View Full Version : Top 10 for 2009

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
?

From the Socon Im Picking

Appstate #1

Wofford #2

Ga Southern #7

From a Wofford standpoint...we will be A lot better on defense. The offense will struggle to replace 3 offensive lineman, but Eric Nash will get that done. Breightenstein will be better than Romero on offense, and Mike Rucker will break every single season school record of touchdowns and yards. Believe it or not, Wofford was playing their 3rd best qb this season due to seniority. Mitch Allen and Robbie Davis(Transfer from Navy) will be dynamic. I am predicting a much closer 1/2 finish between appstate and us in the conference. App has the X factor with AE.

I think GSU will have a break out year. If not their head coach will be gone.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Elon will be good too, and Samford, Western, and the Citadel will be older too. Sorry can't make out the Socon this early.

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
?

Appstate #1

Wofford #2

Ga Southern #7

From a Wofford standpoint...we will be A lot better on defense. The offense will struggle to replace 3 offensive lineman, but Eric Nash will get that done. Breightenstein will be better than Romero on offense, and Mike Rucker will break every single season school record of touchdowns and yards. Believe it or not, Wofford was playing their 3rd best qb this season due to seniority. Mitch Allen and Robbie Davis(Transfer from Navy) will be dynamic. I am predicting a much closer 1/2 finish between appstate and us in the conference. App has the X factor with AE.

I think GSU will have a break out year. If not their head coach will be gone.I'm not exactly sure what it is we're supposed to be picking...xconfusedx

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
If you're talking about top 10 candidates for next season, from the CAA, I think you have to look at Villanova and UNH, and also potentially W&M (with Archer taking over) and Maine (they return almost everyone, though lose Belcher and Fluellen).

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure what it is we're supposed to be picking...xconfusedx
Top 10 Teams in the Nation...and Yes Montana is somewhere in there...just not sure what you guys have coming back.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ending the year on a 3 game winning steak (with one of 'em over soon to be National Champ Weber), not to mention a year of familiarity between the team and new coaches, I say Eastern comes into the 2009 season ranked between 20th and 10th. Could be anywhere in that range, but who knows. I hope our WRs come to play next year and don't drop so many passes and let the backs pick those drops off... Nichols doesn't deserve those picks on his record.

Edit: We have all of our O-line coming back except for our center (Paul Wulff's nephew, Charlie), plus all of our top WRs (Boyce, Brown, Davis), and of course QB Matt Nichols. Not to mention our top two in tackles on defense, RS freshmen Matt and Zach Johnson, and true freshman Taiwan Jones... we should be a team to contend with. Baldwin better not Uck Fup this.

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Top 10 Teams in the Nation...and Yes Montana is somewhere in there...just not sure what you guys have coming back.I don't even know if we're going to be the best team in our conference next year, let alone in the whole country.

I'll wait to pick my top 10 until after the season is over. xpeacex

Ronbo
December 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Top 10 Teams in the Nation...and Yes Montana is somewhere in there...just not sure what you guys have coming back.

We are way young. Have to replace Bergquist and 3 good O-Linemen. Backup QB could be better than Bergquist but that needs to be seen.

Looks like 16 starters back which includes the two kickers. So 14 O and D starters plus kickers. We'll also get back our kick returners also.

downbythebeach
December 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I don't even know if we're going to be the best team in our conference next year, let alone in the whole country.

lol agreedxthumbsupx

JmuSkinsfan
December 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Losing Rodney will be huge. But, that being said, there are some that think our 3rd string QB, rFr Justin Thorpe is better than Landers. And he will be our #2 ... behind Drew Dudzik who plays a lot like Justin Rascatti.

We will also be returning all of our weapons on offense minus Landers and Holloman. I don't think we'll lose a step. We probably won't be top 5 though because of the QB change, but I would expect to see us around 7-10...especially if we can win it all.

ASU should be #1 with AE coming back.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Losing Rodney will be huge. But, that being said, there are some that think our 3rd string QB, rFr Justin Thorpe is better than Landers. And he will be our #2 ... behind Drew Dudzik who plays a lot like Justin Rascatti.

We will also be returning all of our weapons on offense minus Landers and Holloman. I don't think we'll lose a step. We probably won't be top 5 though because of the QB change, but I would expect to see us around 7-10...especially if we can win it all.

ASU should be #1 with AE coming back.

Plus 15 other startersxoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

jus10asu
December 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
?

Appstate #1

Wofford #2

Ga Southern #7

I think GSU will have a break out year. If not their head coach will be gone.

Not sure why you have a JMU helmet avatar...I mean I know they beat you but how you gonna pull for the enemy?xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Richmond loses their 2 DE's, 2 TE's, RB and FB. Everyone else will be back.

GATA
December 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I already know what GSU's record is gonna be next year MARK IT DOWN...

6-6...another year of mediocrity.

BeauFoster
December 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
GATA - How do you feel about Hatcher? Is the problem with him or the coordinators or the talent? It seems like GSU has had the problem of playing to the level of the competition over the past 2 seasons. That looks to me like a problem from the top, but I don't keep up with GSU like I do ASU.

