PDA

View Full Version : Championship game

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Does anybody know when they vote on who gets to host the championship games? As in when Chattanooga will no longer get to host it. Nothing against Tennessee, but their field was really bad last year in the chanpionship game and they didn't sell out. Why don't they have the game somewhere it will sell out and have a really big I-AA fan base.

GoGuins
November 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I think they put an artificial field down, something like Field Turf.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Does anybody know when they vote on who gets to host the championship games? As in when Chattanooga will no longer get to host it. Nothing against Tennessee, but their field was really bad last year in the chanpionship game and they didn't sell out. Why don't they have the game somewhere it will sell out and have a really big I-AA fan base.
The field has been replaced with artificial, but their contract is up. I'm guessing it gets renewed for another 2-3 years with the announcement around this year's game (speculation on my part).

Nowhere will sell out unless you move it to the campus of one of the finalists.

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Nice, that should fix the problems everybody had last year.

GaSouthern
November 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM
The field has been replaced with artificial, but their contract is up. I'm guessing it gets renewed for another 2-3 years with the announcement around this year's game (speculation on my part).

IE: 1989 Championship game
http://www.gsustore.com/webitemimages/559/W5089.jpg

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Gasp!! Is that painted endzones??? I love painted endzones. But why isn't the far endzone painted?

GaSouthern
November 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Gasp!! Is that painted endzones??? I love painted endzones. But why isn't the far endzone painted?

Because thats how GSU does the endzone, SFA had painted endzones so we tried to make them feel just a lil at home :D

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Just as soon as you do that, you will end up with a EWU-UNH final. EWU 8600 cap, UNH 6500 cap.

fuEMO
November 16th, 2005, 11:16 AM
IE: 1989 Championship game
http://www.gsustore.com/webitemimages/559/W5089.jpg

Damn, that image makes me sick. The Paladins would have kicked some Eagle a$$. I think the 89 team was one of the best Paladin Teams ever. DeBusk takes a hit on the knee against W&M and is out for the playoffs. We then beat YSU and lose to SFA in the friggin snow, we failed to convert a 2pt conversion. Then to make things worse SFA, had to forfeit the 2nd place finish. :(

GaSouthern
November 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Just as soon as you do that, you will end up with a EWU-UNH final. EWU 8600 cap, UNH 6500 cap.

Yeah that would look horrible!

What was the attendance at last years NC game?

I know a Griz - GSU game would have a huge crowd!

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
No one wants a Griz/GSU final!!!!! Let some other team in the NC for jeepers sake!!

LOL

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
17,000 people.

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
What other Teams besides GSU and Montana would bring a large following.

App State would bring a huge following to Chattanooga.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I think that Hampton would probably bring a good contingent.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
App State would bring a huge following to Chattanooga.
:nod: Matter of fact, I'd have to believe they'd bring more than anyone.

gsugt1
November 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
:nod: Matter of fact, I'd have to believe they'd bring more than anyone.
Cause they ain't never been there in December :D

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

What has he won Johnny?

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 12:09 PM
That, and the fact that they are averaging 23,000 per game and its only 6 hours away.

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Ok I've made a decision based upon the above stated information in the above posts........I, Laces, of the AGS board, hereby pledge my Division I-AA playoff fanship (yes, that's a word, I just made it up) to App State. Others are welcome to join. If App State will let us, I mean. That is all........

Hamptongal
November 16th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I think that Hampton would probably bring a good contingent.
I got 40 from one family that would come.

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
dude, my research says Hampton is averaging 12,000??? The Griz average over 23,000

Eaglegus2
I got 40 from one family that would come.

Now, that is a big family Hamptongal. Hope you don't have to pay for all those tickets. ;) :)

Saint3333
I'd be weary of jumping on the band wagon of a team that's never even been to the championship game.

I think they have the talent to go all the way, but if the game comes down to a FG, ASU will likely not win, i.e. Furman game.

