PDA

View Full Version : So how did they (Richmond) do it?

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM
We had a thread about how to stop AE. Richmond apparently did it. Edwards had 8 rushes for 3 yards. He was 26 of 41 for 63.4% passing and 323 yards and a TD but he was intercepted 5 times.

In that other thread I wrote that I was interested in how things turned out because Richmond had the best defensive statistics of anybody App State had played in the playoffs 2005 - present. I also said I thought the best way to control Edwards is to go after him.

So what's the story?

Otherwise, outside of the Edwards question it's clear that Richmond took away App State's running game.

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Cue the 'Richmond didn't beat us, we beat ourselves' responses...xreadx

ericsaid
December 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
A reciever fell down at the goal line and was in position to make a TD grab. Then Coco dropped a ball right into the hands of a defender. Then Coco was running and for no reason what so ever dropped the ball. The 5th interception was an end of the game throw to the end zone that really meant nothing.

Other than that it was just Richmond dominating up front.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Good defense. Game was actually not the score would indicate.

th0m
December 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
At the risk of defending ASU, I think AE wasn't 100% recovered, which hampered his rushing capabilities. Edwards only had 48 yards last week against SCSU, so going by his standards, he was "stopped" that game as well.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
*as close as

MountaineerGuy
December 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
A reciever fell down at the goal line and was in position to make a TD grab. Then Coco dropped a ball right into the hands of a defender. Then Coco was running and for no reason what so ever dropped the ball. The 5th interception was an end of the game throw to the end zone that really meant nothing.

And he doesn't mean these things happened at different times. They literally happened in that rapid of a succession.

All of those and they were only up thirteen, so, yeah, I think it may have had just a tiny bit to do with the fact that our players were somewhere else today, at least as much as it did with Richmond playing "better than the entire SoCon" or "as good as/better than JMU."

YoUDeeMan
December 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
At the risk of defending ASU, I think AE wasn't 100% recovered, which hampered his rushing capabilities. Edwards only had 48 yards last week against SCSU, so going by his standards, he was "stopped" that game as well.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

JMU had injuries in 2007. Richmond lost their two starting DEs in 2007 and couldn't get pressure or that game could have been won. UD lost 3 of their starting O lineman and had several starting DL's out in the 2007 playoffs.

Injuries happen.

As someone already said, ASU got beat by a good defense.

T-Dog
December 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Seven turnovers. Part App's screw-ups, but mostly Richmond's great defense.

ericsaid
December 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I thought it was interesting to hear after the game that Pierre Banks and Coco Hilary were being drug tested, so maybe they were toking up before the game?(only a joke).

The game was really closer than the score indicates but it all comes down to a 6'0 232 pound bruiser at the end of the game, he pulled away from Jabari Fletcher who had him a few yards behind the LOS at the 11 or 16 and then Vaughn broke his grip and made it to the one and scored on the next play. App was still in the game really until then.

Also the three turnovers one after another in the third quarter. App's defense played relatively well to how many short fields they had to defend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
We had a thread about how to stop AE. Richmond apparently did it. Edwards had 8 rushes for 3 yards. He was 26 of 41 for 63.4% passing and 323 yards and a TD but he was intercepted 5 times.

In that other thread I wrote that I was interested in how things turned out because Richmond had the best defensive statistics of anybody App State had played in the playoffs 2005 - present. I also said I thought the best way to control Edwards is to go after him.

So what's the story?

Otherwise, outside of the Edwards question it's clear that Richmond took away App State's running game.

Either AE wasn't 100% or App. didn't run enough designed QB runs. App. probably still would have lost because of all of the turnovers (at least 3 of which were App. mistakes and not defensive plays).

Could have been a great game otherwise. Oh well.

ur2k
December 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
The key was pressure. The Richmond D made AE make some decisions he probably regrets. Our coverage downfield was great and allowed to D-line to create havoc back there.

The fact that he was banged up didn't help and the fact that App had no other running game to take the pressure off him also didn't help.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Everyone doubted that Logan and Siddbury being out last year made a difference. Well, last year 55 points, this year 13. Guess they are correct.

Appguy
December 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I thought it was interesting to hear after the game that Pierre Banks and Coco Hilary were being drug tested, so maybe they were toking up before the game?(only a joke).
They do tests throughout the season, I think they do even more random ones in the playoffs (a la Justin Wozeah gettin caught last year before NC game)

as for how they beat us, I wouldn't put it on Armanti as a lot have been, he missed some passes but at least 3 of his picks should have been caught and not bobbled into the air, or at least defended to the ground if they cant make the catch. I would say we didn't test them with the run enough, while it may not have been working, when you get one dimensional the defense starts to know whats coming which was the case when we got down 9-7. I certainly won't say we gave the game to them, but our receivers not making catches didn't hurt their chances.