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Top 10 for next year? App & 9 CAA teams should do it.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Best Chances IMO for top 10 teams to start 2009

CAA - JMU, UNH, Richmond, Nova
SoCon - Appy, GSU, Wofford, Elon
Big Sky - Montana, WSU
Great West - Cal Poly
MVFC - UNI, SIU

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I think the CAA will be down next year. Richmond (Vaughn, Ward, I thought), JMU (Landers, Hollimon) and UMass (Smalls, Coen, lots of defenders) will be gone. The teams that return a lot (UNH, Maine, W&M, Villanova) should, IMO, be the favorites. I think Appalachian State and Villanova will be the two favorites heading into next season, with UNH, Wofford, Weber State, Elon, SC State, W&M, Maine and UNI seeming to return a lot at the skill positions. The top two seem clear to me, though.

kirkblitz
December 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
liberty and coastal from BS

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think the CAA will be down next year. Richmond (Vaughn, Ward, I thought), JMU (Landers, Hollimon) and UMass (Smalls, Coen, lots of defenders) will be gone. The teams that return a lot (UNH, Maine, W&M, Villanova) should, IMO, be the favorites. I think Appalachian State and Villanova will be the two favorites heading into next season, with UNH, Wofford, Weber State, Elon, SC State, W&M, Maine and UNI seeming to return a lot at the skill positions. The top two seem clear to me, though.

I think Wofford should be ranked in the 10-20 range, we lose a lot of starters (again) but the talent is there to be just as good or better in 2009 and if not 2010 (I can project approximately 16 starters returning that year).

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Not sure why you have a JMU helmet avatar...I mean I know they beat you but how you gonna pull for the enemy?xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think JMU is the better team. Their guys dont showboat and yap their jaws. I was very unimpressed with the way ASU acted in many of their wins this year. One word comes to mind...Thugs.

Ronbo
December 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM

If you don't think Montana will not be a top 10 team with the 16 starters back and the 2008 recruiting class (Hauck says best ever, 12 are playing already this year) coming in you are delusional.xoopsx xnonono2x

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think JMU is the better team. Their guys dont showboat and yap their jaws. I was very unimpressed with the way ASU acted in many of their wins this year. One word comes to mind...Thugs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zEvvYAt6Sxs/RvlcbkV78kI/AAAAAAAAAOc/PnvqLbsYNlM/s1600/dukedog.jpg

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Ward is back. Next year is the year Clawson's recruiting class that was ranked number 1 are seniors.

Richmond will be ranked Top 5 Pre-season.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Ward is back. Next year is the year Clawson's recruiting class that was ranked number 1 are seniors.

Richmond will be ranked Top 5 Pre-season.

I didn't know they ranked recruiting classes in FCS.

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I think Wofford should be ranked in the 10-20 range, we lose a lot of starters (again) but the talent is there to be just as good or better in 2009 and if not 2010 (I can project approximately 16 starters returning that year).

We lost a lot more in 07 than in 08. Breightenstein is better than Romero, Allen/Davis is better than Widmeyer, Page will fill in niceley on the oline with Johnson, and Illig. Joslin will fill in for Strickland along with Bersin. Rucker will be the most dynmic HB we have ever had along with marshall and lees. Defense will be as athletic and fast as Wofford has ever had (Sharpe, Niam, Braxton, Irvin, Johnson, Roseboro, Bratcher, and our freshman Dline from this year). Chris Tommie will be back as our kickoff and punter. I dont see us losing a step.

Go terriers!!

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM

You have a lot to learn YoungTerrierGriz-person.

kirkblitz
December 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM

that would be sweet

GATA
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
GATA - How do you feel about Hatcher? Is the problem with him or the coordinators or the talent? It seems like GSU has had the problem of playing to the level of the competition over the past 2 seasons. That looks to me like a problem from the top, but I don't keep up with GSU like I do ASU.

I'm a huge Hatcher fan. I think the guy knows what he's doing and he'll have GSU back in the playoffs by 2010 at the LATEST. I honestly believe that GSU just isn't as talented as many of our fans probably think that we are...that fact gets exposed when you dump the security blanket of the triple option offense.

Our defensive coordinator should take some heat for how atrocious of defense was during the first 8-9 this year, but they actually looked very good toward the end of the season like they were finally getting comfortable with the 3-3-5. I really think our biggest problem is that our program just hasn't been consistent...we have had a ton of scheme changes and philosophy changes but I think that has finally come to an end. For the first time in about 4 years GSU will finally have an offense and defense that is pretty much the same in back-to-back years.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Rivals ranks the recruiting classes. I think EWU was #1 last year. Richmond was in the 5-10 range.

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm a huge Hatcher fan. I think the guy knows what he's doing and he'll have GSU back in the playoffs by 2010 at the LATEST. I honestly believe that GSU just isn't as talented as many of our fans probably think that we are...that fact gets exposed when you dump the security blanket of the triple option offense.

