PDA

View Full Version : Who are your unsung heros?

charliej
December 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
We all know the names like Edwards, Landers & Barden...but who are some of your lunch-box guys that quietly get it done every week?

One of the guys I'm glad Nova has is DE Tim Kukucka. 19 solo tackles,14 TFL, 7.5 sacks a forced fumble,pass break up & a blocked kick.xthumbsupx

andy7171
December 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Sean Schaefer.

#2 all time passer in CAA history, #8 all time FCS. In virtual annonimnity.

NoCoDanny
December 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Whoever decided to only schedule 11 games instead of 12.

achrist70
December 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Josh Mahoney, Nick Nelson, and Bob Swift (really whole o-line, but especially Swift)

slostang
December 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Cal Poly Rover Mark Restelli. Restelli was a four year starter and is #9 on Cal Poly's career tackle list. Rover is a cross between a DB and LB and has to be able to stuff the run and run with a WR. Restelli excelled at both for four years.

WrenFGun
December 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
For UNH, DT Steve Young (Best player UNH has had on the DL in awhile), WR Terrance Fox (Does a lot when he touches the ball) and RB Bobby Simpson (leads the team in rushing, but doesn't get the acclaim that Kackert does).

beauvighn
December 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Dane Romero

clenz
December 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Josh Mahoney, Nick Nelson, and Bob Swift (really whole o-line, but especially Swift)The honors for Mahoney are starting to roll in so I personally can't put him there.

However, I agree completely 100% a thousand times over with Nick Nelson.

MountaineerGuy
December 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Our school newspaper's sports editor. She picks against our team and it pumps them up.

achrist70
December 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
The honors for Mahoney are starting to roll in so I personally can't put him there.

However, I agree completely 100% a thousand times over with Nick Nelson.

There starting too but I still think he gets over-looked especially for how good of a STUDENT athlete he is, but yes I guess I should have put Nelson first, he has done a lot for the program that gets over-looked.

JmuSkinsfan
December 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Rockeed McCarter. He doesn't have gaudy #'s but his block helped spring Scotty's PR against Richmond and he has something like 6 Tds in the last 4 games. He reminds me a lot of Marques Colston and I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up as a top 3 round draft pick in a couple years

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
JMU's O-line... take your pick. Solid all year

th0m
December 3rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Both the O-line and McCarter seconded. Rockeed had the HUGE blocks for Scotty's return, he is just a playmaker. Also, when you see him during press conferences, just always very grateful and humble. Our O-line facilitates the same holes it did in 2004. It allowed for Holloman to return to the greatness of 2006, and Yancey to watch and learn!

UNHFan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
I agree on the Terrance Fox call... He is amazing! Dont be shocked if he gets looks from the NFL I dont care how small he is. He is special the forward motion thing he has is axactly what the NFL looks for. phil mcconkey had it and he was shrimp also.

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Mine for the Tribe is QB RJ Archer. Agreed to move to WR as a redshirt freshman, and was the teams second leading receiver over the ensuing two years. Also returned punts, and became the placekick holder. Moved back to QB in Spring of 2007 to push for job. Agreed to move back to QB last Spring, to be the backup to Phillips. Spot duty in key situations this year, including recovering the onside kick that led to TD, and OT against Richmond. Fellow players know that RJ will do anything for his team, and would line up on the OL if asked. Exceptional athlete who will lead the Tribe at QB next year.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Mine for the Tribe is QB RJ Archer. Agreed to move to WR as a redshirt freshman, and was the teams second leading receiver over the ensuing two years. Also returned punts, and became the placekick holder. Moved back to QB in Spring of 2007 to push for job. Agreed to move back to QB last Spring, to be the backup to Phillips. Spot duty in key situations this year, including recovering the onside kick that led to TD, and OT against Richmond. Fellow players know that RJ will do anything for his team, and would line up on the OL if asked. Exceptional athlete who will lead the Tribe at QB next year.

So he only has 1 year of eligibility left?

wideright82
December 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
We all know the names like Edwards, Landers & Barden...but who are some of your lunch-box guys that quietly get it done every week?

One of the guys I'm glad Nova has is DE Tim Kukucka. 19 solo tackles,14 TFL, 7.5 sacks a forced fumble,pass break up & a blocked kick.xthumbsupx

Timmy is great, but my unsung hero award goes to David Dalessandro, of Pittsburgh PA. He has been playing on that bum shoulder of his now since 2006, and he looks like he is 400 when he tries to get up after plays. 2 year captain, and a very overlooked player, he plays with nothing but brut force and determination. I might add he is quite the dancer as well. xthumbsupx

also tim was an all conference candidate at the beginning of the season

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
So he only has 1 year of eligibility left?

