PDA

View Full Version : Alcorn Fires all 9 Assistant Football Coaches

jstate83
December 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
I can't see a head coach staying after something like this.
How can you fire everybody on the staff and not even tell the head coach that hired them until after.

Look for Ernest to be gone by week's end.
There has got to be more to this than is being told.
THE AD FIRED THESE GUY'S ON THANKSGIVING DAY BY LETTER'S LEFT IN THEIR MAILBOXES. xeekx

Ernest jones confirm's Thanksgiving Day News Report's (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20081202/SPORTS030105/812020349/1085/SPORTS)

Alcorn State's entire football assistant coaching staff has been fired by athletic director Darren Hamilton, first-year coach Ernest Jones said Monday.

Jones then referred all further questions to attorneys Ricky Left and Wayne Farrell.

Jones said he was told of the changes Monday, when he and Hamilton talked face-to-face for the first time since the season-ending 26-21 loss to JSU on Nov. 22. The nine assistants were informed of the dismissals via letters left in their office mailboxes.

The coaches let go are: Earnest Collins, associate head coach and defensive coordinator; Dino Dawson, offensive coordinator; Michael Armour, wide receivers; Lorenzo Guess, strength and conditioning; Keith Majors, special teams; Jack Phillips, defensive backs; Terrance Robinson, running backs; Zach Shay, defensive line/linebackers; and Adam Shorter, offensive line.

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
He's a douche of the highest order.

Big Al
December 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
That is crazy.

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Sounds like there is more to come. But it is a crazy way to do business.

813Jag
December 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
and you wonder why they can't win.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Pretty damn lame alright. Sounds like the ***** that he tried to make roll downhill is gonna come rolling back with some momentum. The U Pres should give him a letter Christmas morning for treating people that way. xreadx

UNI Pike
December 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Alcorn State's entire football assistant coaching staff has been fired by athletic director Bobby Petrino, first-year coach Ernest Jones said Monday.

Jones then referred all further questions to attorneys Ricky Left and Wayne Farrell.

Jones said he was told of the changes Monday, when he and Hamilton talked face-to-face for the first time since the season-ending 26-21 loss to JSU on Nov. 22. The nine assistants were informed of the dismissals via letters left in their office mailboxes.

Corrected. As you were

scbc
December 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I wonder who Coach Jones will hire now?

Cobblestone
December 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
THE AD FIRED THESE GUY'S ON THANKSGIVING DAY BY LETTER'S LEFT IN THEIR MAILBOXES. xeekx

Ernest jones confirm's Thanksgiving Day News Report's (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20081202/SPORTS030105/812020349/1085/SPORTS)

Alcorn State's entire football assistant coaching staff has been fired by athletic director Darren Hamilton, first-year coach Ernest Jones said Monday.

The coaches let go are: Earnest Collins, associate head coach and defensive coordinator; Dino Dawson, offensive coordinator; Michael Armour, wide receivers; Lorenzo Guess, strength and conditioning; Keith Majors, special teams; Jack Phillips, defensive backs; Terrance Robinson, running backs; Zach Shay, defensive line/linebackers; and Adam Shorter, offensive line.

I'm sure a move like this will really make people want to coach there. xrolleyesx

BlueHen86
December 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Classless move. Even if they were the worst coaches in the world, it is still a classless move.

MTGrizzFan
December 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Unreal

ASU33
December 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
WTF?!!? What is going on in Lorman, Ms?xconfusedx

Mr. Tiger
December 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
It looks like strange things like this happen when this AD comes to town. Just ask Eastern Washington. xnonono2x

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=9162

crossfire07
December 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
I guess when we find out why they was fired we will probably see who really has lack of "class". something is wrong if you have a lawyer answering questions for you.

GOODY26
December 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
xsmhx Wow, now the coach has to hire 9 new assistants and do this before spring ball.

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/12/2/rp_primary_Deloach_JSU1.jpg

jstate83
December 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I really can't see a head coach staying after something like this.xsmhx
Assistant's get fired all the time, but to do it on a holiday and NOT tell the Head Coach you letting the guy's he hired go until after the fact?

This is what you get when a head coach is hired BEFORE the AD is hired.
I hate Alcorn with a passion but this is a sad, dumb, move on the AD's part.xsmhx

Native
December 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I loved our year at Alcorn in 2006 (the Braves' last winning season), and liked the coaches at that time just fine, but there were some problems with the system. Sadly, this is not shocking news to me. :(

jstate83
December 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
xsmhx Wow, now the coach has to hire 9 new assistants and do this before spring ball.

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/12/2/rp_primary_Deloach_JSU1.jpg

AD fired all his guy's.
I don't think Earnest will have the last word on who get's hired.
Not a good situation.xsmhx

jstate83
December 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
I loved our year at Alcorn in 2006 (the Braves' last winning season), and liked the coaches at that time just fine, but there were some problems with the system. Sadly, this is not shocking news to me. :(

The way this happened after giving these guy's only 6 month's on the job is what caught everybody by surprise here.

6 month's..........................xeekx

ngineer
December 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I never heard of such a thing...The AD firing the assistants without the HC's involvement?!xeekx Typically, the HC is responsible for his staff and HE hires and fires his assistants, abeit in consultation with the AD. UFR.xsmhx

Native
December 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
I guess when we find out why they was fired we will probably see who really has lack of "class". something is wrong if you have a lawyer answering questions for you.

Yup. The lawyer thing is a red flag alright. xsmhx

On the other hand, some of the HBCU administrations have become paralyzed by frivolous staff and faculty lawsuits. Who knows what could be going on? xnonono2x

813Jag
December 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I don't think they hired Coach Jones with any intention of giving him power. I'm sure there were other coaches up for that job. I was surprised to hear his name be chosen.