Our defensive coordinator should take some heat for how atrocious of defense was during the first 8-9 this year, but they actually looked very good toward the end of the season like they were finally getting comfortable with the 3-3-5. I really think our biggest problem is that our program just hasn't been consistent...we have had a ton of scheme changes and philosophy changes but I think that has finally come to an end. For the first time in about 4 years GSU will finally have an offense and defense that is pretty much the same in back-to-back years.

Hatcher wont make it till 2010. You can bet on that. He better get you guys there in 09.

JmuSkinsfan
December 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
JMU has to be a favorite as well. I understand there is a question mark at QB...but for those that have seen Dudzik play, there is little doubt he will take over and play very well. By no means will he be Landers, but he shouldn't have to be. Yancy, Sullivan, Kerby Long, Rock McCarter, Julius Graves, etc. etc. all back on offense. Long (fr), Sullivan (so), Yancy (so), Graves (fr) are all very good now and will only continue to be better. Plus the last few years have been the best recruiting classes each year according to MM...JMU won't miss a beat.

North:

'Nova (#2)
JMU (#6)
UR (#3)
W&M (#20)
UD
Towson

South:

UNH (#8)
Maine (#15)
Umass (#21)
Northeastern
URI
Hofstra

The way I could see the pre-season polls being. If JMU wins it all this year, then JMU would likely be #1 or #2 to start the season despite the QB change.

GATA
December 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hatcher wont make it till 2010. You can bet on that. He better get you guys there in 09.

I highly doubt that. Our A.D. has already made the mistake of firing a guy with a winning record who ONLY made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. Firing Hatcher would just set the program back ANOTHER 5 years. There isn't any coach available that could come in and do any better of a job. Outside of Jerry Moore, Hatcher is the only coach in the conference who has actually coached a national championship team...

utcfan
December 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Some mocfans wonder if Sewak will be interested in the UTC job. I think at this point we love to ONLY make the playoffs 3 of 4 years. Nobody knows if he is even interested--GT is doing well--but some thnk he would be a good solid choice.

Chi Panther
December 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
UNI will return 9 of 11 offensive starters....both Punter and Kicker.

However will need to shore up the defense. But with Ruffin returning and the depth on defense I think the defense will remain strong.xthumbsupx

Saint3333
December 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Rivals rankings for FCS are a joke. They only count the 3 and 2 star players.

They don't really give players stars unless they are recruiting by FBS programs.

Recruiting rankings don't mean much in the FBS either for that matter, wasn't Norte Dame ranked in the top 10 for recruiting the last couple of years?

GATA
December 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Some mocfans wonder if Sewak will be interested in the UTC job. I think at this point we love to ONLY make the playoffs 3 of 4 years. Nobody knows if he is even interested--GT is doing well--but some thnk he would be a good solid choice.

He would be an awesome choice. As far as the X's and O's of the flexbone go he's 2nd only to Paul Johnson. You may have some issues with recruiting players who aren't so strong academically....but isn't that what college football is all about? xthumbsupx

It's tough to say whether he would be interested. He probably likes being reunited with PJ at Georgia Tech, but I wouldn't doubt that he still itches to a head coach.

...It would really hurt to watch GSU get shredded to pieces by a ridiculous UTC triple option attack coached by Mike Sewak...i would vomit.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM

They don't really give players stars unless they are recruiting by FBS programs.

Recruiting rankings don't mean much in the FBS either for that matter, wasn't Norte Dame ranked in the top 10 for recruiting the last couple of years?

You could be right, but our class that was number 1 and will be seniors next year has brought the most success to UR that we have ever had. Based on this, I find some validity in them.

GATA
December 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM

You couldn't be more right. They are an absolute joke. when it comes to the whole "rivals 100" thing the rankings probably have some legitimacy, but outside of that they have no clue what they're talking about. Rivals won't give a kid that signs with an FBS school less the 2 stars...The kid might not have even been on anybody's radar, but the second he signs he gets classified as a 2 star prospect by default...it's retarded. The FCS is littered with "2 star" talent. It's all of the guys who fell through the cracks of FBS recruiters for one reason or another.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hatcher will get at least 5 years. Normally I'd say four but with the mess that Sewak and VanGoober left the program in I say he gets a little more.

GSU finally ran the offense that Hatcher has won a championship with against Furman and while I know it was one game, it gives me hope for the future. Of course, I think every team in the SoCon (except for maybe Wofford who will be a "wild-card" team again) will be better next year so we'd best be ready to kick some arse.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hatcher will get at least 5 years. Normally I'd say four but with the mess that Sewak and VanGoober left the program in I say he gets a little more.

GSU finally ran the offense that Hatcher has won a championship with against Furman and while I know it was one game, it gives me hope for the future. Of course, I think every team in the SoCon (except for maybe Wofford who will be a "wild-card" team again) will be better next year so we'd best be ready to kick some arse.

That's pretty fair, I think we'll be AT LEAST a bubble team (we might even sneek in the playoffs)

ur2k
December 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
You have a lot to learn YoungTerrierGriz-person.

