PDA

View Full Version : Official SLC FB Tiebreaker Scenarios

HPCAT
November 15th, 2005, 06:09 PM
This should be the real deal, not the hearsay we have been BSing about all week. :)

Here's the release from the SLC:

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE FOOTBALL
TIEBREAKER SCENARIOS

Heading into the final weekend, following are tiebreaker scenarios for the Southland Conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA I-AA Football Playoffs. In parenthesis are records based on the stated result.

IF Nicholls State (5-1) defeats McNeese State, Nicholls will secure at least a co-championship and receive the SLC’s automatic berth.

IF Texas State (5-1) defeats Sam Houston State and IF Nicholls State (5-1) defeats McNeese State, Nicholls and Texas State will be co-champions, but Nicholls will receive the automatic berth as a result of defeating Texas State.

IF Texas State (5-1) defeats Sam Houston State and IF McNeese State (4-2) defeats Nicholls State (4-2), Texas State will be the outright champion and receive the automatic bid.

IF Sam Houston State defeats Texas State (4-2) and IF McNeese State (4-2) defeats Nicholls State (4-2), there will be a three way tie for first between Texas State, McNeese and Nicholls. The tied trio would all be 1-1 against the others in which they are tied.

The next tiebreaker is to compare the tied teams against the teams lower in the standings and work down until the tie can be broken. Sam Houston State (3-3) would be fourth in the standings. McNeese and Nicholls each defeated SHSU while Texas State would have lost to SHSU, eliminating Texas State from the tiebreaker. You then go back to the head-to-head between McNeese and Nicholls, giving McNeese the tiebreaker and automatic berth.

In addition, if Northwestern State (3-3) defeats Stephen F. Austin, NWLA and SHSU would be tied for fourth. Under that scenario, Nicholls and McNeese are 2-0 against NWLA and SHSU combined while Texas State would be 1-1, eliminating Texas State from the tiebreaker. You then go back to the head-to-head between McNeese and Nicholls, giving McNeese the tiebreaker and automatic berth.

TexasTerror
November 15th, 2005, 07:26 PM
So the Bobcats just need to win, eh?

SHSU really could make things a mess for the SLC with a win. Jekyll or Hyde?

HPCAT
November 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM
So the Bobcats just need to win, eh?

SHSU really could make things a mess for the SLC with a win. Jekyll or Hyde?

Better bring your "A" game, because you are going to need it to hang with the Texas State Bobcats this year.

Our overrated QB, as you have repeated called him TT, could set the Texas State career passing yards record this game, he already has the total offense record. Not likely though, I believe he needs 421 yards, and if it gets that ugly, he will be pulled to rest for the playoffs.

I believe the key for SHS in this game is to jump out early like Nicholls and A&M did in our only two losses. If Sam gets down early, I do not believe they can come back, SFA made a valiant effort with a much better offense than Sam's, and failed.

Texas State will have the first SLC offense in the last 2 years to have 2000 yards both rushing and passing. We did it in 2003, but look at what a difference having a top 10 defense makes.

I really thought SHS would have had 2000 yards rushing last year.

blackfordpu
November 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
We were all about the passing game last season.

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I really thought SHS would have had 2000 yards rushing last year.

Nope. Just an All-SLC back...

McNeese72
November 16th, 2005, 07:50 AM
This should be the real deal, not the hearsay we have been BSing about all week.

The BS you were hearing wasn't BS, it was the way they used to determine the winner of a three way tie. They've changed it in the last year or so.

But I can understand why the Bobcat fans wouldn't know much about how the SLC uses tiebreakers to determine the conference automatic bid. ;)

JohnStOnge
November 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM
The BS you were hearing wasn't BS, it was the way they used to determine the winner of a three way tie. They've changed it in the last year or so.

But I can understand why the Bobcat fans wouldn't know much about how the SLC uses tiebreakers to determine the conference automatic bid. ;)

Hey, until I read this thread I thought that if three teams tied the one that had spent the longest time without being to the playoffs went. This casts an entirely different light on the situation.