Correct.

Career stats.

Receiving: 69 catches for 940 yards and 1 TD.

Rushing: 25 carries for 104 yards and 2 TDs.

QB: 29 of 55 for 412 yards and 3 TDs with one INT.

Native
December 3rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Weber State's Josh Morris (6-0, 180 DB) is one of several Wildcats to make my list. He covered Ramses Barden in the WSU/Cal Poly playoff game, held QB Dally to only six completions on 14 attempts to Barden, and made one of the four interceptions.

Gotta give love as well to the defenders who pressured Dally into the record breaking four picks on the game, including Bryce Scanlon (6-3, 295 DT) and Kevin Linehan (6-3, 255 DE).

Morris and Linehan are underclassmen who will return next year.

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Ben Jorden TE...
he gets some love but he sure doesnt get enough
27 catches... 454 yards... 6tds... and a great blocker...

AND ONLY A FRESHMAN...

jmufan999
December 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
i do like the Rock and/or O-line nominations...

how about Griff Yancey (So. - RB)? 22 total TD's, 5.9 yards per carry.

not bad for a guy that is mentioned AFTER Landers, McGee, and Holloman.

HighRyder08
December 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I second Ben Jordan as well.... been a great asset to the team this year. Also Blake Elder. He gives 110% every play and will block defenders till the sun goes down

charliej
December 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Timmy is great, but my unsung hero award goes to David Dalessandro, of Pittsburgh PA. He has been playing on that bum shoulder of his now since 2006, and he looks like he is 400 when he tries to get up after plays. 2 year captain, and a very overlooked player, he plays with nothing but brut force and determination. I might add he is quite the dancer as well. xthumbsupx

also tim was an all conference candidate at the beginning of the season I agree.. xoopsx Dave is another exceptional player. He's the heart & soul of this defense IMO. Great kid too.

Khan4Cats
December 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I would agree with Nelson. Does a little of everything, starting at Safety now following injuries, does kick and punt teams. Was originally a QB, would love to see a fake punt utilizing him.

I would add Brook Black. Stepping in as punter after losing the starting job in warm-ups of the first game last year. The kid has a way of stopping balls inside the 5 in the Dome.

wideright82
December 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
I agree.. xoopsx Dave is another exceptional player. He's the heart & soul of this defense IMO. Great kid too.

Couldn't agree more. One of my closest friends.

(guess that makes my choice a homer vote)

Screamin_Eagle174
December 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
For Montana, I'd say Greg Peach. He recovered that fumble by Weber State in the redzone to secure Eastern's win and keep the Griz streak of BSC championships alive. xthumbsupx

For EWU, I'd say WR Brynsen Brown. Aaron Boyce always took the limelight, but Boyce had some huge plays and caught a lot of balls for Edub this year.

In years past, I'd say WR Raul Vijil... his startlight was overshadowed by Eric Kimble. Vijil was solid and a big part of why we beat Montana in 2005. He signed with AF2 Spokane Shock their inaugural year where he won a national championship. He's been with the Shock every year since and is their best WR.

Native
December 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
For Sac State, I'd say SuperHornet, who has stayed with i s team through thick and thin! ...mostly thin... xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASU_Pads
December 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Our school newspaper's sports editor. She picks against our team and it pumps them up.

Haha, I was at the press conference after the Wofford game. Well, not really a press conference, just jumbled interviews on the balcony of the field house... anyway, you should have seen the writers from the school paper when every player, and Coach Moore, mentioned that even the school paper didn't give them a chance. xoopsx Priceless.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 3rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, can't forget the Johnson twins on defense for EWU. As redshirt freshmen, they led the team in tackles! LB Zach Johnson had 96 total tackles (50 solo) and DB Matt Johnson had 83 (45 solo). xthumbsupx

Matt also had his first pick in his first start against Texas Tech to help get us on the scoreboard and keep us in the game when we were down 21-0.

clenz
December 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I would also add center Austin Steichen for UNI.

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
i do like the Rock and/or O-line nominations...

how about Griff Yancey (So. - RB)? 22 total TD's, 5.9 yards per carry.

not bad for a guy that is mentioned AFTER Landers, McGee, and Holloman.

Griff is scary good. He is going to be a Payton candidate for the next two years. I'm actually surprised he wasn't this year. I know he doesn't necessarily have the yards, but as a RB / WR threat...and with 22 Tds...he will be for the next 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a high draft pick. He has great size and speed. I think he's 6'2 220

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
And if he remains on this pace, he will shatter JMU career records. I can't wait to see how he does next year as the main back (although I don't think JMU will ever have a "feature" back) ... but in this system he could easily see 20 carries per game +