PDA

View Full Version : TX St. Fan's View of Montana Atmosphere/Fans

Green26
November 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Here's a post I saw on egriz.com, which came from the Texas St. message board:

What a game day experience
It's early in Montana and I don't know why I'm up but I might as well post about the day yesterday.

I will gladly come back anytime. I've wanted to come watch a game in Missoula for years because of all I'd heard, it was beyond the hype.

Griz Nation is the real deal. Class does not even begin to describe these fans. And smart when it comes to cheering as well.

Was it loud? I was on the field and it was crazy loud, and they were missing 6 thousand people. I was impressed by the noise but more impressed by the fact that it did not matter who you were, young or old, man or woman, they screamed their lungs out. No darkside/light side situation here. It was almost like a game they played, how many false starts or timeouts can me make the opposing team take? Oh and you could hear a pin drop when they were on offense.

The second we got off the plane people were welcoming and thanking us for coming. Game day experience is tremendous. The athletic department puts a lot of stuff together and fully utilizes every resource they have to create a fun place to be. It's big time football here no doubt. If you came to WA-Griz with no affiliation either way experiencing a game here would make you want to be a fan.

The game was the game. You know what happened. Cold, wet and slushy rain. Fans still very nice when down 10-0 and worried about another first round loss. I wish I had a better word for Classy.

After the game walking out of the stadium Griz fans still continuing to thank us for making it to Missoula.

After we headed to the hotel to defrost our feet (I should have worn 3 pairs of socks) we headed to the bar area. First bar we walked into was Reds. Took all of 10 seconds for someone to grab us and pull us to the side and buy us a beer. This went on all night.

Griz fans were genuinely interested in hearing about our trip, our university and our experience being in Missoula. These are good people.

The second person to buy our group a pitcher was the owner of Big Sky Brewery, the makers of Moose Drool. Great guy and the different beers they brew are down right tasty. Moose Drool is one great tasting brew. Told me I could buy it at Sams Clubs in Texas. I will be looking for it when I get home.

Ate a nice greasy double burger with Jack cheese at Mo Club and chatted it up with more Griz fans.

We lost and I had a great freaking night, and I take losing hard if I think we could have won, and I do.

Now that Dr. Teis has been to Montana and seen how much fun it is I hope he sets us up for 1-1 with them. Really I don't care if it's just 1 and none. I just want as many excuses as I can have for coming up here (during the regular season, playoffs games need to be at home in San Marcos).

This is a place every Bobcat fan needs to visit. I'm really glad I made the trip, worth the trouble and every penny.

Thanks Griz Nation, you are one of a kind.

patssle
November 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'll post the same thing I posted in response, its a goal in my life to make it to a Griz game/visit the national parks in Montana.

joecooll6
November 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
That isnt how UNI fans remember it. Maybe its changed in the last 7 years?

Green26
November 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
JoeCool, your comment may say more about some of the UNI fans than Griz fans.

grizband
November 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Nah, its the same... maybe your coach should send out game film... xlolx

joecooll6
November 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Nah, its the same... maybe your coach should send out game film... xlolx

That was rediculously misplayed by your local media, but in any case it did not warrent your fans throwing tapes at our players and fans. Classy.

joecooll6
November 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
JoeCool, your comment may say more about some of the UNI fans than Griz fans.

I guess so, we just wernt prepared for the classy throwing of video tapes at our players and fans. Took us by suprise.

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I guess so, we just wernt prepared for the classy throwing of video tapes at our players and fans. Took us by suprise.

So you were at the game in Missoula in 2001? Because we had about 5 UNI fans at our tailgate and they mentioned nothing of video tapes being thrown both before or after the game. They were only ashamed at two of your players getting kicked out of the game - one for the infamous nut punch, and the other for spitting on a fan.

Took us by surprise.

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Look at it this way. In the unlikely event your team ever plays in Missoula again, the videotapes are smaller now. xlolx xlolx xlolx

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM

So you were at the game in Missoula in 2001? Because we had about 5 UNI fans at our tailgate and they mentioned nothing of video tapes being thrown both before or after the game. They were only ashamed at two of your players getting kicked out of the game - one for the infamous nut punch, and the other for spitting on a fan.

Took us by surprise.

Yeah. I keep hearing about these infamous tapes, but have yet to meet anyone who ever saw or heard anything firsthand.

joecooll6
November 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Just talking about this makes me angry so I'm gonna go ahead and stop before I say something stupid in a fit of emotion.

The players that got thrown out deserved to be thrown out.

Later.

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Just talking about this makes me angry so I'm gonna go ahead and stop before I say something stupid in a fit of emotion.

The players that got thrown out deserved to be thrown out.

Later.

