PDA

View Full Version : FCS Sanity Check

AAadict
November 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I think it's important to remember one thing. FCS playoffs is a money LOSER! Why? Because college football is to the NFL what the minor leagues are to MLB. Most of my beloved Maryland Terps major in "Letters and Sciences" or "African Studies". The Terps graduate 10% of their b-ball players. There are exceptions but by-and-large FBS football is about the $ and if school pride is also involved well better yet. I don't think the NCAA will ever expand the FCS playoffs. They are over-the-moon when App. St., Montana, or UD make it 'cause they will likely break even. Villanova vs. Richmond and they will draw 10K max. in Tenn. I'm rooting hard against App. St. but I'm sure the NCAA is not. They want to break even.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think it's important to remember one thing. FCS playoffs is a money LOSER! Why? Because FCS is to FBS what the minor leagues are to MLB. Most of my beloved Maryland Terps major in "Letters and Sciences" or "African Studies". The Terps graduate 10% of their b-ball players. There are exceptions but by-and-large FBS football is about the $ and if school pride is also involved well better yet. I don't think the NCAA will ever expand the FCS playoffs. They are over-the-moon when App. St., Montana, or UD make it 'cause they will likely break even. Villanova vs. Richmond and they will draw 10K max. in Tenn. I'm rooting hard against App. St. but I'm sure the NCAA is not. They want to break even.

Fixed. FBS makes loads of cash.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Let's face it, too, the schools and players in the FCS are a bit more about the player getting an education and a degree than in most of the upper tier of FBS. Grad rates at most FCS schools would bear this out, I believe. For example, UD, a fine school with a good reputation among job recruiters, has perenially had a very good graduation rate among its football players. Clearly, those kids have their priorities in order and go into the world prepared to be successful in a chosen endeavor.

AppStateSVX
November 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM
does this thread have a point? so UD isn't in the playoffs and now you are downing the playoffs? Sour Grapes anyone?

Go...gate
November 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM
does this thread have a point? so UD isn't in the playoffs and now you are downing them? Sour Grapes anyone?

WHAT??? xconfusedx

I don't think anyone is downing UD. I certainly am not.

AppStateSVX
November 30th, 2008, 11:59 PM
post fixed : )

RideHighMustangs
December 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Let's face it, too, the schools and players in the FCS are a bit more about the player getting an education and a degree than in most of the upper tier of FBS. Grad rates at most FCS schools would bear this out, I believe. For example, UD, a fine school with a good reputation among job recruiters, has perenially had a very good graduation rate among its football players. Clearly, those kids have their priorities in order and go into the world prepared to be successful in a chosen endeavor.

Jason Cox, Cal Poly's normal starting Center, is a Civil Engineering major (Poly's CE program is one of the top programs in the nation)

Ramses Bardon has a major (business) and a minor (don't know), and I heard that he has a 3.0+ GPA.

Let's face it folks, FCS puts the student part in student-athlete first more than the FBS.xthumbsupx

UNH Fanboi
December 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
God forbid a non-profit organization not make a profit on something

henfan
December 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM
The FBS playoff system is not a money loser. Not sure where you got that ridiculous idea, my fellow Hen. The NCAA's FBS expenses are more than covered by the NCAA via the bids placed by home teams.

There may be a few teams hosting in the first round who do not cover their bids, but that's their fault for bidding beyond their means. The vast majority of playoff hosts cover their expenses, especially as the playoffs advance beyond Thanksgiving weekend.

There isn't tons of money to be made with the FCS playoffs to be sure. However, aside from the top FBS bowls, very few in D-I clean up on the post-season. In fact, many FBS teams lose money on bowls. This isn't professional sports.

The FCS playoffs are indeed expanding beginning in 2010. Read on:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=fcs-playoffs-set-to-expand-in-2010&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

appfan2008
December 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
The FBS playoff system is not a money loser. Not sure where you got that ridiculous idea, my fellow Hen. The NCAA's FBS expenses are more than covered by the NCAA via the bids placed by home teams.