It must have something to do with that East Coast bias again. xoopsx

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
That's pretty fair, I think we'll be AT LEAST a bubble team (we might even sneek in the playoffs)

Young Terrier....Geeze...I know it is Wofford, but you are way to conservative. Are you serious or are you being the "Wofford Way"? Wofford is gonna be good next year.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hatcher has no more excuses next year. GSU placed 8 guys on the All Freshmen team, and would have had 3 or 4 more if not for injury or attitude.

FargoBison
December 4th, 2008, 11:25 PM
1.App St
2.Montana
3.Nova
4.UNI
5.UNH
6.Wofford
7.SIU
8.W&M
9.Weber St
10.JMU

On the edge....Georgia Southern, Elon, SCSU, and Maine

blitz4
December 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM
1.App St
2.Wofford
3.Nova
4.UNI
5.UNH
6.Montana
7.SIU
8.W&M
9.Weber St
10.JMU

I think this looks about right.

JmuSkinsfan
December 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
1.App St
2.Wofford
3.Nova
4.UNI
5.UNH
6.Montana
7.SIU
8.W&M
9.Weber St
10.JMU

I think this looks about right.

Richmond? No? IF Jmu wins this year...do they drop all the way to #10 with a QB change? Just a hypothetical...

And may I ask what makes you think W&M will be better than us next year? W&M is losing Phillips...and I'd be very very confident in saying that Drew Dudzik for JMU will be much better than the QB turned WR turned QB again that will be playing QB at W&M next year..

BR AppMan
December 5th, 2008, 02:59 AM
There is a reason most Mountaineer fans stay off this board. We do our smacking on the field. See I shouldn't even be here.

th0m
December 5th, 2008, 04:42 AM
There is a reason most Mountaineer fans stay off this board. We do our smacking on the field. See I shouldn't even be here.

xlolx xlolx

I needed that!

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Richmond? No? IF Jmu wins this year...do they drop all the way to #10 with a QB change? Just a hypothetical...

And may I ask what makes you think W&M will be better than us next year? W&M is losing Phillips...and I'd be very very confident in saying that Drew Dudzik for JMU will be much better than the QB turned WR turned QB again that will be playing QB at W&M next year..

I'll take that wager (on Dudzik being better next year than Archer).

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/vu/mack44td.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/VMI/archer29.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/ncst/mactd2.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/vu/archertdr4.html

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/vu/varno16.html

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 5th, 2008, 06:18 AM

What are the stakes?

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
What are the stakes?

What do you think? Have to work out the criteria.

My point was that JmuSkinsfan seems to think that Archer won't do so well for the Tribe ("...Dudzik for JMU will be much better..."). There's every indication from his previous play that he will do quite well. Archer has all the tools to be a top FCS QB, and his second half performance against Villanova is clear evidence of that. Mechanically sound, with a very strong arm, quick release, and exceptional athleticism for the position. Not your typical first year QB starter, as he has significant experience in the offense both at QB, and at WR.

appfan2008
December 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
There is no way ASU is not preseason number one by a large margin with the talent we are bringing back... regardless the result of these playoffs... IMO

elonjunky
December 5th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Elon is going to be back in the hunt next year, also they have started building a run game that could be pretty good. The passng game already has most of socon's records. I liked the freshmen Jamal Shuman when coach Limbo did put him in they moved the ball he got socon player of the week with 18 with 166 yards that game I think he ended with 6.5 a carry for the season . Newsom almost 1000 yards and made all socon. Terrell will be back along with soon to be star reciever Sean Jeffcoat. They stayed in the top 25 last season and I think they will again

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
There is no way ASU is not preseason number one by a large margin with the talent we are bringing back... regardless the result of these playoffs... IMO

It's a little premature to say that. Villanova returns alot from a very good team. They've been underrated all year, but if they move on through the playoffs, they won't be underrated anymore.

elonjunky
December 5th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Elon is going to be back in the hunt next year,xnodx also they have started building a run game that could be pretty good. The passng game already has most of socon's records. I liked the freshmen Jamal Shuman when coach Limbo did put him in they moved the ball he got socon player of the week with 18 with 166 yards that game I think he ended with 6.5 a carry for the season xbowx . Newsom almost 1000 yards and made all socon. Terrell will be back along with soon to be star reciever Sean Jeffcoat.xbowx They stayed in the top 25 last season and I think they will again:D :D :D

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
What do you think? Have to work out the criteria.

My point was that JmuSkinsfan seems to think that Archer won't do so well for the Tribe ("...Dudzik for JMU will be much better..."). There's every indication from his previous play that he will do quite well. Archer has all the tools to be a top FCS QB, and his second half performance against Villanova is clear evidence of that. Mechanically sound, with a very strong arm, quick release, and exceptional athleticism for the position. Not your typical first year QB starter, as he has significant experience in the offense both at QB, and at WR.

Not taking anything away from Archer. I've seen him play. I just like JMU's returning receivers and from what I've seen in Duzdik playing. Just a friendly bet nothing more. PM me the criteria that strikes your fancy.

Dukie95
December 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM

You just don't come here enough to know better.

Back on topic...

