PDA

View Full Version : Attendance sucked across the board!!

UNHFan
November 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Its just the way it in the first round.. Second round should be better. Shocked that App State had only 19K JMU was a disgrace!! School closed or not UNH in its sleep would have had 7K We should have hosted crapy place or not!! And Montana?? What the hell happened their??

Really shocked the the big boys didnt sell out!

th0m
November 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Please. We were about 2k short of capacity.

You didn't host, so don't prognosticate on how you would have drawn. You may be new to this Playoff thing, but every school UNDER REPORTS their attendance during the playoffs.

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Its just the way it in the first round.. Second round should be better. Shocked that App State had only 19K JMU was a disgrace!! School closed or not UNH in its sleep would have had 7K We should have hosted crapy place or not!! And Montana?? What the hell happened their??

Really shocked the the big boys didnt sell out!Have you been following FCS for longer than a month or so? Honestly.

1) It's Thanksgiving weekend. Not everyone can make it to a football game.

2) Attendance has always been low for the first week of the playoffs. I think we had a record crowd for the first week last year, and it was barely over 20,000.

3) 19,000 is still far more than UNH could ever hope of getting at home, especially on thanksgiving weekend.

xcoffeex

Green26
November 30th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Montana never sells out for the Thanksgiving playoff game.

Montana's attendance was several hundred less than last year's first round attendance. It was raining in the morning, which probably impacted attendance.

It was the loudest crowd of the year. Texas St. got a motion penalty on it's first play of the game, near the famous North End Zone.

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 05:47 AM
19,000 for a first round game when school is out, over the holiday, a morning game basically and it's raining. I actually was surprised with the number myself. I thought 19,000 was a HUGE crowd given what I just said. I was expecting around 12-14k myself.

Yosef@therock
November 30th, 2008, 06:12 AM
19,000 for a first round game when school is out, over the holiday, a morning game basically and it's raining. I actually was surprised with the number myself. I thought 19,000 was a HUGE crowd given what I just said. I was expecting around 12-14k myself.

19,000 at App for a post Thanksgiving playoff is a record. JMU was like 16,000, and the year before that 12-14,000. Good job App.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Where did you guys get the 19k attendance stat from, that is not what's on goasu.com. I am not trying to dis ASU, but it was about an average first round attendance at App. According to goasu.com the attendance was 13,712 which was also the attendance stated by David Jackson on the 5th quarter show. Last year, we had just over 14k and the year before, I believe, we had over 16k. It's going to be low with students out, Thanksgiving, and not knowing more than a week in advance the time slot--not to mention the "not-so-good" weather in Boone.

Philliesfan980
November 30th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'm pretty new to FCS football - can someone please explain why attendance is under-reported across the board? What factors contribute to this?

appfan2008
November 30th, 2008, 07:03 AM
that is exactly right 13k was the announced attendance (it looked about right from where I was sitting) which was pretty impressive given the thanksgiving weekend noon game... and far less than ideal weather... in 2005 our first round game had 6k which was then a first round record for us... think about that... nothing new here... first round attendance is always low...

nmatsen
November 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
UNI had 1/2 the people in the dome for their first round Thanksgiving game this year as last, 2007, approximately 16,800, 2008, approximately 8,400

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I'm pretty new to FCS football - can someone please explain why attendance is under-reported across the board? What factors contribute to this?

Teams provide a guarantee to the NCAA, and the NCAA takes a cut of everything above the guarantee and expenses. It's in the schools interest to minimize attendance figures.

appfan2008
November 30th, 2008, 07:20 AM
UNI had 1/2 the people in the dome for their first round Thanksgiving game this year as last, 2007, approximately 16,800, 2008, approximately 8,400

why do you think the drop?

nmatsen
November 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Several will disagree, and even try to tell me that there have been "studies done" that disprove my theory, but, last year Iowa was 6-6 with no good wins and several poor losses and we beat in state big XII ISU. This year, we didn't play and in state FBS and come away with a win, and Iowa has a huge home win over Penn State and is staring down the barrel at a decent bowl game. This means we haven't had the opportunity to "get people on the bandwagon."

This is why I tell people I hate the Hawkeyes, they always ask why, this is it.

proasu89
November 30th, 2008, 07:38 AM

You're not the collection agent from the NCAA are you.xeyebrowx xlolx

Philliesfan980
November 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM
You're not the collection agent from the NCAA are you.xeyebrowx xlolx

This thread will self destruct in 30 seconds ;)

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM
This thread will self destruct in 30 seconds ;)

Well, while you're at it, can you tell Miles Brand he's a pansy and needs to let home field be home field.