A few things I didn't like seeing was our random trick plays in the first half with Armanti and Pressley out there. also I wasn't a huge fan of a few of the refs calls (I thought coco was down on the Kick return fumble) and they seemed to let plays go WAY TOO LONG(after forward motion was clearly stopped). real slow to blow the whistle on both ends.

ericsaid
December 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
It wasn't that it wasn't a great game because it really was a good game till about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

The DE's helped a lot but in the second half they really were blocked well. Just dumb mistakes but this exposed UR to Brian Quick, all 6'5 42 inch vertical of him. Which i'm kind of suprised no one has mentioned the jump ball he went up for in the middle of the field on a post route.

App played thier worst game of the year at the wrong time, and UR probably had their best game of the year at the right time. Congratulations(as much as it pains me to say).

ericsaid
December 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
They do tests throughout the season, I think they do even more random ones in the playoffs (a la Justin Wozeah gettin caught last year before NC game)

as for how they beat us, I wouldn't put it on Armanti as a lot have been, he missed some passes but at least 3 of his picks should have been caught and not bobbled into the air, or at least defended to the ground if they cant make the catch. I would say we didn't test them with the run enough, while it may not have been working, when you get one dimensional the defense starts to know whats coming which was the case when we got down 9-7. I certainly won't say we gave the game to them, but our receivers not making catches didn't hurt their chances.

A few things I didn't like seeing was our random trick plays in the first half with Armanti and Pressley out there. also I wasn't a huge fan of a few of the refs calls (I thought coco was down on the Kick return fumble) and they seemed to let plays go WAY TOO LONG(after forward motion was clearly stopped). real slow to blow the whistle on both ends.

The kick return was indeed a fumble, I was right in front of that play, at that point I knew Coco wouldn't be back in the game. Even though after a few series I believe he should have been put back in because he is a big help when he is in.

mistersykes
December 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Their defensive line completely dominated our offensive line. Armanti was under constant pressure, and its amazing that he was even able to get 300+ yards. However, it was that pressure that forced 2 of the interceptions from what I remember. Another catch was bobbled by Coco and intercepted, another tipped and intercepted, and the last one was a hail mary during which WR Brian Quick fell on the play. Also, with our offense, there's no way that we should be throwing 42 times, coming from behind or not. All considered, I think Armanti played a decent passing game, things just didn't work out.

As far as rushing, I don't know how to explain it. Armanti hasn't had the same burst as last year, plus everyone zeroed in on him now. With Radford and Welton bottled up, we had no other options really. Richmond's defense was just too stout. Like I said, I think it all came down to the OL vs DL.

Start gameplanning, UNH or UNI!

NovaHater
December 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
33-13 and some people have the nerve to mention REFS xoopsx

C'mon, App St was ahead at halftime, how in the world did the refs influence this game in the second half to produce a 20 pt win.

Don't give the UR defense any credit, it was a fluke, App St should get

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM

No I in team. Although there is an AE, he shouldn't have to carry it all on his shoulders.

gofurman
December 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I listened to App announcers and they said Richmond was just better on both lines - particularly the DEs.

IE, you REALLY have to wonder if Richmond had had their two stud DEs last year what the result would have been... (BOTH were missing last year).

BOTH lines were better for Richmond as their OL wore out Apps DL too - everyone knows your shot to beat App is to gouge them with runs behind a big OL ; but the key was Richmonds DL / front seven - App was ONE dimensional... NO RUN GAME WHATSOEVER

appstate1998
December 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Richmond beat us hands down...but as usual I question our play calling and of course this game is no different. Why change what has been working all year and try trick plays when it matters most....when Pressley came on the field I knew we were in trouble

gofurman
December 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Everyone doubted that Logan and Siddbury being out last year made a difference. Well, last year 55 points, this year 13. Guess they are correct.

You got that right. App should feel fortunate those guys were not in last year. Unfortunately that is football but I always wish both teams could line up full force and esp with their best players. Those two DEs are beasts.

I mean c'mon - those are Richmonds two Pro-prospects. And those were the very two missing from the DL last year. And RIchmond I think scored in the 30s both years. Difference was this year - with those guys - App can only muster 13 while last year, with AE running wild and NO DE pressure App puts up 55.