There may be a few teams hosting in the first round who do not cover their bids, but that's their fault for bidding beyond their means. The vast majority of playoff hosts cover their expenses, especially as the playoffs advance beyond Thanksgiving weekend.

There isn't tons of money to be made with the FCS playoffs to be sure. However, aside from the top FBS bowls, very few in D-I clean up on the post-season. In fact, many FBS teams lose money on bowls. This isn't professional sports.

The FCS playoffs are indeed expanding beginning in 2010. Read on:http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=fcs-playoffs-set-to-expand-in-2010&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

hello... has this dude been hiding under a rock or what???

93henfan
December 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah AAadict, no offense intended, but you're flat wrong on the points of playoff expansion and finances. Also, since your join date was 2007, I'm surprised that Syntax Error hasn't banned you until you change your name to FCSadict. Also, don't ever say anything bad about App State on here. Living at 3,000 ft above sea level east of the Mississippi gives you really thin skin it seems.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM

The FCS playoffs are indeed expanding beginning in 2010. Read on:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=fcs-playoffs-set-to-expand-in-2010&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Didn't know Barack Obama was a Delaware fan... xeyebrowx

93henfan
December 1st, 2008, 11:14 AM
Didn't know Barack Obama was a Delaware fan... xeyebrowx

Well he did hit up Delaware when he picked his campaign manager David Plouffe (UD '89) and his Vice President Joe Biden (UD '65).

Of course John McCain also picked his campaign manager from Delaware as well, Steve Scmidt (UD '93), and that year was the best damn class to ever go through the school!xthumbsupx

Ronin
December 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
God forbid a non-profit organization not make a profit on something

Classic ! xbowx

If the NCAA really wanted to boost attendance/profit they might want to consider holding the final somewhere besides Chattanooga.

Mntneer
December 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah AAadict, no offense intended, but you're flat wrong on the points of playoff expansion and finances. Also, since your join date was 2007, I'm surprised that Syntax Error hasn't banned you until you change your name to FCSadict. Also, don't ever say anything bad about App State on here. Living at 3,000 ft above sea level east of the Mississippi gives you really thin skin it seems.

Can't believe it took 11 posts for someone to make a negative comment about App xrolleyesx

93henfan
December 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Can't believe it took 11 posts for someone to make a negative comment about App xrolleyesx

And only four for an App State fan to make a negative comment.

Mntneer
December 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM
And only four for an App State fan to make a negative comment.

Seems to me the entire topic of the thread is pretty negative. The OP was just called out on it.

GATA
December 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM
Fixed. FBS makes loads of cash.

You mean the big time BCS conference schools make loads of cash. There are at least 50 teams in FBS losing money on football.

In the FCS there MIGHT be 15-20 schools that break even in football...I'm sure no more than a handful even make any money .

AAadict
December 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the link AppFan2008. I am shocked that the NCAA would expand the 16 team format in 2010 but I am under a rock a lot. How do they plan to move the playoffs the week before Thanksgiving? No bye week? One week earlier in August to start the season? Oh well...I'm eating crow on my thread post but I still think the NCAA pays for losses on FCS playoffs with major FBS bowl games. I enjoy the playoffs so great news.

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
What's wrong with Chattanooga? I don't see a lot of cities fighting for the game. Local tickets are sold out. Where would it go? Who wants it?

Eaglegus2
December 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM
What's wrong with Chattanooga? I don't see a lot of cities fighting for the game. Local tickets are sold out. Where would it go? Who wants it?

Don't be surprised if Charleston, SC puts in a bid for the Championship site.

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM
I have heard that as well. Guess we will see. But they will low ball the bid and not get it, then complain and claim they don't need it, only trying to do others a favor--kind of like the SoCon basketball torunament--they bid half of what Chattanooga bid, and then act surprised they didn't get it.