PDA

View Full Version : Football returning to UVM?

UNH SUPERFAN
December 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
I know everyone's attention is on the playoffs but an interesting article nontheless.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20081203/SPORTS/812030344/1007/SPORTS

BearsCountry
December 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Its a start, especially for those who want to see America East football someday.

griz8791
December 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I can't imagine going to college at a school that doesn't have football. UVM needs to bring it back. So does Gonzaga.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Vermont too remote? I guess they've never been to Missoula or Bozeman. xeyebrowx

danefan
December 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
funny timing
article in the NY Times today:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53636

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
why not... all schools should have football... who doesnt like football? not me...

Tim James
December 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Saying all schools should have football is dumb. Not all small catholic/private schools can support it. That being said, Vermont being a state university should have it.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Can't see a school in Vermont going against title IX enough to put a team on the field-especially not the state flagship. It's a shame that there isn't a public school in the state which has a team, but it's probably going to stay that way.

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
I think any given Saturday fans should try to write letters to the administration at UVM to help the cause. Or at least write to this DeLuca to try and support him in his endeavor. I think UVM would have a very tough program because the Burlington area would support that team like crazy. Just an idea.

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Can't see a school in Vermont going against title IX enough to put a team on the field-especially not the state flagship. It's a shame that there isn't a public school in the state which has a team, but it's probably going to stay that way.

Not true Castleton state college is starting a program next year.

BlueHen86
December 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
why not... all schools should have football... who doesnt like football? not me...

Isn't that a triple negative.:D

xlolx

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I know one of the QB's, Drew Trombley, he was a childhood friend from Lake George. Great kid, and he says that it has been pretty fun. This years competition was a little harder with them playing NESCAC JV teams, but he said it was great to play those teams and will only make them better for next year.

I don't see it becoming a varsity sport again at UVM anytime soon, but it is pretty cool that these kids have an opportunity to keep playing.

Tim James
December 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'm actually surprised Vermont hasn't dropped baseball.

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
If I'm not wrong I believe the only college in Vermont that has a football team is still Middlebury.

UNHFan
December 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
People you need to understand the minds of most New Englanders. People are shocked when I say anything about UNH Football. The fisrt thing they say is "Did you go to UNH?" And when I say "no" they look at me in amazememt! These are people who love the Pat's Sox Bruins ect. Just dont get it period Its just they way it is here. I know I know Im going to hear from all the overly sensitive NE's Buts it a fact I hope UVM Gets it going though I do think the minds of New Englanders is starting to change for the better so there is hope Collage Ball up here.

GeeWiz
December 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I can't imagine going to college at a school that doesn't have football. UVM needs to bring it back. So does Gonzaga.

Hmmm, and I thought people went to college for a higher education. xconfusedx

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
If I'm not wrong I believe the only college in Vermont that has a football team is still Middlebury.

you are wrong Norwich University has FB and Castleton will next season

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
People you need to understand the minds of most New Englanders. People are shocked when I say anything about UNH Football. The fisrt thing they say is "Did you go to UNH?" And when I say "no" they look at me in amazememt! These are people who love the Pat's Sox Bruins ect. Just dont get it period Its just they way it is here. I know I know Im going to hear from all the overly sensitive NE's Buts it a fact I hope UVM Gets it going though I do think the minds of New Englanders is starting to change for the better so there is hope Collage Ball up here.

you are 100% right. I really do think it is different in VT however. Because VT isnt close to Boston it seams to be more into anything UVM. such as hockey and basketball. I think UVM football would be a hit in the state.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hmmm, and I thought people went to college for a higher education. xconfusedx

College is for football, you get an education when you get a job.:D

smcwildcat
December 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
I go to saint michael's college (5 mins away) and believe me itss killlin me how there is no football ... funny story I actually asked the uvm club coach if I would be able to play and he turned me down...

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
you are wrong Norwich University has FB and Castleton will next season

I see. How long has Norwich had a team?

smcwildcat
December 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
this gives me hope to start it up at Saint Mikes!!! any supporters?

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I see. How long has Norwich had a team?

forever. it think it started in the early 1900's

aceinthehole
December 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
According to the UVM administrators quoted in the NY Times article, this isn't a step toward varsity (I-AA) football.

Vermont athletic officials, whose varsity teams play in N.C.A.A. Division I, have been emphatic that the club team is not and never will be a precursor to varsity football. But they have been heartened by the club’s progress.

“It’s filled a void and been a service to the student body,” Corran said. “We can’t do anything but applaud their efforts.”

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
forever. it think it started in the early 1900's

Wow, someone lied to me a long time ago then and told me Middlebury was the only college with football in Vermont. Damn that person! xmadx xlolx

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
According to the UVM administrators quoted in the NY Times article, this isn't a step toward varsity (I-AA) football.

University adminstrators that hate football: dime a dozen.

Seawolf97
December 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
It will always be the cost that keeps many good club programs from getting off the ground.

henfan
December 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'd be surprised if UVm could somehow find the intestinal fortitude to once again begin sponsoring FB. Prior to the turn of the millenimum, they were always in such opposition to the America East landing its own league.

But, still, this is a great thing that Doug DeLuca did. The kid has a bright future on and off the field. xthumbsupx

Hopefully this is a wave that leads other schools in the AEC and elsewhere to start club teams. (I'm talking to you Hartford, BU, Binghamton, Drexel, Virginia Commonwealth, etc.)

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
"They could form their own little league and I would play every one of them," Teevens said." xeyebrowx

SactoHornetFan
December 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
College is for football, you get an education when you get a job.:D

There is a lot of truth in what you said.....

catamount man
December 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
They need varisty college football there again. The home and home between us and them would be awesome. THE BATTLE OF THE CATAMOUNTS!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

rcny46
December 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Not true Castleton state college is starting a program next year.

Seriously? I went to graduate school there,and would love to see that happen.I suppose they'd play at the D-3 level like Plymouth State here in NH.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Seriously? I went to graduate school there,and would love to see that happen.I suppose they'd play at the D-3 level like Plymouth State here in NH.

It IS happening at Castleton, trust me. They have a paid coaching staff that is actively recruiting the state of VT and will start competitive play in '09. They are building a nice little stadium with lights and plan to make it a top-notch program.

Maroon&White
December 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Wow, someone lied to me a long time ago then and told me Middlebury was the only college with football in Vermont. Damn that person! xmadx xlolx

Did you know Don Brown played at Norwich?

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
yes thats true back in the 70's

100%GRIZ
December 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM

Yea - I wonder why Gonzaga doesn't get back into football. It would be a natural with all the success they have in basketball.

dgreco
December 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
this gives me hope to start it up at Saint Mikes!!! any supporters?
The NE-10 could use more teams. That is cost containment at the NE10 too since it is non-schollie

Next year, the NAC is creating a league...