Hellgate60
November 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I was pretty happy with the 19,000 fans that were at the griz game. These 19,000 fans are the really fans in my mind. They are the same 19,000 fans that make noise during the regular season. It was still pretty loud in Missoula yesterday

AppMAN04
November 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah I was at the App game yesterday and I was surprised at how many people were there. It was cold and rainy and not to mention thanksgiving weekend. I dont know if you guys know or not but Boone is all by its self on top of a mountain with most fans that come drive at least an hour or longer. so good job ASU and JMU.

HI54UNI
November 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM
why do you think the drop?

Several will disagree, and even try to tell me that there have been "studies done" that disprove my theory, but, last year Iowa was 6-6 with no good wins and several poor losses and we beat in state big XII ISU. This year, we didn't play and in state FBS and come away with a win, and Iowa has a huge home win over Penn State and is staring down the barrel at a decent bowl game. This means we haven't had the opportunity to "get people on the bandwagon."

You forgot to include that UNI is a suitcase college with a bunch of pussy students that think they have to go home and have mommy do their laundry every chance they get. xmadx

nmatsen
November 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
You forgot to include that UNI is a suitcase college with a bunch of pussy students that think they have to go home and have mommy do their laundry every chance they get. xmadx

I like it...

furpal87
November 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
So, when we got 20 and then 24 teams, that means the top teams won't have to play on this weekend, so that will improve attendance in a lot of minds?

UNHFan
November 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Have you been following FCS for longer than a month or so? Honestly.

1) It's Thanksgiving weekend. Not everyone can make it to a football game.

2) Attendance has always been low for the first week of the playoffs. I think we had a record crowd for the first week last year, and it was barely over 20,000.

3) 19,000 is still far more than UNH could ever hope of getting at home, especially on thanksgiving weekend.

xcoffeex

God I love you!!!!

Your favorite retard xbowx

Ronbo
November 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Crowds at first-round playoff games Saturday.

1. Montana (#4 seed) 19,489 vs. Tex State

2. App State (#2 seed) 13,712 vs. S. Carolina St

3. JMU (#1 seed) 12,826 vs. Wofford

4. N. Iowa (#3 seed) 8,477 vs. Maine

5. Cal Poly, 6,919, lost to WEBER

6. S. Illinois, 5,461, lost to New Hampshire

7. Villanova, 4,489, vs. Colgate

8. Richmond, 2,994, vs. Eastern Kentucky

clenz
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
You forgot to include that UNI is a suitcase college with a bunch of pussy students that think they have to go home and have mommy do their laundry every chance they get. xmadxMost college students do not have a washer or drier. The laundromats in Cedar Falls are disgusting. The East side of Waterloo would think they are dirty. Plus, they are a rip. They don't get the clothes clean in one cycle, nor do they get them dry.

I would agree with the disappointment in UNI being a suitcase college. That doesn't affect me though. I'm not making the 4.5 hour trip home every weekend. Hell, I've made the trip three times in a year....all holidays.

achrist70
November 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Even though we only had 8477 (The number seems a little low) the dome seemed to get just as loud as other games this year when we had around 13,000 in there. I guess the real fans showed up. I do think we should have at least 15,000 for UNH. And yeah with Iowa doing better this year (their still not very good), that takes away a lot of people from the UNI games.

JayJ79
November 30th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Most college students do not have a washer or drier. The laundromats in Cedar Falls are disgusting. The East side of Waterloo would think they are dirty. Plus, they are a rip. They don't get the clothes clean in one cycle, nor do they get them dry.

bah! they had a whole week to get laundry done prior to Saturday. :p

JayJ79
November 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Well, while you're at it, can you tell Miles Brand he's a pansy and needs to let home field be home field.

At least they eased up on the restrictions somewhat in the past few years. It used to be really bad.

igo4uni
November 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I hate Iowa just because their fans are arrogant pricks.

clenz
November 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
And drunken douchebags

beauvighn
November 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I thought JMU/Wofford had a great crowd. It may not have benn SRO but it looked pretty full to me. I do know that it was very loud. The sound seems to reverberate off of those bleachers.

mcveyrl
November 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I thought JMU/Wofford had a great crowd. It may not have benn SRO but it looked pretty full to me. I do know that it was very loud. The sound seems to reverberate off of those bleachers.

I thought it was pretty packed too.

Purple For Life
November 30th, 2008, 10:40 AM
UNI is coming off of Thanksgiving break...

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Teams provide a guarantee to the NCAA, and the NCAA takes a cut of everything above the guarantee and expenses. It's in the schools interest to minimize attendance figures.

Do you really think a school wants to mess with the NCAA's money? I bet the attendance figures are spot on.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
At least they eased up on the restrictions somewhat in the past few years. It used to be really bad.

Oh, I know. It's still ridiculous, but oh well.

grizzpaw
November 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
let the home team BE the home team!