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 12:21 PM
dude, my research says Hampton is averaging 12,000??? The Griz average over 23,000

We are saying that a huge following to Chattanooga. You know that 23,000 Griz fans won't make the trip.

OL FU
November 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ok I've made a decision based upon the above stated information in the above posts........I, Laces, of the AGS board, hereby pledge my Division I-AA playoff fanship (yes, that's a word, I just made it up) to App State. Others are welcome to join. If App State will let us, I mean. That is all........

I'll Pass :p

Hamptongal
November 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Now, that is a big family Hamptongal. Hope you don't have to pay for all those tickets. ;) :)
They would pay for themselves, they aren't cheapies...you have no idea how big the family is.

grizband
November 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
We are saying that a huge following to Chattanooga. You know that 23,000 Griz fans won't make the trip.
The problem for the Griz, is when they have made the title games, they have either been in Huntington, WV or Chatanooga, TN. If they ever moved the game a little further west, the Griz would have an even larger contingent. All the talk about the game in Vegas, if that happened, and and the Griz made the game, I almost guarantee a sell out.

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'll Pass :p

Ha! I figured you and your kind would!!

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM
They would pay for themselves, they aren't cheapies...you have no idea how big the family is.

Should Georgia Southern have to play Hampton.......you can introduce me to them? :nod:

By the time we have went through the introductions...........it would be time to kick off the game. :D

I like meeting fans from other Teams.

OL FU
November 16th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Ha! I figured you and your kind would!!

In the unlikely event :D that we are no longer participating in the 2005 playoffs, I might consider it :cool:

UDBlueLotFan
November 16th, 2005, 12:31 PM
It would be hard-pressed to find anyone that travels better than Montana. Doen't matter if it's out on Long Island at Hofstra or to Choo-Choo, they're bringing a boat-load of fans. I would like to see a home/visit 2-yr contract with Montana in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM
In my experience, MEAC fans (and HBCU fans in general) travel well. When GSU hosted BBC and FAMU, both brought out fans from other MEAC schools to give them support. Looking at the attendance figures from the NCAA... Southern, Tenn St, FAMU, NC A&T, and SCSU all rank in the top 10 in attendance.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM
All the talk about the game in Vegas, if that happened, and and the Griz made the game, I almost guarantee a sell out.
And if they didn't.....

TypicalTribe
November 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
And if they didn't.....

At least you could get a relatively cheap, direct flight.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Wow, didn't mean to kill the thread that quickly. :o

Hamptongal
November 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Wow, didn't mean to kill the thread that quickly. :o
You are a thread murderer. :eek:

henfan
November 16th, 2005, 02:34 PM
All the talk about the game in Vegas, if that happened, and and the Griz made the game, I almost guarantee a sell out.

Parish the thought. The NCAA will never, ever hold the championship game in Vegas, Atlantic City, Monaco or any other gambling mecca. It just isn't going to happen. SoCal or AZ are probably the only places in the West that would get serious consideration but neither has expressed interest in hosting.

bcrawf
November 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Chattanooga just had their contract extended for 3 more years. UNI made a huge run at it and lost on a 6-5 vote from the committee. Cedar Falls is perfect it is a town that loves 1-aa football and weather is never a factor inside the glorious done.

Plus it is a lot closer for all of our friends in the West!! Our AD is planning at making another huge run in a couple of years and if I had money on it I would expect the 2008 championship to be in the Dome.

EagleCrusade
November 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
In the unlikely event :D that we are no longer participating in the 2005 playoffs, I might consider it :cool:

Hmmm....... I also might consider it.....I dont know though. It depends on who we were playing in the rain when their refs beat us. (rimshot)

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Chattanooga just had their contract extended for 3 more years.
Let me pat myself on the back for calling that just this morning. :p

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Chattanooga just had their contract extended for 3 more years. UNI made a huge run at it and lost on a 6-5 vote from the committee. Cedar Falls is perfect it is a town that loves 1-aa football and weather is never a factor inside the glorious done.