JMU falls into the 7-10 range pre-season on the loss of Landers. Depending on how Dudzik really works out, we'll move up or down from there. Everyone in the CAA is behind Nova. I don't see W&M ahead of JMU pre-seson as some of you have done.

Also remember, JMU "returns" Scotty McGee. Even if he doesn't touch the ball, his presence does so much to disrupt opponents and helps JMU's field position.

Eaglesrus
December 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I highly doubt that. Our A.D. has already made the mistake of firing a guy with a winning record who ONLY made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. Firing Hatcher would just set the program back ANOTHER 5 years. There isn't any coach available that could come in and do any better of a job. Outside of Jerry Moore, Hatcher is the only coach in the conference who has actually coached a national championship team...

Gotta agree with GATA here. There are a few hotheads amongst our fanbase that might call, or may even already be calling, for Hatcher's head, but I think there are extremely few. Plus, they don't make the decisions and like GATA says I think the administration has learned a lesson as far as coaching changes go. I do differ with GATA's assessment of our talent level, and I think that the number of kids that we had on the All-SoCon freshman team is evidence that we have a very bright near-term future.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
App State will not lose again until 2010 in Gainesville v. the Florida Gators.

appfan2008
December 5th, 2008, 08:22 AM
It's a little premature to say that. Villanova returns alot from a very good team. They've been underrated all year, but if they move on through the playoffs, they won't be underrated anymore.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
we shall see... but im not backing off that claim

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
You just don't come here enough to know better.

Back on topic...

JMU falls into the 7-10 range pre-season on the loss of Landers. Depending on how Dudzik really works out, we'll move up or down from there. Everyone in the CAA is behind Nova. I don't see W&M ahead of JMU pre-seson as some of you have done.

Also remember, JMU "returns" Scotty McGee. Even if he doesn't touch the ball, his presence does so much to disrupt opponents and helps JMU's field position.

I agree that W&M will probably not start the year ranked ahead of JMU. Just as the jury will be out on Dudzik, it will also be out on Archer because most will not be familiar with him, and will assume some drop in productivity from the loss of Phillips. I also agree that everyone will be behind Nova.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
App State will not lose again until 2010 in Gainesville v. the Florida Gators.

Are you sure you'll lose that one? Coulson will have you favored. xlolx

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
1.App St
2.Montana
3.Nova
4.UNI
5.UNH
6.Wofford
7.SIU
8.W&M
9.Weber St
10.JMU

On the edge....Georgia Southern, Elon, SCSU, and Maine

I think Wofford and Montana are too high. I don't like having any team that loses a QB that high. I'd tend to think SCSU with Malcolm Long and Elon with Riddle back would both make good bets in the top 10.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Prople in Montana are less worried about the QB situation than people that don't know the program. Andrew Selle will be a Junior and will be in the system 4 years when he takes the helm. Earlier this year Bergquist got hurt just before half. Selle came in and played the last couple minutes of the first half and finished the game.

He threw 13-20, 203 yards, and 4 TD's in approximately a half.

He'll plug right in at QB for Montana. During the 2008 spring and fall camps Hauck said Bergquist and Selle were even in the QB competition.

nmatsen
December 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
This is always easy from the Gateway / MVC:

UNI / SIU (in that order, SIU is at the Dome next year)

Tailbone
December 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
..... I don't like having any team that loses a QB that high. .....

I'd be tempted to agree except that when Dave Dickenson left the Griz, his replacement, Brian Ah-Yat, (who the previous year seemed inclined to turn his back and run toward his own goal line to escape a rush) filled in quite admirably.
In fact, some thought that the '96 team was actually better than the '95 championship team.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I'd be tempted to agree except that when Dave Dickenson left the Griz, his replacement, Brian Ah-Yat, (who the previous year seemed inclined to turn his back and run toward his own goal line to escape a rush) filled in quite admirably.
In fact, some thought that the '96 team was actually better than the '95 championship team.

Didn't Ah-Yat throw for 3800 or so yards and lead the team to 14-1?xnodx

slostang
December 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I do not think that Cal Poly will be in the top ten in the preseason polls because they lose so many skilled players on offense. I do believe if they find the right QB that they will reload and will be there by the end of the season. Cal Poly had a huge year in recruiting last year and have some outstanding young skilled players to replace players like Noble, Barden and Dally, but it all starts at how the QB plays in the triple option offense.

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I do not think it's impossible to have a team with an unknown at QB be in the top 10, but at 2, over 'Nova, who returns a ton, including two capable QB's?

I mean, I had UNH and UD at 22 and 23 to start the year because of QB issues. It's easy to see the variance over the season. You just never know, and I'm always cautious as a result.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Selle taking over is really not much of an unknown WrenFGun. He was a whisker from taking the #1 spot from Bergquist this fall. Hauck went with the Senior and I'm sure Selle understood. He has been in the system 3 full years and can run the offense in his sleep. There are many fans excited to see him take over.

BobcatJH
December 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
No Soulthland representative?

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM
If Delaware finds a QB next year.. they could be pretty good again in a hurry.. as the defense which was very good this year could be even better next season. If they don't find a QB (will have to be a true FR or another transfer as there isn't a competent QB on the current roster) the Hens will stuggle to get five wins.

JmuSkinsfan
December 5th, 2008, 09:53 AM

I wasn't necessarily saying Archer < Dudzik. But as overall teams, the QB change should not be that impactful. And if it IS that impactful, JMU shouldn't drop that far and W&M shouldn't JUMP that far. JMU will have the overall better team. But what these top 10s are saying is that

Dudzik = -9
Archer = + 10

AppSt.09
December 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM

xnonono2x I very kindly disagree with that statement, quite a few players are in some of my classes and based on their actions I think that statement is farther from the truth and can not think of any time where they have acted like thugs on the field.

MaroonDoom
December 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
UTM from the OVC returns alot of skill players. I see them in the top 15.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM

I don't see one.

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I agree that W&M will probably not start the year ranked ahead of JMU. Just as the jury will be out on Dudzik, it will also be out on Archer because most will not be familiar with him, and will assume some drop in productivity from the loss of Phillips. I also agree that everyone will be behind Nova.

Yea, the only reason we would be ranked ahead of W&M would be based on the rest of the team and not the QBs.

I feel for Archer because he's such a team player. I hope he and Dudzik are both great. I just hope that his time at WR didn't stunt any of his QB growth. Then again, it's not like Dudzik is watching the offense he's going to be running out there (we will pass a lot more).

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM

I don't think anyone in the Southland demonstrated anything about being worthy as a top 10 team. McNeese was up there with the likes of EWU and UD as the most overrated team at the start of the season.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Yea, the only reason we would be ranked ahead of W&M would be based on the rest of the team and not the QBs.

I feel for Archer because he's such a team player. I hope he and Dudzik are both great. I just hope that his time at WR didn't stunt any of his QB growth. Then again, it's not like Dudzik is watching the offense he's going to be running out there (we will pass a lot more).

I think both Archer and Dudzik will do well. There's alot of excitement in Williamsburg about Archer finally getting the job. Many thought that he had won the job last year in the three way competition with Phillips and Potts. He's had two full Springs, and two August camps running with the first two units at QB. He looked very good this year when he played, especially the second half against Villanova. He was 13-19 for 232 in that half, and rushed for two TDs.

Canyoncat
December 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Montana State won't start in the Top 10 at the beginning of the year, but by the end of they year we may be able to crack it. Two things need to happen though, actually three:

1)Consistency at QB. We need to be able to settle on one of the three guys coming back and he needs to make a few more plays down the field.

2)Better play from our WR’s. Right now we only have two reliable WR’s coming back and one of them was moved to QB to end the year.

3)Hopefully we avoid the amount of injuries that we had this year.

I really like RB's we have coming back and the O-Line will be very good. The defense will again be at the top of the conference. If the two things on offense I mentioned above don't happen, then it will be a long year.

Catsfan2
December 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
From the starters -- I believe Nova loses 2 each from the O and D lines, a WR, a TE, a LB, a corner and the kicker.

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
'Nova has Whitney, Young, Sczcur and Ball all coming back, as far as I know. That's pretty nice.

HLNgriz
December 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM

If Moss would have stayed out of trouble at FSU both the Griz and FSU would have been NC that year.:D

mainejeff
December 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Maine won't be anywhere in the Top 25 if they don't get their act together on offense (schemes, play calling, utilization of talent, starting a true D-1 QB).......they didn't even give their best talent (Turcotte) the ball during the last 6 quarters of football despite Cosgrove publicly stating that he thought Turcotte was a 1-A (FBS) talent........xbangx xbangx xbangx

T-Dawg95
December 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I think Wofford and Montana are too high. I don't like having any team that loses a QB that high. I'd tend to think SCSU with Malcolm Long and Elon with Riddle back would both make good bets in the top 10.

In most situations I'd agree with you. Now I don't know much of Montana's QB situation, but Wofford will likely be upgrading its QB position from 2008-2009. The back-up ran the option to perfection, and slashed opposing defenses. And though he didn't throw as many passes as Ben did, he proved to be very efficient, only throwing 2 INTs for the season. Coupled with another QB on the roster who can double as a HB, and we've got a very powerful and intriguing backfield situation going into 2009.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Are you sure you'll lose that one? Coulson will have you favored. xlolx

I didn't want to over reach. Sure we could beat Florida, but Edwards would be gone so we will probably be the underdogs. xwhistlex

ElonPride
December 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Riddle has passed for almost 7,000 yards and has accounted for 75 TDs in his 1st two seasons.....glad we'll have him at the helm for 2 more!!!!!!

andy7171
December 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Though maybe not top 10, but I bet Delaware gets in the top 20 on name alone. xrolleyesx

WrenFGun
December 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I think last year proved that UD should not be in the top 25 with a complete ? at QB.