MacThor
December 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Weldon was a bigger factor than Logan or Sidbury. That guy was on fire....knifing in for several tackles-for-losses. He also laid a very nice stick on Armanti on the first play from scrimmage. It set the tone that AE was not going to run wild. When they forced ASU to pass, UR's DB's were up to the task. They've been ball-hawks all year. Our turnover +/- in the past three games has been sick.

Our OC seemed to wake up at halftime against EKU. He made some really nice calls in key situations, like the TE screen on 3rd down early in the fourth quarter.

If Crone can get healthy, and Ward can get a little more touch on his passes to wide-open receivers, UR is definitely a threat for the NC at this point.

mountaintop
December 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM

I'd like to see a healthy Armanti and a healthy Logan and Siddbury before rushing to any "correct" statements.

BTW, congrats to Richmond and best of luck in the remainder of the playoffs. Your crowd was great as well, really into it.

appstate1998
December 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
You got that right. App should feel fortunate those guys were not in last year. Unfortunately that is football but I always wish both teams could line up full force and esp with their best players. Those two DEs are beasts.

I mean c'mon - those are Richmonds two Pro-prospects. And those were the very two missing from the DL last year. And RIchmond I think scored in the 30s both years. Difference was this year - with those guys - App can only muster 13 while last year, with AE running wild and NO DE pressure App puts up 55.

i still feel like Richmond would have won this game on this day regardless, but don't compare last year because you could say the same about App without some of it's best players....how many running backs were we down...was AE even close to 100%..who knows.....but don't act like App was fortunate last year...they were the better team last year and Richmond was the better team this year

mistersykes
December 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I listened to App announcers and they said Richmond was just better on both lines - particularly the DEs.

Agreed. Both sides were dominant for UR.

B&G
December 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Ok, Richmond was healthier this year but two DE's weren't the only difference between 55 pts and 13 pts. You can also say ASU didn't have Kevin Richardson this year or a 100% Armanti Edwards. They both have different teams thus a different outcome.

Weird... this game simultaneously feels much closer than a 20 point game and also like much more of a blowout.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
A reciever fell down at the goal line and was in position to make a TD grab. Then Coco dropped a ball right into the hands of a defender. Then Coco was running and for no reason what so ever dropped the ball.

Sounds like acts of God to me. xcoffeex

:D

ab4app
December 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Richmond deserved to win this game hands down, it cant be argued. They simply out played us, looked like we were lacking fire or something from the start. Things just didnt go our way today, much like they didnt go woffords way when we played them. Not much you can do about that sometimes. The idea the 2 de's would have changed the outcome of last years game is ridiculous. You cant even debate that, I could just as easily say that since Moore(starting running back), Welton(Moores back up) , Radford(our speed back), Mcduffie (starting def back), Robertson(starting DE), Dowda(Loves replacement), Love(starting safety) and AE were all not close to game ready or not in the game at all due to injury, that if they had been healthy we would have won right? Injuries come with the territory and each team is forced to keep moving with whatever they have left when the playoffs come around. With all of our injuries I still thought we had a great shot at Richmond today, it just didnt happen, they played inspired, tough, flawless football, it was impressive to watch. They owned the day, all of the credit goes to them, we didnt get it done. So please stop with all of this talk about last year and this year and what might have been. We will take our butt whippin today like a man,cant wait for 09.... GREAT GAME RICHMOND, NOW GO BEAT THOSE DUKES in NOOGA, unless someone wants to do it next week.

boonegoon
December 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Defense. By the way, hats off to Apps defense. Had they not stepped up time and time again, it could have been uglier. I feel like we weren't 100% , kind of cloudy. I don't mean to take anything away from Richmond, they played great and inspired football. BUt we were in it even with unpteen turnovers. GOod luck therest of the playoffs and go win that thing.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ok, Richmond was healthier this year but two DE's weren't the only difference between 55 pts and 13 pts. You can also say ASU didn't have Kevin Richardson this year or a 100% Armanti Edwards. They both have different teams thus a different outcome.

Weird... this game simultaneously feels much closer than a 20 point game and also like much more of a blowout.

Or Dexter Jackson

AppIAA
December 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Or was it the fact that we did not run any QB draws, any reads, anything to get Armanti out of the pocket.. we were not a healthy team. Dont get me wrong, Richmond deserved to win, but it was not all because of your DEs.