No need to get angry I have just never heard of the videotape thing outside of this board. For the record, the Panthers fans that were in Missoula were all great. I look forward to someday getting into the UNI Dome.

ezgriz51
November 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Why is it that kind words about the WA/GRIZ game day experience from a visitors' perspective pulls the hater(s) out from under the rocks?

veinup
November 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Ahh, these kind words make me proud. The person who said them could get a different perspective in the student section though, when we were down 10-0 it wasnt sounding all that classy over there..xlolx

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ahh, these kind words make me proud. The person who said them could get a different perspective in the student section though, when we were down 10-0 it wasnt sounding all that classy over there..xlolx

I'm shocked....shocked, I say. 19 and 20 year olds NOT acting classy? whodathunkit??? xlolx xlolx

veinup
November 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yes yes, I suppose it is typical.. I'm generally over there for at least half the game, you get used to the "BULLLLL****", "get ****ed Bergy", etc etc.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
This guy has a much more favorable impression of Missoula than those other Bobcat fans. Go figure. xlolx

slostang
November 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Here's a post I saw on egriz.com, which came from the Texas St. message board:

What a game day experience
It's early in Montana and I don't know why I'm up but I might as well post about the day yesterday.

I will gladly come back anytime. I've wanted to come watch a game in Missoula for years because of all I'd heard, it was beyond the hype.

Griz Nation is the real deal. Class does not even begin to describe these fans. And smart when it comes to cheering as well.

Was it loud? I was on the field and it was crazy loud, and they were missing 6 thousand people. I was impressed by the noise but more impressed by the fact that it did not matter who you were, young or old, man or woman, they screamed their lungs out. No darkside/light side situation here. It was almost like a game they played, how many false starts or timeouts can me make the opposing team take? Oh and you could hear a pin drop when they were on offense.

The second we got off the plane people were welcoming and thanking us for coming. Game day experience is tremendous. The athletic department puts a lot of stuff together and fully utilizes every resource they have to create a fun place to be. It's big time football here no doubt. If you came to WA-Griz with no affiliation either way experiencing a game here would make you want to be a fan.

The game was the game. You know what happened. Cold, wet and slushy rain. Fans still very nice when down 10-0 and worried about another first round loss. I wish I had a better word for Classy.

After the game walking out of the stadium Griz fans still continuing to thank us for making it to Missoula.

After we headed to the hotel to defrost our feet (I should have worn 3 pairs of socks) we headed to the bar area. First bar we walked into was Reds. Took all of 10 seconds for someone to grab us and pull us to the side and buy us a beer. This went on all night.

Griz fans were genuinely interested in hearing about our trip, our university and our experience being in Missoula. These are good people.

The second person to buy our group a pitcher was the owner of Big Sky Brewery, the makers of Moose Drool. Great guy and the different beers they brew are down right tasty. Moose Drool is one great tasting brew. Told me I could buy it at Sams Clubs in Texas. I will be looking for it when I get home.

Ate a nice greasy double burger with Jack cheese at Mo Club and chatted it up with more Griz fans.

We lost and I had a great freaking night, and I take losing hard if I think we could have won, and I do.

Now that Dr. Teis has been to Montana and seen how much fun it is I hope he sets us up for 1-1 with them. Really I don't care if it's just 1 and none. I just want as many excuses as I can have for coming up here (during the regular season, playoffs games need to be at home in San Marcos).

This is a place every Bobcat fan needs to visit. I'm really glad I made the trip, worth the trouble and every penny.

Thanks Griz Nation, you are one of a kind.

Carbon copy of my three visits to Missoula and Wa/Griz stadium. Awesome. I am already planning the trip for Cal Poly's visit in 2009. I can not wait.

OldSouth
November 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Some of the best fans in the country. Went flyfishing last year in Dillon Montana. Sat at the bar with my Appalachian hat. Didn't pay for a beer all night until I insisted. Talked about football all night.

Met fans at the last three Nat Ch in Chatty. They were supportive of all the teams there.

I hope this is the year get to play you. If not see you in Chatty no matter whose there.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM

What was the different?

Besides the ejections, arrests, snowballs, and streakers xlolx

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm shocked....shocked, I say. 19 and 20 year olds NOT acting classy? whodathunkit??? xlolx xlolx

Yeah but even then, I was over there and 100% of the unclassy remarks were directed at the Griz's struggles, nothing towards the opposing team.

Green26
November 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Maybe the tapes were thrown by UNI coaches coming down from the press box after the game. They may have been saying: "Okay. Here are the game tapes we refused to exchange with you before the game."

UNI is the only playoff team I can remember, who came and left with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure most of their fans are great, but the coach, several players and a few jerk fans made alot of us wonder what was up with UNI. The current UNI poster is a good reminder.

ValleyChamp
November 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I hope we play Montana real soon.