PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga Sports (and UTM) aren't going anywhere

chattanoogamocs
December 4th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sorry to start a new thread, but the original one had lapsed into "is the SoCon expanding" thread.

First, let me quickly say it is crazy to think that any school would just all of a sudden cut their entire program (first off, 66% of the UTC budget is from fees, revenues and alum donations, so even if the State cut off every penny tomorrow, it would still have 6 million dollars).

The story is, the State is looking to cut budgets all across the system (that involves EVERY public school in Tennessee). SIX HUNDRED suggestions were made on how to save money...someone brought up athletics and it was IMMEDIATELY shot down by the other Trustees.

But, some guy from the Knoxville News Sentinel decided to run with it (tabloid journalism at its best)...the lazy TV media in Chattanooga regurgitated what the newspaper said (without wasting the time to check any facts) and now you have the University having to run around like crazy explaining what really happened...which was NOTHING.

So, on the front page of the Friday edition of the Times Free Press, all this idiotic talk was put to rest, here are the highlights...

UTC athletic director Rick Hart halted his search for a football coach Thursday morning to squash rumors that the school's sports programs would be eliminated.

"He came in to relay to us that it was a suggestion, not an edict, not something voted on or even a recommendation."

In the last month the UT system has received about 600 suggestions for possible cuts across campuses

"The institution has agreed to all plans and expenditures in the coaching search, and the success of our football program is vital to our efforts to achieve our goals," Mr. Hart said. "I view this as an investment, as well, because football, with the revenues that can be generated, has the greatest potential for a return on our investment."

While there may have been some initial concern at the possibility of UTC lopping off its sports programs, coaches and athletic department employees weren't overly concerned, UTC basketball coach John Shulman said.

"I'm usually a panic-type of guy, and I didn't panic," Mr. Shulman said. "I just didn't put a whole lot of stock in it."

Sorry to come in so irritated...it is crap like this that hurts my alma mater...most of the coaches spent the day reassuring current players and recruits that is was much ado about nothing.

The sad thing is, this is the kind of think that will be used against the school in recruiting for years (just like all the little whispers from others that the school was going to drop football).

I guess the only good news to come out of it was that the athletic director stated about as forcefully as you could ask that the football program isn't going anywhere and the administration is fully behind the program.

Here is a link to the full article:
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/dec/05/university-tennessee-chattanooga-says-it-wont-benc/

BR AppMan
December 5th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I truly hope you guys get things turned around with your program. Recruits I know are tough to come by in the state. The SoCon seems to be the bottom feeders of the SEC ACC leftovers. But if APP can do it, there's no reason you all can't as well. Leadership starts at the top and your alumni should realize this.

catamount man
December 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
All the best to UTC. You better keep football as I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't enjoy T-Bonz bar every other year in October in Chattanooga. HA!!!

(waits on ASU folks to brag about how good T-Bonz is in December)....
xcoffeex xcoffeex ;) xwhistlex xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
xcoffeex yea thats pretty shady stuff there. I could possibly understand some rumor of cutting the football program, but certainly not the entire athletics department. I personally believe that if they get a good coach in there, not some dude like they got now, UTC football can be very competitive...yall have the facilities. Its gotta be hard to recruit the area with UT that close, but app takes a lot of its players from GA, SC, NC, etc. UTC can do the same thing with the right people in charge. If UTC gets a coach who knows the spread option in there, the recruits will come. players seem to love to play in the spread option.xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thought I'd gloat a little and reprint my initial thoughts on this from the other thread. I think they are rather prescient.

It seems really hard to believe that UT Chattanooga and UT Martin would disband all their sports in a college football- and college-basketball-crazy state of Tennessee - especially when UT-Knoxville seems more than willing to put them on their schedules for guarantee games every year (or other year). Not to mention for UT-Chattanooga they have home games with App, Furman, GSU every other year that brings in serious money.