Makes for what should be some pretty good intensity at kickoff in Thibodaux...with both teams needing a win to stay alive for the playoffs.

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Exactly...

Bobcat fans are finally learning what I-AA is and what playoffs are all about...

HPCAT
November 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Exactly...

Bobcat fans are finally learning what I-AA is and what playoffs are all about...

Let's see, who is the only school in the SLC that is playing for the title the last two years in a row ? ;)

McN ? No
NSU ? No
SHS ? Hell No

TEXAS STATE ? Hell Yes

The days of a SLC doormat are over, and the days of a National contender are here, get used to it.

Actually, we were well versed in the rules for last year, as least I was, but in the Business world you do not plan on hearsay, or last year's rules, you validate before speaking as it is fact.

The SLC is the only authority on the matter, and now that they have spoken, it is clear as mud. :)

I actually like the new ruling, it should not matter how long it has been since you were in the playoffs, the best team should represent the conference no matter what.

I am not in favor of playing DII teams, but the 7 win guideline, not rule, as most folks on the board, seem to think it is, could lead to some good teams not making the playoffs. Unfortunately, a team could play a top 10 DII team instead of say a SWAC team and be left out, even though the DII team would be superior to the SWAC team.

I believe you should never schedule 3 games between DII and IA, as it puts you in a bind in which you can only afford one IAA loss. We will be in the same boat next year I believe, and I don't like it. Although Kentucky should be a more winnable game than A&M, but who knows at this point.

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Let's see, who is the only school in the SLC that is playing for the title the last two years in a row ? ;)

McN ? No
NSU ? No
SHS ? Hell No

TEXAS STATE ? Hell Yes

The days of a SLC doormat are over, and the days of a National contender are here, get used to it.

Actually, we were well versed in the rules for last year, as least I was, but in the Business world you do not plan on hearsay, or last year's rules, you validate before speaking as it is fact.

The SLC is the only authority on the matter, and now that they have spoken, it is clear as mud. :)

I actually like the new ruling, it should not matter how long it has been since you were in the playoffs, the best team should represent the conference no matter what.

I am not in favor of playing DII teams, but the 7 win guideline, not rule, as most folks on the board, seem to think it is, could lead to some good teams not making the playoffs. Unfortunately, a team could play a top 10 DII team instead of say a SWAC team and be left out, even though the DII team would be superior to the SWAC team.

I believe you should never schedule 3 games between DII and IA, as it puts you in a bind in which you can only afford one IAA loss. We will be in the same boat next year I believe, and I don't like it. Although Kentucky should be a more winnable game than A&M, but who knows at this point.

Take care of business on Saturday and everything will fall into place.

JohnStOnge
November 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM
HP, I think Texas State has made great strides but before you'll be able to tell it's a real trend toward consistent contender you're going to have to see how y'all do after Nealy leaves. The guy really does change the game entirely. He's probably the most dangerous overall quarterback in the league since Kerry Joseph played at McNeese in 1995. I'm not saying there haven't quarterbacks like McCown, Nall, and Long who weren't real good...what I'm talking about is a college quarterback with a long arm to stretch the field, good accuracy, and the ability to take it the distance from anywhere on the field when he runs it. You're not always going to have it and it makes it very difficult for defenses.

When they said, "He's the Vince Young of I-AA" on the telecast Saturday, I don't think they were being unrealistic at all. That's a once in a decade player for a I-AA program...maybe even a once in a program history player.

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I agree...Cats will lose a lot of seniors AND Nealy after this season. If they can stay afloat and a contender, they'll have something going on...

If not, they'll be like any other team...

beerkat
November 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
to say you were playing for the title the last game of last year is a bit of a stretch, and it hardly makes you the most consistent program. That honor would have to go to Demons or the Cowboys

HPCAT
November 16th, 2005, 05:41 PM
HP, I think Texas State has made great strides but before you'll be able to tell it's a real trend toward consistent contender you're going to have to see how y'all do after Nealy leaves. The guy really does change the game entirely. He's probably the most dangerous overall quarterback in the league since Kerry Joseph played at McNeese in 1995. I'm not saying there haven't quarterbacks like McCown, Nall, and Long who weren't real good...what I'm talking about is a college quarterback with a long arm to stretch the field, good accuracy, and the ability to take it the distance from anywhere on the field when he runs it. You're not always going to have it and it makes it very difficult for defenses.