In fact, how can you say that even after 5 turnovers, App was still only down by 10 and had the game well within reach?

mtnman
December 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM
they beat us up all day on both sides of the ball,they kicked our a$$ up front

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Is there anything to the idea that Richmond used last year's game as motivation to stop AE. 313 yards rushing then versus 3 today, I know that Richmond had some players who did not play last year, but I have to think there was more to it than that. Did Richmond's D have something to prove?

AppIAA
December 6th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Is there anything to the idea that Richmond used last year's game as motivation to stop AE. 313 yards rushing then versus 3 today, I know that Richmond had some players who did not play last year, but I have to think there was more to it than that. Did Richmond's D have something to prove?

The difference with Armanti's rushing numbers had to do with his health.. Granted, Richmond did hold him down well but there were only maybe 4 designed runs by Armanti -- that is way to few for our offense.

Plus, when Armanti is at his best is when he rolls out of the pocket and see a lot of green in front of him and takes off -- he just was not doing that the past two weeks..

I really think we needed to put Pressley in there starting the 4th.. it just was not Armanti out there

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Exactly!!

AppIAA
December 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Exactly!!

Yup, because every App fan on here said that we should have won and would have had Armanti been healthy..

Oh wait, no its the exact opposite.. every single one is saying Richmond played an amazing game and deserved to win..

Saint3333
December 7th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Richmond reminds me a lot of the 2005 ASU team with 2 NFL caliber DEs, a solid RB and big o-line. UNI could be having nightmares on the 2005 championship game next weekend. I'll be pulling for UNI as they are the best program never to win it all, but I think Richmond wins if they stay focused and play defense like they did yesterday.

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM
In fact, how can you say that even after 5 turnovers, App was still only down by 10 and had the game well within reach?

Poor play from Ward in the first half, and Howard's kicking woes kept the game close. Ward missed two wide open guys for TDs that would have spread the margin. UR got zero points in both instances.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Simply put....Richmond is a SOLID team, especially on D.

ASUG8
December 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Turnovers killed us, and AE not being 100% kept us out of the running in this game. Richmond beat us, Bandl - there's no way to sugarcoat it. I think it should have been a touchdown closer with the UR receiver running out of bounds, coming back in bounds, and making a catch clearly out of bounds. That being said, there was still too much of a deficit for the App team that took the field yesterday to make up. Congrats UR on a well executed game plan and good luck next week!

AppIAA
December 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Poor play from Ward in the first half, and Howard's kicking woes kept the game close. Ward missed two wide open guys for TDs that would have spread the margin. UR got zero points in both instances.

So you can say that it was because of poor kicking and poor QB play that the score was so close.. but if App fans say it was because of our poor QB play we get jumped on that it was because of good defense.. double standard there!

Have you ever thought that maybe App played good defense too?? And the kicking troubles -- you go ahead and kick a fg in the wind and snow blowing.. we had kicking blunders too

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
So you can say that it was because of poor kicking and poor QB play that the score was so close.. but if App fans say it was because of our poor QB play we get jumped on that it was because of good defense.. double standard there!

Have you ever thought that maybe App played good defense too?? And the kicking troubles -- you go ahead and kick a fg in the wind and snow blowing.. we had kicking blunders too

What wind? It didn't seem to be blowing at all on TV.

Ward missed two receivers who were wide open for TDs in the first half. They were 20 to 25 yards downfield, and he was not pressured. Defense did not cause those misses.

ericsaid
December 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Ward missed two receivers who were wide open for TDs in the first half. They were 20 to 25 yards downfield, and he was not pressured. Defense did not cause those misses.

If you wanna play that game Brian Quick burnt Richmonds best corner for some big catches. On #5 i'm guess who is Justin Rogers? His lone interception came on a pass where Brian Quick fell down. He's 6'5 with a 42 inch vertical so it's safe to say he would have either made the catch or knocked it down because he was in perfect position to make the catch.

If he catches that ball its 26-20. Instead he falls and the balls intercepted and UR milks 7 minutes off the clock.

No defenders made BQ fall down did they?xoopsx xnonox

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
<sigh> Plus don't forget the 2 pick-6's that UR dropped.

How'd they do it? With a lead, they marched 80 yards and chewed up a ton of clock, making key first downs to keep a drive alive and ASU's offense off the field, punctuated with a TD.

AppIAA
December 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM

I assume you were there and watching the game on tv as well? If you are not there, you do not know if there was wind.. trust me there was WIND and it was cold!!!

No need to argue with you over the second statement.. you obviously know everything since you knew there was no wind..

Just look through your double standards

AshevilleApp2
December 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Richmond's line dominated on both sides of the ball. No need for excuses. We got beat.