NYJMUSupporter
December 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I would not be so quick to assume that Dudzik will be the starter for JMU next year. I am a big fan of Drew's, but a lot of people affiliated with the JMU Football Program are very very high on Thorpe. Mickey said that he is the only QB whose throws hurt the receivers in practice. Speaking as someone who saw this kid play at Varina High School, he has the tools to pick up right where Rodney left off. With that being said, he has to prove it on the field.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I would not be so quick to assume that Dudzik will be the starter for JMU next year. I am a big fan of Drew's, but a lot of people affiliated with the JMU Football Program are very very high on Thorpe. Mickey said that he is the only QB whose throws hurt the receivers in practice. Speaking as someone who saw this kid play at Varina High School, he has the tools to pick up right where Rodney left off. With that being said, he has to prove it on the field.

I'll be interested to see if Mickey will tilt the offense towards Dudzik's strengths, or stick with the current emphasis towards read option. If he keeps things as they are, it will improve Thorpe's chances of winning the job.

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think last year proved that UD should not be in the top 25 with a complete ? at QB.

I agree.. but 'IF' the Hens find a QB.. they could be back in the playoff hunt a lot sooner than expected.

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I'll be interested to see if Mickey will tilt the offense towards Dudzik's strengths, or stick with the current emphasis towards read option. If he keeps things as they are, it will improve Thorpe's chances of winning the job.

I think Dudzik will be the favorite. You have to at least reward his service to this point, but how far he goes will definitely depend on SF's point.

DaDukes40
December 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
JMU has to be a favorite as well. I understand there is a question mark at QB...but for those that have seen Dudzik play, there is little doubt he will take over and play very well. By no means will he be Landers, but he shouldn't have to be. Yancy, Sullivan, Kerby Long, Rock McCarter, Julius Graves, etc. etc. all back on offense. Long (fr), Sullivan (so), Yancy (so), Graves (fr) are all very good now and will only continue to be better. Plus the last few years have been the best recruiting classes each year according to MM...JMU won't miss a beat.

Ummm ... there are actually quite a few who believe Thorpe has a good shot to beat out Dudzik. I think it will be Dudzik's job to lose is spring practice, but he is very capable of losing it. I've seen Dudzik quite a bit and I don't think he's anything special for JMU. I'd compare him to a Matt LeZotte more than a Justin Rascatti.

Also key players JMU has to replace: OT T. Apted, C Scott Lemm (very underrated loss for the Dukes), RB E. Holloman (should be okay here), DE H. Abdul-Wahid, LB DJ Brandon (this has already started), CB E. McCollough, S M. Haywood and our kicker and punter.

I think JMU can contend for a playoff spot with what they have back but make no mistake, there window is now.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM
In addition to McCullough and Haywood (a big loss) in the secondary, Darreius Ramsey will also be gone. He's been a key roleplayer guy for the Dukes at both corner, and as backup to McGee on kick returns.

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
In addition to McCullough and Haywood (a big loss) in the secondary, Darreius Ramsey will also be gone. He's been a key roleplayer guy for the Dukes at both corner, and as backup to McGee on kick returns.

Yea, our new DBs will have to man up. I love Scotty McGee to death, but his corner play is lacking...

jmufan999
December 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
people just a couple of years ago were saying, "who is rodney landers?"... there's no saying the next guy can't have a different skill set... not to say he'll be better. but maybe he'll be a better passer, just as an example. it's tough to say at this point.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Young Terrier....Geeze...I know it is Wofford, but you are way to conservative. Are you serious or are you being the "Wofford Way"? Wofford is gonna be good next year.

Umm..I wouldn't say that. Heck I was the only one at the upper state AGS meeting who predicted 9-2 and they called me overconfident. The thing is that we're replacing 3 OL and that is easier said than done. I'm confident in Mitch Allen's ability running the ball but I'm not sure about other plays. If you would remember he was in most of the game during the GSU collapse and some of the lack of success on the goal line could be accredited to bad reads.

The thing is we just don't KNOW. Defensively we should be solid but when it comes to LBs we just don't KNOW.

I think we can make the playoffs, but we have the potential to win every game next year. I'm just saying what I know will happen for sure.

petethepenguin15
December 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Don't ya think it is a bit early to be picking the top 10 next year when
the playoffs arn't even over? well about my Penguins I really hope they
can pick it up and have a good team next year. Im not expecting anything
but I dont want to be embarssed with another 7th place finish in the MVC.

elon77
December 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Elon only loses about 4 or 5 in their two deep chart. 1 wide Rec., De, 2 LB's and that's about all. Both kickers are gone which could be a huge loss. With the way they have fizzled down the stretch the last 2 years it should be interesting.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm actually really glad that there's no talk of EWU in the preseason top 10 (well other than by me). I think it got into the players' heads this year, and coupled with the coaching change, we choked. It certainly wasn't for lack of talent... we have the caliber of players to make a championship run. I think learning from this last season and having a year to get comfortable to the new coaches and their system, EWU will come out strong in the underdog role next season. GO EAGLES! xthumbsupx

T-Dog
December 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The SoCon is going to be scary good next year. Elon is getting better and better, Wofford is returning a lot, App is returning most everyone and GaSo is returning all their great players. Of course you got Furman who's always competitive (if they don't improve next year, I think Lamb could be in trouble), WCU and Samford who are on the rise, El Cit who could bounce back, and UTC who can't possible be worse than this year.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think Dudzik will be the favorite. You have to at least reward his service to this point, but how far he goes will definitely depend on SF's point.

