PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Conference Changes

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What are the changes we're looking at in 2009?

Old Dominion joins as an independent. Does NC Central officially join the MEAC? Bryant to the NEC? Was Marist moving to the Pioneer? (I forget, I seem to remember that they were but im not certain,)

Any other changes coming....

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Old Dominion joins as an independent. Does NC Central officially join the MEAC? Bryant to the NEC? Was Marist moving to the Pioneer? (I forget, I seem to remember that they were but im not certain,)

Appalachian joins the CAA

Big Dawg
November 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
NCCU will be independent next season. I know the MEAC is looking at NCCU.

Big Dawg
November 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM
FAMU is moving to the SoCon in 2010...xeekx xeekx xeekx

Just playin...xlolx

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM

...and Wofford dominates the Socon (or GSU returns to power)

beauvighn
November 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
'Da Rattlers in 'da SoCon. No offense but we have enough dreadlocks in the SoCon now as it is.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM
'Da Rattlers in 'da SoCon. No offense but we have enough dreadlocks in the SoCon now as it is.

Let me see here....Armanti Edwards, Coco Hillary, Mychael Johnson, and who else have I missed?

proasu89
November 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Please explain what that has to do with anything.xeyebrowx

yosef1969
November 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Let me see here....Armanti Edwards, Coco Hillary, Mychael Johnson, and who else have I missed?

Jacque Roman...

Big Dawg
November 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM

You can NEVER have enough dreadlocks on a football team.

Big Dawg
November 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Please explain what that has to do with anything.xeyebrowx

It doesn't...I've just kinda learned to ignore and go with the flow. *smh*

Native
November 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
xnonox
'Da Rattlers in 'da SoCon. No offense but we have enough dreadlocks in the SoCon now as it is. xnonox xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Philliesfan980
November 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Is this true, or is this a joke?

dbackjon
November 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Is this true, or is this a joke?

joke...

Big Dawg
November 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM
joke...

GOOD...xlolx

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
thanks for hijacking the thread -_-

clenz
November 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
NDSU to the CAA. They feel that they are above the MVFC, and only struggled because of the level of talent in the MFVC. You know, like when a kid does bad in school because the material is "too easy".

th0m
November 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Isn't Stony Brook set to play in the Big South? Or did they already play in that conference this year?

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Isn't Stony Brook set to play in the Big South? Or did they already play in that conference this year?
they played this year.

YaleFootballFan
November 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
As far as I can tell, there will be no changes in the Ivy League for 2009. ;)

Jackman
November 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Presbyterian finishes its transition.
Big South gets a CQ (conditional qualifier).
Georgia State brings in its first recruiting class but doesn't play.
Farewell, Iona. :(
Will UCA be playoff eligible?

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Presbyterian finishes its transition.
Big South gets a CQ (conditional qualifier).
Georgia State brings in its first recruiting class but doesn't play.
Farewell, Iona. :(
Will UCA be playoff eligible?Presby is scheduled to receive full NCAA Division I status in 2011-12 so they are still in transition.
Big South does not get a bridge AQ chance, only the NEC.
UCA is not playoff eligible.

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Presby is scheduled to receive full NCAA Division I status in 2011-12 so they are still in transition.
Big South does not get a bridge AQ chance, only the NEC.
UCA is not playoff eligible.
Will Presby be listed with the Big South in '09 or still as a Indy?

OL FU
November 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Furman is joining the Patriot league:o

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Will Presby be listed with the Big South in '09 or still as a Indy?They will remain listed in the Big South. (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&disp=teams) But the conference might want to change some of the claims... think UCA and the SLC this year... even though the conference doesn't have an AQ this could be a thorn in 2010...
ELIGIBLE IN 2009: The newly scheduled contests with Stony Brook now allow the Blue Hose to become eligible for the regular season Big South Conference football championship beginning in 2009. Eligible for the regular season championship in all of its other 13 varsity sports that the Big South sponsors in the 2008-09 school year, PC will now become officially eligible for regular season championships and All-Conference honors and awards in every sport sponsored by the Big South beginning with the 2009-10 school year. The Blue Hose are not eligible to compete in either a conference tournament or an NCAA Division I tournament until the 2011-2012 school year, except for PC men’s tennis and softball. PC men’s tennis and softball are being placed on the "fast-track" allowed by NCAA regulations that permit two Olympic sports to be eligible for championships after only two transitional seasons. The PC men’s tennis and softball programs will both be eligible to play in the Big South Conference Tournament and advance to the NCAA Championships in the spring of 2010. Overall, the 2008-09 school year will be the second year of PC’s transition into NCAA Division I athletics. The Blue Hose are scheduled to receive full NCAA Division I status in 2011-12. All PC teams at the time will become eligible for Conference and NCAA postseason play and awards. Also in the 2011-12 school year, PC will become officially included in all NCAA Division I statistical categories.If the conference says they are eligible for the 2010 football championship then they would be in violation of NCAA rules.