Plus it is a lot closer for all of our friends in the West!! Our AD is planning at making another huge run in a couple of years and if I had money on it I would expect the 2008 championship to be in the Dome.

Are there other things to do in Cedar Falls? That would have an impact.

OL FU
November 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Are there other things to do in Cedar Falls? That would have an impact.

Like "See Rock City" :D

Just kidding I like Chattanooga.

TypicalTribe
November 16th, 2005, 04:00 PM

All things considered, I just can't see a long-term deal to play the championship game in a dome.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Like "See Rock City" :D

Just kidding I like Chattanooga.

You can stay on the north side of Atlanta, and be 1 hr from there, and be 1 hr from Chattanooga. The possibilities for things to do are pretty much endless.

OL FU
November 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
You can stay on the north side of Atlanta, and be 1 hr from there, and be 1 hr from Chattanooga. The possibilities for things to do are pretty much endless.

Well that is true. and actually it's not that far from Nashville. But as I said, I do like Chattanooga also.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Well that is true. and actually it's not that far from Nashville. But as I said, I do like Chattanooga also.
They have the largest freshwater aquarium in the world, very interesting. :) Not to mention lots of history and beautiful scenery.

OL FU
November 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM
They have the largest freshwater aquarium in the world, very interesting. :) Not to mention lots of history and beautiful scenery.

I have to admit I didn't make the 2001 trip. It was back in my days of flying to NY, or Chicago or DC or where ever else there was a company to buy. But years ago, I worked there for about four straight weeks. Actually had a heck of a time. There was a little bar somewhere down town called Dill pickle or the Pickle Barrell or something. Was quite fun.

bcrawf
November 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I am not kidding about Cedar Falls. The NCAA is looking to make money and they could care less if there is anything to do in town or not. We have hosted the national wrestling and cross country championships and may have a 1st and 2nd round Mens Basketball Tournament site in the near future. I think they would welcome the idea of a Dome because it ensures good weather and eliminates no-shows, which makes it look better for the 4 Letter Network!!

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I am not kidding about Cedar Falls. The NCAA is looking to make money and they could care less if there is anything to do in town or not. We have hosted the national wrestling and cross country championships and may have a 1st and 2nd round Mens Basketball Tournament site in the near future. I think they would welcome the idea of a Dome because it ensures good weather and eliminates no-shows, which makes it look better for the 4 Letter Network!!

I will give you the edge for the NCAA wanting to make money. Having said that, they do care what activities the Teams in the Championship have available to them in the community.

Another reason, how many Teams that have been in the Championship game has fans in close proximity to Cedar Falls compared to Chattanooga? If the fans have a great distance to travel the less will attend the Championship game.

I will post back in a few minutes when I find the Teams that have played in Chattanooga in the last few years.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I will give you the edge for the NCAA wanting to make money. I wouldn't.

crunifan
November 16th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Well, Waterloo is right next to Cedar Falls and the two combined have over 100,000 people. And 45 minutes south on I-380 is Iowa's second largest city Cedar Rapids with the area around a quarter of a million. What exactly does Chatanooga have that is so desireable as far as activities?

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Well, Waterloo is right next to Cedar Falls and the two combined have over 100,000 people. And 45 minutes south on I-380 is Iowa's second largest city Cedar Rapids with the area around a quarter of a million. What exactly does Chatanooga have that is so desireable as far as activities?

Atlanta... metropolitan area of about 1.5 mil, with all the activities that go along with it. Cheap airfares. Proximity to more potential IAA fans. Better weather...don't really know about that? Scenery. Night life. Like I said..stay 1hr north of Atl, and 1hr south of Chatty...and you can have it all. With a metro area like that...we should all be pulling for Statesboro over Cedar Falls. Savannah has that population. You'd still get better activities.

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Might not "Sell Out"...

But, bring that thing to Lake Charles, and I guarantee 7,000 McNeese fans will buy tickets...

Why 7K, because that is how many season tickets we sell and, we would simply add it to our season ticket packages as a way to support the game being in LC.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I can hear some Grizzly fans fixing to chime in on that note.

