PDA

View Full Version : The New FCS Awards: Submit your ideas?

Retro
December 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM
The FCS needs to retire the Payton and Buchanon award and start something new for other positions as too many players at other positions left out because of a high profile player at the most glamorous position, which is qb... Payton and Buchanon didn't even play in the FCS or I-AA.

If not that, then make the Payton and Buchanon award something for career achievement over 4 years cumulitive including academics or something to that affect while at the same time having yearly awards for each position... This level needs to recognize more of it's position players..

Perhaps the following to start:

Top QB: McNair award
Top RB: Delaney award
Top WR: Rice award
Top OL: Take a pick
Top LB: Coakley award
Top DL: Pittman award (homer pick:D )
Top DB: Bronson award (another homer pick:D )

Syntax Error
December 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Top QB: Steve McNair award
Top RB: Adrian Peterson award
Top WR: Jerry Rice award
Top OL: Nate Newton award
Top LB: Dexter Coakley award
Top DL: Richard Dent award
Top DB: Aeneas Williams award
Top K: Steve Christie award

Cleets
December 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
The FCS needs to retire the Payton and Buchanon award and start something new for other positions as too many players at other positions left out because of a high profile player at the most glamorous position, which is qb... Payton and Buchanon didn't even play in the FCS or I-AA.

If not that, then make the Payton and Buchanon award something for career achievement over 4 years cumulitive including academics or something to that affect while at the same time having yearly awards for each position... This level needs to recognize more of it's position players..

How about the:
1) Tommy Lee Jones Award (for best FCS player to go on to be an actor)
2) And the Matt Birk Award (OL Best Center)

Both Harvard boys xwhistlex

Syntax Error
December 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah,

Top Coach: Erk Russell award

UNI Pike
December 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM
Best Banned AGS Poster: Capt'n Cap (lifetime achievement)

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Best Banned AGS Poster: (lifetime achievement)I think Citdog has a legitimate right to that and has great FCS knowledge (these are FCS awards).

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM

Eddie Robinson award?

UNHFan
December 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM

Payton Played at 1-AA Jackson State
Buchanon as you spelled it Played at 1-AA Grambling

But I agree all positions should have an award Well they do really. 1st team all american is pretty much it

Appstate29
December 2nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
Oh yeah,

These look good to me. Bjorn Nittmo award for kicker sounds way too awesome to be true though

OhioHen
December 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Payton Played at 1-AA Jackson State
Buchanon as you spelled it Played at 1-AA Grambling

But I agree all positions should have an award Well they do really. 1st team all american is pretty much it

Payton and Buchanan played at JSU and GSU respectively before the NCAA instituted the Division I, II, and III system.

OhioHen
December 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Oh yeah,

Excellent choices for all but one, IMO. Eddie Robinson set the standard, including successful years in the division now known as FCS.

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
I think TSN should keep the Payton, Buchanan and Robinson awards. I would like to see CSN start giving annual position awards, in conjunction with their all-america teams. Ralph, and others could organize a representative group of voters without too much trouble. I'd contribute to an awards fund for the hardware. CSN's status would be enhanced by this kind of recognition.

smallcollegefbfan
December 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
I think TSN should keep the Payton, Buchanan and Robinson awards. I would like to see CSN start giving annual position awards, in conjunction with their all-america teams. Ralph, and others could organize a representative group of voters without too much trouble. I'd contribute to an awards fund for the hardware. CSN's status would be enhanced by this kind of recognition.

That would be a great idea but all the radio, media, SIDs, etc. vote in the TSN awards so the voters would pretty much be the same or a small sampling of the same voters. I wonder if the coaches would vote on something like that? I think that would really legitimize the awards if coaches voted along with the CSN staff.

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
That would be a great idea but all the radio, media, SIDs, etc. vote in the TSN awards so the voters would pretty much be the same or a small sampling of the same voters. I wonder if the coaches would vote on something like that? I think that would really legitimize the awards if coaches voted along with the CSN staff.

Problem with the coaches is that they really don't know much about teams outside their conference, and other opponents. It shows in their poll. I'm sure there would be some overlap of voters, and that's ok. AGS poll voters could be included to make a pretty large pool. Require that an AGS poll voter have at least two years participation with no interruptions.

smallcollegefbfan
December 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Problem with the coaches is that they really don't know much about teams outside their conference, and other opponents. It shows in their poll. I'm sure there would be some overlap of voters, and that's ok. AGS poll voters could be included to make a pretty large pool. Require that an AGS poll voter have at least two years participation with no interruptions.

That would be another good criteria to add to it.

I have always thought that TSN should add some awards as mentioned in the initial post of this thread.

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
The Top QB award would HAVE to be the Kurt Warner award. He's had a better career than McNair.

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM

Would the "Nate Newton" award come with a trophy shaped as a pot plant? xlolx xlolx xlolx
http://edition.cnn.com/2002/LAW/12/11/ctv.penalty.box/index.html

After all, Nate made the NFL's "All Criminal Team":
"Newton was arrested in Louisiana in 2001 for drug possession, police found 213 pounds of marijuana in his vehicle. Five weeks later he was arrested again with another 175 pounds of marijuana. He was sentenced to 30 months in prison."
http://www.pigskinusa.com/NFL_all_criminal_team.html

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM

Agreed. Look at all the position/unit awards in I-A in addition to the Heisman.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=3723628

Retro
December 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
The Top QB award would HAVE to be the Kurt Warner award. He's had a better career than McNair.

Are you talking pro or college, because off the top of my head Mcnair had some awesome numbers at Alcorn?