AppIAA
December 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I agree.. they played well and deserved to beat us..

I am just arguing with Tribe saying we were never in the game.. Too bad we were for most of the game

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I assume you were there and watching the game on tv as well? If you are not there, you do not know if there was wind.. trust me there was WIND and it was cold!!!

Of course I wasn't there, and couldn't feel any wind. Just going from the appearance, lack of commentary about wind affecting the game, and the official boxscore for gametime conditions which read...

Kickoff time: 12:05 pm End of Game: 3:15 pm Total elapsed time: 3:10

Officials: Referee: Butch Stovall; Umpire: Casey Moreland; Linesman: Steve Swift;

Line judge: Jeff Irwin; Back judge: Greg Brey; Field judge: Phil Faust;

Side judge: Greg Koerner;

Temperature: 31 Wind: 0 Weather: Overcast

appfan2008
December 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
blah blah blah injuries... blah blah blah our mistakes... sure we had them but the better team won... we were dominated up front on both o and d all day long...

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I agree.. they played well and deserved to beat us..

I am just arguing with Tribe saying we were never in the game.. Too bad we were for most of the game

No need to put words in my mouth. Of course ASU was in the game. I offered my opinion of why they were in the game. You disagree....leave it at that.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Of course I wasn't there, and couldn't feel any wind. Just going from the appearance, lack of commentary about wind affecting the game, and the official boxscore for gametime conditions which read...

Kickoff time: 12:05 pm End of Game: 3:15 pm Total elapsed time: 3:10

Officials: Referee: Butch Stovall; Umpire: Casey Moreland; Linesman: Steve Swift;

Line judge: Jeff Irwin; Back judge: Greg Brey; Field judge: Phil Faust;

Side judge: Greg Koerner;

Temperature: 31 Wind: 0 Weather: Overcast

what you dont know by that report is that was the start of the game... a cold front came through in the second quarter and the winds picked up to 10-15 mph not terribly fast but enough to effect the game and snow fell for the final three quarters relatively heavy at times

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
what you dont know by that report is that was the start of the game... a cold front came through in the second quarter and the winds picked up to 10-15 mph not terribly fast but enough to effect the game and snow fell for the final three quarters relatively heavy at times

Thanks. Could see the snow of course, but wind is hard to see unless its effects are obvious, or commented on.

All I was saying was that Howard's kicks were subpar for him. London obviously agreed, as the punter kicked the last FG.

BeauFoster
December 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
ASU was one dimensional - it's pretty easy to beat a team like that. Look at the Colts - they can't win without a running game.

AE is hurt. More hurt than most of the public knows. We were playing our 4th string running back. He's decent, but there's a reason why he is where he is on the depth chart. ASU spent most of the second half without a running back in the backfield. Seeing how AE was hobbled (everyone in attendance could see it), the Richmond defense didn't have to respect any type of run game.

This takes nothing away from Richmond. They played the team that met them on the field and won. But there was no secret potion to the win.

Black and Gold Express
December 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM
My opinion, and not sour grapes really. Armanti was absolutely more hurt from the Elon cheap shots than anyone let on. Look at the games after that. Pressley goes against Western, and in both playoff games the common theme was that AE had zero explosiveness running.

It's not that one player makes all the difference, but our spread option requires a running quarterback to be successful. Without that the offense is in fact seriously neutered. The base play of the offense is the zone read, and if you don't have two legit running threats then it's not going to work.

As an example for anyone that remembers, recall the play in the thrd quarter when Pressley took the snap, faked the handoff to a motioned AE, and took off. He was quick, darting, and explosive and made a good gain. All the things that everyone is used to seeing from AE but has not seen since the Elon game. Not a coincidence.

Now, would a healthy Edwards have made the difference? I think so, based on that after 5 turnovers we still had a legitimate shot to win this game. But he was not, and UR played it perfectly. With only a few exceptions, they tackled in the open field EXTREMELY well. They knew - we ALL knew deep down - that Armanti was not a running threat in that game. So they focused on keeping receivers and backs in front of them, not giving up the big play, and forcing ASU to have long sustained drives to score. That's not how ASU does it 90% of the time. They are quick strike, big play offense. UR contained that, and they WERE helped by the fact that the base cog of the offense was not available.

This is not unlike how the UNI game went, if you'll recall. No Williams, Elder is not the runner Richie was, and the offense was a shell of itself. Again this is not making excuses it's just pointing out how the offense is run.

