rivalry game)
Idaho State (when their dome is full its ear-popping loud)

That and most members of this team have played games at Iowa and Oregon.

One thing to also keep in mind is the amount of miles the Griz and other members of the Big Sky put on the travel roster during the season - traveling to Washington, California, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, and Utah. I would estimate that our odometer eclipses most teams'.

xlolx xlolx xlolx you said Idaho State!

Some of your players were on the sidelines at Iowa (2006) and Oregon (2005)

At many of your BSC away games you have more fans than the home team. um does not do OOC road games. xsmhx

Probabley the only hostile game that any of your players have played in was at MSU (2007)

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM

At many of your BSC away games you have more fans than the home team. um does not do OOC road games. xsmhx

Probabley the only hostile game that any of your players have played in was at MSU (2007)

Listen man, I know you're a little slow, and as a cat fan that's expected, but how can you mention two OOC road games (Iowa and Oregon) and in the same breath claim that we "don't do OOC road games"? Not to mention Cal Poly this season. xrolleyesx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM

1) NOT our fault the rest of you don't care about your teams xsmiley_wix
2) Pretty sure we played in SLO this year, but my memory may be getting really bad xpeacex

FurmanPaladins4138
December 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM
JMU wins by 3.

cats2506
December 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
1) NOT our fault the rest of you don't care about your teams xsmiley_wix
2) Pretty sure we played in SLO this year, but my memory may be getting really bad xpeacex

Thats right you did play CP on the road THIS year, but only because you had somthing like a 3 for one deal (1 in SLO to 2 in fizzoula) and you had to honor it or the CP AD would never sign another deal with you again because you have bought out many of the "aways" in the past. um was forced into it because they were running out of teams that would sign a home and home with them.

Back to your regular scheduled programming now

Peems
December 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Friday it is...http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=7708&m=18

placidlakegriz
December 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Thats right you did play CP on the road THIS year, but only because you had somthing like a 3 for one deal (1 in SLO to 2 in fizzoula) and you had to honor it or the CP AD would never sign another deal with you again because you have bought out many of the "aways" in the past. um was forced into it because they were running out of teams that would sign a home and home with them.

Funny coming from the cats who are afraid to play CP.

fencer24
December 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Cal Poly at Bozeman? The only fans to show up would be the Griz fans to watch a quality team play. (It wouldn't be the Cats)

:D

Silenoz
December 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Don't be bitter that your team has to schedule so many body bag games in order to fund your team or anything xconfusedx

And I voted for JMU. I mean, it is the #1 team at home. Though I'd guess that we would win 4 out of 10 times

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
To each their own, but the only meaningful question regarding team speed right now is how do the Griz and JMU compare in 2008?

And while you're entitled to draw your own conclusions about past play, honestly, if fans watching the UNI/UNH game thought UNH was very fast, you've not seen anything yet. JMU is an extraordinarily fast and athletic team, on both sides of the ball. The OL is still big and physical, that much has carried over from the 2004 NC team, but there are 8-9 skill players on JMU's O than can score in a heartbeat from anyplace on the field. In fact, and I've watched decades of JMU FB, never in the program's history has JMU boasted such a diverse, gifted and fast set of skill players. This group will run by you, around you, or over you. They can do it all.

On the other side of the line, JMU's D uses it's speed to swarm to the ball. It's a young defense, particularly at LB, and has been maligned only in as much as its performance (especially in tackling) hasn't matched the production of JMU's O. Still, the corners are much better (read faster more athletic) than those on the '04 NC team, and the DL, especially the DEs, are very, very impressive. Look for Moats and Wahid coming off the edges to wreck havoc in the backfield, and the man in the middle at SS, Marcus Haywood, well, he's a pure hitman. He will flat out smoke receivers and RBs when he tackles.

One last thought...home field advantage. I know Montana fans know something about that! xnodx JMU can be beaten at home...it's happened 4 times in the last 4 years...by 1, 1, 2, and 3 points. So, while it can be done, I wouldn't count on it.

Safe travels to all those from Big Sky country that decide to make the trip East to Virginia.