SuperJon
November 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Kyle Kallander is dumb enough to do that.

ChickenMan
November 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Furman is joining the Patriot league:o

maybe Delaware should go with them... :p

maristdb89
November 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Marist does join the Pioneer League in 2009

kirkblitz
November 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
They will remain listed in the Big South. (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&disp=teams) But the conference might want to change some of the claims... think UCA and the SLC this year... even though the conference doesn't have an AQ this could be a thorn in 2010...If the conference says they are eligible for the 2010 football championship then they would be in violation of NCAA rules.

what are you saying, the big south wouldnt get the AQ in 2010?

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
What about Bryant? Stay listed as Ind or listed as NEC even though there still in transition?

dgreco
November 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
What about Bryant? Stay listed as Ind or listed as NEC even though there still in transition?

That is a weird thing, because they say and the nec says not a member until 2012, but already this year they are competing in NEC conference championships and basically every year they are playing for conference championships. the last sport will be basketball in 2012.

Like I said this year alone they are competing in 8 NEC Conference championships.

Also, another team as an Indy next year is South Alabama.

Changes:

Big South - Presbyterian
MEAC - Possibly NCCU? Maybe SSU? Voting is at the end of the year I think.
Pioneer - Marist
NEC - Bryant?
Independents - South Alabama, Old Dominion, NCCU?, SSU?, Bryant?

Col Hogan
November 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Programs.....git yer programs here...

Can't tell the conferences and teams apart without yer programs...

http://media.loudounextra.com/img/photos/2007/08/18/10193763H9534238_t764a.JPG

fencer24
November 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Just for fun, (because it ain't going to happen) suppose that the Big Sky added Cal Poly, UC Davis, NDSU, UND and SDSU and split into two divisions like the CAA. Have a championship game between the two divisions the last week, and have crossover rotations between the teams in the divisions.
Might be able to get more than two teams into the playoffs that way.

R3TRO
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Dayton moves to Big 10(11 now)... FCS didn't provide adequate competition.

Touchdown Yosef
November 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Just for fun, (because it ain't going to happen) suppose that the Big Sky added Cal Poly, UC Davis, NDSU, UND and SDSU and split into two divisions like the CAA. Have a championship game between the two divisions the last week, and have crossover rotations between the teams in the divisions.

no the conference championship game would hurt you, then you could declare a winner and one good team would have a loss just before the playoffs. Just leave it up to debate and see if the committee will put a bunch of teams in.

it may also help to have a big sky rep as the chair of the committee.

ATrain
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Dayton moves to Big 10(11 now)... FCS didn't provide adequate competition.

That would actually make it 12 teams in the Big10 (Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Wiscosin, Illinois are the 11 teams that comprise the BigTen) xrulesx

R3TRO
November 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
That would actually make it 12 teams in the Big10 (Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Wiscosin, Illinois are the 11 teams that comprise the BigTen) xrulesx

That's embarassing. :D

aceinthehole
December 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
That is a weird thing, because they say and the nec says not a member until 2012, but already this year they are competing in NEC conference championships and basically every year they are playing for conference championships. the last sport will be basketball in 2012.

Like I said this year alone they are competing in 8 NEC Conference championships.

Changes:

Big South - Presbyterian
Pioneer - Marist
NEC - Bryant?

Its not confusing at all.

Bryant does not join the NEC (except M Lax and W Socc) until 2012.

The NEC is encouraging current NEC members to schedule Bryant in all sports and is beginning to fit them into the NEC conference rotation. However, these are not conference games, and Bryant is officially an D-I Independent for 3 more years.

asucrutch23
December 1st, 2008, 08:28 AM

That's embarassing. :D

http://www.college-traditions.com/COLLEGE/Big10/PagePics/BIG10.jpg

See the 11?? :D

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
If NCCU does (eventually) rejoin the MEAC that will give it 11 football playing schools (according to Wikipedia). At that point does some CIAA team try to move up to make an even dozen, and will the MEAC split into a North/South or East/West conference?

dgreco
December 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM

The NEC is encouraging current NEC members to schedule Bryant in all sports and is beginning to fit them into the NEC conference rotation. However, these are not conference games, and Bryant is officially an D-I Independent for 3 more years.

They are competing in the M/W XC championships, M/W indoor track, Swimming, M/W outdoor track all for championships this year. I think it is odd they are eligible for those but not considered a member of the conference yet.

aceinthehole
December 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM
They are competing in the M/W XC championships, M/W indoor track, Swimming, M/W outdoor track all for championships this year. I think it is odd they are eligible for those but not considered a member of the conference yet.

Again, the NEC and its current members are trying to bring Bryant into the fold early, but Bryant is not a NEC member and is not eligible for conference championships (except M Lax) until 2012.

Bryant competed in the M/W NEC Cross Country Championships, but were not scored. They may compete in swimming and track championships begining this year, but they won't be scored or eligible for NEC championships/honors until 2012.

GATA
December 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM
The CAA needs to drop 2 teams and one of them needs to be Richmond so they can join the SOCON...we need a team from Virginia. We lost VMI years ago...Richmond would be a great addition.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM
The CAA needs to drop 2 teams and one of them needs to be Richmond so they can join the SOCON...we need a team from Virginia. We lost VMI years ago...Richmond would be a great addition.

How about the CAA trading Richmond and William & Mary to the SoCon for Appalachian State and Georgia Southern? Then the SoCon can send Chattanooga to the OVC and trade Western and UNCG to the Big South for VMI, Presbyterian, and High Point. Only then can the SoCon fulfill its dream of becoming the home for all the elite privates and state-supported private-wannabes in the South.

carney2
December 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM

Unfortunately, that is a "copy" for the Patriot League.

but

Carolyn Femovich Donothing, chief honcho of the Patriot League, promises that there will be an announcement next summer. Maybe. That is, if there is something to announce. Which is possible. But not probable. Unless Mount Holyoke or Smith start a football program. But, are they up to the stringent academic standards?

On the other hand,

You can bet that the brain trust will tweak the Academic Index yet again because that is truly meaningful reform.

DX Man
December 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
NCCU will be independent next season. I know the MEAC is looking at NCCU.

Since the MEAC is getting NCCU, can we get SCSU to move to the SoCon. It would be nice to have a quality PUBLIC university football program.xpeacex

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM

Since the Patriot League no longer deems us worthy of membership in its hallowed, ivy-covered brotherhood, and DetroitFlyer single-handedly rejected our application to the PFL, looks like Colgate will have to apply to the Ivy League. Goodbye, playoffs!

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately, that is a "copy" for the Patriot League.

but

Carolyn Femovich Donothing, chief honcho of the Patriot League, promises that there will be an announcement next summer. Maybe. That is, if there is something to announce. Which is possible. But not probable. Unless Mount Holyoke or Smith start a football program. But, are they up to the stringent academic standards?

On the other hand,

You can bet that the brain trust will tweak the Academic Index yet again because that is truly meaningful reform.

Really looking forward to that Wellesley-The Citadel play-off game one of these days....

kirkblitz
December 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM
what are you saying, the big south wouldnt get the AQ in 2010?

answer please

dgreco
December 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM
answer please

read up on the SLC controversy with UCA this year. It is in the forum.

kirkblitz
December 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
read up on the SLC controversy with UCA this year. It is in the forum.

ahh i read that, ok i see what he means then. gay xbawlingx

Syntax Error
December 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM

Changes:

Big South - Presbyterian
Pioneer - Marist
NEC - Bryant?

Big South - Presbyterian <--- Not a change, Presby already joined the Big South for 2008
MEAC - <--- Nothing announced yet

Changes:
Pioneer - Marist <--- Yes, since they already accepted
NEC - Bryant? <--- Yes, since they already accepted
Independents - South Alabama, Old Dominion

Keeper
December 2nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
USA Jaguars website shows 2009 season tickets on sale
"based on six home games" schedule still TBA.

Any word yet on opponents lined up??

Keeper
December 2nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
Actually just found this from July newspaper.
I doubt that any FCS opponents on 2009 sched.
I would list USA as joining FCS for 2010 season.

South Alabama will start play in 2009 with a junior varsity schedule. Gottfried said the team has contracts with Hargrave Military (Va.), Fork Union (Va.), Pikeville (Ky.) and Kentucky Wesleyan. In 2010-11, the Jaguars will play a Football Championship Series schedule.

mvemjsunpx
December 2nd, 2008, 05:43 AM

You can't have a conference title game without giving up your auto-bid, so there's no real incentive to expand the Big Sky to 2 divisions. I'm in favor of keeping football as it is & then adding Utah Valley to the BSC as a non-football school to ease scheduling for other sports. Their basketball programs are pretty good.

I also have one question for this thread: when does Winston-Salem begin counting in the MEAC standings?

Husky Alum
December 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Unless Mount Holyoke or Smith start a football program. But, are they up to the stringent academic standards?

Let me tell you Smith may just have some talent there that could play on the O-Line - you ever see some of those Smithies?

That Holy Cross-Smith matchup should be a WAR.