Duzdik will get the nod. The kid is accurate throwing the ball, is quick, and very shifty. Sure he doesn't have the "umph" of Landers when he runs but with his arm people will have to respect the pass more giving him more time to get in open field where he can be shifty. Watching him in spring practice I was amazed how many missed tackles or broken tackles he caused. Thorpe will wait his turn just like Duzdik waited his. I remember a LOT of JMU fans saying Landers had no chance at starting over Duzdik. Food for thought.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM

We did lose our QB last yearxwhistlex

gbhmt
December 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM

We lost nearly all of our starters this year and got this far, and we're returning nearly everyone this year. I firmly believe that our QB for next year has just as good if not a better arm than our current QB, but maybe with a little less mobility. QB is the least of my concerns with our team.

mtgrizfankb
December 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM
but we do have ALSO, a recruit forUCF checking us out for transfer AND we have a Redshirt FR this year... will be playing next year at QB with ALOT OF MOBILITY....overall with Chase going to be a JR. we will still have the OL and all the D except Colt and we will still have Mariani. UH LOOK OUT NEXT YEAR! MONTANA WILL BE AND I REPEAT WILL BE A TOP 5 TEAM NEXT YEAR.

Thunderstruck84
December 6th, 2008, 03:15 AM
<Me 4 months ago>
We return practically everyone except our QB and MLB, we'll be fine.
</Me 4 months ago>

Never underestimate the loss of 1 or 2 key players, it can mean the difference between 10-1 and 6-5. I've seen it firsthand. You'll never know how the next guy in line is going to respond until he has to do it week in and week out.

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM
<Me 4 months ago>
We return practically everyone except our QB and MLB, we'll be fine.
</Me 4 months ago>

Never underestimate the loss of 1 or 2 key players, it can mean the difference between 10-1 and 6-5. I've seen it firsthand. You'll never know how the next guy in line is going to respond until he has to do it week in and week out.Well, not too mention the fact that NDSU switched into a much harder conference than the Great West.

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2008, 03:25 AM
but we do have ALSO, a recruit forUCF checking us out for transfer AND we have a Redshirt FR this year... will be playing next year at QB with ALOT OF MOBILITY....overall with Chase going to be a JR. we will still have the OL and all the D except Colt and we will still have Mariani. UH LOOK OUT NEXT YEAR! MONTANA WILL BE AND I REPEAT WILL BE A TOP 5 TEAM NEXT YEAR.I think it'd be silly not to hand the reigns over to Selle next year, and bring in a transfer.

Selle is a better pure passer than Bergquist with a better arm, too, and with a little experience, he could be overall better, as well.

Thunderstruck84
December 6th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Well, not too mention the fact that NDSU switched into a much harder conference than the Great West.
I don't mean to hijack the thread topic but if you ask me, that whole theory is overrated. NDSU easily handled WIU on the road and Ill St at the Fargodome in 2007. IMO, that's a poor excuse and it's only trying to cover up the fact that there just weren't enough impact players this year to win the close games.

If you ask me, this year's NDSU squad would go 7-4 against last year's schedule and last year's NDSU squad would go 10-1 against this year's schedule. I could be wrong (I was as the start of this year) but I truly believe that would be the case.

CID1990
December 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM
You couldn't be more right. They are an absolute joke. when it comes to the whole "rivals 100" thing the rankings probably have some legitimacy, but outside of that they have no clue what they're talking about. Rivals won't give a kid that signs with an FBS school less the 2 stars...The kid might not have even been on anybody's radar, but the second he signs he gets classified as a 2 star prospect by default...it's retarded. The FCS is littered with "2 star" talent. It's all of the guys who fell through the cracks of FBS recruiters for one reason or another.

I think Andre Roberts was one star or something like that.

CID1990
December 6th, 2008, 06:32 AM
The Citadel will be somewhat stronger next year. Higgins had a 3rd year setback at Lehigh after initial successes, and then after that losing season Lehigh went 12-1. I don't see 12-1 for El Cid next year, but I definitely see a winning season. We'll get some help from the fact that we are only playing one FBS team (UNC) and we don't have a Webber on the schedule (that should help with the number of D-I win potential as long as we schedule a cupcake FCS). We also have Princeton on their field. Our band is planning to go up there and play Dixie over and over and over..... all in good fun, you know?

We are pretty much returning everybody with a couple losses on defense. Andre will be back. John Shaw will be eligible (UNI tranny RB with a motor you won't believe), and we might have a sleeper at QB who will be competing with Bart Blanchard. His name is Miguel Starks, and he is an Armanti Edwards-like runner. I'm not too sure about his arm, but if he can throw well enough to get the ball to Andre, look out.

Grizalltheway
October 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I don't even know if we're going to be the best team in our conference next year, let alone in the whole country.

Well shoot, we were pretty close.