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Here is a list of the Teams in the Championship game from 1997 - 2004 with the attendance at the game.

1997 - Youngstown v. McNeese - Attendance 14,771
1998 - UMass v. Georgia Southern - 17,501
1999 - GSU v. YSU - 20,052
2000 - GSU v. Montana - 17,156
2001 - Montana v. Furman - 12,698
2002 - Western Ky. v. McNeese - 12,360
2003 - Delaware v. Colgate - 14,281
2004 - James Madison v. Montana - 15,599

Montana is the only Team to make the Championship game that is close to Cedar Rapids. They would have a tremendous amount of fans go to the game should Montana make the Championship game. The opposing Team would have a few diehard fans. Cedar Rapids would not provide a large enough response to match the attendance from the games being hosted in Chattanooga.

Face it! The NCAA hopes that Chattanooga or some other eastern city would have a bid placed instead of Cedar Rapids.

Believe me, the NCAA does want to make money instead of losing money on the Championships.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
That, and the fact that they are averaging 23,000 per game and its only 6 hours away.
Actually, I make the trip several times a year on business and it usually takes about 4 1/2 hours from Boone. It took about six or seven hours during the snow storm the day of the 2002 championship game.

SoCon48
November 16th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Parish the thought. The NCAA will never, ever hold the championship game in Vegas, Atlantic City, Monaco or any other gambling mecca. It just isn't going to happen. SoCal or AZ are probably the only places in the West that would get serious consideration but neither has expressed interest in hosting.

It's already been in Sacremento, CA, Wichita Falls, TX (2X), Tacoma WA (2X), Pocatella, ID (2X), Huntington, WEST :D Virginia (4X)

SoCon48
November 16th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Southern Baptists had their convention in Vegas one year...so...

November 17th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Chattanooga just had their contract extended for 3 more years. UNI made a huge run at it and lost on a 6-5 vote from the committee...Link? Proof? I must have missed the press release.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2005, 06:11 AM

that UNH number is innacurate

New Hampshire Cowell Grass 1936 9,571

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=64620

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM

it takes research to determine a teams average attendance? lol

mlbowl
November 17th, 2005, 07:26 AM
I know....I know :deadhorse ....I'm more concerned with WHEN they play the game.....I'd like to see it back on saturday afternoon :nod:

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I will give you the edge for the NCAA wanting to make money. Having said that, they do care what activities the Teams in the Championship have available to them in the community.

Another reason, how many Teams that have been in the Championship game has fans in close proximity to Cedar Falls compared to Chattanooga? If the fans have a great distance to travel the less will attend the Championship game.
:nod: Obviously it will be a sell-out but let's see what people have to say about the Super Bowl in Detroit this year. In a dome in a cold weather location, perhaps not attractive as Miami, Cali, Atlanta, NO....

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 07:55 AM
What exactly does Chatanooga have that is so desireable
75 I-AA teams within driving distance. :nod:

Everyone likes to talk about cheap airfares.... STOP. As soon as fans can't drive, attendance will be much lower. :deadhorse

eaglesrthe1
November 17th, 2005, 09:34 AM
that UNH number is innacurate

New Hampshire Cowell Grass 1936 9,571

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=64620

I wasn't trying to spread any disinformation. I was just using the NCAA's figures.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attendance/IAA_CAPACITY.pdf

November 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I wasn't trying to spread any disinformation...I went to the NCAA site today and noticed they had I-AA spelled four different ways on ONE PAGE! :(

pete4256
November 17th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I went to the NCAA site today and noticed they had I-AA spelled four different ways on ONE PAGE! :(

I think the NCAA needs a visit from the Nomenclature Nazi.

by the way, Ralph, I really do think I should earn points toward a prize every time I correct a poster on the whole "I-AA" thing.

I mean, even tuffp.com sent me a sweatshirt.

Retro
November 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM

At least 8,000 Mcneese fans of this total.

Again, at least 8,000 of those were mcneese fans despite WKU being closer..

I think if you have the right combination of teams, a sellout is possible or at least 20,000 people.. Say Mcneese, Ga Southern, Montana, Delaware, etc..

You have to look beyond home attendance.. You have to consider how many fans usually travel to your teams road games.. Thats a better gauge and then add a few thousand for big game puposes.

grizband
November 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
75 I-AA teams within driving distance. :nod:

Everyone likes to talk about cheap airfares.... STOP. As soon as fans can't drive, attendance will be much lower. :deadhorse
This was the case last year. The day before the game, 90% of the fans I saw were Montana fans. Then the day of the game, a swarm of JMU fans showed up. Im not sure the distance but I know that JMU is driving distance from Chatty.

DemiGS
November 17th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I for one, hope they never move the NC game to a dome in the future! What a wet blanket that would be. Now dont get me wrong - as a GSU fan I have plenty gripe about the old field at UTC. But now that its been fixed, I think chatty is about the perfect place. I had a ball in the town before and after the game.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
If you want to move the IAA title game to a Dome how about the Fargodome. I don't know if there is a better Dome in IAA and Fargo does have a large football fan base. I think Fargo made a run at the DII title game a while back and I think they would make a run at the IAA title game. Here is some pictures of the Dome.

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics13/400/CC/CCZMRLNCACLMCZG.20050628173941.gif

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics4/400/LY/LYBGOESFAWWUOBN.20050304211311.gif

bandl
November 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
This was the case last year. The day before the game, 90% of the fans I saw were Montana fans. Then the day of the game, a swarm of JMU fans showed up. Im not sure the distance but I know that JMU is driving distance from Chatty.

About 7-8 hours from the 'Burg. 10 hours from the DC area. It helps that the holler parts of Virginia are only several hours from Chatty.

Jacks99
November 17th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Here is a list of the Teams in the Championship game from 1997 - 2004 with the attendance at the game.

1998 - UMass v. Georgia Southern - 17,501
1999 - GSU v. YSU - 20,052
2000 - GSU v. Montana - 17,156
2001 - Montana v. Furman - 12,698
2003 - Delaware v. Colgate - 14,281
2004 - James Madison v. Montana - 15,599

Montana is the only Team to make the Championship game that is close to Cedar Rapids. They would have a tremendous amount of fans go to the game should Montana make the Championship game. The opposing Team would have a few diehard fans. Cedar Rapids would not provide a large enough response to match the attendance from the games being hosted in Chattanooga.

Face it! The NCAA hopes that Chattanooga or some other eastern city would have a bid placed instead of Cedar Rapids.

Believe me, the NCAA does want to make money instead of losing money on the Championships.

I believe you are using the term "close" very loosely here.

From Mapblast:

Total Distance: 1412.2 Miles
Estimated Total Time: 19 hours, 50 minutes

I think the east coast teams are closer than that.

Ronbo
November 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
If you want to move the IAA title game to a Dome how about the Fargodome. I don't know if there is a better Dome in IAA and Fargo does have a large football fan base. I think Fargo made a run at the DII title game a while back and I think they would make a run at the IAA title game. Here is some pictures of the Dome.

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics13/400/CC/CCZMRLNCACLMCZG.20050628173941.gif

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics4/400/LY/LYBGOESFAWWUOBN.20050304211311.gif

How many would show up there for a matchup of say Furman vs. James Madison? If anyone but the Bison were in the game how many locals?

Jacks99
November 17th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I bet you would get a few die-hard SDSU fans to drive up for that, not many though. Can't speak for the NDSU crowd, but I would think a few thousand would come. They have quite a following and I would imagine many are hard core DI-AA fans now.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM
How many would show up there for a matchup of say Furman vs. James Madison? If anyone but the Bison were in the game how many locals?

I think you could get maybe 7,000-10,000 local people. There are about 200,000 people in the Fargo Metro area so I think that could be about right. I know the game would get plenty of local media attention. It is kind of hard to say just how many people would be there because Fargo has never really had an event like this before.