When they said, "He's the Vince Young of I-AA" on the telecast Saturday, I don't think they were being unrealistic at all. That's a once in a decade player for a I-AA program...maybe even a once in a program history player.

I am with you on that observation, John. Life after Nealy will be interesting to say the least. We will have 4 out of the top 7 receivers back, and Wasson started multiple games last year including Baylor, but Nealy is already the TXST career total offense leader and should be the career passing yards leader by the time he ends his career.

The defense will have to carry the load early in the season next year I believe until the offense gels with Wasson or the reshirt QB that we have that used to play Pro baseball by the name of George. It will be hard to get as mobile a QB as Nealy.

What gets on my nerves is that he caught so much BS from some of our brethren about being overrated last year when he was injured and missed like 5 games. And most of them are not man enough to admit they were wrong and to give credit where credit is due.

I do not see how he could not be in the top 3 for the Payton, but then again I have not seen all of the candidates. I hope to in the playoffs. :)

HPCAT
November 16th, 2005, 05:49 PM
to say you were playing for the title the last game of last year is a bit of a stretch, and it hardly makes you the most consistent program. That honor would have to go to Demons or the Cowboys

What is a stretch, last year the winner of the SH/TXST game shares the title with NSU, that simple. TXST would not have gone to the playoffs even with sharing the title though.

TXST has won more SLC games over the last 2 years than anyone else in the league, if you do not believe me, look it up. It may be hard to believe, but it is true. ;)

McNeese72
November 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM
What is a stretch, last year the winner of the SH/TXST game shares the title with NSU, that simple. TXST would not have gone to the playoffs even with sharing the title though.

TXST has won more SLC games over the last 2 years than anyone else in the league, if you do not believe me, look it up. It may be hard to believe, but it is true. ;)

Hmmm! I wonder who has won more in the last 10 years?? I really don't know but I could make some guesses.

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Yet...nothing to show for it, at this point. That could change come Saturday, we shall see...

Question is...can Cats win in I-AA playoffs? They have yet to play one out of conference I-AA playoff worthy team these last two years and win...

HPCAT
November 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Yet...nothing to show for it, at this point. That could change come Saturday, we shall see...

Question is...can Cats win in I-AA playoffs? They have yet to play one out of conference I-AA playoff worthy team these last two years and win...

I beg to differ, our best I-AA record, and highest National Ranking in I-AA.

Baby steps, but definitely something to build on. A win Saturday, and the sky is the limit this season. There is not a dominant team in I-AA. GSU lost to McN at home, we beat them by 42, Montana squeaks by SDSU at home and we win by 30. I believe we can compete with the big boys.

Yes, it is hard to go to Cal Poly and App State and come back with victories. After SHS does it, please fill us in on the secret.

Quit trying to down play our great season, we are not world beaters, but let the TXST fans enjoy it without trying to belittle every positive aspect of the season.

I am so ready for Saturday. :hyped:

McNeese75
November 16th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I beg to differ, our best I-AA record, and highest National Ranking in I-AA.

Baby steps, but definitely something to build on. A win Saturday, and the sky is the limit this season. There is not a dominant team in I-AA. GSU lost to McN at home, we beat them by 42, Montana squeaks by SDSU at home and we win by 30. I believe we can compete with the big boys.

Yes, it is hard to go to Cal Poly and App State and come back with victories. After SHS does it, please fill us in on the secret.

Quit trying to down play our great season, we are not world beaters, but let the TXST fans enjoy it without trying to belittle every positive aspect of the season.

I am so ready for Saturday. :hyped:

Well then I hope you get get to go to Statesboro and see how much good that 46 point differential will do you there. :asswhip: You got beat by the Colonels in Thibodeaux and that atmosphere is nothing compared to GSU. The speed of the Eagles is something you have not seen this year either.

Time will tell :rolleyes: