PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinals and the square root of 8 is ±2 x v2

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
v8 = v(4*2) = v4 * v2 = ±2 * v2 = ±2.82842712
Since 8 = 4 x 2, we can say v8 = v4 x v2 = ±2 x v2
v8 = ±2 x v2 is an "easy way" to write the answer. The v2 is an irrational number, so any decimal equivalent is going to be less accurate than this expression. A decimal equivalent can be supplied, though. v8 = ±2.8284271247461900976

QUARTERFINALS
8 teams, 4 games

GAMES
2: Rematches from last year's playoffs (Richmond @ App St, New Hampshire @ UNI)
2: Rematches from this year's regular season (Villanova @ JMU, Weber St @ Montana)

LOCATIONS
2: Rematches from last year's playoffs at the same place
2: Rematches from this year's regular season at the opposite place

BRACKET
2: Upper bracket has the 2 rematches from this year's regular season
2: Lower bracket has the 2 rematches from last year's playoffs
2: Upper bracket has the 2 CAA teams
2: Lower bracket has the 2 CAA teams
2: Upper bracket has 2 games that guarantees a spot in the semifinals for a conference (2, BSC and CAA)

All those twos. Did I leave any out? Oh yeah, Weber plays Montana at 2 p.m. ET.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
My brain hurts.

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
whats the point of the sqrt of 8 thing?

oh and 22 players on the field

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I take this as a good sign for the number 2 seed. :D

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
v8 = v(4*2) = v4 * v2 = ±2 * v2 = ±2.82842712
Since 8 = 4 x 2, we can say v8 = v4 x v2 = ±2 x v2
v8 = ±2 x v2 is an "easy way" to write the answer. The v2 is an irrational number, so any decimal equivalent is going to be less accurate than this expression. A decimal equivalent can be supplied, though. v8 = ±2.8284271247461900976

QUARTERFINALS
8 teams, 4 games

GAMES
2: Rematches from last year's playoffs (Richmond @ App St, New Hampshire @ UNI)
2: Rematches from this year's regular season (Villanova @ JMU, Weber St @ Montana)

LOCATIONS
2: Rematches from last year's playoffs at the same place
2: Rematches from this year's regular season at the opposite place

BRACKET
2: Upper bracket has the 2 rematches from this year's regular season
2: Lower bracket has the 2 rematches from last year's playoffs
2: Upper bracket has the 2 CAA teams
2: Lower bracket has the 2 CAA teams
2: Upper and Lower brackets each have a game that guarantees a spot in the semifinals for a conference (2, BSC and CAA)

All those twos. Did I leave any out? Oh yeah, Weber plays Montana at 2 p.m. ET.

That was your 2 cents?

Two much math. I want a refund.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
whats the point of the sqrt of 8 thing?
oh and 22 players on the fieldand of course 2 games in each of the 2 brackets (upper and lower) that will render 2 winners in each bracket

square root of 8 is ±2 x v2 - 8 teams, 2 games x 2, blah blah blah, just a hokey title as I was seeing all these twos align

Jackman
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
2: Upper and Lower brackets each have a game that guarantees a spot in the semifinals for a conference (2, BSC and CAA)
Aren't those games in the same half of the bracket?

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Aren't those games in the same half of the bracket?I just noticed that. Fixed it to read:

2: Upper bracket has 2 games that guarantees a spot in the semifinals for a conference (2, BSC and CAA)

xthumbsupx

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I take this as a good sign for the number 2 seed. :D

But could it also mean the 2 seed exits in the...2nd round???xchinscratchx

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM
But could it also mean the 2 seed exits in the...2nd round???xchinscratchxAhhhhhhhh, very good!

8 teams in the quarterfinals which is round 2 of the playoffs! xbowx

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM
and of course 2 games in each of the 2 brackets (upper and lower) that will render 2 winners in each bracket

square root of 8 is ±2 x v2 - 8 teams, 2 games x 2, blah blah blah, just a hokey title as I was seeing all these twos align

ohhhh i got ya. sorry. math geek. figures that would spark my interest. xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Not to be a smart-a^^, but the square root of a positive number is always a positive number and not ±whatever. xpeacex

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I just noticed that. Fixed it to read:

2: Upper bracket has 2 games that guarantees a spot in the semifinals for 2 conferences, ( BSC and CAA)

xthumbsupx

fixed :D

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Not to be a smart-a^^, but the square root of a positive number is always a positive number and not ±whatever. xpeacex

2 x 2 = 4 AND -2 x -2 =4..... thus the sqrt of 4 is +/-2

and as a side note, we could have avoided this if he used the cubic root of 8 since that is in fact always positive, and also equal to 2

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
2 x 2 = 4 AND -2 x -2 =4..... thus the sqrt of 4 is +/-2

and as a side note, we could have avoided this if he used the cubic root of 8 since that is in fact always positive, and also equal to 2

I don't remember because it's been a year since I've taken Calculus, but he's right. The square root of a number is always positive. There's some rule involving functions involved that I never really understood, but he's right.