Make that only 4 home losses in FIVE seasons, 04-08'
04': by 3 on last minute fg to semi final W&M team, JMU beat by 2 TDs in semifinal rematch
05': 5-1, lost by 3 to quarterfinal UR team
06': 5-0
07: 5-1, lost by 1 to semifinal UR team
08': 8-0

Heck, even in 03' a 6-6 JMU team was 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road. Since 03' JMU now (including Nova game yesterday):
33-4 at home
21-16 on the road

Even if you take away the 4 DII games (03'-06') at home and the 4 I-A games on the road and look at only I-AA games its 29-4 at home vs 21-12 on the road. JMU is clearly a better team at home. The 15,500 JMU stadium will probably have 17k+ with overflow and it will be loud. You probably won't hear a louder outdoor under 20k stadium in I-AA.

DirtyDukes
December 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
and if there is anyone in the nation who can and will tackle Landers alone in the open field

This man does not exist.

gbhmt
December 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
This man does not exist.

Tell Landers that, maybe he won't look out for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgqlG-qxTVM

NZNCRZY
December 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM

I know montana fans are great and washington grizzly stadium is a tough place to play, but how many points would you spot the griz for just playing at home? Numerous times montana has Blown out the other teams in the play offs by 20, 30, 40, points somtimes. To imply the griz only win because they are at home or because they have a week schedule is just rediculous. I don't know if the Montana can win this weekend but one thing is for sure, year after year after year the road to the NC games has to go through the Montana Grizzlies

WyomingGrizFan
December 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Quite actually, if not mistaken, during the time period that the Griz had a scheduled game on the road at Cal Poly a couple years back the airport personnel at Missoula Airport experienced a somewhat of a problem. Evidently one of their employees seemingly embezzled some funds that forced the Airport to switch from 100-person to 50-passenger planes which resulted in, if the Griz decided to honour their commitment to play on the road at Cal Poly their having to take two planes instead of but one in order to convey all the personnel (read team and coaches here) back and forth; this subsequently resulting in twice a charge for doing so. Making the possiblilty of a great game twice as costly; read personnel and fuel here for all those not living under a rock somewhere. At least, that's the reasoned from the outside that I can figure out that was reported in the newspapers over a period of time and putting two and two together (read 'four' here) etc., as well as what University members stated and were reported to have stated in allusion to at the time. MSU Bobcat fans (and others as well I assume have done) can go on and on like some kind of rationalization process etc. to appear like they're the injured victim, caped crusader striving to right apparent wrongs and all that but I mean really, isn't there a better way to expend your vastly valuable energy that acting like some peeved little brat? Really, you remind me of some self induced psychosis over in the Mid East somewhere waiting to blow, if not their temper, at least themselves up just to show how bad a victim they are. Get a life.

cats2506
December 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Quite actually, if not mistaken, during the time period that the Griz had a scheduled game on the road at Cal Poly a couple years back the airport personnel at Missoula Airport experienced a somewhat of a problem. Evidently one of their employees seemingly embezzed some funds that forced the Airport to switch from 100-person to 50-passenger planes which resulted in, if the Griz decided to honour their commitment to play on the road at Cal Poly their having to take two planes instead of but one in order to convey all the personnel (read team and coaches here) back and forth; this subsequently resulting in twice a charge for doing so. Making the possiblilty of a great game twice as costly; read personnel and fuel here for all those not living under a rock somewhere. At least, that's the reasoned from the outside that I can figure out that was reported in the newspapers over a period of time and putting two and two together (read 'four' here) etc., as well as what University members stated and were reported to have stated in allusion to at the time. MSU Bobcat fans (and others as well I assume have done) can go on and on like some kind of rationalization process etc. to appear like they're the injured victim, caped crusader striving to right apparent wrongs and all that but I mean really, isn't there a better way to expend your vastly valuable energy that acting like some peeved little brat? Really, you remind me of some self induced psychosis over in the Mid East somewhere waiting to blow, if not their temper, at least themselves up just to show how bad a victim they are. Get a life.

Better get your boots on boys, cause its getting deep in here

Madisonian
December 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
This week Coulson will claim that both JMU and Montana will be disqualified from the tournament on Thursday and ASU gets the second chance BYE to play the winner of the UNI v. UR game in Chattanooga.

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Well, I hope so because I'm sick of Mickey Mathews' crap.

And the stuff on how good the teams Montana has played on the road have been is reasonable.

But the fact remains: Montana has never made it to the national title game when it's had to venture out of the confines of Washington/Griz stadium during the first three rounds. If your boys to it this time, it'll be the first time they've ever done it.

Believe me, I'll be happier if they do it than if they don't. But I'm not expecting it.

And I would be expecting the Griz to win if they were playing at home.

WyomingGrizFan
December 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Probably the very same reason that such considerations went way over your head to begin with.

fencer24
December 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Somehow, this guy is what I think Cats2506 must look like.

http://snappedshot.com/archives/976-Islamic-Rage-Boy-Parody-Roundup.html

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM

I don't know if they make boots tall enough. I knew fizzoula didn't have much of an airport, but I never heard anything even slightly resembling that fable.

GrizNation93
December 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
This is going to be one hell of a game. The Griz have been playing lights out since the Weber loss. I don't know much abot JMU, but I got to catch the end of the Quarterfinal game on Saturday and they were pretty impressive on that last scoring drive. Is it Friday yet?

BCS Sucks
December 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I wish I could be like GOKATS and cats2506 and go through the playoffs hating on the griz

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I wish I could be like GOKATS and cats2506 and go through the playoffs hating on the griz

I wonder what it would be like to look up to the cats?

Turfwar
December 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
JMU wins this one, Rodney Landers is too much to handle. He is superhuman!!!

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM

I can't speak for cats2506, but for me the playoffs have absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does football for that matter. I hate the griz 24/7 52 weeks a year. Can't handle it? TS!!

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Coulson, or one of his interns as he claims, in JMU's biggest games picked:
JMU over Duke-WRONG
then #3 UMass over JMU-WRONG
then #1 ASU over JMU (by double digits 42-30)-WRONG
JMU over then #5 UR-RIGHT
then #7 Nova over JMU-WRONG
then #8/9 Wofford over JMU-WRONG
#6 Nova over JMU-WRONG

Plus in JMU's other 5 wins he underpicked JMU in 4:
NCCU picked JMU by 46 (60-14). JMU won by 49 (56-7). Ok, thats close.
W&M picked JMU by 14 (45-31). JMU won by 24 (48-24).
UD picked JMU by 18 (28-10) JMU won by 34 (41-7)
Towson picked JMU by 14 (35-21). JMU won by 31 (58-27).

Only overpick was Maine. Picked JMU by 20 (37-17). JMU won by 14 (24-10) in the rain.

But Coulson will not be making picks this week.......he'll still be in mourning over App State's loss. xhomerx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

fencer24
December 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
"
I can't speak for cats2506, but for me the playoffs have absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does football for that matter. I hate the griz 24/7 52 weeks a year. Can't handle it? TS!!"

And, pray tell, why should I care about what you feel? Except for the clutter of inanity that has nothing related to football, what exactly do you bring to this discussion?

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Intelligent words from the one who earlier this year said:

villanova also wont do anything this season, or next or the next UR is returning a lot of players and from what i saw ayt the App semi final game will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple of years, as for james madison, im sorry i cant say the same thing
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37943&page=5
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM

And outside of I-A games, what has that been?

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I hope so because I'm sick of Mickey Mathews' crap.

1) What crap?

2) Why do you care?

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
""

And, pray tell, why should I care about what you feel? Except for the clutter of inanity that has nothing related to football, what exactly do you bring to this discussion?

I wasn't responding to you, so don't worry about how I feel. I'm here to support JMU this week.

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I know montana fans are great and washington grizzly stadium is a tough place to play, but how many points would you spot the griz for just playing at home? Numerous times montana has Blown out the other teams in the play offs by 20, 30, 40, points somtimes. To imply the griz only win because they are at home or because they have a week schedule is just rediculous. I don't know if the Montana can win this weekend but one thing is for sure, year after year after year the road to the NC games has to go through the Montana Grizzlies

Just like last yr? xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

South Carolina Duke
December 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Coulson, or one of his interns as he claims, in JMU's biggest games picked:
JMU over Duke-WRONG
then #3 UMass over JMU-WRONG
then #1 ASU over JMU (by double digits 42-30)-WRONG
JMU over then #5 UR-RIGHT
then #7 Nova over JMU-WRONG
then #8/9 Wofford over JMU-WRONG
#6 Nova over JMU-WRONG

Plus in JMU's other 5 wins he underpicked JMU in 4:
NCCU picked JMU by 46 (60-14). JMU won by 49 (56-7). Ok, thats close.
W&M picked JMU by 14 (45-31). JMU won by 24 (48-24).
UD picked JMU by 18 (28-10) JMU won by 34 (41-7)
Towson picked JMU by 14 (35-21). JMU won by 31 (58-27).

Only overpick was Maine. Picked JMU by 20 (37-17). JMU won by 14 (24-10) in the rain.

But Coulson will not be making picks this week.......he'll still be in mourning over App State's loss. xhomerx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Word on the street is that he won't eat anything or come out of his room. :( xbawlingx
Bless his heart.........xnodx

cats2506
December 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I can't speak for cats2506, but for me the playoffs have absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does football for that matter. I hate the griz 24/7 52 weeks a year. Can't handle it? TS!!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbowx

fencer24
December 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I wasn't responding to you, so don't worry about how I feel. I'm here to support JMU this week.
Good for you, I could see why someone from Montana would want to do that.
You Go girl!!!:)

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Since we have some MSU fans supporting JMU. Care to tell us where JMU can do better and hold us to less than 35, and score more than 3?

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Good for you, I could see why someone from Montana would want to do that.
You Go girl!!!:)

Get your 'dark pink' panties out of your crack and worry about Fri. night, the griz have a lot more to worry about than a few Cats rooting for JMU.xnodx

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Since we have some MSU fans supporting JMU. Care to tell us where JMU can do better and hold us to less than 35, and score more than 3?

See the previous post.xnodx

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
It's not the fact that you guys are cheering for the teams we're playing (I really couldn't care less about that), it's the fact that you feel the need to spam every discussion thread about us with lame attempts at smack. xcoffeex

fencer24
December 7th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Get your 'dark pink' panties out of your crack and worry about Fri. night, the griz have a lot more to worry about than a few Cats rooting for JMU.xnodx

With your record of predictions, I would suppose that JMU has a lot more to worry about now that you are supporting them. Keep up the good work.

:D

DuckDuckGriz
December 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xbowx

....Yet you spend twice as much time obsessing over the Griz......

Way to prove your point xrolleyesx

BTW I know mom doesn't let you on the comp past nine, so if you wanna get back to me tomorrow, no problem.

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hey! I have an idea! Let's move away from the Montana State Montana smack and get back to the two teams playing this weekend! xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
See the previous post.xnodx

You're right GOKATS, I should get back in the film room with Bobby...xcoffeex

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hey! I have an idea! Let's move away from the Montana State Montana smack and get back to the two teams playing this weekend! xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

You are right JMU, we griz need to ignore the jabbing in our sides.

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 11:26 PM

I agree.xnodx There's a reason JMU has been #1 most of this season and I expect them to uphold that respect this weekend. Go JMU!!!!xthumbsupx

cats2506
December 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM

So JMU beat Richmond at their place, I saw UR's game yesterday and their team looks a lot like um's only more talented

How big was Richmonds O-line and what kind of yards did they put on your D.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM
So JMU beat Richmond at their place, I saw UR's game yesterday and their team looks a lot like um's only more talented

How big was Richmonds O-line and what kind of yards did they put on your D.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Just like how Weber looked more talented, huh?

I'm honestly glad we're the underdog. It's served us well this season. xnodx

Tod
December 8th, 2008, 05:21 AM
JMU should absolutely win this game. Just hoping for the upset.

xnodx xnodx xnodx

Linehawg
December 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I tend to lean "Anyone but JMU"....it's personal and a lot who've actually met Mickey Matthews understands that.

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I went with the Griz. Really was a coin flip for me. Both have good weapons on offense and capable defenses. Could come down to turnovers or Scottie McGee. Has he had much impact in the first 2 JMU wins????

AshevilleApp2
December 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I think JMU will eke out another one.:)

I agree. They seem to have the magic this year.

andy7171
December 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I voted for Montana, and my eternal hatred for JMU has nothing to do with it. :o

Actually if you guys were coming East to play ANYONE other than the Purple Dukes, I'd be inclined to make a road trip to meet some of you Griz fans.

BlueHen86
December 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Went with the home team.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I went with the Griz. Really was a coin flip for me. Both have good weapons on offense and capable defenses. Could come down to turnovers or Scottie McGee. Has he had much impact in the first 2 JMU wins????

He hasn't run anything back for a TD in the first two games of the playoffs.... but our field position certainly is better because of him.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM
A lot of people are talking about defense and a potential low scoring game.... but does anyone else think the opposite could be true? I, for one, would not be surprised at all to see a shootout.

4th and What?
December 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
He hasn't run anything back for a TD in the first two games of the playoffs.... but our field position certainly is better because of him.

2 games without a runback!!! - spells trouble for the Griz. He's DUE!!!!! :D

Trying to see if I can work out getting to this game, had to watch the NC in 2004 on TV, and it's not every year we get to play Montana. Looking forward to this.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
A lot of people are talking about defense and a potential low scoring game.... but does anyone else think the opposite could be true? I, for one, would not be surprised at all to see a shootout.JMU has a good offense, but the Griz have held better offenses to very low amount of points. The Griz also have a good, but not stellar offense, and JMU is solid on defense. Two primarily run-based teams with solid defenses usually don't score a ton of points.

I would be immensely surprised to see a shootout. I think this will be a low-scoring, close game, with neither team scoring over 30-35.

I hope I'm wrong, and the Griz put 50 up. xlolx:p

andy7171
December 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM
JMU has a good offense, but the Griz have held better offenses to very low amount of points. The Griz also have a good, but not stellar offense, and JMU is solid on defense. Two primarily run-based teams with solid defenses usually don't score a ton of points.

I would be immensely surprised to see a shootout. I think this will be a low-scoring, close game, with neither team scoring over 30-35.

I hope I'm wrong, and the Griz put 50 up. xlolx:p

Low scoring game with no one topping 35? xeyebrowx :p

Dukie95
December 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Low scoring game with no one topping 35? xeyebrowx :p

Yeah, I agree with your emoticons, Andy.

Montana is the 16th ranked offense and 18th ranked scoring offense
JMU is the 23rd ranked offense and the 2nd ranked scoring offense

Neither team has a defense impressive enough to slow down that kind of production.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Low scoring game with no one topping 35? xeyebrowx :pMy guess is the winner gets around 20-35, and the loser around 13-24.

Would you call 35-24 a Shootout? xeyebrowx

I wouldn't. :p

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I agree with your emoticons, Andy.

Montana is the 16th ranked offense and 18th ranked scoring offense
JMU is the 23rd ranked offense and the 2nd ranked scoring offense

Neither team has a defense impressive enough to slow down that kind of production.You sure about that?

Weber State -- 12th ranked scoring offense, 7th ranked total offense

Montana held them to 13 points

Texas State -- 7th ranked scoring offense, 8th ranked total offense

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM
You sure about that?

Weber State -- 12th ranked scoring offense, 7th ranked total offense

Texas State -- 7th ranked scoring offense, 8th ranked total offense

Montana will NOT hold JMU to 13 points. You can take that one to the bank. Montana will be lucky to hold JMU to less than 28 points.

andy7171
December 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
My guess is the winner gets around 20-35, and the loser around 13-24.

Would you call 35-24 a Shootout? xeyebrowx

I wouldn't. :p

No. But I wouldn't call it low scoring either. xpeacex

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Montana will NOT hold JMU to 13 points. You can take that one to the bank. Montana will be lucky to hold JMU to less than 28 points.I'm not saying we will necessarily, I'm just pointing out that it's not as if we haven't faced a good offense in the playoffs. We have the capability to hold JMU to a low score, but if we will remains to be seen. However, if JMU goes in thinking UM's defense isn't that good, they just might get embarrassed. xcoffeex

andy7171
December 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'm not saying we will necessarily, I'm just pointing out that it's not as if we haven't faced a good offense in the playoffs. We have the capability to hold JMU to a low score, but if we will remains to be seen. However, if JMU goes in thinking UM's defense isn't that good, they just might get embarrassed. xcoffeex

I don't think you will be lucky to have JMU overlooking your defense.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
No. But I wouldn't call it low scoring either. xpeacexI think 24-17 could end up being around the final score. That's why I think it will be a "low-scoring" game. But again, it depends on your definition. I'd say 45+ for both teams would be high-scoring, and below 30 for both teams to be low scoring.