This smacks more and more of political brinksmanship the more I look at it. I mean, are they really going to pull the plug on men's basketball? No way no how. And if they have basketball, they have to have women's sports. And if they have that... they will fall short of the supposed $9 million dollars in savings. This argument seems to fall apart upon cursory review.

xthumbsupx

jaxstatealum
December 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
There was another story on local news this morning from Chatty. They mentioned again the "discussion" of the issue. What worries me is this: the mention of it moved from yesterdays sports story (burried deeper in the early show) to one of this mornings lead stories.

I don't see how either school, alumni, etc. could let that happen.

What are the possibilites for this opening up the BAD IDEA for other programs around the nation?xnonono2x

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
ChattanoogaMocs, glad to see you're still around. I haven't seen you posting lately, how goes it?

chattanoogamocs
December 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
With the state of Mocs football as it is...not much to comment on (which is partially why I haven't been on as much). :)

But also, between running Mocfans and SoConfans, I had to curtail some of my messageboard time (I also went from owning "just" an art gallery to owning an art gallery, a photography studio and a t-shirt business...along with producing a series of 22 local arts shows a year) So, times are pretty good, but even with two employees, there is just not enough me to go around. :)

I am excited that it is getting close the another national championship game and hopefully better times for Mocs football.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here is a copy of an email from the UT system president to Chattanooga's Chancellor Roger Brown (thought it was worth sharing)...

Roger,
The story was distorted. One of the committee members brought up the
cost of Athletics in a distressful time for Academics. Most everyone
else commented on the value it brings to the University environment
including the engagement of people who contribute to all aspects of the
University. That was all occurred. The reporter chose to make a benign story into a sensational story. End of Story. Please forward
this to anyone you think appropriate. Cost containment is a must,
cancellation is not on the table.

John

John D. Petersen, President
University of Tennessee
800 Andy Holt Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996

catamount man
December 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM
With the state of Mocs football as it is...not much to comment on (which is partially why I haven't been on as much). :)

But also, between running Mocfans and SoConfans, I had to curtail some of my messageboard time (I also went from owning "just" an art gallery to owning an art gallery, a photography studio and a t-shirt business...along with producing a series of 22 local arts shows a year) So, times are pretty good, but even with two employees, there is just not enough me to go around. :)

I am excited that it is getting close the another national championship game and hopefully better times for Mocs football.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here is a copy of an email from the UT system president to Chattanooga's Chancellor Roger Brown (thought it was worth sharing)...

Roger,
University. That was all occurred. The reporter chose to make a benign story into a sensational story. End of Story. Please forward

John

University of Tennessee
800 Andy Holt Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996

Great response from UT's president. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Cincy App
December 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
But, some guy from the Knoxville News Sentinel decided to run with it (tabloid journalism at its best)...the lazy TV media in Chattanooga regurgitated what the newspaper said (without wasting the time to check any facts) and now you have the University having to run around like crazy explaining what really happened...which was NOTHING.

The Knoxville News Sentinel is the worst sports newspaper in the nation. If it doesn't deal with UT athletics, they could care less to report on it or check on the facts. Another bush league story is hardly a surprise. Sadly, it's what I have to put up with every day.

Good luck to UTC as it rebuilds its program.

Cincy App
December 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry to start a new thread, but the original one had lapsed into "is the SoCon expanding" thread.

[/url]

The Knoxville News Sentinel is the worst sports newspaper in the nation. If it doesn't deal with UT athletics, they could care less to report on it or check on the facts. Another bush league story is hardly a surprise. Sadly, it's what I have to put up with every day.

Good luck to UTC as it rebuilds its program.

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM

Roger,

John

University of Tennessee
800 Andy Holt Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996

Wow, you do sound busy. Best of luck with the businesses man...you must be recession proof. ;)

utcfan
December 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
It served its purpose. Sold papers, and got a lot of hits on their internet site. Good, solid, tabloid journalism.