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I don't remember because it's been a year since I've taken Calculus, but he's right. The square root of a number is always positive. There's some rule involving functions involved that I never really understood, but he's right.

well we can take a look at the function y = sqrt x and find that x cannot be negative. a negative number gives you an imaginary answer, but the graph it self actually looks like a sideways parabola, thus having a domain of x>= 0 and a Range of +/- infiniti. There are more than one sqrt of a number, just look at the name, square root, the root of the square the roots are 2 and -2.

clenz
November 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Holy hell. I haven't taken one math class since my JR year of high school, and that was my first semester of college. I am so lost at this point.

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
this thread got off track.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE 2s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that should put it back on the place it was intended.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
well we can take a look at the function y = sqrt x and find that x cannot be negative. a negative number gives you an imaginary answer, but the graph it self actually looks like a sideways parabola, thus having a domain of x>= 0 and a Range of +/- infiniti. There are more than one sqrt of a number, just look at the name, square root, the root of the square the roots are 2 and -2.

I think the catch was that a sideways parabola would not be a function because it's got more than two y-coordinates for any given x.

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I had 2 much 2 eat 4 lunch. Is that relevant?
:D

Keeper
November 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Bodes well for WSU:

If Weber, JMU, & ASU win, there will be all

2-word school names in the SEMI's.

Weber State
James Madison
Appalachian State
Northern Iowa or New Hampshire.

Yeah, I know, enough already.

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I think the catch was that a sideways parabola would not be a function because it's got more than two y-coordinates for any given x.

true i shouldn't have said function (nice catch), but that doesn't change the fact that there are two answers. and you just said that, two y (the output) to one x.... therefore and sqrt (x) has 2 y's a positive and a negative. It isn't really appropriate to use it, but that doesn't mean it was wrong.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
true i shouldn't have said function (nice catch), but that doesn't change the fact that there are two answers. and you just said that, two y (the output) to one x.... therefore and sqrt (x) has 2 y's a positive and a negative. It isn't really appropriate to use it, but that doesn't mean it was wrong.

I'll take your word for it. I'm just glad to not be taking a math class this yearxthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM

The square root of a positive number is always positive because that is how it is defined. It is not just a modification used to make the function satisfy the "vertical line test".

Sorry to carry on this tangent on a football board, but hey, why not learn a few things while discussing Division I football? xpeacex

MountaineerGuy
November 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM
This reminds me of a bad movie that only Jim Carey would do......

"OH MY GOD!!! There's 5 blades on that fan...2+3=5...2+3...23!!!"

Sorry if that's too cynical =p

Hellgate60
November 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I think the square root of 8 is a positive number while if the equation was x^2=8 and we solved for x by taking the square root of each side x would then equal a plus or minus number. Math is fun!!!!!

wideright82
December 1st, 2008, 08:07 AM
The square root of a positive number is always positive because that is how it is defined. It is not just a modification used to make the function satisfy the "vertical line test".

Sorry to carry on this tangent on a football board, but hey, why not learn a few things while discussing Division I football? xpeacex

I am done arguing it. It really isn't worth it and this is the football discussion board. You are all right, I am wrong, I don't feel like writing any more. Sorry, I just really don't care enough to keep going, cared a little at first, I am not in school anymore, so I don't need to be writing mathematical proofs (worst ever). xpeacex

appfan2008
December 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Ill be rooting for the #2 seed and that is all that matters...

Syntax Error
December 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
2 brackets (upper and lower) with 2 games and 2 seeds. If the 2 seeds win then the championships are down to 2 games which are repeats of 2 recent championship games, which are the only time the 2 teams have ever played each other. Brilliant!
If all the home teams win this weekend, then the next round will have rematches of the 2004 and 2005 National Championships on consecutive nights and will be the only meetings of JMU/UM and UNI/ASU ever besides the aforementioned games.

Of course, they all have to hold serve this weekend. But here's a summary

-You have Richmond going back to Boone after losing the 55-35 shootout in the National Semifinals last year in a game which Armanti Edwards had a field day. He ran for 313 yards and 4 TD's and was 14/16 passing for 186 yards and 3 TD's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q

-You have UNH facing UNI in the playoffs for the third time in the last four years. In 2005 UNH was the #1 seed and UNI traveled up to Durham in the 2nd round and knocked off UNH 24-21 despite being out-gained 631-351 in total yards. Then UNH went to #1 seed UNI in the 1st round last year which UNI won 38-35 on a fingertip touchdown catch with seven seconds left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5o75sY-WE

-You have Villanova facing JMU in a rematch from the regular season in which JMU won on a Hail Mary with no time left by the score of 23-19 at Nova which remains probably the best ending to a FCS game this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrotoFmp8wc

Then you have Weber St at Montana. Weber ended a ten year losing streak to the Griz with a 45-28 win in Odgen, Utah. Weber came back from an early second quarter 21-10 deficit to score 28 straight points and they never looked back as they snapped Montana's 25-game regular season winning streak and 16-game conference win streak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffqIG6XqDc