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Really shocked the the big boys didnt sell out!

You're clueless. JMU was 12,826 attendance out of 15,500. Thats about 83% full. UNH wouldn't have come close to that. And if UNH had 7k, that would have sucked.

apaladin
November 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Do you really think a school wants to mess with the NCAA's money? I bet the attendance figures are spot on.

I think you are correct. The NCAA monitors this very closely. The figures are more accurate than regular season. Very few freebies, no inflating etc.
The schools have to pay for every ticket. and every ticket is accounted for. You don't think for one minute the NCAA would take the schools word on how many were there do you?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I was very happy with the 12,800+ for the JMU-Wofford game. I do expect a SRO crowd for Villanova next weekend.

Go Dukes.

HI54UNI
November 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Ditto
xnodx xnodx

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Don't know where the 19k figure for the App/SCSU game came from, but the official attendance was 13,900, as announced by the App radio guy, David Jackson. That seemed about right to me.

South Carolina Duke
November 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I thought it was pretty packed too.

I thought we had a good crowd, nowhere like it has been the entire season though.
Remember, a lot of fans and students were gone, not to mention the UVA/Va Tech game on the same day. Some of our fans have family members in each and the VA schools.

Nest weekend look out

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
OFFICIAL!

Crowds at first-round playoff games Saturday.

1. Montana (#4 seed) 19,489 vs. Tex State

2. App State (#2 seed) 13,712 vs. S. Carolina St

3. JMU (#1 seed) 12,826 vs. Wofford

4. N. Iowa (#3 seed) 8,477 vs. Maine

5. Cal Poly, 6,919, lost to WEBER

6. S. Illinois, 5,461, lost to New Hampshire

7. Villanova, 4,489, vs. Colgate

8. Richmond, 2,994, vs. Eastern Kentucky

-0-

2 WEST sites totaled 26,408
3 CAA sites totaled 20,309
2 Mo Valley sites totaled 13,938
1 Southern site (Appy) totaled 13,712

-0-

Total attendance at 8 games: 74,367

Montana attendance = 26.2% of attendance
Montana attendance (19,489) almost equaled combined attendance of 4 non-seeded games (19,865)
Other 7 averaged 7,840 (average of 13,626 at four seeded, average of 4,946 at four non-seeded).

-0-

If ALL Montana tickets went at $25 per (I have no idea how many comps there were)

Saturday's gate in Missoula was $487,225

-0-

Because no other school has a "lowest" regular-season ticket price of $25 for non-students, nobody else's gate has a snowball's chance of creating as large a gate.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Ditto.

T-Dog
November 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
If ALL Montana tickets went at $25 per (I have no idea how many comps there were)

Saturday's gate in Missoula was $487,225

-0-

Because no other school has a "lowest" regular-season ticket price of $25 for non-students, nobody else's gate has a snowball's chance of creating as large a gate.

How much are your student tickets worth? Ours are $5, kid tickets are $15 and everyone else is $25. Now I know the official attendance is 13K, but there had to be more people there. There wasn't anyone on the hill (they weren't letting people sit on the hill) and the stands looked 4/5 full and since our capacity is right above 20K, that puts it around 16K.

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
How much are your student tickets worth? Ours are $5, kid tickets are $15 and everyone else is $25. Now I know the official attendance is 13K, but there had to be more people there. There wasn't anyone on the hill (they weren't letting people sit on the hill) and the stands looked 4/5 full and since our capacity is right above 20K, that puts it around 16K.

Student tickets are $5. Guest Passes being $10.

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM

And all I know is that the NCAA got our attendance number correct, I don't know how they would flaw the other games...but it does seem they underestimate it.

MountaineerGuy
November 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I'm sure this has been said, but I haven't read the whole thread...

It's called Thanksgiving. It happens every year. It's an American holiday. We're playing American Football.

In America.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm sure this has been said, but I haven't read the whole thread...

It's called Thanksgiving. It happens every year. It's an American holiday. We're playing American Football.

In America.

America. F@#k yeah.

AAadict
November 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Anybody seen some of these pre-New Years bowl games for FBS? Sometimes it looks like they have 10 fans for every 100 seats. I was at the Villanova game and it looked 3/4th full. Small colleges lead to smaller attendance. Wofford, Colgate, and Villanova total a bit more than 10K students. I'm glad that going to FCS games means you can hear the players pads hitting. Want bigger crowds? Go see Penn St. or UNC.

MountaineerGuy
November 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
America. F@#k yeah.

Now you're getting it!xthumbsupx

achrist70
November 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Agreed, all the students think they get a great football game experience, we don't have to pay for regular season tickets, and we don't sit in the corner of a endzone

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I didn't think the 19+K at Wa-Griz was that bad, pretty normal even with the suck a$$ rain :D