(for those who don't know, Smith and Mt. Holyoke are women's colleges)

PhoenixPhan06
December 3rd, 2008, 09:39 AM

Elon will dethrone ASU as the 2009 SoCon Champs xnodx

andy7171
December 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM

Yeah the CAA South does need to get a bit more competitive. xlolx

tribe_pride
December 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM

How about the CAA trading Richmond and William & Mary to the SoCon for Appalachian State and Georgia Southern? Then the SoCon can send Chattanooga to the OVC and trade Western and UNCG to the Big South for VMI, Presbyterian, and High Point. Only then can the SoCon fulfill its dream of becoming the home for all the elite privates and state-supported private-wannabes in the South.

No way are we heading out of the conference but we'll gladly give you Richmond.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM

Hmmm yea talk about CAA south rivalry games. Could you imagine running that gauntlet? Seriously the one OOC game you would play would feel like a HS game based on attendance and stadium size. Wonder how many teams from the CAA would get in then. Would you consider a 6-5 team in that conference?

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I heard The Ivy was kicking Dartmouth out because of lack of competitive play and were adding NESCAC power Trinity up from DIII. Is this true?

DX Man
December 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Elon will dethrone ASU as the 2009 SoCon Champs xnodx

Sorry, but this was the year for you to try and knock us off. xnonox Next year's team is going to be awesome.xnodx

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
With ODU starting up, it would not be completely crazy at some point for ODU to join the CAA. It does compete in the CAA in other sports. If this happens, I assume a team from the CAA will be moved to balance the conference back out.

Thoughts?

soccerguy315
December 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I think ODU is joining CAA play in 2011 or 2012 (I think 2011)

so...

PhoenixPhan06
December 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry, but this was the year for you to try and knock us off. xnonox Next year's team is going to be awesome.xnodx

I like our chances at home in 2009 where its certain to not rain/sleet/snow/ice/wintry mix all game long. We're returning a large number of key players on both sides of the ball again next year and will have an even better running game to force down your throat. I'm sure it'll be close, but like I said, I like our chances at home.

Jackman
December 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
With ODU starting up, it would not be completely crazy at some point for ODU to join the CAA. It does compete in the CAA in other sports. If this happens, I assume a team from the CAA will be moved to balance the conference back out.

Thoughts?
On the chance you're not joking, ODU starts playing in the CAA in 2011. Georgia State starts playing in the CAA in 2012. There are currently no plans for anyone to leave. But there's endless speculation.

dgreco
December 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM

If they are not part of the NEC.... How come they are competing (not just participating) for the Indoor Track Championships? And how come they are in the Pre-Season polls?
I know you want to keep saying they are not part of the conference yet, but here it clearly states they are...

http://bryantbulldogs.com/sports/track/2008-09/News/2008Dec10IndoorTrackPreseasonPoll

aceinthehole
December 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
If they are not part of the NEC.... How come they are competing (not just participating) for the Indoor Track Championships? And how come they are in the Pre-Season polls?
I know you want to keep saying they are not part of the conference yet, but here it clearly states they are...

http://bryantbulldogs.com/sports/track/2008-09/News/2008Dec10IndoorTrackPreseasonPoll

From the NEC regarding Men's Indoor Track:

The Bryant Bulldogs, which officially become a core NEC member come 2012-13, are eligible for the conference title meet as it moves through the NCAA mandated reclassification process.

I guess they have some status for Indoor Track, but again they are not a conference member until 2012.

Read the thread about Central Arkansas not being able to win a conference title this year. Its a similar situation.

Bryant is D-I (transitional) now, but they are not a member of the NEC. I think its great you guys are joining and the NEC is trying to include Bryant as much as possible, but its a courtsey - not becasue you are a member. Bryant also doesn't get a vote in NEC until 2012.

B&G
December 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
You can't have a conference title game without giving up your auto-bid, so there's no real incentive to expand the Big Sky to 2 divisions. I'm in favor of keeping football as it is & then adding Utah Valley to the BSC as a non-football school to ease scheduling for other sports. Their basketball programs are pretty good.

I also have one question for this thread: when does Winston-Salem begin counting in the MEAC standings?

I think I heard 2011 for WSSU. Which is the same year MEAC officials are trying to start up so OOC games with the SoCon according to the MEAC commissioner.

elon77
December 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Since they are all south of the Mason Dixion Line, Richmond, JMU, and William and Mary join the Socon. I kind of like that.

TribeNomad
December 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I assure you W & M is not a "private wannabe"

asuboys
December 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Richmond and William & Mary used to be in the Southern Conference. Check out the SoCons history...

vmifan
December 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Richmond and William & Mary used to be in the Southern Conference. Check out the SoCons history...

yes, and they wanted out, and don't think they will wish to return.