I take nothing away from Richmond in this game. They did what they had t do to win it. And I have not seen a faster overall defense of any of the teams left, and I have seen all 4 in action. On that side of the ball they are the easy favorites. UNI better be ready for a struggle on offense, Richmond will provide you with one.

But, with a healthy and fast quarterback (I am on the record for saying that Pressley should have taken over full time when the game was still close in the 3rd) then I do think ASU would have won it. When you've given up 5 turnovers but are driving to make it a 3 point game with almost a full quarter of play left, that says all I need to know. THE back breaking play of that game was the interception in the end zone on a pass that I still don't understand throwing. You've just gashed UR for 15+ yards on 2 plays in a row, no need to go for the bomb right there. Wuick falls, and at that point the game was over without a miracle. Credit to UR's running game for eating the clock from there and giving us no chance.

Injuris are part of the game, no question. But it's not making excuses by saying that UR faced a much easier challenge than other teams had against us with a healthy running threat at QB. They still had to execute and they did. That's all that matters right now.

YoUDeeMan
December 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
My opinion, and not sour grapes really. Armanti was absolutely more hurt from the Elon cheap shots than anyone let on. Look at the games after that. Pressley goes against Western, and in both playoff games the common theme was that AE had zero explosiveness running.

It's not that one player makes all the difference, but our spread option requires a running quarterback to be successful. Without that the offense is in fact seriously neutered. The base play of the offense is the zone read, and if you don't have two legit running threats then it's not going to work.

As an example for anyone that remembers, recall the play in the thrd quarter when Pressley took the snap, faked the handoff to a motioned AE, and took off. He was quick, darting, and explosive and made a good gain. All the things that everyone is used to seeing from AE but has not seen since the Elon game. Not a coincidence.

Now, would a healthy Edwards have made the difference? I think so, based on that after 5 turnovers we still had a legitimate shot to win this game. But he was not, and UR played it perfectly. With only a few exceptions, they tackled in the open field EXTREMELY well. They knew - we ALL knew deep down - that Armanti was not a running threat in that game. So they focused on keeping receivers and backs in front of them, not giving up the big play, and forcing ASU to have long sustained drives to score. That's not how ASU does it 90% of the time. They are quick strike, big play offense. UR contained that, and they WERE helped by the fact that the base cog of the offense was not available.

This is not unlike how the UNI game went, if you'll recall. No Williams, Elder is not the runner Richie was, and the offense was a shell of itself. Again this is not making excuses it's just pointing out how the offense is run.

I take nothing away from Richmond in this game. They did what they had t do to win it. And I have not seen a faster overall defense of any of the teams left, and I have seen all 4 in action. On that side of the ball they are the easy favorites. UNI better be ready for a struggle on offense, Richmond will provide you with one.

But, with a healthy and fast quarterback (I am on the record for saying that Pressley should have taken over full time when the game was still close in the 3rd) then I do think ASU would have won it. When you've given up 5 turnovers but are driving to make it a 3 point game with almost a full quarter of play left, that says all I need to know. THE back breaking play of that game was the interception in the end zone on a pass that I still don't understand throwing. You've just gashed UR for 15+ yards on 2 plays in a row, no need to go for the bomb right there. Wuick falls, and at that point the game was over without a miracle. Credit to UR's running game for eating the clock from there and giving us no chance.

Injuris are part of the game, no question. But it's not making excuses by saying that UR faced a much easier challenge than other teams had against us with a healthy running threat at QB. They still had to execute and they did. That's all that matters right now.

xconfusedx

So, what we can take from your post is that the ASU program is in poor condition because that they don't have enough depth at several positions (bad recruiting) and their coaching staff is so bad that they can't adapt their game plan to match their player's talents. xeyebrowx

Yup, ASU is in crapsville for the next few years without playing a game. xlolx

xsmiley_wix <------------(Notice the wink).

ASU, at home, was beaten by a better team - a much better team. ASU was smacked all day by Richmond on both sides of the line...that meant a lot of people were overmatched.

And if you are going to play the "well, Richmond didn't play the real Appy team", then take a look back at your 3 NCs - many teams you beat along the way were not close to their best.

Playing 15 or 16 games has a way of changing teams. Sometimes winning a championship means staying healthy and getting a bit lucky. xpeacex

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2008, 11:15 AM
xconfusedx

So, what we can take from your post is that the ASU program is in poor condition because that they don't have enough depth at several positions (bad recruiting) and their coaching staff is so bad that they can't adapt their game plan to match their player's talents. xeyebrowx

ASU, at home, was beaten by a better team - a much better team. ASU was smacked all day by Richmond on both sides of the line...that meant a lot of people were overmatched.