To each his own, though. xpeacex

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not saying we will necessarily, I'm just pointing out that it's not as if we haven't faced a good offense in the playoffs. We have the capability to hold JMU to a low score, but if we will remains to be seen. However, if JMU goes in thinking UM's defense isn't that good, they just might get embarrassed. xcoffeex

I never said you were saying that. I was just stating that JMU will very likely be held to fewer than 28 points and that is respecting Montana's D. I also have not seen Montana play but I know JMU will likely not hold Montana to fewer than 21 points. xpeacex

***Side note. Are you making the trip?

Dukie95
December 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I wasn't ragging on Montana's D. In a game of high-powered offense, defense on both sides can take a back seat.

I see this as a 42-35 type score.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM
***Side note. Are you making the trip?I live in Tokyo. xlolx

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I live in Tokyo. xlolx

So you're not a real fan then. Staying at home and all. xsmiley_wix :D

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I live in Tokyo. xlolx

I mean everybody else from Montana is flying in why shouldn't you? I mean seriously the NCAA rules state once your in the air distance does not matter :D

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2008, 08:31 AM
JMU will not be overlooking anyone. But if you expect a team with the offense of JMU to be held to 13 points at home, I think you will be disappointed.

JMU has the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the country. This came with over half (maybe more depending on your view of the rankings) of our competition being top 25 teams, and with atleast UR, App State, Villanova x2, and Wofford being top 10 competition.

Furthermore, let's go down the list of teams that have held us under 30 points this year.

Duke (FBS) - held us to 7 points at Duke.
Maine - held us to 24 points in Maine in crappy weather.
Villanova - held us to 23 points in Philly in crappy weather.

Still think Montana will hold us to 13? Cause I don't. Do I think Montana is a bad team, absolutely not. I think they are a great team. But I don't think they will hold us to 13 points.... I also don't think we will hold them to 13 points either.

Dukie95
December 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
We aren't as high in total offense as on scoring offense because JMU is very efficient when on offense. We don't have too many 50 or 60 yard drives that stall. We tend to have very few drives but score on a high percentage of them and use a lot of clock.

In addition, we tend to have great field position because teams try to avoid our return threat.

Against Wofford, for example, we had 8 possessions; we punted once on the opening drive, they intercepted once and we kicked one field goal, every other possession was a TD.

Now, Montana's defense is better than Woffords, but I was using that as an illustration to explain why the #2 scoring offense doesn't rank so high in offensive yardage.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
JMU will not be overlooking anyone. But if you expect a team with the offense of JMU to be held to 13 points at home, I think you will be disappointed.

JMU has the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the country. This came with over half (maybe more depending on your view of the rankings) of our competition being top 25 teams, and with atleast UR, App State, Villanova x2, and Wofford being top 10 competition.

Furthermore, let's go down the list of teams that have held us under 30 points this year.

Duke (FBS) - held us to 7 points at Duke.
Maine - held us to 24 points in Maine in crappy weather.
Villanova - held us to 23 points in Philly in crappy weather.

Still think Montana will hold us to 13? Cause I don't. Do I think Montana is a bad team, absolutely not. I think they are a great team. But I don't think they will hold us to 13 points.... I also don't think we will hold them to 13 points either.Well, if we're going to go by streaks and trends...

Scores against the Griz:
EWU - 3
Sac. State - 7
Northern Colorado - 20 (14 pts scored against our third string guys)
NAU - 10
PSU - 12
ISU - 10
Montana State - 3
Texas State - 13
Weber State - 13 (Scored 45 on us earlier in the year)

That's a 10.1 Average over the last 9 weeks. Probably the best in FCS.

My point isn't that Montana will hold the Dukes to 13 or under 13....or under 20, or even under 45.

My point is that Montana has faced stellar offenses in the past, and gave up very, very few points. And I also don't think JMU will score as much as JMU fans seem to think. (Weber fans said the same thing, Texas State fans said the same thing, hell, even MSU fans said we'd never stop Crawford, and he never saw the endzone)

It's late here. I'm going to bed. xlolxxpeacex