And if you are going to play the "well, Richmond didn't play the real Appy team", then take a look back at your 3 NCs - many teams you beat along the way were not close to their best.

Playing 15 or 16 games has a way of changing teams. Sometimes winning a championship means staying healthy and getting a bit lucky. xpeacex

Whatever ya say cluck. Enjoy your feel good by proxy moment.xthumbsupx BTW how'd your Hennys do this year?:o Oh and 49 > 21:p :D xsmiley_wix <-------

Appoholic
December 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I havent missed a game all season but I was going out of town on Saturday and watched most of it online. My buddies and I were talking and we all agreed that Richmond had a good D but they really werent doing that much on offense. We were moving the ball quickly on them and pretty much handed them the ball game. Its like everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong for us. We were still in it for a while even with turn overs. Take away 1/2 those turn overs and it would have been a different ball game. Also a lot of people dont realize it but we havent been healthy all season and still managed to play well. I mean we were running TE's and WR's as running backs.

Taking nothing away from them because Richmond is a tough team.

MasonJar
December 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM

You, my friend are absolutely incorrect! xsmhx

IMO, Richmond is the best FCS team ASU has played in 4 years. If nothing else, the Spiders were the best team on that day.

It doesn't matter who did what and who sat on his butt, they whipped us.

They didn't turn the ball over and forced App into 7! The Spiders played with confidence and class (from what I could tell as a fan on the 7th row at midfield behind their bench). 55 ran his mouth a little and showed his a$$ a little as things wound down, but based on what was given back to him by the crowd, the behavior wasn't all that bad. He stopped after the game to speak a minute and was very respectful, happy and classy, at least to me and my boy anyway. He acknowledged the significance the Richmond win held for his team and ASU. Spider Fans were also great. xbowx

My hat is off to Richmond, I wish them the best! Until we meet again, that is xsmiley_wix

"If ifs and butts were candy and nuts... we would all have a grand ole Christmas!"

Give 'em He!! Apps!

AppIAA
December 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks. Could see the snow of course, but wind is hard to see unless its effects are obvious, or commented on.

All I was saying was that Howard's kicks were subpar for him. London obviously agreed, as the punter kicked the last FG.

I did comment on the wind and you decided to say I was wrong.. hence my reasoning for all my posts..

Unless you know you're right, don't try to prove someone who was there he was wrong!

MacThor
December 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM

And yet none of this was brought up when Armanti torched SCSU the week before for over 400 passing yards against a defense "every bit as good as the Spiders'."xcoffeex

B&G
December 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Exactly. But don't hold the fact that Armanti isn't as tough as, say Jayson Foster, against Armanti.....them Fightin' Christians is tough...they gave Liberty everything they could handle for a half.

Foster's not so tough. It only took one guy to limit him... Brian Van Gorder. xrotatehx

YoUDeeMan
December 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Whatever ya say cluck. Enjoy your feel good by proxy moment.xthumbsupx BTW how'd your Hennys do this year?:o Oh and 49 > 21:p :D xsmiley_wix <-------

How'd the Hennys do this year? The "Henny" program is in poor condition because that they don't have enough depth at several positions (bad recruiting) and their coaching staff is so bad that they can't adapt their game plan to match their player's talents. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Where the heck did you think I got that sentance from? :p

And yes, I will enjoy the moment...by proxy. As you have. Unless you actually played on those NC teams. xcoffeex

Pull up a chair with a soft cushion and watch the rest of the games with the Hens fans. 33-13 isn't much different a smacking than 49-21 - except App's came a few games earlier in the process this year.

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
33-13 isn't much different a smacking than 49-21 - except App's came a few games earlier in the process this year.

and that spanking came at the "Rock"...

MountainMan
December 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
xconfusedx

So if Joe Flacco had been playing at maybe 75% last year in the playoffs and Omar Cuff was out would the UD offense have been productive enough to make it to the championship game last year?

Every App fan I've talked to or posts that I have read said Richmond dominated the O and D Lines. We know they have a very good defense and it showed. All we are saying is that our running game was extremely limited and that gave Richmond less to worry about and allowed them to focus on defending the pass. Their DLine was able to pass rush without any worries of a run and they were able to drop 7 guys into coverage.

Their O-Line was able to push our Dline straight back and allowed their RB's to pick up a lot of yards before being touched. Eventually they wore us out with constant pounding and little rest due to our offense turning it over constantly.

In last years game their DE's would have made a difference, but you must also remember we lost 3 starting O-line from that team. Our Oline has struggled all year and they were clearly over matched this week. Armanti was able to cover up most (NOT ALL) of that when he was 100% but there was no way he could do it the last two weeks.

We were lucky that SCSU had a weak secondary so we were able to overcome the lack of running game, but UR was too good to overcome that against.

ASUG8
December 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Yep, we had no choice but to lose at home or Kidd Brewer West this year. I'll still take our home and playoff record over the last few years. Two losses at home in two seasons is still pretty solid IMHO, and it doesn't make the Rock any less dangerous to play in.

HensRock
December 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
"How did they (Richmond) do it?"

This question was asked as if there was some sort of slight-of-hand or miracle that occured. Richmond is a DAMN GOOD football team!

They won their game the same way JMU, UNI, and Montana did on Saturday. They were better than their opponents.

CrackerRiley
December 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Yep, we had no choice but to lose at home or Kidd Brewer West this year. I'll still take our home and playoff record over the last few years. Two losses at home in two seasons is still pretty solid IMHO, and it doesn't make the Rock any less dangerous to play in.
Agreed. It also wasn't the same this Saturday... the lack of a sell-out and all. Why wasn't it sold out? wish I knew...

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Well let's see.... From someone who was at the game I will say this. Richmond's defense limited our offense by first taking away the run. With the amount of rushing attempts I don't believe the Apps thought they could run on them. I think the game plan beared that out. Second the d-line pass rush and the LB #39 limited the types of passes because for most of the game the App offense looked for mostly short routes. The few times we went deep, we had some success. Biggest reason, TURNOVERS!!! Whether they were forced or unforced errors is moot. We didn't take care of the football and that ultimately doomed us. Would we have still lost??? Who knows but the score would have been closer IMO! AE still passed for over 300 yards, so the offense was able to move the ball, but they weren't ever really on their game. Richmond won because they wanted it more and they executed. Good luck to the Spiders.

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM

1 loss at the Rock to a championship caliber squad vs. How many losses was that at the Tub this year?xeekx :D

BTW How's those Hennys of yours fixed for next year? xsmiley_wix

:p

yosef1969
December 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
This thread is amusing. The question was asked how UR did it, when the real answer was provided it jumped on as sour grapes or making excuses. UR was a better team Saturday, end of story.
If you are looking for an answer on how to stop ASU in the future you won't find the answer from the game Saturday. Hope everyone thinks trying to pressure AE is the magic formula for beating ASU next season. Best of luck to the remaining teams.

Wmbgskip
December 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Just for comparison's sakes, I would like to point out that W&M also had seven turnovers against Richmond....and it took a blocked kick in overtime for the Spiders to be in position to win the game.

Cheers,

Appguy
December 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Just for comparison's sakes, I would like to point out that W&M also had seven turnovers against Richmond....and it took a blocked kick in overtime for the Spiders to be in position to win the game.

Cheers,

Just for comparison's sake, we lost to JMU by only 3 while you got totally annihilated by 24...also just for comparisons sake we had 2 losses till Saturday, you had 4,but its just for comparisions sake....are you trying to get at something by "pointing this out"?xconfusedx

you can't compare games like that, its all about match ups and who's healthy

MacThor
December 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
The W&M fans just like to thread-crap all the UR-ASU threads and point out they took UR to overtime. :)

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
The W&M fans just like to thread-crap all the UR-ASU threads and point out they took UR to overtime. :)

Is that a bi-product of not getting an invite to the "BIG DANCE"????

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM

TribeSF has probably been to more UR games supporting our team than several UR posters on this board. He's a good man. Leave him alone. xrulesx

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM
BTW How's those of yours Hennys fixed for next year? xsmiley_wix :p

A whole lot better if you have a QB you could lend us... :p

Dixiedawg80
December 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Just for comparison's sake, we lost to JMU by only 3 while you got totally annihilated by 24...also just for comparisons sake we had 2 losses till Saturday, you had 4,but its just for comparisions sake....are you trying to get at something by "pointing this out"?xconfusedx

you can't compare games like that, its all about match ups and who's healthy

Nice!!!!xthumbsupx

DX Man
December 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
They did it by playing a great game that day.

Saint3333
December 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
And yet none of this was brought up when Armanti torched SCSU the week before for over 400 passing yards against a defense "every bit as good as the Spiders'."xcoffeex

SCSU's defensive line was as good as Richmond's. Both were GREAT. The difference was the secondary play and zone coverage Richmond utilized.